PDA

View Full Version : Remember tight ends? Broncos do. They’re set to bring back the pass-catching TE.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-28-2016, 10:07 PM
It’s not that Peyton Manning carried some bias against tight ends. They just rarely entered his consciousness last season. And the Broncos, under their former quarterback, morphed into a team with little need for the overlooked guys on the ends of the line.

But in this, the second year of coach Gary Kubiak’s run-heavy variation of the West Coast offense, with Manning now retired, the Broncos probably will turn an eager eye to their tight ends.

The tight ends have returned to Denver — even if they never left.

“Peyton always knew where he wanted to go, based on coverage,” said Virgil Green, a sixth-year tight end who became so dispensable last season, the Broncos made him a fullback.

“This a tight end-friendly offense,” Green said Thursday at Dove Valley. “This year, the quarterbacks we have, they’re expected to read coverage more and go to the open guy. I think tight ends should be a little more successful than years past.”

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/07/28/denver-broncos-tight-ends/

TXBRONC
07-29-2016, 08:43 AM
rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/07/28/denver-broncos-tight-ends/

If I added it up right Denver had 78 catches out of the tight end position. I don't think that's terrible.

EastCoastBronco
07-29-2016, 09:36 AM
Owen Daniels was the only offence we had in the AFC Championship.

TXBRONC
07-29-2016, 10:22 AM
Owen Daniels was the only offence we had in the AFC Championship.

Edited:

Daniels, even though he didn't score any touchdowns was one of the reasons that Denver was able to keep the clock moving in the first half of the Super Bowl.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-29-2016, 10:23 AM
Manning use to love Dallas Clark. He also threw to Julius a lot when he suited up.

I don't think it's accurate to say Manning doesn't like TE's.

BroncoWave
07-29-2016, 10:26 AM
Daniels, even though he didn't score any touchdowns was one of the reasons that Denver was able to keep the clock moving in the first half.

Daniels scored both of our TDs in that game.

TXBRONC
07-29-2016, 10:27 AM
Daniels scored both of our TDs in that game.

I wasn't meaning the AFCCG.

BroncoWave
07-29-2016, 10:28 AM
I wasn't meaning the AFCCG.

What game were you referring to? You were responding to a post about the AFCCG.

TXBRONC
07-29-2016, 10:29 AM
What game were you referring to? You were responding to a post about the AFCCG.

Go back and look and then you'll know.

TXBRONC
07-29-2016, 10:40 AM
Manning use to love Dallas Clark. He also threw to Julius a lot when he suited up.

I don't think it's accurate to say Manning doesn't like TE's.

The tight end was still a big part of the offense last season. He didn't have one prolific pass catching tight end but add up the numbers but put up all three that caught passes the numbers are solid other than touchdowns. Everyone's receiving touchdown numbers were down.

NightTrainLayne
07-29-2016, 11:58 AM
Probably my biggest worry about the Kubiak hiring, is also our biggest potential strength going forward.

Risk vs. Reward. It's hard to get rewarded without taking risk.

My biggest worry, and Elway's biggest risk in hiring Kubiak, in my mind, was that the zone-blocking offense that was so successful in the 90's had been "figured out" and that the NFL had passed beyond the point where that type of offense could really be effective. This might still be true, we are still in the middle of taking on this risk.

However, I think there's a good possibility that the timing of this risk is impeccable. As the NFL moves more and more to a passing league, and as defenses structure themselves more and more to have coverage guys rather than anti-run heavy hitters, this type of offense can be an outlier that punishes most NFL defenses, and takes advantage of the weakness they expose by trying to stop aerial attacks.

We are zigging when the rest of the league is zagging. And we won a SuperBowl last season before we could even really take advantage of that fact with our offense.

If this risk pays off .. .. we will be positioned for some time to be very successful.

MOtorboat
07-29-2016, 12:20 PM
Probably my biggest worry about the Kubiak hiring, is also our biggest potential strength going forward.

My biggest worry, and Elway's biggest risk in hiring Kubiak, in my mind, was that the zone-blocking offense that was so successful in the 90's had been "figured out" and that the NFL had passed beyond the point where that type of offense could really be effective. This might still be true, we are still in the middle of taking on this risk.

However, I think there's a good possibility that the timing of this risk is impeccable. As the NFL moves more and more to a passing league, and as defenses structure themselves more and more to have coverage guys rather than anti-run heavy hitters, this type of offense can be an outlier that punishes most NFL defenses, and takes advantage of the weakness they expose by trying to stop aerial attacks.

We are zigging when the rest of the league is zagging. And we won a SuperBowl last season before we could even really take advantage of that fact with our offense.

If this risk pays off .. .. we will be positioned for some time to be very successful.

I think there's some merit to this, although as many of you know I'd rather be passing the ball in this day and age.

Shanahan and Kubiak's offense began to be countered by the 3-4 and the scheme struggled against big, 3-4 defenses like Pittsburgh and New England in the early to mid-2000s. Then everyone wanted to run a big 3-4 with zone blitzing. That was en vogue for a while and teams started to shift towards defending the pass in nickel bases. We'll see how it works.

Look at our linebackers. Fast guys and, to use one potential back up I'm very familiar with, take a look at Zaire Anderson. He played a hybrid safety/linebacker role in college and the Broncos seem to want to use him specifically as a linebacker if he makes the team.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-29-2016, 12:23 PM

I don't share that sentiment about Kubiak's offense. Flacco and Forsett both had the best years of their careers to date (Forsett averaged 5.0 ypc). The Ravens also had the most prolific offensive year in the history of their franchise.

TXBRONC
07-29-2016, 12:55 PM
I don't share that sentiment about Kubiak's offense. Flacco and Forsett both had the best years of their careers to date (Forsett averaged 5.0 ypc). The Ravens also had the most prolific offensive year in the history of their franchise.

When teams are putting five or more defensive backs on the field more than half the time running the ball is good thing to do.

Timmy!
07-29-2016, 01:10 PM
Edited:

Daniels, even though he didn't score any touchdowns was one of the reasons that Denver was able to keep the clock moving in the first half of the Super Bowl.

Ummm......No. He had 1 catch.....on the first play of the game.

NightTrainLayne
07-29-2016, 02:12 PM

You don't share what sentiment? I'm confused.

Valar Morghulis
07-29-2016, 02:20 PM
That the kubes offense has been figured out by the rest of the nfl

NightTrainLayne
07-29-2016, 02:26 PM
That the kubes offense has been figured out by the rest of the nfl

I see.

I said that "was my biggest worry", "was" meaning, "in the past". My current sentiment I thought I pretty clearly expressed as, "this run-oriented, play-action pass offense offense is positioned well to work against pass-first defenses. I hope".

That's why I was confused, because we seem to be in agreement that this offense can be successful in today's NFL.

Valar Morghulis
07-29-2016, 03:23 PM
I see.

I said that "was my biggest worry", "was" meaning, "in the past". My current sentiment I thought I pretty clearly expressed as, "this run-oriented, play-action pass offense offense is positioned well to work against pass-first defenses. I hope".

That's why I was confused, because we seem to be in agreement that this offense can be successful in today's NFL.

hey - i am just the translator - take it out on that idiot Al, he is the one who cant understand simple english

NightTrainLayne
07-29-2016, 03:25 PM
hey - i am just the translator - take it out on that idiot Al, he is the one who cant understand simple english

No, no, no. I am firmly in the "kill the messenger" camp, and prefer to torture translators first.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-29-2016, 06:34 PM
I see.

You're harder to follow than my wife.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-29-2016, 06:35 PM
The sword for all of you!!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-29-2016, 06:35 PM
Sorry, I've been binge watching the last kingdom.

MOtorboat
07-29-2016, 06:48 PM
No, no, no. I am firmly in the "kill the messenger" camp, and prefer to torture translators first.

Especially when they're trying to translate Scottish.

Simple Jaded
07-29-2016, 07:42 PM
The Seahawks run a ZBS.

NightTerror218
07-29-2016, 10:44 PM
Kubiaks offense has nevwr been figured out. No matter where he coached hus offense has worked.

Handy capped in houston with bad QBs but he produced RBs and still had a good offense.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-29-2016, 11:33 PM
Kubiaks offense has nevwr been figured out. No matter where he coached hus offense has worked.

Handy capped in houston with bad QBs but he produced RBs and still had a good offense.

You tell that jerk!

Simple Jaded
07-30-2016, 01:11 PM
Yeah!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-30-2016, 02:54 PM

I prefer to read the first two sentences of a post and jump to conclusions without reading the rest of the post. It makes my time more interesting.

Valar Morghulis
07-30-2016, 03:20 PM
I prefer to read the first two sentences of a post and jump to conclusions without reading the rest of the post. It makes my time more interesting.

A village somewhere is looking for you as they are currently deficient 1 X idiot

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-30-2016, 05:57 PM
A village somewhere is looking for you as they are currently deficient 1 X idiot

I only got through "A village somewhere "....this must be a delightful children's story.