PDA

View Full Version : Mason's Mailbag: Elway, Broncos still in good cap shape for future

Denver Native (Carol)
07-18-2016, 10:27 AM
With the re-signing of players like Von Miller and Brandon Marshall, how can we re-sign people like Emmanuel Sanders and Darian Stewart with our salary cap being so low?

-- Caleb Rabon

First, it's not low.

According to overthecap.com, the Broncos have $39.379 million in salary-cap space for 2017 with a projected cap of $166 million (and that includes the commitment if they pick up the option on left tackle Russell Okung). That gives them more cap space than 18 other teams are projected to have right now. So if they want both Sanders and Stewart, there is room.

It will be crucial for the Broncos to hit on as many draft picks and other young acquisitions as possible so they don't need to gobble up what is left of the cap space to fill holes that are not yet projected.

rest - other stuff also - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-masonsmailbag/Masons-Mailbag-Elway-Broncos-still-in-good-cap-shape-for-future-/3abc83a4-16d6-40dd-910c-14033302cc65

DenBronx
07-18-2016, 10:56 AM
Which is why we probably need to sign Sanders asap. I know he isn't happy with his contract situation and wants to be here long term. He should be our next priority. Then maybe Sly Williams and Stewart.

turftoad
07-18-2016, 11:02 AM
Stewart before Sly. Sly hasn't proven much IMO.

TXBRONC
07-18-2016, 11:06 AM

I thought he played pretty well last year.

CoachChaz
07-18-2016, 11:34 AM

I would agree, but assuming he pans out...I think the Justin Simmons draft pick might eliminate the need for a long term Stewart deal.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-18-2016, 05:08 PM
Sly ate a lot of double teams last year, probably more than Malik did. I think he played pretty well.

elsid13
07-18-2016, 05:12 PM
If the FO thought Sly was worth extending they would have picked up his 5th year option, they didn't.

Buff
07-18-2016, 05:12 PM

I think Sly has performed well - it's just that Stewart has performed better and Sly's skillset is more valuable in a 3-4.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-18-2016, 05:29 PM
If the FO thought Sly was worth extending they would have picked up his 5th year option, they didn't.

THe Broncos would have had to pay the average of the 3rd-25th highest paid players at DT if they wanted to use the 5th year option on Sly. He's a good NT, but I understand if the don't want to pay him that much.

sneakers
07-18-2016, 05:38 PM
What team did Clady go to?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-18-2016, 05:47 PM
What team did Clady go to?

The Jets

TXBRONC
07-18-2016, 06:28 PM

Not necessarily. From what I have heard his numbers for the 5th year is higher than they want it to be.

Simple Jaded
07-18-2016, 08:03 PM
I remember people being worried about who plays NT in the new 3-4 defense this time last year, Syl Wil answered.

Joel
07-18-2016, 08:29 PM
Sly ate a lot of double teams last year, probably more than Malik did. I think he played pretty well.

He did, but

and

Not necessarily. From what I have heard is his 5th number is higher than they want it to be.
Well, is it likely to go DOWN as a FA who can negotiate with all 32 teams? It's too bad, because

I remember people being worried about who plays NT in the new 3-4 defense this time last year, Syl Wil answered.
Yeah, and I freely admit being one of them, as well as deeply concerned whether the guy we drafted as 4-3 UT could be a 3-4 NT. You're right though, Sly answered the bell and played lights out every week. I'll miss him, because a 3-4 without a good NT rotation in the middle has a gaping hole where every RB in the league is.

Gimme Sanders, Webster and Stewart; I'd have to go back to my March and April posts to see who I else I like is in their final year. I remember it's a LOT of guys though; that PROJECTED $39M will be eaten up very fast (though I know a great way to save another $12M.... ;))

TXBRONC
07-18-2016, 08:35 PM
He did, but

and

Well, is it likely to go DOWN as a FA who can negotiate with all 32 teams? It's too bad, because

Yeah, and I freely admit being one of them, as well as deeply concerned whether the guy we drafted as 4-3 UT could be a 3-4 NT. You're right though, Sly answered the bell and played lights out every week. I'll miss him, because a 3-4 without a good NT rotation in the middle has a gaping hole where every RB in the league is.

Gimme Sanders, Webster and Stewart; I'd have to go back to my March and April posts to see who I else I like is in their final year. I remember it's a LOT of guys though; that PROJECTED $39M will be eaten up very fast (though I know a great way to save another $12M.... ;))

It depends on how Elway classifies him.

NightTerror218
07-18-2016, 11:19 PM
I like stewart but we have 2 new young draft picks. If syewart is exended its a yr oror two at most.

DenBronx
07-18-2016, 11:24 PM

Safety is way easier to find imo. Had we not lost Malik then I would agree with you but both? Doubt it.

broncofaninfla
07-19-2016, 07:27 AM
Simmons and Kilgo will likely determine Stewart and Wiiliams fate with their play this season. Elway has done a great job adding depth to this team.

TXBRONC
07-19-2016, 07:41 AM
Simmons and Kilgo will likely determine Stewart and Wiiliams fate with their play this season. Elway has done a great job adding depth to this team.

Kilgo played less and less as the season went on. When William got hurt against the Patriots Walker was moved to nose tackle rather than plugging in Kilgo.

Simple Jaded
07-19-2016, 06:47 PM
Kilgo played for Wade Phillips old DL coach in college, you'd think he's ready to contribute this year.

Cugel
07-19-2016, 07:05 PM
Do you think it will be detrimental to the Broncos to give Von Miller all he wants on his contract? If he has all the front end loaded guaranties and gets hurt again, won't it adversely impact the Broncos ability to sign other players?

-- Roger Mackey

No, because you don't have the significant cap figure devoted to the quarterback position that most teams have.

One ancillary benefit of being unable to re-sign Brock Osweiler and eventually draft Paxton Lynch was in the cash and cap savings. From a cash perspective, the Broncos could save $62.5 million over the next four years if both Osweiler and Lynch play out their contracts.

There are 17 quarterbacks in the league whose average annual outlay is at least $18 million. If Lynch or Trevor Siemian ends up seizing the long-term starting job, the Broncos won't have to worry about this sort of commitment for the next three years (and if Lynch becomes the long-term quarterback, their years with a cost-controlled quarterback will extend through 2020 because of the fifth-year option on first-round picks, if the Broncos exercise it).

Denver Post makes the same case I've been making for months now. Broncos lucked out when Osweiler refused the Broncos $16M a year offer ($30M guaranteed). IF Paxton Lynch works out, they are getting a bargain basement $ QB for 4 years and that will save them enough to re-sign any other veterans they want.

MOtorboat
07-20-2016, 03:19 AM
Denver Post makes the same case I've been making for months now. Broncos lucked out when Osweiler refused the Broncos $16M a year offer ($30M guaranteed). IF Paxton Lynch works out, they are getting a bargain basement $ QB for 4 years and that will save them enough to re-sign any other veterans they want.

Lol. What a lie.

You freaked the **** out when he wouldn't pay Osweiler.

Ravage!!!
07-20-2016, 11:30 AM
IF Paxton works out, then yeah..absolutely. It's how the Seahawks were able to build their team up so strong and sign their players. Their top QB was making peanuts in comparison to every other team in the playoffs with their top-tier QB. But finding that guy isn't that easy. A lot of luck is involved.

Simple Jaded
07-20-2016, 08:17 PM
Lol. What a lie.

You freaked the **** out when he wouldn't pay Osweiler.

Remember when we were all a bunch of idiots for thinking Osweiler might see some meaningful snaps last season?