PDA

View Full Version : Stranger Things (Netflix)

Northman
07-16-2016, 09:08 AM
Missy and i started watching this original series from Netflix. About 3-4 episodes in and its pretty damn good. The synopsis from Wiki:

Stranger Things is an American television drama series created by The Duffer Brothers whose first series debuted on Netflix (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netflix) in 2016.[1]
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranger_Things_(TV_series)#cite_note-1)The show is a 1980s drama series set in Indiana (originally to be set in Montauk, New York (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montauk,_New_York)), where a young boy vanishes into thin air.[2] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranger_Things_(TV_series)#cite_note-2)[3] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranger_Things_(TV_series)#cite_note-3) Eight one-hour episodes were made available on July 15, 2016.[4] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranger_Things_(TV_series)#cite_note-4) It was written and directed by Matt Duffer and Ross Duffer and executive produced by Shawn Levy (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Levy).[5] (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stranger_Things_(TV_series)#cite_note-5) It was previously titled Montauk.

Anyone else watching this?

http://netflixlife.com/files/2016/07/stranger-things-banner-600x300.jpg

Valar Morghulis
07-16-2016, 09:11 AM
Missy and i started watching this original series from Netflix. About 3-4 episodes in and its pretty damn good. The synopsis from Wiki: Anyone else watching this?

I thought it looked like it was aimed at tweens?

Northman
07-16-2016, 09:44 AM

I can see how some of it might but i think if you dig science fiction/horror than anyone of all ages can get into it. I have quite a few friends who are digging it as well.

MOtorboat
07-17-2016, 03:33 AM

I think it's just good sci-fi. Three episodes in and I'm pretty enthralled.

Valar Morghulis
07-17-2016, 03:40 AM
I am two episodes in now - not blown away by it yet, will keep watching though as the wife likes it and it is rare that we find a program we can both watch without one wanting to shout at the tv screen!

MOtorboat
07-17-2016, 03:45 AM
I am two episodes in now - not blown away by it yet, will keep watching though as the wife likes it and it is rare that we find a program we can both watch without one wanting to shout at the tv screen!

I love the 80s vibe. Feels like a lot of the good horror/sci-fi movies from back then. Maybe not the subject matter, necessarily, but just the production. Probably enhance my opinion of it.

Also, I think the characters are pretty complex and well thought-out.

Northman
07-17-2016, 11:08 AM
Just finished the series last night. I loved it and as MO pointed to i love the 80's nostalgia aspect of it. I felt through the whole thing that it had a sweet combination of feeling in the vibe of Stephen King, the X-Files, and John Carpenter (with the musical score). Personally i cant wait until season 2.

Valar Morghulis
07-17-2016, 11:16 AM
Watching episode three right now

Took me a while to realise that was winona ryder

MOtorboat
07-17-2016, 07:03 PM
Just finished it. Loved it. Had a very Super 8 vibe to it.

CoachChaz
07-18-2016, 09:41 AM
Keeps popping up on my "You Might Like This..." list. Might have to give it a shot.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-18-2016, 09:53 AM
Keeps popping up on my "You Might Like This..." list. Might have to give it a shot.

Me too...

BroncoNut
07-18-2016, 11:54 AM
I haven't seen that. I will have to check it out. I need a new series.

I really enjoyed Bloodline. can't wait for the 3rd season. anyone else?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-18-2016, 01:57 PM
I haven't seen that. I will have to check it out. I need a new series.

I really enjoyed Bloodline. can't wait for the 3rd season. anyone else?

I've watched 3 episodes so far. I'm not sure how much I like it. It's got some cool cinematography and the actors are all pretty good, but it's got too much of a soap opera feel to it.

Valar Morghulis
07-18-2016, 02:06 PM
I've watched 3 episodes so far. I'm not sure how much I like it. It's got some cool cinematography and the actors are all pretty good, but it's got too much of a soap opera feel to it.

The kids acting annoyed me at first, but I am watching episode five now and I am quite into it.

I love the cop.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-18-2016, 04:31 PM
The kids acting annoyed me at first, but I am watching episode five now and I am quite into it.

I love the cop.

Which kids?

Northman
07-18-2016, 06:02 PM
Which kids?

I think you guys are talking about two different shows. Gap hijacked the thread..... lol

MasterShake
07-19-2016, 08:54 AM
Gotta check this out. I keep hearing it has an Amblin-era Spielberg vibe with some Stephen King mixed in. Sounds right up my alley.

BroncoNut
07-19-2016, 09:26 AM

I love the cop.

it picks up and gets quite interestingly dark. the cop is awesome. the cop brother and the Spanish/Cuban cop who is his partner. I find the latter pretty attractive quite actually,,. but I digress. I thought it was a series wanna be fro the first few episodes, but after going further into it, I am of the opinion that it is legit

back on topic,

I started watching stranger things last night. I like the kid that has that weird disease and the way he talks because his teeth haven't grown in yet.

BroncoNut
07-19-2016, 09:28 AM
Watching episode three right now

Took me a while to realise that was winona ryder

Winona hit the wall hard. what a dog

olathebroncofan
07-19-2016, 08:06 PM
Forget Stranger Things...im binge watching Bob Ross.

MOtorboat
07-28-2016, 02:52 PM
Dammit Von! It's been a week. It was only the third thread down in this subsection!

weazel
07-28-2016, 02:56 PM
I watched the first episode and half the second... got called out and couldnt finish. it seems interesting but not something that hooks me in.

BroncoNut
07-28-2016, 03:22 PM
I watched the first episode and half the second... got called out and couldnt finish. it seems interesting but not something that hooks me in.

same with me so far.

Valar Morghulis
07-28-2016, 03:26 PM
I finished the season.

It was like the goonies meet the x files to make an alright show

Magnificent Seven
07-28-2016, 05:12 PM
I saw all 8 episodes. Not bad.

Magnificent Seven
07-28-2016, 05:14 PM
Check this out! Quite Interesting!

https://vimeo.com/175929311

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-28-2016, 09:13 PM
I finished the season.

It was like the goonies meet the x files to make an alright show

Dave, que pasa weda?!

Valar Morghulis
07-28-2016, 11:38 PM
Dave, que pasa weda?!

I just started learning Spanish, but am very basic still. But I think you just called me a mutha****a and I think that is harsh amigo

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-29-2016, 08:59 AM
I just started learning Spanish, but am very basic still. But I think you just called me a mutha****a and I think that is harsh amigo

:laugh:

No, I basically said, "what's up white girl?"

Slick
07-29-2016, 09:24 AM

No, I basically said, "what's up white girl?"

Weda?

I think you meant guera.

weazel
07-29-2016, 09:35 AM
episode 3 was alot better. It's a pretty good show

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-29-2016, 10:25 AM
Weda?

I think you meant guera.

Is that how you spell it? I just know entry level Spanish from tapes and such. My reading and writing isn't very good.

Northman
07-29-2016, 10:34 AM
episode 3 was alot better. It's a pretty good show

It starts out a little slow but certainly picks up.

Slick
07-29-2016, 01:35 PM
Is that how you spell it? I just know entry level Spanish from tapes and such. My reading and writing isn't very good.

I think technically it's supposed to have the 2 dots over the u but yes, that's how you spell guera. I know the word well because I get called guero a lot.

Valar Morghulis
07-29-2016, 02:22 PM
I think technically it's supposed to have the 2 dots over the u but yes, that's how you spell guera. I know the word well because I get called guero a lot.

Guero also means mutha****a, no?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-29-2016, 02:44 PM
Lol, no....

weazel
07-29-2016, 03:22 PM
**** Dave, stick to broken English

Valar Morghulis
07-29-2016, 03:29 PM
**** Dave, stick to broken English

no problemo hombre

Slick
07-29-2016, 03:54 PM

This time Mr Mayor is correct. No it doesn't. I don't think there is an exact translation for mother effer. Slang to slang doesn't translate well.

Valar Morghulis
07-29-2016, 04:04 PM
This time Mr Mayor is correct. No it doesn't. I don't think there is an exact translation for mother effer. Slang to slang doesn't translate well.

so is a guero also a little white girl?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-29-2016, 04:10 PM
so is a guero also a little white girl?

O ending is masculine, a ending is feminine. Guero is "white male", guera is white girl.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-29-2016, 04:11 PM

Why did you have to qualify it as "this time"?

Slick
07-29-2016, 04:24 PM
Why did you have to qualify it as "this time"?

Because you're wrong a lot Mr Mayor.

Valar Morghulis
07-29-2016, 04:25 PM

Yeah, he is also a puto

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-29-2016, 05:02 PM

I've only been wrong 6 or 7 times today. That's really pretty good. It's like batting. .936

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-29-2016, 05:03 PM
Yeah, he is also a puto

That's better than being a puta, Dave.

Valar Morghulis
07-29-2016, 05:05 PM
That's better than being a puta, Dave.

Whatever amigo

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-29-2016, 05:10 PM
Whatever amigo

Haha, beer at my house in 4 hours Dave!

Valar Morghulis
07-29-2016, 05:12 PM
Haha, beer at my house in 4 hours Dave!

You're eight hours away. I'll be there in two.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-29-2016, 05:14 PM
You're eight hours away. I'll be there in two.

The beer and hot wings will be ready my friend.

MasterShake
08-01-2016, 03:35 PM
Just finished this over the weekend, great show. I knew it was good when I didn't want to binge it all right away. I would watch 1-2 episodes a day to let them sink in. I love it because it really captured that great 80's horror vibe of Stephen King and others. It wasn't a scary movie, but it made you feel dread all the way through. I love how it ended and am looking forward to season 2.

Poet
08-01-2016, 04:04 PM

I don't believe that is how I would describe it. It's more aimed at people who grew up in the 80's, or at least lived in that decade. There's so much nostalgia. I think someone who was a teenager during the Twilight (Vampires used to be cool, dammit) debacle might be able to appreciate it, and the content isn't going to be too confusing (if at all) to a twelve year old who pays attention.

Poet
08-01-2016, 04:06 PM
I hate all of you. God damn the last two pages of this thread was shit. ******* shit. SHIT SHIT SHIT!

Valar Morghulis
08-01-2016, 04:09 PM
Stranger things is a marginally above average series, with terrible child acting, a semi decent story line and some good retro production

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-01-2016, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=Von Kinger;2513941]I hate all of you. God damn the last two pages of this thread was shit. ******* caette jueda!

BroncoWave
08-01-2016, 05:19 PM
So it's like x-files? If so I might have to check it out.

MOtorboat
08-01-2016, 05:25 PM
So it's like x-files? If so I might have to check it out.

A little. I predict that you like it.

MOtorboat
08-01-2016, 05:26 PM
I hate all of you. God damn the last two pages of this thread was shit. ******* shit. SHIT SHIT SHIT!

In fairness, we waited three weeks for this:

I don't believe that is how I would describe it. It's more aimed at people who grew up in the 80's, or at least lived in that decade. There's so much nostalgia. I think someone who was a teenager during the Twilight (Vampires used to be cool, dammit) debacle might be able to appreciate it, and the content isn't going to be too confusing (if at all) to a twelve year old who pays attention.

And all I got was a ******* Twilight reference.

BroncoWave
08-01-2016, 05:28 PM
A little. I predict that you like it.

I'll start it when I get home this evening. I'm coincidentally looking for a new show to start.

MOtorboat
08-01-2016, 05:34 PM
I'll start it when I get home this evening. I'm coincidentally looking for a new show to start.

Started Mr. Robot on Saturday. I like it.

BroncoWave
08-01-2016, 06:31 PM
Started Mr. Robot on Saturday. I like it.

I watch suits and I always see where Mr robot follows it, but I haven't seen it yet.

Poet
08-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Stranger things is a marginally above average series, with terrible child acting, a semi decent story line and some good retro production

I am trying not to hate you right now.

I failed.

Poet
08-01-2016, 07:50 PM
Mr. Robot is strange.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-01-2016, 08:53 PM
Mr. Robot is strange.

Screwed up and deranged is more what I was thinking. :laugh:

BroncoWave
08-01-2016, 10:00 PM
I'm through 2 episodes now. It's pretty damn good so far. The suspense is really amping up. You were right Mo, I do like this.

MOtorboat
08-01-2016, 11:24 PM
I'm through 2 episodes now. It's pretty damn good so far. The suspense is really amping up. You were right Mo, I do like this.

When you mentioned X-Files I remembered you really enjoyed that and I think anyone who was into X-Files will love this, because IMO it's better.

BroncoWave
08-01-2016, 11:41 PM
When you mentioned X-Files I remembered you really enjoyed that and I think anyone who was into X-Files will love this, because IMO it's better.

For what it's worth, I REALLY like X-Files, so I don't see any way 8 episodes of anything is enough for me to push it past X-Files, but having said this, this show does seem like it could be great. I'm going to try to spread watching out over a few days because I feel like I forget more details when I binge something. And with it only being 8 episodes, I don't really want to knock that out in a night or two.

MasterShake
08-02-2016, 08:28 AM
For what it's worth, I REALLY like X-Files, so I don't see any way 8 episodes of anything is enough for me to push it past X-Files, but having said this, this show does seem like it could be great. I'm going to try to spread watching out over a few days because I feel like I forget more details when I binge something. And with it only being 8 episodes, I don't really want to knock that out in a night or two.

Yeah I did the same thing. It really does well in small doses. I think I finished it over the course of 4-5 days and it was perfect.

MasterShake
08-02-2016, 08:30 AM

I think its a different animal than the X-Files. There are some scenes that are very reminiscent of the X-Files at its best, but overall its more of a genre homage to 80's sci fi fantasy and horror.

Poet
08-02-2016, 09:49 AM
I'm still mad at Dave.

Valar Morghulis
08-02-2016, 10:03 AM
I'm still mad at Dave.

You don't like truth bombs?

Poet
08-02-2016, 10:03 AM
You don't like truth bombs?

Only when they have truth!

Valar Morghulis
08-02-2016, 10:11 AM
Only when they have truth!

Your penchant for mediocrity surprises me

Poet
08-02-2016, 10:12 AM
Your penchant for mediocrity surprises me

Well, I am friends with you....

Valar Morghulis
08-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Well, I am friends with you....

Exactly.

weazel
08-02-2016, 10:19 AM
finished it last night, it got better as it went on. The cop was the best character by far.

Valar Morghulis
08-02-2016, 10:42 AM
finished it last night, it got better as it went on. The cop was the best character by far.

Agreed. The child acting was terrible

Poet
08-02-2016, 02:39 PM
Exactly.

I liked the child acting a lot and felt the kids nailed their roles.

You are mostly exceptional.

MasterShake
08-02-2016, 03:50 PM
One more thing I need to bring up about this show is that they absolutely NAILED the look and feel of the early to mid 80's. I remember those days pretty vividly even though I was younger. Many shows and movies set in that time period filter out how it really looked and just focus on the exaggerations like the big hair, neon lights, etc. Not everyone had a Rubix cube on their desk with Max Headrome playing on their TV in the background.

The wood paneling, the leftover shag carpeting from the 70's, the dim yellow 60 watt bulbs that barely lit up a room... that is exactly how I remember the 80's growing up in a working class neighborhood. And just seeing the kids ride around with bikes pretty much all day sums up that time period for me. Our only rule was to be back by the time the street lights came on. I never could've afforded those walkie talkies they used though, and there is no way in hell batteries ever lasted that long back then. You haven't lived until you hear your favorite song on your Walkman start playing at half speed until you can get some more batteries from Radio Shack.

Valar Morghulis
08-02-2016, 03:53 PM
One more thing I need to bring up about this show is that they absolutely NAILED the look and feel of the early to mid 80's. I remember those days pretty vividly even though I was younger. Many shows and movies set in that time period filter out how it really looked and just focus on the exaggerations like the big hair, neon lights, etc. Not everyone had a Rubix cube on their desk with Max Headrome playing on their TV in the background. The wood paneling, the leftover shag carpeting from the 70's, the dim yellow 60 watt bulbs that barely lit up a room... that is exactly how I remember the 80's growing up in a working class neighborhood. And just seeing the kids ride around with bikes pretty much all day sums up that time period for me. Our only rule was to be back by the time the street lights came on. I never could've afforded those walkie talkies they used though, and there is no way in hell batteries ever lasted that long back then. You haven't lived until you hear your favorite song on your Walkman start playing at half speed until you can get some more batteries from Radio Shack.

I noticed one obvious anachronism but I can't remember what it was, but other than that, yeah, I agree. Could have been filmed alongside the wonder years for authenticity

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-02-2016, 03:57 PM
Dave-

I've really enjoyed your takes so far. Would you please elaborate a little more on the good and bad of this show?

Valar Morghulis
08-02-2016, 03:59 PM
Dave- I've really enjoyed your takes so far. Would you please elaborate a little more on the good and bad of this show?

Maybe tomorrow. Just for king.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-02-2016, 04:23 PM
Maybe tomorrow. Just for king.

Please consider it. It's for the children.

BroncoWave
08-04-2016, 10:09 PM
Just finished it. Damn that is a good show. Winona Ryder deserves an Emmy for her performance in it. And as others have said, the cop is an awesome character. Can't wait until the next season.

Valar Morghulis
08-05-2016, 12:01 AM
Just finished it. Damn that is a good show. Winona Ryder deserves an Emmy for her performance in it. And as others have said, the cop is an awesome character. Can't wait until the next season.

Those kids were terrible actors though eh???

BroncoWave
08-05-2016, 12:02 AM
Those kids were terrible actors though eh???

Eh, no better or worse than any other kid actors. It certainly didn't detract from the show at all for me.

Valar Morghulis
08-05-2016, 12:05 AM
Eh, no better or worse than any other kid actors. It certainly didn't detract from the show at all for me.

Don't be like that wave

MOtorboat
08-05-2016, 12:23 AM
Don't be like that wave

I don't know what you're talking about Dave.

Valar Morghulis
08-05-2016, 12:56 AM
I don't know what you're talking about Dave.

I did think the child actors were dreadful, but I raise no one else did.

My continual slamming of their ineptitude is really only for kings benefit because he is so far the other way.

I was hopeful I could create a covert mission where other people would realise this and contribute to kings impending aneurysm

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
08-05-2016, 08:07 AM

My continual slamming of their ineptitude is really only for kings benefit because he is so far the other way.

I was hopeful I could create a covert mission where other people would realise this and contribute to kings impending aneurysm

Fear not Dave, I will watch one episode if for no other reason than to critique the child acting.

atwater27
08-05-2016, 08:52 AM
Just started watching. Episode 3. Great show, dripping with 80's-ness, with an E.T. / close encounters of 3rd kind vibe. Right down my alley.

dogfish
11-22-2017, 11:57 PM

those children are better at acting than you are at life!

MOtorboat
11-23-2017, 10:21 AM
those children are better at acting than you are at life!

Boom. Happy America is Great Day, Euro!

weazel
11-23-2017, 10:37 AM
we should all take shots at Dave while he has no computer to defend himself!

go to hell Dave, you pinko

DenBronx
03-20-2019, 11:32 AM
YEG3bmU_WaI

Season 3 Trailer

Northman
03-20-2019, 11:47 AM
Oh **** yea!

MOtorboat
03-20-2019, 05:57 PM
Man, re-reading this thread. What a poor performance Dave gave here. Goodness.

Valar Morghulis
03-20-2019, 11:21 PM

Oh god, these terrible child actors are back again. Can't wait for the ham acting in the next session of the goonies meets alien.

dogfish
03-20-2019, 11:46 PM

he really case keenumed it. . .

MOtorboat
03-20-2019, 11:57 PM
he really case keenumed it. . .

Yeah ... except we can't get him to stop...

Hawgdriver
03-21-2019, 12:11 AM
Yeah ... except we can't get him to stop...

The trailer looks like a 10/10 for nostalgia but not sure if there is going to be any weirdness...

MOtorboat
03-21-2019, 12:12 AM
The trailer looks like a 10/10 for nostalgia but not sure if there is going to be any weirdness...

I guess, I'm not sure what you mean. The Upside Down is inherently weird and it doesn't appear to be going away.

Hawgdriver
03-21-2019, 12:13 AM
I guess, I'm not sure what you mean. The Upside Down is inherently weird and it doesn't appear to be going away.

The conceptual novelty of the original was my main draw. Once you see a picasso, the second one isn't that impressive.

MOtorboat
03-21-2019, 12:14 AM
The conceptual novelty of the original was my main draw. Once you see a picasso, the second one isn't that impressive.

This also seems inherent to consecutive seasons of almost any show?

Hawgdriver
03-21-2019, 12:18 AM
This also seems inherent to consecutive seasons of almost any show?

Undoubtedly among concept shows. Probably why Lost couldn't hold the thread. Those are the only shows I really care to watch though. Even shows like True Detective I consider in that constellation.

Northman
11-06-2021, 12:07 PM
Yes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ZQMpp4BdU&ab_channel=StrangerThings

Northman
04-12-2022, 05:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzyaPOEvGxg

King87
04-13-2022, 08:16 AM
Finish strong and cement yourself as one of the great shows of the era.

dogfish
04-13-2022, 10:44 AM
Won't be watching any trailers, but damn am I hype!

underrated29
04-13-2022, 11:47 AM
There is a show called "From" it has a stranger things type feel to it. I like it. Very excited for season for of Stranger Things! No trailers for me either. I want it all fresh and so clean clean