PDA

View Full Version : 20 days, 20 Broncos camp questions -- 4. Will Demaryius Thomas have a bounce-back season?

Denver Native (Carol)
07-12-2016, 10:20 AM
But first, let's note that the season from which Thomas is trying to "bounce back" is the kind of campaign that would be a dream season for the vast majority of wide receivers: 101 catches for 1,304 yards and six touchdowns.

Way back in 1961, a 100-catch season gave Lionel Taylor the single-season pro football record. In 2015, triple-digit catches were not enough to prevent chatter about whether Thomas was worth the contract that he signed that offseason.

The reception tally didn't tell the story, of course. For Thomas, the dropped passes did -- 12 over the course of the season, per the numbers compiled by ProFootballFocus.com.

Thomas admits that his focus wasn't where it needed to be last year, with so much going on away from the field, starting with the release of his mother from prison after she had her federal-prison sentence commuted by President Obama.

"It's just keeping a clear mind and going out and working hard to get prepared for this year to have a better year than I had last year," Thomas said. "It wasn't the best of years -- and the drops were one of the biggest reasons. But it happens.

"I'll come out this year and for sure have a better year."

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/20-days-20-Broncos-camp-questions----4-Will-Demaryius-Thomas-have-a-bounce-back-season/7683ce27-1bd9-4350-bb78-43a19a21b89d

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-12-2016, 10:26 AM
DT had a drop issue last year, but for him to have a better year we need much better qb play and blocking this year.

Simple Jaded
07-13-2016, 12:19 AM
I don't care if he drops 12 passes, just don't drop any against the Cheats and such.

Davii
07-13-2016, 06:33 AM
12. 12 dropped passes according to PFF. 12. Over 16 games. I thought it had to be like 100 or something with as much as we hear about it.

The Glue Factory
07-13-2016, 09:17 AM
It seems that the majority of those drops occurred in the last 6 games of the year (including post season.)

Valar Morghulis
07-13-2016, 10:32 AM
Vernon Davis only dropped one that I can remember, but it was at a crucial time in a game we lost, had we not went on and won the super bowl I would have voodoo dolled his ass for ever.

I think big players need to make big plays at big times. When the big time arrives but the big play fails to follow the top tier talent is rightfully criticized

Ravage!!!
07-13-2016, 11:23 AM
Vernon Davis was the biggest waste of a signing that I think we've ever made. I can't help but chuckle when remembering how hyped this board was on that. Hell, Joel had been using Vernon Davis as yet another reason to complain about Elway, and then finally got his wish. Now it's the actual signing of Davis that deserves the criticism. Man he was bad bad.... BAD.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-13-2016, 11:25 AM
Vernon Davis only dropped one that I can remember, but it was at a crucial time in a game we lost, had we not went on and won the super bowl I would have voodoo dolled his ass for ever.

I think big players need to make big plays at big times. When the big time arrives but the big play fails to follow the top tier talent is rightfully criticized

How many times was he targeted?

Valar Morghulis
07-13-2016, 11:31 AM
Vernon Davis was the biggest waste of a signing that I think we've ever made. I can't help but chuckle when remembering how hyped this board was on that. Hell, Joel had been using Vernon Davis as yet another reason to complain about Elway, and then finally got his wish. Now it's the actual signing of Davis that deserves the criticism. Man he was bad bad.... BAD.

Agreed. My point was it was a crucial drop.

He could have been targeted a million times and if that was the only one he dropped he would still be a donkey.

This is in response to Al as well.

slim
07-13-2016, 11:33 AM

Technically it was a trade, not a signing, but yeah....I was scratching my head over all the hype from our fellow BFers.

silkamilkamonico
07-13-2016, 05:19 PM
Drops weren't an issue for Thomas. Catching the ball past 8 yards down from the LOS was.

MOtorboat
07-13-2016, 06:18 PM
Drops weren't an issue for Thomas. Catching the ball past 8 yards down from the LOS was.

He was so bad he slipped all the way to 10th in the league in first downs picked up receiving.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/player-receiving-first-downs-and-first-down-percentage/2015/

Davii
07-13-2016, 06:30 PM

The better question: did he catch one? I don't recall a single significant play from VD.

Davii
07-13-2016, 06:31 PM
Technically it was a trade, not a signing, but yeah....I was scratching my head over all the hype from our fellow BFers.

The hype was fine, his performance and follow through on said hype? Not so much.

Cugel
07-16-2016, 12:56 PM
DT had a drop issue last year, but for him to have a better year we need much better qb play and blocking this year.

Well, both are guaranteed are they not? Osweiler and Manning combined for 19 TDs and 23 INTs. Sanchez and Lynch could hardly do worse.

And the entire OL has been replaced with Matt Paradis being the only returning starter. For a team that won the SB that's not a vote of confidence in your OL. They dumped Vasquez, Clady and Evan Mathis, and the only reason Schofield is still on the roster is that he's earning $600k. He still might not make the team this summer and he certainly isn't starting barring injury.

They are going to run the ball a lot more so the key for D.T. is to get rid of the drops. He's not going to be targeted nearly as often as he was with Peyton, so he needs to make each opportunity count.

Simple Jaded
07-16-2016, 03:35 PM
Oh man! Now that I've had time to think about it I'd still take Vernon Davis.

With Davis and Schoefield out there what's not to like?

dogfish
07-16-2016, 04:13 PM
12. 12 dropped passes according to PFF. 12. Over 16 games. I thought it had to be like 100 or something with as much as we hear about it.

i could have sworn he dropped that many just in the first new england game. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
07-16-2016, 07:03 PM
He was so bad he slipped all the way to 10th in the league in first downs picked up receiving.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/player-receiving-first-downs-and-first-down-percentage/2015/

10th out of 1,000

Cugel
07-17-2016, 03:03 AM
Well, there was a time when signing Vernon Davis would have been a huge deal. That's what fans were reacting to. Back when he could still play. Those days are gone, and like the days when I still had all my hair they're not coming back.

Simple Jaded
07-17-2016, 10:59 AM
Davis can still play, he's just too scared.

Nomad
07-17-2016, 08:02 PM

If it hits their hands, aren't they supposed to catch it? I agree about the QB play and blocking, but DT dropped some key passes, in which, many other receivers could catch.