PDA

View Full Version : Five best Broncos comebacks: Broncos 21, Colts 19, 1983

Denver Native (Carol)
06-23-2016, 11:41 AM
This was the first chapter in the legend of John Elway.

Until the fourth quarter of this Week 15 game, Elway's rookie season had been scattershot. The Broncos were 3-5 in his first eight starts, and his rating was just 56.2, with more than two times as many interceptions (10) as touchdown passes (four). Although he had enjoyed his best game to date a week earlier against the Browns, he was struggling, and the Colts were dominating, up 19-0.

Finally, early in the fourth quarter, Elway and the Broncos began to click. A 21-yard touchdown pass to Clint Sampson started the furious rally 4:08 into the fourth quarter; a 26-yard catch-and-run by Gerald Willhite with just 44 seconds remaining ended it.

Willhite took off on his route from the left side and ignored the safety bearing down hard on Elway, who threw just before he was clobbered.

rest - plus video and photos - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Five-best-Broncos-comebacks-Broncos-21-Colts-19-1983/b046a0ce-2585-48bc-b4e0-b4e296457695

MOtorboat
06-23-2016, 12:13 PM
5, Broncos 30, Patriots 24 (OT), 2015
4, Broncos 18, Dolphins 15 (OT), 2011
3, Broncos 21, Colts 19, 1983

I assume he's coming out with No. 2 today and No. 1 tomorrow, and for me those should be the Houston comeback (wasn't it three touchdowns in final five minutes, or something like that) and the No. 1 is easy, The Drive.

Northman
06-23-2016, 12:18 PM
I dont know, the Kansas City game where Denver was down 19-3 or something like that was pretty amazing as well.

MOtorboat
06-23-2016, 12:26 PM
I dont know, the Kansas City game where Denver was down 19-3 or something like that was pretty amazing as well.

Oct. 4, 1992 down 19-6 in the fourth quarter? Touchdowns to Jackson and Johnson.

I understand why all five aren't Elway, but they easily could be.

Add: This might be the game I'm thinking of, just had wrong opponent.

Northman
06-23-2016, 12:35 PM
Oct. 4, 1992 down 19-6 in the fourth quarter? Touchdowns to Jackson and Johnson.

I understand why all five aren't Elway, but they easily could be.

Add: This might be the game I'm thinking of, just had wrong opponent.

Thats the one. Crazy game.

Ravage!!!
06-23-2016, 05:19 PM

FRAK that was awesome.. fumble at the end to seal the deal! I still remember LEAPING like we just won the friggin Super Bowl!

broncofaninfla
06-24-2016, 12:29 PM
I don't remember the year but Denver had a crazy comeback win against Warren Moon and the Oilers.

Valar Morghulis
06-24-2016, 12:50 PM
San Diego, in San Diego - Peyton wss playing in his fourth or fifth game for us.

That was glorious.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-24-2016, 01:21 PM
San Diego, in San Diego - Peyton wss playing in his fourth or fifth game for us.

That was glorious.

Ah yes, how glorious it was to see Charger fans go from gloating to broken hearted I'm less than 2 hours.

Joel
06-24-2016, 05:07 PM

That was glorious.
I believe it's still the only game in nearly a century of NFL games where a team trailing by 24 won by double digits. There's been about a dozen 24 pt comebacks, but the rest were all squeakers: We won by two scores.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
06-24-2016, 07:09 PM
Ah yes, how glorious it was to see Charger fans go from gloating to broken hearted I'm less than 2 hours.

Stupid auto correct

Denver Native (Carol)
06-24-2016, 07:26 PM
Five best Broncos comebacks: Broncos 37, Seahawks 34, 1979

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Five-best-Broncos-comebacks-Broncos-37-Seahawks-34-1979/4afe81f9-c26b-419c-acf1-306bd51a5379

Five best Broncos comebacks: Broncos 35, Chargers 24, 2012

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Five-best-Broncos-comebacks-Broncos-35-Chargers-24-2012/2c1a37d4-774f-4a05-8bea-363410f68075

MOtorboat
06-24-2016, 08:09 PM
So. No Drive?

Huh.

tomjonesrocks
06-24-2016, 08:48 PM
I don't remember the year but Denver had a crazy comeback win against Warren Moon and the Oilers.

I've read Elway say that one was up there with the Drive for him.

Davii
06-24-2016, 08:58 PM
So. No Drive?

Huh.

You can't leave the Drive out.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-24-2016, 09:21 PM
Here are two more, which makes 5 total

Five best Broncos comebacks: Broncos 18, Dolphins 15 (OT), 2011

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Five-best-Broncos-comebacks-Broncos-18-Dolphins-15-OT-2011/0f0eed2a-d253-430d-8d74-4cb5cf7137fe

Five best Broncos comebacks: Broncos 30, Patriots 24 (OT), 2015

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Five-best-Broncos-comebacks-Broncos-30-Patriots-24-OT-2015/87822fbf-2601-4484-a43c-c82e10c34948

MOtorboat
06-24-2016, 09:29 PM
So, a Tebow cluster**** is better than The Drive?

Um, no.

sneakers
06-25-2016, 05:46 AM

yup, I remember this one very well

Joel
06-25-2016, 09:26 AM
So, a Tebow cluster**** is better than The Drive?

Um, no.
Maybe he's only thinking regular season; the Drive won the AFC, but none of these were even playoff games (though beating NE* and the Seahawks ultimately had the effect of one.) This years divisional playoff comeback vs Pitt was arguably bigger than the season comeback vs NE*: A smaller deficit, but the win kept our Championship season alive and was a big confidence boost against a team whose huge comeback a just weeks earlier nearly denied us the division title.

Maybe deficits are THE criterion: The Drive was never more than a one-score game, but in the others Denver overcame leads of 24 (twice,) 19, 15 and 14 pts to win.

Or maybe Mason was just trying to avoid accusations of favoritism for any Denver QB: Despite having Elway and Manning playing a combined 20 years in Denver, each played in only ONE of the games featured: The same number as Morton, Osweiler and Tebow. That list's in alphabetical order, btw. :tongue:

MOtorboat
06-25-2016, 10:35 AM
Maybe he's only thinking regular season; the Drive won the AFC, but none of these were even playoff games (though beating NE* and the Seahawks ultimately had the effect of one.) This years divisional playoff comeback vs Pitt was arguably bigger than the season comeback vs NE*: A smaller deficit, but the win kept our Championship season alive and was a big confidence boost against a team whose huge comeback a just weeks earlier nearly denied us the division title.

Maybe deficits are THE criterion: The Drive was never more than a one-score game, but in the others Denver overcame leads of 24 (twice,) 19, 15 and 14 pts to win.

Or maybe Mason was just trying to avoid accusations of favoritism for any Denver QB: Despite having Elway and Manning playing a combined 20 years in Denver, each played in only ONE of the games featured: The same number as Morton, Osweiler and Tebow. That list's in alphabetical order, btw. :tongue:

He made none of those distinctions. It was pure clickbait. He actually uses the phrase: "In terms of historical importance" on the article about this year's New England win. Well, hmmm, which comeback in Broncos history was the most historically significant?

And I'm well aware The Drive won the AFC, but as always, thanks for the useless 500 words.

Joel
06-25-2016, 11:25 AM
He made none of those distinctions. It was pure clickbait. He actually uses the phrase: "In terms of historical importance" on the article about this year's New England win. Well, hmmm, which comeback in Broncos history was the most historically significant?

And I'm well aware The Drive won the AFC, but as always, thanks for the useless 500 words.
I'm well aware you're aware, but the point was that wasn't our ONLY critical playoff comeback, but NONE of the others made the list either: It's regular season-only. Maybe that was by accident, but unstated intent is just as likely.

As to whether The Drive's more historically significant than this years regular season comeback against NE*, that's debatable. The Drive's certainly bigger in Broncos lore and for making the Broncos (and Elway) household names nationally, but is an AFC Championship more historically significant than a Super Bowl Championship?

MOtorboat
06-25-2016, 11:41 AM
I'm well aware you're aware, but the point was that wasn't our ONLY critical playoff comeback, but NONE of the others made the list either: It's regular season-only. Maybe that was by accident, but unstated intent is just as likely.

As to whether The Drive's more historically significant than this years regular season comeback against NE*, that's debatable. The Drive's certainly bigger in Broncos lore and for making the Broncos (and Elway) household names nationally, but is an AFC Championship more historically significant than a Super Bowl Championship?

There are not five more important comebacks in Denver history than The Drive. It's really not a debatable point, either. Obviously, the local blowhard wants to argue that one is, but that even, is extremely iffy.

Of course. Weren't you an Oilers fan in the 80s?

Denver Native (Carol)
06-25-2016, 12:38 PM
John Elway has plenty of great moments throughout his career. Winning back-to-back Super Bowls before riding into the sunset is likely on top of the list.

For Broncos fans, it doesn't get any better than The Drive. 98.5 yards, on the road, to tie the Cleveland Browns in the AFC Championship game - it doesn't get any better.

To me, however, there was another Drive. This one came 6 years after Elway's original heroics and when he was cemented as an elite quarterback in the NFL. On January 4, 1992, the Broncos hosted the Houston Oilers in the Divisional Round of the AFC Playoffs. Denver was the #2 seed, behind the Buffalo Bills.

Trailing the Oilers 24-23 with just over 2 minutes remaining, the Broncos once again started a drive deep in their own territory. Perhaps my favorite part of this particular drive was the fact it was at home at Mile High Stadium.

Younger fans have certainly heard stories on just how loud the old stadium was. I think the video below gives you just a taste of that and watching it still gives me the chills - 21 years later today!

http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/1/4/3835772/denver-broncos-playoff-history-21-years-ago-john-elway-produced

Ravage!!!
06-25-2016, 03:12 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2013/1/4/3835772/denver-broncos-playoff-history-21-years-ago-john-elway-produced

DAMN.. watching those reminds me just how much I LOVED watching those ROCKETS leave Elway's hand. I mean, damn he had such an incredible arm. Still brings huge smiles to my face watching him play.

The Glue Factory
06-25-2016, 03:25 PM
DAMN.. watching those reminds me just how much I LOVED watching those ROCKETS leave Elway's hand. I mean, damn he had such an incredible arm. Still brings huge smiles to my face watching him play.

I recall seeing a picture of Mark Jackson's hand in which not a single digit was straight from being dislocated so many times catching those ROCKETS!

Joel
06-26-2016, 04:21 AM
There are not five more important comebacks in Denver history than The Drive. It's really not a debatable point, either. Obviously, the local blowhard wants to argue that one is, but that even, is extremely iffy.

Of course. Weren't you an Oilers fan in the 80s?
That I was, so I just scrolled right past Carols link once I saw the title: I remember that one too well (for some reason I had to listen to it on the radio instead of watching on TV.) Classic Elway (the *******! ;)) You people just don't understand; remember how KC hadn't one a playoff game in 20 years until they beat Houston last year? Guess who they beat (with freaking MONTANA.) Hint: It's also the last team the Bengals beat in the playoffs.

Speaking of the Bengals, I hope Von Kinger's paying attention: This is your future, man.... ;)

MOtorboat
06-26-2016, 09:14 AM
That I was, so I just scrolled right past Carols link once I saw the title: I remember that one too well (for some reason I had to listen to it on the radio instead of watching on TV.) Classic Elway (the *******! ;)) You people just don't understand; remember how KC hadn't one a playoff game in 20 years until they beat Houston last year? Guess who they beat (with freaking MONTANA.) Hint: It's also the last team the Bengals beat in the playoffs.

Speaking of the Bengals, I hope Von Kinger's paying attention: This is your future, man.... ;)

What?

Joel
06-26-2016, 08:51 PM
What?
Sound out the words. :) I'm not responsible for anyone elses willful ignorance, and election years rapidly exhaust my patience with being accountable for it.

Simple Jaded
06-30-2016, 10:47 PM
This dude apparently doesn't remember that Dolphins/Broncos game well at all, it was basically the single worst 2 minutes in Denver Broncos history.

This team is the Phoenix that rose from the ashes.

Btw, Joel made a grammatical error. Haha!

The Glue Factory
07-01-2016, 09:03 AM
This dude apparently doesn't remember that Dolphins/Broncos game well at all, it was basically the single worst 2 minutes in Denver Broncos history.

This team is the Phoenix that rose from the ashes.

Btw, Joel made a grammatical error. Haha!

The worst 70 seconds goes to the Bills/Broncos when the Bills rifled off 20 points to take the lead in the third quarter. Denver had the game well in hand until that point. All we needed was one lousy TD but couldn't even manage a FG the rest of the game. Stoopid, stoopid, stoopid!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
07-05-2016, 09:24 AM

20 yard outs off his back foot...dude was amazing.

Simple Jaded
07-05-2016, 10:39 PM
Favorite Elway play ever was the one to Sharpe against the Seahawks where Elway ducked under a certain sack, stood up and ripped the ball about 50-60 yards to hit Sharpe in stride.

The beginning of the play represents the beginning of Elway's career where he was surrounded by scrubs that required the unthinkable from Elway, the end of the play represents the end of his career where he was surrounded by HoF talent that helped Elway finish.

#deepthoughts