PDA

View Full Version : Jose Reyes drawing interest from Royals, according to former teammate

Denver Native (Carol)
06-17-2016, 02:03 PM
The Rockies made it clear Wednesday that shortstop Jose Reyes will not be back in purple pinstripes.

The 33-year-old shortstop was designated for assignment, giving Colorado 10 days to trade or release him. With the likelihood that the Rockies will be forced to eat the $41 million remaining on his contract through 2017, another team could decide to take a chance on the former NL batting champion and only pay him the league minimum with the Rockies covering the rest.

According to Reyes’ former teammate Alex Cora — who cites “sources” — the Kansas City Royals are considering Reyes to play second base.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/06/17/jose-reyes-drawing-interest-from-royals-according-to-former-teammate/

MOtorboat
06-17-2016, 02:06 PM
I'd be surprised. The Royals brass have said they want to move forward with Whit Merrifield and Christian Colon at the position, even with Moustakas done for the year at third. It's a bit of a M.A.S.H. unit right now, so it'd be nice to add a piece, just not sure where a guy who can't field and can't hit would fit.

slim
06-17-2016, 02:08 PM
I'd be surprised. The Royals brass have said they want to move forward with Whit Merrifield and Christian Colon at the position, even with Moustakas done for the year at third. It's a bit of a M.A.S.H. unit right now, so it'd be nice to add a piece, just not sure where a guy who can't field and can't hit would fit.

He can't pitch either....which makes him a good fit for the Rockies.

MOtorboat
06-17-2016, 02:12 PM
He can't pitch either....which makes him a good fit for the Rockies.

The Rockies have even less space for him with Trevor Story and an All-Star in the middle of the diamond. Granted Escobar isn't hitting very well at short for the Royals (.260 I believe), but his defense is light years ahead of Reyes.

weazel
06-17-2016, 04:05 PM
I think that would be a great move for the Royals :lol:
I dont see it happening

Dapper Dan
06-17-2016, 10:33 PM

What do you think about Merrifield? He seems promising. I picked him up on my fantasy team. I've got Moose Tacos on a couple teams, I wish I knew if he was coming back. What's going on with him?

MOtorboat
06-18-2016, 12:06 AM
What do you think about Merrifield? He seems promising. I picked him up on my fantasy team. I've got Moose Tacos on a couple teams, I wish I knew if he was coming back. What's going on with him?

Moustakas blew out his ACL. He's not coming back.

Merrifield has surprised. Seems like a guy who'd be a AAAA player most of his career. But if he hits around .300 (I think he's at .320+ right now), his defense is good enough to stick at second or be a super utility guy, because he can play all 7 positions.

Dapper Dan
06-18-2016, 12:36 AM

Merrifield has surprised. Seems like a guy who'd be a AAAA player most of his career. But if he hits around .300 (I think he's at .320+ right now), his defense is good enough to stick at second or be a super utility guy, because he can play all 7 positions.

Shit. I didn't know it was that bad.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-25-2016, 07:21 PM
ATLANTA — The Mets once gave Jose Reyes his first break, signing him as a teenager out of the Dominican Republic. Now, 17 years later, they are poised to give the embattled veteran his second chance.

Reyes will return to the organization that made him a star. The team announced Saturday afternoon that he has signed a minor-league deal and will report to the Brooklyn Cyclones.

The Mets said he is expected to play in Sunday’s 4 p.m. Cyclones game in Coney Island against Hudson Valley before moving on to either Double-A Binghamton or Triple-A Las Vegas.

rest - http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/jose-reyes-signs-mets-minor-league-deal-will-report-to-brooklyn-1.11966626

FanInAZ
06-27-2016, 05:37 AM

Seems like a guy who'd be a AAAA player most of his career.

Wow, I had no idea there was a 4A league :D