PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Marshall signed to four year extension

VonDoom
06-14-2016, 03:19 PM
Klis:

Per source Broncos have reached agreement on four-year extension with Brandon Marshall. $10 million signing bonus. #9news

chazoe60
06-14-2016, 03:19 PM
Great news.

VonDoom
06-14-2016, 03:27 PM
Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 5m5 minutes ago

Just saw Brandon Marshall walk out of Dove Valley with a smile on his face. Team has agreed to terms on a four-year deal with him.

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 4m4 minutes ago

Marshall and his agents were in a conference room at Dove Valley after Tuesday's practice and Marshall walked out of building short time ago

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 4m4 minutes ago

Talked #Broncos LB Brandon Marshall. He has agreed to 4 yr, $32 mill deal w $20 guaranteed and $10 Mill signing bonus. Well deserved

VonDoom
06-14-2016, 03:32 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 4m4 minutes ago

The tender offer on Marshall will be factored in. Will have numbers updated. this is contract extension that well deserved.He is core player

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago

#Broncos & LB Brandon Marshall have a new extension as @MikeKlis & @TroyRenck said. 4 yrs, $32M with $20M in guarantees. Through 2020.

John Elway ‏@johnelway 1m1 minute ago

Thrilled that our team has agreed to terms with LB Brandon Marshall on a four-year extension. He's become an integral part of our defense.

Valar Morghulis
06-14-2016, 03:33 PM
Awesome. Great deal for everyone.

Northman
06-14-2016, 03:34 PM
I just want the Von thing settled. Marshall is nice but he isnt the impact player that Von is.

VonDoom
06-14-2016, 03:37 PM
I just want the Von thing settled. Marshall is nice but he isnt the impact player that Von is.

He's a big piece of the puzzle, though. And Elway was apparently serious when he said he was turning his attention to Marshall and Sanders. I want the Von deal done as well, but I'm glad it wasn't holding up anything else.

VonDoom
06-14-2016, 03:38 PM
The $2.553 million salary Marshall was to receive as a second-round tendered restricted free agent will stay in place. A hefty signing bonus from his four-year extension will help tie him over until his new deal kicks in starting with the 2017 season.

http://www.9news.com/sports/broncos-reach-4-year-contract-extension-agreement-with-linebacker-brandon-marshall/243887004

VonDoom
06-14-2016, 03:39 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 5m5 minutes ago

#Broncos Marshall to The Post on contract extension: "This means the world. It means everything to me to be a Bronco."

Northman
06-14-2016, 03:39 PM
He's a big piece of the puzzle, though. And Elway was apparently serious when he said he was turning his attention to Marshall and Sanders. I want the Von deal done as well, but I'm glad it wasn't holding up anything else.

I was never worried about Marshall or Sanders. Those deals would of gotten done regardless.

Tned
06-14-2016, 03:42 PM
I like. Von who? Marshall isn't a one trick pony like the pass rusher, so Marshall was a more important signing....

Northman
06-14-2016, 03:43 PM
I like. Von who? Marshall isn't a one trick pony like the pass rusher, so Marshall was a more important signing....

That should make the Ravens happy when the fax machine screws up for Von at the last minute.

Davii
06-14-2016, 03:46 PM
Damned glad to hear it. Good job John and congratulations Brandon, very well deserved.

My question, since this doesn't start until next year, even though he gets the signing bonus now, does that bonus start counting in next year's cap figures? In other words, does he count a hair over 2 mill against the salary cap (his tag salary) or does he count 4.5ish against the cap?

That could be very important to what we can throw at Von and Emmanuel.

Davii
06-14-2016, 03:46 PM

Surely you jest. And i'll call you Shirley if I want to.

Tned
06-14-2016, 03:47 PM
Damned glad to hear it. Good job John and congratulations Brandon, very well deserved.

My question, since this doesn't start until next year, even though he gets the signing bonus now, does that bonus start counting in next year's cap figures? In other words, does he count a hair over 2 mill against the salary cap (his tag salary) or does he count 4.5ish against the cap?

Good question. Since it's an extension, I don't know if that gets prorated over the four years, or five years including this one.

GEM
06-14-2016, 03:51 PM

#Broncos Marshall to The Post on contract extension: "This means the world. It means everything to me to be a Bronco."

Talk about a guy pulling up his boot straps and putting in work. I love his back story! Love the guys that just want to be Broncos!

GEM
06-14-2016, 03:52 PM

Ok, Jr. :D

VonDoom
06-14-2016, 03:57 PM
I was never worried about Marshall or Sanders. Those deals would of gotten done regardless.

I wouldn't be so sure. I don't even know if Sanders re-signs here, to be honest. And we have had a history of waiting till mid- to end of season to do these deals. Getting this done now is a great job.

VonDoom
06-14-2016, 03:58 PM

Over the Cap should update soon and then we'll see what it looks like. Depends on, like you said, if the signing bonus starts now and if so, how much? They can manipulate the cap anyway they want.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-14-2016, 04:11 PM
ENGLEWOOD—The Denver Broncos have reached an agreement with linebacker Brandon Marshall on a four-year contract extension.

The $2.553 million salary Marshall was to receive as a second-round tendered restricted free agent will stay in place. The $10 million signing bonus from his four-year extension will help tie him over until his new deal kicks in starting with the 2017 season.

The new four-year segment of his contract is worth roughly $32 million or about $8 million a year. There are up to $20 million in full and injury guarantees.

Not bad for someone who was cut three times by the lowly Jacksonville Jaguars.

rest - http://www.9news.com/sports/broncos-reach-4-year-contract-extension-agreement-with-linebacker-brandon-marshall/243887004

Denver Native (Carol)
06-14-2016, 04:11 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 18m

John Elway will introduce LB Brandon Marshall at 4 pm presser. #9news

Denver Native (Carol)
06-14-2016, 04:15 PM
Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 51m

Marshall and his agents were in a conference room at Dove Valley after Tuesday's practice and Marshall walked out of building short time ago

I love it - Brandon and Derek definitely have confirmed where they want to be.

Poet
06-14-2016, 04:20 PM
I'm pleased with this. It has improved my day.

Dapper Dan
06-14-2016, 04:26 PM
Could he have gotten more than $8 million per year on an open market? I'm not so sure. I wonder how each year's number looks.

NightTerror218
06-14-2016, 04:33 PM
Shows that elway has stuff to do and cant wait on Von. I believe the offer is still on table for Von. And unless he sits out this year he will get the exclusive tag again. Top paid defensive player ever is hard to say no to.

Sanders will probably be signed to extension soo as elway focuses on him now

VonDoom
06-14-2016, 04:42 PM
Could he have gotten more than $8 million per year on an open market? I'm not so sure. I wonder how each year's number looks.

Consider that he's playing on his tender this year, which means we have him for five years if we want, $34.5 million total. AAV of less than $7 million. He probably could have gotten more if he waited till the off season but I'm glad he didn't

Denver Native (Carol)
06-14-2016, 05:01 PM
Looks like press conference will start shortly on Broncos' website

It started

pnbronco
06-14-2016, 05:04 PM
I'm really glad to read this. I thought it was amazing that he showed up to the camps even though his contract was up in the air. Really glad for Brandon...

Denver Native (Carol)
06-14-2016, 05:07 PM
I'm really glad to read this. I thought it was amazing that he showed up to the camps even though his contract was up in the air. Really glad for Brandon...

And it was great that the Broncos' agreed to take care of him, in case he was injured.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-14-2016, 05:09 PM
Brandon just said what drives me is not necessarily the cash, the money, I just want to be the best.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-14-2016, 05:12 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3m

#Broncos Marshall still uses his experience in Jacksonville as motivation. Cut 3 times. Still has chip on his shoulder.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 5m

#Broncos GM Elway. "He plays with the passion and hard work that we like to see. He works his tail off."

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 7m

#broncos Marshall looking sharp "I will earn every penny"

Troy Renck Retweeted
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 1h

Brandon Marshall's deal puts him in the top 10 in average ILB salary/year. He got 8M more gtd than Danny Trevathan did on the open market.

Denver Native (Carol)
06-14-2016, 05:14 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 30s

#Broncos Marshall: "It means a lot the (Broncos) believe in me because so many people didn't..."

Denver Native (Carol)
06-14-2016, 05:20 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 44s

#Broncos Brandon Marshall said former OC Adam Gase and Peyton Manning helped get him promoted off practice squad

BORDERLINE
06-14-2016, 05:20 PM
Great News finally! He worked hard just like Chris Harris and it got him paid! Now we really got to get down to business with Von's deal. 70 mill looks to be the number now. Crazy? Or just the way it is now?

dogfish
06-14-2016, 05:56 PM

love this. . .

:defense:

you gotta reward the kicking and screaming guys if you want it to work. . . and brandon't coverage ability is a huge part of what we do on defense-- he's a true four down 'backer, who can play either 43 or 34 base, and really shines in nickel and dime. . . plus he's a grinder. . . still gotta get von done, but if/when we can, the core of this championship defense will be intact for at least the next few years. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
06-14-2016, 06:07 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Denver Broncos linebacker Brandon Marshall said all along he believed contract negotiations would "work out'' and they have -- to the tune of a four-year, $32 million extension.

Marshall walked out of the Broncos' suburban Denver complex shortly after Tuesday's practice with a wide smile on his face. The deal, which begins in 2017, includes a $10 million signing bonus with $15 million fully guaranteed and $20 million in potential guarantees overall.

AND

When asked if Marshall's deal impacted negotiations with Miller, Elway said quickly: "No.''

full article - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/16208642/denver-broncos-brandon-marshall-agree-four-year-extension

Denver Native (Carol)
06-14-2016, 10:05 PM
Marshall: Higher expectations, bigger goals
Broncos TV's Phil Milani talks 1-on-1 to Brandon Marshall about the added pressure after signing a new deal and what he expects from himself this season

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Marshall-Higher-expectations-bigger-goals/45a2c11c-d580-4020-aeec-7bd0cd692599

Marshall on new deal: 'I'll earn ever penny'
LB Brandon Marshall talks about his new 4-year extension with the Broncos on Tuesday.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Marshall-on-new-deal-Ill-earn-ever-penny/f1e3831b-696b-4177-b66c-64447251817a

Canmore
06-14-2016, 10:38 PM
Good question. Since it's an extension, I don't know if that gets prorated over the four years, or five years including this one.

Not a capologist, but if he gets the bonus now, how does that not count toward this years cap.

Joel
06-15-2016, 12:02 AM
I hear what you're saying, but Marshall's also critical, especially now that Trevathan's in Chicago. We need coverage LBs, too, and Marshall's the only one with proven experience in that role. Von can do that, but there's a strong consensus he's far more valuable elsewhere.

I personally doubt it, but haven't checked: Are many starting ILBs making $8M/yr? Even 4-3 Mikes?

Simple Jaded
06-15-2016, 12:17 AM

They could've signed him for next to nothing during the season according to Malik Jackson.

Simple Jaded
06-15-2016, 12:28 AM
Not a capologist, but if he gets the bonus now, how does that not count toward this years cap.

If he gets a bonus now it's probably a signing bonus and would count evenly against the cap for each year of the deal (including this seasons cap).

Roster and workout bonuses are different and are usually tied to a specific day in any given year.

VonDoom
06-15-2016, 06:26 AM

I'm guessing that since the "new" deal doesn't kick in until 2017, the bonus doesn't hit the cap until then either. He'll get the cash now, and the $10 million will probably be spread evenly among the 2017-2020 years. We'll find out when they release more details.

The Glue Factory
06-15-2016, 12:06 PM
And according to some anonymous FO Exec somewhere Denver's getting a reputation for offering horrid contracts (referring to Miller's contract negotiations.) Doesn't seem like this contract supports that unfounded claim.

TXBRONC
06-15-2016, 06:47 PM
I'm glad this is done.

Dapper Dan
06-15-2016, 08:43 PM
And according to some anonymous FO Exec somewhere Denver's getting a reputation for offering horrid contracts (referring to Miller's contract negotiations.) Doesn't seem like this contract supports that unfounded claim.

Depending on how it's set up. I'm guessing it'll be set up so we can ask him to take a pay cut or get cut in the last 2 years.

Simple Jaded
06-17-2016, 09:10 PM
Tom Nalen agreed that the Broncos have been serving shit sandwich contracts.

VonDoom
06-17-2016, 10:41 PM
Tom Nalen agreed that the Broncos have been serving shit sandwich contracts.

Like the $20 million guaranteed we gave Marshall?

TXBRONC
06-17-2016, 10:49 PM

This sound like some bitter FO Exec who is peeing in the well because he doesn't know how to negotiate a contract.

Joel
06-18-2016, 01:44 AM
After lowballing him on a tender deal he didn't want to sign (at the expense of offering CJ nothing but a matching tender that cost us $4M/yr to keep him) and watching our only other proven coverage LB leave for Chicago. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we locked up both players for a while, but I can't help feeling $12M/yr for the pair of them was the most expensive of the many viable ways we could've done it.

Trying to keep them for a single year at $3-4M total wound up costing us 3-4X that per year to keep them long term.

I don't get why Elway's so good at negotiating FA contracts in competition with 31 other teams yet so bad at negotiating them when he has exclusive rights.

Valar Morghulis
06-18-2016, 02:24 AM
I don't get why Elway's so good at negotiating FA contracts in competition with 31 other teams yet so bad at negotiating them when he has exclusive rights.

Intuitively this sounds like it should make sense. But who has he not done a good job with?

Too often the problem is players and agents that refuse to accept huge deals for the sake of perceived "respect", then the FO get flamed for not paying everyone.

I can accept cj Anderson. That looks like a gamble that didn't pay off.

Doom.....i was annoyed at the time, but maybe Elway did not want to spend that money on a situation pass rusher.

Clady, he did not deserve a big contract from us.

DRC fair offer, declined by a player wanting to play hard ball

Thomas... Refused to sign until dez set the market

The other Thomas... I'm so pleased he's not here for the money he got

Decker, I loved him, but at the time we could not justify the money he would get elsewhere

Trevathon, great player but can't pay everyone top dollar when we have others the coaches believe can replace him, what's the problem

Malik, I liked him, but paying him more than Wolfe would have been an injustice

Oz... If after watching him for four years, they did not feel he was worth top tier money, I'm glad they never paid it.

Von Miller, they just offered him the highest non quarterback contract on history, now I agree the guarantees should be higher, but it was hardly an insult.

Elway has a job to do and the financial longevity of a franchise to consider, if these guys don't want to play for perennial contenders for the sake of an extra million elsewhere, let them walk.

Simple Jaded
06-18-2016, 04:58 AM

I don't know, call and ask him.

I don't personally care who makes what or what people think of who, just care about who makes this roster. The Broncos could have the worst rep in the league as long as they're still signing Ware's, Manning's and DT's.

VonDoom
06-18-2016, 06:41 AM
After lowballing him on a tender deal he didn't want to sign (at the expense of offering CJ nothing but a matching tender that cost us $4M/yr to keep him) and watching our only other proven coverage LB leave for Chicago. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we locked up both players for a while, but I can't help feeling $12M/yr for the pair of them was the most expensive of the many viable ways we could've done it.

Trying to keep them for a single year at $3-4M total wound up costing us 3-4X that per year to keep them long term.

The CJ deal was a misstep, but ultimately I don't care, since he's still on this team.

Marshall was tendered at a second round level, which was perfectly valid. Just because he grumbled slightly in the media doesn't mean it was the wrong move. This is how negotiations work. We then signed him to a very generous deal, like we should have, a year before he reached FA. This is what you always ask, yet you're still complaining?

You also skipped over the Harris and Wolfe deals, which were both team friendly yet both players were happy to sign them.

They clearly wanted Marshall long term instead of Trevathan, which is why we never made him an offer. Just because you might have done it differently doesn't make it wrong. You also posted about Sanders - they're attempting to lock him up a year before his deal ends, which you "rant" about all the time, yet you're concerned we're going to low ball him when no such thing has happened yet. Which way do you want it?

I don't understand why you spend so much time bitching about Elway when we just won a Super Bowl with a roster that he put together. It's just a strange battle to fight, but I guess since the season isn't happening, you can't complain about the offensive line or why Ward is a linebacker, not a safety. You've managed to bring back the Talib complaints because he's made himself a story this offseason, but otherwise your hill to die on seems to be, "Elway doesn't know how to negotiate with his own players."

BroncoJoe
06-18-2016, 08:25 AM
It must really suck being a miserable SOB all the time.

Simple Jaded
06-18-2016, 02:03 PM
I heard this on the Comedy Station; a "Joy Whack-a-Mole", reminds me of Joel.

When fans try to enjoy something about the Broncos Joel is there to bash them over the head with a clown hammer.

VonDoom
06-23-2016, 09:19 AM
The full details of the Marshall contract are finally out there:

Early reports were accurate on two main details: that Marshall got a $10 million signing bonus, and that his base salary based upon his RFA tender was not changed. However, his 2016 cap number is not unchanged: that increases to $4.553 million. This leaves the Broncos with less than $3 million in room. However, at this time of year I would not worry about that much. Even possible Von Miller and Emmanuel Sanders extensions can be crafted to match or even lower their 2016 cap numbers, and the Broncos also have a ton of 2017 cap space.

As an aside, the discovery of two team options on the final two years of the contract continue to demonstrate that the Broncos, like the Ravens and Patriots, are fully on board with manipulating the compensatory pick system to their advantage, so that they can void Marshall’s contract instead of outright cutting him. Previously, they successfully negotiated similar clauses with Demaryius Thomas and Derek Wolfe.

http://in-thinair.com/2016/06/23/brandon-marshalls-full-contract-extension-details/

http://overthecap.com/player/brandon-marshall/2658/

Ravage!!!
06-23-2016, 09:38 AM
I heard this on the Comedy Station; a "Joy Whack-a-Mole", reminds me of Joel.

When fans try to enjoy something about the Broncos Joel is there to bash them over the head with a clown hammer.

He's the epitome of the "Debbie Downer" skit on SNL.