PDA

View Full Version : Russell Wilson calls Von Miller about 'king of swag' award

Denver Native (Carol)
05-19-2016, 07:59 PM
For the second straight year, Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson will be hosting the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Sports Awards.

And this week, he reached out to Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller to let him know that he's been nominated in two categories, including the "king of swag" award.

Wilson posted video of the FaceTime conversation to his Instagram account.

http://scores.espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/20038/russell-wilson-facetimes-von-miller-to-let-him-know-about-king-of-swag-award

Joel
05-19-2016, 09:14 PM
http://scores.espn.go.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/20038/russell-wilson-facetimes-von-miller-to-let-him-know-about-king-of-swag-award
Cam should be taking notes, because Wilson's a FAR classier, smarter and overall more talented QB (of course, I'm only saying that because he's not black. ;)) Wilson's a great example of a guy who makes people feel conflicted by being the ONLY player people like—a lot—on a team they otherwise categorically despise. I concede sometimes feeling like he tries a bit too hard with the whole "proud to be humble" thing (except when lolling by his pool with his bird,) but it's hard to blame him: He went from an also rans 3rd round pick from a 2nd tier school to SB Champ in just three years. He entered the NFL with FAR less hype than Cam, had done FAR more, yet also did a FAR better job of acting like he's been there before (even when he hadn't.)

Pity he plays for the Cheathawks; I'd sure rather have him than Sanchez, possibly even Lynch (too soon to say on that last one.) :(

Simple Jaded
05-20-2016, 11:16 PM
I'm still grateful the Broncos didn't draft Wilson, no say I'm taking him over Lynch.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-21-2016, 01:12 AM
I'm still grateful the Broncos didn't draft Wilson, no say I'm taking him over Lynch.

Have you lost your mind dude?

Simple Jaded
05-21-2016, 06:31 PM

Several times, is that bad?

DenBronx
05-21-2016, 07:09 PM

What if Lynch turns out to be a pro bowl QB?

Joel
05-21-2016, 08:42 PM
What if Lynch turns out to be a pro bowl QB?
Then we'll be somewhat better off than we would've been with a very good and versatile QB—but what if Lynch busts? Then a 28-year-old who's already PROVEN himself one of the NFLs top QBs would look pretty darned good. I guarantee the likes of Sanchez couldn't keep a healthy Wilson on the bench any time in the next half dozen years, and it would've cost SF half their draft picks (plus another $3M) to swap him for Kaep.

Maybe Lynch will be a first ballot HoFer; as unlikely as that is, I certainly HOPE it's true. But we don't NEED a first ballot HoFer under center, just a guy who's good at many things, awful at none and knows how to get OUT of trouble instead of butt-fumbling INTO it. Wilson does ALL those things better than anyone but Rodgers, will continue doing them very well for many years (barring injury) and does them NOW, rather than forcing his team to try to keep one of the all-time great Ds intact long enough for him to figure out how to be a pro QB.

So yeah, I'd much prefer a sure thing like Wilson now to whatever Lynch turns out to be in a few years. If nothing else, because statistical history says even a QB picked #1 overall (as Lynch certainly wasn't) is much more likely to crash and burn than wind up in Canton. Remember: It's "win from now on," not "win in a few more years, maybe, if todays defensive studs don't become casualties of age or free agency and our late 1st round QB's not a bust."

Simple Jaded
05-21-2016, 10:12 PM
Wilson isn't a sure thing for Denver or any one the other teams he doesn't play for, we have zero idea how hard it is to coordinate an offense for a short QB, teams want tall QB's for a reason.

Cugel
05-24-2016, 03:22 PM
For the second straight year, Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson will be hosting the Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Sports Awards.

And this week, he reached out to Denver Broncos linebacker Von Miller to let him know that he's been nominated in two categories, including the "king of swag" award.

Wilson posted video of the FaceTime conversation to his Instagram account.

Just so he doesn't go back to being the "king of Schwag!" :laugh:

Cugel
05-24-2016, 03:26 PM
Then we'll be somewhat better off than we would've been with a very good and versatile QB—but what if Lynch busts? Then a 28-year-old who's already PROVEN himself one of the NFLs top QBs would look pretty darned good. I guarantee the likes of Sanchez couldn't keep a healthy Wilson on the bench any time in the next half dozen years, and it would've cost SF half their draft picks (plus another $3M) to swap him for Kaep.

Maybe Lynch will be a first ballot HoFer; as unlikely as that is, I certainly HOPE it's true. But we don't NEED a first ballot HoFer under center, just a guy who's good at many things, awful at none and knows how to get OUT of trouble instead of butt-fumbling INTO it. Wilson does ALL those things better than anyone but Rodgers, will continue doing them very well for many years (barring injury) and does them NOW, rather than forcing his team to try to keep one of the all-time great Ds intact long enough for him to figure out how to be a pro QB.

So yeah, I'd much prefer a sure thing like Wilson now to whatever Lynch turns out to be in a few years. If nothing else, because statistical history says even a QB picked #1 overall (as Lynch certainly wasn't) is much more likely to crash and burn than wind up in Canton. Remember: It's "win from now on," not "win in a few more years, maybe, if todays defensive studs don't become casualties of age or free agency and our late 1st round QB's not a bust."

And I'd prefer a young Tom Brady, but he ain't coming to town either.

I'll take Lynch as a prospect over Osweiler any day. Is Lynch going to be better than Wilson? Who the hell knows, but we do know Wilson's not leaving Seattle anytime in the next 5 years.

Wilson is also making $22M a year, which doesn't fit into the Broncos salary cap, even if you had magic pixie dust that could transport him here.

Simple Jaded
05-24-2016, 05:18 PM
How can you build your NFL team around a QB that can't go on any cool rides at an amusement park?

"You throw out measurables with a guy like Wilson", nope.

Joel
05-24-2016, 08:41 PM
And I'd prefer a young Tom Brady, but he ain't coming to town either.

I'll take Lynch as a prospect over Osweiler any day. Is Lynch going to be better than Wilson? Who the hell knows, but we do know Wilson's not leaving Seattle anytime in the next 5 years.

Wilson is also making $22M a year, which doesn't fit into the Broncos salary cap, even if you had magic pixie dust that could transport him here.
Oh, sure, Lynch was our Best Shot Available. That doesn't mean we're better off with a guy who has less pro SNAPS than Wilson has SB starts, and the suggestion we are smacks of sour grapes. The need and difficulty of finding passers as good as Wilson is the reason we traded up to spend a 1st rounder on the 3rd QB in what most folks seemed to think a weak QB class. So, yeah, I'd rather have Wilson than hope Lynch beats long odds against him being as good or better.

We CAN'T have him, even for $22M/yr, but that doesn't mean we're better off with Lynch.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-25-2016, 12:24 AM
How can you build your NFL team around a QB that can't go on any cool rides at an amusement park?

"You throw out measurables with a guy like Wilson", nope.

Wasn't there 22 TD's measured for one stretch last season with no INT's?

He's definitely not short on winning and quarterback ratings.

Ravage!!!
05-25-2016, 08:59 AM
Wilson isn't a sure thing for Denver or any one the other teams he doesn't play for, we have zero idea how hard it is to coordinate an offense for a short QB, teams want tall QB's for a reason.

Yes.. this is what was said BEFORE the draft, and why he fell. But then he actually PLAYED in the NFL for several years, and proved that there are definite exceptions to the rule.

Just as you wouldn't count on 6th round picks playing like Tom Brady, you wouldn't expect a shorter QB to be so damned good. I was skeptical of him even after his SB winning season as I didn't think he could succeed if the team relied on him to throw the ball..... then the second Super Bowl season came, and I was proved wrong.

Wilson can just flat out play in the NFL, height or none. He's proved that issue isn't a factor, for him.

Simple Jaded
05-25-2016, 09:56 PM
You're entitled to your wrong opinion.

Cugel
05-29-2016, 08:00 PM
Oh, sure, Lynch was our Best Shot Available. That doesn't mean we're better off with a guy who has less pro SNAPS than Wilson has SB starts, and the suggestion we are smacks of sour grapes. The need and difficulty of finding passers as good as Wilson is the reason we traded up to spend a 1st rounder on the 3rd QB in what most folks seemed to think a weak QB class. So, yeah, I'd rather have Wilson than hope Lynch beats long odds against him being as good or better.

We CAN'T have him, even for $22M/yr, but that doesn't mean we're better off with Lynch.

Would the Broncos be better off this season with Russell Wilson starting instead of Paxton Lynch? Sure.

They'd also be better off with Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rogers, Cam Newton, Ben Roethlisberger or Andrew Luck none of whom are playing in Denver. So, what's your point?

Simple Jaded
05-29-2016, 10:13 PM
OH well, can't have Arnold Wilson and his wallet that's taller than he is.

:snapsfingers:

Joel
05-30-2016, 12:28 AM
Would the Broncos be better off this season with Russell Wilson starting instead of Paxton Lynch? Sure.

They'd also be better off with Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rogers, Cam Newton, Ben Roethlisberger or Andrew Luck none of whom are playing in Denver. So, what's your point?
That I find it odd to be "grateful" we don't have Wilson, even with the rookie maybe-surefire (eventually) QB we've got instead.

"shrugs" Opinions are like ********: Everybody has one and thinks it's the ONLY one that doesn't stink.

Simple Jaded
05-30-2016, 01:13 AM
Imo, you're a stinky *******.

Joel
05-30-2016, 04:32 PM
Imo, you're a stinky *******.
That's fine, because
You're entitled to your wrong opinion.

Simple Jaded
05-31-2016, 12:14 AM
Ok, valid point, I don't know so perhaps you're just an *******.

Broncoknight30
06-02-2016, 03:19 PM

Interestingly enough he operates a version of the west coast stretch run. He does more than just run and for those people that thinks he won ONLY because of the defense or Marshawn Lynch should take a look at how he ranked as a PASSER.

Jimmy Graham went out last year and his WRs are not exactly great. Very effective, but not top 5 WRs. He was the highest rated passer last year. His TD to INT ratio is outstanding.

He was the number 1 rated passer and he has been sacked BTW at a far higher rate than Andrew Luck, for those who think Luck has had such a bad team around him. Wilson is more than just a guy who is a "game manager." He does A LOT to extend plays and keeps the chains moving.

Joel
06-02-2016, 08:04 PM
Interestingly enough he operates a version of the west coast stretch run. He does more than just run and for those people that thinks he won ONLY because of the defense or Marshawn Lynch should take a look at how he ranked as a PASSER.

Jimmy Graham went out last year and his WRs are not exactly great. Very effective, but not top 5 WRs. He was the highest rated passer last year. His TD to INT ratio is outstanding.

He was the number 1 rated passer and he has been sacked BTW at a far higher rate than Andrew Luck, for those who think Luck has had such a bad team around him. Wilson is more than just a guy who is a "game manager." He does A LOT to extend plays and keeps the chains moving.
Seattle was 6th in net passing yds/att when they won the SB. Some of that was Wilson avoiding sacks (the "net" part of "net passing yds") and some an old school, T-QB, Tebow style passing game that threw rarely but DEEP.

Some of it was Wilson flat out throwing well. It's the NFL, not the NBA, so 5'11" isn't "short." He's halfway between 5'10" Doug Flutie and 6' Drew Brees; maybe it's time we got past the "must be tall enough to see over 6'6" linemen" thing (especially as much as teams use shotgun now.)

Simple Jaded
06-03-2016, 12:20 AM
You can't get past shit, Joel, practice what you preach.

Btw, the shotgun doesn't do a damn thing to help a QB see over lineman.

You guys take Arnold, I'll take Luck.

Joel
06-03-2016, 12:28 PM
You can't get past shit, Joel, practice what you preach.

Btw, the shotgun doesn't do a damn thing to help a QB see over lineman.

You guys take Arnold, I'll take Luck.
Whachou talking about, Wilson?!
Luck doesn't win SBs.

Simple Jaded
06-03-2016, 11:35 PM
Whachou talking about, Wilson?!
Luck doesn't win SBs.

Neither does Wilson.

Btw, care to explain how shotgun helps Mini-me play QB?

Joel
06-03-2016, 11:49 PM
Neither does Wilson.

Yet he inexplicably has the jewelry anyway.

Btw, care to explain how shotgun helps Mini-me play QB?
Same way it helps everyone play QB: It gives them a better view of defenders and receivers, and increases the time the pass rush needs to reach them. Again, "Mini-me" is 5'11"; since I'm 5'10" you must think I have to literally look up to our resident midget. ;)

Simple Jaded
06-04-2016, 12:01 AM
Shotgun doesnt make offensive lineman and defensive lineman in front of the QB appear any smaller, it's not a rear view mirror.

Btw, Mini-me was a midget character in a movie, it was a comedy so I wouldnt be shocked if you've never heard of it.

Cugel
06-05-2016, 12:20 PM
That I find it odd to be "grateful" we don't have Wilson, even with the rookie maybe-surefire (eventually) QB we've got instead.

"shrugs" Opinions are like ********: Everybody has one and thinks it's the ONLY one that doesn't stink.

I wouldn't be grateful either. There are some fans who still don't think Russell Wilson is a top 10 Qb in this league. They are stupid and wrong.

Cugel
06-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Shotgun doesnt make offensive lineman and defensive lineman in front of the QB appear any smaller, it's not a rear view mirror.

Btw, Mini-me was a midget character in a movie, it was a comedy so I wouldnt be shocked if you've never heard of it.

I think you just misunderstood his point Jaded. Actually shot-gun does make it easier to see over the line.

Cause you're farther away. It's simple Perspective. The angular distance in degrees blocked by a 6'5" lineman is greater the closer you are to them, just as your hand held right in front of your face can block your entire vision, but held at arms' length does not. If (theoretically) the Qb could stand 20' from the line, he could see past them just fine. Not that that is practical.

Simple Jaded
06-05-2016, 09:14 PM
I think you just misunderstood his point Jaded. Actually shot-gun does make it easier to see over the line.

Cause you're farther away. It's simple Perspective. The angular distance in degrees blocked by a 6'5" lineman is greater the closer you are to them, just as your hand held right in front of your face can block your entire vision, but held at arms' length does not. If (theoretically) the Qb could stand 20' from the line, he could see past them just fine. Not that that is practical.

I understand perfectly, it's a cute theory. Even if your right (W/E), you don't actually throw the ball any further from the OL out of shotgun, else you'd be that much harder to protect. Actually, you typically throw the ball deeper in the pocket in a seven step drop. All the shotgun does is take the drop from C out of the equation, it doesn't make much difference in the launch point.

When they say it's easier to see the field they're talking about not having to turn your back to the defense.

Simple Jaded
06-05-2016, 09:17 PM
I wouldn't be grateful either. There are some fans who still don't think Russell Wilson is a top 10 Qb in this league. They are stupid and wrong.

I didn't say anything about Wilson's ranking, I said I am grateful he's not a Bronco.

Drew Bree's, Top 10, don't want him.
Cam Newton, Top 10, don't want him.
Tyrod Taylor, Next Big Thang, don't want him.