PDA

View Full Version : Did Dikembe Mutombo reveal that the NBA Draft lottery is rigged?

Denver Native (Carol)
05-17-2016, 06:00 PM
With a single tweet, Hall of Fame big man Dikembe Mutombo might have exposed a multiple-decade conspiracy that the NBA has perpetuated on the sport-loving public.

Or he didn't.

One or the other. It's probably the latter.

Regardless of whether he did or didn't, Mutombo certainly added some additional intrigue to an already fascinating NBA Draft lottery when the former Nuggets, Hawks, and 76ers big man tweeted Tuesday afternoon "Congrats to @Sixers on grabbing the first pick in the #NBADraft."

This is all the evidence you would ever need to prove the long-held conspiracy theory that the lottery is rigged and the NBA is rewarding the 76ers for firing subversive GM Sam Hinkie.

Or not. Again, this could go either way.

rest - http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/dikembe-mutombo-tweet-nba-draft-lottery-rigged-76ers-sixers-philadelphia-051716

MOtorboat
05-17-2016, 07:28 PM
Oh boy.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-17-2016, 07:38 PM
So don't think anything of Mutombo admitting he got confused in a follow-up tweet. The NBA forced him to send that out after they found out he pulled back the curtain on the entire operation.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/dikembe-mutombo-tweet-nba-draft-lottery-rigged-76ers-sixers-philadelphia-051716

Davii
05-18-2016, 08:18 AM
The intrigue. The suspense.

BroncoJoe
05-18-2016, 09:43 AM
The intrigue. The suspense.

The obvious.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-18-2016, 09:59 AM
It took less than a minute for Dikembe Mutombo to realize he had done something horribly wrong after he tweeted a premature congratulations to his former team for winning the NBA draft lottery.

“Congrats to @Sixers on grabbing the #1 spot in the #NBADraft,” he tweeted hours before the 76ers actually won the lottery,

It was a tweet that had been suggested in an email, which Mutombo forwarded to For The Win, sent from a team staffer in the event that the team did win the lottery.

“As you know tonight is the NBA Draft Lottery and we are all excited and hopeful we walk away with the #1 overall pick,” the email read. “To help create excitement for the team, would it be possible for you (or whoever controls your account) to post a congratulatory tweet in the event we do get the #1 Overall Pick? I know you have ties to many teams, but none of which would be in the running for the #1 pick this year.”

There were sample tweets provided, along with a suggestion to just retweet the 76ers account.

Mutombo said he was busy and didn’t read the email carefully, but wanted to be supportive so he posted the tweet. When he realized his mistake minutes later, he immediately took it down. “Sorry, guys,” he tweeted. “Got excited about the @sixers odds and got ahead of myself.Still keeping my fingers crossed for tonight.”

So when fans argue the tweet is proof the draft is rigged?

“People will say whatever they want to say,” he said on Tuesday night. “… You cannot stop them.”

rest - http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/05/dikembe-mutombo-tweet-explanation

Well OK - supposedly the email sent to Dikembe stated - "I know you have ties to many teams, but none of which would be in the running for the #1 pick this year.” Let's see - Coach Malone was there representing the Nuggets - the organization who drafted Dikembe, and one of the organizations that he played for the most years - 5, BUT, they would not be in the running for the #1 pick this year???????

underrated29
05-18-2016, 10:24 AM
basketball sucks

weazel
05-18-2016, 10:25 AM
basketball sucks

no truer words

Ravage!!!
05-18-2016, 10:39 AM
It's amazing how quickly everyone wants to believe in conspiracies. I guess it's this desire, or fascination, to believe in pre-destination.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-18-2016, 08:28 PM
Haven't they had the #1 multiple times in recent history?

BroncoWave
05-18-2016, 09:04 PM
This year should be perfect proof that the lottery isn't rigged. With LA and Boston in the top 3, why would the NBA give Philly the top pick over either of them?

MOtorboat
05-18-2016, 09:06 PM
Haven't they had the #1 multiple times in recent history?

Not the number one overall, but their GM, who was fired this year purposely tanked for the last four or five years. They've drafted Jhalil Okafor and Joel Embiid and traded for Nerlens Noel. Embiid hasn't even played yet because of a bum foot. They also drafted Elfrid Payton and Michael Carter-Williams in the lottery and traded both away.

MOtorboat
05-18-2016, 09:07 PM
This year should be perfect proof that the lottery isn't rigged. With LA and Boston in the top 3, why would the NBA give Philly the top pick over either of them?

The theory goes: it's a reward for firing the dufus who was tanking (i can't think of his name right now) and to try to make them competitive.

BroncoWave
05-18-2016, 09:09 PM
The theory goes: it's a reward for firing the dufus who was tanking (i can't think of his name right now) and to try to make them competitive.

I see. Even still, if we are going with the premise that the NBA rigs the lottery, I think the NBA would much rather infuse talent into LA and Boston than to reward Philly for firing Hinkie.

MOtorboat
05-18-2016, 09:12 PM
I see. Even still, if we are going with the premise that the NBA rigs the lottery, I think the NBA would much rather infuse talent into LA and Boston than to reward Philly for firing Hinkie.

Never fear, L.A. will get Ingram and he's going to be a stud. Boston had the Nets pick, so they'll get a nice piece to plug into an already talented, well-coached team.

Simmons actually probably fits in quite well in Philadelphia.

Simple Jaded
05-21-2016, 12:28 AM
These are not the droids you're looking for.

FanInAZ
05-21-2016, 01:44 AM
1) If there was a shred of truth to any of this, with all of the GMs & coaches out there that I'm sure are upset over how they were treated by their former team, why haven't one of them come forward with this information.

2) What is Mutombo doing for work these days anyways. When he did that stupid GEICO commercial a few years back, it was the 1st time I'd heard his name in something like 20 years.

3) Like the OP article said, why would he have access to this kind of inside information?

4) Why did the 76ers think that a congratulatory tweet by him would generate any enthusiasm in the fan base?

Denver Native (Carol)
05-21-2016, 11:05 AM
NBA Commissioner David Stern announced today that Dikembe Mutombo will join the NBA in the newly created position of global ambassador. Mutombo will report to Executive Vice President, Social Responsibility & Player Programs, Kathy Behrens.

After retiring from a playing career that spanned 18 seasons, Mutombo will now work to grow and celebrate the game through numerous international NBA events including Basketball without Borders. In addition, he will work closely on NBA Cares outreach efforts with Hall of Famer Bob Lanier who serves as Special Assistant to the Commissioner.

"Dikembe's extraordinary accomplishments on the court and in the community demonstrate why he is one of sports' outstanding humanitarians," Stern said. "His commitment to using the values of our game to improve the lives of so many is an example of the special role we have in being leaders in social responsibility. We know the impact programs such as NBA Cares and Basketball without Borders have in being catalysts for change on a global scale, and Dikembe's continued contributions will be invaluable in our global efforts to bring attention to important social issues."

Mutombo started the Dikembe Mutombo Foundation to improve living conditions in his native Democratic Republic of Congo in 1997. His commitment to improving the health, education and quality of life for the people in his birthplace, the Democratic Republic of the Congo led to the construction and opening of the Biamba Marie Mutombo Hospital and Research Center, a $29 million, 300-bed hospital in Kinshasa named after his late mother.

rest - http://www.nba.com/2009/news/11/17/mutombo.nba/

Big hands and a big heart save tiny lives in The Congo

http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/10/world/africa/iyw-dikembe-mutombo/

FanInAZ - some of the things Dikembe is involved in

Davii
05-21-2016, 07:28 PM
1) If there was a shred of truth to any of this, with all of the GMs & coaches out there that I'm sure are upset over how they were treated by their former team, why haven't one of them come forward with this information.

2) What is Mutombo doing for work these days anyways. When he did that stupid GEICO commercial a few years back, it was the 1st time I'd heard his name in something like 20 years.

3) Like the OP article said, why would he have access to this kind of inside information?

4) Why did the 76ers think that a congratulatory tweet by him would generate any enthusiasm in the fan base?

I'm not saying any of this is true, however, if a former "disgruntled" coach decided to spill the beans on the NBA I'm certain they'd have a hard time getting work in the NBA anymore.

BroncoWave
05-21-2016, 08:03 PM

Point #2 is very ignorant and ill-informed. As Carol laid out above, Dikembe does tons of humanitarian stuff and is heavily involved in growing the NBA globally. Seriously, look him up on what he has done since retiring. He's not just some bum shooting his mouth off.

BroncoWave
05-21-2016, 08:05 PM
I'm not saying any of this is true, however, if a former "disgruntled" coach decided to spill the beans on the NBA I'm certain they'd have a hard time getting work in the NBA anymore.

The lottery has been going on for long enough to where people who were coaching in the 80s are now retired and would never even have any interest in coaching in the NBA again. I think there is about a zero percent chance at least once disgruntled former NBA employee would not have spilled the beans by now if the lottery really were rigged.

Davii
05-21-2016, 08:23 PM
The lottery has been going on for long enough to where people who were coaching in the 80s are now retired and would never even have any interest in coaching in the NBA again. I think there is about a zero percent chance at least once disgruntled former NBA employee would not have spilled the beans by now if the lottery really were rigged.

Saying it is or has been rigged does not mean it has always been so.

BroncoWave
05-21-2016, 08:42 PM
Saying it is or has been rigged does not mean it has always been so.

Yes, but one of the biggest conspiracy theories is that is was rigged for the Knicks in 85. Over 30 years later, I just have a hard time believing that not one single person would have opened their mouth about it by now.

Davii
05-21-2016, 08:51 PM
Yes, but one of the biggest conspiracy theories is that is was rigged for the Knicks in 85. Over 30 years later, I just have a hard time believing that not one single person would have opened their mouth about it by now.

I'm sure things have happened over the years. Everytime, completely rigged? No. But to say it's always on the level is pretty naive as well.

BroncoWave
05-21-2016, 10:05 PM
I'm sure things have happened over the years. Everytime, completely rigged? No. But to say it's always on the level is pretty naive as well.

What makes you "sure"? There's as much proof that any NBA lottery has ever been tampered with/rigged as there is that Bush ordered 9/11.

Davii
05-21-2016, 10:11 PM
What makes you "sure"? There's as much proof that any NBA lottery has ever been tampered with/rigged as there is that Bush ordered 9/11.

What makes you the opposite?

BroncoWave
05-21-2016, 10:15 PM
What makes you the opposite?

Members of the media who have sat in the room year after year and watched the NBA draw the ping pong balls and who have unanimously said that it would be impossible to rig such a system the way they have it set up.

Also, I'm not the one accusing the NBA of wrongdoing, so the burden of proof isn't on me. This is still America, and both individuals and corporations are innocent until proven guilty.

Davii
05-21-2016, 10:18 PM

So, why pass up the opportunity to make some cash by showing the drawing live?

Look, to be honest, the NBA lost it's appeal to me years ago. I think it's a terrible product, I would MUCH rather watch college ball.

I'm not accusing them either. I simply don't give a ****.

FanInAZ
05-23-2016, 07:58 PM
Point #2 is very ignorant and ill-informed. As Carol laid out above, Dikembe does tons of humanitarian stuff and is heavily involved in growing the NBA globally. Seriously, look him up on what he has done since retiring. He's not just some bum shooting his mouth off.

A lot of players have done humanitarian stuff. Larry Fiz is not only a humanitarian, but is the kind of human being that ever parent hopes their child will grow up to be like. Does that mean that the Cards are going to tell him all their dirty secrets &/or need his blessing in order to get the fans excited about their latest transaction?

BroncoWave
05-23-2016, 08:13 PM
A lot of players have done humanitarian stuff. Larry Fiz is not only a humanitarian, but is the kind of human being that ever parent hopes their child will grow up to be like. Does that mean that the Cards are going to tell him all their dirty secrets &/or need his blessing in order to get the fans excited about their latest transaction?

I guess I'm failing to see what your beef with Mutombo is. Nothing in your last sentence of this post has any sort of basis in fact.

FanInAZ
05-23-2016, 08:33 PM
I guess I'm failing to see what your beef with Mutombo is. Nothing in your last sentence of this post has any sort of basis in fact.

My beef isn't with him; it’s with the conspiracy theorists trying to whip up another lynch mob based on non-sense.

Poet
07-22-2020, 09:33 AM
It really is nonsense.

Well said. I am so happy that you are here and look forward to your contributions.