PDA

View Full Version : Ring of Fame- 2016

GEM
05-17-2016, 05:26 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-Ring-of-Fame-Class-of-2016-Jason-Elam-Simon-Fletcher-and-John-Lynch/8a6c9cd7-7f19-46e1-b41a-07d1bf5dc57b

Jason Elam, Simon Fletcher, and John Lynch.

Great class, but I think Ed McCaffrey should be there before Lynch. Loved Lynch, but he was a liability in coverage by the time he came to Denver. His rep was built in Tampa Bay. Eddie Mac and his 2 SB wins should be up on that ring.

Dapper Dan
05-17-2016, 05:28 PM
I'm surprised Eddie isn't already there.

GEM
05-17-2016, 05:29 PM
I'm surprised Eddie isn't already there.

Right!

GEM
05-17-2016, 05:29 PM
Surprised Fletcher wasn't put in awhile ago. Still holds the sack record in Denver and was a career Bronco.

Dapper Dan
05-17-2016, 05:36 PM
Since Lynch is going in I'll share one of my favorite sports photos of all time.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-17-2016, 05:54 PM
Surprised Fletcher wasn't put in awhile ago. Still holds the sack record in Denver and was a career Bronco.

That's what I was thinking.

VonDoom
05-17-2016, 06:07 PM
That Ring of Fame is getting pretty crowded. I like all these guys, though. I'm surprised Eddie isn't in yet. I hadn't even thought about it until I was reading this thread

atwater27
05-17-2016, 06:37 PM
Simon most definitely deserves it. Its about time one of the very best defensive players in our history is honored. I love Lynch but I think McCaffrey, Trevor Pryce and Al Wilson deserve it more. As Broncos.

The Glue Factory
05-17-2016, 07:01 PM
Simon most definitely deserves it. Its about time one of the very best defensive players in our history is honored. I love Lynch but I think McCaffrey, Trevor Pryce and Al Wilson deserve it more. As Broncos.

I agree about Lynch. I don't think he had a significant contribution to the organization. Seems like the powers that be considered his outside charitable work while he was an active Bronco. Seems like it's getting easier to get in the Bronco ROF.

Dapper Dan
05-17-2016, 07:22 PM
I think Lynch made it to the Pro Bowl every season in Denver.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-17-2016, 09:26 PM

Mostly because of his name. He was a huge liability in coverage.

BroncoWave
05-17-2016, 09:35 PM
As if there was any debate Peyton would be in the rof, this confirms it since Lynch got in. Takes away the argument of not making your name as a Bronco.

VonDoom
05-17-2016, 09:45 PM
As if there was any debate Peyton would be in the rof, this confirms it since Lynch got in. Takes away the argument of not making your name as a Bronco.

Was thinking the same thing. I'm not sure if there even was a debate at this point, but it's moot now. Peyton will get in as soon as he is eligible.

VonDoom
05-17-2016, 09:47 PM
Make room. Three new bronze faces will become fixtures outside Sports Authority Field later this year. On Tuesday, placekicker Jason Elam (1993-2007), outside linebacker/defensive end Simon Fletcher (1985-95) and safety John Lynch (2004-07) were voted in by the Broncos' selection committee as the newest members of the team's Ring of Fame.

The induction ceremony will be held during halftime of a to-be-determined Broncos home game this season.

"Great players should be honored," said Joe Ellis, the Broncos' president, CEO and one of six members on the selection committee. "And these three gentlemen are certainly worthy.

The Ring of Fame, which owner Pat Bowlen established in 1984, now includes 31 members. Players are eligible five years after their final NFL season, and this year marks the fifth time three or more have been selected

Some good quotes in here from the inductees as well:

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29904552/jason-elam-simon-fletcher-john-lynch-elected-broncos

Dapper Dan
05-17-2016, 09:52 PM
Mostly because of his name. He was a huge liability in coverage.

As is every hard hitting safety I've watched. TJ Ward is a liability in coverage.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-17-2016, 10:21 PM
As is every hard hitting safety I've watched. TJ Ward is a liability in coverage.

Apples and oranges my friend, Lynch had nowhere near the coverage skills Ward does, not even in his prime.

tomjonesrocks
05-17-2016, 10:24 PM
Agreeing with most here Lynch should not be in with all the great Broncos under consideration. Maybe if we were the Jags or something.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-17-2016, 10:40 PM
Agreeing with most here Lynch should not be in with all the great Broncos under consideration. Maybe if we were the Jags or something.

I'm not even sure he's the 5th best strong safety to play for the Broncos.

Simple Jaded
05-17-2016, 11:04 PM

Not really.

Dapper Dan
05-17-2016, 11:10 PM
Apples and oranges my friend, Lynch had nowhere near the coverage skills Ward does, not even in his prime.

Apples and Oranges are different colors. I think I know what you're getting at, you racist!

Dapper Dan
05-17-2016, 11:11 PM
Not really.

Yes

Simple Jaded
05-17-2016, 11:11 PM
Apples and Oranges are different colors. I think I know what you're getting at, you racist!

Hard hitting S's are rapists and criminals, it's science.

Dapper Dan
05-17-2016, 11:17 PM
Hard hitting S's are rapists and criminals, it's science.

True. Champ Bailey was a soft hitting safety.

Valar Morghulis
05-18-2016, 07:33 AM
True. Champ Bailey was a soft hitting safety.

And a damn good punt returner

The Glue Factory
05-18-2016, 08:53 AM

If memory serves a number of Broncos have been to the Pro-Bowl a majority of their career and aren't in the Ring. I just don't see why Lynch should be there aside from his voluntary charitable work while in Denver. But it's not for us to decide. It's for those unknown persons that determine whether Lynch and a significant impact on the franchise.

BroncoJoe
05-18-2016, 09:33 AM
I like Lynch, but I'm not thrilled about this. His impact on the Broncos was good, but not really significant.

GEM
05-18-2016, 10:11 AM

Big Al was on 104.3 saying the same group as you. He said Al Wilson would probably never make it because of fallings out he had with the Broncos due to his injury.

Ravage!!!
05-18-2016, 10:42 AM

I agree. I was the one thinking tht Manning should NOT be a RoF'er...but now that Lynch made it, it's a given. I can't believe that Lynch is a RoF'er...and it completely changes my view of the RoF. I have always loved Lynch as a player, and as a guy. I ROOT for the way he played, and missed his style of football on the football field. But I absolutely do NOT believe that he should be in the Denver Broncos RoF.

So although I have the highest respect for Lynch, his induction takes away from the RoF for me.

Joel
05-19-2016, 06:00 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Broncos-Ring-of-Fame-Class-of-2016-Jason-Elam-Simon-Fletcher-and-John-Lynch/8a6c9cd7-7f19-46e1-b41a-07d1bf5dc57b

Jason Elam, Simon Fletcher, and John Lynch.

Great class, but I think Ed McCaffrey should be there before Lynch. Loved Lynch, but he was a liability in coverage by the time he came to Denver. His rep was built in Tampa Bay. Eddie Mac and his 2 SB wins should be up on that ring.
Agreed, but I've always had a strong bias against safeties who are weak in coverage: A safety's not just a LB who takes a running start (Kam Chancellor notwithstanding.) It's strange that, in an era when passing's more prevalent than ever—to the point LBs THEMSELVES often make their living off coverage skills at the expense of run-stopping, many a FS is an awful centerfielder hired to stuff the occasional run.

None of that's to take anything away from Lynch; what he lacked in Denver wasn't skill but YOUTH. But that just underscores why so many people (including me) will always think of him as a Buc SB Champ first and foremost, and a Bronco second or never. He totally bought into the Broncos AS a Bronco while he was one, but that wasn't very long, and his best days were behind him by then.

McCaffrey's a great counterexample: While not his first nor even SECOND team, he devoted most of his career and ALL his best years to Broncos championships.

Nomad
05-19-2016, 09:23 PM
That Ring of Fame is getting pretty crowded. I like all these guys, though. I'm surprised Eddie isn't in yet. I hadn't even thought about it until I was reading this thread

Same here.....I thought EddieMac was already in the ROF.

All 3 picks are solid.

TXBRONC
05-20-2016, 11:31 AM
Ward is not great in coverage but not Lynch was not coverage safety by any stretch.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-20-2016, 12:55 PM
Ward is not great in coverage but not Lynch was not coverage safety by any stretch.

Have you had your coffee yet bro?

Timmy!
05-20-2016, 01:07 PM
http://www.gifcrap.com/g2data/albums/Sports/Hard%20tackle.gif

Bronco4ever
05-20-2016, 01:52 PM
Lynch was pretty close to making it to the HOF this last time. I think at least some of the intent with his selection into the ROF is to bolster his odds at the HOF and all the while strengthening the Broncos brand. We're essentially claiming him as one of our own and hopefully getting him into Canton. Certainly there are more deserving Broncos based on the merit of their play, but I can see why Lynch getting in the ROF makes a lot of sense for the franchise.

tomjonesrocks
05-20-2016, 01:56 PM
Lynch was pretty close to making it to the HOF this last time. I think at least some of the intent with his selection into the ROF is to bolster his odds at the HOF and all the while strengthening the Broncos brand. We're essentially claiming him as one of our own and hopefully getting him into Canton. Certainly there are more deserving Broncos based on the merit of their play, but I can see why Lynch getting in the ROF makes a lot of sense for the franchise.

I don't see a need for Denver to have to "claim" anyone with the litany of deserving guys already in the rafters and wait.

Bronco4ever
05-20-2016, 02:08 PM
I don't see a need for Denver to have to "claim" anyone with the litany of deserving guys already in the rafters and wait.

Lynch stands a good chance of making the HOF in the next few years. There's a big difference saying Lynch was primarily a Buc who played a few years in Denver versus making the ROF in both organizations. Again, I'm with you that based on merit of play that others are more deserving, but Lynch won't be viewed like Tony Dorsett. By "claiming" him, we are saying he was more than just a rental in his HOF career.

Dapper Dan
05-20-2016, 02:44 PM

When that was a 15 yard penalty I knew football had changed.

Timmy!
05-20-2016, 02:48 PM

It could have been 30 and I wouldn't have cared. To see Hall get lit up like that the year after he scored on the punt return that had 3 or 4 blatant non called blocks on the back was epic. I endorse Lynch for ROF.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-20-2016, 06:20 PM

The funny thing is he was so slow getting there the ball had already fallen incomplete and the receiver had stopped running, but great job lighting him up like a Christmas tree! :laugh:

Dapper Dan
05-20-2016, 06:31 PM
The funny thing is he was so slow getting there the ball had already fallen incomplete and the receiver had stopped running, but great job lighting him up like a Christmas tree! :laugh:

And no helmet contact from what I can see in the gif.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-20-2016, 06:33 PM
And no helmet contact from what I can see in the gif.

Does that means he gets brownie points for not giving him brain trauma?

Poet
05-20-2016, 07:51 PM

He gets CTE points...well maybe he doesn't....wait...what?

Dapper Dan
05-20-2016, 08:17 PM

I love brownies.

Nomad
05-20-2016, 08:33 PM

I always loved Lynch's intensity.

Joel
05-20-2016, 09:54 PM
Yet the SAD thing is the ball didn't just "fall" incomplete, it CAROMED off Lynchs hand as he lit up Hall instead of making the Int. Then again, maybe it was 4th down.

Poet
05-20-2016, 10:03 PM
Sometimes you just gotta light up a MOFO and let him know - Abe Lincoln.

Go over the middle and you get to meet Jesus - George Washington.

Talk shit get hit - John Adams

John Lynch loves America.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-20-2016, 10:09 PM

Pure freakin poetry!
:laugh:

Dapper Dan
05-20-2016, 10:22 PM

This is my house! - Andrew Jackson

Denver Native (Carol)
05-23-2016, 09:06 AM
By Mark Haas

“I was going go through my list, thinking I need to talk to someone, I need calming down, what in the world is going on? Did this really happen? And then you think you are dreaming.” – Simon Fletcher

FORT MORGAN, Colo. (CBS4) – The Denver Broncos Ring of Fame will grow to 31 members this year, with the additions of kicker Jason Elam (1993-2007), safety John Lynch (2004-07) and linebacker Simon Fletcher (1985-95).

An argument can be made that Simon Fletcher’s selection was long overdue, as he is the franchise’s all-time sack leader with 97.5 and during his career set an NFL record (now shared with DeMarcus Ware) of recording a sack in 10 straight games.

rest - plus video and pictures - Mark went to Fort Morgan to talk with Simon
http://denver.cbslocal.com/2016/05/22/former-bronco-fletcher-on-ring-of-fame-selection-did-this-really-happen/