PDA

View Full Version : Stadium District wants final say if Sports Authority sells Mile High naming rights

Denver Native (Carol)
05-11-2016, 01:53 PM
The Denver Metropolitan Football Stadium District wants first right of refusal if Sports Authority sells its Mile High Stadium naming rights in the coming bankruptcy auction.

The district on Wednesday made its first appearance in Sports Authority's Chapter 11 bankruptcy case with a limited objection to the retailer's plan to assign certain contracts, which could include the stadium naming rights. The district owns Mile High, where the Denver Broncos play.

"As MFSD's image is closely tied to the stadium, a significant portion of the contract was dedicated to describing the factors in which MFSD would evaluate any proposed new name for the stadium," attorneys wrote in the filing made in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Delaware. "It is important that MFSD continues to have the ability to approve the new name for the stadium in its reasonable discretion."

The stadium district and Sports Authority could not be immediately reached for comment. The district has been reluctant to discuss what might happen to the naming rights since Englewood-based Sports Authority filed for bankruptcy in March.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_29878511/stadium-district-wants-final-say-if-sports-authority

OrangeHoof
05-11-2016, 03:30 PM
"Democrat National Convention Field at Mile High". Maybe it can be the next organization that is forced out of business.

DenBronx
05-11-2016, 03:58 PM
Benghazi & Exposed Emails at Mile High

Joel
05-11-2016, 04:22 PM
Meddling government: Why can't the citizens of the city and county of Denver stay the HELL out of Sports Authoritys PRIVATE business? These plebes and their sense of entitlement; you'd think THEY owned part of the stadium or something. :rolleyes: When will people learn that businesses like Sports Authority wouldn't be where they are now if the rabbles regulations stood in their way?

#DenverDidn'tBuildMileHigh,MerelyPaidforIt

Davii
05-11-2016, 06:30 PM
We're not in P&R guys

FanInAZ
05-11-2016, 09:26 PM
We're not in P&R guys

IMO, this thread should've been started in P&R in the 1st place.

tomjonesrocks
05-11-2016, 09:33 PM
Benghazi & Exposed Emails at Mile High

It sounds like local Republicans voted in unison they didn't want to force Mile High on the naming rights.

So more like "Chase Bank Field - home of Free Checking".

Joel
05-11-2016, 09:36 PM
IMO, this thread should've been started in P&R in the 1st place.
Sadly seems that way; I dunno why discussions of the stadiums Once and Future Name keep immediately becoming political, but it's very... interesting....

It sounds like local Republicans voted in unison they didn't want to force Mile High on the naming rights.

So more like "Chase Bank Field - home of Free Checking".
That's what makes it an interesting study in politics and principle: The fact the stadium's a public work, not private enterprise, but RENTED a private enterprise the privilege of naming the stadium as advertising. Evidently a majority of legislators felt and feels taxpayers get a better return on their investment by auctioning off naming rights than by naming the stadium themselves. There's an argument for that; did Denver residents get a tax refund when they sold the naming rights?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-11-2016, 10:36 PM
We're not in P&R guys

We're not in Kansas either Davii!

Dapper Dan
05-12-2016, 03:07 AM
It'll always be Invesco Field at Mile High to me.

nevcraw
05-12-2016, 09:08 PM
It's the house the Elway built. In fact all of Denver has to thank the man from pulling it out cow town with his play. Without Elway Denver would be the crappy city you land in, on your way to the ski areas.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-12-2016, 09:34 PM
It's the house the Elway built. In fact all of Denver has to thank the man from pulling it out cow town with his play. Without Elway Denver would be the crappy city you land in, on your way to the ski areas.

Excuse me - how long has it been since you have been to Denver???????

nevcraw
05-12-2016, 09:40 PM
Well - mid March and before that for the pats snf game. Why? It's an awesome city - I wasn't saying it's not. Just I believe that without Elway, Denver would not be the city it is, no way no how...
My family moved to Denver right before Elway got traded by the colts and my Dad still lives up in the foothills between right above Morrison.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-12-2016, 09:51 PM
This article gives Floyd Little as much credit as #7, and I love the Broncos as much as any one else, but being a native, I do not believe that it was the Broncos who have made Denver and Colorado one of the fastest growing cities/states there is.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/8/7/1611260/the-francise-an-appreciation-of

nevcraw
05-13-2016, 08:24 PM
This article gives Floyd Little as much credit as #7, and I love the Broncos as much as any one else, but being a native, I do not believe that it was the Broncos who have made Denver and Colorado one of the fastest growing cities/states there is.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/8/7/1611260/the-francise-an-appreciation-of

Oh wait - you are a native? ;-)

Denver Native (Carol)
05-16-2016, 01:53 PM
Sports Authority Inc. can't sell or transfer its Mile High Stadium naming rights or its team sponsorship without written consent, the Denver Broncos said in a bankruptcy court filing.

Like the Denver Metropolitan Football Stadium District, which owns Mile High, the Broncos hope to keep Sports Authority from auctioning off the contracts.

In a filing made late Friday, lawyers for PDB Sports Ltd., which does business as the Broncos, and Stadium Management Company LLC, which manages the stadium, said the bankrupt retailer doesn't have the team's consent to sell or assign its sponsorship agreement. The agreement includes a non-exclusive license to use the team's trademarked logo in places such as the Sports Authority website, advertising and in-store signs, as well as elements of the stadium naming rights deal.

Sports Authority's agreements with the Broncos and the Metropolitan Football Stadium District are among hundreds of contracts that could be assigned or sold in the Chapter 11 process, according to court filings.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_29898613/broncos-sports-authority-cant-sell-auction-sponsorship-rights

Magnificent Seven
05-16-2016, 03:37 PM
Let's rename it "Mile High" Stadium!

Dapper Dan
05-16-2016, 03:54 PM
Let's rename it "Mile High" Stadium!

Sponsored by the local pot shop.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-31-2016, 05:55 PM
The Denver Broncos now want to sever their sponsorship agreement with the soon-to-be defunct Sports Authority.

The bankrupt sporting goods retailer failed to make quarterly payments to the team, breaching its contract with the Super Bowl champs, attorneys for the Broncos wrote in a motion filed Friday with the U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Delaware.

“Yet, because of the protections afforded by the bankruptcy code, (Sports Authority) continues to enjoy exclusive sponsorship rights as provided for in the sponsorship agreement despite its failure to make two quarterly payments totaling $2,105,945.00,” the Broncos said in the filing.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/2016/05/31/broncos-want-to-nix-sports-authority-agreement/