PDA

View Full Version : Broncos awarded FB Toben Opurum off waivers from Saints

Denver Native (Carol)
05-10-2016, 09:51 PM
Gary Kubiak got his wish. The Broncos' coach said in March that he hoped to bring on a couple of fullbacks for training camp, and less than two weeks after drafting one, the team welcomed a second.

The Broncos were awarded fourth-year fullback Toben Opurum off waivers from the Saints. To clear a spot on the 90-man roster, the team waived undrafted tight end Anthony Norris.

Opurum — a 6-foot-1, 250-pound Kansas product — was a two-time team captain for the Jayhawks at linebacker before switching to fullback in the NFL. He joined the Chiefs' practice squad as a college free agent in 2013 and went on to spend time on the practice squads with the Texans (2014) and Saints (2014-15), with whom he played two games.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29874411/broncos-awarded-fb-toben-opurum-off-waivers-from-saints

OrangeHoof
05-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Sounds like he should come in a pill or a capsule.

dogfish
05-10-2016, 11:36 PM
a very reliable source told me we want to run the ball this year. . .

Joel
05-10-2016, 11:38 PM
Interesting; don't teams have to wait for everyone with a worse record to pass before they claim a guy off waivers? So we added a guy literally EVERYONE declined?

I realize FBs are probably the #1 least desired position now, but there ARE still other teams that want them. Camolina, for example; even the defending NFC champs could've taken him before we did. So I'd love to see him work out, but won't get my hopes up much.

keithbishop
05-11-2016, 12:28 AM
Opurum is a good bet to be a star.
I followed him with the Jayhawks.
He ran a 4.3 40, high jumped 11' and the Hawks averaged 12 yards per carry in his only start at FB, in the Orange Bowl.

Timmy!
05-11-2016, 05:52 AM
Moar FB plz

TXBRONC
05-11-2016, 05:54 AM
a very reliable source told me we want to run the ball this year. . .

I'm not sure I trust your source Dog.

The Glue Factory
05-11-2016, 09:19 AM
Interesting; don't teams have to wait for everyone with a worse record to pass before they claim a guy off waivers? So we added a guy literally EVERYONE declined?

I realize FBs are probably the #1 least desired position now, but there ARE still other teams that want them. Camolina, for example; even the defending NFC champs could've taken him before we did. So I'd love to see him work out, but won't get my hopes up much.

Of all the teams in the NFL how many of them use FBs? Of THOSE teams how many felt they needed to add to their FB core? None. But that doesn't mean this guy is a raging dumpster fire at FB.

Davii
05-11-2016, 10:06 AM

There is a 24 hour period where teams can put in a waiver claim if they so choose. If multiple teams submit a claim then it goes to the first team in the waiver order, which we would be last. It doesn't mean anyone "declined", just that they didn't submit a claim, very different.

If you are awarded a claim I believe you go to the back of the order for the next waiver, so if you think there will be better players on the wire why lose your spot if FB isn't a position of need?

Rick
05-11-2016, 10:33 AM

Don't think there is much to get hopes up or down about. Probably just a guy to come in and compete a bit with our rookie. Not like they just said meet your new Howard Griffith, just a camp body.

silkamilkamonico
05-11-2016, 11:55 AM
Toben's not really a true blocking FB. He went to Kansas as a RB and converted during his college career, and he's more of a power RB than a blocking FB. He might be an interesting package player, but I really don't see him in a Howard Griffith type role or even a majority blocking role. Pretty good reason no other team wanted him.

The Glue Factory
05-11-2016, 12:22 PM
Toben's not really a true blocking FB. He went to Kansas as a RB and converted during his college career, and he's more of a power RB than a blocking FB. He might be an interesting package player, but I really don't see him in a Howard Griffith type role or even a majority blocking role. Pretty good reason no other team wanted him.

Power RB you say? Sure would be nice to have someone in the backfield that can gain 3 feet from goal to go at the 1 while half the defense is hanging from his back, waist and ankles.

NightTerror218
05-11-2016, 01:41 PM
Of all the teams in the NFL how many of them use FBs? Of THOSE teams how many felt they needed to add to their FB core? None. But that doesn't mean this guy is a raging dumpster fire at FB.

Most teams have FBs. All the top ruahing offenses have them. Go take a look. I wrote out all the teams but my post did not post. There are 26 FB who make over vet minimum. It is not a high priced position but good running teams have them.

slim
05-11-2016, 01:46 PM

Howard Griffith wasn't a FB in college either.

The Glue Factory
05-11-2016, 03:18 PM
Most teams have FBs. All the top ruahing offenses have them. Go take a look. I wrote out all the teams but my post did not post. There are 26 FB who make over vet minimum. It is not a high priced position but good running teams have them.

I thought my comment covered that possibility. :D

TXBRONC
05-11-2016, 03:42 PM
Power RB you say? Sure would be nice to have someone in the backfield that can gain 3 feet from goal to go at the 1 while half the defense is hanging from his back, waist and ankles.

This is why we have Hillman.

Joel
05-11-2016, 05:44 PM
There is a 24 hour period where teams can put in a waiver claim if they so choose. If multiple teams submit a claim then it goes to the first team in the waiver order, which we would be last. It doesn't mean anyone "declined", just that they didn't submit a claim, very different.
They didn't DECLINE, just... chose not to exercise their right? Did the meaning of "decline" change recently? :confused:

If you are awarded a claim I believe you go to the back of the order for the next waiver, so if you think there will be better players on the wire why lose your spot if FB isn't a position of need?
Fair point; guess Elway and Kubiak decided we're stacked everywhere, or nothing but garbage was likely to be released soon.

Davii
05-11-2016, 05:50 PM
They didn't DECLINE, just... chose not to exercise their right? Did the meaning of "decline" change recently? :confused:

Fair point; guess Elway and Kubiak decided we're stacked everywhere, or nothing but garbage was likely to be released soon.

Or, if we got awarded we move to last from last... not much to lose there to make sure he didn't hit FA.

The Glue Factory
05-11-2016, 05:57 PM
This is why we have Hillman.

uuuuuhhhhhh... yeah :beer:

Joel
05-11-2016, 06:01 PM
Or, if we got awarded we move to last from last... not much to lose there to make sure he didn't hit FA.
Also a good point; almost seems like gaming the system. I mean, why not grab everyone until we hit the OTA limit, if there's nothing to lose.

The Glue Factory
05-11-2016, 06:06 PM
Also a good point; almost seems like gaming the system. I mean, why not grab everyone until we hit the OTA limit, if there's nothing to lose.

Did you read the OP?

To clear a spot on the 90-man roster, the team waived undrafted tight end Anthony Norris.

silkamilkamonico
05-11-2016, 06:19 PM
Howard Griffith wasn't a FB in college either.

Griffith developed into one of the league's top blocking FB's. Toben is still learning the basics of blocking. Not saying he couldn't be, but he didn't block at all in college, and basically made thw switch when he got to the NFL to try and stay on a team. The primary reason he didn't stick in New Orleans was because he still hasn't figured out the basic technique of blocking, let alone how to be a good one.

Joel
05-11-2016, 06:30 PM
Did you read the OP?
So grab everyone till we hit the limit, then KEEP grabbing and dumping UDFAs to make room. Meh; dumping a UDFA for a waiver guy (or vice versa) isn't likely to make a huge difference either way, and there's not much any of us can DO about it either way, so I'll just wait to see what happens.

NightTerror218
05-11-2016, 09:39 PM
We know elway lies competition at all positions heading into TC. Makes sense to have 2 FBs for competition.

Dapper Dan
05-12-2016, 05:54 AM
Meh. I don't think he's a blue collar guy.

The Glue Factory
05-12-2016, 09:15 AM
So grab everyone till we hit the limit, then KEEP grabbing and dumping UDFAs to make room. Meh; dumping a UDFA for a waiver guy (or vice versa) isn't likely to make a huge difference either way, and there's not much any of us can DO about it either way, so I'll just wait to see what happens.

I agree with your conclusion. Just pointing out that "we" were at the player limit before this acquisition. I know the offseason is fast paced, but please try to keep up! :D

Joel
05-12-2016, 12:14 PM
I agree with your conclusion. Just pointing out that "we" were at the player limit before this acquisition. I know the offseason is fast paced, but please try to keep up! :D
Meh. It took me a while to realize, and habits are hard to break, but I finally clicked to the reality that nearly all the final UDFAs are no more than camp fodder it's a waste of time to study at length. If you're at the bottom of the depth chart in April and May, you probably won't even be ON it in August, much less September. And the guys who have the talent and drive to be the exceptions can be caught up with then.

dogfish
05-12-2016, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure I trust your source Dog.

my sources are impeccable, TX. . . :D

broncofaninfla
05-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Looks like the debate is a non issue, he failed the physical and was released.

dogfish
05-12-2016, 04:52 PM

i wonder if the physical for fullbacks includes literally running them into a wall. . .

Dapper Dan
05-12-2016, 11:22 PM
Meh. I don't think he's a blue collar guy.

Called it.