PDA

View Full Version : Rookie mini-camp notes / pressers

VonDoom
05-06-2016, 01:04 PM
https://twitter.com/Broncos/status/728633390165954560

Minicamp roster:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/5/6/11607876/denver-broncos-release-rookie-minicamp-roster

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 47m47 minutes ago

RB Devontae Booker isn't at #Broncos minicamp. He's in Utah for his commencement. He flies in tonight and will be at practice tomorrow.

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 46m46 minutes ago

Paxton Lynch is doing the switch with Booker. He's headed to Memphis after #Broncos minicamp today for his commencement tomorrow.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 56m56 minutes ago

So far in the portion of rookie minicamp open to media, Paxton Lynch has only taken snaps under center.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 1h1 hour ago

I know you guys have missed my glove updates, so here you go: Broncos rookie QB Paxton Lynch is wearing one on his left hand.

VonDoom
05-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Kubiak:

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3m3 minutes ago

#Broncos Kubiak on Lynch "I believe he will make up ground quickly". But admitted that No huddle in college creates learning curve

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 2m2 minutes ago

Kubiak on Paxton Lynch: "This will be a big 5 or 6 weeks for him. We got a long ways to go." But he believes "he'll make up ground quickly."

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1m1 minute ago

#Broncos Coach Gary Kubiak said with rookies this weekend it's "a little bit of football and a lot about life" in advance of vets practice

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 2m2 minutes ago

Today is Paxton Lynch's only practice of rookie camp, he's heading to Memphis for graduation. Kubiak joked team will run wishbone on Sat.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 6s6 seconds ago

#Broncos Kubiak said not placing limitations on Lynch. Wants competition

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 6m6 minutes ago

Kubiak says the key emphasis this weekend is learning "how to be a Bronco" ... Scaled back on-field work, just jog-through tempo.

VonDoom
05-06-2016, 01:40 PM
Connor McGovern:

#Broncos McGovern has good friend on team in Shane Ray. They redshirted together at mizzou. Is practicing at guard

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 1m1 minute ago

Connor McGovern (@McGovenator60) said he feels his best chance for success in the NFL is moving inside to guard.

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 11m11 minutes ago

McGovern doesn't think the college spread zone they ran at Mizzou is that different than #Broncos zone scheme. Expects smooth transition.

VonDoom
05-06-2016, 01:41 PM
Paxton Lynch:

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 5m5 minutes ago

#broncos Paxton Lynch said tried left handed glove just to try it #memphis coach preferred "no accessories"

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 3m3 minutes ago

Lynch on minicamp today: "I knew what was going on, but I wasn't picking it up as quick as I'd like. That'll come with time."

Lynch said he thought he threw it "decent" today.

Lynch is getting his sports management degree tomorrow.

VonDoom
05-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Justin Simmons:

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 7m7 minutes ago

Justin Simmons (@jsimms1119) said it meant a lot that @BossWard43 spoke to the DBs before minicamp today.

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 3m3 minutes ago

Simmons said it's only positives to work in great DB group. He expects himself and sixth-round pick Will Parks to push each other.

Joel
05-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 47m47 minutes ago

RB Devontae Booker isn't at #Broncos minicamp. He's in Utah for his commencement. He flies in tonight and will be at practice tomorrow.

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 46m46 minutes ago

Paxton Lynch is doing the switch with Booker. He's headed to Memphis after #Broncos minicamp today for his commencement tomorrow.
Wait, these losers GRADUATED?! And you call yourselves pro athletes.... :tsk:

#Broncos Coach Gary Kubiak said with rookies this weekend it's "a little bit of football and a lot about life" in advance of vets practice
Bear Bryant took his first Aggie team to Junction for camp; apparently our Aggie took his second Broncos team to the Chattahoochee. ;)

NightTerror218
05-06-2016, 03:01 PM
I like Lynch's tight arm movement and quick release. Faster then Oz but not sure how it compares to other starting QBs. Just saying it looks quick and compact.

BroncoJoe
05-06-2016, 03:15 PM
Thanks for posting, VD.

G_Money
05-06-2016, 03:19 PM
I like Lynch's tight arm movement and quick release. Faster then Oz but not sure how it compares to other starting QBs. Just saying it looks quick and compact.

For his height it's pretty damn good. He's got a bit of wind up but gets his hand off the ball fast. And he releases higher than Oz so those batted balls from Oz throwing from his ear hole and aiming down all the time should be reduced too.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-06-2016, 03:38 PM
For his height it's pretty damn good. He's got a bit of wind up but gets his hand off the ball fast. And he releases higher than Oz so those batted balls from Oz throwing from his ear hole and aiming down all the time should be reduced too.

He had exceptional feet, which is rare for his height.

NightTerror218
05-06-2016, 06:23 PM
He had exceptional feet, which is rare for his height.

Guy looks agile, seems quick for a guy his size. Oz seems slow and odd because of size. Looking at lynch he moves like a guy half his size.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-06-2016, 06:32 PM
Guy looks agile, seems quick for a guy his size. Oz seems slow and odd because of size. Looking at lynch he moves like a guy half his size.

Oz's feet were a bit of a disappointment to me. I think I expected him to be quicker because he played basketball.

NightTerror218
05-06-2016, 06:46 PM
I think it is awesome the Ward was at the rookie practice and spome to the defenders before it started.

People may not agree with me but Ward brings that spark to the defense with his intensity and leadership. Very important cog to defense. He is not our best DB but he is a swiss army knife for Philips.

TXBRONC
05-06-2016, 07:29 PM

So he looks like a guy who is 3' 3.5"? :D

BroncoBuckeye73
05-06-2016, 08:15 PM
My kid was pretty quick when he was that tall Tx so thats a bonus

G_Money
05-06-2016, 08:51 PM

Ya. Fluidly mobile for his height, which is rare. His combine figures were a close match for Joey Bosa, even as far as the 3-cone drill. He's not Michael Vick... but he ain't built like that tiny dude either. He and Wentz had a near-draw in combine performance, too. If you wanted a mobile QB with a big arm who still likes to throw downfield rather than run at the first sign of trouble, you could do a lot worse than Lynch.

tomjonesrocks
05-06-2016, 09:02 PM
My kid was pretty quick when he was that tall Tx so thats a bonus

Vettes Plus?

dogfish
05-06-2016, 09:17 PM
So he looks like a guy who is 3' 3.5"? :D

i certainly hope he moves better than MO!

Dzone
05-06-2016, 10:26 PM
Osweiller can only dream of having Paxtons athleticism. Night and day difference.

TXBRONC
05-06-2016, 11:48 PM
i certainly hope he moves better than MO!

Me too!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-07-2016, 12:01 AM
You guys need to raise your expectations.

WARHORSE
05-07-2016, 06:58 AM
All I can say is so far, so good. I like what Im seeing and liked the interview with McGovern.

TXBRONC
05-07-2016, 11:38 AM
You guys need to raise your expectations.

I do have high expectations.

underrated29
05-07-2016, 11:49 AM
Ya. Fluidly mobile for his height, which is rare. His combine figures were a close match for Joey Bosa, even as far as the 3-cone drill. He's not Michael Vick... but he ain't built like that tiny dude either. He and Wentz had a near-draw in combine performance, too. If you wanted a mobile QB with a big arm who still likes to throw downfield rather than run at the first sign of trouble, you could do a lot worse than Lynch.

This is my biggest concern with him. He never did it. They say it was more scheme than anything, but I have solid reservations about it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
05-07-2016, 12:22 PM
I do have high expectations.

"More athletic than Mo" does not constitute high expectations. :D

TXBRONC
05-07-2016, 12:53 PM
"More athletic than Mo" does not constitute high expectations. :D

:lol: That's cold man. Ice cold.

VonDoom
05-07-2016, 01:15 PM
Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 28m28 minutes ago

A rainy Saturday practice for #Broncos rookies today, UDFA to watch Kyle Peko, DT, Oregon State. sleeper for 53-man roster IMO.

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 24m24 minutes ago

fan favorite Jordan Taylor must shine as a WR, not a teams guy & will be hard pressed to beat out Latimer, Fowler, Norwood IMO #Broncos

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 24m24 minutes ago

remember that with a real fullback (Janovich) and a TE-heavy Kubiak system, should only be 5 roster spots for WRs with #Broncos

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 22m22 minutes ago

UDFA for #Broncos who could push Jordan Norwood for return-man duties is WR Bralon Addison from Oregon, instant explosion, quickness, agile

VonDoom
05-07-2016, 01:16 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 19m19 minutes ago

Rick Dennison, on setting his lineup: "We're going to play with the best 11. We don't care who they are, where they came from."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 19m19 minutes ago

Rick Dennison: "We played with a couple of young guys last year ... If they (rookies) are ready to go, we'll get them out there."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 17m17 minutes ago

Dennison: Janovich "gives us more options ... there's a whole set of plays we can run w/ 2 backs we didn't run very much last year."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 14m14 minutes ago

Dennison, on moving Sambrailo to guard: "We have a lot of players, & there's a lot of versatility out there ... we'll find the best 5."

VonDoom
05-07-2016, 01:17 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 13m13 minutes ago

Phillips: Gotsis "seems very bright ... we think he's got potential." Both drafted safeties "are very athletic ... great ball skills."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 12m12 minutes ago

Phillips: "The way we pick safeties, it's guys that are versatile."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 12m12 minutes ago

Phillips: Gotsis has "very good instincts ... he's a brute on the field; he's very physical."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 11m11 minutes ago

Phillips says he expects Gotsis to come in and help this year.

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 12m12 minutes ago

Wade Phillips on @gotsis96's quick rise in American football: "It's something you don't normally see, and that's what we liked about him."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 10m10 minutes ago

Phillips says that if Gotsis takes some time to get up to speed, Vance Walker & Jared Crick can fill in.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 9m9 minutes ago

Phillips says he wants the defense to continue its improvement on third downs from the regular season to the playoffs.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 8m8 minutes ago

Phillips: "The guys that have been here (returning practice-squad players) they're way ahead of everybody else (at rookie camp)."

VonDoom
05-07-2016, 01:18 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 7m7 minutes ago

DeCamillis says what he wants to see from the new long snappers is not only their snapping ability, but the ability to protect on FG/punt.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 6m6 minutes ago

DeCamillis cites Khalif Raymond and Bralon Addison as two possibilities on returns. "We've got some competition back there."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 6m6 minutes ago

Joe DeCamillis expects a "heck of a competition" between rookie punter Riley Dixon and veteran Britton Colquitt.

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 5m5 minutes ago Colorado, USA

Emphasized Colquitt's postseason success after receiving criticism earlier in the year.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 5m5 minutes ago

In the wake of Bruton's departure, DeCamillis expects Kayvon Webster, Todd Davis & Cody Latimer to be the special-teams leaders.

VonDoom
05-07-2016, 02:49 PM
Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 1h1 hour ago Colorado, USA

.@gotsis96 said he's day-to-day with his recovery (knee). No set return date. Has been an observer at rookie camp.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 1h1 hour ago

Adam Gostis: "Everyone here does an amazing job of looking after us players and making sure we're making the right decisions."

Denver Broncos ‏@Broncos 1h1 hour ago

#Broncos rookies learning, “It’s more than just being a football player.” - @gotsis96

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 1h1 hour ago Colorado, USA

Riley Dixon: "I got a little fire inside me. I'm not just a deadhead who runs out there & kicks & runs off the field. I have emotions, too."

Riley Dixon said at Syracuse, he was coached to work on hang time and placement.

Riley Dixon, on punting in Colorado: "It's definitely windy out here, I know that."

Riley Dixon: "I've always looked up to Britton [Colquitt] as a punter."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 56m56 minutes ago Colorado, USA

Devontae Booker: "I think they needed a leash to put on me to hold me back." (still recovering from knee surgery.)

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 54m54 minutes ago Colorado, USA

Booker: "I've been overlooked pretty much my whole career. ... The chip gets even bigger, and is probably the biggest it's ever been now."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 54m54 minutes ago

Devontae Booker says he wants to "make the 31 teams that passed up on me pay."

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 53m53 minutes ago

Booker said he can do all the cuts and run, but coaches are holding him back to be careful. He jokes "I'll play by their rules."

NightTerror218
05-07-2016, 09:50 PM
Peko and gostis are two strong guys. They could be a good combi to push eathother as rookies.

As a homer i am pylling for peko. Great guy and leader. Watched him play at oregon state. About they only defensive player who made plays. Big Samoan guy.

TXBRONC
05-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Peko and gostis are two strong guys. They could be a good combi to push eathother as rookies.

As a homer i am pylling for peko. Great guy and leader. Watched him play at oregon state. About they only defensive player who made plays. Big Samoan guy.

Is Peko related to the Peko who.plays for the Bengals?

VonDoom
05-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Is Peko related to the Peko who.plays for the Bengals?

I believe they're cousins

Joel
05-08-2016, 08:20 PM
I'd checked their Wikipedia pages right after we signed Kyle, but it only lists immediate family, so ya'll prompted me to dig (slightly) deeper now: Kyle Pekos Oregon State profile (http://www.osubeavers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209612632) says he's the cousin of Bengals rotational NT Damato Peko, whose older brother Tupe was also a backup G for half a dozen NFL teams.

TXBRONC
05-09-2016, 07:57 AM
I believe they're cousins

Ok thank, Doom.

G_Money
05-09-2016, 09:09 AM
This is my biggest concern with him. He never did it. They say it was more scheme than anything, but I have solid reservations about it.

LOL well that's true. He didn't throw bombs downfield in games because they didn't have the personnel for it. He definitely scrambled to buy time to pass rather than run downfield at the first sign of trouble though. If his accuracy is only good out to 20 yards and he's an Alex Smith who gets the ball there faster because of a strong arm, there are worse things.

Kubiak's offense is designed to grind people up at the line until the defense leans one way, then throw bombs on bootlegs the other way for back-breaking gains. We'll see if Lynch can hit those 3 or 4 plays a game where he's trying to throw deep posts. I think he can. I'm more worried about him being able to throw people open instead of just hitting open targets, but that's a skill I worry about with most college players.

underrated29
05-09-2016, 10:25 AM
LOL well that's true. He didn't throw bombs downfield in games because they didn't have the personnel for it. He definitely scrambled to buy time to pass rather than run downfield at the first sign of trouble though. If his accuracy is only good out to 20 yards and he's an Alex Smith who gets the ball there faster because of a strong arm, there are worse things.

Kubiak's offense is designed to grind people up at the line until the defense leans one way, then throw bombs on bootlegs the other way for back-breaking gains. We'll see if Lynch can hit those 3 or 4 plays a game where he's trying to throw deep posts. I think he can. I'm more worried about him being able to throw people open instead of just hitting open targets, but that's a skill I worry about with most college players.

That was my favorite trait of connor cook. Which is why I liked him better.

dogfish
05-09-2016, 11:26 AM

shut up and be happy we didn't draft dak. . . :heh:

underrated29
05-09-2016, 11:43 AM
The girls wasted a 4th on him....lololololololol

Gotta love dallas

G_Money
05-09-2016, 11:45 AM

Sure - but Cook fell because of fears he might have contracted JayCutleritis, the possibly incurable condition of being a giant dick.

It's probably easier to teach a coachable kid like Lynch to get to Cook's passing level than to teach Cook not to be a peniswrinkle (if indeed that's the case). Because he was taken by the Raiders, I feel pretty confident that Cook has a large side of douchebag in him.

I'm happy with Lynch. If Kubiak could get that doorknob Schaub to be a decent QB for a few years, he can probably get some really good mileage out of the raw specimen that is Lynch.

silkamilkamonico
05-09-2016, 11:57 AM
Sure - but Cook fell because of fears he might have contracted JayCutleritis, the possibly incurable condition of being a giant dick.

It's probably easier to teach a coachable kid like Lynch to get to Cook's passing level than to teach Cook not to be a peniswrinkle (if indeed that's the case). Because he was taken by the Raiders, I feel pretty confident that Cook has a large side of douchebag in him.

I'm happy with Lynch. If Kubiak could get that doorknob Schaub to be a decent QB for a few years, he can probably get some really good mileage out of the raw specimen that is Lynch.

Cook's only positive that his own coaches say about him is "he won a hell of a lot of games for them" in a program that's what a lot of games period, and currently has 4 QB's that have played in the regular season the last 2 years. Their big win this year was with the backup and the 3rd string QB, and in their conference championship they did everything they could to keep the game away from his arm. WHat he did (or didn't do) against Alabama goes without saying.The only NFL team that liked him enough to draft him, drafted him to compete for the backup QB position.

Cook is just not a good QB.

Joel
05-09-2016, 07:10 PM

Don't forget Griese: How many people recall Brian Grieses Pro Bowl? The problem is even Kubiaks smoke and mirrors can only mask a mediocre QBs weaknesses so long before everyone has enough tape to spot them, sell out on stopping whatever tricks Kubiak used to make him look decent, and force him to do the many things he can't. It didn't happen with legit talents like Young and Elway, but Griese, Plummer and Schaub each made Pro Bowls only to promptly fall of a cliff.

TXBRONC
05-09-2016, 08:06 PM

I'm glad Denver took the guy with the higher ceiling and the better arm.