PDA

View Full Version : In wake of Jeff Heuerman's injury last season, Broncos alter rookie camp

Denver Native (Carol)
05-06-2016, 11:07 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Almost a year ago to the day, a somewhat sullen Gary Kubiak stepped to the podium and revealed tight end Jeff Heuerman would miss his first NFL season because of a torn ACL. Heuerman suffered the injury in the Broncos' rookie minicamp.

At the time, Kubiak said “I feel terrible for Jeff’’ and used the phrase “unfortunate situation’’ to describe Heuerman’s injury. Iin the wake of that injury, as well as the season-ending injury Jacksonville Jaguars defensive end Dante Fowler Jr. suffered in his rookie minicamp last year, things have changed.

“I think everybody’s taken a hard look at that and we have too," Kubiak said.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/20262/in-the-wake-of-jeff-heuermans-injury-in-15-broncos-go-with-new-look-rookie-minicamp

TXBRONC
05-06-2016, 11:37 AM
rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/20262/in-the-wake-of-jeff-heuermans-injury-in-15-broncos-go-with-new-look-rookie-minicamp

I think this good idea but mental repetitions are just not quite the same as running a play.

G_Money
05-06-2016, 12:07 PM
I think this good idea but mental repetitions are just not quite the same as running a play.

It's 3 days and they don't know the offense yet. Mental reps and getting up to speed with the coaching staff are more important. Several teams have gone this way and we'll see how many more follow suit. Nothing says that rookies are getting injured only because of the sudden increase in football activity after several months of intense training for the combine, but it probably doesn't help matters. Give their bodies a break and ease them back in over OTAs.

Training for the combine is more rigorous than ever. Players don't have to get worked into shape, but rookies do need to understand what you want them to do. I'm curious to see how this plays out for the kids.

TXBRONC
05-06-2016, 12:17 PM
It's 3 days and they don't know the offense yet. Mental reps and getting up to speed with the coaching staff are more important. Several teams have gone this way and we'll see how many more follow suit. Nothing says that rookies are getting injured only because of the sudden increase in football activity after several months of intense training for the combine, but it probably doesn't help matters. Give their bodies a break and ease them back in over OTAs.

Training for the combine is more rigorous than ever. Players don't have to get worked into shape, but rookies do need to understand what you want them to do. I'm curious to see how this plays out for the kids.

As I said, I think this is good idea.