PDA

View Full Version : Something special about Paxton Lynch

dogfish
04-30-2016, 03:35 AM
i just realized that we haven't really talked about this, and i haven't heard any of the talking heads mention it, either. . . but this is the first time that elway has taken an offensive player with his first pick of the draft. . . and he moved up to do it. . . you could call it a desperation move--IF he wasn't the most cold-blooded high stakes poker player in the business. . . ask DRC about that shit. . . as it is, we all know that for better or worse, the duke is a serious man. . . he has one thing on his mind, and it sure as shit isn't placating the media or the fans. . . i have no doubt he would roll with sanchez and lose no sleep rather than pass up quality defensive talent for a stopgap. . . the fact that he spent both of our day two picks to reinforce the D shows you that he hasn't lost sight of what got us where we are. . .

nah. . . he obviously thinks lynch can be the real deal. . . your move, paxton-- don't F it up!

:defense:

Dzone
04-30-2016, 06:33 AM
Dynasty!

atwater27
04-30-2016, 06:46 AM
My New England friends have been giving me crap about Sanchez and Osweiler, I keep on telling them Brock was never worth that kind of coin, Sanchez will play better than 2015 Manning, and Elway has a plan. a couple of them were convinced the Pats were going to get Lynch and when Denver did I reminded them of that plan. So naturally they went back to crying in their beers about #freebrady and #fire/torture/kill Goodell and his whole family. worst fans in the world.

TXBRONC
04-30-2016, 07:18 AM
My New England friends have been giving me crap about Sanchez and Osweiler, I keep on telling them Brock was never worth that kind of coin, Sanchez will play better than 2015 Manning, and Elway has a plan. a couple of them were convinced the Pats were going to get Lynch and when Denver did I reminded them of that plan. So naturally they went back to crying in their beers about #freebrady and #fire/torture/kill Goodell and his whole family. worst fans in the world.

Atty, you hang out with some unseemly people. :tsk:

That aside, I'm little surprised there are any New England fans are not on the Jimmy Grapello circle jerk train.

slim
04-30-2016, 11:52 AM
i just realized that we haven't really talked about this, and i haven't heard any of the talking heads mention it, either. . . but this is the first time that elway has taken an offensive player with his first pick of the draft. . . and he moved up to do it. . . you could call it a desperation move--IF he wasn't the most cold-blooded high stakes poker player in the business. . . ask DRC about that shit. . . as it is, we all know that for better or worse, the duke is a serious man. . . he has one thing on his mind, and it sure as shit isn't placating the media or the fans. . . i have no doubt he would roll with sanchez and lose no sleep rather than pass up quality defensive talent for a stopgap. . . the fact that he spent both of our day two picks to reinforce the D shows you that he hasn't lost sight of what got us where we are. . .

nah. . . he obviously thinks lynch can be the real deal. . . your move, paxton-- don't F it up!

I am trying to figure out if Lynch truly was the BPA on their board or if they reached to fill a need.

Since it's Elway, I am leaning towards the former.

G_Money
04-30-2016, 12:00 PM
I am trying to figure out if Lynch truly was the BPA on their board or if they reached to fill a need.

It's Elway, like you said. He thinks Lynch is the real deal, and was obviously the only QB he really wanted in this draft. He could have stayed where he was or gotten Cook or Hackenberg later, but he wanted the mobile giant with the raw skillset and the draft fell in such a way that he could make it happen.

I hope Lynch learns faster than Oz, that's all.

Poet
04-30-2016, 12:07 PM
In terms of talent and ability, he was BPA unless you want to presume some of the injured LB's are going to revert back to prior form. Regardless, BPA does get muddied a bit when it comes to QB's.

Side note: I find what Denver traded to get Lynch to be a better deal for us than what LA or Philly gave up for their guys.

G_Money
04-30-2016, 12:16 PM
Side note: I find what Denver traded to get Lynch to be a better deal for us than what LA or Philly gave up for their guys.

Absolutely. John gave up a third rounder along with his first for the QBOTF. The Rams and Eagles mortgaged the top half of two drafts, basically.

If Lynch winds up being the best one, it'll look even better. Like the 2006 draft, except if Cutler was less of a dick and willing to learn.

Poet
04-30-2016, 12:20 PM
Absolutely. John gave up a third rounder along with his first for the QBOTF. The Rams and Eagles mortgaged the top half of two drafts, basically.

If Lynch winds up being the best one, it'll look even better. Like the 2006 draft, except if Cutler was less of a dick and willing to learn.

They gave up so much on guys who aren't can't miss prospects. Don't get me wrong, I like Wentz, and Goff does look promising, but come on.

MOtorboat
04-30-2016, 12:28 PM
They gave up so much on guys who aren't can't miss prospects. Don't get me wrong, I like Wentz, and Goff does look promising, but come on.

I have no idea what Philadelphia is doing. I understand L.A.'s moves.

MOtorboat
04-30-2016, 12:30 PM

I don't think BPA was in anyone's mind. He was taking Lynch or he was moving down judging by his comments.

G_Money
04-30-2016, 12:35 PM

Yup. I like Wentz more than Goff, but neither guy screams "I will be great!" And I like Lynch's fit in our offense better than either of the other 2 QB's fit with their teams. Goff could turn into Leinart (although his arm is stronger than Matt's) because he holds the ball too damn long. Goff's arm isn't what worries me, it's his ability to be a pocket passer for a team that likes to get its QBs killed. And though I like Wentz a little better, his comp of Bortles by a lot of people makes quite a bit of sense. I'm not sure that he can fix what's wrong with his team, even though the talent is there.

I'm still sold on the idea that the fit here plus the fact that we can still put talent around him because we didn't give up the farm for him will put Lynch in the best position to succeed - even if it will take a minute.

Poet
04-30-2016, 12:41 PM
The Rams won't be able to add a lot to their team in the immediate future through the draft. TBF, their new location might make them a more attractive location for free agents, so there is that. Any of those guys in Denver would have a higher chance to succeed than in either Philly or LA. I think Sanchez's time as a Jet is instructive because he started off well when he was on a really strong team; his descent occurred when his supporting cast evaporated.

G_Money
04-30-2016, 12:48 PM

The other thing: Elway has NEVER missed with a first round pick. He does his homework and has yet to mess it up.

Von Miller, traded back the second for Wolfe, Sly Williams, Bradley Roby, Shane Ray, and now Paxton Lynch. All of those picks except Von were back-third of the first round, too. That's All-Pro, starting DE, starting NT, best nickel in football, rotation blitzer and future starter, and QBOTF.

Can't wait to see Lynch work out for us.

Poet
04-30-2016, 12:51 PM
The other thing: Elway has NEVER missed with a first round pick. He does his homework and has yet to mess it up.

Von Miller, traded back the second for Wolfe, Sly Williams, Bradley Roby, Shane Ray, and now Paxton Lynch. All of those picks except Von were back-third of the first round, too. That's All-Pro, starting DE, starting NT, best nickel in football, rotation blitzer and future starter, and QBOTF.

Can't wait to see Lynch work out for us.

I said at the start of the draft that I wanted Denver to take a QB because it would signal to me that we found a future all-pro. If we didn't go get someone it meant, at least to me, that there is not a guy who could do that and is obtainable. Presupposition being that Elway would pull the trigger and he did.

DenBronx
04-30-2016, 06:44 PM
I ****ing love this pick. I knew Goff and Wentz were a pipe dream even before the Rams and Philly traded for them but I believe Lynch has just as much upside as both of those other guys. No other QBs taken after Lynch even remotely intrigued me. Lynch has all the makings of a franchise QB. Goff is still my fav QB in this draft but I am thrilled with Lynch.

I can not wait to see this kid play and the matchups with him against Oz are going to make great story lines and games to watch. I hope Manning will work with him privately. Not sure that's an option for Manning but it would be great if he did.

dogfish
05-01-2016, 07:24 PM
Lol! oh man, i was so plastered when i posted this. . . :lol:

hey, check me out, though-- no whack U29 typing here!

TXBRONC
05-01-2016, 07:25 PM
I ****ing love this pick. I knew Goff and Wentz were a pipe dream even before the Rams and Philly traded for them but I believe Lynch has just as much upside as both of those other guys. No other QBs taken after Lynch even remotely intrigued me. Lynch has all the makings of a franchise QB. Goff is still my fav QB in this draft but I am thrilled with Lynch.

I can not wait to see this kid play and the matchups with him against Oz are going to make great story lines and games to watch. I hope Manning will work with him privately. Not sure that's an option for Manning but it would be great if he did.

Denver would have had to start in about the same position as the Eagles or Rams in order to have had to chance those guys. Screw that because that means were not the defending Super Champs.

Poet
05-01-2016, 07:28 PM
Lol! oh man, i was so plastered when i posted this. . . :lol:

hey, check me out, though-- no whack U29 typing here!

You beat out of his normal typing, too.

Well done.