PDA

View Full Version : Broncos pass on Hoyer so Lynch can get more reps, Sanchez to start

Denver Native (Carol)
04-29-2016, 06:51 PM
KUSA—When the Denver Broncos began to resolve their quarterback situation their initial plan was to have two veteran quarterbacks compete for the starting job and have two young quarterbacks to develop.

Paxton Lynch revised the plan.

After selecting Lynch, a 6-foot-7, dual-threat quarterback from the University of Memphis, in the first round of the NFL Draft on Thursday, the Broncos for now will stick with only three quarterbacks.

The Broncos notified free-agent veteran Brian Hoyer on Friday they will not be signing him to compete with Mark Sanchez for the starting job. The Broncos instead will go with the veteran Sanchez as their No. 1 quarterback with Lynch and Trevor Siemian, a rookie selected in the seventh round last year, competing as backups.

rest - http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/broncos-pass-oin-hoyer-so-lynch-can-get-more-reps/160445074

OrangeHoof
04-29-2016, 07:05 PM
Thank God.

G_Money
04-29-2016, 07:17 PM
If they'd picked Hogan later, it would have probably been Hoyer as a backup. As it is - Sanchez needs to be good and stay healthy.

Simple Jaded
04-29-2016, 07:56 PM
They need a PS guy, one who has the experience under Center that Lynch needs to work on, one who has talent to mold and develope.

Joel Stave.

Joel
04-29-2016, 10:48 PM
Thank God.
No kidding; yet another reason to be glad we drafted Lynch. Maybe the biggest winner here is Siemian, because I'm not sure even the PS would give us enough room for two former QBs and a future one plus a 4th. I hate the fact the current AND future starter are both learning the system from scratch, but am darned glad to have one of each so we're not putting all our eggs in the basket of either. Elway took care of us once again.

Simple Jaded
04-29-2016, 11:27 PM
No kidding; yet another reason to be glad we drafted Lynch. Maybe the biggest winner here is Siemian, because I'm not sure even the PS would give us enough room for two former QBs and a future one plus a 4th. I hate the fact the current AND future starter are both learning the system from scratch, but am darned glad to have one of each so we're not putting all our eggs in the basket of either. Elway took care of us once again.

Current players are learning from scratch?

Joel
04-30-2016, 12:16 AM
Current players are learning from scratch?
Sanchez is learning OUR offense from scratch, yes. And maybe not just ours; depends how much one thinks he learned from Rex Ryan and Brian Martyball.

Simple Jaded
05-01-2016, 01:08 AM
Sanchez is learning OUR offense from scratch, yes. And maybe not just ours; depends how much one thinks he learned from Rex Ryan and Brian Martyball.

Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy.

Joel
05-01-2016, 01:13 AM
Oh, valid point. I thought you meant all starters, you should take the time to be more descriptive, don't be shy.
From now on I'm linking this every time someone complains one of my posts is too long: YOU deal with them.... ;)

Tned
05-01-2016, 02:54 AM
From now on I'm linking this every time someone complains one of my posts is too long: YOU deal with them.... ;)

Ok, this made me laugh. Yea, I think you need to put that quote in your sig.

Tned
05-01-2016, 02:59 AM

Manning and Oz had to do it last year, so while it's not ideal, it's not much different that what the team had to deal with last year. In many ways, better, since last year you had a QB that wasn't comfortable and didn't want to run it.

It's not just the two QBs, you've got the two tackles as well, along with the new FB.

TXBRONC
05-01-2016, 08:13 AM
Selecting a quarterback in the first round kind of put the kabash on getting another veteran quarterback.

Joel
05-01-2016, 08:36 PM
Ok, this made me laugh. Yea, I think you need to put that quote in your sig.
Well, you know my view of arguing with Admins.... ;)

Manning and Oz had to do it last year, so while it's not ideal, it's not much different that what the team had to deal with last year. In many ways, better, since last year you had a QB that wasn't comfortable and didn't want to run it.
True, but I worried last preseason for most of the same reasons, and last years offense doesn't exactly allay those concerns. Sanchez is in far better physical shape than a 39-year-old Manning, and far more experienced than Oz, but I'm unsure splitting the difference can solve the problem here. Last year I consoled myself with the knowledge that THIS year we'd have a healthy Clady, Vasquez & Sambrailo, while Oz, Paradis & Garcia would have a years system and pro starting experience.

Roughly half those things turned out to be true. I remain confident Kubes & Dennison sooner than later get our offense where it must be, but less sure "soon"="2016."

It's not just the two QBs, you've got the two tackles as well, along with the new FB.
Yup, and at least one new guard. If it's Sambrailo he'll at least know the system, but we're still talking about a second year RT who started a few games at LT before injury kept him off even the practice field, and will now be asked to play G. Floundering would be fully understandable, at least for a while.