PDA

View Full Version : John Elway reveals why Bradford, Kaepernick trades fizzled

Denver Native (Carol)
04-29-2016, 04:26 PM
from article:

Speaking with Peter King of TheMMQB.com after the first round ended, Elway broke down how the team got to where they are with the quarterback situation and said they're "thrilled" to land Lynch.

“Do I have any regrets about this whole thing?” Elway asked. “No. We're thrilled to have ended up where we are, with Paxton. If you had said to me, ‘Here are your four options,' and you named the four we just went through, this is the one we'd take. We think Paxton, long-term, is a perfect fit for our offense.”

The options he's referring to are (in order): Brock Osweiler (drafted by Denver, planned retention in free agency, departed for the Texans and $72 million), Kaepernick (possible trade, but with a high guaranteed salary), Bradford (the Eagles were asking too much in a trade) and then Lynch.

Elway, who might be the best poker player in all of football, was delightfully frank about the situation with King, saying the Broncos were "really close" with Kaepernick and that the Eagles were just "asking way too much."

full article - http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25571258/john-elway-explains-why-colin-kaepernick-sam-bradford-trades-fell-through

Joel
04-29-2016, 05:06 PM
I just think there's always more than one solution to a problem. It may not be exactly the solution you'd want, but in football, in forming a roster, it's not about taking the easy way—it's about taking the right way.
This is why we're champions, and why Oz is in Houston: Contingencies within contingencies, and NO ONE is indispensable. That's why even historys greatest QB took a pay cut last year (granted, he regained half the cut by winning the AFCCG, and the other by winning the SB, but that was a contingency, too. ;))

It's why I don't lose a lot of sleep over the TEAM losing talented roleplayers: We'll survive without them just as we did with them. Elway or the highway.

DenBronx
04-29-2016, 05:07 PM
The word genius needs to be correctly spelled to Jenius with a capital J for John ****ing Elway!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-29-2016, 05:09 PM
We might actually be better this year.

DenBronx
04-29-2016, 05:10 PM
Seriously though, it's rare for a player that was a champion on the field to become a champion GM too. Elway is a big reason why I even became a Broncos fan and all he has done is bring so much win to the franchise.

DenBronx
04-29-2016, 05:12 PM
We might actually be better this year.

Peyton was awful last year. All we really need is Sanchez to play mistake free ball and let the defense bring it. I can't imagine us not winning the division at least. I believe our offense will actually have a pulse as well this year.

Ravage!!!
04-29-2016, 05:15 PM
Carol is so upset about the Os thing.

Poet
04-29-2016, 05:16 PM
I like how he styled on Brock by saying that drafting Lynch is better than resigning Brock.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-29-2016, 05:18 PM
I like how he styled on Brock by saying that drafting Lynch is better than resigning Brock.

:lol: who said that?!

Poet
04-29-2016, 05:24 PM
:lol: who said that?!

John Elway.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-29-2016, 05:44 PM
John Elway.

I just glanced at the article. ..that's freaking awesome!

Poet
04-29-2016, 05:52 PM
I just glanced at the article. ..that's freaking awesome!

I like John Elway.

Joel
04-29-2016, 06:06 PM
I like John Elway.
He's got all the things so many other QBs lack; arm, accuracy, vision, toughness, legs, a soul.... :tongue:

Poet
04-29-2016, 06:08 PM
He's got all the things so many other QBs lack; arm, accuracy, vision, toughness, legs, a soul.... :tongue:

#joelstyle
#souljokes
#escapefromCincinnati
#madeittoDenver

atwater27
04-29-2016, 09:26 PM
Peyton was awful last year. All we really need is Sanchez to play mistake free ball and let the defense bring it. I can't imagine us not winning the division at least. I believe our offense will actually have a pulse as well this year.

I love Peyton, but he played one season too many. He was horrid last year, aside from some savvy moments late in the season and in the playoffs. All in all though, our success was in spite of, not because of him last season. And I love and will defend Peyton til the death. All Sanchez has to do is accept his coaching, play humble and smart. The only team I am worried about in our Div is the Raiders. They are coming hard and fast on the improvement curve. They could give us fits. especially their defense.

Dzone
04-29-2016, 09:58 PM
Elway saying they were "really close" to getting Kaepernick. Yikes....whew!

atwater27
04-29-2016, 10:04 PM
I think Kap would have done well in Denver, with a stout D and solid coaching, as he did with Harbaugh. It was a smart idea. All we really need is a game manager anyway for the situation we are in.

Valar Morghulis
04-30-2016, 03:33 AM
The only team I am worried about in our Div is the Raiders. They are coming hard and fast on the improvement curve. They could give us fits. especially their defense.

Hey atty welcome back dude.

I agree about the raiders, I thought last season they may have finished above .500, this season they are a lock for ten wins.

The only thing that reassures me is del Rio!!!

Dzone
04-30-2016, 07:08 AM
Would Elway had pursued Lynch if he had signed Kaepernick? If not, then we are lucky that Kaepernick spurned the deal

TXBRONC
04-30-2016, 07:13 AM
Would Elway had pursued Lynch if he had signed Kaepernick? If not, then we are lucky that Kaepernick spurned the deal

It kind of sounds like he might have not drafted had they landed Kaepernick.

Dzone
04-30-2016, 08:03 AM
It kind of sounds like he might have not drafted had they landed Kaepernick.

That would have sucked. We could have been saddled with that smug a hole Kaepernick.

Joel
04-30-2016, 10:23 PM
That would have sucked. We could have been saddled with that smug a hole Kaepernick.
That was certainly my biggest fear during the Kaep talks: That we'd sign a retread bust, decide that gave us the luxury of drafting a late round long shot, and be back to square one two years from now. That may still happen, but at least we won't be releasing guys like Emmanuel Sanders just to pay Kaep for 6-10 seasons.

Tned
05-01-2016, 03:18 AM
I think Kap would have done well in Denver, with a stout D and solid coaching, as he did with Harbaugh. It was a smart idea. All we really need is a game manager anyway for the situation we are in.

Yea, hard to say. As bad as Kap was the last couple years, he still only threw a fraction of the INTs that Sanchez has thrown year in and year out. I "think" that Sanchez can be molded into the game manager that Kubiak needs, but it comes down to whether or not he can reign in the turnovers.

Basically, can Kubiak do for Sanchez what he did for/with Plummer? In AZ, Plummer had 90 TDs against 114 INTs. In Denver, his first year he was +8 TDs to INTs and continued from there, throwing 71 TDs against 47 INTs while in Denver.

TXBRONC
05-01-2016, 07:15 PM

I didn't see him as long term solution.

Softskull
05-01-2016, 07:53 PM
In Elway we trust.

Poet
05-01-2016, 07:56 PM
In Elway we trust.

You exist?!??!?!?! FRIEND!