PDA

View Full Version : Shannon Sharpe - Ring of Fame

Denver Native (Carol)
09-19-2009, 01:39 PM
As Shannon will be inducted into the Broncos Ring of Fame tomorrow, I thought it would be fun for all to post their memories of Shannon. Under video & audio, you can listen to Shannon last night at the dinner in his honor at Invesco Field at Mile High. http://www.denverbroncos.com/

Denver Native (Carol)
09-19-2009, 02:31 PM
http://www.break.com/usercontent/2009/6/top-ten-draft-steals-shannon-sharpe-787271.html

Denver Native (Carol)
09-19-2009, 02:39 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9376

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- At halftime of Sunday's 2009 home opener against Cleveland, Shannon Sharpe will take his rightful place among the organization's all-time greats when -- standing in front of Broncos Country -- he is honored as the 22nd inductee into the Broncos Ring of Fame.

While Sunday's ceremony will officially cement Sharpe into the Ring of Fame, the organization began celebrating No. 84's prolific career in orange and blue on Friday night. Surrounded by family and longtime friends alike, Sharpe was honored at the club's annual Alumni Reunion Dinner at INVESCO Field at Mile High.

"It's kind of hard to put into words," Sharpe said of the honor. "For the Broncos and Mr. Bowlen and the staff to think that my play on the field was worthy of this accomplishment, it's an unbelievable feeling. I'm humbled. I never imagined it, even in my wildest dreams."

A host of Broncos legends were on hand to pay tribute to Sharpe at the night's festivities. Eight Ring of Fame members -- Rich Jackson, Floyd Little, Billy Thompson, Haven Moses, Randy Gradishar, Karl Mecklenburg, Gary Zimmerman and Terrell Davis were present at the event to welcome Sharpe into the select group.

Sharpe's close personal friend, Rod Smith, was in attendance, as were three current members of the Broncos coaching staff. Assistant linebackers coach Keith Burns -- a former teammate of Sharpe's -- offensive line coach Rick Dennison and running backs coach Bobby Turner were all on hand for the evening dinner and presentation.

From start to finish, Friday's night's event was filled with class.

After a highlight video displaying key moments from Sharpe's illustrious career aired for the attendees, Broncos President and Chief Executive Officer Pat Bowlen took the podium, praising the accomplishments of Sharpe during his 12-year career with the Broncos.

"Nobody deserves this more than you do," Bowlen said. "You were the real deal and I can't tell you how much I appreciate what you did for the Denver Broncos and my family."

Sharpe took the stage next, quickly recalling his reaction when Bowlen called him in April and informed him he'd been selected to the organization's Ring of Fame.

"When you gave me that call in April, I was quiet on the phone and you said 'this doesn't sound like the Shannon I know;" Sharpe told Bowlen. "It was because I was speechless. Even in my wildest imagination as a little boy in Glennville, Georgia, going to Savannah State, could I imagine that my career would turn out like it has."

In a sincere and gracious tone, Sharpe spoke extensively about how appreciative he was to receive the prestigious recognition. As a player, he said he earned individual validation about his play by being selected to eight Pro Bowls. In terms of overall success at football's highest level, Sharpe said winning three Super Bowls was the "ultimate validation" for his career.

But never had he envisioned being honored after his career on the gridiron was complete, calling his Ring of Fame induction "icing on the cake" after all the Broncos organization has done for him since he was selected by the team in the seventh round of the 1990 NFL Draft.

"This is an unbelievable feeling," Sharpe said before walking off the stage to a standing ovation. "I'm so proud to be a Bronco and this is one of the best moments of my life. Mr. Bowlen, I'll never forget it."

FRIENDS PAY TRIBUTE

Broncos greats came out to recognize Sharpe on Friday night for good reason. Sharpe is credited with revolutionizing the tight end position. When he retired in 2003, he left the game as the NFL's all-time leader in receptions, receiving yards and touchdowns by a tight end.

Well aware of Sharpe's accolades, Gary Zimmerman --- a 2008 inductee into the Pro Football Hall of Fame -- said he was in attendance on Friday night to recognize Sharpe the person, not just the player.

"Shannon was a loyal teammate, he said. "He came into the locker room and entertained a lot of guys. "The o-line was pretty quiet and tight-lipped and Shannon always broke the ice."

While Sharpe has been well-known for his enthusiastic demeanor over the years, Zimmerman said people sometimes tend to forget how dedicated he was during his playing days.

"I think people don't realize the work ethic that he had," Zimmerman said. "If you'd seen him in the locker room - he had a chiseled body. He lifted weights like a lineman. He was probably one of the strongest guys on the team. And he was a very smart football player -- very bright.

Billy Thompson never played with Sharpe, but got to know him particularly well over the years, as his office at Dove Valley was directly across from the tight ends room. Thompson said the two formed a special bond during that time period and continue to have a strong relationship.

"I love him like a brother and he deserves this award," Thompson said.

True to their tight-knit relationship, Thompson and Sharpe both poked fun at each other on Friday night. Thompson said he has told Sharpe on numerous occasions that "if he was playing when I played, I would have shut him out."

Conversely, Sharpe had a message for Thompson, too.

"Billy Thompson, I just want you to know -- if you had played against me, there would be 21 members in the Ring of Fame," Sharpe joked.

RETURNING HOME

Sharpe said he is "anxious" for Sunday's ceremony because how well Broncos fans have treated him over the past two decades.

Due to his current role with CBS' NFL Today, Sharpe hasn't been able to return to Denver as much as he would have liked over the years, as his work schedule conflicts with Broncos games. But every time he does return to the Mile High City, he said he always feels right at home.

"It's always good to come back," Sharpe said. "The fans, they treat you so well when you come back. It's almost like I've never left."

Thompson said Sharpe was so well-liked among Broncos fans that Sunday's halftime atmosphere will without question make for a special moment.

"It will be electric," Thompson said.

Sharpe isn't quite sure what will race through his mind come Sunday, but he knows the occasion will bring a multitude of feelings.

"It's going to be emotional, I know it is," Sharpe said. "My mom is in town. My kids are coming. It's going to be an emotional feeling. How do you put it into words? How do you say thank you?"

Superchop 7
09-20-2009, 08:34 PM
If your going into the ring......THATS how you enter a stadium.

What I remember most was John asking Shannon to block for him, Shannon would look back at John, step back, then drop down low in his stance, he was selfless, unlike todays players.

I remember a quote from an opposing team's player...."I could not believe how strong he was" (Sharpe)

Who can forget the rivalry with his brother?

Or the call to the president ?

Or how touched he was that Mike called him after the Ravens won the Super Bowl?

He and Rod Smith proved every draft scout wrong.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Shannon with Gary Miller

http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=62176@kcnc.dayport.com

Davii
09-20-2009, 08:45 PM
I think my favorite memory was him on the phone "Call out the National Guard, we're killing the Patriots!"

Buff
09-20-2009, 08:54 PM
Great standing ovation for Sharpe today... Gave me goosebumps. As bad as some of our fans were with their booing of Orton, they redeemed themselves by giving Shannon his props.

Davii
09-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Did anyone else think he looked like he could throw on a jersey and score a TD or two?

The man is still in better shape than most, if not all, others on the field.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-21-2009, 02:14 PM
First video on this link:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609

broncofaninfla
09-21-2009, 02:42 PM
Great tribute for an all time Bronco great. Next is the HOF!

Denver Native (Carol)
09-22-2009, 04:02 PM
Denver Bronco great Shannon Sharpe talks with Scott & Al about his induction into the Bronco Ring Of Fame!

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1142655

BigDaddyBronco
09-22-2009, 04:21 PM
Great standing ovation for Sharpe today... Gave me goosebumps. As bad as some of our fans were with their booing of Orton, they redeemed themselves by giving Shannon his props.
I loved how emotional and genuinely appreciative he was toward the organization and fans. Class act.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Denver Bronco great Shannon Sharpe talks with Scott & Al about his induction into the Bronco Ring Of Fame!

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1142655

He also gives his thoughts on this year's Broncos, which may surprise some.

MOtorboat
09-22-2009, 04:23 PM
Honestly, other than maybe, MAYBE, the National Guard rant from what was like his rookie season, Sunday might be my favorite Shannon Sharpe moment. Coming into the stadium like that was just nuts...

P.S. I can't wait to see NTL's video.

NightTrainLayne
09-22-2009, 06:09 PM
Honestly, other than maybe, MAYBE, the National Guard rant from what was like his rookie season, Sunday might be my favorite Shannon Sharpe moment. Coming into the stadium like that was just nuts...

P.S. I can't wait to see NTL's video.

I'll try to get it uploaded tonight. . .not the best camera work, but the stadium was rocking and rolling when he was coming in.

Denver Native (Carol)
09-24-2009, 01:13 PM
On this link, it shows the video of Shannon, from start to finish, plus other "Ring of Fame" players.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9395

DENVER -- As Broncos fans awaited the start of the team's 2009 home opener last Sunday, their eyes might have wandered upward.

Among the clouds they might have seen a few tiny specks that seemed to be falling toward the INVESCO Field at Mile High.

As they got closer, it became apparent that those specks were actually the Thunderstorm Jumpers, a sight that has become familiar to Broncos fans. The group of skydivers -- "world-class canopy pilots," says skydiving instructor David Billings, a member of the Thunderstorm Jumpers -- will jump into the middle of the stadium in nine of the Broncos' 10 home games in 2009.

But the pregame jump on September 20 was no normal trip. Broncos Ring of Famer Shannon Sharpe joined the group for a grand entrance to the stadium. He tandem jumped with Billings, which means the skydiving instructor was attached to the tight end for extra safety.

On the way down, Billings said Sharpe was "having a lot of fun, hooting and hollering and giving a big thumbs up to the camera."

For Billings, every jump is a thrill, but jumping into the middle of INVESCO Field with 70,000 or more screaming fans all around -- it doesn't get any better.

"It's a high," he said. "It's the best thing. I've got about 8,700 jumps and every time I jump in the stadium it's the biggest jump I've ever done."

This time around, it was even bigger. He and Sharpe hurtled toward INVESCO, shouting and smiling and mugging for the camera that shot their journey downward. As they neared the field, the cheers grew louder until their feet touched the ground for a smooth and safe landing.

Sharpe immediately lifted his hands in the air and gave a few fist pumps to the crowd to get fans fired up. Not too bad an entrance before being inducted into the Ring of Fame.

Then he grabbed a microphone, thanked the fans for all their support, and gave them a little pep talk before what would be a 24-6 Broncos victory against the Cleveland Browns.

"Let's show everybody what we're about today," Sharpe said. "Let's get loud!"

The tight end's spectacular entrance came after plenty of preparation days in advance.

In fact, there was so much preparation that the instructors pretty much wore Sharpe out on the very first day when they practiced three jumps, including one into the stadium.

"You get a big adrenaline rush when you jump, and after a few hours you start to crash -- kind of like an energy drink," Billings said. "By the third jump I think he was pretty worn out."

But that didn't deter the tight end from his plan to skydive into the stadium. He kept at it, and by the time the actual jump came, he was ready to go.

"He was very calm, cool and collected, surprisingly -- he was really into it," Billings said. "He was nervous, don't get me wrong, but I was expecting him to be a little more nervous than he was. He had a lot of fun."

One of the reasons Sharpe felt so calm about the jump was most likely the vast experience of his instructors. The Thunderstorm Jumpers are primarily made up of instructors from Mile Hi Skydiving, a business that started in 1995 and continues to grow every year. Operating out of the same location for 11 years, Mile Hi Skydiving trains more than four times the amount of students of any other skydiving center in the mountain region.

The Thunderstorm Jumpers formed when the Broncos began looking for a "civilian team" to jump into the stadium before home games. And they will provide exciting entertainment for fans at INVESCO Field for every game this season except for the Thanksigiving game against the New York Giants, because there will be cameras stretched across above the field on wires -- making a jump a tad bit dangerous.

So while fans always enjoy watching the jumpers parachute into the middle of the stadium, last Sunday's jump was certainly one to remember for everyone involved.

"With Shannon, that was probably the most cheers I've ever heard coming into a stadium by far," Billings said. "That jump was probably the highlight of career."