PDA

View Full Version : Source: Skip Bayless Is Leaving ESPN For Fox Sports

Denver Native (Carol)
04-26-2016, 02:49 PM
ESPN provocateur-in-chief and First Take co-host Skip Bayless is leaving ESPN, according to a statement released today by the company:

Skip Bayless has decided to leave ESPN when his contract expires at the end of August. His final appearance on First Take will be the day after the NBA Finals conclude. We want to thank Skip for his many contributions to ESPN. His hard work and talent have benefited ESPN for 12 years.

According to an industry source, Bayless is expected to join Fox Sports. New Fox Sports head honcho Jamie Horowitz—who worked with Bayless at First Take while at ESPN and is generally credited/blamed for the network’s embarrassing “Embrace Debate” era—has been clear about his desire to remake Fox Sports as a sort of giant crypto-racist shout show, and Bayless is the biggest name in that game. “Yes, we’re interested in all the superstars,” Horowitz told Sporting News last month. “Of course, I’m interested in Skip.”

rest - http://deadspin.com/source-skip-bayless-is-leaving-espn-for-fox-sports-1773145374

artie_dale
04-26-2016, 02:59 PM
Exodus @ ESPN

Buff
04-26-2016, 03:09 PM
He will be missed... Said no one.

BroncoWave
04-26-2016, 03:24 PM
He will be missed... Said no one.

This actually is a pretty big loss for espn ratings-wise. As big of a moron as he is, his show draws killer ratings. It's crazy how people are just leaving espn in droves right now.

artie_dale
04-26-2016, 03:30 PM
This actually is a pretty big loss for espn ratings-wise. As big of a moron as he is, his show draws killer ratings. It's crazy how people are just leaving espn in droves right now.

Yeah, I followed Colin Cowherd to CBS. He's even better than he was when he was at ESPN. I wonder why.

OrangeHoof
04-26-2016, 03:32 PM
Skip Bayless? I always do.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-26-2016, 03:33 PM
Monday Night Football announcer Mike Tirico is reportedly set to leave ESPN and will join NBC once his current contract expires this summer.

John Ourand of Sports Business Daily first reported the news. Larry Lage of the Associated Press confirmed the report.

Tirico is expected to take over as NBC's play-by-play commentator for Thursday Night Football and could play a role in the network's golf coverage, according to Sports Business Daily. The outlet noted Al Michaels, who does play-by-play for NBC's Sunday Night Football, has two years left on his deal.

The 49-year-old sportscaster has covered a wide array of sports during his time at ESPN, which began in 1991. His most prominent assignments have been the NFL and NBA, but he's also been involved in college sports, golf, tennis and the FIFA World Cup.

rest - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2635742-mike-tirico-reportedly-leaving-espn-for-nbc-in-summer-2016

If this is true, IMO, this is a much bigger loss for ESPN than Bayless

BroncoWave
04-26-2016, 03:39 PM
rest - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2635742-mike-tirico-reportedly-leaving-espn-for-nbc-in-summer-2016

Tirico is certainly a way bigger loss in terms of talent, but I don't think any fewer people will watch sporting events because he isn't calling them. I imagine their daytime ratings will take a big hit without Bayless though. I bet if you asked their execs privately they would rather lose Tirico than Bayless.

DenBronx
04-26-2016, 04:45 PM
First take is a ratings machine and Skip actually is a hellllll of alot better than the racist Stephen A Smith.

Poet
04-26-2016, 05:56 PM
Bayless is clearly acting like an eccentric sophist on his shows for ratings, but people are entertained. I believe this will be a massive 'loss' for ESPN.

MOtorboat
04-26-2016, 06:20 PM

NBC is also trying to make a push for one of the Big 5 college football conferences. Having a big name to headline the broadcast helps their bid. ESPN's bid for the new Big Ten package was reportedly low, which leaves open NBC as a possible other half to Fox's Big Ten conference, which is about half of the coverage.

MOtorboat
04-26-2016, 06:20 PM
Bayless is an idiot and Fox's moves have been horrible. FS1 is not watchable outside of its soccer coverage and live sports.

MOtorboat
04-26-2016, 06:22 PM
Yeah, I followed Colin Cowherd to CBS. He's even better than he was when he was at ESPN. I wonder why.

Cowherd is terrible. Most of his arguments are formed with completely incorrect facts. And effing Whitlock is his sidekick. That guys an even bigger idiot, his take on John Elway not withstanding.

FanInAZ
04-26-2016, 06:28 PM
?So is there a reason for this mass exodus from ESPN? Are they not paying enough? Not allowing enough creative expression? Are the executives a bunch of tyrants?

BroncoWave
04-26-2016, 06:31 PM
Cowherd is terrible. Most of his arguments are formed with completely incorrect facts. And effing Whitlock is his sidekick. That guys an even bigger idiot, his take on John Elway not withstanding.

I love cowherd. The key is to not take him too seriously.

MOtorboat
04-26-2016, 06:32 PM
?So is there a reason for this mass exodus from ESPN? Are they not paying enough? Not allowing enough creative expression? Are the executives a bunch of tyrants?

Depends on who you're talking about. Bayless and Tirico are getting paid big bucks to leave. Simmons was pissed about how ESPN handled Grantland (I'm with him on that), but at the same time Simmons handled that by taking pot shots at just about everyone. Olberman's show was a ratings disaster and he's a loose cannon. I believe Cowherd said some things that got him suspended and then they mutually parted ways and he got paid big to go to Fox. A lot of it is that the other networks are paying huge money to try to boost ratings on their cable networks.

MOtorboat
04-26-2016, 06:51 PM
As it's kind of topical here, Simmons' show, Any Given Wednesday, debuts June 22.

With Simmons gone and Van Pelt the featured midnight sports center anchor, Rusillo's NBA analysis is underutilized. Simmons realized how good Rusillo was at NBA and started to use him on Grantland shows, then Simmons got the boot and ESPN partnered Rusillo with Kanell and axed Grantland...at least Rusillo showed up on Coast to Coast frequently.

BroncoWave
04-26-2016, 07:35 PM
As it's kind of topical here, Simmons' show, Any Given Wednesday, debuts June 22.

With Simmons gone and Van Pelt the featured midnight sports center anchor, Rusillo's NBA analysis is underutilized. Simmons realized how good Rusillo was at NBA and started to use him on Grantland shows, then Simmons got the boot and ESPN partnered Rusillo with Kanell and axed Grantland...at least Rusillo showed up on Coast to Coast frequently.

Kanell sucks. I don't mind him sometimes, but he goes on some really stupid soapboxes. I definitely miss SVP with Rusillo. I have a feeling if Simmons' HBO platform really takes off he could start poaching guys that he worked well with at ESPN like Rusillo and Jalen Rose whenever their contracts come up.

MOtorboat
04-26-2016, 07:49 PM
Kanell sucks. I don't mind him sometimes, but he goes on some really stupid soapboxes. I definitely miss SVP with Rusillo. I have a feeling if Simmons' HBO platform really takes off he could start poaching guys that he worked well with at ESPN like Rusillo and Jalen Rose whenever their contracts come up.

I'm holding out hope ESPN lets Rose, Lowe and Rusillo go do some HBO, but in reality there's no way that's happening.

BroncoWave
04-26-2016, 07:56 PM
I'm holding out hope ESPN lets Rose, Lowe and Rusillo go do some HBO, but in reality there's no way that's happening.

Oh they would never in a million years let one of their guys do that. Simmons has said since leaving that ESPN does not allow their talent to go on competitors' shows. Which is why I am hoping his HBO show hits it big and he can start poaching some of those guys down the road.

OrangeHoof
04-26-2016, 08:25 PM
ESPN is losing talent because they agreed to let Pedro Gomez use the ladies room...

Denver Native (Carol)
05-09-2016, 08:54 PM
Sean McDonough, one of sports television’s most versatile broadcasters, will be the new play-by-play voice for ESPN’s Monday Night Football. He will work alongside analyst Jon Gruden and reporter Lisa Salters when the 2016 NFL season kicks off this fall.

McDonough – whose broadcasting resume includes the World Series, NCAA Final Four and the Olympic Games – has worked on major properties including college football, college basketball and Major League Baseball in recent years. He has also called NFL games for ESPN Radio since 2013.

McDonough has been with ESPN since 2000 – his second stint with the company (previously 1989-95) – and recently signed a new extension. He becomes just the fifth person to occupy the play-by-play position in the 46-year history of MNF, joining broadcasting stalwarts Keith Jackson, Frank Gifford, Al Michaels and Mike Tirico, who called the past 10 seasons on ESPN.

rest - http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2016/05/sean-mcdonough-joins-espns-monday-night-football/

Denver Native (Carol)
08-01-2016, 03:33 PM
Skip Bayless says his move to Fox Sports 1 – with a new daily program that is set to bow Sept. 6 – will allow him to remove the “handcuffs” he’s been compelled to wear at ESPN, where he hosted the popular ESPN2 program First Take with Stephen A. Smith.

“Too many people in charge at ESPN, for my taste, were a little too fearful,” Bayless tells The Hollywood Reporter in an interview officially revealing his move. "It's a Disney network. There are just certain boundaries that you can’t even tiptoe along. Not that we won’t have boundaries at Fox, because we will. [But] they will trust me to go a little deeper. I can be completely honest on everything."

The long-rumored announcement is expected to be made Monday from Fox Sports National Networks president Jamie Horowitz, who had oversight of First Take while he was a vp at ESPN. And Bayless' FS1 show will air from 10 a.m. – noon, going head-to-head with First Take. (Max Kellerman debuted July 25 as Smith’s new co-host.)

rest - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/skip-bayless-joins-fox-sports-916035

OrangeHoof
08-01-2016, 03:49 PM
Just what America needs - a "deeper" Skip Bayless.

FanInAZ
08-01-2016, 04:17 PM
I don’t respect people who make allegations that are so vague that the accused can’t respond to them.

MOtorboat
08-01-2016, 04:46 PM
rest - http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/skip-bayless-joins-fox-sports-916035

His takes get worse?

Oh dear.

ShaneFalco
08-01-2016, 05:49 PM
i love skip

FanInAZ
08-01-2016, 06:21 PM
i love skip

You do have a tendency to have views that are completely contrary to the majority :D

MOtorboat
08-01-2016, 06:25 PM
You do have a tendency to have views that are completely contrary to the majority :D

Skip is still slurping the Tebow juice.

ShaneFalco
08-01-2016, 07:11 PM
Skip is still slurping the Tebow juice.
https://usatftw.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/tebow-orange-juice.gif?w=1000

atwater27
08-01-2016, 07:31 PM
ESPN sucks. They need to dump the social justice warrior crap and stick to sports.

BroncoWave
08-01-2016, 07:46 PM
ESPN sucks. They need to dump the social justice warrior crap and stick to sports.

What does that have to do with Skip Bayless?

OrangeHoof
08-02-2016, 10:45 AM

You just have to look for it on other ESPN channels. I remember when the Weather Channel showed weather, the History Channel showed history and MTV showed music videos. Now, they want programming that attracts more eyeballs even if they have nothing to do with the reason you thought you were going there to watch. Life was so much simpler then.

atwater27
08-02-2016, 02:06 PM
What does that have to do with Skip Bayless?

He left ESPN. There ya go chief.

Poet
08-02-2016, 07:48 PM

Go on?

BroncoWave
08-02-2016, 08:46 PM
He left ESPN. There ya go chief.

Ok? And what does that have to do with ESPN doing "social justice warrior crap"?

atwater27
08-04-2016, 05:43 PM
Ok? And what does that have to do with ESPN doing "social justice warrior crap"?

We were on the subject of ESPN. and why people leave them. and why your boy Colin Cowherd got fired from them.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-10-2016, 10:41 AM
When cutting off a head from the mythical hydra, two would grow back in its place.

In unrelated news, Skip Bayless is gone from ESPN, and there will now be a pair First Takes.

Via SportsBusiness Daily, FOX has announced that Hall of Fame tight end Shannon Sharpe has been hired to partner up with Bayless for an FS1 production that will be televised at the same time Stephen A. Smith and Max Kellerman do their thing for ESPN. The FOX show, which currently lacks a name and a staff, debuts on September 6.

rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/08/fox-adds-shannon-sharpe-for-its-first-take-counter-programming/

MOtorboat
08-10-2016, 11:29 AM
Shannon Sharpe has jumped the shark.