PDA

View Full Version : 2016 NFL Draft Rumors: Broncos looking to trade up in the first round of the NFL Draft

Denver Native (Carol)
04-23-2016, 01:34 PM
According to Charlie Campbell of WalterFootball.com, the Denver Broncos are actively talking to teams about trading up in the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft.

Walter Cherepinsky ‎@walterfootball

#Broncos and #Browns are looking to trade up from 31, 32, @DraftCampbell reports - http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftrumormill.php …
10:22 AM - 23 Apr 2016

If a team is looking to trade up, they are targeting a certain player or two, so who may that player be? According to Campbell, the Denver Broncos are in the quarterback market and are targeting quarterback prospect Paxton Lynch.

rest - http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/4/23/11494378/2016-nfl-draft-rumors-broncos-looking-to-trade-up-in-the-first-round

Poet
04-23-2016, 02:04 PM
I wonder whom we might be targeting.

BroncoWave
04-23-2016, 02:10 PM
Ugh. I will be really pissed if we trade up for Lynch. Hopefully I'm a moron and realize I should have just trusted Elway if we wind up picking him, but I just don't buy into his hype.

Poet
04-23-2016, 02:15 PM
Ugh. I will be really pissed if we trade up for Lynch. Hopefully I'm a moron and realize I should have just trusted Elway if we wind up picking him, but I just don't buy into his hype.

If we trade up for a QB I'm going hype. I mean really hype.

Northman
04-23-2016, 02:19 PM
Well, we certainly have the ammo and firepower with draft picks to make a move. This probably makes more sense rather than trading back only because we only have so much cap room anyway. So maybe we are targeting players that could have an immediate impact. QB seems to be up in the air and there for anyone to take so if Lynch is the target maybe he simply outplays Sanchez or whoever else we have there. Wilson did it so anything is possible.

BroncoWave
04-23-2016, 02:21 PM
Wilson did it so anything is possible.

What does that have to do with Lynch?

Northman
04-23-2016, 02:22 PM
What does that have to do with Lynch?

Only pointing out that its possible for a rookie QB to come in and win the job.

BroncoWave
04-23-2016, 02:23 PM
Only pointing out that its possible for a rookie QB to come in and win the job.

It's possible for a rookie at any position to come in and win the job. That doesn't mean we should trade up for Lynch.

NightTerror218
04-23-2016, 02:26 PM
So that means qe are looking to jump jets

TXBRONC
04-23-2016, 02:29 PM
It's possible for a rookie at any position to come in and win the job. That doesn't mean we should trade up for Lynch.

It doesn't mean Denver should nor does it mean they shouldn't. Do you have point other than trolling?

BroncoWave
04-23-2016, 02:34 PM
It doesn't mean Denver should nor does it mean they shouldn't. Do you have point other than trolling?

I'm trying to figure out North's point. He is using Wilson winning the job in Seattle as reason for why we should draft Lynch. I just don't see how those two things are related whatsoever. What is your reason for interjecting yourself into the discussion other than trolling?

Timmy!
04-23-2016, 02:38 PM
I don't buy it, at least not for Lynch. Price will be too high.

Northman
04-23-2016, 02:51 PM

Well no duh. Of course any player can win the job i think you totally missed what i was getting at. I get it, you are not high on Lynch (im indifferent for the time being) but im also not very high on Dak who i think would be a waste of a roster spot personally. The general point is Denver may be looking for quality players (maybe they feel Lynch is someone who can contribute now) over moving back and stockpiling picks.

BroncoWave
04-23-2016, 02:57 PM
Well no duh. Of course any player can win the job i think you totally missed what i was getting at. I get it, you are not high on Lynch (im indifferent for the time being) but im also not very high on Dak who i think would be a waste of a roster spot personally. The general point is Denver may be looking for quality players (maybe they feel Lynch is someone who can contribute now) over moving back and stockpiling picks.

Changing gears a bit, I'm not really sure how hard it would be for a rookie to win the job over this current crop of QBs we have. :lol:

Northman
04-23-2016, 03:11 PM
Changing gears a bit, I'm not really sure how hard it would be for a rookie to win the job over this current crop of QBs we have. :lol:

Exactly. And truthfully that would include Dak if he was drafted by us.

Valar Morghulis
04-23-2016, 03:28 PM
If we trade up for a QB I'm going hype. I mean really hype.

Do you mean buzz?

VonDoom
04-23-2016, 03:37 PM

Depends on who we're talking to. If we jump the Bills and Jets, the price would be steep. If we just jump the Chiefs at 28 (which MHR implied), it probably wouldn't be that bad.

I'm not big on Lynch, but I trust Elway. I'd rather wait and pick a d-lineman like Nkemdiche but so many things are in play by the time it gets late in the round. So hard to predict at this point

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-23-2016, 03:44 PM
Do you mean buzz?

Thank you for pointing out the grievous error in his terminology. He should know better.

Poet
04-23-2016, 04:04 PM
Do you mean buzz?

I don't understand this joke.

Valar Morghulis
04-23-2016, 04:44 PM
I don't understand this joke.

One of the reasons osweiler was doomed was because of the lack of buzz about him.

I believe yash or him hippo was involved in the ensuing debate about hype and buzz

DenBronx
04-23-2016, 04:47 PM
We shouldn't show our cards right now. If we make a trade pre draft for Lynch another team that wanted Lynch could easily just trade up and jump over us anyway. We should just wait until draft day. Teams that make trades early usually get fleeced.

But I do like the idea of getting Lynch. This will make me a happy Broncos fan. I believe he will be better than Oz.

Timmy!
04-23-2016, 04:53 PM
Depends on who we're talking to. If we jump the Bills and Jets, the price would be steep. If we just jump the Chiefs at 28 (which MHR implied), it probably wouldn't be that bad.

I'm not big on Lynch, but I trust Elway. I'd rather wait and pick a d-lineman like Nkemdiche but so many things are in play by the time it gets late in the round. So hard to predict at this point

Agreed, but I'm thinking some qb starved team is going to pull the trigger and Lynch goes before 20.

Poet
04-23-2016, 05:00 PM
One of the reasons osweiler was doomed was because of the lack of buzz about him.

I believe yash or him hippo was involved in the ensuing debate about hype and buzz

Oh.

Oh god.

OH GOD WHY?!?!?!

Valar Morghulis
04-23-2016, 05:02 PM
Oh. Oh god. OH GOD WHY?!?!?!

Because Tim hippo!

VonDoom
04-23-2016, 05:12 PM
Agreed, but I'm thinking some qb starved team is going to pull the trigger and Lynch goes before 20.

Yeah, definitely possible. I hope we don't jump that high to get him. If say the Bills take him ... oh well. Stick to your board

OrangeHoof
04-23-2016, 05:45 PM

What does John Lynch and Trevor Price have to do with this other than trolling?

DenBronx
04-23-2016, 06:01 PM

Yeah, definitely possible. I hope we don't jump that high to get him. If say the Bills take him ... oh well. Stick to your board

If the Bills take him then I fully expect them to trade Tyrod.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-23-2016, 06:20 PM
Because Tim hippo!

This Thread is winning!

TXBRONC
04-23-2016, 07:00 PM

I thought you were clear enough. Hypothetically if Denver moved up to draft Lynch wonder if he would start immediately.

BroncoWave
04-23-2016, 07:22 PM
I thought you were clear enough. Hypothetically if Denver moved up to draft Lynch wonder if he would start immediately.

It would be a waste of this historic defense that still has a legitimate Super Bowl window to start a rookie QB who by all accounts will need time to develop.

Jsteve01
04-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Id take Boykin over Prescott. I like him as a late-round Tyrod Taylor type

TXBRONC
04-23-2016, 08:25 PM
It would be a waste of this historic defense that still has a legitimate Super Bowl window to start a rookie QB who by all accounts will need time to develop.

Maybe but necessarily.

Simple Jaded
04-23-2016, 11:29 PM

I bet that's why the Broncos are trying to move up, because 31 just isn't quite high enough to pry Taylor from the Bills. Might have to spice it up with Miller or DT.

DenBronx
04-24-2016, 08:48 AM

I bet that's why the Broncos are trying to move up, because 31 just isn't quite high enough to pry Taylor from the Bills. Might have to spice it up with Miller or DT.

Miller or DT? Wtf???

elsid13
04-24-2016, 09:15 AM

Neither DT or Miller is being traded for Taylor. That's just stupid

Davii
04-24-2016, 09:26 AM
Might have to spice it up with Miller or DT.

:sick: No chance. Not even McDouche would make those trades. Especially Von. You don't trade the best defensive player in the game.

Valar Morghulis
04-24-2016, 09:33 AM
A Colts fan just told me Elway is trying to trade all the way up to 18

chazoe60
04-24-2016, 09:42 AM

I'm not sure a rookie would be worse than what we had last year.

elsid13
04-24-2016, 09:45 AM
:sick: No chance. Not even McDouche would make those trades. Especially Von. You don't trade the best defensive player in the game.

Don't underestimate the foolishness of McDouche.

Cugel
04-24-2016, 09:49 AM
we’ll probably never really know the first person to call April “Liar’s Month.”

The one laying claim to it probably would be lying, anyway.

But I don’t believe I’d heard the terribly truthful call until it came from the lips of former Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith.

It was about the NFL Draft, which brings about April Fool’s Month. (http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/apr/22/canepa-nfl-draft/)

In that tax returns also are filed during these 30 days, when you throw in the draft, April should have to go to confession and do 100 rosaries for penance.

Just the other day, after we spoke, A.J. emailed me a dictionary definition of “deception,” which he admits he practiced quite often and without shame in the fourth month. And he wasn’t unique, although being a veteran April fabricator, he was better at it than most of his more youthful comrades.

Oh, there are tangled webs being weaved as we attempt to get through this month.

The draft begins Thursday, with the first round, and if you believe one thing being said, which team likes which player, etc., then you probably bought tickets to the next Beatles concert and are enjoying your piece of the Brooklyn Bridge and Florida swampland.

Nobody involved in the draft tells the truth this month. If they slip up, they aren’t worthy of the office. It’s become a game, a charade.

“It is Liar’s Month, and we all know it,” said A.J., now retired and basically living the resort life in Del Mar. “There are a lot of ways to look at it. I guess it was maneuvering.

“There’s an art to misleading, to misinformation. You even do it a little with the GMs you know best, although some don’t ask so you don’t bother telling. But it’s still misleading. On occasion I would play some games, working the system to see if it could help us. And I was not the Lone Ranger. Not the young guys, so much, but the older ones loved to play games.”

If someone is reporting it then it's probably false or misleading information.

BroncoJoe
04-24-2016, 09:50 AM
I'm not sure a rookie would be worse than what we had last year.

Neither would Sanchez?

VonDoom
04-24-2016, 10:46 AM
Miller or DT? Wtf???

Neither DT or Miller is being traded for Taylor. That's just stupid

Pretty sure this was sarcasm, though only he can answer that for sure

Denver Native (Carol)
04-24-2016, 12:54 PM
Barring a major trade up the board for a guy like Paxton Lynch, the Denver Broncos are positioned to take the last quarterback standing in the first round and expert mock drafters out there know it, which is why Connor Cook now leads the pack of players being mocked to the Broncos right now.

QB Connor Cook - 20.4%
DL Chris Jones - 12.2%
QB Paxton Lynch - 12.2%
DL Robert Nkemdiche - 10.2%
DT A'Shawn Robinson - 6.1%
All Others - 38.8%

SB Nation compiled a database of 49 recent mock drafts to assemble this data and although the consensus is currently Cook, he barely received a fifth of the total picks.

That should ruffle some feathers around here as it seems fans either love Cook or hate him. Those in the middle seem far and few between.

rest - http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/4/24/11497488/2016-nfl-mock-draft-connor-cook-denver-broncos

Northman
04-24-2016, 01:01 PM
I can live with that.

Simple Jaded
04-24-2016, 01:31 PM
Miller or DT? Wtf???

It's no less stupid than trading 31 for a backup zone-read QB, as the rumor goes, I scares me that people would even consider this anytHing but sarcasm.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-25-2016, 09:01 AM
I wonder if there's any truth to Denver wanting to move up to 19? Many believe Paxton Lynch will fall to the Jets at 20.

VonDoom
04-25-2016, 09:53 AM
I wonder if there's any truth to Denver wanting to move up to 19? Many believe Paxton Lynch will fall to the Jets at 20.

I really hope not. The price will be high to move up that far, and I'm not convinced Lynch is worth that.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-25-2016, 09:58 AM
I really hope not. The price will be high to move up that far, and I'm not convinced Lynch is worth that.

Physically he is, but he would need at least 1- 2 years to develop before seeing the field.

CoachChaz
04-25-2016, 10:00 AM
Physically he is, but he would need at least 1- 2 years to develop before seeing the field.

Even then it's a crap shoot. Kid needs to learn a TON before sniffing the field.

OrangeHoof
04-25-2016, 10:02 AM
Maybe it's for Cook, not Lynch.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-25-2016, 10:07 AM
Maybe it's for Cook, not Lynch.

Maybe so.

underrated29
04-25-2016, 10:11 AM
Dont want lynch. He does not want to throw the ball downfield. he is kyle orton or sam bradford. Id rather not trade up that high at all, I dont think we do, but id take cook over lynch.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-25-2016, 10:12 AM
Dont want lynch. He does not want to throw the ball downfield. he is kyle orton or sam bradford. Id rather not trade up that high at all, I dont think we do, but id take cook over lynch.

He doesn't want to throw the ball down field? Why do you say that? He throws a nice deep ball.

underrated29
04-25-2016, 11:16 AM
He doesn't want to throw the ball down field? Why do you say that? He throws a nice deep ball.

He does throw a nice deep ball. Especially when the guy is wide open, but I watched several of his games and he is just like sam bradford. Dink and Dunk 5-12 yards....He does not want to throw the ball any farther than that. Also my suspicion as to why his completion percentage is so high. He will keep the safties up because hed rather throw short. I am not that impressed with him, I dont think he is worth a first rd pick....Not many in this draft are, but if we are to reach on a QB I do not want it to be lynch.
I have my concerns about him.
Id rather cook or even hogan later.

My ideal scenario is we trade 31 to San fran for 37 and Kaep. At 37 we take Karl Joseph and grab Hogan in the mid rounds. Still leaving us with another 2nd rd pick and two 3rds to grab some DL/OL/RB

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-25-2016, 11:40 AM
He does throw a nice deep ball. Especially when the guy is wide open, but I watched several of his games and he is just like sam bradford. Dink and Dunk 5-12 yards....He does not want to throw the ball any farther than that. Also my suspicion as to why his completion percentage is so high. He will keep the safties up because hed rather throw short. I am not that impressed with him, I dont think he is worth a first rd pick....Not many in this draft are, but if we are to reach on a QB I do not want it to be lynch.
I have my concerns about him.
Id rather cook or even hogan later.

My ideal scenario is we trade 31 to San fran for 37 and Kaep. At 37 we take Karl Joseph and grab Hogan in the mid rounds. Still leaving us with another 2nd rd pick and two 3rds to grab some DL/OL/RB

I think Cook would be the most pro ready qb outside of maybe Goff.

I have to admit I'm a little intrigued by his tangibles, but that wonderlic score scares me off.

underrated29
04-25-2016, 12:32 PM
Did he suck at the wonderlic?

So he has leadership concerns, personality concerns and not too smart to boot?

What a terrible year for us to need a QB. I hope/know we will get kaep, but man......We need Wentz, Goff, Cook, Lynch and Hackenberg to all go in the first rd...I think/hope they will but to me that is our only chance for not reaching big time on a QB.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-25-2016, 12:39 PM

What a terrible year for us to need a QB. I hope/know we will get kaep, but man......We need Wentz, Goff, Cook, Lynch and Hackenberg to all go in the first rd...I think/hope they will but to me that is our only chance for not reaching big time on a QB.

He scored a 19 on the wonderlic.

I like Cook and Hackenberg

VonDoom
04-25-2016, 12:44 PM

Are we talking about Lynch or Cook? It's hard to follow the last few posts. FYI, Lynch scored an 18 on the Wonderlic, Cook a 25

underrated29
04-25-2016, 01:41 PM
Oh, I was talking cook.

I started lynch, then moved to cook. I am not confused too. Ok, well glad cookie did decent at 25. He is still my choice if we go first rd QB, but going first rd qb is not my first choice.

TXBRONC
04-25-2016, 06:17 PM

If the rumors are true I could see the Jets leap frogging the Broncos to get Lynch if they are interested in him.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-25-2016, 06:19 PM
If the rumors are true I could see the Jets leap frogging the Broncos to get Lynch if they are interested in him.

I don't think the Jets have the ammo to do that.

TXBRONC
04-25-2016, 06:20 PM
I don't think the Jets have the ammo to do that.

Not even to go to 18?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-25-2016, 06:21 PM
Not even to go to 18?

Why would they move up one spot?

MOtorboat
04-25-2016, 06:22 PM

I don't think Denver would trade for No. 19 until No. 19 was on the clock if that's what they would want to do.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-25-2016, 06:23 PM
I don't think Denver would trade for No. 19 until No. 19 was on the clock if that's what they would want to do.

That would seem to be so.

TXBRONC
04-25-2016, 06:35 PM
Why would they move up one spot?

18 would still put them ahead of the Broncos obviously that would be pre draft.

MOtorboat
04-25-2016, 06:40 PM
18 would still put them ahead of the Broncos obviously that would be predraft.

Denver won't make a pre draft trade specifically for a pick. If rumors are swirling around Denver moving up to nab Lynch and the Jets want to move up further, then they'd make the trade to get to 14 or 15 or 16 when that pick was on the clock and Denver then wouldn't make the trade to 19.

olathebroncofan
04-25-2016, 07:34 PM
If history is any indicator, if we trade up to pick a QB, that means we will have a HOF QB on our roster, and go to two more superbowl, and have quite a few exciting football games to watch.

I can live with that.

Simple Jaded
04-25-2016, 09:28 PM

The 2017 QB draft class is the single worst draft class in a long time, not a single starting QB on the horizon. They need to get a QB this season or they're ******.

TXBRONC
04-25-2016, 09:41 PM
The 2017 QB draft class is the single worst draft class in a long time, not a single starting QB on the horizon. They need to get a QB this season or they're ******.

Lancane mentioned that next year's quarterback crop looks pretty bad but, that is still a year away. That said, if Elway feels that there is a franchise quarterback in this draft that he get he should do it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-25-2016, 09:51 PM
Qb's come out of nowhere every year and shoot to the top of the draft board.....Cam Newton, Wentz, and even Mariota was not seen as a top 5 pick the year prior.
It's too early to analyze next year's qb's.

Simple Jaded
04-25-2016, 10:20 PM
Qb's come out of nowhere every year and shoot to the top of the draft board.....Cam Newton, Wentz, and even Mariota was not seen as a top 5 pick the year prior.
It's too early to analyze next year's qb's.

I agree, and I told Lancane the same thing TX just said, i just don't see it for that draft. Fwiw, even I had Wentz, Lynch and Blake Frohnapfel in my sig as early as July last year, NFL Draft Scout had them all ranked highly as Jr's, so they weren't too far below the radar.

Unless you wanna invest a premium pick in a zone-read project I haven't seen it this bad in a long time.

NightTerror218
04-25-2016, 10:55 PM
If history is any indicator, if we trade up to pick a QB, that means we will have a HOF QB on our roster, and go to two more superbowl, and have quite a few exciting football games to watch.

I can live with that.

Like tebow