PDA

View Full Version : What it cost Denver to host the Broncos Super Bowl victory parade

Denver Native (Carol)
04-22-2016, 08:17 PM
Denver's Super Bowl victory party for the Broncos in February racked up nearly $110,000 in costs for city coffers — but taxpayers ended up footing only about a third of that bill.

About $70,000 was kicked in by Visit Denver, a nonprofit that markets the city for conventions and tourism, according to a breakdown prepared by the mayor's office in response to The Denver Post's request.

That reduced the taxpayer tab from $109,018 to $39,018.

Separately, the city also spent $11,652 to send Mayor Michael Hancock and several aides to the game in Santa Clara, Calif.

The Feb. 9 parade and rally drew an estimated 1 million or more fans to downtown streets and Civic Center two days after the Broncos beat the Carolina Panthers.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_29802105/what-it-cost-denver-host-broncos-super-bowl

Shazam!
04-22-2016, 08:28 PM
I'd like to see tax revenue difference during the Broncos run through the playoffs this year as opposed to last year.

What a load of bull.

Davii
04-22-2016, 08:46 PM
I'd like to see tax revenue difference during the Broncos run through the playoffs this year as opposed to last year.

What a load of bull.

What are you questioning?

Denver Native (Carol)
04-22-2016, 09:25 PM
What are you questioning?

I was also confused by the post.

BroncoWave
04-22-2016, 09:51 PM
I think he is saying that Denver's run through the playoffs probably brought extra tax revenue to the city through sales of their gear, money made from the playoff games, etc, and that revenue likely exceeded whatever it cost to host the parade. That's my guess.

Simple Jaded
04-22-2016, 09:52 PM
Why does the Mayor have to go to the SB?

I blame Obama.

OrangeHoof
04-22-2016, 10:28 PM
Well worth it.

Davii
04-22-2016, 10:34 PM
I think he is saying that Denver's run through the playoffs probably brought extra tax revenue to the city through sales of their gear, money made from the playoff games, etc, and that revenue likely exceeded whatever it cost to host the parade. That's my guess.

The article said that. It says Visit Denver, the city's official marketing arm, feels they received more than a billion dollars in exposure alone and are very happy with their investment.

Shazam!
04-22-2016, 11:48 PM

Yes. I thought it was obvious. Sorry.

slim
04-23-2016, 12:42 AM
That money could have been used to help insane people use the wrong toilet.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-23-2016, 12:44 AM
That money could have been used to help insane people use the wrong toilet.

It's more fun to pee wherever you stand.

Joel
04-24-2016, 03:16 AM
$50,000 is peanuts anyway. Not for you or I, but definitely for any decent sized US city. Visiting fans probably left far more money in Denver when buying tickets, concessions and merchandise, in addition to hotels, food, stadium commutes and souvenirs. The national broadcast exposure of hosting a CCG, then literally parading a Lombardi Trophy and SB Championship team through the streets was just gravy.