PDA

View Full Version : Comcast makes TV service available without set-top box

Denver Native (Carol)
04-20-2016, 08:12 PM
Comcast Corp. fired back at the Federal Communications Commission's set-top box proposal by making its full TV lineup available on Roku devices and Samsung smart TVs for the first time, without requiring customers to lease its proprietary box.

The company launched a program Wednesday to partner with any and all device makers to offer the app more widely.

"We remain committed to giving our customers more choice in how, when and where they access their subscription," said Mark Hess, senior vice president in the Office of the Chief Technology Officer at Comcast Cable.

Comcast's move comes amid a heated debate raging in Washington over the merits of a recent push by the FCC and the White House to force operators to decouple their cable TV service from proprietary set-top boxes they lease to customers.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_29792471/comcast-makes-tv-service-available-without-set-top

DenBronx
04-20-2016, 08:47 PM
It's the wave of the future. Less hassle and mess. I have had Roku for years and love it.

olathebroncofan
04-20-2016, 09:20 PM
So can you dvr with a roku, or is all content basically on-demand. I'm clueless about the roku, but am becoming a little more intrigued.

Northman
04-21-2016, 06:56 AM
Roku is Beastly.

Timmy!
04-21-2016, 07:26 AM
Well, you're going to need broadband internet for it to work. Hey, guess where you can get that from?

#smartmarketing

Tned
04-21-2016, 07:44 AM
So can you dvr with a roku, or is all content basically on-demand. I'm clueless about the roku, but am becoming a little more intrigued.

No, it's a live streaming device.

Slick
04-21-2016, 09:05 AM
I think they wouldn't lose as any customers if they let you go a la carte. People don't want to pay for channels they don't watch.

Northman
04-21-2016, 09:29 AM
Well, you're going to need broadband internet for it to work. Hey, guess where you can get that from?

#smartmarketing

Verizon.

#NostraNorth

Northman
04-21-2016, 09:30 AM
I think they wouldn't lose as any customers if they let you go a la carte. People don't want to pay for channels they don't watch.

The wife and i have been screaming about this forever. What the hell am i going to do with 20 plus channels in spanish? I mean really....

BroncoJoe
04-21-2016, 09:38 AM

The wife and i have been screaming about this forever. What the hell am i going to do with 20 plus channels in spanish? I mean really....

It would cost more going a la carte. Channel packages are put together to keep the pricing down as much as possible. Providers have to pay certain channels fees to broadcast, and some are much higher than others, while some are free or very minimal cost. That's why they're packaged the way they are.

If everyone wanted The History Channel as an example, they would know it and charge a lot more in broadcasting fees to the provider than they do now.

Slick
04-21-2016, 09:53 AM
It would cost more going a la carte. Channel packages are put together to keep the pricing down as much as possible. Providers have to pay certain channels fees to broadcast, and some are much higher than others, while some are free or very minimal cost. That's why they're packaged the way they are.

If everyone wanted The History Channel as an example, they would know it and charge a lot more in broadcasting fees to the provider than they do now.

Comcast can't negotiate? Get on the phones Joe! Lower those prices!

OrangeHoof
04-21-2016, 10:28 AM
I dropped the video part of cable and have adapted to high-speed internet and Roku. The Roku device has some built-in memory but no DVR. If you want your programs recorded, you have to find a way to do it yourself (or subscribe to something like Hulu or Netflix where you can stream episodes later). For Sports TV, I've tried different things, including videotaping with a VCR, but not truly happy with any of them yet.

BroncoJoe
04-21-2016, 10:38 AM
Comcast can't negotiate? Get on the phones Joe! Lower those prices!

LOL. I'm pretty sure the people we have doing that are far better than I would be!

Dish is losing all the Viacom channels right now in Colorado because they can't come to a new agreement. Viacom wants more $$, and Dish doesn't want to pay the increase.

Northman
04-21-2016, 10:46 AM

Kind of funny because i dont pay for the THC with our basic cable package but yet on the Roku there is a History Channel App to where i can still watch any episodes that have aired on it such as Vikings and i dont have to pay anything at all. lol

BroncoJoe
04-21-2016, 10:47 AM
Kind of funny because i dont pay for the THC with our basic cable package but yet on the Roku there is a History Channel App to where i can still watch any episodes that have aired on it such as Vikings and i dont have to pay anything at all. lol

Enjoy it while you can. Nothing is free.

Timmy!
04-21-2016, 02:50 PM
Enjoy it while you can. Nothing is free.

Except my setup :D

BroncoJoe
04-21-2016, 02:55 PM
Except my setup :D

And mine! :D

DenBronx
04-21-2016, 03:11 PM

No need for a DVR unless it's live TV and I believe there are ways to set that up but you would have to buy your own equipment. The idea of Roku is that you can stream anything you want when you want it. Kind of like an on demand feature.

But have really fast Internet otherwise it's not a good idea. And you can purchase what you want seperate like HBO, Showtime, Starz or ESPN....then just drop it after you have seen all you want and go onto something else.

I am pretty lucky bc I get it all free from sharing a family members code. He works for Verizon and gets everything for me. But for those that dont have that, I believe there are packages you can buy for about $19 a month that comes with ESPN, Disney, TNT and all sorts of other channels. Then just add in the movie channels you want for aroud $9 a month.

But team up with a friend or family member and just share log in info with everyone.

BroncoJoe
04-21-2016, 03:26 PM
No need for a DVR unless it's live TV and I believe there are ways to set that up but you would have to buy your own equipment. The idea of Roku is that you can stream anything you want when you want it. Kind of like an on demand feature.

But have really fast Internet otherwise it's not a good idea. And you can purchase what you want seperate like HBO, Showtime, Starz or ESPN....then just drop it after you have seen all you want and go onto something else.

I am pretty lucky bc I get it all free from sharing a family members code. He works for Verizon and gets everything for me. But for those that dont have that, I believe there are packages you can buy for about $19 a month that comes with ESPN, Disney, TNT and all sorts of other channels. Then just add in the movie channels you want for aroud $9 a month.

But team up with a friend or family member and just share log in info with everyone.

So, basically you're a thief?

DenBronx
04-21-2016, 06:59 PM

So, basically you're a thief?

Yeah basically I am right now. Go ahead and call the cops.

OrangeHoof
04-21-2016, 07:13 PM
I forgot to mention that many programs through Roku are encrypted so you can't record them however I use the Roku1 which is far less powerful but allows you to connect through RCA jacks which can unencrypt the signal so you can run it to your VCR or DVD recorder.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-21-2016, 07:24 PM
https://www.sling.com/?cvosrc=Prospecting.Direct.DS_SP_PRO_M_DBD_ESPNNBA _NBAREGS_320x050&cvo_adid=27423095&cvo_cid=495435&utm_source=directbuy&utm_medium=ESPNASR&utm_campaign=NBAREGS

I'm thinking about doing this and getting a TiVo.

olathebroncofan
04-21-2016, 10:35 PM

Ok. I understand it better now. I might look into it further. Thanks for the detailed explanation.