PDA

View Full Version : A Super Bowl Safari (MMQB)

VonDoom
04-19-2016, 10:42 AM
Cool first hand account of DeMarcus Ware and Demaryius Thomas on a trip to Africa after winning the Super Bowl:

THOMAS: Von [Miller] didn’t think we would go at all. He kept saying, ‘You know y’all ain’t going if we win, there will be too much going on here.’ He kept putting it in our face like, ‘You know y’all ain’t going to go.’ A couple other guys were talking about going to the NBA All-Star game, and I was like, I have a lot of chances to do that later, I’m going to go South Africa.

WARE: If we had lost the Super Bowl, we would not have gone. But that wasn’t going to happen. We had the entire trip booked by December. We had the cancelation deal so you can get your refund all set up. Every single thing we wanted to do to was booked, and we said to ourselves, ‘Hey, we did a lot of planning for this trip so we have to make sure we push through it and get this Super Bowl.’ As soon as the clock ran out in Santa Clara, Demaryius and I found each other on the field. Other guys were saying to each other, ‘Hey we won the Super Bowl!’ but it’s funny, me and Demaryius looked at each other and said, ‘Hey, man we’re going to Africa!’

WARE: And that wasn’t even our craziest animal experience. When we first got there, they told us to make sure to lock the door to your room because if you don’t, the baboons will open up your door and go and get your cookies. So I’m like, alright, cool. I was getting a massage in my room one of the days and I didn’t lock the door. All of a sudden during the massage, the masseuse, she yells, ‘GET OUT!’ And I look up and see a baboon as big as me, standing in the room on his four legs. And he was screeching out really loud, and baring his big huge long fangs, bigger than a lion’s fangs. He jumps up and tries to grab a cookie and she gets a pillow and throws it at him and he takes off running. She’s like, ‘That baboon never listens to me.’ It was like a normal day for her. She wasn’t even intimidated, but I was intimidated, that thing was huge! He was like my size! Then, about five minutes later, he comes up and knocks on the door again. He knocks on the door like a human! I’m like, are you freaking kidding me? And for the three days after that, he knocked on the door every day at the same time.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/19/nfl-super-bowl-denver-broncos-demarcus-ware-demaryius-thomas-safari-south-africa

BroncoJoe
04-19-2016, 11:00 AM
I would love to visit Africa. Especially after seeing the movie Blended.

:shocked:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-19-2016, 11:35 AM
That's pretty cool. I follow Ware on Facebook. He shared some pretty cool pictures.

I'm glad DT spent some time with him right after the Superbowl. Having a guy like Ware in the locker room is invaluable.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-19-2016, 04:42 PM
from article:

WARE: Demaryius is like a younger brother to me, so it was natural for us to plan a trip like this together. During the season we had something to look forward to because every week we would think of some type of adventure or something that we could do in Africa. But we also decided that the only way we would go on this trip is if we won the Super Bowl. We said, if we win that Super Bowl, then we’ve earned another prize, a trip to Africa.

THOMAS: When we get in the boat to go fishing, I’m already nervous because I can’t swim and I don’t like being around a lot of water. But I’m acting cool because D Ware says it’s going to be fine, nothing is going to happen. I had no idea we had to ride 40 miles before we even started fishing! So we’re on boat for an hour before we even start doing anything and the waves are something real. The water on the left and right of the boat was higher than us and I’m like damn, this ain’t going to be good. You know the feeling of driving over a hill in a car? My stomach was dropping like that, over and over, so I was just trying to keep my stomach tight. And then sure enough, the first person to get sick is D Ware and I’m like uh-huh...

WARE: I said to Demaryius, ‘I’m about to give it up!’ I run over to the side of the boat and throw up. I come back to the middle of the boat and I look at Demaryius and I’m just watching him like, he’s going to throw up any minute. And then all of a sudden he looks at me and he’s like, ‘OH!’ And he takes off and goes on the side of the boat.

THOMAS: D Ware caught one fish and then it was my turn, but I made him catch the second one because by that point, I was like, ‘No bro, I’m good.’ I was just sitting there holding my stomach. We sat out there for like three or four hours. At one point I had a bucket because every 20 minutes I was going again. I was so shaky once I came back, and I was like, man I’m not going out on the water again for a long time. I ain’t playing with that again.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/19/nfl-super-bowl-denver-broncos-demarcus-ware-demaryius-thomas-safari-south-africa

A great article - thanks for posting VonDoom. Loved reading about the baboon coming in DeMarcus' room