Week 8 - vs Chargers
Week 9 - at Raiders (SNF)
Week 10 - at Saints
Week 11 - Bye
Week 12 - vs Chiefs
Week 13 - at Jaguars
Week 14 - at Titans
Week 15 - vs Patriots
Week 16 - at Chiefs (SNF - Christmas night)
Week 17 - vs Raiders

Call me crazy, but I love the schedule release day. I will update this when it is announced but I wanted to start this thread, since leaks will probably happen during the day tomorrow, especially as it relates to our opening night game defending our WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.

BroncoWave
04-13-2016, 09:03 PM
I think it's just about a lock we play Houston for the kickoff game with the Brock storyline. Would be pretty surprised if it's anyone else.

VonDoom
04-13-2016, 09:07 PM
I think it's just about a lock we play Houston for the kickoff game with the Brock storyline. Would be pretty surprised if it's anyone else.

I would LOVE this. We have a lot of very appealing home games, though, so I don't think we can assume anything yet. If I had to guess, I'd say Houston would be the likeliest choice, however.

MOtorboat
04-13-2016, 09:13 PM
You're crazy.

BroncoWave
04-13-2016, 09:14 PM
You're crazy.

Like you don't get a stiffy for the schedule release. :D

MOtorboat
04-13-2016, 09:16 PM
Like you don't get a stiffy for the schedule release. :D

Not really. I thought I'd have some fun with him since he said, "call me crazy."

Magnificent Seven
04-13-2016, 09:39 PM
I have feelings that Broncos will play against either Houston or Oakland.

Houston: Big Payback! Broncos defense vs. Brock Osweiler

Oakland: Grudge Match! Raiders beat us at home last year.

VonDoom
04-13-2016, 09:46 PM
You're crazy.

Well, I'm certainly not watching the three hour NFL Network special on the release, that's for sure.

olathebroncofan
04-14-2016, 03:59 AM
My vote is the Carolina game.

Same result pointswise. 24-10

Sanchez begins to be compared to Manning.

Follow that up with a Houston storyline...the back up vs the back up.

We've got some great home games., but can Sanchez hold up against some of those defenses? Pats, Panthers, Texans. Raiders, chiefs, burfict,

BroncoWave
04-14-2016, 06:42 AM
I'd be very, very surprised if Carolina was the week 1 opponent.

Tned
04-14-2016, 07:21 AM
I'd be very, very surprised if Carolina was the week 1 opponent.

Agreed. I think that opportunity has been there before, and the NFL usually avoids it. Particularly this year, with the Broncos QB situation being so unknown and the team possibly needing some time to develop, I wouldn't think the NFL would want to risk building that up as a week one game and then having the Broncos blown out.

I'm guessing Broncos/Panthers will be a prime time game near the middle of the season.

BroncoWave
04-14-2016, 07:32 AM
Agreed. I think that opportunity has been there before, and the NFL usually avoids it. Particularly this year, with the Broncos QB situation being so unknown and the team possibly needing some time to develop, I wouldn't think the NFL would want to risk building that up as a week one game and then having the Broncos blown out.

I'm guessing Broncos/Panthers will be a prime time game near the middle of the season.

Yeah, they had a chance to do it two years ago with Denver-Seattle and didn't. That would just be too big of a distraction in a game that is supposed to celebrate the Super Bowl champs. Just this year in baseball they opened up with Mets-Royals and the Royals manager was talking about how having the Mets have to watch them raise their championship banner and such actually made the moment less enjoyable and kinda weird.

Also, this will be one of only two chances Fox gets all season to show the Broncos so they will likely be fighting hard for this game.

Tned
04-14-2016, 07:44 AM
Yeah, they had a chance to do it two years ago with Denver-Seattle and didn't. That would just be too big of a distraction in a game that is supposed to celebrate the Super Bowl champs. Just this year in baseball they opened up with Mets-Royals and the Royals manager was talking about how having the Mets have to watch them raise their championship banner and such actually made the moment less enjoyable and kinda weird.

Also, this will be one of only two chances Fox gets all season to show the Broncos so they will likely be fighting hard for this game.

Good point on Fox. As it's an NFC visitor to Denver, Fox will have that game if it isn't a prime time game. That's going to be tough. I'm sure the NFL will want that to be a prime time game and not just Fox making it one of their national games. However, you are probably right that Fox will push hard for it.

I guess we'll find out soon.

VonDoom
04-14-2016, 07:55 AM

Fox has had to give up some Bronco games in recent years because they ended up being prime time games. I think the same happens this year with that Panthers game - I smell a Sunday nighter there.

I agree with your point though - I did not want the Broncos/Seahawks game to open the season two years ago, and I feel kind of the same way this year, even though the shoe is on the other foot. I think the Patriots would be another intriguing first game, but the potential Brady suspension is still out there. Not sure the league wants Sanchez/Garropolo to open the year.

And as a Mets fan, it was odd to watch that opening series this year. But that schedule was made in advance of the playoffs, so it just turned out to be a weird coincidence.

Buff
04-14-2016, 10:23 AM
I assume we'll play the Panthers, Patriots or Texans on Thursday night to open.

OrangeHoof
04-14-2016, 11:54 AM
I assume we'll play the Panthers, Patriots or Texans on Thursday night to open.

Yes, and I think it will be the Patriots. They played two high-rated games last year. It would make the most sense. A Super Bowl rematch? I'm not sure they want it that early in the season but an AFCCG rematch would certainly fir recent trends. An Osweiler vs Broncos game? I don't think it would generate national buzz as much as Brady vs Broncos.

tomjonesrocks
04-14-2016, 01:08 PM
Really hoping week 1 isn't Houston for personal reasons which probably means it will be Houston.

Magnificent Seven
04-14-2016, 01:24 PM
I think they didn't pick Patriots because they played on opening night last year. I don't think they will bring Patriots back on opening night.

BroncoWave
04-14-2016, 01:28 PM
Yes, and I think it will be the Patriots. They played two high-rated games last year. It would make the most sense. A Super Bowl rematch? I'm not sure they want it that early in the season but an AFCCG rematch would certainly fir recent trends. An Osweiler vs Broncos game? I don't think it would generate national buzz as much as Brady vs Broncos.

There is still a decent chance Brady could be suspended for that game. Don't know if the NFL wants to take that chance.

VonDoom
04-14-2016, 03:48 PM
Rumors I've seen on Reddit so far -

Week 1 against the Texans
Week 6 SNF against the Panthers
Week 15 on Christmas Day against the Patriots

... whether these are true or not, I kind of hate games on Christmas Day. I assume they shift most games to Christmas Eve as they did the last time this was an issue (2011, I believe) but even then, they had a couple on the actual day. Makes it really hard to find the time to watch live, at least for me.

VonDoom
04-14-2016, 03:50 PM
Then again, they are rumors for a reason. Look at this exchange:

Emmanuel Sanders ‏@ESanders_10 9m9 minutes ago

Schedule release tonight... Hmmmm �� Imma take a wild guess that we open up against the Texans.

trey wingo Verified account
‏@wingoz

trey wingo Retweeted Emmanuel Sanders

That's my guess too

Rich Eisen Verified account
‏@richeisen

Rich Eisen Retweeted trey wingo

Nope.

Buff
04-14-2016, 03:53 PM
Rumors I've seen on Reddit so far -

Week 1 against the Texans
Week 6 SNF against the Panthers
Week 15 on Christmas Day against the Patriots

... whether these are true or not, I kind of hate games on Christmas Day. I assume they shift most games to Christmas Eve as they did the last time this was an issue (2011, I believe) but even then, they had a couple on the actual day. Makes it really hard to find the time to watch live, at least for me.

I love games on Christmas day. I hate that the NBA has claimed ownership over that holiday, as I always have zero interest in watching early regular season NBA basketball.

VonDoom
04-14-2016, 03:55 PM
I love games on Christmas day. I hate that the NBA has claimed ownership over that holiday, as I always have zero interest in watching early regular season NBA basketball.

I agree with the NBA part, which is why I skip those entirely. I'm just not often home that day and there's too much other stuff going on. Thanksgiving on the other hand ...

Magnificent Seven
04-14-2016, 04:32 PM
It will be Broncos vs. Panthers. Super Bowl Rematch

Vic J Lombardi XXI ‏@VicLombardi 11m11 minutes ago
Broncos-Panthers to open the season. H-W just reported it on our radio show so you know it's true.

BroncoWave
04-14-2016, 04:37 PM
Welp, chalk that one up to another example of BTB being wrong.

VonDoom
04-14-2016, 04:44 PM
I'm kind of surprised but that game will be huge

slim
04-14-2016, 04:46 PM
Welp, chalk that one up to another example of BTB being wrong.

We are running out of chalk

tubby
04-14-2016, 04:48 PM
It will be Broncos vs. Panthers. Super Bowl Rematch.

I don't like it

Timmy!
04-14-2016, 04:52 PM
I don't like it

Neither does Cam.

BroncoJoe
04-14-2016, 04:58 PM
So, the final game of last year, and the first game of this year are the same teams?

Seems kind of stupid to me. With our unknown at QB, maybe they want the Panthers to have some revenge?

VonDoom
04-14-2016, 05:02 PM
Sounds like Texans host the Bears week one. So Osweiler against Fox, I suppose

Magnificent Seven
04-14-2016, 05:12 PM
It will be Broncos vs. Panthers. Super Bowl Rematch

Vic J Lombardi XXI ‏@VicLombardi 11m11 minutes ago
Broncos-Panthers to open the season. H-W just reported it on our radio show so you know it's true.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25554957/report-panthers-at-broncos-will-kick-off-the-2016-nfl-season

Report: Panthers at Broncos will kick off the 2016 NFL season

The upcoming NFL season is going to kick off with a Super Bowl rematch. According to the Charlotte Observer, the Broncos will host the Panthers in the first regular season game of the 2016 season.

Since 2004, the defending Super Bowl champion has annually hosted the first game of the following season. That honor went to the Broncos after they beat the Panthers 24-10 in Super Bowl 50.

There was a strong belief that the the NFL would send Brock Osweiler and the Texans to Denver for the regular season opener, but obviously, that didn't happen. The league was probably afraid the Broncos defense would terrorized the Texans' new starting quarterback.

Anyway, the Super Bowl 50 rematch will be played on Thursday, Sept. 8 at Sports Authority Field in Denver. The primetime game will be televised by NBC.

The game between the Broncos and Panthers marks the first time ever that the NFL has opened a season with a Super Bowl rematch.

Although this game is a Super Bowl rematch, it won't exactly be a rematch, because the Broncos have undergone some major changes since beating the Panthers in February.

For one, Denver has no clue who its starting quarterback will be on Sept. 8.

With Peyton Manning out of football for good and Osweiler in Houston, Mark Sanchez is the only viable starter currently on the Broncos' roster. The Broncos defense also took a hit this offseason when defensive lineman Malik Jackson left for Jacksonville.

The 2016 NFL schedule is set to be released at 8 p.m. ET. However, there's always leaks, and if you're interested in reading about those leaks, be sure to follow our schedule-release live blog here.

VonDoom
04-14-2016, 05:14 PM
I'm hearing Broncos/Falcons week five. I think that would be October 9

Dzone
04-14-2016, 05:15 PM
Nice to get newton in here to kick off the season. Cam Newton vs Tyrod Taylor. Its going to be a shootout

VonDoom
04-14-2016, 06:11 PM
Looks like the revenge game against Brock will be week 7 on MNF, October 24

DenBronx
04-14-2016, 06:29 PM
I don't really like playing the Pats so late in the season. I also dislike playing Carolina on opening night. Their fans and Cam don't deserve that game.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-14-2016, 06:36 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 8m

Broncos will play Christmas night at KC on NBC, according to NBC source. One of only two NFL games on Christmas. #9news #9sports

VonDoom
04-14-2016, 06:39 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 8m

Broncos will play Christmas night at KC on NBC, according to NBC source. One of only two NFL games on Christmas. #9news #9sports

I can live with primetime on Christmas - hopefully I'll be done with family stuff by then and can enjoy a hate filled rivalry game.

VonDoom
04-14-2016, 06:43 PM
Looks like the last three games are vs Patriots, at Chiefs, vs Raiders. Pretty hard road to finish up. We've played the AFC West doormat in week 17 for like five years in a row - I can't see that being the case this year.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-14-2016, 06:56 PM
from the fan forum on the Panthers website:

Panthers vs Denver on opening Thursday night!

I absolutely can't wait to get revenge! Reported by Espn

Not surprised they did that. Can't wait. First stop on the road to Super Bowl LI!

Haha, the Broncos are gonna get roasted. They are a bunch of Sore winners, act like you have won something before.

http://boards.panthers.com/threads/5903-Panthers-vs-Denver-on-opening-Thursday-night!

VonDoom
04-14-2016, 07:02 PM
Okay, first post is updated with the complete schedule. I didn't put down times, but it looks like FOUR early starts (11:00 am for you locals, 1:00 for us here in NY) and FIVE primetime games.

olathebroncofan
04-14-2016, 07:03 PM
Called it!

weazel
04-14-2016, 07:03 PM
http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2016/REG/BRONCOS

VonDoom
04-14-2016, 07:05 PM
https://twitter.com/TroyRenck/status/720764190533640192

tomjonesrocks
04-14-2016, 07:10 PM
Houston Monday night Oct 24 in Denver. Very high probability I'll be in the crowd for that.

Timmy!
04-14-2016, 07:11 PM
Christmas and new years day. Like my .bac will need any help. Thanks NFL.....

Denver Native (Carol)
04-14-2016, 07:34 PM
Emmanuel Sanders ‏@ESanders_10 8m

🅰 market. No JV games over here

Patrick Smyth
‏@psmyth12

For the 5th year in a row, the Broncos will play at least five nationally televised games in 2016.

VonDoom
04-14-2016, 08:04 PM
All three of our divisional road games are night games. That's pretty odd, I'd say.

VonDoom
04-14-2016, 08:09 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 37m37 minutes ago

#Broncos LB Brandon Marshall on facing #Houston QB Brock Osweiler "I hope he's ready.. Cuz we're coming for him." .... I love it

OrangeHoof
04-14-2016, 08:35 PM
First blush, I see an 11-5 season although we need to shore up some places.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-14-2016, 08:43 PM
Cameron Newton ‏@CameronNewton 3h

��THÖÜGHTthisWAScütë @Millerlite40 •lookinLOOK1Nlookin…LOOK1NforRêVÊÊÊNGê• -SEPT.8th
#iWmW… https://www.instagram.com/p/BEMpSLwETEC/

Denver Native (Carol)
04-14-2016, 09:48 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — The Broncos' 2016 schedule, which begins with a Super Bowl rematch against the Carolina Panthers, has drawn a lot of attention as a season full of mouth-watering matchups, and Executive Vice President of Football Operations/General Manager John Elway shares the same enthusiasm.

"I think it's a great schedule for our fans. If you look at the home schedule, there are a lot of great football teams coming in," Elway said Thursday. "The bye week falls well for us—late in the year. We have kind of a semi-bye when we have San Diego on Thursday night (Week 6). We have Houston on the following Monday night, so we have a break there. I think it's a good schedule. The bottom line is you have to play them as they come anyway. It's always nice to have it out though to see what the upcoming year looks like."

The other prime-time games — against Oakland, San Diego, Kansas City and Houston — drew his eye, as well.

Naturally, the Monday-night game against the Texans raises an interest level not only because it's a battle between two AFC playoff teams, but because former Broncos QB Brock Osweiler is expected to be under center for Houston.

rest - plus video - Kubes talking about the schedule
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/John-Elway-eyes-prime-time-matchups-late-division-run-for-2016-schedule/5024f8cf-c891-48f6-b3a7-91566276ddd6

Dapper Dan
04-14-2016, 10:07 PM
I like it. The Cincy game and Tennessee games are far apart. That works out better for me.

dogfish
04-14-2016, 10:50 PM
hope carolina enjoys watching us raise our banner. . . anybody know when single game tickets go on sale?

tomjonesrocks
04-14-2016, 10:55 PM
hope carolina enjoys watching us raise our banner. . . anybody know when single game tickets go on sale?

It's early but I think we go 0-3 to start the season.

#panthers #colts #bengals #hottake

dogfish
04-14-2016, 11:02 PM
It's early but I think we go 0-3 to start the season.

#panthers #colts #bengals #hottake

i wouldn't expect anything less of ya, homie. . . :D

Timmy!
04-15-2016, 01:19 AM
i wouldn't expect anything less of ya, homie. . . :D

I was gonna say something but I'd be told to eat a dick :heh:

dogfish
04-15-2016, 01:27 AM
I was gonna say something but I'd be told to eat a dick :heh:

it's tradition!

Timmy!
04-15-2016, 01:42 AM
it's tradition!

We won a Superbowl gawd damnit!

VonDoom
04-15-2016, 07:50 AM
Peter King's look at how the schedule was made:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/04/14/2016-nfl-schedule-release

Denver Native (Carol)
04-15-2016, 09:01 AM
from article:

It is the first Super Bowl rematch on opening weekend since 1970, when Minnesota beat champion Kansas City 27-10.

"It's exciting for our players to compete on a national stage," Panthers coach Ron Rivera said. "We have earned the right to be in the spotlight and we have to take advantage of it."

http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/sports/2016/04/15/nfl-season-opens-with-super-bowl-rematchminus-peyton-manning/

VonDoom
04-15-2016, 09:32 AM
Barnwell's analysis of the schedule. I'm highlighting teams that interest us:

Compare that to the Chiefs, who play on Sundays 15 out of the 16 possible times this season. The only time they stray from their lovely course is to sneak out for a Thursday night contest against the Raiders in Week 14. Kansas City is the only team in the league to avoid facing two or more short weeks this year. The average team is up against 2.6 short weeks in 2016, so that's a nice hidden advantage for Kansas City.

Bruce Irvin, who left the Seahawks but stayed on the West Coast when he signed with the Raiders, had only bad things to say about his new team's slate of contests. Primarily, that was because of what the league will ask Oakland to do in early mornings. The Raiders will play five games in the early-afternoon slot this season, a time zone that will feel to the up-and-coming team from the West like it's 10 a.m. That includes three trips East to start the season over a four-week stretch, including games against the Saints, Titans and Ravens. All five of the Raiders' early road games fall in the first half of their schedule.

The team on the opposite side of the spectrum is Oakland. The Raiders face the league's second-easiest schedule (0.449) through Week 8 thanks to matchups against the Titans, Ravens, Chargers and Jags. The schedule turns on a Week 9 matchup against the Broncos, though, and gets worse thereafter. Oakland has four games against playoff teams in the second half, including both participants in last year's Super Bowl. Their average opponent from Week 9 forward has a projected Pythagorean winning percentage of 0.556. Only the 49ers will face a tougher average opponent over that time frame.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/schedulereleasex160415/winners-losers-2016-nfl-schedule

Buff
04-15-2016, 10:01 AM
I'm going to be on a business trip for the Monday night game against the Texans - one more reason why I hate non-Sunday games.

Christmas night against the Chiefs will be cool. I love the late week 11 bye week.

Only one game on Fox is interesting.

slim
04-15-2016, 10:03 AM
4 11am starts.

I do not care for that

BroncoJoe
04-15-2016, 10:13 AM
I'm going to be on a business trip for the Monday night game against the Texans - one more reason why I hate non-Sunday games.

Christmas night against the Chiefs will be cool. I love the late week 11 bye week.

I loved those times when I traveled. In the comfort of your secluded room. I'd guess you don't like distractions (like me) while your watching. I'd always hit a liquor store on my way back to the hotel and fill the bathroom sink with ice.

Buff
04-15-2016, 10:15 AM
I loved those times when I traveled. In the comfort of your secluded room. I'd guess you don't like distractions (like me) while your watching. I'd always hit a liquor store on my way back to the hotel and fill the bathroom sink with ice.

I have evening commitments that night. Otherwise it would be a non-issue and I'd be happy to watch in the seclusion of my hotel room.

BroncoJoe
04-15-2016, 10:20 AM
I have evening commitments that night. Otherwise it would be a non-issue and I'd be happy to watch in the seclusion of my hotel room.

Pretend you're not feeling well.

OrangeHoof
04-15-2016, 10:27 AM
4 11am starts.

I do not care for that

There are flex schedules now. If the Broncos are still a headliner, there's always a chance the game will be moved to the late game or to Sunday night.

VonDoom
04-15-2016, 10:31 AM
There are flex schedules now. If the Broncos are still a headliner, there's always a chance the game will be moved to the late game or to Sunday night.

That starts mid-year sometime, so that rules out moving the Bengals game in week three. Maybe the Saints game. I doubt Broncos/Jaguars or Broncos/Titans will be a marquee matchup that they want to flex later.

VonDoom
04-15-2016, 10:32 AM

Unless they cross flexed games, there were only two possible games on Fox anyway, the Panthers and Falcons. I'm sure Fox wanted the Panthers game, but the NFL wanted that to be the opener, obviously.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-15-2016, 12:12 PM
That starts mid-year sometime, so that rules out moving the Bengals game in week three. Maybe the Saints game. I doubt Broncos/Jaguars or Broncos/Titans will be a marquee matchup that they want to flex later.

Here’s a look at the NFL’s flex scheduling rules knowing if Buffalo is in contention in the second half of the season they could see a game moved to prime time.

Flexible scheduling will be used in Weeks 10-15 and 17. Additionally, in Weeks 5-9, flexible scheduling may be used in no more than two weeks.

In Weeks 5-15, the schedule lists the games tentatively set for Sunday Night Football on NBC. Only Sunday afternoon games are eligible to be moved to Sunday night, in which case the tentatively scheduled Sunday night game would be moved to an afternoon start time.

Flexible scheduling will not be applied to games airing on Thursday, Saturday or Monday nights.

A flexible scheduling move would be announced at least 12 days before the game.

For Week 17, the Sunday night game will be announced no later than six days prior to January 1.

The schedule does not list a Sunday night game in Week 17, but an afternoon game with playoff implications will be moved to that time slot.

The reason the Week 16 games are not open to flex scheduling is because that is Christmas weekend.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2016/04/14/the-nfl-flex-scheduling-rules/

Timmy!
04-15-2016, 12:14 PM
4 11am starts.

I do not care for that

^this.

I'm pretty much useless come 4pm on those days.

MOtorboat
04-15-2016, 01:41 PM

They move start times from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and vice versa throughout the season. Flex scheduling only applies to Sunday night games.

Buff
04-15-2016, 01:43 PM
They move start times from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. and vice versa throughout the season. Flex scheduling only applies to Sunday night games.

Actually every bit of information in this post is wrong. Flex scheduling starts mid-season (week 5), and it applies to all games.

slim
04-15-2016, 01:44 PM
Well this is awkward.

The Glue Factory
04-15-2016, 01:45 PM

Oh thank God Almighty!!! I **HATE** watching Fox. They can never get their sound right (except once but they rectified that by screwing it up half way through the 1st quarter.) Always quiet even when my TV is all the way up I can barely hear it.

BroncoJoe
04-15-2016, 01:56 PM
Well this is awkward.

* Takes a step backwards, remains silent and simply observes.

Buff
04-15-2016, 02:02 PM
It's not his birthday anymore... Kid gloves are off!

tubby
04-15-2016, 02:14 PM
* Takes a step backwards, remains silent and simply observes.

* cracks beer, crosses legs

MOtorboat
04-15-2016, 02:19 PM
Actually every bit of information in this post is wrong. Flex scheduling starts mid-season (week 5), and it applies to all games.

Flex scheduling only applies to Sunday night games.

http://www.nfl.com/flexible-schedules

Allows teams to play their way onto the Sunday night schedule

Sunday afternoon games, as in the past, can still be moved between 1:00 and 4:05 or 4:25 p.m. ET.

So you were saying?

Buff
04-15-2016, 02:28 PM
Flex scheduling only applies to Sunday night games.

http://www.nfl.com/flexible-schedules

So you were saying?

Begins Sunday of Week 5

For example, a game scheduled for a Sunday could move from a 1:00 p.m. ET kickoff to an 8:15 p.m. start, but the change would be made and announced no later than the prior Tuesday, 12 days prior. Sunday afternoon games, as in the past, can still be moved between 1:00 and 4:05 or 4:25 p.m. ET.

Timmy!
04-15-2016, 02:28 PM
Down goes Buffalo! Down goes Buffalo!

tubby
04-15-2016, 02:33 PM
Buff just gave MO a piledriver.

BroncoJoe
04-15-2016, 02:41 PM
:popcorn:

I love popcorn.

Poet
04-15-2016, 02:44 PM
Week 1 - vs Panthers (TNF)
Week 2 - vs Colts
Week 3 - at Bengals
Week 4 - at Buccaneers
Week 5 - vs Falcons
Week 6 - at Chargers (TNF)
Week 7 - vs Texans (MNF)
Week 8 - vs Chargers
Week 9 - at Raiders (SNF)
Week 10 - at Saints
Week 11 - Bye
Week 12 - vs Chiefs
Week 13 - at Jaguars
Week 14 - at Titans
Week 15 - vs Patriots
Week 16 - at Chiefs (SNF - Christmas night)
Week 17 - vs Raiders

Call me crazy, but I love the schedule release day. I will update this when it is announced but I wanted to start this thread, since leaks will probably happen during the day tomorrow, especially as it relates to our opening night game defending our WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.

12-4

BroncoJoe
04-15-2016, 02:47 PM
12-4

I can't even put a W/L prediction together until we know more about the QB situation.

MOtorboat
04-15-2016, 02:55 PM
I can't even put a W/L prediction together until we know more about the QB situation.

Where we're going, we don't need quarterbacks.

BroncoJoe
04-15-2016, 02:56 PM
where we're going, we don't need quarterbacks.

sanchez!!!!!

Poet
04-15-2016, 03:01 PM

19-0

BroncoJoe
04-15-2016, 03:04 PM
19-0

Well, that's obvious. It's my prediction every year.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/JoeArthur/Fireworks-01-june.gif http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/JoeArthur/Trophy-01-june.gif http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/JoeArthur/Fireworks-02-june.gif

VonDoom
04-15-2016, 03:08 PM

I agree with this in general, and we really have no idea if any of the teams we play will take a big step forward (or back). On paper, though, I don't like the first three games or the last three games lumped together. Those middle games look quite nice, though, at least as of now.

BroncoJoe
04-15-2016, 03:13 PM
Where we're going, we don't need quarterbacks.

PS - Wave will be totally confused by this statement.

slim
04-15-2016, 03:27 PM
Great Scott!

BroncoWave
04-15-2016, 03:46 PM
PS - Wave will be totally confused by this statement.

PS - gfy

Davii
04-15-2016, 04:21 PM
I don't like the fact we start with the Panthers.

slim
04-15-2016, 04:21 PM
I don't like the fact we start with the Panthers.

Why not?

Davii
04-15-2016, 04:27 PM
Why not?

I would rather see a Steelers or Pats rematch or something.

BroncoWave
04-15-2016, 04:40 PM
I don't like it either. They will be channeling their anger all offseason toward this game. They definitely won't be going in overconfident like they did the super bowl. I would have way rather had Brock to beat up on in week 1.

BroncoWave
04-15-2016, 04:40 PM
I would rather see a Steelers or Pats rematch or something.

Well we don't play the Steelers this year so that would have been kinda difficult. :D

Magnificent Seven
04-15-2016, 08:35 PM
I would like to share my Conspiracy Theory on three prime time games. (Away games: SD, KC, and OAK)

For last five seasons, Broncos have won 5th straight AFC West title. There is no team has won 6th straight AFC West Title since 1960. Denver Broncos have a high chance to claim 6th straight AFC West title this season and Broncos could be the first team to claim the 6th title in AFC West history.

My point is that NFL is trying to give Broncos more challenges to get that 6th title.

Bottom line... they are testing on Broncos.

Davii
04-15-2016, 08:46 PM
I would like to share my Conspiracy Theory on three prime time games. (Away games: SD, KC, and OAK)

For last five seasons, Broncos have won 5th straight AFC West title. There is no team has won 6th straight AFC West Title since 1960. Denver Broncos have a high chance to claim 6th straight AFC West title this season and Broncos could be the first team to claim the 6th title in AFC West history.

My point is that NFL is trying to give Broncos more challenges to get that 6th title.

Bottom line... they are testing on Broncos.

I don't understand, we have to play those games every year. Is the conspiracy that they happen to be prime time?

Magnificent Seven
04-16-2016, 01:32 AM
I don't understand, we have to play those games every year. Is the conspiracy that they happen to be prime time?

Yes. Broncos should deserve more primetime home games because they are champions. Broncos have 2 home games and 3 away games. It is weird to have primetime games against all 3 AFC West teams. I suspect that they wanted to test on Broncos' strength or created a roadblock for another AFC West title because Broncos have won 5th straight AFC West title.

OrangeHoof
04-16-2016, 01:49 AM
The NFL usually toughens up the schedule for defending champs and the defending champs often play the following season fat and hungover anyway. I don't think the league did any scheduling tricks against the Broncos this year that they haven't already sprung on past champions.

As for the Steelers, they will have to play on both Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. That's got to suck for their families. I'd say that's worse than anything the league is throwing at us.

MOtorboat
04-16-2016, 02:29 AM
The NFL usually toughens up the schedule for defending champs and the defending champs often play the following season fat and hungover anyway. I don't think the league did any scheduling tricks against the Broncos this year that they haven't already sprung on past champions.

As for the Steelers, they will have to play on both Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. That's got to suck for their families. I'd say that's worse than anything the league is throwing at us.

What scheduling tricks are you talking about? Literally 14 games a year are set in stone.

Dapper Dan
04-16-2016, 05:55 AM

Lol. Yeah. That must suck. Never mind that I make chump change and work Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years. :lol:

OrangeHoof
04-16-2016, 06:59 AM
What scheduling tricks are you talking about? Literally 14 games a year are set in stone.

But not the order they are set in, MOtormouth. It matters who you play after a short week or who are coming off their bye week or who plays in 95-degree heat in September or sub-zero cold in December. Throw me some Buccaneers and Jaguars when I need a light week after facing the Patriots or Ravens. Don't load me up with five road games in six weeks plus a game in London. There is mucho the NFL can do to make a schedule easy or hard, all in how they tweak those "set-in-stone" games.

MOtorboat
04-16-2016, 11:41 AM
But not the order they are set in, MOtormouth. It matters who you play after a short week or who are coming off their bye week or who plays in 95-degree heat in September or sub-zero cold in December. Throw me some Buccaneers and Jaguars when I need a light week after facing the Patriots or Ravens. Don't load me up with five road games in six weeks plus a game in London. There is mucho the NFL can do to make a schedule easy or hard, all in how they tweak those "set-in-stone" games.

Denver has no southern games in September, no five game in six weeks on the road stretch, no game in London and play in Denver where, you know, it gets cold in December, so I don't really understand your point.

Simple Jaded
04-16-2016, 04:21 PM
They toughen the schedule for all the good teams to varying degrees, except for NE, I kinda thought this was generally accepted.

OrangeHoof
04-16-2016, 05:30 PM
They toughen the schedule for all the good teams to varying degrees, except for NE, I kinda thought this was generally accepted.

It's tough making their schedule difficult when they get those six games against the rest of the AFC East.

OrangeHoof
04-16-2016, 05:33 PM
Denver has no southern games in September, no five game in six weeks on the road stretch, no game in London and play in Denver where, you know, it gets cold in December, so I don't really understand your point.

I was speaking generically, not specifically about the Broncos. I was demonstrating how a schedule can be tougher or easier depending on how it is laid out from week to week.

Joel
04-16-2016, 06:41 PM
That's because you don't have to PLAY them. ;) Part of why I remember that Christmas Eve '06 game against Cincy so well (other than winning it on a flukey missed PAT that cost Cincy a playoff spot and nearly got us one) is driving 200 miles to visit the rest of her family for Christmas, and having a huge fight with her because I wouldn't leave before the game ended: Merry Christmas.

It was one for the ages, and the last time I ever saw D-Will play, but I could've done without the family tension. And since my uncle was killed in a car wreck a year later, my mom and I could've used a longer final Christmas visit with her brother. Christmas is for family and Christ; football isn't actually either.

Joel
04-16-2016, 06:59 PM
I don't like it either. They will be channeling their anger all offseason toward this game. They definitely won't be going in overconfident like they did the super bowl. I would have way rather had Brock to beat up on in week 1.
Remember when Baltimore beat our team of destiny in DOT at Mile High, leaving our #1 seed stranded at home with NO postseason wins while they won a SB? Remember the final when we opened the season against the defending champs? 49 to... so much less I can't even be bothered to remember. The start of a record-shattering season that ended in our first SB since Elway retired. Who probably knows better than anyone the motive power of vengeance and shoulder mounted chips.

I really don't like playing a team with everything to prove, especially when we're the VERY team against whom they ache to prove it. Feels like the NFL's giving Cam a do over. But, screw it; Baltimore didn't have to give us their trophy when they played us twice and lost the last one, and we don't have to give it to Camolina. And if we beat them again they'll have to put Cam on suicide watch. :rolleyes:

Simple Jaded
04-16-2016, 07:44 PM
That's because you don't have to PLAY them. ;) Part of why I remember that Christmas Eve '06 game against Cincy so well (other than winning it on a flukey missed PAT that cost Cincy a playoff spot and nearly got us one) is driving 200 miles to visit the rest of her family for Christmas, and having a huge fight with her because I wouldn't leave before the game ended: Merry Christmas.

It was one for the ages, and the last time I ever saw D-Will play, but I could've done without the family tension. And since my uncle was killed in a car wreck a year later, my mom and I could've used a longer final Christmas visit with her brother. Christmas is for family and Christ; football isn't actually either.

You're a ray of ******* sunshine, Joel, you should write country songs.

Joel
04-16-2016, 10:34 PM
You're a ray of ******* sunshine, Joel, you should write country songs.
I was a goin' to see my granny, on Christmas,
But the NFL told me, "no, you gotta play,"
'Cause some guy I don't even know in CO wants to watch TV while spending Christmas with HIS family. Baby.

First time I saw a game on Christmas I thought it was weird and felt bad for the players, even given their salaries (and almost no one but starters is living large.)

Simple Jaded
04-16-2016, 10:42 PM
'Cause some guy I don't even know in CO wants to watch TV while spending Christmas with HIS family. Baby.

First time I saw a game on Christmas I thought it was weird and felt bad for the players, even given their salaries (and almost no one but starters is living large.)

Need more suffering, and beer.

Joel
04-16-2016, 11:16 PM
Need more suffering, and beer.
Gotcha covered; saw this on TV a couple days ago: http://www.vinceyoungsteakhouse.com/

MOtorboat
04-17-2016, 01:26 AM
I was speaking generically, not specifically about the Broncos. I was demonstrating how a schedule can be tougher or easier depending on how it is laid out from week to week.

Cool.

Let me know when it actually happens.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-17-2016, 10:05 PM
Once the NFL's full schedule comes out, the year seems to fly along, with dates and times and meaning applied to all the empirical and existential work of scouting and preparation.

As defending World Champions (and I love writing that, and though using capital letters even of they don't quite belong by literary style, they belong by football style), the Denver Broncos have a very exciting schedule that fans and the press are all discussing.

Five prime-time nationally televised games, 10 games that are either prime-time or doubleheader games, and it all adds up to another season played in the national fishbowl.

But every time a new schedule comes out, I am reminded of some facts and comments from the past that smack us with a good dose of reality.

Once upon a time, when John Ralston was the Head Coach/General Manager of the Broncos, he responded to a schedule question by saying, "Your schedules are like your kids. You might as well love them, because they are the only ones you have."

I have not forgotten that in 40 years, so it looks like I will be remembering it for awhile.

rest - very good article - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Sundays-with-Sacco-The-schedule-is-what-you-make-of-it/72f2e5a3-06b3-43f8-9c82-9fd178cf08ad

FanInAZ
04-18-2016, 02:12 AM
Cameron Newton ‏@CameronNewton 3h

��THÖÜGHTthisWAScütë @Millerlite40 •lookinLOOK1Nlookin…LOOK1NforRêVÊÊÊNGê• -SEPT.8th
#iWmW… https://www.instagram.com/p/BEMpSLwETEC/

Someone needs to explain to Cam:

1) All of those weird characters makes it really hard to read his message.
2) If the Panthers beat Broncos 50-0 on opening week, nobody's going to remember it 10 years from now, but everyone's going to remember what happened during SB 50.
3) Nothing that happens during the game on opening night is going to change who walks off the field with shiny new rings on their fingers.

TXBRONC
04-18-2016, 01:42 PM
Someone needs to explain to Cam:

1) All of those weird characters makes it really hard to read his message.
2) If the Panthers beat Broncos 50-0 on opening week, nobody's going to remember it 10 years from now, but everyone's going to remember what happened during SB 50.
3) Nothing that happens during the game on opening night is going to change who walks off the field with shiny new rings on their fingers.

Dang that is tough to read. It makes my eyes hurt.

tomjonesrocks
04-18-2016, 08:28 PM
I know I've read it but when do single game tix in Denver go on sale?

The Glue Factory
04-19-2016, 09:40 AM

While I agree that people should be with family as much as possible for major holidays I gotta call you on the salaries. Rookies making league minimum are paid 6 figure salaries, which is nearly double my annual salary. While they may not be able to live as large as the cap busting players on their team, they aren't struggling to put food on the table either.

Joel
04-19-2016, 12:01 PM
While I agree that people should be with family as much as possible for major holidays I gotta call you on the salaries. Rookies making league minimum are paid 6 figure salaries, which is nearly double my annual salary. While they may not be able to live as large as the cap busting players on their team, they aren't struggling to put food on the table either.
You may only make half their salaries, but I certainly hope your career lasts longer than the NFLs 5 year average, so you're not seeking a new one before you're 30, with blown out knees and no marketable skills. You also probably don't have to give an agent 10% off the top, or have friends and family convinced that even the last guy hired at the least successful company in your field can afford a new house for everyone he knows.

They've got a lot of overhead you and I don't. I don't even know how health insurance works for NFL players, but they have more injuries, see more specialists and need more rehab than the average person. Add it all up and rookie camp fodder goes through $450,000 pretty fast, and is probably looking for some OTHER way to put foot on the table by this time next year.

At least they get to spend Christmas and Thanksgiving 2000 miles from the new two story house they just bought their brother-in-laws cousins dogwalker. ;)

Slick
04-19-2016, 12:05 PM
You may only make half their salaries, but I certainly hope your career lasts longer than the NFLs 5 year average, so you're not seeking a new one before you're 30, with blown out knees and no marketable skills. You also probably don't have to give an agent 10% off the top, or have friends and family convinced that even the last guy hired at the least successful company in your field can afford a new house for everyone he knows.

They've got a lot of overhead you and I don't. I don't even know how health insurance works for NFL players, but they have more injuries, see more specialists and need more rehab than the average person. Add it all up and rookie camp fodder goes through $450,000 pretty fast, and is probably looking for some OTHER way to put foot on the table by this time next year.

At least they get to spend Christmas and Thanksgiving 2000 miles from the new two story house they just bought their brother-in-laws cousins dogwalker. ;)

You left out the part where most of those guys got a free college education.

Davii
04-19-2016, 12:16 PM
You left out the part where most of those guys got a free college education.

If I had 450k right now I'd pay my house off and I could then easily afford to "feed my family" off most any job out there.

BroncoWave
04-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Not to mention pretty much any NFL player has a guarantee in to get a job for the college athletic department they played for if they want to pursue a job in coaching or administration. I have a hard time believing even the scrubbiest of camp fodder has a hard time finding work after the NFL gig is done.

Poet
04-19-2016, 12:44 PM
The issue isn't a lack of proper pay. The last CBA was seen as fair amongst both parties and the general populace. What a lot of players struggle with is money management. It's not surprising when you think about how so many of the players are actually young guys who've never had such responsibility or assets before.

In regards to the holiday games - I'm not a fan. You can't put a price on being with your family during the holidays. It's one of the reasons why I hated retail so much. I worked on Christmas Eve and Thanksgiving. The players do, too. Sure, their situation is more desirable than mine was, but in the end we were similarly situated.

BroncoWave
04-19-2016, 12:47 PM
The issue isn't a lack of proper pay. The last CBA was seen as fair amongst both parties and the general populace. What a lot of players struggle with is money management. It's not surprising when you think about how so many of the players are actually young guys who've never had such responsibility or assets before.

In regards to the holiday games - I'm not a fan. You can't put a price on being with your family during the holidays. It's one of the reasons why I hated retail so much. I worked on Christmas Eve and Thanksgiving. The players do, too. Sure, their situation is more desirable than mine was, but in the end we were similarly situated.

When I was interning for the Saints we had a Christmas and a New Years game that year. While it wasn't fun being away from family, I still didn't mind it all that much since I got to work for an NFL team. I think the level of enjoyment of the job can really soften the blow of having to work on holidays. Working in retail on holidays sucks balls I agree, but I think most NFL players can live with it given the lifestyle perks that come along with being a pro athlete.

Poet
04-19-2016, 12:49 PM
When I was interning for the Saints we had a Christmas and a New Years game that year. While it wasn't fun being away from family, I still didn't mind it all that much since I got to work for an NFL team. I think the level of enjoyment of the job can really soften the blow of having to work on holidays. Working in retail on holidays sucks balls I agree, but I think most NFL players can live with it given the lifestyle perks that come along with being a pro athlete.

In a way, flying home on a jet beats driving a Hyundai home to my house after work, I get it. It's just something that seems intrinsically wrong. To the best of my knowledge, you and I don't have any kids. That worsens the situation, too. They're kids once.

BroncoJoe
04-19-2016, 12:54 PM

I'm still trying to figure out why you watch the NFL, or are a fan.

On a daily basis. No one is forcing you to watch, let alone be a fan.

Valar Morghulis
04-19-2016, 02:15 PM
I can't believe I am reading this

What a lot of shit

I have missed Christmas, the birth of my middle child, countless birthdays, school plays, first steps, first words........

Not that I am moaning. I missed these things because I made a life choice. A life choice that I knew exactly what it entailed when I made it, but I made it anyway.

These players dedicate their life to achieving something, they know they will spend 4 months a year on the road. It is an informed choice. I am pleased for them. If their families moan, they should leave the job and work construction in their home town.

They certainly don't get my sympathy or pity

Poet
04-19-2016, 02:17 PM
I can't believe I am reading this

What a lot of shit

I have missed Christmas, the birth of my middle child, countless birthdays, school plays, first steps, first words........

Not that I am moaning. I missed these things because I made a life choice. A life choice that I knew exactly what it entailed when I made it, but I made it anyway.

These players dedicate their life to achieving something, they know they will spend 4 months a year on the road. It is an informed choice. I am pleased for them. If their families moan, they should leave the job and work construction in their home town.

They certainly don't get my sympathy or pity

Yes it's a choice. But if things can be done where people can be home for the holidays, is that not more desirable? Joel has a point when he made the line about not being home because some dude he's never met said he had to.

slim
04-19-2016, 02:20 PM
Yes it's a choice. But if things can be done where people can be home for the holidays, is that not more desirable? Joel has a point when he made the line about not being home because some dude he's never met said he had to.

Of course it would be more desirable, but sometimes we have to eat salad.

Poet
04-19-2016, 02:25 PM

The NFL doesn't have to schedule games during the holidays. In fact, seeing how there is already discussion for having a second bye week, it seems quite logical a time to hold such a bye.

BroncoWave
04-19-2016, 02:29 PM
The NFL doesn't have to schedule games during the holidays. In fact, seeing how there is already discussion for having a second bye week, it seems quite logical a time to hold such a bye.

The NFL is already more than accommodating when it comes to Christsmas. It's on a Sunday this year yet they moved all but a couple of the games that week to Saturday.

slim

Did you eat a salad today?

Valar Morghulis

no because they are in the entertainment/sports business - other people enjoy holidays more because they have things like that to look forward to. I hate the idea that because some athletes dont get to toast marshmallows with their granny somehow means we should grant them time with their family.

I hate working all day 5 days a week,most of the year (and it is worse for you yanks) while they are enjoying long off seasons and half day mini camps - do you think they go on messageboardstalking about how it is a shame for us - do they ****.

thats the deal - holiday football is as synonymous as santa

BroncoWave
04-19-2016, 02:30 PM

You've probably eaten salads as often as Mo has been asked to retrieve something from the top shelf.

Poet
04-19-2016, 02:31 PM
Did you eat a salad today?

I walked a mile. That was my 'healthy' action of the day.

Poet
04-19-2016, 02:41 PM
no because they are in the entertainment/sports business - other people enjoy holidays more because they have things like that to look forward to. I hate the idea that because some athletes dont get to toast marshmallows with their granny somehow means we should grant them time with their family.

I hate working all day 5 days a week,most of the year (and it is worse for you yanks) while they are enjoying long off seasons and half day mini camps - do you think they go on messageboardstalking about how it is a shame for us - do they ****.

thats the deal - holiday football is as synonymous as santa

Because they are in the entertainment business it is acceptable for them to miss holidays, and this is predicated upon the fact that we like it? Well, people like shopping on the holidays, those workers are still stuck there. There is a point where 'they get paid a lot of money' doesn't serve as a catch all.

Most of the athletes don't have 'long offseasons' as they tend to still train and stay in shape. You hear it from veterans all the time that "the offseason is a lie." I don't care if they do or don't 'care' about 'us'; the discussion isn't hinged or dependent upon that at all. At least in my opinion.

Lots of things are synonymous with lots of other things. Again, I think that is besides the point. It's not enough to say 'this is how it is'.

BroncoJoe
04-19-2016, 02:41 PM

I'm actually fairly shocked at this post.

I desire to not work at all but still want an income to support my family.

Poet
04-19-2016, 02:43 PM
I'm actually fairly shocked at this post.

I desire to not work at all but still want an income to support my family.

That's not quite the same thing. You can't compare working in general to working on the holidays.

BroncoJoe
04-19-2016, 02:44 PM
That's not quite the same thing. You can't compare working in general to working on the holidays.

I thought you were an atheist? What's the problem? It's just another day.

Poet
04-19-2016, 02:45 PM
I thought you were an atheist? What's the problem? It's just another day.

This is outside the boundaries of P and R. I would be more to answer that question in either a PM or that phonecall you keep teasing me with.

BroncoJoe
PS - today my wife and I are celebrating 17 years of marriage. We're not going to actually celebrate for another couple weeks when it makes sense. Today is our official anniversary, but it really doesn't matter that much what day we choose to celebrate.

Valar Morghulis
We will just need to agree to disagree

Maybe I am heavily influenced by the fact I don't see Christmas as any more of a family occasion as this weekend, or last weekend, or anytime I have off

But either way, I don't feel bad for them. In any way.

Poet
04-19-2016, 02:46 PM

Maybe I am heavily influenced by the fact I don't see Christmas as any more of a family occasion as this weekend, or last weekend, or anytime I have off

We can agree to disagree.

Valar Morghulis
04-19-2016, 02:46 PM
PS - today my wife and I are celebrating 17 years of marriage. We're not going to actually celebrate for another couple weeks when it makes sense. Today is our official anniversary, but it really doesn't matter that much what day we choose to celebrate.

Congrats on that by the way Joe. Loved that picture on Facebook.

slim
04-19-2016, 02:51 PM
Congrats Joe and Mrs. BJ.

slim
04-19-2016, 02:52 PM

I don't either.

I have a 3 month stretch of work where I barely see my family at all...and I knew it would be that way before I started my job.

BroncoJoe
04-19-2016, 02:59 PM

Let me just clarify something though - I did make sure to send flowers to her workplace today.

dogfish
04-19-2016, 03:27 PM
Congrats on that by the way Joe. Loved that picture on Facebook.

she's a lucky woman!

Slick
04-19-2016, 03:34 PM
I work six days a week 11 months out of the year. No 3 day weekends no holidays off except for Christmas and New Year. This next week will be the third time in 9 years that Iwill be able to go visit family in the US.

That's the price you pay for working in tourism.

Slick
04-19-2016, 03:35 PM
Congrats Joe!

Davii
04-19-2016, 03:39 PM

Like Dave said, they made the choice. I can't even count how much I've missed. I can count on one hand the amount of Christmases I was able to spend with my parents in the last 21 years. I made the choice, knowing full well, to enter an occupation that would take me away. If they don't like it, they can quit. Of course it would be "more desirable" not to have to play on Christmas, so what. Earn your massive paycheck that you signed up for. If it's not what you want then go get a real job like every other working stiff in the world.

Slick
04-19-2016, 04:00 PM
We're a tough crowd Kinger.

Poet
04-19-2016, 04:14 PM
We're a tough crowd Kinger.

I've only seen justifications saying "I've been hosed too," and "they make a lot of money," which isn't a justification for the reality being as it is. That's fine. I think we're in agreement in that working the holidays sucks. For me, I don't think anyone should have to work the holidays, period. In some instances, like Davii's, such an occurrence seemed inescapable. But with those instances, accounted for, I really don't think we need to have shopping and television spectaculars like the sporting events and what not.

Davii
04-19-2016, 04:20 PM
I've only seen justifications saying "I've been hosed too," and "they make a lot of money," which isn't a justification for the reality being as it is. That's fine. I think we're in agreement in that working the holidays sucks. For me, I don't think anyone should have to work the holidays, period. In some instances, like Davii's, such an occurrence seemed inescapable. But with those instances, accounted for, I really don't think we need to have shopping and television spectaculars like the sporting events and what not.

Why not? People make time and a half, waitresses make bigger tips, etc. Just because you don't enjoy working on holidays doesn't mean other people don't, or, don't NEED to in order to make ends meet. Why work on Thanksgiving? Because people are willing to come blow huge wads of cash at "sales" because they can.

Working weekends, nights, odd shifts, long shifts, etc, also sucks.

The NFL has football on holidays because they're in the entertainment industry, people who are mostly off work want to be entertained.

Poet
04-19-2016, 04:26 PM
Why not? People make time and a half, waitresses make bigger tips, etc. Just because you don't enjoy working on holidays doesn't mean other people don't, or, don't NEED to in order to make ends meet. Why work on Thanksgiving? Because people are willing to come blow huge wads of cash at "sales" because they can.

Working weekends, nights, odd shifts, long shifts, etc, also sucks.

The NFL has football on holidays because they're in the entertainment industry, people who are mostly off work want to be entertained.

I'm not saying someone should be denied the ability to work on the holidays, Davii. That's not even remotely relevant to my point at all.

Working weekends, nights, odd shifts, long shifts, can suck yes, but that's not really the same as working on Thanksgiving, or Christmas, or Christmas Eve.

I understand why the NFL has holiday football.

We're going round in circles at this point.

Davii
04-19-2016, 04:28 PM
I'm not saying someone should be denied the ability to work on the holidays, Davii. That's not even remotely relevant to my point at all.

Working weekends, nights, odd shifts, long shifts, can suck yes, but that's not really the same as working on Thanksgiving, or Christmas, or Christmas Eve.

I understand why the NFL has holiday football.

We're going round in circles at this point.

I guess I don't understand what you're saying then. We should feel guilty for wanting to watch football on a Holiday and shame on us?

Poet
04-19-2016, 04:33 PM
I guess I don't understand what you're saying then. We should feel guilty for wanting to watch football on a Holiday and shame on us?

No. I'm not trying to shame anyone. My point is that many people do not want to work on the holidays because they're away from their families. I think it sucks, regardless of a person's wealth or lack thereof. I also think people going "well I worked them too," are missing the point and should refer back to sentence two. That's the point.

BroncoWave
04-19-2016, 04:43 PM
Does it really matter if you can't spend the exact DAY of Christmas with your family? It's really just a date on a calendar. You can celebrate Christmas with your family at any time during the season. For me this year, I had to work the week of Christmas and was not able to be at home. I did, however, have the week before Christmas off, so I celebrated it with my family during that time. It wasn't technically on Christmas day, but the time spent with my family wasn't of any less quality than had we done the exact same thing a week later. These athletes who have to play on Christmas day can just as easily celebrate with their families a few days before or a day after.

Simple Jaded
04-19-2016, 04:45 PM
They should just stick to college games on Hollidays, we're already exploiting college athletes anyway.

Simple Jaded
04-19-2016, 04:47 PM
Does it really matter if you can't spend the exact DAY of Christmas with your family? It's really just a date on a calendar. You can celebrate Christmas with your family at any time during the season. For me this year, I had to work the week of Christmas and was not able to be at home. I did, however, have the week before Christmas off, so I celebrated it with my family during that time. It wasn't technically on Christmas day, but the time spent with my family wasn't of any less quality than had we done the exact same thing a week later. These athletes who have to play on Christmas day can just as easily celebrate with their families a few days before or a day after.

Our family hasn't celebrated a holiday or birthday on time in years, too much going on.

Poet
04-19-2016, 04:48 PM

Yes, it sort of does. For many people, getting together requires travel and scheduling. For instance, in my family, one year where I worked all the holidays, my sister and my aunt were only able to visit us around that those days. As a result, I spent very little time with my family, even though were were all staying in the same home.

The discussion isn't just limited to athletes so much as they fall into the discussion.

Valar Morghulis
04-19-2016, 04:51 PM
No football on holidays.

No restaurants or pubs on holidays

No taxi drivers on holidays

Everyone should stay at home or make their own arrangements to travel and see family, no gas station attendants though, so stock up on gas the week before.

I know that's not what your saying, but by default it kinda is

slim
04-19-2016, 04:52 PM
No football on holidays.

Everyone should stay at home or make their own arrangements to travel and see family, no gas station attendants though, so stock up on gas the week before.

Wait, what if I run out of beer?

I don't like this at all.

Slick
04-19-2016, 04:52 PM
I see your point Kinger, and I agree for the most part. Especially retail jobs. People can't go one effing day without shopping? Sometimes tourists bitch at me for being closed on Christmas and New Years Day. I tell them, we have families too. Plus everyone is so hungover after New Years Eve that it doesn't mix well with diving. Take the day off, sober up and we'll go diving on the 2nd.

All that being said, I choose to work holidays because that's when most tourists are here and I can make more money.

I remember as a kid working holidays at a Walgreens and people came in to shop on Christmas day. I used to give them dirty looks and mumble, shouldn't you be with your family today?

I think it depends on the job as to whether or not it's acceptable.

Slick
04-19-2016, 04:54 PM
No football on holidays.

You're losing me with that argument. Stock up then!!

slim
04-19-2016, 04:55 PM
When I was like 18 I delivered pizzas. I used to love working on holidays, the tips were significantly larger on holidays.

BroncoWave
04-19-2016, 04:56 PM
Yes, it sort of does. For many people, getting together requires travel and scheduling. For instance, in my family, one year where I worked all the holidays, my sister and my aunt were only able to visit us around that those days. As a result, I spent very little time with my family, even though were were all staying in the same home.

The discussion isn't just limited to athletes so much as they fall into the discussion.

But this discussion is about athletes. No one is disagreeing with you that it sucks for people in certain industries to have to work on Christmas. But most pro athletes are probably fortunate enough to where their immediate family doesn't have to work anymore or at the very least they can afford to fly them out to where they are. Something tells me 90+% of pro athletes that have to play around Christmas time still get to see their families during that season.

Poet
04-19-2016, 04:58 PM
But this discussion is about athletes. No one is disagreeing with you that it sucks for people in certain industries to have to work on Christmas. But most pro athletes are probably fortunate enough to where their immediate family doesn't have to work anymore or at the very least they can afford to fly them out to where they are. Something tells me 90+% of pro athletes that have to play around Christmas time still get to see their families during that season.

The discussion is the discussion. Conversations branch out over courses of threads. Of course they can see their family. I don't think it mitigates being able to see them on the holiday day, though.

Poet
04-19-2016, 05:00 PM
When I was like 18 I delivered pizzas. I used to love working on holidays, the tips were significantly larger on holidays.

There was a retail store across from use that was owned by the same parent company. They were on commission. Some of them loved it because the holidays made them more money. Others hated it.

slim
04-19-2016, 05:04 PM
There was a retail store across from use that was owned by the same parent company. They were on commission. Some of them loved it because the holidays made them more money. Others hated it.

Yeah, I can see that.

But unless your in the military or FD or something like that, no one is working a 24 hour shift. So they can work and also spend time with their families.

Buff
04-19-2016, 05:12 PM
I see your point Kinger, and I agree for the most part. Especially retail jobs. People can't go one effing day without shopping? Sometimes tourists bitch at me for being closed on Christmas and New Years Day. I tell them, we have families too. Plus everyone is so hungover after New Years Eve that it doesn't mix well with diving. Take the day off, sober up and we'll go diving on the 2nd.

All that being said, I choose to work holidays because that's when most tourists are here and I can make more money.

I remember as a kid working holidays at a Walgreens and people came in to shop on Christmas day. I used to give them dirty looks and mumble, shouldn't you be with your family today?

I think it depends on the job as to whether or not it's acceptable.

Maybe their family is all in prison, or disowned them. Or maybe they celebrated with their family already and are ready to move on with their day. Or maybe they needed something else to bring back to their family.

I actually don't side with you and King at all - like who are you to project what the holiday means to you onto everybody else? Get a different job, or ask for the day off... Especially when they're likely getting holiday pay anyway...

My mom used to work every Christmas because the double time was great, and with our small 3-person family, she could wake up and spend the morning with us, go to work, and then come back and spend the evening with us. No harm done. It wouldn't work for every family, but it was fine for us.

Poet
04-19-2016, 05:14 PM
I'm fairly certain that my 'projection' of the holidays is going to fall in line with more people than not. You also know better than to drop the 'get a different job' especially in times where the economy isn't hot, and a lot of places that force holiday work are doing just that....

Buff
04-19-2016, 05:17 PM
I'm fairly certain that my 'projection' of the holidays is going to fall in line with more people than not. You also know better than to drop the 'get a different job' especially in times where the economy isn't hot, and a lot of places that force holiday work are doing just that....

I guess I was specifically referring to Slick begrudging people who shopped on Christmas. Nothing wrong with wanting the day off, but there's nothing wrong with businesses wanting to stay open either.

I will happily patronize those establishments who have remained open - I value and appreciate their willingness to accommodate me.

Poet
04-19-2016, 05:19 PM
I guess I was specifically referring to Slick begrudging people who shopped on Christmas. Nothing wrong with wanting the day off, but there's nothing wrong with businesses wanting to stay open either.

I will happily patronize those establishments who have remained open - I value and appreciate their willingness to accommodate me.

I will patronize my dick in your *******.

Buff
04-19-2016, 05:20 PM
I will patronize my dick in your *******.

Not on Christmas though, right? We need to reserve that time for families.

Poet
04-19-2016, 05:22 PM
Not on Christmas though, right? We need to reserve that time for families.

To make up for it I'll dress up like Santa Clause.

dogfish
04-19-2016, 05:27 PM

you selfish effer! millions of jews nationwide care nothing for your holiday-- and they need to be able to watch basketball and movies, and have people to serve them chinese food. . .

BroncoJoe
04-19-2016, 05:28 PM
Von Kinger is getting killed in this thread.

I loved working holidays as a kid. Double/Triple time made for a nice paycheck. And, it got me away from my (at the time) annoying family.

At this stage in my life, I'll take any holiday they come up with for a day off. It's all relative.

I have zero sympathy for those that work on a holiday. It's their choice.

slim
04-19-2016, 05:30 PM
Sometimes we have to do things we don't want to do.

#shedstear

Slick
04-19-2016, 05:32 PM
Maybe their family is all in prison, or disowned them. Or maybe they celebrated with their family already and are ready to move on with their day. Or maybe they needed something else to bring back to their family.

I actually don't side with you and King at all - like who are you to project what the holiday means to you onto everybody else? Get a different job, or ask for the day off... Especially when they're likely getting holiday pay anyway...

My mom used to work every Christmas because the double time was great, and with our small 3-person family, she could wake up and spend the morning with us, go to work, and then come back and spend the evening with us. No harm done. It wouldn't work for every family, but it was fine for us.

Right, but I can say the same thing to you. Who are you to project that the holiday is meaningless to you? Stay home and watch football or basketball. Live without shopping for one day.

Poet
04-19-2016, 05:34 PM
Joe, I'm not sure why you think everyone has a choice to work on holidays, but man...

BroncoJoe
04-19-2016, 05:34 PM
Right, but I can say the same thing to you. Who are you to project that the holiday is meaningless to you? Stay home and watch football or basketball. Live without shopping for one day.

Dude. You're trying to reason with the worlds worst driver, and someone who refuses to stand on a moving walkway and/or escalator.

Buff has problems. Serious problems.

Poet
04-19-2016, 05:35 PM
Dude. You're trying to reason with the worlds worst driver, and someone who refuses to stand on a moving walkway and/or escalator.

Buff has problems. Serious problems.

Note that Buff seems to agree with you.

BroncoJoe
04-19-2016, 05:35 PM
Joe, I'm not sure why you think everyone has a choice to work on holidays, but man...

Last time I checked, there is no requirement to work for any particular company. Or work at all, if you love Bernie.

BroncoJoe
04-19-2016, 05:36 PM
Note that Buff seems to agree with you.

Yeah - I take any possible moment to dis Buff.

Slick
04-19-2016, 05:36 PM

Retail stores being open just seems unnecessary and greedy or heartless to me. I would never work in retail. Gas stations, bars, airports hotels, restaurants, sports, are fair game. Maybe that's a weird stanceto have?

Poet
04-19-2016, 05:37 PM
Last time I checked, there is no requirement to work for any particular company. Or work at all, if you love Bernie.

Let's put this in reality - many people have a job and obviously have to work. They can't just not work. That doesn't make it a real great argument to say 'but you don't have to be there'. As opposed to what other option?

I will not comment on your very interesting statement on the presidential candidate.

Poet
04-19-2016, 05:37 PM
Yeah - I take any possible moment to dis Buff.

Your point is well taken.

BroncoJoe
04-19-2016, 05:38 PM
Retail stores being open just seems unnecessary and greedy or heartless to me. I would never work in retail. Gas stations, bars, airports hotels, restaurants, sports, are fair game. Maybe that's a weird stanceto have?

Aren't you another athiest? Why do you care?

This convo is moving in to the Political/Religious section of the forum.

Buff
04-19-2016, 05:39 PM

I'm not making a stink if a business wants to remain closed - I've learned to go without shopping on that day, especially growing up in a small town where everything is closed. I'm just saying that if a business is willing to accommodate me on that day - more power to them. And couldn't you have turned down the Christmas shift at Walgreens and remained employed? It just seems like a non-issue where most businesses have enough volunteers because of holiday pay. Is there really a large swath of workers who are being forced to work holidays against their will?

BroncoJoe
04-19-2016, 05:41 PM
I'm not making a stink if a business wants to remain closed - I've learned to go without shopping on that day, especially growing up in a small town where everything is closed. I'm just saying that if a business is willing to accommodate me on that day - more power to them. And couldn't you have turned down the Christmas shift at Walgreens and remained employed? It just seems like a non-issue where most businesses have enough volunteers because of holiday pay. Is there really a large swath of workers who are being forced to work holidays against their will?

Dammit, Buff. Stop agreeing with me. I'm very confused and upset right now!

Buff
04-19-2016, 05:42 PM
Dammit, Buff. Stop agreeing with me. I'm very confused and upset right now!

Just another day of Buff educating the masses. I will take all of your thank yous and expressions of gratitude via PM or Mile High Salute.

BroncoJoe
04-19-2016, 05:52 PM
Just another day of Buff educating the masses. I will take all of your thank yous and expressions of gratitude via PM or Mile High Salute.

Maybe a cold Bud Light Lime will do instead?

slim
04-19-2016, 05:59 PM

Buff, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Poet
04-19-2016, 06:00 PM
Let it be known that Buff has only been correct three times in is life. However, all three times were hugely important.

slim
04-19-2016, 06:02 PM
Let it be known that Buff has only been correct three times in is life. However, all three times were hugely important.

Which three?

Slick
04-19-2016, 06:05 PM
Aren't you another athiest? Why do you care?

This convo is moving in to the Political/Religious section of the forum.

Atheists still love their families.

No, but the company wasn't completely unreasonable. If you worked Christmas you had New Years off and vice versa. That was when minimum wage was $3.35 an hour so I made a killing working that holiday. :/

Poet
04-19-2016, 06:10 PM
Let's not be silly - the holidays even on the governmental level are predicated and revolve around the holidays in the celebratory sense. So even if you're an atheist, you love your family and you're not working on day/s where the country is dedicated to celebrating the family.