PDA

View Full Version : Broncos trade Clady to Jets

VonDoom
04-09-2016, 06:00 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 5m5 minutes ago

Denver has agreed to trade four-time Pro-Bowl OT Ryan Clady and a 7th-round pick to the Jets for a 5th-round pick, league sources told ESPN.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago

And so on the same day D’Brickashaw Ferguson, announced his retirement, the Jets already have found his replacement in Ryan Clady.

NightTerror218
04-09-2016, 06:12 PM
Called it

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 06:15 PM
I told you guys that Clady's days were numbered, y'all never listen.

VonDoom
04-09-2016, 06:16 PM
I must have missed some posts. Who seriously thought we were keeping him?

DenBronx
04-09-2016, 06:17 PM
Oh come on I said this way back in 2001 that we would not only draft Ryan Clady but we would trade him to the Jets in 2016.

I never get any credit around here.

DenBronx
04-09-2016, 06:19 PM
Soooo does that 5th round pick now get packaged together for a QB?

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 06:23 PM

:D :hi:

VonDoom
04-09-2016, 06:23 PM
From a Bronco perspective, this is a good deal. I figured most teams thought we were cutting Clady so they would wait us out. But the Jets gave us something for Tebow, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. An extra fifth rounder for us and it frees up that cap space we needed. Score one for Elway.

From a Jet perspective, I don't understand it so much. Yes, they needed a LT. But Clady makes about the same as Ferguson, and they didn't want to keep Ferguson at his full salary. He even said he would have played another year if they didn't want him to take a pay cut. Now the Jets still don't have the money to re-sign Fitzpatrick either, which I thought was part of the benefit of Ferguson retiring. Oh well, not my problem.

Clady was great when healthy, which just wasn't often enough lately. I wish him well, but he wasn't helping this team anymore. He supposedly would have taken a pay cut, but when it came down to it, he didn't like our offer and ended up getting bounced out of town.

DenBronx
04-09-2016, 06:24 PM
Look, Clady still has value. LTs with Cladys talent are extremely rare, regardless of his injury history.

Irregardless, Elway still masterminded this whole deal. He got Cladys replacement with near talent for a cheaper price AND got something in return for Clady.

Now, who's ya daddy?

BroncoWave
04-09-2016, 06:25 PM
From a Bronco perspective, this is a good deal. I figured most teams thought we were cutting Clady so they would wait us out. But the Jets gave us something for Tebow, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised. An extra fifth rounder for us and it frees up that cap space we needed. Score one for Elway.

From a Jet perspective, I don't understand it so much. Yes, they needed a LT. But Clady makes about the same as Ferguson, and they didn't want to keep Ferguson at his full salary. He even said he would have played another year if they didn't want him to take a pay cut. Now the Jets still don't have the money to re-sign Fitzpatrick either, which I thought was part of the benefit of Ferguson retiring. Oh well, not my problem.

Clady was great when healthy, which just wasn't often enough lately. I wish him well, but he wasn't helping this team anymore. He supposedly would have taken a pay cut, but when it came down to it, he didn't like our offer and ended up getting bounced out of town.

Clady took a paycut for the Jets as part of the deal.

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 06:26 PM
Good deal, huh? Now that's some orange-colored spin, they just traded a ProBowl player at their worst position for what amounts to a 6th round pick.

It clears cap space, that is literally the only positive in this deal.

BroncoWave
04-09-2016, 06:27 PM
Good deal, huh? Now that's some orange-colored spin, they just traded a ProBowl player at their worst position for what amounts to a 6th round pick.

They were going to flat out cut him so, yes, getting anything for him is a pretty good deal.

MOtorboat
04-09-2016, 06:28 PM

They have two left tackles. Only one can start.

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 06:29 PM
They were going to flat out cut him so, yes, getting anything for him is a pretty good deal.

They didn't have to cut, where is that etched?

VonDoom
04-09-2016, 06:29 PM

Exactly. We were going to get nothing, instead we got pick 157. That's a win

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 06:30 PM
They have two left tackles. Only one can start.

Really? Sampro and Stephenson must sitting on the bench too, I guess.

BroncoWave
They didn't have to cut, where is that etched?

Well, they already replaced him this offseason so there was really no feasible way of keeping him on the team. So yeah, once they brought in Okung they pretty much had to get rid of him. Thus, getting anything at all for him is a win.

VonDoom
Clady took a paycut for the Jets as part of the deal.

Is that official? So he'll take a cut for the Jets and not for us?

BroncoWave
04-09-2016, 06:32 PM

Not official yet but expected...

https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/718938381145796608

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 06:32 PM
Well, they already replaced him this offseason so there was really no feasible way of keeping him on the team. So yeah, once they brought in Okung they pretty much had to get rid of him. Thus, getting anything at all for him is a win.

Cugel, is that you?

MOtorboat
04-09-2016, 06:33 PM
Really? Sampro and Stephenson must sitting on the bench too, I guess.

Huh?

BroncoWave
04-09-2016, 06:35 PM
Cugel, is that you?

Did you hit your head in the last week? Between saying Colorado's QB is just as good as Prescott and your posting in this thread I'm not really sure.

BroncoWave
Huh?

Apparently I'm now Cugel for stating what is pretty much the obvious to everyone except Jaded I guess.

GEM
I told you guys that Clady's days were numbered, y'all never listen.

Ummmm. Everyone knew this was coming. :confused:

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 06:36 PM

He did agree to some kind of paycut, fwiw.

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 06:38 PM
Apparently I'm now Cugel for stating what is pretty much the obvious to everyone except Jaded I guess.

You sounded like Cugel.

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 06:39 PM
Did you hit your head in the last week? Between saying Colorado's QB is just as good as Prescott and your posting in this thread I'm not really sure.

Prescott is a backup, besides, I said there's not much difference as pro prospects. Liufao was actually more highly recruited.

BroncoWave
04-09-2016, 06:40 PM
You sounded like Cugel.

For saying what has been common knowledge for weeks? To your point, no, no one was holding a gun to Elway's head and forcing him to get rid of Clady, but given that everyone in the league knows that that was his plan and that he was willing to cut him, he did well to get anything back for him.

Like, were you seriously expecting we would keep both Clady and Okung and make that work cap-wise?

BroncoWave
04-09-2016, 06:41 PM
Prescott is a backup, besides, I said there's not much difference as pro prospects. Liufao was actually more highly recruited.

Except, you know, basically every single draft ranking/scouting report out there right now. But yeah, other than that no difference at all in how they project to the NFL.

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 06:44 PM
Except, you know, basically every single draft ranking/scouting report out there right now. But yeah, other than that no difference at all in how they project to the NFL.

Name one scouting report you've read on Liufao?

I get it, you think Prescott is better than he is and Liufao is some rec league stiff. I think they're both NFL backups.

Nawrocki, Scouts Inc, Zeirlein all rank Prescott as a backup.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-09-2016, 06:47 PM
The Denver Broncos have agreed to trade four-time Pro Bowl offensive tackle Ryan Clady and a seventh-round pick in this year's NFL draft to the New York Jets for a fifth-round selection, league sources told ESPN on Saturday.

Clady arrived at the Jets complex for a physical Friday and has been trying to reach an agreement on a new deal with the team, sources told ESPN.

The Jets are getting a bona-fide replacement for D'Brickashaw Ferguson, who announced his retirement Saturday.

The trade is expected to become official in the next day or two.

The Jets had targeted Clady last week after learning of Ferguson's plans. Talks began to heat up in recent days, but the two sides still had to work through contractual issues.

rest - article by Schefter
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15171869/denver-broncos-trade-ryan-clady-seventh-round-pick-new-york-jets-fifth-round-pick

weazel
04-09-2016, 06:48 PM
Good move, clear out cap room. Dude , hasn't played a meaningful play in three year

BroncoWave
04-09-2016, 06:49 PM
Name one scouting report you've read on Liufao?

I get it, you think Prescott is better than he is and Liufao is some rec league stiff. I think they're both NFL backups.

Since you have mentioned him the other day I have extensively been googling scouting reports on him. None of the major scouting sites for the NFL draft even have a scouting report on him that I can find. I have still yet to find anything that has him projected as a draftable player. It's ok to admit that you made a bad point without really thinking it through. I won't hold it against you.

VonDoom
04-09-2016, 06:50 PM
Like, were you seriously expecting we would keep both Clady and Okung and make that work cap-wise?

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 12m12 minutes ago

According to NFLPA, #Broncos had $320,296 in cap before trade. So yeah they needed it a lot. They'll need about 5-6M in cap for rookie pool.

BroncoWave
04-09-2016, 06:52 PM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 12m12 minutes ago

According to NFLPA, #Broncos had $320,296 in cap before trade. So yeah they needed it a lot. They'll need about 5-6M in cap for rookie pool.

I mean, this has pretty much been common knowledge for weeks. I'm not really sure what Jaded is thinking here.

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 06:54 PM
Since you have mentioned him the other day I have extensively been googling scouting reports on him. None of the major scouting sites for the NFL draft even have a scouting report on him that I can find. I have still yet to find anything that has him projected as a draftable player. It's ok to admit that you made a bad point without really thinking it through. I won't hold it against you.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/ratings/profile.php?pyid=127586

I fully stand by what I said, not much difference.

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 06:57 PM
I mean, this has pretty much been common knowledge for weeks. I'm not really sure what Jaded is thinking here.

He agreed to a paycut, there's other ways to make the cap work. DT's signing bonus clause and cutting dead weight punter immediately comes to mind, that saves nearly $14 MM, in addition to whatever paycut Clady agreed to.

VonDoom
04-09-2016, 07:00 PM
He agreed to a paycut, there's other ways to make the cap work. DT's signing bonus clause and cutting dead weight punter immediately comes to mind, that saves nearly $14 MM, in addition to whatever paycut Clady agreed to.

I wouldn't convert DT's money unless we had no other options. Creates cap hell in future years, which we have been good at avoiding.

TXBRONC
04-09-2016, 07:01 PM

He's just being jaded.

weazel
Lots of angst against a move that was expected and needed. Clady hasn't done shit for this team in two years and makes bucketloads of money. Another example of people falling in love with players instead of the team

BroncoWave

Andrew Mason said the other day that the DT thing only kicks the can down the road cap-wise. We would just be on the hook for that cap figure we'd be saving this year in later years. It's not like we can just permanently lower DT's cap figure, or Elway would have done it in two seconds.

BroncoWave
04-09-2016, 07:02 PM
Lots of angst against a move that was expected and needed. Clady hasn't done shit for this team in two years and makes bucketloads of money. Another example of people falling in love with players instead of the team

Really only angst from one person who apparently does not understand how the salary cap works.

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 07:10 PM
Ok, I understand how the cap works. I just saw the talent they had on the OL and I wanted to see it take the field, calm the **** down.

BroncoWave
04-09-2016, 07:11 PM
Ok, I understand how the cap works. I just saw the talent they had on the OL and I wanted to see it take the field, calm the **** down.

I want to bang Carrie Underwood but the things we want aren't always feasible.

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 07:12 PM
You're right, I am wrong.
You're smart, I am stupid.
You smell good, I fart a lot.

BroncoWave
04-09-2016, 07:14 PM
You're right, I am wrong.
You're smart, I am stupid.
You smell good, I fart a lot.

If you ask my fiancee no one farts more than me. :lol: So sorry, I have you beat there too! :D

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 07:18 PM

Ok, Wave, the Broncos had both under contract with Clady apparently agreeing to take a haircut to stay, so what your comparison actually equates to is this; you're naked and in bed with Carrie Jaded and when she gets dressed and leaves everybody is telling you how stupid you were for thinking you had a chance.

Even though you were both in bed, naked and ready to rock out with your cok out!

That's what I had, I had my cok out and ready to rock out! Screw you for judging me!

DenBronx
04-09-2016, 07:35 PM

A friend of mine used to play in her band and toured with her. He went on to start his own band with his brothers called Sons of Sylvia and now just recently branched off into a solo gig. His name is Ashley Clark and has been on American Idol several times with her.

Good looking dude, really down to earth and actually was poorer than dirt before getting his shot. He told my brother a few years back that he was going to give us backstage passes to meet her....but my stupid brother didn't take him up on it.

Just saying bro....I was THAT close to getting her digits.

NightTerror218
04-09-2016, 07:36 PM
It makes sense for jets. Either you draft a LT or a QB in 1st. Or trade for LT and draft a QB. Two holes that can't be filled in same year.

TXBRONC
04-09-2016, 07:51 PM

Where are you seeing angst? I think most everyone was expecting this to happen and hoping it would sooner rather than later.

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 08:01 PM
If you ask my fiancee no one farts more than me. :lol: So sorry, I have you beat there too! :D

Challenge accepted, I'm lactose intolerant but in a good way.

VonDoom
04-09-2016, 08:03 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 5m5 minutes ago

Ryan Clady's new deal with #Jets: 1-year deal for $6M base value with $3M guaranteed. Clady has 1 option year for $10M escalating to $13M

-------------------

So ... we wanted him at $5 million and he says no, but then takes $6 million from the Jets?

TXBRONC
04-09-2016, 08:04 PM
Challenge accepted, I'm lactose intolerant but in a good way.

I didn't know there was a good way to be lactose intolerant.

Jsteve01
04-09-2016, 08:24 PM

Ryan Clady's new deal with #Jets: 1-year deal for $6M base value with $3M guaranteed. Clady has 1 option year for $10M escalating to $13M

-------------------

So ... we wanted him at $5 million and he says no, but then takes $6 million from the Jets?

As I said in the Florio post which was obviously a little bit premature. The okung signing actually benefited us in trade scenarios because we established what the value is in the first year for an often injured left tackle.

TXBRONC
04-09-2016, 08:54 PM
As I said in the Florio post which was obviously a little bit premature. The okung signing actually benefited us in trade scenarios because we established what the value is in the first year for an often injured left tackle.

This and the Ferguson retiring when was fortuitous. When he retired I immediately thought the Jets could become a trade partner.

tomjonesrocks
04-09-2016, 09:18 PM
Honestly, it's pretty masterful.

Okung on a VERY team-friendly deal and a 5th for Clady. What more could you possibly want.

Clady is a guy that missed 2 of the last 3 seasons and had an "off year" in the one he played in the last 3.

A pretty good Bronco in the scheme of things though, wouldn't mind him turning out to be a solid starter for them for a season or two.

MOtorboat
04-09-2016, 09:22 PM

-------------------

Elway called his bluff. I fault no one, Elway and Clady did what they needed to do.

BroncoWave
04-09-2016, 09:24 PM
Honestly, it's pretty masterful.

Okung on a VERY team-friendly deal and a 5th for Clady. What more could you possibly want.

Clady is a guy that missed 2 of the last 3 seasons and had an "off year" in the one he played in the last 3.

A pretty good Bronco in the scheme of things though, wouldn't mind him turning out to be a solid starter for them for a season or two.

Yeah we pretty much traded Clady's contract for a much more team friendly contract for a similar player and also got a 5th round pick out of the deal. Elway really came out well in the whole exchange.

Dapper Dan
04-09-2016, 11:14 PM
Let's take Hogan with that pick.

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 11:20 PM
I didn't know there was a good way to be lactose intolerant.

Good for me, not so good for the people's around me.

Tned
04-10-2016, 12:49 AM
Yeah we pretty much traded Clady's contract for a much more team friendly contract for a similar player and also got a 5th round pick out of the deal. Elway really came out well in the whole exchange.

Don't forget the Broncos gave up a 7th. Depending on which of the three 7th round picks the Broncos gave up, they might have pissed away the chance to draft Mr. Irrelevant.

OrangeHoof
04-10-2016, 12:53 AM
Any news on *which* seventh-rounder we gave up?

Tned
04-10-2016, 12:54 AM

Not sure what you were thinking was going to happen, but it was 100% guaranteed that Clady was going to be cut or traded after they signed Okung. Even if Clady had been willing to take $5 million a year AFTER the Broncos signed Okung, there was no way they were keeping both. First, they couldn't afford the $10 million for both of them. Second, when Okung signed it was with the clear understanding he was going to play LT -- that was widely reported. So, the only option then would have been moving Clady to RT, and cutting $5 million in players elsewhere.

Some just don't seem to grasp the cap situation. Elway is trying to keep the team competitive, while not mortgaging the future and making future years even worse than this year in terms of cap hell.

olathebroncofan
04-10-2016, 01:15 AM
I am too. One time I was plugged, so nothing would come out, but the gas just kept building up. I thought I was going to burst.

I said forget it...grabbed my lip balm and had to go get it. No joke. Being LI is nothing to mess with.

Valar Morghulis
04-10-2016, 01:18 AM
Let's take Hogan with that pick.

Is he a real American?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-10-2016, 01:39 AM
The money with the Broncos would have been almost the same.
Imo, the big difference would have the impact playing RT would have had on his next contract.
RT's make a fraction of what LT's do.
Now if Clady has a good year at LT he'll be in for a big payday in 2017.

Dapper Dan
04-10-2016, 01:45 AM
Any news on *which* seventh-rounder we gave up?

I think our original one. I don't think we can trade comp picks yet. Mr Irrelevant is a comp pick

Poet
04-10-2016, 01:45 AM
I wonder if this makes it more likely for a Kaepernick trade?

Valar Morghulis
04-10-2016, 01:51 AM

Hope not.

Maybe reevaluate after the draft but for now, I hope we pass

Dapper Dan

No.

Dapper Dan
Is he a real American?

He was born in Fairfax County, Virginia. Home of the CIA. So yes.

Valar Morghulis
04-10-2016, 01:52 AM
He was born in Fairfax County, Virginia. Home of the CIA. So yes.

Does he also fight for the rights of every man?

Dapper Dan
04-10-2016, 02:21 AM
Does he also fight for the rights of every man?

He does. As did so many of our founding father Virginians.

Valar Morghulis
04-10-2016, 02:31 AM
He does. As did so many of our founding father Virginians.

What happens when it comes crashing down and hurts inside?

Dapper Dan
04-10-2016, 02:36 AM
What happens when it comes crashing down and hurts inside?

He takes a stand, of course. It don't help to hide. If you hurt his friends then you hurt his pride. He's a man. He won't let it slide.

Poet
04-10-2016, 02:38 AM
This is horrible. Please stop.

VonDoom
04-10-2016, 06:18 AM
I think our original one. I don't think we can trade comp picks yet. Mr Irrelevant is a comp pick

Not this year. There were no 7th round comp picks this year, so Mr. Irrelevant is our actual pick. Not sure if that's the one we traded or not, though

Dapper Dan
04-10-2016, 08:44 AM
Not this year. There were no 7th round comp picks this year, so Mr. Irrelevant is our actual pick. Not sure if that's the one we traded or not, though

You're right.

Round 1: Pick 31: Own

Round 2: Pick 63: Own

Round 3: Pick 94: Own

Round 3: Pick 98: Compensatory

Round 4: Pick 136: Compensatory

Round 5: Pick 145: From Baltimore in Gino Gradkowski trade

Round 6: Pick 219: Compensatory

Round 7: Pick 228: From San Francisco in Vernon Davis trade

Round 7: Pick 236: From L.A. via Houston in Chris Clark trade

Round 7: Pick 253: Own

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29626871/broncos-receive-three-compensatory-picks-2016-draft

Cugel
04-10-2016, 10:09 AM
Andrew Mason said the other day that the DT thing only kicks the can down the road cap-wise. We would just be on the hook for that cap figure we'd be saving this year in later years. It's not like we can just permanently lower DT's cap figure, or Elway would have done it in two seconds.

The main problem with converting DT's contract guaranteed money into a signing bonus to get instant cap relief isn't even future cap problems - it's that the amount must be paid in cash right now, and the Broncos don't want to pay more than they take in in operating revenues. They have a limited amount of cash and their budget is based on that.

It might give cap relief to convert some contracts to signing bonuses, and that wouldn't create future dead cap space problems - IF they were going to keep the player around for the length of his contract, but they have to come up with the cash for that right now.

Cugel
04-10-2016, 10:17 AM
Jaded was just full of crap of course. Clady was willing to take a pay cut, but not down to $5M which was what Broncos insiders were saying the team wanted. They gave him around $30M the last 3 years and he only played in 18 games. The Jets gave him more money than the Broncos were willing to:

Ian Rapoport Verified account (https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/718966691468877825?ref_src=twsrc^tfw)
‏@RapSheet

Clady's first year goes to $7.5M with incentives (Okung had $5M). Clady has 2-year max value of $20.5M. Was to make $19.5M with no guarantee [with the Broncos - $9.5M this season, and $10 next but next year was not guaranteed]

His 2017 contract is not guaranteed with the Jets either, but they probably keep him. The Broncos were not happy paying him the $30 M over the last 3 seasons and his not earning it due to injury.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-10-2016, 11:48 AM
Seven hours after a touching cyber-farewell to D'Brickashaw Ferguson, complete with online testimonials, video highlights of his career and a poignant letter from the man himself, the New York Jets secured his replacement -- Ryan Clady, a former Pro Bowl player with the Denver Broncos.

Thanks for the memories, Brick. Welcome to Jersey, Ryan.

There's no time for sentimentality in the NFL.

First impression on the trade: The Jets have replaced one of the most durable players in recent history with a guy who has missed 30 of the past 48 games because of severe foot and knee injuries. Clady missed last season after blowing out an ACL in an offseason workout, forcing him to watch the Broncos' Super Bowl run from his couch. That is a concern, but when you consider the other factors -- the odd timing of Ferguson's retirement and the paucity of left tackles on the market -- the deal makes sense.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets/post/_/id/59592/in-one-day-jets-go-from-iron-man-to-aluminum-man-at-left-tackle

Timmy!
04-10-2016, 01:32 PM
This is horrible. Please stop.

https://49.media.tumblr.com/ab5cead5aa2e94543b8885c7ff3c68f3/tumblr_nqyyywZfPC1tooympo1_500.gif

Poet
04-10-2016, 02:03 PM
This is horrible; please stop.

VonDoom
04-10-2016, 04:27 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1h1 hour ago

#Broncos officially send seventh round pick, No. 235, for the Jets' fifth-rounder, No. 157, in the Clady deal

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 21m21 minutes ago

#Broncos @johnelway: "Our organization thanks @RyanClady for many contributions and wishes him all the best in next chapter of his career."

OrangeHoof
04-10-2016, 06:47 PM
So that's the middle of their three seventh-rounders. After the deal, the Broncos now have first (31), second (32), 2 thirds (31 and 35*), fourth (38*), 2 fifths (5^, 20^), sixth (44*), 2 sevenths (7^, 32)

* - compensation pick
^ - acquired in trade.

Nomad
04-10-2016, 06:47 PM
Thanks for being a BRONCO, Clady! Good luck on the rest of your career.

TXBRONC
04-10-2016, 10:08 PM
Don't forget the Broncos gave up a 7th. Depending on which of the three 7th round picks the Broncos gave up, they might have pissed away the chance to draft Mr. Irrelevant.

That would tick me off if Elway pissed away a chance Mr. Irrelevant.

Simple Jaded
04-10-2016, 11:22 PM
Jaded was just full of crap of course. Clady was willing to take a pay cut, but not down to $5M which was what Broncos insiders were saying the team wanted. They gave him around $30M the last 3 years and he only played in 18 games. The Jets gave him more money than the Broncos were willing to:

His 2017 contract is not guaranteed with the Jets either, but they probably keep him. The Broncos were not happy paying him the $30 M over the last 3 seasons and his not earning it due to injury.

When did I say he was willing to take $5MM?

You people remember last years OL, right? My gut tells me they need as many talented players they can fit because they sure as **** can't coach it out of them. Denver's current backup LT is probably Ty Sambrailo, hopefully Mr Irreverent is a LT that can hit the ground running at a Pro howl level.

Buff
04-11-2016, 11:53 AM
What gets lost in this discussion is that Clady's contract ended up being a disaster for us. He signed a 5 yr/$52 million contract in 2013, was hurt in 2013, didn't play up to his standards in 2014, hurt again in 2015... Plus we back loaded it in 2016-2017, which gave him more leverage against restructuring. So we got one injury-hampered season out of him in 2014 for 3 years and $30 million in cap space that couldn't be allocated elsewhere.

Yes - it was good that we were able to salvage any pick whatsoever, as opposed to cutting him outright... But to say this was a good deal for us definitely papers over the fact that his contract was a complete and unmitigated disaster.

Cugel
04-11-2016, 04:06 PM
"Disaster" is a bit harsh. It's not Clady's fault that he blew out his knee in a non-contact scrimmage last July, or that he had lingering problems in 2014 from the lis franc injury to his foot in 2013. Clady's injury did not prevent the Broncos going to 2 Superbowls and winning 1 in the last 3 years.

It cost them $30M, but this is a multi-billion $ business. Once in a while a player will get hurt. It's not like he was Daryl Gardner who got in a fight at the Aurora Pancake House at 1:00 AM, broke his hand and never played a down for the Broncos after signing a big contract. That was just a "stupid bum" injury - some guy cut in line for pancakes so he had to take him out. Clady's injury was just one of those things that happen in the NFL. Players get hurt on the field.

It didn't help, but the team didn't suffer a "disaster."

Cugel
04-11-2016, 04:14 PM
When did I say he was willing to take $5MM?

You people remember last years OL, right? My gut tells me they need as many talented players they can fit because they sure as **** can't coach it out of them. Denver's current backup LT is probably Ty Sambrailo, hopefully Mr Irreverent is a LT that can hit the ground running at a Pro howl level.

Relax. The OL will be massively better in 2016 than it was last year, when it was putrid. They will probably get a G or T somewhere in the draft, possibly even in the first round. Remember that Paradis was a 4th round pick who spent time on the practice squad, Sambrailo a late 2nd rounder, and Max Garcia was a 4th rounder. So, with the ZBS they can find players later in the draft who can come in and contribute, if not this year in future years and be effective.

Elway is on a multi-year mission to improve the play of the OL. Next year if Russell Okung doesn't work out, they can go out in FA and find another T. If he does, they re-sign him to a long-term contract and re-do his deal. Win-win.

BroncoJoe
04-11-2016, 04:15 PM
Just stop already.

underrated29
04-11-2016, 04:25 PM
im pretty certain paradis was not a 4th rd pick. I know because I liked paradis a lot. I think he was 7th or udfa

BroncoJoe
04-11-2016, 04:32 PM
im pretty certain paradis was not a 4th rd pick. I know because I liked paradis a lot. I think he was 7th or udfa

6th from Boise.

VonDoom
04-11-2016, 04:33 PM

He was a 6th rounder in 2014

underrated29
04-11-2016, 05:45 PM
well done boys

Simple Jaded
04-11-2016, 08:18 PM
Nalen said they shoulda worked it out with Clady.

Cugel
04-11-2016, 08:53 PM
He was a 6th rounder in 2014

Makes my point stronger, not weaker. You can find decent linemen for the zone blocking system in the later rounds - 4th through 7th. Sambrailo was the only guy who was even as high as a 2nd round pick Denver has drafted.

Cugel
04-11-2016, 08:54 PM
Nalen said they shoulda worked it out with Clady.

Nalen doesn't write the checks. Elway has to determine the salary cap and there wasn't room for Clady. They needed his $9.5M in cap relief to sign their rookies and Von Miller.

Poet
04-11-2016, 08:58 PM
Nalen doesn't write the checks. Elway has to determine the salary cap and there wasn't room for Clady. They needed his $9.5M in cap relief to sign their rookies and Von Miller.

I think Nalen was just getting at how he, Nalen, thought Clady still had some juice left in him. Clady certainly could have remained a Bronco had he wanted to take a cut. Clady is a big winner in this in that he's going to make more money in New York while remaining on a competitive team.

Simple Jaded
04-11-2016, 09:00 PM

Neither do you, yet that never stops you from posting opinion like you're some kind of insider.

Cugel
04-11-2016, 09:16 PM
Neither do you, yet that never stops you from posting opinion like you're some kind of insider.

Not MY opinion. They traded Clady, the former #12 pick of the 1st round and a 4 time pro-bowl selection, for a 7th round pick in order to unload his salary. So, that was ELWAY's opinion. :coffee:

Cugel
04-11-2016, 09:19 PM
I think Nalen was just getting at how he, Nalen, thought Clady still had some juice left in him. Clady certainly could have remained a Bronco had he wanted to take a cut. Clady is a big winner in this in that he's going to make more money in New York while remaining on a competitive team.

Clady may very well have "some juice left in him." He last made the pro-bowl in 2014. So, why did Elway get rid of him? Salary. They tried to re-negotiate with him, but he wouldn't accept enough of a pay-cut to satisfy Elway so they went out and signed Russell Okung instead.

Nalen could very well be right. The Broncos would very likely have been better off with Clady still on the team. Would he be a better player than Stevenson? But, at what price?

Simple Jaded
04-11-2016, 09:19 PM
Not MY opinion. They traded Clady, the former #12 pick of the 1st round and a 4 time pro-bowl selection, for a 7th round pick in order to unload his salary. So, that was ELWAY's opinion. :coffee:

My bad, that never stops you from posting what you think is ELWAY's opinion like you're some kind of insider.

Simple Jaded
04-11-2016, 09:21 PM
My bad, that never stops you from posting what you think is ELWAY's opinion like you're some kind of insider.

:coffee:

Poet
04-11-2016, 09:21 PM
Cugel, you either speculate rampantly yourself, let's cut it out with the 'this is fact' stuff. While you do often assert something that is reasonable -this current instance is a good example- you don't know exactly why it happened, either. Saying that it's clearly JE's opinion doesn't mean much when someone points to a former player saying it was the wrong opinion.

dogfish
04-11-2016, 09:26 PM
meh! clady made the pro bowl in '14 on reputation, because most fans pay zero attention to line play. . . it's effectively been four years since the last time he truly played at a high level. . . with a repaired knee plus the lisfranc, odds aren't great that he's ever going to be a particularly good player again. . . elway made the right choice to go with younger, healtheir bodies. . . and we've seen that john isn't afraid to draft for the future if the right player is available. . . with okung on essentially a one-year deal, we may very well take a potential left tackle of the future this year, and let him compete at guard if okung and stephenson stay healthy and play well. . .

Simple Jaded
04-11-2016, 09:30 PM
My personal favorite was when you ridiculed anyone who wanted to see Osweiler play and practically bet whatever credibility you had that it would never happen.......which went on up until about a week or so before it actually happened.

Oh, good times.