PDA

View Full Version : Florio with a very interesting take on Okung and Clady

Jsteve01
04-09-2016, 08:24 AM
I was just listening to his show yesterday, and it completely changed the way that I thought about Cladys s future with the Broncos. Apparently Beyond just the ridiculous lack of signing bonus and protection for Russell the really cool thing about the way that contract is written is that he has huge value as a trade piece for the Broncos. So essentially the idea or the premise of what Florio had to say is that with some tinkering like potentially rewriting the Thomas contract this year and make it a signing bonus rather than however they work that deal. They bring both clady and Russell to camp and hope that clady actually is healthy not so that they can trade him but that's so they now have a real feasible means in which to rework his deal and then Russell becomes a hugely valuable asset in a potential trade if they're happier with clady. Russell's deal is a two-edged sword because it makes ladies current deal pretty much untradeable but it's also set the bar for left tackles with injury history in this year's free-agency period and Clady now knows that he's not going to get anything more than what Russell got. It was a really interesting perspective on how well the Broncos front office did with that deal

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 08:41 AM
Keep 'em both? I like it.

TXBRONC
04-09-2016, 10:09 AM
It's interesting but I think Florio is way over thinking this. I get it Okung's contract makes him a prime rget for trade but given Clady's health issues two of the last three years trading Okung seems like a bad idea even if Clady eventually reworks his contract. It would have be a jaw dropper type deal. One that comes with mutiple picks one of which is a first rounder.

Northman
04-09-2016, 10:24 AM
Yea, i would not count on Clady being healthy for an entire year at this point. If you want to roll with both of them on the squad than great but trading Okung would be a bad idea in my opinion.

Jsteve01
04-09-2016, 10:25 AM
Tex I agree completely. CLady scares me. The thing is though as I said before it really helps to set the value for what a restructure For clady should look like.

NightTerror218
04-09-2016, 10:37 AM
Problem is broncos do not have enough cap to sign a rookie class with Clady on the books. And they still have to fill the rest of roster too.

Jsteve01
04-09-2016, 11:16 AM
I think a lot of the open roster spots are going to be filled by rookies. As I said it's not the ideal solution but they have the ability to rework the Thomas contract for this year and make this year's dollars a signing bonus at which point they can prorate it over the remainder of the contract

NightTerror218
04-09-2016, 11:42 AM
I think a lot of the open roster spots are going to be filled by rookies. As I said it's not the ideal solution but they have the ability to rework the Thomas contract for this year and make this year's dollars a signing bonus at which point they can prorate it over the remainder of the contract

Thomas won't rework contract, a year into signing and having a good season...stat wise atleast. Fans may think he dropped the ball this season....literally and figuratively speaking.....but he had a good season.

Jsteve01
04-09-2016, 12:16 PM
It's not a contract reduction. Per Florio they can rework this year's deal as a signing bonus and somehow prorate that over the remainder of the contract. He doesn't lose any dollars

Joel
04-09-2016, 01:58 PM
It's interesting but I think Florio is way over thinking this. I get it Okung's contract makes him a prime target for trade but given Clady's health issues two of the last three years trading Okung seems like bad idea even if Clady eventually reworks his contract. It would have be one a jaw dropper type deal. One that comes with mutiple picks one of which is a first rounder.
Yup. It's hard to believe we signed Okung with the intent of keeping both, but even harder to believe we did so with the intent of trading him if 1) Clady's healthy, 2) plays better than Okung in camp and 3) is willing to re-negotiate a smaller deal and 4) we can find a trade partner willing to give as much as we want for Okung.

That's an awful lot of "if"s. Throw in a Swiss cheese line and a QB TBA and I think we signed Okung to start him as our long term LT, and IF Clady's healthy and renegotiates he'll be our RT, at least for a while; if not, we move on with the guy we signed from KC, Sambrailo or someone else.

NightTerror218
04-09-2016, 06:13 PM
Clady is now a jet

/thread

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 06:20 PM
Thomas won't rework contract, a year into signing and having a good season...stat wise atleast. Fans may think he dropped the ball this season....literally and figuratively speaking.....but he had a good season.

He's already agreed to it.

It's a clause in DT's contract, the Broncos can convert any amount of his 2016 salary to a signing bonus, they could lower it to the veteran minimum and he doesn't lose a dime.

TXBRONC
04-09-2016, 07:59 PM
Clady is now a jet

/thread

I really do not like Florio. I think most of the time he has no idea what he is talking about.

Jsteve01
04-09-2016, 08:27 PM
Listen it didn't play out through training cam but it did affect our ability to trade clady. If okung hadn't signed for such a cheap deal clady never would have been forced to take a restructure at that 3 million guaranteed number

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-10-2016, 01:44 AM
Neither one of those guys was gonna play RT. Once Okung was promised LT we should have known Clady was a gonner.

TXBRONC
04-10-2016, 11:25 PM
Neither one of those guys was gonna play RT. Once Okung was promised LT we should have known Clady was a gonner.

I think most fans at some level realized Clady was a gonner.

Simple Jaded
04-10-2016, 11:31 PM

This is where the fact that their opinion doesn't matter comes into the discussion. Clary agreed to a paycut, he didn't have a choice in that either, he's giving up millions, but moving to the right side is where he draws the lime in the sand?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-11-2016, 12:11 AM
This is where the fact that their opinion doesn't matter comes into the discussion. Clary agreed to a paycut, he didn't have a choice in that either, he's giving up millions, but moving to the right side is where he draws the lime in the sand?

I explained it in another post. It could hurt a future contract if he plays RT. LT's make a lot more than RT's. It's why Okung was so adamant he get to play LT.
It's the same reason Orlando Franklin was upset when they asked him to move to guard in a contract year.

The Glue Factory
04-11-2016, 11:32 AM

As soon as I heard that report I was convinced Clady was a goner and would have been surprised if he made it past the draft. He's a Jet now and I'm not surprised. *shrugs*

Simple Jaded
04-11-2016, 08:58 PM
I explained it in another post. It could hurt a future contract if he plays RT. LT's make a lot more than RT's. It's why Okung was so adamant he get to play LT.
It's the same reason Orlando Franklin was upset when they asked him to move to guard in a contract year.

But Franklin did move, mostly because he's a good dude but also cause that's what the team needed.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-11-2016, 10:05 PM
But Franklin did move, mostly because he's a good dude but also cause that's what the team needed.

He didn't have much choice. He was under contract. I'm sure if Denver paid Clady his full contract amount he would have played RT.

TXBRONC
04-11-2016, 10:07 PM
As soon as I heard that report I was convinced Clady was a goner and would have been surprised if he made it past the draft. He's a Jet now and I'm not surprised. *shrugs*

Same here. As soon as the news broke that Okung was signed I knew Clady would be gone sooner or later.

MOtorboat
04-12-2016, 06:19 PM

I'm not sure where you've been, but Denver signed a pair of starting tackles and there was nowhere for Clady to play.

Simple Jaded
04-12-2016, 11:04 PM
I'm not sure where you've been, but Denver signed a pair of starting tackles and there was nowhere for Clady to play.

Then what are they doing with Sampro? He's a T, or so I'm told, another wasted 2nd round pick I guess.

I'm not sure why we're pretending that players never switch positions (especially an OL coming off season ending injuries) but obviously I'm not interested in playing along.

Btw, Chris Landry said Stephenson should kick inside when Denver signed him.

MOtorboat
04-12-2016, 11:07 PM
Then what are they doing with Sampro? He's a T, or so I'm told, another wasted 2nd round pick I guess.

I'm not sure why we're pretending that players never switch positions (especially an OL coming off season ending injuries) but obviously I'm not interested in playing along.

Btw, Chris Landry said Stephenson should kick inside when Denver signed him.

I hate switching player's positions. Rarely works and was terrible for Franklin. Enter in the amount of money Clady was owed and that he didn't appear to want to seem to take a pay cut and presto, he gone.

At least that's how I see it.

Simple Jaded
04-12-2016, 11:13 PM
He apparently agreed to a paycut, I'm going with that assumption, and LT's move to RT around their 30's all the time.

MOtorboat
04-12-2016, 11:22 PM
He apparently agreed to a paycut, I'm going with that assumption, and LT's move to RT around their 30's all the time.

Cool.

Stephenson will play at right tackle. So, that wasn't an option.

TXBRONC
04-13-2016, 07:02 AM
I would have preferred that Sambrailo move to right tackle. IIRC the original plan when was drafted was to have him play right tackle.

CoachChaz
04-13-2016, 07:18 AM
Plans change. And having his athleticism at guard may prove more beneficial that having him at RT.

TXBRONC
04-13-2016, 12:03 PM
Plans change. And having his athleticism at guard may prove more beneficial that having him at RT.

I know plans change.

Joel
04-13-2016, 12:41 PM
You're the coach, but I've always preferred athleticism outside and bruisers inside; maybe it depends on how much we pull RG. Or, what would you think of putting Sambrailo at LEFT guard, then moving Garcia to RG and just letting him block straight ahead most of the time? Athleticism (plus smarts and experience) at LG certainly ought to reduce getting outfoxed/maneuvered by stunts and delayed blitzes in pass protection, which I seem to recall being a problem for Garcia.

I realize going back to a full blown ZBS demands more agility and quickness from guards, but it seems like I've spent most of my life following teams that either drafted HoF guards to play OT (i.e. Bud Adams' Oilers) or elite OTs to play guard (i.e. Shannys Broncos.) It'd sure be nice to have a team that drafted elite guards to play guard and elite tackles to play tackle instead of mixing and matching all the time.

Simple Jaded
04-13-2016, 10:47 PM
Cool.

Stephenson will play at right tackle. So, that wasn't an option.

But he played LT last season, so switching to RT is not an option.

MOtorboat
04-14-2016, 01:28 AM
But he played LT last season, so switching to RT is not an option.

I was referencing moving Clady to guard, not interchanging tackles.

Look, I'm not exactly sure what you were expecting. The minute they signed Okung, Clady was gone.

Simple Jaded
04-15-2016, 12:31 AM
I was referencing moving Clady to guard, not interchanging tackles.

Look, I'm not exactly sure what you were expecting. The minute they signed Okung, Clady was gone.

I never suggested moving Clady to G, just suggested that there's a flaw in your argument and pointed out that there'd be a logical place to put Stephenson if you kept Clady.

You expected Clady to be gone, which is a popular thing to say. I have failed you, usually I'm much more persuasive.