PDA

View Full Version : Best of Demaryius Thomas

Denver Native (Carol)
04-03-2016, 07:29 PM
A look back at Demaryius Thomas' fourth consecutive season with at least 90 receptions and 1,300 receiving yards.

video - http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Best-of-Demaryius-Thomas/af14135a-ca0a-49da-9174-3310d1643a53

Denver Broncos Retweeted
Broncos TV ‏@BroncosTV Apr 2

.@DemaryiusT: One of just three in @NFL history w/ four straight 90-rec, 1,300-yd seasons

Poet
04-03-2016, 08:26 PM
#2ndbestWRinthegame

#futureHOFer

#winnersgetwings

BroncoWave
04-03-2016, 08:28 PM
It really is a testament to his talent that he had a season in which he had so many lulls where he couldn't catch a cold in Alaska yet still put up the numbers he did. If he can limit those funks he gets in and stay healthy his career is definitely on a track to the HOF.

Poet
04-03-2016, 08:32 PM
The only WR superior to DT is Antonio Brown.

BroncoWave
04-03-2016, 08:34 PM

I don't know, maybe. It's really tough to differentiate those guys at the top. AB is clearly #1 right now, but guys like Julio, AJ, ODB, and Dez could all have valid claims at that #2 spot as well. Just based on their actual production last year along with talent, I think I might put Julio just a tick ahead of DT. But we are really splitting hairs at that point.

Northman
04-03-2016, 08:39 PM
Methinks we will find out this year about how good he really is.

BroncoWave
04-03-2016, 08:42 PM
Methinks we will find out this year about how good he really is.

I kinda think he lost a bit of his edge this season and coasted more on his talent, which is still good for his 100 catches and 1300 yards, but it really could have been so much more. If he gets that edge back this season watch out.

BroncoWave
04-03-2016, 08:45 PM
What's telling, despite his good looking cumulative yardage is that his yards per reception was the lowest of his entire career. Didn't see the amount of him turning a short pass into a huge play that we are used to. Although maybe you can also attribute some of that to Manning not being able to throw the ball down the field anymore. Who knows. Like you said, North, we will find out a lot about DT this year.

Poet
04-03-2016, 08:56 PM
I don't know, maybe. It's really tough to differentiate those guys at the top. AB is clearly #1 right now, but guys like Julio, AJ, ODB, and Dez could all have valid claims at that #2 spot as well. Just based on their actual production last year along with talent, I think I might put Julio just a tick ahead of DT. But we are really splitting hairs at that point.

I don't think Jones is better than DT in regards to route running, and DT is superior at scoring TD's. I've also seen DT start out in the career with some bad QB's. The second he got a real QB he got hype. Not too hype, though.

BroncoWave
04-03-2016, 08:59 PM
I don't think Jones is better than DT in regards to route running, and DT is superior at scoring TD's. I've also seen DT start out in the career with some bad QB's. The second he got a real QB he got hype. Not too hype, though.

If he just gets a tad more hype this year he'll be golden.

Poet
04-03-2016, 09:07 PM
If he just gets a tad more hype this year he'll be golden.

If he gets TOO hype he's going to turn into KeyShawn Johnson.

BroncoWave
04-03-2016, 09:11 PM
How hype is too hype?

#philosophy

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-03-2016, 09:26 PM

I agree.....

Northman
04-03-2016, 09:34 PM
What's telling, despite his good looking cumulative yardage is that his yards per reception was the lowest of his entire career. Didn't see the amount of him turning a short pass into a huge play that we are used to. Although maybe you can also attribute some of that to Manning not being able to throw the ball down the field anymore. Who knows. Like you said, North, we will find out a lot about DT this year.

Yea, i think now that Manning's gone we will see how much he steps up because he's going to have to make more plays since our QB position is still not going to be out of this world.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-03-2016, 09:37 PM
It certainly impressed me to know that DT is one of just three in @NFL history w/ four straight 90-rec, 1,300-yd seasons

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-03-2016, 09:39 PM
Yea, i think now that Manning's gone we will see how much he steps up because he's going to have to make more plays since our QB position is still not going to be out of this world.

Dude, Denver had possibly the worst qb play in the nfl last year and he still put up 1300 yards.

tubby
04-03-2016, 09:44 PM
#thankspeyton

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-03-2016, 09:48 PM
#thankspeyton
#forcostingdt1500in2016

Northman
04-03-2016, 09:49 PM
Dude, Denver had possibly the worst qb play in the nfl last year and he still put up 1300 yards.

I know but he also had some very untimely drops. I just think that as one of the best players on the team he will need to step it up a bit in that regard. I would rather him sacrifice yards and become more of a factor on 3rd downs and in the redzone. I know people like to overreact whenever someone criticizes him but we all appreciate what he does but also understand there is room for improvement.

Poet
04-03-2016, 09:49 PM
How hype is too hype?

#philosophy

#Burfict

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-03-2016, 09:52 PM
#Burfict

#Crazyisascrazydoes

#forrestburfict

Poet
04-03-2016, 09:54 PM
#freedom

TXBRONC
04-03-2016, 10:14 PM
It certainly impressed me to know that DT is one of just three in @NFL history w/ four straight 90-rec, 1,300-yd seasons

About a month or so ago I reading Renick's mailbag and there several comments about trading D. Thomas because he had such a horrible season. :rolleyes:

Simple Jaded
04-03-2016, 11:21 PM
I think it could help his average if they don't run 5 WR screens a half.

MOtorboat
04-04-2016, 02:29 AM
#cantfixstupid

Three receivers in the history of the game.

BroncoWave
04-04-2016, 05:44 AM
I think it could help his average if they don't run 5 WR screens a half.

Yeah but we have been doing that pretty much his whole career, so I don't know that that explains his dip in YPR.

TXBRONC
04-04-2016, 08:08 AM
#cantfixstupid

#ihearyou

Hawgdriver
04-04-2016, 08:39 AM

wait. you heard of this dude named Green? What about Julio?

Hawgdriver
04-04-2016, 08:44 AM
There are plenty of statistical anomalies you could choose. What makes 4 years and 90 catches and 1300 yards so important? Yes, it's remarkable production. About as good as those that have done it in 4 out of any given 5 year stretch. How many have done that? Or what about 100 catches and 1200 yards? Idk. Seems cherry-picked.

DT is a stud, love him.

Poet
04-04-2016, 12:34 PM
There are plenty of statistical anomalies you could choose. What makes 4 years and 90 catches and 1300 yards so important? Yes, it's remarkable production. About as good as those that have done it in 4 out of any given 5 year stretch. How many have done that? Or what about 100 catches and 1200 yards? Idk. Seems cherry-picked.

DT is a stud, love him.

http://www.nfl.com/player/juliojones/2495454/careerstats Jones has two remarkable seasons, one really good season, and other seasons that ostensibly would have been great sans injury

http://www.nfl.com/player/demaryiusthomas/497328/careerstats

Thomas overcame a slow start and has had four straight stud years.

http://www.nfl.com/player/a.j.green/2495450/careerstats

Green has been the most consistent of the three. But at his best he isn't an eye-popping killer. He is however consistent as all get out and puts up numbers worthy of PB and AP consideration. I would rather have DT, who has had consistently great years, whose years tend to top Green's best years, but not sacrifice his consistency for two insane years like Jones'.

MOtorboat
04-04-2016, 01:09 PM
About as good as those that have done it in 4 out of any given 5 year stretch.

The number of receivers who have caught 90 passes for more than 1300 yards in 4 of 5 seasons is 4. So even if you add the criteria that you could have a year that could fall under that, it's still an elite data set.

90 catches and 1300 yards (or more) in one season has only happened 92 times. Only 16 players have done it multiple times consecutively, only five players have done it for four years in their entire career and only six players have done it three years in a row or more. It might seem like a cherry-picked stat, but it's really not because you can't get a more elite data set.

MOtorboat
04-04-2016, 01:11 PM
I don't know if I can link Play Index searches or not, but I'll try. I did two to come up with the numbers:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/player_streak_finder.cgi?request=1&streak_type=seasons&year_min=1920&year_max=2015&team_id=&opp_id=&game_type=R&game_location=&game_result=&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&game_day_of_week=&streak_event=rec&streak_event_gtlt=gt&streak_num=90&streak_event_2=rec_yds&streak_event_gtlt_2=gt&streak_num_2=1300&streak_length=2&c1stat=&c1comp=gt&c1val=&c2stat=&c2comp=gt&c2val=&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/psl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=1920&year_max=2015&season_start=1&season_end=-1&age_min=0&age_max=99&league_id=&team_id=&is_active=&is_hof=&pos_is_wr=Y&c1stat=rec&c1comp=gt&c1val=90&c2stat=rec_yds&c2comp=gt&c2val=1300&c3stat=&c3comp=gt&c3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&c5comp=&c5gtlt=lt&c6mult=1.0&c6comp=&order_by=pass_td&draft=0&draft_year_min=1936&draft_year_max=2015&type=&draft_round_min=0&draft_round_max=99&draft_slot_min=1&draft_slot_max=500&draft_pick_in_round=0&draft_league_id=&draft_team_id=&college_id=all&conference=any&draft_pos_is_qb=Y&draft_pos_is_rb=Y&draft_pos_is_wr=Y&draft_pos_is_te=Y&draft_pos_is_e=Y&draft_pos_is_t=Y&draft_pos_is_g=Y&draft_pos_is_c=Y&draft_pos_is_ol=Y&draft_pos_is_dt=Y&draft_pos_is_de=Y&draft_pos_is_dl=Y&draft_pos_is_ilb=Y&draft_pos_is_olb=Y&draft_pos_is_lb=Y&draft_pos_is_cb=Y&draft_pos_is_s=Y&draft_pos_is_db=Y&draft_pos_is_k=Y&draft_pos_is_p=Y

Simple Jaded
04-04-2016, 09:07 PM
Yeah but we have been doing that pretty much his whole career, so I don't know that that explains his dip in YPR.

Agreed but I was talking about moving forward, I think they'll always be in the gameplan but hopefully not as much.

Poet
04-04-2016, 09:08 PM

It's easier to stop the screens when the QB can't complete a deep pass. Brock had some accuracy issues, and Manning was...well...Manning.