PDA

View Full Version : Joe Ellis saw John Elway's vision come to life in Gary Kubiak's message

Denver Native (Carol)
03-25-2016, 05:57 PM
BOCA RATON, Fla. — Broncos president Joe Ellis walked through the Boca Raton Resort Club with repeated interruptions. An NFL owner congratulated him on the Broncos' season. A general manager followed suit. They appreciated the Broncos' Super Bowl 50 victory, even if it preyed on credulity.

A year ago at the owners meetings, executives groused about Denver, wondering aloud the sanity of mutually parting ways with coach John Fox, who had won four consecutive AFC West titles. It signaled, to critics, what was wrong with the cutthroat NFL.

Yet Ellis learned long ago that John Elway's instincts are almost always right. Elway believed a change could help, trusted that Gary Kubiak could shove the Broncos across the finish line. On Dec. 20 in the visiting locker room at Heinz Field, Ellis saw Elway's vision come to life as Kubiak stood in front of the players. The Broncos had squandered a 14-point halftime lead, and stunningly, were facing the possibility of becoming the first team to start 9-2 and miss the playoffs. What happened next shaped a season, providing a storied chapter in the organization's history.

"Gary called the team together and he bared his soul. He said guys, 'Are you in with me or not?' It was part anger, part emotion, part frustration, but a huge part passion," said Ellis, who was in the room. "He was putting everything he had into this and he wanted his players to join him. And they did. They responded and never lost another game."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29685868/joe-ellis-saw-john-elways-vision-come-life

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-25-2016, 06:17 PM
Awesome, I love it.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-25-2016, 08:53 PM
You get the feeling Elway has them right where he wants them

BOCA RATON, Fla. — John Elway walked into huddles with Prestone running through his veins. With the crowd at full throat, Elway navigated goosebump drives for improbable victories.

Broncos president Joe Ellis says Elway exercises similar calm as a general manager. The Broncos have endured a litany of losses this offseason, their roster raided in free agency. Only one move came as a surprise: the loss of quarterback Brock Osweiler.

The Broncos thought they had a good relationship with Osweiler. Figured they could iron out a deal. Then he stopped returning their calls. And it became obvious that he was looking elsewhere. When the Broncos offered a four-year, $64-million deal with more than $30 million guaranteed and didn't hear back, they knew they were out. They took a deep breath, relieved Osweiler didn't say yes to an amount the Broncos were not comfortable reaching for a quarterback with seven career starts.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/renck/ci_29686092/renck-john-elway-at-his-best-when-clock-ticking-pressuring-mounting

TXBRONC
03-26-2016, 09:28 AM
I was always behind the hiring of Kubiak as the head coach. Anyway, I trust that Elway knows what he is doing. Even if Denver does take a step back this season, I am confident the team will bounce back quickly with him at the helm.

Dapper Dan
03-26-2016, 10:49 AM
I wonder if Kubes will get tired of living in John's shadow. :lol: