PDA

View Full Version : Broncos offense has dramatically altered in the offseason

Denver Native (Carol)
03-20-2016, 12:00 PM
Football consumes Mark Sanchez.

He is a gym rat, a film junkie, devoted to a profession with no wife, girlfriend or children to distract him. When he learned of his trade to the Broncos, he headed to Mission Viejo (Calif.) High School to work out like he does almost every day. But something was different.

"I haven't seen him so happy in a long time," said Mission Viejo coach Bob Johnson, whom Sanchez played for and still works with during the offseason. "He was elated. It was like he just woke up and opened a Christmas present. He's in the right spot, and I think he's really going to flourish in the new system."

In an offseason full of twists and turns from the moment Brock Osweiler became a Houston Texan, the Broncos' offense has become their most dramatically altered unit. Six weeks after winning Super Bowl 50 and a month from the beginning of offseason workouts, the Denver offense is projected to have six new starters. The offensive line eschewed a nip and tuck for a complete face-lift.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29662443/mark-this-down-its-upheaval-o-8800-ense

I am willing to see what Mark can do.

MOtorboat
03-20-2016, 01:33 PM

BroncoBuckeye73
03-20-2016, 01:43 PM
My thought is that Mark only starts a handful of games before either Cook or Paxton, whichever one we draft, gets put in around week 6 or 7. But who knows people thought he would start for Philly last year, so maybe we ride the Sanchize into the playoffs this year.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-20-2016, 02:01 PM
If he puts in the time he could be a good fit in this offense.

NightTerror218
03-20-2016, 04:20 PM
If he puts in the time he could be a good fit in this offense.

That is my thought. He was not a bust QB but not a wow QB. He reminds me of an Alex Smith type. He has plays like butt fumble that hang over him.

His problem will be ints.

Krugan
03-20-2016, 04:56 PM
hrmmm, havent we already sen what he can do before?

I have zero faith in that guy, if he couldnt play for the jets....

TXBRONC
03-20-2016, 05:02 PM
Sanchez might be a good fit for the offense but he's still just a temporary fix.

NightTerror218
03-20-2016, 05:20 PM

You are referring to the jets. That fan base will kill anyone. Nobody plays good for them. Sanchez did well with chip kelly. He will do better for kubiak, who asks less from his QB then other systems.

NightTerror218
03-20-2016, 05:21 PM
Sanchez might be a good fit for the offense but he's still just a temporary fix.

1 yr rental right now. He may get vet backup money at end of season when contract is up.

TXBRONC
03-20-2016, 06:01 PM

Sanchez with a good running game and a solid defense made the playoffs and actually won more than just one playoff game. I don't think he's being seen as long term solution but as an interim.

Joel
03-20-2016, 07:12 PM

For the sake of argument: Who HAS played well for the Jets? Rex Ryan's a defensive genius, but no one ever accused him of offensive brilliance nor developing it in players. The Spawn of Martyball's little better. After 2011, I felt Tebow had the physical talent and work ethic to develop his woefully lacking skills IF he had a qualified coach willing to extensively mentor him: So I gave him up as a lost cause when he went to the Jets, who couldn't find their offense with both hands.

Maybe Sanchez is in the same boat. I'm VERY dubious of trying to "develop" a QB nearly 30 (it's part of why I gave up on Tebow: Going to NY removed all hope of finding the coaching he needed in time to do him any good.) By that point, a QB has usually ALREADY developed instincts and habits that may be good, bad or indifferent, but are ALWAYS deeply ingrained, hard to remove. Starters in desperate situations have done desperate things so often and long they became reflexive.

I still believe that's what happened with Plummer: Shanny and Kubiak tried to make him a disciplined meticulous pocket passer, but could never make it last a whole season. After half a decade of scrambling around trying to salvage a Cardinals team that had been awful since WW II, Plummer had become what he'd always be, so trying to transform him into a legit NFL QB could only be a frustrating thankless task for coach and player alike.

CoachChaz
03-20-2016, 07:24 PM
Temporary until he loses the job to Kaep in training camp. Gotta be crazy if we dont think that deal is still going to happen

Slick
03-20-2016, 07:28 PM
I'm going to reserve any kind of judgement until I see him play. I'm not excited about the signing but I like it better than Kaepernick or Fitzpatrick.

He'll have more weapons than he had in New York.

NightTerror218
03-20-2016, 07:29 PM
Temporary until he loses the job to Kaep in training camp. Gotta be crazy if we dont think that deal is still going to happen

Salary will be issue I think.

CoachChaz
03-20-2016, 07:34 PM
Salary will be issue I think.

Well, if any of the reports from Kaep's camp are true that Denver has been able to agree on a restructure...just not the compensation to SF...then salary should be easy to deal with. Even if they dont restructure, his current contract is pretty damn team friendly.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-20-2016, 08:20 PM

Well, since he took Okung to the cleaners it appears we have plenty of cap space.

Ziggy
03-21-2016, 06:52 AM
That is my thought. He was not a bust QB but not a wow QB. He reminds me of an Alex Smith type. He has plays like butt fumble that hang over him.

His problem will be ints.

He was a huge bust in New York. They traded up to get him in the first round. People talk about him getting to the AFC championship game his first two years in NY. The Jets D got him to the AFC championship game those 2 years. He was horrible. 29 TD's, 33 INTS, and a 54.3 % completion rate those two seasons. They moved on to Geno Smith after 4 years. That's how desperate they were to start anyone not named Sanchez.

He's a solid backup, but there's no way Elway brought him in to run this offense as the starting QB.

TXBRONC
03-21-2016, 07:20 AM
He was a huge bust in New York. They traded up to get him in the first round. People talk about him getting to the AFC championship game his first two years in NY. The Jets D got him to the AFC championship game those 2 years. He was horrible. 29 TD's, 33 INTS, and a 54.3 % completion rate those two seasons. They moved on to Geno Smith after 4 years. That's how desperate they were to start anyone not named Sanchez.

He's a solid backup, but there's no way Elway brought him in to run this offense as the starting QB.

I've mentioned that Sanchez got to the playoffs with the Jets but, I also mentioned that he had solid defense and a good running game. Even so he did play a part in the Jets success. I agree that Elway didn't bring him in to start but he did bring him in because of his starting experience. Worst case scenario is Sanchez starts for a year.

NightTerror218
03-21-2016, 09:49 AM

He was signed to a big extension by the jets and then moved on from him. It was not a draft oh bust time to draft another thing.

No saying is good but there are worse starters out there

CoachChaz
03-21-2016, 10:47 AM
Expect him to be Kaep's backup.

Northman
03-21-2016, 10:51 AM
He was a huge bust in New York. They traded up to get him in the first round. People talk about him getting to the AFC championship game his first two years in NY. The Jets D got him to the AFC championship game those 2 years. He was horrible. 29 TD's, 33 INTS, and a 54.3 % completion rate those two seasons.

Meh, you've sold him a bit short here as well though. It wasnt like Mark was a seasoned vet when he helped lead them to those AFCCG's. It was his first 2 seasons in the NFL and thats not half bad considering. Is he the answer as a starter? Probably not. But he is hardly worse than Kaepernick or RGIII in that regard. At the end of the day if Elway starts him it will be because at this point he has more experience than anyone currently on the roster and i highly doubt that Denver is going to trade up in the first for a QB so whoever they do end up drafting later in the draft i doubt they will be starting right out of the box.

Hawgdriver
03-21-2016, 12:35 PM
I'm reserving judgment until I see how he competes under Kubes. He'll be serviceable at worst.

CoachChaz
03-21-2016, 01:21 PM
I'm reserving judgment until I see how he competes under Kubes. He'll be serviceable at worst.

Actually, I think at worst, he'll mirror the stats of Manning last year. At best, he puts up Oz numbers.

NightTerror218
03-21-2016, 04:57 PM
Actually, I think at worst, he'll mirror the stats of Manning last year. At best, he puts up Oz numbers.

He did better than that in chip kelly offense

TXBRONC
03-21-2016, 09:33 PM
At the end of the day the options available via free agency or trade are not eye popping.

Davii
03-21-2016, 10:17 PM
I think Sanchez and Kap's floor for play is about the same but I think Kap has a higher ceiling.

Simple Jaded
03-21-2016, 10:37 PM
Sanchez reminds me of Plummer when he came to Denver.

TXBRONC
03-21-2016, 11:12 PM

Does Sanchez drive a Honda Element?

Cugel
03-21-2016, 11:58 PM
Well, if any of the reports from Kaep's camp are true that Denver has been able to agree on a restructure...just not the compensation to SF...then salary should be easy to deal with. Even if they dont restructure, his current contract is pretty damn team friendly.

His salary won't be the issue. The issue is whether the 49ers will come off their demand for a 2nd round pick, and will take the Broncos 3rd round pick, or whether they will keep Kaepernick instead, which they might very well do.

They might view both Gabbert and Kaepernick as 1 year rentals and draft a QB with their #7 overall pick or maybe get a guy in the 2nd round like Dak Prescott - although the Cowboys just worked Prescott out and there's speculation he might be the Cowboy's pick at #35. I could see the 49ers surprising everybody by taking him at the top of the 2nd round. People say he's a 3rd or 4th round pick, but QBs are always overdrafted. Every year.

Just remember that Johnnie Manzel went at #22 of the first round.

Simple Jaded
03-22-2016, 10:35 PM
Does Sanchez drive a Honda Element?

Old Chevy Astro with 22's and fuzzy dice.

TXBRONC
03-23-2016, 02:34 AM
Old Chevy Astro with 22's and fuzzy dice.

Then how does he remind you of Plummer because without a beard and a Honda it's hard to be like Jake Plummer.

Simple Jaded
03-24-2016, 04:07 PM
Then how does he remind you of Plummer because without a beard and a Honda it's hard to be like Jake Plummer.

Height.

Cugel
03-25-2016, 06:59 PM

I'd like to think you're right but I don't.

#1 - Are the Broncos going to have FOUR QBs on the 53 man roster this year? No. Yet they will have to draft a developmental QB somewhere in the draft and coach him for a year or two to get him ready since they lost Osweiler.

Are they going to cut Trevor Siemian? They like him and want to continue to develop him. But, they can't put him on the practice squad.

So, where's there room for another QB ? If they traded for Kaepernick that would be 4 QBs - including the rookie draft pick.

#2 - Elway says that they're not in a hurry to find a QB. That was mostly in response to people constantly asking him about the Kaepernick trade. He's feeling the pressure from the fans and media who want Colin Kaepernick because he's a big name and people are still shocked by the loss of Osweiler.

But, it looks more and more like they are going into this season with 3 QBs - #1 Mark Sanchez, #2 Trevor Siemian, and #3 - a developmental draft pick.

They could have signed RGIII for the same backup money he got from Cleveland - he would obviously have preferred to come here, but they weren't interested.

And realistically, who else is there? Ryan Fitzpatrick still wants $18M a year. He thinks he's entitled to that because he had a better year than Osweiler - although he's 33 and Osweiler 25. Even when he comes down substantially from that demand, he's still going to be somewhere around the $14-15M a year mark which is much too high for the Broncos.

Fitzpatrick is not coming to Denver either. If were willing to play for $11-12M he could just sign with the Jets since that's what they are offering him.

Know who else is available? JOhnny Manziel, Tavaris Jackson, Bruce Gradkowski, Charlie Whitehurst, Josh Johnson, T.J. Yates, Michael Vick, Brandon Weeden, Jimmy Clausen, Josh Freeman, Michael Lindley.

Just kill me now. :tsk:

Ravage!!!
03-25-2016, 07:11 PM

pretty good comparison, actually.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-25-2016, 07:14 PM

Sanchez has more arm talent than Plummer.

Ravage!!!
03-25-2016, 07:18 PM
Sanchez has more arm talent than Plummer.

Probably....but certainly not enough for me to make a big distinction between the two. I think that their careers "seem' to ahve the same kind of feel to them.

They both played for poor teams, that did go to the playoffs. Sanchez had more success in the playoffs than Plummer did when he was in AZ, but AZ (at the time) was a pretty poor team.

Both are looked at as just passing QBs that would be good back-ups and not exciting starters. Although, Plummer at the time was probably looked upon as a better starter then than Sanchez is now, purely because Sanchez did spend time as a back-up while Plummer didn't have that.

It's an interesting comparison for sure.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-25-2016, 07:21 PM
Probably....but certainly not enough for me to make a big distinction between the two. I think that their careers "seem' to ahve the same kind of feel to them.

They both played for poor teams, that did go to the playoffs. Sanchez had more success in the playoffs than Plummer did when he was in AZ, but AZ (at the time) was a pretty poor team.

Both are looked at as just passing QBs that would be good back-ups and not exciting starters. Although, Plummer at the time was probably looked upon as a better starter then than Sanchez is now, purely because Sanchez did spend time as a back-up while Plummer didn't have that.

It's an interesting comparison for sure.

I do see the similarities, but I also think Sanchez would be better in the wco because of his ability to throw outside the numbers, especially on bootlegs. There were some throws Jake just couldn't make.

Simple Jaded
03-26-2016, 02:39 AM

That was a compliment, btw.

TXBRONC
03-26-2016, 09:15 AM
Height.

But there is a difference of 27 lbs in weight. Sanchez is 224 lbs and Plummer in his playing day was 197 lbs.

NightTerror218
03-31-2016, 01:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/19687/jeff-heuermans-return-a-big-piece-of-broncos-offseason-plan

Big plans for Heuerman.

Simple Jaded
03-31-2016, 02:54 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/19687/jeff-heuermans-return-a-big-piece-of-broncos-offseason-plan

Big plans for Heuerman.

Would love to see Heuerman and Vannett reunited in Broncos 2-TE sets.

dogfish
03-31-2016, 04:27 PM
plummer had way better wheels than sanchez-- and an absolute rag arm. . . gonna be real interesting to see where they go with this QB thing-- JFE's gonna earn even more respect if he manages to pull this shit off!

The Glue Factory
03-31-2016, 05:00 PM
jfe's gonna earn even more respect if he manages to pull this shit off!

This! ^^^

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-01-2016, 09:43 AM
Is anyone else surprised Clady is still on the roster?

dogfish
04-01-2016, 10:59 AM

they must think he has some trade value. . .

Mike
04-01-2016, 11:14 AM
they must think he has some trade value. . .

And no sense in making a move when you don't have to.

TXBRONC
04-01-2016, 11:30 AM

Not terribly surprised, it's like Dog said Elway probably thinks Clady has some trade value.

Cugel
04-01-2016, 11:40 AM
No point getting rid of Clady right now prior to the draft. They don't have to release him until he starts earning pay-checks. So, my guess is they try and see if some team might offer them something for him, and keep him on the roster right up to the trade deadline.

However, at some point they are going to need Clady's $9.5M to sign Von Miller and their draft picks. It doesn't look like anybody is going to offer the Broncos a pick for Clady since they'd rather just wait and sign him as an UFA, but that might change if a team has an injury for instance.

BroncoJoe
04-01-2016, 03:09 PM
#hottakesbycugel
#kingofstatingtheobvious

NightTerror218
04-01-2016, 04:47 PM
I think he is day 1 draft trade bait. I honestly think Elway will trade up for a QB. He may use a lot of the picks this year and next year but he will get him man.

Clady is a potential franchise LT for a team. That is some value for a team desperate there that wants someone who has proven self. We rag on him for injuries but we have enough seen how he can play in past.

No point to get rid of him now unless no takers after the draft.

slim
04-01-2016, 04:51 PM
Maybe we can trade him to Cleveland for the 2nd pick or to GB for Aaron Rodgers....

Mike
04-01-2016, 06:21 PM
Maybe we can trade him to Cleveland for the 2nd pick or to GB for Aaron Rodgers....

I think Cleveland would have to sweeten the deal with Joe Thomas for Elway to pull the trigger. No way we only take the 2nd pick for Clady.

TXBRONC
04-01-2016, 07:45 PM

It works for me.

Simple Jaded
04-01-2016, 09:45 PM
LT - Okung
LG - SambrailoSambrailo
C - Garcia
RG - Stephenson
RT - Clady

That is why Clady is still on the roster.

NightTerror218
04-01-2016, 10:54 PM
LT - Okung
LG - SambrailoSambrailo
C - Garcia
RG - Stephenson
RT - Clady

Nope.....he is trade bait. With him on roster we can not afford to pay our draft class. DO not have enough money.

Simple Jaded
04-01-2016, 10:58 PM
Nope.....he is trade bait. With him on roster we can not afford to pay our draft class. DO not have enough money.

Paycut for Clady and getting rid of Colquitt should be enough to sign rookies.

JPPT1974
04-02-2016, 12:09 AM
Yeah as really signing the rookies could save the team money.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-02-2016, 01:30 AM
LT - Okung
LG - SambrailoSambrailo
C - Garcia
RG - Stephenson
RT - Clady

Actually, Elway wants to Boise Broncos starting. That's why Sombraillo will be RG and Stevenson will be the swing tackle.

Simple Jaded
04-02-2016, 04:14 AM
Actually, Elway wants to Boise Broncos starting. That's why Sombraillo will be RG and Stevenson will be the swing tackle.

My sources tell me Elway hates Boise.

TXBRONC
04-02-2016, 08:14 AM

Idk Jaded, if Elway hates Boise State players he has a funny way of showing it because Parridis is going to start at center as far as I can tell.

Cugel
04-02-2016, 11:49 AM
#hottakesbycugel
#kingofstatingtheobvious

#snarkyassholbraindeadcommentbyBroncoJoe
#kingotwats

Cugel
04-02-2016, 11:51 AM

Only if they want to pay Clady his $9.5M because so far he's refused to take a pay cut down to where the Broncos want and it doesn't look like he's going to.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-02-2016, 02:21 PM

That's low, but it's been at least a week since you hit me below the belt. So, I suppose you were due.

Simple Jaded
04-02-2016, 05:37 PM
That's low, but it's been at least a week since you hit me below the belt. So, I suppose you were due.

I like Boise.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-02-2016, 07:12 PM
I like Boise.

When did you visit?

USA Today just rated Meridian as the #1 place to live.