PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign Russell Okung

VonDoom
03-17-2016, 03:09 PM
Worth a new thread? Sure:

Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson 7m7 minutes ago

Sources tell me that OT Russell Okung is close to finalizing a 5-year deal with the Denver #Broncos worth $10.6M per year.

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 2m2 minutes ago

Adam Schefter Retweeted Josina Anderson

This would enable Denver to be able to trade OT Ryan Clady...

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago

Russell Okung tells me he's agreed to terms to join the #Broncos.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 2m2 minutes ago

Broncos finalizing 5-year deal with LT Russell Okung per team source #9news #9sports

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 32s33 seconds ago

The belief is the #Broncos now try to trade LT Ryan Clady, with Okung agreeing to terms in Denver.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago

Russell Okung's agreement with the #Broncos (first reported by @JosinaAnderson) is 5 years, up to $12M per year.

NightTerror218
03-17-2016, 03:10 PM
Sounds like a team friendly deal

VonDoom
03-17-2016, 03:11 PM
Bill Barnwell ‏@billbarnwell 58s59 seconds ago

Quoted numbers for the Okung deal — five years at up to $12 million per — seem faker than most reported numbers around this time of year

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 44s44 seconds ago

Key factors in Russell Okung deal will be signing bonus, full guarantee at signing, and total cash flow through years one, two, and three.

VonDoom
03-17-2016, 03:12 PM
What do you think we could get for Clady? He's missed two of the last three seasons, and he's due $8.9 million as of now (we would take a $1.2 million dead money hit regardless).

Edmonton Bronco Fan
03-17-2016, 03:13 PM
From what I'm seeing early on with regard to term and numbers, liking this signing.

chazoe60
03-17-2016, 03:13 PM
Does Clady become a bargaining chip for Kaepernick? I don't know SF's Tackle situation.

Northman
03-17-2016, 03:14 PM
Good signing.

VonDoom
Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson 23s24 seconds ago

It was very important to Russell Okung to have the opportunity to stay at left tackle. He’s been firm on that & his belief in himself.

BroncoJoe
Does Clady become a bargaining chip for Kaepernick? I don't know SF's Tackle situation.

We're rolling with Sanchez. Get used to it.

VonDoom
03-17-2016, 03:15 PM
From what I'm seeing early on with regard to term and numbers, liking this signing.

Seems like a lot of money to me, considering we had approximately $10 million and change in cap space left. Depends on how it's structured, as always.

BroncoWave
03-17-2016, 03:16 PM
Seems like a lot of money to me, considering we had approximately $10 million and change in cap space left. Depends on how it's structured, as always.

Well once we get rid of Clady this will only really cost us maybe an extra 1 or 2 mil in cap space.

dogfish
03-17-2016, 03:17 PM
What do you think we could get for Clady? He's missed two of the last three seasons, and he's due $8.9 million as of now (we would take a $1.2 million dead money hit regardless).

i wouldn't think we could get anything for him. . . no one is trading for that contract for damaged goods. . . i'd assume they're just doing their due dilligence before they release him. . . maybe somebody would give up a conditional late rounder based on playing time if he makes their team?

VonDoom
03-17-2016, 03:19 PM
Well once we get rid of Clady this will only really cost us maybe an extra 1 or 2 mil in cap space.

Yes, true, I had forgotten that even though we kind of figured their contracts would wash. If we get anything for Clady it would be a bonus. Just seems like we're trading one injury prone LT for another at the same price. Not that I'm against it, mind you - I think Okung has more upside at this point. This also seems like Elway's way of doing business - trying to work it out with our current guy, if nothing happens, move on.

NightTerror218
03-17-2016, 03:20 PM
A desperate team could look to sign him to OT. Titans, miami come to mind.

Lancane
03-17-2016, 03:23 PM
Clady's value is about 5 mil. as maybe a swing tackle.

Poet
03-17-2016, 03:26 PM
Okung is a solid player. It's a quality signing. I give it three stars.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-17-2016, 03:27 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 1m

John Elway, 2/25, re: OL: "Obviously, that’s an area where we need to get better. That’s going to be a focal point for us this year."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 16m

Two new tackles in the last week. Paradis will be the only SB50 OL starter projected to be on 2016 first team.

VonDoom
03-17-2016, 03:28 PM
Thinking out loud ... this will cost us one of our comp picks next year. I wonder which one. If the AAV is $10.6 million, as Josina Anderson said, that puts it right in the middle of the Malik Jackson / Danny Trevathan AAV's. Probably the 3rd rounder for Jackson, I'd think.

G_Money
03-17-2016, 03:28 PM
I like it. Knowing our luck at tackle Okung will never play a down for us and Clady will go on to be a healthy All-Star somewhere else, but right now I'll take Okung for couple extra mill net that it cost us and call that a win.

We can still use an interior lineman in the draft IMO, but it's not as dire with Okung at LT and Stephenson and Sambrailo fighting it out at RT with the loser moving to guard, we look a LOT better than the Harris / Schofield mess from last season.

Poet
03-17-2016, 03:29 PM
I like it. Knowing our luck at tackle Okung will never play a down for us and Clady will go on to be a healthy All-Star somewhere else, but right now I'll take Okung for couple extra mill net that it cost us and call that a win.

We can still use an interior lineman in the draft IMO, but it's not as dire with Okung at LT and Stephenson and Sambrailo fighting it out at RT with the loser moving to guard, we look a LOT better than the Harris / Schofield mess from last season.

Okung has put up Pro Bowl caliber performances before, and had a season where he flirted with All-Pro, IIRC. Those types of seasons are still on the table, IMO.

VonDoom
03-17-2016, 03:32 PM
So our line currently looks something like ...

Okung / Sambrailo / Paradis / Garcia / Stephenson

... seems better than last year, that's for sure.

Buff
03-17-2016, 03:34 PM
The fact that we signed 2 tackles this offseason doesn't bode well for what we think about Sambrailo IMO. Also, given that the staff seems to be high on Garcia and Paradis - it makes me wonder what they plan to do with the last guard spot - or if they'd consider trying to bring in a more physically dominant center. The whole offseason has been surprising, as I figured we'd address the line through the draft and spend elsewhere.

LT - Okung
LG - Garcia
C - Paradis
RG - Schofield/Sambrailo
RT - Stephenson

GEM
03-17-2016, 03:46 PM
When your oline looks as bad as ours did, you don't have time to develop talent. With Harris and Mathis taking off via free agency, too many holes to fill via the draft. I still think we draft some for depth and possibly to compete for position.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-17-2016, 03:46 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 4m

#Broncos have agreed to terms on a five-year deal with LT Russell Okung, team source confirms. Facelift of Oline nearly complete

swaiy
03-17-2016, 03:47 PM
The fact that we signed 2 tackles this offseason doesn't bode well for what we think about Sambrailo IMO. Also, given that the staff seems to be high on Garcia and Paradis - it makes me wonder what they plan to do with the last guard spot - or if they'd consider trying to bring in a more physically dominant center. The whole offseason has been surprising, as I figured we'd address the line through the draft and spend elsewhere.

LT - Okung
LG - Garcia
C - Paradis
RG - Schofield/Sambrailo
RT - Stephenson

I'm pretty sure i read somewhere that Sambrailo would slide inside. Schofield should not even come close to starting. He should be a back up or swing tackle.

chazoe60
03-17-2016, 03:47 PM
So is Stephenson the RT for sure or is there a chance he plays RG and Sambrailo play RT?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-17-2016, 03:49 PM
Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson 25m

That’s the average over the 5 years. Again, he did not want to play on the right side despite pitches to do so.

Josina Anderson added,
Jesse Merrick @Jesse_Merrick
She's also reporting its a 5-year $10.6 mil deal https://twitter.com/josinaanderson

VonDoom
03-17-2016, 03:54 PM
So is Stephenson the RT for sure or is there a chance he plays RG and Sambrailo play RT?

I guess it can still be decided. I just remember everyone saying that Sambrailo would work better as a guard. We will find out.

Lancane
03-17-2016, 04:00 PM
The team loves Sambrailo, feel he is a better left guard and having a guard who can kick out at tackle is paramount in today's NFL to save on roster space.

slim
03-17-2016, 04:02 PM
Breaking news: Broncos have signed Okung

artie_dale
03-17-2016, 04:03 PM
Very nice. I guess this means we stick with Mark Honcho at QB.

G_Money
03-17-2016, 04:04 PM
The team loves Sambrailo, feel he is a better left guard and having a guard who can kick out at tackle is paramount in today's NFL to save on roster space.

I expect Sambrailo and Stephenson to fight it out for RT rather than it being a de facto thing - just that they expect Stephenson to win (like back when Kuper was in the RT discussions there for a bit). And like you said, positional versatility is a godsend. Anything that stops Schofield from getting on the field at tackle ever again is a good thing.

CoachChaz
03-17-2016, 04:06 PM
Let me know the next time Okung plays 16 games.

G_Money
03-17-2016, 04:09 PM
Drafting Paxton Lynch to ride the pine behind Sanchez then, right?

slim
03-17-2016, 04:10 PM
Is he a better player than Clady?

CoachChaz
03-17-2016, 04:12 PM

Both are usually injured. Clady has been to 4 Pro-Bowls...Okung to 1. He's a good LT when he's on the field.

Rick
03-17-2016, 04:12 PM

He was last year.

G_Money
03-17-2016, 04:14 PM
Let me know the next time Okung plays 16 games.

It'd be the first time.

IMO they wanted Clady back and were willing to take a risk on an injury-prone OT... but not the one we had at that price. At least with Okung's injuries he's been able to get on the field and still be productive. Clady misses entire seasons. And Denver was willing to pay for that and got Okung to agree to what appears to be a $5 mil guarantee with a bunch of incentives the first year.

Another good reason to have Sambrailo and Stephenson both available for tackle duty for the couple of games Okung is likely to miss. And why I'm still drafting a lineman early if I'm Denver. We can't get caught without useful depth again.

UnderArmour
03-17-2016, 04:15 PM
Deal is actually one year $5 million, with a team option for 4 years at $12 million
https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/710571623468826624

The Russell Okung deal is actually structured as a one-year, $5m deal with a team option for the final four years at $12m per year.
Broncos got an absolute steal on a "show-me" deal. Clady should still be a goner.

CoachChaz
03-17-2016, 04:16 PM
It'd be the first time.

IMO they wanted Clady back and were willing to take a risk on an injury-prone OT... but not the one we had at that price. At least with Okung's injuries he's been able to get on the field and still be productive. Clady misses entire seasons. And Denver was willing to pay for that and got Okung to agree to what appears to be a $5 mil guarantee with a bunch of incentives the first year.

Another good reason to have Sambrailo and Stephenson both available for tackle duty for the couple of games Okung is likely to miss. And why I'm still drafting a lineman early if I'm Denver. We can't get caught without useful depth again.

I agree. If I have to pay 10 mil for an injury risk at the position, my choice would be Okung over Clady. Plus...I still dont think Clady will ever be what he was before the Lisfranc injury. Typically, no athlete ever is.

slim
03-17-2016, 04:16 PM
Both are usually injured. Clady has been to 4 Pro-Bowls...Okung to 1. He's a good LT when he's on the field.

If we keep them both, maybe we can get a total of 16 games out of them.

slim
03-17-2016, 04:17 PM
Deal is actually one year $5 million, with a team option for 4 years at $12 million

Broncos got an absolute steal on a "show-me" deal. Clady should still be a goner.

That makes me feel better

Denver Native (Carol)
03-17-2016, 04:20 PM
from article:

Okung made the rare move of deciding to represent himself, which was thought to have delayed his signing a bit since he could not negotiate with teams until a week ago Wednesday when the free agent signing period began.

Okung hired former NFL agent Jimmy Halsell to help him with the process.

Okung said in an interview during training camp last year that he considered representing himself to be as important as anything he would ever do.

NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport reported that the Broncos may now look to trade Clady, who could become an option for the Seahawks. Clady has two years left on a contract that has salary cap hits of $10.1 million in 2016 and $10.6 million in 2017. The high cap numbers have led to speculation that the Broncos may have to eventually release Clady.

full article - http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/report-russell-okung-nearing-huge-deal-with-denver-broncos/

UnderArmour

Clady has missed two seasons(out after two games in one of those), but the other 6 seasons he started all 16 games. Okung has -never- started an entire NFL season. Broncos should be able to hold onto Clady through the draft and force a trade, so long as they don't acquire a QB between now and then.

VonDoom

I was just going to post this. Tremendous. It's actually a lot like the deal the Jaguars just gave Kelvin Beachum, for the same reason (injury concern).

LTC Pain
03-17-2016, 04:22 PM
I'm pretty sure i read somewhere that Sambrailo would slide inside. Schofield should not even come close to starting. He should be a back up or swing tackle.

I read the same thing from 2-3 sources. Ty will play LG.

Rick
03-17-2016, 04:23 PM

If that is the case I expect him as a 1 year option while we groom Sambrailo another year before kicking him to LT.

G_Money
03-17-2016, 04:23 PM
I agree. If I have to pay 10 mil for an injury risk at the position, my choice would be Okung over Clady. Plus...I still dont think Clady will ever be what he was before the Lisfranc injury. Typically, no athlete ever is.

Yeah, the Lisfranc is what got me too. Just a very large man who needs his mobility, and that injury is a killer. The Broncos didn't want to place that bet. Okung wanted to prove he could be a LT (no interest in RT per the reports) so the Broncos gave him a "prove it" contract with incentives. If he can play LT and stay healthy, maybe he gets the 4/48 at the end.

If not, he can move to RT for cheaper or we can go another way. It's a reasonable deal.

dogfish
03-17-2016, 04:25 PM
Clady has missed two seasons(out after two games in one of those), but the other 6 seasons he started all 16 games. Okung has -never- started an entire NFL season. Broncos should be able to hold onto Clady through the draft and force a trade, so long as they don't acquire a QB between now and then.

talib's never played 16 games either-- it worried me a lot when we signed him. . . our staff is top notch, so i'll hope for the best. . .

G_Money
03-17-2016, 04:26 PM
A 20 mil guarantee over 4 years doesn't kill the Broncos either if it doesn't work out, even if they do take him up on that 4/48 extension.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-17-2016, 04:44 PM
The Broncos have seen plenty of players float out the door since Super Bowl 50. On Thursday, they invited a new face into the fold.

Former Seahawks offensive tackle Russell Okung told NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport that he's agreed to terms on a contract that could be worth up to $53 million. He has a one-year deal with the team worth $5 million that includes a four-year, $48 million option if the Broncos choose to pick it up. With incentives, he can make up to $8 million in 2016. The Broncos later confirmed the deal.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000645373/article/russell-okung-broncos-agree-to-a-5year-53m-deal

Slick
03-17-2016, 04:54 PM
I freaked out a little until I saw the details. That seemed like a lot of money given his history.

NightTerror218
03-17-2016, 05:05 PM
Mike klis

The turth: LT Russell Okung got 1-yr, $5M deal -- providing he passes 2 physicals. 4-yr, $48M team option prior to 2017 league year. #9news

DenBronx
03-17-2016, 05:25 PM
Elway strikes again. Getting a bargain for superior talent all while fixing a huge problem. Our OL has been pathetic at times and what does he do? He prioritizes OL and immediately signs a RT/LT.

DenBronx
03-17-2016, 05:30 PM
Keep our core defense together. Bolster our OL. Resign our key RB. Get a game managing QB and I think we still will be a 10 plus win team that is built with a winning formula to go deep into the playoffs.

Run the ball, make little mistakes in the passing attack and play keep away on offense while playing aggressive defense. I still suspect we will sign a veteran RB like Morris or Foster. CJ and Foster behind a solid line in Kubiaks system with our defense and nobody is going to want to see us again in January.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-17-2016, 05:32 PM
Okung is one of the best run blocking tackles in football, but his pass protection is so-so.

Thats what I remember from watching Seattle anyway.

The Glue Factory
03-17-2016, 05:35 PM

So we get 2 games out of Clady when he hits IR and 14+ from Okung?

SmilinAssasSin27
03-17-2016, 05:45 PM
Love this. Allows us to go BPA at 31. Still need qb, ol, coverage lb and a malik type, but neither has to be in the first round now.

slim
03-17-2016, 05:45 PM
So we get 2 games out of Clady when he hits IR and 14+ from Okung?

Yes. That should work

VonDoom
03-17-2016, 05:52 PM
Okung is one of the best run blocking tackles in football, but his pass protection is so-so.

Thats what I remember from watching Seattle anyway.

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 1h1 hour ago

Okung has allowed fewest sacks (20) in #NFL among OTs who have started at least half of their team’s gms in each season since 2010 #Broncos

OrangeHoof
03-17-2016, 05:57 PM
The Russell Okung deal is actually structured as a one-year, $5m deal with a team option for the final four years at $12m per year.

< Emily Latella > OH....that's different.< /Emily Latella >

TXBRONC
03-17-2016, 06:13 PM
I expected we would hear that Okung was signed today. Yes he's missed games but I going to guess he's missed less than Clady.

Cugel
03-17-2016, 06:22 PM

LT - Okung
LG - Garcia
C - Paradis
RG - Schofield/Sambrailo
RT - Stephenson

That's not right. The Broncos are reportedly very high on Sambrailo, and Elway has had only glowing tributes to say about his hard work ethic and preparation. But, he was a rookie last year and has only played 3 games in this league and they can move him inside to G and start him.

So, they like him, but if last season taught anything it's about NOT going with a rookie as a starter on your T spot. There will not be ONE rookie this season starting on the OL even if they get a guy in the first round.

CoachChaz
03-17-2016, 06:28 PM
Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 1h1 hour ago

Okung has allowed fewest sacks (20) in #NFL among OTs who have started at least half of their team’s gms in each season since 2010 #Broncos

Considering how often Wilson gets sacked, this statement is pleasantly surprising

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-17-2016, 06:30 PM
Considering how often Wilson gets sacked, this statement is pleasantly surprising

The left side of their line was far and away their strength.

Cugel
03-17-2016, 06:31 PM
From Rotoworld (http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5632/russell-okung):

FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports new Broncos LT Russell Okung's "five-year deal" is actually a one-year, $5 million deal with a four-year team option.
He can earn another $3 million in 2016 through incentives. This makes much more sense than the initially reported five-year pact worth an annual $10.6 million. Going on 28, Okung has serious injury and consistency question marks. If he excels in 2016, the Broncos get to exercise a four-year option worth an annual $12 million. It's a low-risk deal for GM John Elway, who is beginning to stake a claim to being the best in the business.

Okung is currently recovering from shoulder surgery — and has frequently underperformed. It speaks to how difficult it is to find a left tackle. Okung's addition means the Broncos will be moving on from Ryan Clady, either via trade or release. Clady missed all of 2015 with a torn ACL. Stop-gap Ryan Harris signed with the Steelers, so the Broncos will have little room for error with Okung's fragile health.

Okung suffered a dislocated shoulder in the Divisional Round loss to the Panthers. It is yet another injury for a player who has not played a full 16-game season yet in the NFL. The No. 6 overall pick of the 2010 draft, Okung will likely find a colder market than he anticipates.

Okung was whipped by DE Mario Addison in the second quarter, and Addison hit Russell Wilson as he threw his second interception. Okung was hurt on the play. The free agent-to-be missed three games earlier this season with a calf injury. Okung has never played a full 16-game season in the NFL.

Seahawks LT Russell Okung suffered a calf strain Week 15 against the Browns.
Pete Carroll did not know the severity of the injury following the game, but he indicated Okung could miss some time. Alvin Bailey replaced Okung at left tackle against Cleveland.

Seahawks declared T Russell Okung, RB Bryce Brown, TE Cooper Helfet, DE David King, CB Tye Smith, G Kristjan Sokoli and FS Steven Terrell inactive for Week 8 against the Cowboys.
Sitting Okung was probably the right choice, particularly with Seattle on bye next week. Alvin Bailey will fill in at left tackle. Cliff Avril (ankle), Marcus Burley (hand), Demarcus Dobbs (shoulder), Jordan Hill (quad), Patrick Lewis (ankle), Marshawn Lynch (hamstring), Nick Moody (ankle) and Thomas Rawls (calf) are all active.

Okung will be 28 in October and has been a solid blindside protector (when healthy) for the Seahawks since they took him sixth overall in 2010.

Seahawks LT Russell Okung (bruised lung) will miss 1-2 weeks.
Okung suffered a scary chest wall injury when he got hit by Ray McDonald during Sunday's Week 15 win over the 49ers. The 2012 Pro Bowler will be replaced by Alvin Bailey, who will have his hands full at Arizona Sunday. Russell Wilson took seven sacks the last time these two teams met.
Related: Alvin Bailey
Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
Tue, Dec 16, 2014 08:20:00 AM

Russell Okung (chest wall) has been released from the hospital.
Okung left Sunday's win over the 49ers while spitting blood. His status going forward is uncertain, with Alvin Bailey serving as the backup at left tackle.
Source: ProFootballTalk on NBCSports.com
Sun, Dec 14, 2014 08:32:00 PM

He might have been inconsistent, but he is a tremendous talent. In the last 3 years he's missed 8, 2 and 3 games. Clady has missed 14, 0, and 16 games the last three seasons. And he played pretty badly in 2014 when he was healthy.

Limited to two games by a Lisfranc sprain in 2013, Clady was essentially replacement-level in his 2014 return. Clady turns 30 in September.

VonDoom
03-17-2016, 06:38 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 41m41 minutes ago

Okung: Broncos are "a great organization," one of just "a few" ... wants to be a part of that.

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 40m40 minutes ago

#Broncos Okung "The class and integrity that goes with Denver is something I wanted to be a part of."

Okung, on his contract: "It's a bit intricate, but I thought it was the best deal for me moving forward."

Okung: The shoulder "is good."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 40m40 minutes ago

Russell Okung: "I thought it was the best deal for me. Denver is the place I want to be for the long haul."

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 40m40 minutes ago

#Broncos Okung "I'm very familiar with the scheme they run, I understand all the concepts."

Okung: "I know these guys are a championship-caliber team and I'm glad I can be a part of it.

RE: Broncos' QB situation, Okung said Broncos "told me enough to want me to be a part of the team."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 39m39 minutes ago

Okung: proposed rule change about chop blocks won't affect him. "We've never chopped a guy, ever."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 39m39 minutes ago

Okung: "I got a really good understanding for what the zone scheme is. ... Whatever they ask me to do, I'm ready to do it."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 39m39 minutes ago

Okung: "I got the deal that I wanted."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 10m10 minutes ago

Russell Okung on playing LT for Broncos: "They had a hole there and they wanted to bring a guy in. I can service that need."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 8m8 minutes ago

Okung on Broncos' FA moves: "They made a good decision in bringing me in. You make decisions like that, you’re headed the right way.” (!!!)

VonDoom
03-17-2016, 06:38 PM
https://twitter.com/psmyth12/status/710597243976359937

Cugel
03-17-2016, 06:39 PM

The Seahawks OL was as bad as Denver's last year. One big reason is that they stupidly traded their Pro-Bowl C Max Unger for TE Jimmy Graham, who doesn't like to block, and who was injured through much of 2015 and had zero impact. Their OL was a hot mess entering this season and has not improved with the loss of Okung.

One thing, Pete Carroll doesn't like to spend money on his OL.

TXBRONC
03-17-2016, 06:42 PM

I remember hearing this last season that the Seahawks' line was bad but was that true two seasons prior to this one?

Cugel
03-17-2016, 06:44 PM
Frankly, this is an amazing move by Elway. The worst problem on the team outside of QB was fixing the horrible OL. Well, entering the season they've managed to do it, even before the draft.

They had a choice of Ryan Clady, a former Pro-bowler, and Russell Okung, another former Pro-Bowler, and top 10 pick who is 2 years younger. He was the top FA LT available and Elway snapped him up for what is essentially a $5M, one year deal, which is the same deal they wanted to give Ryan Clady! They took Clady's money, and gave it to Okung and said "thanks for the memories Ryan!" :wave:

Now they probably trade Clady for a 4th round pick or something. I'd still like to see them keep him just as insurance, but that ain't happening.

Edit:
"Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 41m41 minutes ago

Okung, on his contract: "It's a bit intricate, but I thought it was the best deal for me moving forward."

Okung basically got pwnd on his deal. He doesn't have a lawyer so he hasn't figured it out yet. :laugh:

If he plays well, and the re-up his contract for next year he'll be fine. If not. . . . . ouch!

TXBRONC
03-17-2016, 06:46 PM
Frankly, this is an amazing move by Elway. The worst problem on the team outside of QB was fixing the horrible OL. Well, entering the season they've managed to do it, even before the draft.

They had a choice of Ryan Clady, a former Pro-bowler, and Russell Okung, another former Pro-Bowler, and top 10 pick who is 2 years younger. He was the top FA LT available and Elway snapped him up for what is essentially a $5M, one year deal, which is the same deal they wanted to give Ryan Clady! They took Clady's money, and gave it to Okung and said "thanks for the memories Ryan!" :wave:

Now they probably trade Clady for a 4th round pick or something. I'd still like to see them keep him just as insurance, but that ain't happening.

If Elway is able to trade him that would be great but teams are going be willing to bet that Clady will be released.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-17-2016, 06:46 PM
I remember hearing this last season that the Seahawks' line was bad but was that true two seasons prior to this one?

The line was bad, but Okung was not.

Simple Jaded
03-17-2016, 06:48 PM
Keep both! They'd literally be 4-deep at LT with four players that can/or have played LT.

Keep Clady and forget about Kaepernick.

Cugel
03-17-2016, 06:55 PM
If Elway is able to trade him that would be great but teams are going be willing to bet that Clady will be released.

Well, they gain $8.9 M under the cap this year by releasing him, but I think they gain that by trading him too. And he is under contract through 2017 so they can trade him if they want. He'd have to re-structure his contract, but why wouldn't he do that? He won't want to stay in Denver and sulk. He wants to play in order to get a long-term deal for next season. So, he'll be eager to get out of town now that they've signed Okung.

Also, if he is released, your team might not be the one he chooses in FA - Cleveland! Hint! Hint!

MOtorboat
03-17-2016, 07:04 PM
Can't accuse him of not addressing the offensive line anymore.

ShaneFalco
03-17-2016, 07:05 PM
they called me mr glass!

slim
03-17-2016, 07:06 PM

Good point, Mo

Simple Jaded
03-17-2016, 07:14 PM

I'm not so sure, we have to run this past Joel's desk first.

MOtorboat
03-17-2016, 07:22 PM
Sure I could, but I'd sound ignorant in the process.

Good point.

dogfish
03-17-2016, 07:26 PM
#Broncos Okung "I'm very familiar with the scheme they run, I understand all the concepts."

this bears emphasis. . . the point that maybe hasn't been made yet is that tom cable is the OL coach in seattle, and they run a mostly ZBS scheme. . . he should be able to step in here without missing a beat. . . and best of all, it means that john and gary had a ton of highly relevant tape to watch-- when they decided he was a good fit here, it wasn't based on projection or guesswork. . .

:defense:

TXBRONC
03-17-2016, 07:27 PM
Well, they gain $8.9 M under the cap this year by releasing him, but I think they gain that by trading him too. And he is under contract through 2017 so they can trade him if they want. He'd have to re-structure his contract, but why wouldn't he do that? He won't want to stay in Denver and sulk. He wants to play in order to get a long-term deal for next season. So, he'll be eager to get out of town now that they've signed Okung.

Also, if he is released, your team might not be the one he chooses in FA - Cleveland! Hint! Hint!

Cugel, I think chances interested parties will just wait for him to be released.

dogfish
03-17-2016, 07:28 PM

oh yes you can, midget!!

if you don't have at least six or seven all-pro, road-grading, world killing, mutant superbeasts on the OL, it obviously means that you just aren't trying, and you probably don't understand football at all. . .

VonDoom
03-17-2016, 08:17 PM
this bears emphasis. . . the point that maybe hasn't been made yet is that tom cable is the OL coach in seatlle, and they run a mostly ZBS scheme. . . he should be able to step in here without missing a beat. . . and best of all, it means that john and gary had a ton of highly relevant tape to watch-- when they decided he was a good fit here, it wasn't based on projection or guesswork. . .

:defense:

Similar to your point, I found this interesting. Mason was asked if Okung is a good fit for this system:

Andrew Mason
‏@MaseDenver

Andrew Mason Retweeted Roberto de la Peña

Yes. Notable: At the 2010 draft, when Seattle drafted Okung, Alex Gibbs was their OL coach (retired months later).

Slick
03-17-2016, 08:19 PM
Keep both! They'd literally be 4-deep at LT with four players that can/or have played LT.

I would love this.

DenBronx
03-17-2016, 08:50 PM

I think one of them would have to transition to guard. Wouldn't be opposed to keeping Clady if he takes a big pay cut but I am not sure that's the direction we will go now. Seems like Elway gave him a take or leave it offer and Elway didn't blink.

DenBronx
03-17-2016, 08:52 PM

If we can trade him and dump that salary then Elway pulls the trigger on that. Seems like Elway is wanting to stockpile picks for a reason.

Trade UP shall we?

TXBRONC
03-17-2016, 08:57 PM
If we can trade him and dump that salary then Elway pulls the trigger on that. Seems like Elway is wanting to stockpile picks for a reason.

Trade UP shall we?

Sure if Elway can find a trade partner. I'm doubtful he will be able too.

Simple Jaded
03-17-2016, 11:37 PM
I think one of them would have to transition to guard. Wouldn't be opposed to keeping Clady if he takes a big pay cut but I am not sure that's the direction we will go now. Seems like Elway gave him a take or leave it offer and Elway didn't blink.

Oh absolutely.

What I mean is they'd have 4 players that play LT to varying degrees, all starting.

Okung LT
Samprolo LG
Garcia C
Stephenson RG
Clady RT

That's a sexy MOTHERFUKING OL, they have that OL, right now.

sneakers
03-18-2016, 06:28 AM
I thought he was on the seahawks?

TXBRONC
03-18-2016, 08:37 AM
I thought he was on the seahawks?

He was a free agent Sneak.

Joel
03-18-2016, 08:44 AM
He might have been inconsistent, but he is a tremendous talent. In the last 3 years he's missed 8, 2 and 3 games. Clady has missed 14, 0, and 16 games the last three seasons. And he played pretty badly in 2014 when he was healthy.
Clady was pretty bad in 2010 after his basketball injury, too; I really think it ruined what previously looked to be an elite career. 2011 and 2012 were his only really good seasons since (he made the Pro Bowl in both, and was All Pro in 2012.) He did reach another Pro Bowl in 2014, but I personally think that was on rep, not performance (just don't tell our potential trade partners that.)

I'll miss Clady. He's strong, agile and smart, with good instincts, anticipation and reflexes; a complete LT who excels in or out of the ZBS and dominates when healthy—which he hasn't been since 2012. He's had THREE separate and serious injuries to the SAME LEG, was a shadow of himself all season after the first two and lost a whole season to the last two. If he can't drive off that leg to run block or use it to beat elite RDEs first step on passes, he can't be Ryan Clady.

Okung may not be the picture of health, but his worth is clear in how impotent the Seahawks offense became each time he was hurt. He's also a bit younger than Clady, whose injuries can only increase after he turns 30 in September. Plus he's playing for half what Clady would've cost us this year. Good signing.

I'm not so sure, we have to run this past Joel's desk first.
Well, I preferred the better OTs KC released the last couple years. We'll see if the replacement who wasn't even good enough to beat out underperformers like Fisher is ANY good, but he MUST be better than Schofield; I just hoped for more than "better than Schofield."

If Paradis is strong enough he's not pushed around again, and he and Garcia don't keep routinely getting schooled by stunts and delay blitzes, we'll be in good shape. I'm confident Dennison can coach them up on that last one, but I'd still like to draft a guard.

Elway IS addressing the line at last though, in meaningful ways (i.e. not just grabbing the 9th or 10th OT drafted and hoping leftovers are STARTING material, or waiting till 2 weeks before Opening Day to sign an injured former All Pro no one else wants.)

Joel
03-18-2016, 08:46 AM
Sure if Elway can find a trade partner. I'm doubtful he will be able too.
There's less hope of that than of SF trading Kaep, for many of the same reasons, but I guess there's no harm in trying.

VonDoom
03-18-2016, 09:04 AM
Barnwell's take on the Okung signing:

Russell Okung (Broncos): B

Remember the one about the player who represented himself and thoroughly enjoyed the experience? You don't because there's a reason players get agents: They help. Consider, for example, that while agents are allowed to talk to teams during the legal tampering window, players are not. That means Okung wasn't (legally) allowed to talk to teams for three days while his competitors' agents were able to do so.

It might not surprise you, then, that Okung was one of the last free agents off the market, and his deal isn't very impressive. Although preliminary reports had Okung's deal as a five-year contract worth $10.6 million per year, the actual numbers are far less. Okung's contract is really a one-year deal worth up to $8 million with a four-year, $48 million team option tacked on. That's an option the oft-injured Okung is unlikely to see, though if he impresses in his debut season in Denver, anything is possible.

This is a much better deal for the Broncos, who basically get a year's trial on Okung at below-market value before deciding on a possible long-term commitment. Although they can fit Okung under their cap as currently constructed, the Broncos will likely carve out further space for this deal by moving on from injury-prone tackle Ryan Clady, who has a $10.1 million cap hold for 2016. The Broncos can save $8.9 million by trading or releasing Clady, a move likely to happen soon.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14932572/grading-big-free-agent-deals-nfl

artie_dale
03-18-2016, 09:10 AM
Barnwell's take on the Okung signing:

Russell Okung (Broncos): B

Remember the one about the player who represented himself and thoroughly enjoyed the experience? You don't because there's a reason players get agents: They help. Consider, for example, that while agents are allowed to talk to teams during the legal tampering window, players are not. That means Okung wasn't (legally) allowed to talk to teams for three days while his competitors' agents were able to do so.

It might not surprise you, then, that Okung was one of the last free agents off the market, and his deal isn't very impressive. Although preliminary reports had Okung's deal as a five-year contract worth $10.6 million per year, the actual numbers are far less. Okung's contract is really a one-year deal worth up to $8 million with a four-year, $48 million team option tacked on. That's an option the oft-injured Okung is unlikely to see, though if he impresses in his debut season in Denver, anything is possible.

This is a much better deal for the Broncos, who basically get a year's trial on Okung at below-market value before deciding on a possible long-term commitment. Although they can fit Okung under their cap as currently constructed, the Broncos will likely carve out further space for this deal by moving on from injury-prone tackle Ryan Clady, who has a $10.1 million cap hold for 2016. The Broncos can save $8.9 million by trading or releasing Clady, a move likely to happen soon.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14932572/grading-big-free-agent-deals-nfl

They left out the part where Russel Okung saved himself somewhere around $1.8 million handling this himself. So... One point Eight MILLION Dollars almost makes it seem worthwhile regardless. And he landed with another competitor. He visited a handful of teams, Seahawks included... I wonder if those other teams tried to lowball him or try to use certain lingo to try to make him feel inferior for representing himself. I can see Elway being straight with him. Okung seems like an intelligent fella too.

TXBRONC
03-18-2016, 09:17 AM
I like this signing. While he may have had trouble staying healthy I would still rather have him than Harris.

VonDoom
03-18-2016, 09:19 AM
They left out the part where Russel Okung saved himself somewhere around $1.8 million handling this himself. So... One point Eight MILLION Dollars almost makes it seem worthwhile regardless. And he landed with another competitor. He visited a handful of teams, Seahawks included... I wonder if those other teams tried to lowball him or try to use certain lingo to try to make him feel inferior for representing himself. I can see Elway being straight with him. Okung seems like an intelligent fella too.

Yeah, he had a post up on his website last night about how he was advocating for himself and encouraging other players to do the same. Seems very savvy. And I agree - not having to pay an agent automatically puts more money in your pocket. I don't know if I'd want to handle everything if I was a player, but it's working out for him so far.

tripp
03-18-2016, 09:30 AM
Good signing, it all helps with the run game next year

artie_dale
03-18-2016, 09:33 AM
Yeah, he had a post up on his website last night about how he was advocating for himself and encouraging other players to do the same. Seems very savvy. And I agree - not having to pay an agent automatically puts more money in your pocket. I don't know if I'd want to handle everything if I was a player, but it's working out for him so far.

I think the biggest advantage Agents have is their networking ability (direct lines to GMs & Corporate Brands, as well as early contact with those GMs that is legal). So, if a player is seeking endorsement opportunities, maybe agents are the way to go. But, the difference between an Offensive Lineman like Russell Okung and other NFL players is, Offensive Linemen are already considered to be the most intelligent in the crop along with some QBs. Most other players had everything handed to them (you know, grades and easy classes so they can focus on the hobby they play so well). I can see how all those papers, numbers, and words, can be intimidating to most other players. Another thing is, I don't ever see OL'men with their own brand anyway.

I saw on a Seahawks forum that fans were bashing him for signing with the Broncos, criticizing him for the contract he agreed upon, saying he was an amateur and his contract resembles that. I'm glad we got him for what we got him for.

Joel
03-18-2016, 11:15 AM
Thought about the commission aspect as well. This is only a bad deal for Okung if he gets hurt again and/or plays so badly we don't exercise our option (dunno if it's an annual option or a one-time deal, but I presume the former because Okung's not a moron.) One thing about it: There's no question of whether the guy representing him was looking out for his own interests by trying to maximize a commission or the players by trying to maximize opportunity.

VonDoom
03-18-2016, 12:31 PM
Thought about the commission aspect as well. This is only a bad deal for Okung if he gets hurt again and/or plays so badly we don't exercise our option (dunno if it's an annual option or a one-time deal, but I presume the former because Okung's not a moron.) One thing about it: There's no question of whether the guy representing him was looking out for his own interests by trying to maximize a commission or the players by trying to maximize opportunity.

My understanding of the contract is that it's essentially two contracts - this year's "show me" one year, $5 million (up to $8 million with incentives) and then a four year, $48 million deal with something like $20.5 guaranteed (can't remember where I saw that last figure, but I'm sure I did). If we keep him after this year, he's in a "normal" contract situation, where the guaranteed money is probably in the first couple of years of that deal (17 and 18) and then we could get out of it after that if he declines.

VonDoom
03-18-2016, 12:58 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 12m12 minutes ago

Former Seahawks' OT Russell Okung's 5-year contract with the Denver Broncos contains not one dollar of guaranteed money.

Field Yates ‏@FieldYates 10m10 minutes ago

Russell Okung's deal: 0 guarantees at signing. $1M workout bonus, $2M base, $2M roster bonus for being on the 53-man for at least 1 game.

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 4m4 minutes ago

Okung has some guarantees later -- base salaries in '17 and '18, if #Broncos engage option after '16 season ($2M in '17, $9.5M in'18)

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 2m2 minutes ago

As a vested player, Okung's $5M earned for '16 (combination of base salary. roster bonus and workout bonus) guaranteed if on roster Week 1.

Cugel
03-18-2016, 01:21 PM
I think the biggest advantage Agents have is their networking ability (direct lines to GMs & Corporate Brands, as well as early contact with those GMs that is legal). So, if a player is seeking endorsement opportunities, maybe agents are the way to go. But, the difference between an Offensive Lineman like Russell Okung and other NFL players is, Offensive Linemen are already considered to be the most intelligent in the crop along with some QBs. Most other players had everything handed to them (you know, grades and easy classes so they can focus on the hobby they play so well). I can see how all those papers, numbers, and words, can be intimidating to most other players. Another thing is, I don't ever see OL'men with their own brand anyway.

I saw on a Seahawks forum that fans were bashing him for signing with the Broncos, criticizing him for the contract he agreed upon, saying he was an amateur and his contract resembles that. I'm glad we got him for what we got him for.

The biggest advantage agents have is that it's hard to blow your own horn. It's much easier to negotiate if you get third parties in the room and they rip at the player or build him up immoderately without him being present.

"He's not worth that much!"

"Am too!"

"Am not! You'll fall down in training camp right onto the IR and cost us millions!"

"I'm totally making the pro-bowl dude! Look at these muscles!"

It's too easy to get really personal in that situation. NFL negotiations seem to be very personal and nasty at times, unlike other businesses. Helps to have someone else take the flack than the player himself.

This is a GREAT deal for the Broncos. Not such a great deal for Okung. He doesn't even get a second year guaranteed at any price at all.

EDIT:
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 12m12 minutes ago

Former Seahawks' OT Russell Okung's 5-year contract with the Denver Broncos contains not one dollar of guaranteed money. Woah dude! You got owned! :shocked:

No really? What if he gets hurt? Not even guaranteed against injury? That's just hard anal probing by Elway of a complete Noob.

BroncoJoe
03-18-2016, 01:23 PM
Good grief your takes are really hard to read. It's getting embarrassing.

Cugel
03-18-2016, 01:27 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post

In the NFL the only real money is guaranteed money, and everything else is window dressing. The Broncos can insist that he re-negotiate that year 2 through whatever. He is unlikely to ever see that money.

So, if he's counting on years 2 through 4 to make up for what he failed to get guaranteed in year one - good luck with that! That is why you hire an agent dude!

Cugel
03-18-2016, 01:29 PM
Good grief your takes are really hard to read. It's getting embarrassing.

Have you ever handled any contract negotiations as agent for someone else? No? Thought not. :coffee:

BroncoJoe
03-18-2016, 01:30 PM
Have you ever handled any contract negotiations as agent for someone else? No? Thought not. :coffee:

Actually, yes. Have you? Because your scenario isn't anything like what would transpire.

Next?

Poet
03-18-2016, 01:31 PM
Actually, yes. Have you? Because your scenario isn't anything like what would transpire.

Next?

I was going to say that I believed you have done that. I didn't want to talk or speak for you, though.

BroncoJoe
03-18-2016, 01:36 PM
I was going to say that I believed you have done that. I didn't want to talk or speak for you, though.

I take my fiduciary responsibility very seriously, Keep/KingBronco.

Poet
03-18-2016, 01:36 PM
I take my fiduciary responsibility very seriously, Keep/KingBronco.

There is no conversion. Slim ruined it for me.

BroncoJoe
03-18-2016, 01:37 PM
There is no conversion. Slim ruined it for me.

Orange, king. Orange.

Keep the faith!

VonDoom
03-18-2016, 01:38 PM
Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson 12m12 minutes ago

Russell Okung’s ’16 $3M incentive parameters.
($5M base)

80% of snaps = $1.5M + base.

90% of snaps = $3M + base.

VonDoom
03-18-2016, 02:24 PM
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 21m21 minutes ago

Text from a high-level exec with a team that wasn't pursuing Okung on his deal with Denver: "We would have paid him more than that."

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 8m8 minutes ago

Why was team that would have paid Okung more than Broncos did not pursuing him? Team believed Okung wanted $10M per year.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-18-2016, 02:37 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 11m

Where have you gone, Master P? Russell Okung contract with Broncos: $0 guaranteed http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/russell-okung-contract-with-broncos-0-guaranteed/88837959 …
via @@9NEWS #9news #9sports

VonDoom
03-23-2016, 08:50 AM
Some interesting tidbits on the Okung contract, from Andrew Brandt:

In talking to someone close to Okung (not an agent), I found the most interesting part of his free-agency experience was that the team he ended up with never contacted him. Rather, Okung called the Broncos.

Before that, Okung had drawn primary interest from three teams: the Giants, Steelers and Lions. It appears that two of them, the Giants and Steelers, loosely discussed contract parameters without making firm offers. Perhaps those teams were convinced that Okung would return to them after finding a soft marketplace with hat in hand. The Lions showed the most concrete interest and offered a similar first year to what he eventually signed in Denver (albeit with more security): $1 million signing bonus, $1 million guaranteed salary, $2 million of per-game roster bonuses and $2.5 million in playing time and playoff incentives.

Not overjoyed with either the marketplace or the prospect of signing with Detroit, Okung started reaching out to other teams. He preferred to stay close to the West Coast, having played his entire career in Seattle, and noted the Broncos’ culture of success, Ryan Clady’s uncertain status and the team’s desire last year to acquire Joe Thomas. Okung negotiated with the Broncos from a position of weakness because he pursued them, and wrangled a deal that became heavily criticized: a two-part contract with a realistic first year followed by option years at a much higher level.

The Broncos’ contract negotiator, Mike Sullivan, is a former agent (he negotiated Aaron Rodgers’ rookie contract with me). Even though Okung approached him, he and the Broncos do not want Okung hearing how team-friendly the deal is. That perception will affect the team’s relationship not only with Okung, but also with other players. Again, the deal is not as bad as the agent community would have us believe, but the internal relationships here bear watching as the contract continues to be ridiculed in league circles.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/23/nfl-russell-okung-denver-broncos-seattle-seahawks-no-agent-contract-negotiations-free-agency