PDA

View Full Version : Russel Okung Visting

Hardwired
03-16-2016, 11:30 AM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis (https://twitter.com/MikeKlis) 9m9 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/710138684914282496)
LT Russell Okung has arranged for @RussellOkung (https://twitter.com/RussellOkung) to visit Broncos today. Pay cut talks with Ryan Clady must be snagged. #9news (https://twitter.com/hashtag/9news?src=hash)#9sports (https://twitter.com/hashtag/9sports?src=hash)

Hardwired
03-16-2016, 11:32 AM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis (https://twitter.com/MikeKlis) 35s35 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/710141418962968576)
Losing Brock Osweiler gave Broncos cash to keep C.J. Anderson. Will extra cash mean they can now sign Russell Okung? #9news (https://twitter.com/hashtag/9news?src=hash)#9sports (https://twitter.com/hashtag/9sports?src=hash)

BroncoWave
03-16-2016, 11:33 AM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis (https://twitter.com/MikeKlis) 35s35 seconds ago (https://twitter.com/MikeKlis/status/710141418962968576)
Losing Brock Osweiler gave Broncos cash to keep C.J. Anderson. Will extra cash mean they can now sign Russell Okung? #9news (https://twitter.com/hashtag/9news?src=hash)#9sports (https://twitter.com/hashtag/9sports?src=hash)

Well if we sign Okung that means we cut Clady, so I don't think the extra cash we save from Os will really have much if anything to do with this.

UnderArmour
03-16-2016, 11:40 AM
Well if we sign Okung that means we cut Clady, so I don't think the extra cash we save from Os will really have much if anything to do with this.

I don't think this is a negotiating ploy either. I think Clady had his chance to take a sizable pay cut and still be the guy for something in the range of $4-5 million a year, but has refused to do so. Broncos can save $8.9 million by cutting Clady, so it's entirely possible the Broncos land Okung for $6-7 million annually given that his market has been set by the cash-strapped Lions, Steelers, and Giants. Okung is his own agent and seems averse to playing for a non-contending team, so as long as our offer falls within that range, a signing is a strong possibility.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-16-2016, 11:45 AM
Okung is one of the best LT's in football. I don't think he can be had for less than 10per.

UnderArmour
03-16-2016, 11:49 AM
Okung is one of the best LT's in football. I don't think he can be had for less than 10per.

He was visiting the Steelers, who don't have that money to spend. He is injury prone and has never started an entire NFL season in his 6 year career. Clady's seasons have been shortened by freak injuries, but Okung is just generally injured all the time. No way he gets $10 million annually, and it's telling Seattle isn't on the phone with him too.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-16-2016, 11:51 AM
He was visiting the Steelers, who don't have that money to spend. He is injury prone and has never started an entire NFL season in his 6 year career. Clady's seasons have been shortened by freak injuries, but Okung is just generally injured all the time. No way he gets $10 million annually, and it's telling Seattle isn't on the phone with him too.

Yeah, I agree that it's cause for concern when Seattle just let's him walk.

Bronco4ever
03-16-2016, 12:04 PM
Both of our most recent SB trips were played without Clady for the entire season. When he's healthy, Clady can be an asset to this line, but how much do we REALLY need him? Dude has taken a lot of money from us recently to mostly just be on IR. It'd almost make more sense to sign an oft injured Okung than Clady if he's not willing to budge.

Ziggy
03-16-2016, 12:04 PM
This is how the line would look-

LT- Okung
LG- Sambrailo
C- Paradis
RG-Garcia
RT- Stephenson

That's a much improved line over last season. Get er done Elway.

LTC Pain
03-16-2016, 12:20 PM

LT- Okung
LG- Sambrailo
C- Paradis
RG-Garcia
RT- Stephenson

Agree 100% Make it so #7 :salute:

dogfish
03-16-2016, 12:46 PM
i won't be suprised if this gets done. . . when the duke decides to make a move, he moves quick. . . remember how he gave up on DRC and snagged talib like a boss?

Cugel
03-16-2016, 01:13 PM
Okung is a year younger than Clady, has played two fewer seasons and has been more healthy in recent seasons. If Clady will not re-structure enough to give the Broncos the cap relief they are seeking, Okung makes a viable option. However, he's reportedly wanting $13M a year, which he won't get. He's also acting as his own agent so he won't have to pay the 3% commission to his agent. Acting as your own lawyer in a contract negotiations is not a smart move.

He visited the Steelers, but left without a contract. They then signed former Broncos T Ryan Harris. No longer want Okung. He visited the Giants but he left there without a contract and now the Giants are looking at other FAs.

The problem, as we hear it, is three-fold. Okung views himself as meriting a deal in the range of $11 million to $13 million per year. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/15/okung-has-one-fewer-suitor/) Also, teams who have made offers aren’t going to leave them open indefinitely; because Okung isn’t an expert when it comes to negotiating NFL contracts, he doesn’t appreciate the importance of moving at the right time. Finally, he’s still recovering from shoulder surgery, which complicates the entire situation even further.

Okung battled injuries early in his career. From 2010 through midseason of 2013, he missed 15 of 58 regular-season or postseason games. But since recovering from a torn ligament in his toe in 2013, he has played in 41 of a possible 46 games, including the postseason. (http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Reports-Broncos-to-visit-with-Russell-Okung/825f514e-60b3-4fe2-a161-ce0879f6225a)

The veteran of six NFL seasons suffered a dislocated shoulder in the Seahawks' divisional-round loss at Carolina in January. He expects to be ready to return to full strength at training camp.

At 6-foot-5 and with 36-inch arms and with high intelligence, Okung is a lengthy, prototypical tackle for the Broncos' zone-based scheme. Per the statistics of ProFootballFocus.com, the Oklahoma State product has allowed just 3.5 sacks per season in his career.

I think he could be an upgrade over Clady at this point, but he wouldn't come cheap. He's going to cost around $10M, although I can't believe he could get $13M a year. Still, if the Broncos can't reach a deal with Clady, this is probably the best option. Ideally, they would sign both and have tremendous talent on both ends of the line, but that is prohibitively costly.

I think if he leaves without a contract like he did the Giants and Steelers, this deal isn't getting done. If he stays and signs today or tomorrow, we have a pro-bowl caliber LT who has perhaps another 4 or 5 good years left. He's only been in the league for 5 seasons and missed parts of two of them, so there's not a ton of wear and tear on his body. That's a plus.

Hardwired
03-16-2016, 01:28 PM
i won't be suprised if this gets done. . . when the duke decides to make a move, he moves quick. . . remember how he gave up on DRC and snagged talib like a boss?

This seems like the same kind of move to me, too. Make a good faith effort and then when talks bog down, go to plan B immediately. I guess it's a QB thing, going through your progressions and hitting the open receiver before the pocket collapses. :)

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2016, 01:31 PM
Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 16m

Russell Okung's visit to #Broncos, w/ Stephenson projected RT or G. means they think they have legit shot at Okung, Clady talks at tip point

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2016, 01:35 PM
Column: Despite the Lions' needs, Russell Okung not worth the (reported) price

from article:

But he reportedly wants $11 million to $13 million annually.

full article - http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2016/03/detroit_lions_face_one_less_ch.html

NightTerror218
03-16-2016, 01:37 PM
Okung was not amazing LT but he is good. Clady is world's better when in prime. Okung was part of worst line last season. We know broncos was bad but Seattle was worse.

Lancane
03-16-2016, 01:43 PM
The market is closing in on him, wouldn't be surprised if Denver landed him for around 9mil.

Lancane
03-16-2016, 01:44 PM
Okung was not amazing LT but he is good. Clady is world's better when in prime. Okung was part of worst line last season. We know broncos was bad but Seattle was worse.

Clady can not even get on the field, he's pretty much made millions while sitting on his @$$.

dogfish
03-16-2016, 02:00 PM

Clady can not even get on the field, he's pretty much made millions while sitting on his @$$.

yea. . . clady's prime was four-five years and several major injuries ago. . . that guy is never walking through the door again. . .

Cugel
03-16-2016, 02:01 PM
Okung might WANT $11-13M a year, but that's like me saying I want a hot date with Jessica Alba. That ain't happening either. Wanting's not getting. :coffee:

I'd say his price range is in the $8-10M range, but we'll see. IF Clady refuses to come down very much from his $10M a year contract, they could conclude that Okung is the better option. Saying that Clady is better based on his last good season in 2012 doesn't make much sense.

He played poorly in 2014, the only season in the last 3 years he was even able to play at all. Supposedly he could return to his pro-bowl level of 2008-2012, but that when your last good season was 4 years ago, that's rather a risky proposition. MAYBE he returns to form, but maybe he gets injured or is a shadow of his former self too.

After the age of 30 in the NFL players normally do not get more healthy. Usually the reverse.

VonDoom
03-16-2016, 02:51 PM
Klis has an article about Okung visiting, and he mentions the kind of pay cut we want for Clady:

The visit with Okung is also an indication pay cut negotiations between the Broncos and left tackle Ryan Clady have snagged. Clady is scheduled to make $9.5 million this season but the Broncos want him back at less than $5 million.

As far as Okung's asking price:

Okung is serving as his own agent. When the free-agent market opened a week ago, his asking price was believed to be in the $11 million a year range. That he remains unsigned as the market enters week two is an indication his asking price has been drastically reduced, although he still won’t come cheap.

http://www.9news.com/sports/broncos-focus-on-offense-includes-visit-with-russell-okung/85328766

Ravage!!!
03-16-2016, 03:16 PM
Can Okung play RT? :D

Cugel
03-16-2016, 05:57 PM
Can Okung play RT? :D

Nobody wants a RT for $11 M. If they were able to re-sign Clady, which looks like a long-shot at this point, he could possibly switch over to the right side. Then they could start Okung at LT. Then move either Stephenson or Sambrailo inside to G and you're set with a vastly better OL than we had last season.

If they could add Kaepernick, this team would be set for a run at another championship. They would have an offense that could chew up the field and take time off the clock, a run-pass option that would drive opposing defenses crazy, and an intense aggressive defense. And a QB who has experience winning the NFC Championship game and playing in the SB.

I'd say that lineup is potentially better than they would have been with Osweiler, who is not very mobile.

Kaepernick played pretty well in 2012-13, but fell dramatically in 2015 when they fired Jim Harbaugh and hired Jim Tomsula who only lasted 1 season as head coach.

Sometimes it's purely a coaching problem. A new guy becomes the head coach and the old QB just doesn't fit. Tomsula was a D-line coach. Kubiak is famous for getting the best out of his QBs like Brock and Joe Flacco.

Lancane
03-16-2016, 06:03 PM
Adding Kaepernick does not guarantee a run at a championship, far from it.

UnderArmour
03-16-2016, 06:05 PM
Nobody wants a RT for $11 M. If they were able to re-sign Clady, which looks like a long-shot at this point, he could possibly switch over to the right side. Then they could start Okung at LT. Then move either Stephenson or Sambrailo inside to G and you're set with a vastly better OL than we had last season.

If they could add Kaepernick, this team would be set for a run at another championship. They would have an offense that could chew up the field and take time off the clock, a run-pass option that would drive opposing defenses crazy, and an intense aggressive defense. And a QB who has experience winning the NFC Championship game and playing in the SB.

I'd say that lineup is potentially better than they would have been with Osweiler, who is not very mobile.

Kaepernick played pretty well in 2012-13, but fell dramatically in 2015 when they fired Jim Harbaugh and hired Jim Tomsula who only lasted 1 season as head coach.

Sometimes it's purely a coaching problem. A new guy becomes the head coach and the old QB just doesn't fit. Tomsula was a D-line coach. Kubiak is famous for getting the best out of his QBs like Brock and Joe Flacco.

No kidding on coaching. Greg Roman was offensive coordinator and maximized talent of Kaepernick under Harbaugh. Roman went to Buffalo and got a great year out of Tyrod Taylor, while under Geep Chryst Kaepernick faltered. At this point, I don't expect the Broncos to land Kaepernick unless something changes between now and draft day, but I have no doubt Kubiak's staff could bring Kaep back.

Slick
03-16-2016, 06:12 PM
I'd pass on Okung. He isn't all that. Draft a guy or take our chances with Sambrailo.

Cugel
03-16-2016, 06:22 PM
I don't know. The 49ers are bluffing about keeping Kaepernick. There are a lot of reasons he would be a locker room cancer, and he really wants out:

The primary reason is Kaepernick wants out of San Francisco. Kaepernick doesn't trust management after the 49ers mis-led him during contract negotiations, fired coach Jim Harbaugh, undermined him on the field and criticized him behind his back.

Another possible reason why Kaepernick wants out is some 49ers teammates reportedly don't like or respect him. One former teammate questioned his motivation and reporters have called him arrogant on occasion.

Another Kaepernick issue that probably fractured the locker room is his relationship with the ex-girlriend of former teammate Aldon Smith.

You just can't steal a teammate's girl-friend and keep respect in the locker room.

Kaepernick and Smith reportedly got in a fight last summer. The rumored reason? A woman. That woman was probably Nessa, Smith's ex-girlfriend. Smith and Nessa apparently had previously broken up amid rumors she was involved with Kaepernick.

The sooner they get him out of there the better for the team chemistry.

He really needs a change of scene and some new coaching to have a chance to revive his career. If it worked he would have at least as much upside potential (in this system) as Brock Osweiler, and probably a lot more.

Lancane
03-16-2016, 06:52 PM
And so Denver should add that type of clown? While they are at it, maybe they should sign Hardy to replace Jackson...hell, I am sure T.O. is available as well! :lol:

NightTerror218
03-16-2016, 06:53 PM
And so Denver should add that type of clown? While they are at it, maybe they should sign Hardy to replace Jackson...hell, I am sure T.O. is available as well! :lol

He fits the system but I do not want him.

FanInAZ
03-16-2016, 07:23 PM
Okung might WANT $11-13M a year, but that's like me saying I want a hot date with Jessica Alba. That ain't happening either. Wanting's not getting. :coffee:

Just talked to Jessica, she asked me for your contact info. Should I tell her to sign up as a member of this site so she can PM you, or would you like me to give her another means of contacting you?

Lancane
03-16-2016, 08:11 PM
Earlier I said Okung was to meet team tomorrow, he will visit the facility tomorrow, having dinner tonight with Broncos brass.

VonDoom
03-16-2016, 09:19 PM
Earlier I said Okung was to meet team tomorrow, he will visit the facility tomorrow, having dinner tonight with Broncos brass.

If they're wining and dining him, this seems like a signing to me.

TXBRONC
03-16-2016, 09:28 PM

LT- Okung
LG- Sambrailo
C- Paradis
RG-Garcia
RT- Stephenson

It looks good but I would still rather have Sambrailo at right tackle.

dogfish
03-16-2016, 09:40 PM
If they're wining and dining him, this seems like a signing to me.

wining, dining, and signing. . . i like it!

VonDoom
03-17-2016, 03:03 PM
Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson 1m1 minute ago

Sources tell me that OT Russell Okung is close to finalizing a 5-year deal with the Denver #Broncos worth $10.6M per year.

BroncoWave
03-17-2016, 03:06 PM
Wow. Bye bye Clady.

dogfish
03-17-2016, 03:14 PM
nice!

OrangeHoof
03-17-2016, 03:26 PM
Clady is still our property. We ought to see what his trade value is. In fact, we *might* have to trade him before we have the cap space to sign Okung.

slim
03-17-2016, 03:58 PM
The word on the street is we are signing Okung.
Have you guys heard anything?

CoachChaz
03-17-2016, 04:00 PM
Dumping a 10 mil LT that is always injured for another 10 mil LT that is always injured. That makes sense.

With the way teams are over-paying for line help this year, I could see them trading him for a low round draft pick. Then again...teams also know we would have to release him

UnderArmour
03-17-2016, 04:41 PM
Dumping a 10 mil LT that is always injured for another 10 mil LT that is always injured. That makes sense.

With the way teams are over-paying for line help this year, I could see them trading him for a low round draft pick. Then again...teams also know we would have to release him

It's a one year $5 million deal with an option for 4 more years at $12 million annually.

NightTerror218
03-17-2016, 05:05 PM

Different is Okung has never missed a start