PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Match Offer; CJ Back in Denver 4 years, $18 million

UnderArmour
03-15-2016, 03:22 PM
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/709818237463236608

Broncos have informed RB CJ Anderson they are matching Miami's offer sheet, per source. He stays in Denver.

Happy he's back in Denver.

Nice piece on why he's back in Denver here: http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Analysis-Why-the-Broncos-matched-Miamis-offer-for-CJ-Anderson/da72fa3d-f53e-4686-853a-d39047f09ff9

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- John Elway said 14 months ago that he wanted a team that, if it went down, did so "kicking and screaming."

No player on the roster epitomizes that more than running back C.J. Anderson.

When the Broncos capitulated in the January 2015 divisional-round playoff loss to Indianapolis, Anderson was one of the players who fought hardest to keep the Broncos' dying season alive. His fourth-and-1 conversion on the final play of the third quarter that day, a run in which he doubled back and made five defenders miss on a 7-yard carry, would have been a season-saving play if the offense had not stalled immediately thereafter.

(I posted a new thread here because page 16 of megathreads are not where major news should be broken or discussed.)

Poet
03-15-2016, 03:26 PM
Wow...

DenBronx
03-15-2016, 03:35 PM
We gambled and it didn't pay off but still glad he's going to be here. He was our only offense at times this year and he really stepped up during the playoffs.

Krugan
03-16-2016, 07:40 AM
Just saw an article where CJ said, he had "mixed emotions" about denver bringing him back.

It is a article on Yahoo, so i wont bother with the link,because frankly, those are bloggers as much as reporters.

It does raise a question though, did low tendering him, cause him to feel disrespected and have lingering affects on his efforts?

Ravage!!!
03-16-2016, 09:14 AM
Just saw an article where CJ said, he had "mixed emotions" about denver bringing him back.

It is a article on Yahoo, so i wont bother with the link,because frankly, those are bloggers as much as reporters.

It does raise a question though, did low tendering him, cause him to feel disrespected and have lingering affects on his efforts?

He felt disrespected because he made a statement kinda giving the impression that he was pretty surprised and bothered by it when the news first came out about his tender placed on him.

But two things. 1, we put the 2nd on someone else, so couldn't put it on CJ, and 2... this gave Elway a chance to sign him to a deal worth more than ONE year as opposed to signing the 1 year tender offer.

I'm surprised CJ got such a high offer, and I'm surprised we matched... to be honest. If I was choosing, I wouldn't have matched that offer to CJ.

DenBronx
03-16-2016, 09:16 AM
Hmmm, his Twitter says otherwise.

"4 more years with the greatest fans on the planet"

"I will be apart of the Broncos for 4 more years. Blessed to be apart of this wonderful organization and super blessed for the opp."

Ravage!!!
03-16-2016, 09:27 AM
yeah.. but what else is he supposed to say on twitter to the fans?

I mean, he may completely mean it, and STILL feel bothered and disrespected by the tender that was placed on him.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-16-2016, 09:55 AM

I mean, he may completely mean it, and STILL feel bothered and disrespected by the tender that was placed on him.

Considering where he came from in the last 2 years I would think 9-10 million guaranteed helped heal any hurt feelings he had.

BroncoWave
03-16-2016, 09:58 AM

I mean, that disrespectful tender just made him 3.5 million dollars richer this season than he would have been with a second round tender, so I think he'll get over it.

Joel
03-17-2016, 01:40 AM
He felt disrespected because he made a statement kinda giving the impression that he was pretty surprised and bothered by it when the news first came out about his tender placed on him.

But two things. 1, we put the 2nd on someone else, so couldn't put it on CJ
We could've put the 1st on that someone else; it would've cost ~$1M more, but NOT doing so cost ~3X that, so which was cheaper?

, and 2... this gave Elway a chance to sign him to a deal worth more than ONE year as opposed to signing the 1 year tender offer.
A high tender would've done the same for a year. It may work out, since I believe most of CJs cap hit is this year, then drops off next year (when we'll need cap space far more because we have several times more guys to re-sign.) But let's not pretend a low tender enabled a long contract a high tender would've prevented.

I'm surprised CJ got such a high offer, and I'm surprised we matched... to be honest. If I was choosing, I wouldn't have matched that offer to CJ.
Neither would I, even though I like CJ a lot: Which just underscores how badly miscalculated the low tender was.

An expensive lesson that bodes ill for all the rookie contracts and tenders ending this year. Last year was Elways first re-signing his original rookies, and we're about to see if he's as good at that as he is finding them and luring FAs from other teams. It's fine to say, "We don't draft All Pros, we develop them," but unless you extend them BEFORE they're All Pros, the cap means you're just developing All Pros for the competition: You become the NFLs farm team.

Dapper Dan
03-17-2016, 05:39 AM
So far he's started about 12 (14 including playoffs) games in 3 seasons. Now he needs to do that in one season.

NightTerror218
03-17-2016, 09:23 AM
http://bsndenver.com/the-stinkin-truth-behind-the-c-j-anderson-contract-and-elways-master-plan/

Sounds like Elway may have worked the deal around for CJ to together relief this year

Joel
03-17-2016, 09:46 AM
Well, this part was interesting:
Did you know that Anderson averages 4.8 yards per carry for his career and that Adrian Peterson and Jamaal Charles are the only qualifying active running backs to average more?
In the other thread someone said that CJs 4.7 yds/att and Hillmans 4.2 were about the same; only half a yard different, right? Well, the annual NFL average has been 4.2 basically FOREVER (like ±0.2 yds all but a dozen years since the 1930s.) Yet NO current RBs career average is 4.7+ except All Day, Charles and CJ.

Jim Browns is 5.2. Barrys is 4.99. Maybe CJ's 4.7 is worth his price.

NightTerror218
03-17-2016, 10:04 AM
Well, this part was interesting:
In the other thread someone said that CJs 4.7 yds/att and Hillmans 4.2 were about the same; only half a yard different, right? Well, the annual NFL average has been 4.2 basically FOREVER (like ±0.2 yds all but a dozen years since the 1930s.) Yet NO current RBs career average is 4.7+ except All Day, Charles and CJ have hit.

Jim Browns is 5.2. Barrys is 4.99. Maybe CJ's 4.7 is worth his price.

My comment about the 4.7 and 5.2 was in response to so.eone saying how bad hillman was and it took him twice the carries for same yards.

CJ ranked 10th last season in yards per carry, cam and Wilson were ahead of him as well. Hillman Was 24th.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/rush-yards-per-attempt/2015/

Joel
03-17-2016, 04:01 PM
My comment about the 4.7 and 5.2 was in response to so.eone saying how bad hillman was and it took him twice the carries for same yards.

CJ ranked 10th last season in yards per carry, cam and Wilson were ahead of him as well. Hillman Was 24th.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/rush-yards-per-attempt/2015/
4.7 and 4.2, and apparently Hillmans was rounded UP while CJs was rounded DOWN. The difference was (much) closer to 0.6 yds/att than 0.5.

Tyrod Taylor was also 2nd: Among RBs, CJ was 7th and Hillman 21st. Big difference. Especially since Hillman got a 0.3 yd/att bump from a SINGLE 72 yarder when no one got a shot at him down the sideline after a shoulder slap at the start; without that, CJ would've been almost a FULL YARD better (and his longest was 48; for whatever reason, our line doesn't open holes for him like they do for Hillman, but maybe they figure Hillman needs more help.). As opposed to CJs long TDs running through or around MULTIPLE defenders UNBLOCKED, often in our backfield. CJs sole knock is that got him hurt a lot.

Another case in point: Per that link, Hillmans TD% is only neglibly more and his percentage of Big Plays (however they define that) and 1st slightly lower, but his STUFF percentage was 50% more than CJs last year. CJ's great as long no one touches—but I could gain 4.17 yds/att if no one were allowed to tackle me. I can't wait to see what CJ does if our line improves as much as I expect (and it could hardly get WORSE) so he's not walking wounded half the year.

MOtorboat
03-18-2016, 03:41 AM

It would help quite a great deal if you linked the article to know whether it was an opinion piece or news. Yahoo, like most news outlets, uses both news and opinion articles. I find, honestly, it's readers that have a problem understanding which is which.

Dapper Dan
03-18-2016, 07:51 AM
You just can't trust the media these days.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-18-2016, 08:15 AM
It would help quite a great deal if you linked the article to know whether it was an opinion piece or news. Yahoo, like most news outlets, uses both news and opinion articles. I find, honestly, it's readers that have a problem understanding which is which.

You probably have a point, but don't you think it would help if they quit using misleading headlines?

BroncoWave
03-18-2016, 08:46 AM
4.7 and 4.2, and apparently Hillmans was rounded UP while CJs was rounded DOWN. The difference was (much) closer to 0.6 yds/att than 0.5.

Tyrod Taylor was also 2nd: Among RBs, CJ was 7th and Hillman 21st. Big difference. Especially since Hillman got a 0.3 yd/att bump from a SINGLE 72 yarder when no one got a shot at him down the sideline after a shoulder slap at the start; without that, CJ would've been almost a FULL YARD better (and his longest was 48; for whatever reason, our line doesn't open holes for him like they do for Hillman, but maybe they figure Hillman needs more help.). As opposed to CJs long TDs running through or around MULTIPLE defenders UNBLOCKED, often in our backfield. CJs sole knock is that got him hurt a lot.

Another case in point: Per that link, Hillmans TD% is only neglibly more and his percentage of Big Plays (however they define that) and 1st slightly lower, but his STUFF percentage was 50% more than CJs last year. CJ's great as long no one touches—but I could gain 4.17 yds/att if no one were allowed to tackle me. I can't wait to see what CJ does if our line improves as much as I expect (and it could hardly get WORSE) so he's not walking wounded half the year.

Take out CJ's longest run and his average dips to 4.45 ypc. Any RB's average will dip if you take out their longest run. Taking out Hillman's longest run but not CJ's then comparing their stats is retarded. And your hot take that the line blocks for Hillman but not for CJ really isn't even worth responding to. You make a lot of bad posts, but this one is one of the worst.

TXBRONC
03-18-2016, 09:05 AM
You probably have a point, but don't you think it would help if they quit using misleading headlines?

It might help.

TXBRONC
03-18-2016, 09:08 AM
Take out CJ's longest run and his average dips to 4.45 ypc. Any RB's average will dip if you take out their longest run. Taking out Hillman's longest run but not CJ's then comparing their stats is retarded. And your hot take that the line blocks for Hillman but not for CJ really isn't even worth responding to. You make a lot of bad posts, but this one is one of the worst.

That is nowhere near true that the line blocked for Hillman but not Anderson.

Dreadnought
03-18-2016, 09:13 AM
Just a note on using average per carry stats - which is a great stat as far as it goes. A steady diet of 3rd and short and/or goal line attempts will erode a YPA stat pretty significantly, so backs who handle most of those sorts of attempts will see a decrease in YPA

BroncoWave
03-18-2016, 09:33 AM
Just a note on using average per carry stats - which is a great stat as far as it goes. A steady diet of 3rd and short and/or goal line attempts will erode a YPA stat pretty significantly, so backs who handle most of those sorts of attempts will see a decrease in YPA

They seemed to way overuse Hillman in 3rd and 1 type situations last year. I like Hillman, obviously, but CJ seems made for those types of runs. Could be that CJ was hurt/out of gas the times they used Hillman in those situations, but it seemed odd that he got so many of those carries.

Joel
03-18-2016, 11:02 AM
Removing the longest run for BOTH was addressed: It hurts Hillman far more. As in "4.5 yds/att is still well above average, but 3.9 is crap." CJ averaged that much against a top run D in the SB (Hillman, conversely, averaged ZERO.)

Hillmans better blocking isn't just a "hot take," it's WELL demonstrated by both game tape and stats showing Hillman stuffed 50% more often. I won't presume to say WHY it happens (despite suspicions) but THAT it happens is documented by extensive data, not an off the cuff response based on no data.

Joel
03-18-2016, 11:10 AM
Fair point as far as IT goes, but even Hillmans staunchest supporters concede he sucks at short yardage. And the play everyone remembers from last years playoff was a 3rd and short: TWO guys sandwiched CJ at the HANDOFF, and a third hit him as he reached the line on the edge, but he still gained 5 yards and a conversion. It's a safe bet what happens to Hillman if two guys reach him at the same time as the ball; we'd be lucky if he didn't fumble.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-18-2016, 11:17 AM
"Hillman is a better sprinter, but CJ is a better running back."

Anonymous source-

MOtorboat
03-18-2016, 11:54 AM

I have no idea what the headline was.

BroncoWave
03-18-2016, 11:57 AM
Removing the longest run for BOTH was addressed: It hurts Hillman far more. As in "4.5 yds/att is still well above average, but 3.9 is crap." CJ averaged that much against a top run D in the SB (Hillman, conversely, averaged ZERO.)

Hillmans better blocking isn't just a "hot take," it's WELL demonstrated by both game tape and stats showing Hillman stuffed 50% more often. I won't presume to say WHY it happens (despite suspicions) but THAT it happens is documented by extensive data, not an off the cuff response based on no data.

Hillman being stuffed 50% more often than CJ would prove the exact opposite of your point, that the line blocked better for CJ.

BroncoJoe
03-18-2016, 12:17 PM
Removing any of either's production is stupid. It is what it is.

Joel
03-18-2016, 12:40 PM
Hillman being stuffed 50% more often than CJ would prove the exact opposite of your point, that the line blocked better for CJ.
No, even perfect blocking would leave Hillman able to fall over at the sixth tacklers first glancing blow; anyone know of any evidence that ever happened...? ;)

dogfish
03-18-2016, 12:51 PM
hey BTB, how's everything going today down at "save ronnie" campaign headquarters?

:heh:

BroncoWave
03-18-2016, 01:12 PM
hey BTB, how's everything going today down at "save ronnie" campaign headquarters?

How are things going with your two year old stats you used to make your point?

BroncoJoe
03-18-2016, 01:13 PM
:popcorn:

Poet
03-18-2016, 01:15 PM
Oh damn. It's about to get to so real out here!

dogfish
03-18-2016, 04:36 PM
How are things going with your two year old stats you used to make your point?

that's no big deal-- you admitted yourself that no one seems to have posted ones for this past year yet. . . in any case, they still may have proven my point better than your "video evidence," which got laughed out of court. . . :D

i think the discussion's about played out, in any case-- but i will chuckle every time another RB gets signed without anyone taking a look at ronnie. . . don't sweat it, though-- i'm sure someone will eventually sign him. . .

Ravage!!!
03-18-2016, 04:50 PM
Yeah... but someone over-paying for a part-time RB isn't exactly speaking volumes about decisions.

Joel
03-18-2016, 08:25 PM
yeah... But someone over-paying for a part-time rb isn't exactly speaking volumes about decisions.
How DARE you question ANY of Elways decisions?! BITE YOUR DISLOYAL TONGUE, PEASANT! :mad: The Elway is sound; THE ELWAY IS ROCK SOLID! :worship:

I love how all Dove Valley decisions are unassailable—until we dislike one of them: Then no one there has two brain cells to rub together. It's like the first few years with Manning, when he could do no wrong, so every time a play worked it was "The Sheriff's a genius" but every time it failed it was "I can't stand this awful playcalling from Fox/Gase." Even though it was the same Manning offense and he was calling all the plays in the huddle the whole time. :rolleyes:

Northman
03-18-2016, 08:31 PM
How DARE you question ANY of Elways decisions?! BITE YOUR DISLOYAL TONGUE, PEASANT! :mad: The Elway is sound; THE ELWAY IS ROCK SOLID! :worship:

I love how all Dove Valley decisions are unassailable—until we dislike one of them: Then no one there has two brain cells to rub together. It's like the first few years with Manning, when he could do no wrong, so every time a play worked it was "The Sheriff's a genius" but every time it failed it was "I can't stand this awful playcalling from Fox/Gase." Even though it was the same Manning offense and he was calling all the plays in the huddle the whole time. :rolleyes:

Yea, Fox/Gase really destroyed it in Chicago this year. Phewww, man they are awesome arent they?

Joel
03-18-2016, 08:55 PM
Yea, Fox/Gase really destroyed it in Chicago this year. Phewww, man they are awesome arent they?
No, they suck hard (I've been on the record there for years.) But the SAME PLAYCALLS didn't work for Manning and fail for Fox/Gase just because fans liked Manning and loathed Fox/Gase. Remember that bubble screen that was so great when "McCoy" called it but so awful when "Gase" and "Kubiak/Dennison" called it? Four years, three OCs, two HCs and ONE QB: Who do you REALLY think kept calling that play all? Hint: Who nearly ALWAYS called Mannings plays his WHOLE CAREER?

SAME play, but EVERY TIME it works Manning's a genius and EVERY TIME it doesn't Fox/McCoy/Gase/Kubiak/Dennison's a moron. Sure.... ;)

TXBRONC
03-18-2016, 09:04 PM
that's no big deal-- you admitted yourself that no one seems to have posted ones for this past year yet. . . in any case, they still may have proven my point better than your "video evidence," which got laughed out of court. . . :D

i think the discussion's about played out, in any case-- but i will chuckle every time another RB gets signed without anyone taking a look at ronnie. . . don't sweat it, though-- i'm sure someone will eventually sign him. . .

:boink:

TXBRONC
03-18-2016, 09:06 PM

:pound:

Ziggy
03-18-2016, 09:21 PM

http://sports.cbsimg.net/images/blogs/USATSI_elway_2716.jpg

dogfish
03-18-2016, 09:46 PM
the difference between whining and winning. . .

:defense: :first:

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-18-2016, 09:46 PM

:laugh:

Joel
03-18-2016, 10:44 PM
Hey, man, I didn't say, "someone over-paying for a part-time rb isn't exactly speaking volumes about decisions." Talk to THAT ungrateful traitor. ;)

TXBRONC
03-19-2016, 02:17 AM

Hell yeah!