PDA

View Full Version : Chip Kelly, 49ers try to trade Colin Kaepernick: Update

Pages : [1] 2 3

Denver Native (Carol)
03-14-2016, 01:04 PM
Chip Kelly and the San Francisco 49ers want to trade Colin Kaepernick. Kaepernick wants to move to a new team. Other teams want to acquire Kaepernick.

Why hasn't a trade been completed? The parties cannot get on the same page.

The 49ers are willing to move Kaepernick, with the Denver Broncos and Cleveland Browns showing the most interest in the quarterback, and the New York Jets reportedly indicating lukewarm interest.

AND

Kaepernick is said to be willing to restructure his deal to join the Broncos, who lost both Peyton Manning (retirement) and Brock Osweiler (signed free agent deal with Houston) last week. They acquired Mark Sanchez after a trade with Philadelphia, but they are looking for another quarterback.

full article - http://www.oregonlive.com/nfl/index.ssf/2016/03/chip_kelly_49ers_try_to_trade.html

BroncoWave
03-14-2016, 01:08 PM
Elway is playing this totally the right way and really holds a lot of the cards now. SF clearly wants to get rid of him, and Elway now has a serviceable QB in hand so SF doesn't really have the leverage to try to rake us over the coals on what we send their way. Elway now has the power to walk away from the table. He won't be forced to overpay since we have Sanchez to fall back on.

CoachChaz
03-14-2016, 01:13 PM
Just wait until April 1st. SF would be absolutely foolish to keep a malcontent QB in the locker room at that price. They'll cut him and then Denver can negotiate. Considering their cap space availability right now, they'll have to get him cheap.

Lancane
03-14-2016, 01:19 PM
Just wait until April 1st. SF would be absolutely foolish to keep a malcontent QB in the locker room at that price. They'll cut him and then Denver can negotiate. Considering their cap space availability right now, they'll have to get him cheap.

They have the cap space, they just might and then trade him after the draft for a player or pick to a team that missed out.

CoachChaz
03-14-2016, 01:20 PM
They have the cap space, they just might and then trade him after the draft for a player or pick to a team that missed out.

I was referring to Denver on the cap space

Lancane
03-14-2016, 01:22 PM
No, I am saying SF might hold on to him longer.

CoachChaz
03-14-2016, 01:29 PM
No, I am saying SF might hold on to him longer.

It's definitely possible. I can only imagine that locker room if they do

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-14-2016, 01:30 PM
I think we'll get him.

Don't worry Davii, I'll have a rock solid prediction by 5pm MST today

Slick
03-14-2016, 01:32 PM
I'm not a fan of Kaepernick or Fitzpatrick but I prefer Kaep's athletic ability if forced to choose between the two. Fitzpatrick to me is Kyle Orton with a better beard.

Davii
03-14-2016, 02:12 PM
I think we'll get him.

Your prediction is the one that matters most to me buddy. :D

Lancane
03-14-2016, 02:16 PM
I think we'll get him.

I'll take that bet and raise you. In fact Coach has been right, SF wants higher compensation, but the Broncos believe they'll cut him...San Francisco knows this. Right now it's a game of chicken, but the Browns and Jets are factors as well.

tubby
03-14-2016, 02:22 PM
Why doesn't Chip Kelly want him?

CoachChaz
03-14-2016, 02:23 PM
I'll take that bet and raise you. In fact Coach has been right, SF wants higher compensation, but the Broncos believe they'll cut him...San Francisco knows this. Right now it's a game of chicken, but the Browns and Jets are factors as well.

My guess is by then, one of those 2 might pull the trigger on Fitz, thus leaving less competition for Kaep. Assuming he agrees to a deal that makes sense for us.

CoachChaz
03-14-2016, 02:24 PM

I think it's more like Kaep doesnt want the Niners than it is Kelly doesnt want Kaep

dogfish
03-14-2016, 02:34 PM
I think we'll get him.

we need it by 5PM eastern time. . .

BigDaddyBronco
03-14-2016, 02:50 PM
I saw a report from Michael Silver on SI.com that Denver told SF that Kaepernick was worth a 4th rounder but hadn't offered it yet. That might be a ploy to get them to accept our 3rd round pick as we have a compensatory pick that round. Either that or you take a chance that he will or will not become a FA.

I think he sucks, but I would rather gamble with him for a couple of years than overspend for one of the rookies and leave us with holes where the FA departed on defense or the OLine. Or they could try and get another vet and just slog through having a mediocre QB.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-14-2016, 02:58 PM
we need it by 5PM eastern time. . .

Ok, here it goes:

By 5pm EST Thursday Kap will be a Bronco. He'll get a 2 year prove it deal with 16 million guaranteed.

MOtorboat
03-14-2016, 04:46 PM

Chip doesn't know what he's doing, so who knows?

Joel
03-14-2016, 07:00 PM
Ok, here it goes:

By 5pm EST Thursday Kap will be a Bronco. He'll get a 2 year prove it deal with 16 million guaranteed.
What was that? My fax isn't working right—hello? Cleveland? Ok, sounds great: It's a deal!

In all seriousness, if the Jets wind up snaking Kaep away from us and Cleveland (which wouldn't break my heart; I think we'd regret him sooner than later) I wonder if Fitz will tell his agent to quit screwing around trying to maximize a commission and FIND HIM A JOB.

Az Snake
03-14-2016, 08:15 PM
I saw a report from Michael Silver on SI.com that Denver told SF that Kaepernick was worth a 4th rounder but hadn't offered it yet. That might be a ploy to get them to accept our 3rd round pick as we have a compensatory pick that round. Either that or you take a chance that he will or will not become a FA.

I think he sucks, but I would rather gamble with him for a couple of years than overspend for one of the rookies and leave us with holes where the FA departed on defense or the OLine. Or they could try and get another vet and just slog through having a mediocre QB.

I saw that report by Silver earlier today.
I think you are spot on with the 3rd round "ploy".
Lots of Kaep buzz out there today.
Interesting times !

Simple Jaded
03-14-2016, 08:47 PM

Talent, as in, Kaepernick has some.

TXBRONC
03-15-2016, 08:13 AM
Talent, as in, Kaepernick has some.

What makes no sense to me is Kelly doesn't want him yet his system is made for quarterback like Kaepernick.

Davii
03-15-2016, 08:15 AM
What makes no sense to me is Kelly doesn't want him yet his system is made for quarterback like Kaepernick.

Kelly said he did. It seems Kap wants out of SF more than the other way around

broncofaninfla
03-15-2016, 08:30 AM
If the focus is on adding a veteran QB, I'd rather have Matt Moore. He'd be cheaper and is more accurate than Kaps.

TXBRONC
03-15-2016, 08:35 AM
Kelly said he did. It seems Kap wants out of SF more than the other way around

I was gathering it was a mutual feeling. Kelly reminds me a lots of McDaniels in how he interacts with players.

Dapper Dan
03-15-2016, 08:48 AM

Racism.

Ravage!!!
03-15-2016, 08:56 AM
If the focus is on adding a veteran QB, I'd rather have Matt Moore. He'd be cheaper and is more accurate than Kaps.

Frak.. who?

NightTerror218
03-15-2016, 09:06 AM
Does chip kelly have GM power?

Davii
03-15-2016, 09:08 AM
Does chip kelly have GM power?

No. Trent Baalke remains their GM and has final say in personnel matters.

Cugel
03-15-2016, 01:47 PM
The extensive reporting on this has according to Broncos insiders like Troy Renk on 104.3 The Fan been as follows:

1. Supposedly, the Broncos offered a 3rd round pick, but the 49ers wanted Denver's 2nd round pick (since Denver is picking last in the 3rd round. Elway was unwilling to offer a 2nd so the teams remain stalemated there.

2. Denver and Kaepernick's agent reportedly were able to agree in principle on contract terms for a Kaepernick restructure that would give Denver some cap relief from Kaepernick's $16M contract.

3. The Browns and 49ers have the opposite problem. The 49ers would much prefer the Browns 3rd round pick because it is only 2 picks later than Denver's 2nd rounder, however the Browns and Kaepernick's agent are still far apart on compensation.

4. Meanwhile Cleveland has become even a worse landing spot for Kaepernick because of three factors: a) their desire to offer him backup money, combined with b) the strong suspicion that they intend to use their #2 pick of the draft on a QB - either Goff or Wentz. If they did that, then paying Kaepernick backup money (well under $10M a year) would make sense. He starts until the rookie is ready - perhaps sometime later this season; and c) the fact that the Browns - already 3-13 last year, lost 4 starting players to FA including 2 starters on their OL, the only strength of the team in 2015.

5. Whatever the reasons, Kaepernick's agent has backed off earlier comments that Kaepernick would like to play in Cleveland due to the presence of coach Hue Jackson.

6. Meanwhile the 49ers have to make a decision whether to keep Kaepernick past April 1 when his $11.9M guarantee will kick in. (He's due $15.89M total in 2016, including the pro-rated signing bonus, but the rest isn't guaranteed). If they let him go, they lose him for nothing. If they keep him, then they lose $11M if they ultimately trade him. I don't believe there's any way they can get that $11M taken off their cap, even if the other team assumes the entire salary. They might decide "we can eat the cap hit and get some team to assume the salary, so we won't lose cash, we'll just lose cap space." I don't know.

Chip Kelly and 49ers GM have made noises that they'd like to keep Kaepernick and have a QB competition with Blaine Gabbert, but this makes no sense.

Unless you plan on making Kaepernick the starter you can't keep him on the roster all season for $16M. Gabbert only costs them around $6M and he was much better last year. The fans want Gabbert. He threw for 2,000 yards and 10 TDs with an 86 QBR in relief of Kaepernick so he feels he's earned the starting role.

Meanwhile Kaepernick is still angry with 49ers management over benching him and putting him on IR last year when he felt he didn't need to go on IR. He still wants out.

7. If the 49ers blink first and release Kaepernick you would expect Denver to make a strong push for him in FA, HOWEVER, they could face stiff competition from other teams, particularly Cleveland the the Jets, as well as other teams that might not be willing to part with a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but would be interested in Kaepernick if they didn't lose any picks to sign him.

Lancane
03-15-2016, 02:41 PM
The only way for Broncos to likely pull this off would be to restructure Clady or cut him.

TXBRONC
03-15-2016, 03:03 PM
The only way for Broncos to likely pull this off would be to restructure Clady or cut him.

It seems to be the plan that Clady is going to restructure.

Lancane
03-15-2016, 03:04 PM
It seems to be the plan that Clady is going to restructure.

However the Broncos and him seem to be getting nowhere.

Ravage!!!
03-15-2016, 03:12 PM

Or haven't really sat down to discuss it. I haven't exactly heard talks are 'stalled'...only that they haven't happened. There could be many reasons for that.

Lancane
03-15-2016, 03:19 PM
Or haven't really sat down to discuss it. I haven't exactly heard talks are 'stalled'...only that they haven't happened. There could be many reasons for that.

They've been talking according to what I have read, just no resolution.

Poet
03-15-2016, 03:19 PM

If Kaepernick was a Bronco, what would you feel decent about in regards to his salary and what you gave up trade wise?

Lancane
03-15-2016, 03:24 PM
1 year, 7 mil. deal guaranteed and a 7th round pick...Well for me at least. :lol:

Ravage!!!
03-15-2016, 03:32 PM
If Kaepernick was a Bronco, what would you feel decent about in regards to his salary and what you gave up trade wise?

well.. I don't know. I'm not a Kaep guy. I'm also not willing to bet that we are going to pay him the 10-13 like many want to believe. I heard that the 3 year for 45 would have made Brock the lowest paid STARTING QB in the NFL other than the rookies last year. So is Kaep willing to sign for the lowest starting amount in the NFL? Maybe, but that's still 15. So I'm guessing pay wise, we'll be right around that number.

Trade wise, I think a 4th is about right. I mean, what did the Patriots end up giving for Randy Moss?? He was benched last year, and then had a season ending shoulder surgery.

However, when the chargers were 'talking about trading Brees, theyy were looking to get a 3rd for him from the Jets the year they drafted Rivers (to the Jets no less. Had Rivrs not held out, Brees could have been a NY boy).

Considering, at the time, Brees had played terribly in his NFL career (enough for that the record landed them the #1 pick overall, and they used that pick on a QB). So a 3rd isn't really an unprecedented draft pick option, either.

I'm back and forth on Kaep. I really dislike his peronality... but... he does have 2nd round talent (like Os). He runs like a gazelle, and that could really add a dimention to this offense that I haven't seen in a very long time. Limit his reads,a nd make him the guy that throws the ball away when needed while threatening the edges with his legs..... could work with this scheme.

Soooo.. all being said and done...I wouldn't be "dead shocked" if we give a 3rd and pay 13-15 per year (closer to 15) for Kaep.

Poet
03-15-2016, 03:34 PM
I enjoyed reading that Ravage. The QB situations are complicated. Were I a Broncos fan, I would be 'okay' with a similar compensation and 13-15 million a year. Mostly because his deal is easy to get out of, and his potential in Denver with Kubiak is staggering. This is coming from a guy who doesn't really care for mobile QB's.

NightTerror218
03-15-2016, 03:35 PM
Cugel, sounds like broncos offered 4th round pick not 3rd

Ravage!!!
03-15-2016, 03:37 PM
I enjoyed reading that Ravage. The QB situations are complicated. Were I a Broncos fan, I would be 'okay' with a similar compensation and 13-15 million a year. Mostly because his deal is easy to get out of, and his potential in Denver with Kubiak is staggering. This is coming from a guy who doesn't really care for mobile QB's.

yeah.. as of right now, he can't be labled an "Mobile" QB... he's definitely a running QB. There is a difference, and I don't like running QBs. We need him to study Wilson style of play. With this defense, throw the damn thing away and live to fight the next set of downs.

Ravage!!!
03-15-2016, 03:38 PM
Cugel, sounds like broncos offered 4th round pick not 3rd

Yeah.. I think they have according to the NFL.com. But that doesn't mean you don't start at 4th and work your way to a 3rd.

Poet
03-15-2016, 03:39 PM
Yeah.. I think they have according to the NFL.com. But that doesn't mean you don't start at 4th and work your way to a 3rd.

Can't you just give two fifths or a pick swap to get that value?

Lancane
03-15-2016, 03:40 PM
SF wants a high 3rd or late 2nd Round pick according to Michael Silver.

Ravage!!!
03-15-2016, 03:43 PM
SF wants a high 3rd or late 2nd Round pick according to Michael Silver.

Yeah.. they can ask for anything they want, though.

Ravage!!!
03-15-2016, 03:44 PM
Can't you just give two fifths or a pick swap to get that value?

Of a 3rd..or 4th?

I don't think so... but sounds good!

Poet
03-15-2016, 03:45 PM
Of a 3rd..or 4th?

I don't think so... but sounds good!

You know that value chart that gets posted a lot during the 'draft time'? I thought on the chart it was two fifths equal a fourth.

Ravage!!!
03-15-2016, 03:47 PM
You know that value chart that gets posted a lot during the 'draft time'? I thought on the chart it was two fifths equal a fourth.
Yeah.. I know what you mean. I just can't see trading up would give the equiv of an additional pick... but i would love to give away a 5th this year and a 5th next! :lol:

here.. a 5th this year, and a conditional for next. If he starts, we'll give you another 5th.

Poet
03-15-2016, 03:51 PM
Yeah.. I know what you mean. I just can't see trading up would give the equiv of an additional pick... but i would love to give away a 5th this year and a 5th next! :lol:

here.. a 5th this year, and a conditional for next. If he starts, we'll give you another 5th.

then at the end of the deal, after it's signed, Elway looks at the GM for SF and goes here's one more fifth...and he slaps the dogshit out of him.

It's science.

BroncoJoe
03-15-2016, 04:17 PM
then at the end of the deal, after it's signed, Elway looks at the GM for SF and goes here's one more fifth...and he slaps the dogshit out of him.

It's science.

Not science. Elway.

;)

Slick
03-15-2016, 04:25 PM
I heard that the 3 year for 45 would have made Brock the lowest paid STARTING QB in the NFL other than the rookies last year.

You've said this a few times and it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. There are QBs with twice as many starts as Brock making way less money. Does he earn some sort of credit for sitting on the bench for 3 and a half years?

Ravage!!!
03-15-2016, 05:02 PM
You've said this a few times and it still doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. There are QBs with twice as many starts as Brock making way less money. Does he earn some sort of credit for sitting on the bench for 3 and a half years?

I'm just quoting the guy on the radio that was reading off the salaries from around the NFL. The ones with the more starts, are the ones on ther rookie contract.... yes?

Slick
03-15-2016, 05:35 PM
I'm just quoting the guy on the radio that was reading off the salaries from around the NFL. The ones with the more starts, are the ones on ther rookie contract.... yes?

Sure but what is Brock exactly? Basically an older rookie.

NightTerror218
03-15-2016, 06:12 PM
Brock is the highest paid 1st year starting QB ever.

How do you like it in that aspect rav?

Or he is the highest paid QB ever who was benched mid season.

Cugel
03-15-2016, 06:40 PM

As to salary, he would re-negotiate to turn much of his money into a signing bonus that would give substantial cap relief. We don't know the details, but the fact that his agent has agreed in principle to a contract with the Broncos indicates that there should be no considerable difficulties getting a deal done.

As for the trade compensation, the Broncos have reportedly offered their 3rd round pick, #96, the last pick of the third round. That's not a ton to give up for a starting QB who could potentially save their season.

They have refused so far to give up a 2nd rounder, and there's no reason to think that will change and the 49ers have rejected the offer, and there's no reason to think that will change either.

It looks like the 49ers will keep Kaepernick on the roster past April 1 in an attempt to force some desperate team to meet their demands. However, the draft will be in a few weeks after April 1, so they have a narrow time window to get a deal done.

He'd be an awfully expensive backup QB to Blaine Gabbert at $16M a year, pouting on the bench and stirring locker room dissension. Of course, if they gave the starting job to Kaepernick, Gabbert wouldn't be exactly thrilled either, and HE might demand a trade next.

Oh, the drama!

Cugel
03-15-2016, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Slick View Post

As Chad Brown explained on The Fan, players are paid more for their "potential" in this league than they are for past performance.

The Texans are willing to pay Brock $18M a year with a 2 year guarantee because they are gambling he will develop into a top 10 QB over the next several seasons. If they are right, they got a bargain. If not they overpaid.

Those more experienced QBs have less "up-side potential" because they have played enough to prove that they will never become a top 10 QB in this league.

But, from their perspective, if they didn't find at least a medium quality starting QB, they were going to lose their jobs anyway. So, it makes sense to take the risk, because if it failed, they wouldn't be around to pick up the pieces anyway.

Elway can't think like that because he's going to be around for at least the next 5 to 10 years.

Cugel
03-15-2016, 06:48 PM
Brock is the highest paid 1st year starting QB ever.

How do you like it in that aspect rav?

Or he is the highest paid QB ever who was benched mid season.

Once again, it doesn't really have much to do with last year.

Either he becomes a top 10 QB and justifies the contract or he doesn't and doesn't, in which case Rick Smith is officially Scott Pioli who traded for Matt Cassel, and paid him a $30M guaranteed contract to play for the Chefs.

TXBRONC
03-15-2016, 07:12 PM

Ugh. I suppose he can be cut.

Joel
03-15-2016, 07:43 PM
Sure but what is Brock exactly? Basically an older rookie.
No, that was Paul Sorvino. ;)

Lancane
03-17-2016, 03:57 PM
*Update* - SF and Kelly now say they want to keep Kaepernick. Chip Kelly - "I love Kap!".

slim
03-17-2016, 03:59 PM
Lol. A 16 million/year disgruntled bachup.

DenBronx
03-17-2016, 04:00 PM
*Update* - SF and Kelly now say they want to keep Kaepernick. Chip Kelly - "I love Kap!".

Oh god, I hope so. I really don't want that bum here.

Lancane
03-17-2016, 04:02 PM
Lol. A 16 million/year disgruntled bachup.

In Chip's system I'll bet you Kaepernick is the starter.

slim
03-17-2016, 04:04 PM
In Chip's system I'll bet you Kaepernick is the starter.

Not if he plays like he did last year

Northman
03-17-2016, 04:16 PM
Awesome. You keep Kap Mr. Kelly. I want no part of him in Denver.

slim
03-17-2016, 04:18 PM
Awesome. You keep Kap Mr. Kelly. I want no part of him in Denver.

Draft our own guy...I think that is the way to go

Cugel
03-17-2016, 06:03 PM
As for Chip Kelly saying he "loves" Kaepernick, that changes nothing. Kaep doesn't want to be in S.F. He wants to be traded. Perhaps if they gave him the starting job he might be mollified, but then what the hell do they do with Blaine Gabbert, who won the starting job?

Broncos fans have to understand this: Imagine if Peyton Manning were still under contract and they owed him $11M as of April 1. Imagine Brock was still under contract for $6M and had remained the starter after the benching of Peyton and played well. Peyton demands to be traded, but they can't swing a trade. Then Kubiak says: "we're keeping Peyton! We love Peyton!" How would Broncos fans react to that? How would Brock react?

Can you imagine the anger? "We don't want Peyton! We want Brock! Peyton sucked last year and got benched. Why don't they trade him? This is just stupid! Trade him!!!!"

Well, that's going to be the reaction in S.F. Maybe some fans will argue that Kaepernick would be good in Chip Kelly's offense, but most fans are going to want Gabbert, especially as he is $10M a year cheaper!

Remember that Kaepernick would re-negotiate his contract to be much more cap-friendly if the Broncos offered him a long term deal and made him the presumptive starter. But, he's sure not going to make any concessions to the 49ers! He's going to cost them the full $16M if they keep him this year.

I still think this is all a bluff designed to force some QB desperate team into offering them a 2nd round pick. I think they have to keep him on the roster after April 1 and eat the cap hit if they want to get anything more than Denver's 3rd round pick for him. The Jets meanwhile are just waiting for him to hit FA to enter into a bidding war for his services.

They have not reached agreement with Ryan Fitzpatrick, who still wants Osweiler money and isn't getting it.

TXBRONC
03-17-2016, 06:15 PM
Draft our own guy...I think that is the way to go

I couldn't agree more Slim.

MOtorboat
03-17-2016, 06:22 PM
As for Chip Kelly saying he "loves" Kaepernick, that changes nothing. Kaep doesn't want to be in S.F. He wants to be traded. Perhaps if they gave him the starting job he might be mollified, but then what the hell do they do with Blaine Gabbert, who won the starting job?

Broncos fans have to understand this: Imagine if Peyton Manning were still under contract and they owed him $11M as of April 1. Imagine Brock was still under contract for $6M and had remained the starter after the benching of Peyton and played well. Peyton demands to be traded, but they can't swing a trade. Then Kubiak says: "we're keeping Peyton! We love Peyton!" How would Broncos fans react to that? How would Brock react?

Can you imagine the anger? "We don't want Peyton! We want Brock! Peyton sucked last year and got benched. Why don't they trade him? This is just stupid! Trade him!!!!"

Well, that's going to be the reaction in S.F. Maybe some fans will argue that Kaepernick would be good in Chip Kelly's offense, but most fans are going to want Gabbert, especially as he is $10M a year cheaper!

Remember that Kaepernick would re-negotiate his contract to be much more cap-friendly if the Broncos offered him a long term deal and made him the presumptive starter. But, he's sure not going to make any concessions to the 49ers! He's going to cost them the full $16M if they keep him this year.

I still think this is all a bluff designed to force some QB desperate team into offering them a 2nd round pick. I think they have to keep him on the roster after April 1 and eat the cap hit if they want to get anything more than Denver's 3rd round pick for him. The Jets meanwhile are just waiting for him to hit FA to enter into a bidding war for his services.

They have not reached agreement with Ryan Fitzpatrick, who still wants Osweiler money and isn't getting it.

I don't want any Bronco executive to ever make or not make a move because of the fans. It's happened, I'm sure, but competent GMs don't do that regularly.

Cugel
03-17-2016, 06:50 PM
I don't want any Bronco executive to ever make or not make a move because of the fans. It's happened, I'm sure, but competent GMs don't do that regularly.

No, but remember the divided fan base when McMoron traded Jay Cutler and brought in Kyle Orton? That's what they can expect in S.F.

It's not as if the GM has to do whatever the fans want, but he can't totally alienate them either. They are the ticket-buying customers after all. You don't want a totally negative atmosphere at your home games with the fans booing and chanting "we want Gabbert! We want Gabbert!"

That totally undermines the home-field advantage. Compare that kind of atmosphere to the electricity of home games at Mile High where the fans really hinder the other team's offense.

slim
03-17-2016, 07:11 PM
I couldn't agree more Slim.

Me either

Simple Jaded
03-17-2016, 07:17 PM
You keep Kaepernick and Denver can keep Clady. Maybe. I hope.

tomjonesrocks
03-17-2016, 07:56 PM
You keep Kaepernick and Denver can keep Clady. Maybe. I hope.

Clady hasn't been useful in 3 years. Though he didn't miss games year before last, he was a shell of himself. He's done.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-17-2016, 08:50 PM
With trade talks around Colin Kaepernick cooling, the San Francisco 49ers are expected to keep the quarterback on their roster past April 1, the date his $11.9 million base salary for 2016 becomes guaranteed, sources tell ESPN's Adam Schefter.

But the team will still look to trade Kaepernick before or during the April 28-30 draft, sources tell Schefter.

Kaepernick's agents requested permission from the 49ers on Feb. 26 to seek a trade for their client.

Last week, the Broncos, Jets and Browns each expressed interest in Kaepernick, but a league source told Schefter that nothing was imminent.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14999306/colin-kaepernick-likely-san-francisco-49ers-april-1

TXBRONC
03-17-2016, 09:02 PM
rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14999306/colin-kaepernick-likely-san-francisco-49ers-april-1

Good luck with trying to shop him after April 1st.

Simple Jaded
03-17-2016, 11:44 PM
Clady hasn't been useful in 3 years. Though he didn't miss games year before last, he was a shell of himself. He's done.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Lancane
03-18-2016, 09:52 AM
Adam Schefter is reporting that trade talks have cooled off and that the 49ers will try to trade him during the draft of at all, as of now they plan on him being in the roster after April the 1st.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-18-2016, 11:19 AM
The Colin Kaepernick saga hit a lull this week, with there appearing to be hang-ups on draft compensation between the San Francisco 49ers and Denver Broncos, and Kap's contract between the 49ers and Cleveland Browns. Nobody seems in a huge hurry for the moment, but Benjamin Allbright is reporting a source "firmly believes" a deal will happen "given time."

Benjamin Allbright ‎@AllbrightNFL

Source "firmly believes" Kaepernick to #Broncos "will happen, given time."
7:14 PM - 17 Mar 2016

Allbright is not a major media figure, but he has done solid work in hitting on some rumors. Allbright is Colorado-based, so I am guessing he has a Broncos source who is saying this. I would expect them to think something could happen with a little patience. This comes as ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting the 49ers are expected to keep Kaepernick on the roster past April 1, but the team will still look to deal him before or during the draft next month.

rest - http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/3/18/11260366/colin-kaepernick-trade-rumor-deal-to-broncos-will-happen-given-time

TXBRONC
03-18-2016, 11:40 AM
Adam Schefter is reporting that trade talks have cooled off and that the 49ers will try to trade him during the draft of at all, as of now they plan on him being in the roster after April the 1st.

I wasn't really big on Denver trading for Kaepernick. Depending on how this draft falls it wouldn't be surprising if Denver took a quarterback in the first round. Obviously it someone that Elway and Kubiak are completely sold on.

Cugel
03-18-2016, 12:18 PM

Jeff Legwold, 9News Broncos insider is reporting on the radio that the 49ers have decided to pay Kaepernick the $11 M guarantee and then trade him during the pre-draft period. The Broncos however are unlikely to trade for Kaepernick, Legwold says. It would have been a best case scenario where Kaepernick would have to agree to a significant restructure of his contract, and the 49ers would have to agree to a 3rd round pick, and neither of these things happened.

"The Broncos feel a lot better about the Mark Sanchez signing than a lot of Broncos fans do. I spoke to a former coach in NY who said that if you could get him to grow up, you'd have a heck of a QB."

Oh, great! Our starting QB in 2016 is "if only he would grow up, he could be good." :rolleyes:

BroncoJoe
03-18-2016, 12:21 PM
I've never heard Sanchez is immature. That's a new one...

I really hope at this point we leave the "high profile" QB's alone and sign some veteran backup for cheap, then draft Kevin Hogan.

wayninja
03-18-2016, 12:33 PM
I, for one, am looking forward to the retread QB carousel. Brian Hoyer FTW!

Cugel
03-18-2016, 12:42 PM
Here's some rather dubious news:

The 49ers are trying to play the patience game as well. Matt Maiocco reported a source told him the 49ers are willing to retain Kaepernick if they don't get the compensation they want. The source also said the team will not release Kaepernick if a trade does not happen. A source told Cam Inman Kaepernick will not demand a trade if he is not released before the 49ers offseason workout program gets going on April 4. Kaepernick is due to come to Santa Clara on Friday for a physical. In the meantime, Chip Kelly has said he has had conversations with Kaepernick, but they have not gone into any detail on Kaepernick's trade request.

The Broncos reportedly think Colin Kaepernick is worth a fourth round pick. Other reports suggest the 49ers want a low second or high third round pick, and thus we are left with an impasse. (http://www.ninersnation.com/2016/3/18/11260366/colin-kaepernick-trade-rumor-deal-to-broncos-will-happen-given-time)

This is a moderately high stakes game of chicken for the Broncos. They currently have Mark Sanchez and Trevor Siemian as their quarterbacks. If either of them is the starter Week 1, something has likely gone very poorly. On the other hand, the Broncos likely believe the 49ers are not willing to carry Kap on the roster this fall. If they think the 49ers would consider releasing Kaepernick, it makes sense to wait for the 49ers to come down to their demands.

The news is that the 49ers have met with Kaepernick. Maybe they will keep him past the draft. I agree with every other commentator who says that if the Broncos enter the season with Mark Sanchez and Trevor Seimian as their QBs "something has gone very poorly."

But, the Broncos might not think that. After all, they kept insisting against all the evidence last year that their OL was just fine, when it wasn't. They might think Mark Sanchez will give them a chance to repeat as SB champion.

After all, he did take the Jets to the AFC Championship game twice, although that was a very long time ago by NFL standards. So, it's not totally incredible Elway could believe in Sanchez enough to trust his season to the guy. He could even be right. Who knows for sure at this point?

BroncoJoe
03-18-2016, 12:45 PM
How is that dubious?

wayninja
03-18-2016, 12:47 PM
How is that dubious?

It's dubious that it's dubious.

Lancane
03-18-2016, 12:48 PM
I have them taking Cook at 31, but Lynch could surprise. Hogan is about the 6th best QB in the draft IMO.

Cugel
03-18-2016, 12:49 PM
Frankly, it would be shocking if the Broncos didn't draft a QB this year, regardless of whether they sign Kaepernick or not. None of the Broncos options at starting QB could be characterized as "sure things." Any of them could be disasters, or good. Probably the most reliable option at QB this year would be Ryan Fitzpatrick and there's little indication that he will come here. He reportedly wants to be paid Osweiler money, and nobody is willing to do that since he's 33 years old and has a ten year history in the NFL that one good season does not completely erase.

He and the Jets are at an impasse, but nobody else has stepped up and offered him the kind of contract he wants either. Reportedly, the Broncos contacted his agent, but nothing seems to have come of it. If the agent said "we want $18M a year with a 2 year guarantee" or something like that, the conversation may have been rather short.

wayninja
03-18-2016, 12:49 PM
After all, he did take the Jets to the AFC Championship game twice, although that was a very long time ago by NFL standards. So, it's not totally incredible Elway could believe in Sanchez enough to trust his season to the guy. He could even be right. Who knows for sure at this point?

He took the Jets to the playoffs the in same way Manning took last seasons broncos to the superbowl.

BroncoJoe
03-18-2016, 12:50 PM
I have them taking Cook at 31, but Lynch could surprise. Hogan is about the 6th best QB in the draft IMO.

Lancane, I don't watch college football, other than the Buffs, which also basically says I don't watch college football....

Anyway, what do you think of the Stanford QB, Kevin Hogan?

Cugel
03-18-2016, 12:56 PM
How is that dubious?

Most everybody believes they are bluffing because they would have to pay Kaepernick $16M for a full season and Blaine Gabbert $6M. It's just totally insane to pay your backup $10M more than your starter for one.

But, what if Chip Kelly just makes Kaepernick the starter? Then you've got a wildly angry Blaine Gabbert for one. He feels he won the starting job fair and square last year - rather the way Brock felt after he came in and won a bunch of games in relief of Manning.

So, what do you do with Gabbert? He's going to want to be traded and go elsewhere. And what if Kaepernick DOESN'T work out? He can't be labelled a "sure thing" after all. Would they be better off with Gabbert then?

QB controversy! Guaranteed. Locker room harmony? Pretty much out the window.

Remember the 49ers won 5 games last year and are picking 5th overall in the draft. They could even be taking Jared Goff or Carson Wentz, which would really shake things up. Make even LESS sense to keep Kaepernick if they did that.

Lancane
03-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Cerebral quarterback with an okay arm, elongated windup which reminds me of Philip Rivers. He has the prototypical build, athletic and can use his legs, played under center more then most in a west coast system. His celing is similar to Cousins physically, Warner mentally. Overall Hogan is a solid pick with a QB that has a couple years in him for him to sit and learn.

BroncoJoe
03-18-2016, 01:03 PM
Cerebral quarterback with an okay arm, elongated windup which reminds me of Philip Rivers. He has the prototypical build, athletic and can use his legs, played under center more then most in a west coast system. His celing is similar to Cousins physically, Warner mentally. Overall Hogan is a solid pick with a QB that has a couple years in him for him to sit and learn.

I've watched some highlights of him - granted they're his best throws/games - and I think he'd fit great in the Kubiak system. Plus, he's a Stanford guy (Elway...) who will most likely be drafted in the later rounds.

If we trust what Elway is saying and they're happy with Sanchez, I could see us drafting him (or someone like him) and letting them sit for a year and learn.

Cugel
03-18-2016, 01:10 PM
He took the Jets to the playoffs the in same way Manning took last seasons broncos to the superbowl.

:laugh: Don't argue with me! I'm not the one arguing that he will be great! I think mocking ridicule is more appropriate than great expectations.

I'm posting what possible argument Elway could make.

Valar Morghulis
03-18-2016, 01:54 PM
Lancane, I don't watch college football, other than the Buffs, which also basically says I don't watch college football.... Anyway, what do you think of the Stanford QB, Kevin Hogan?

I don't like him for the same reasons I don't like dak.

Too much like teebs

BroncoJoe
03-18-2016, 02:04 PM
I don't like him for the same reasons I don't like dak.

Too much like teebs

Really? He rarely runs, and seems to be pretty accurate. He has a bit of a long throwing motion, but that would be about the only comparison to Tebow I could see.

Northman
03-18-2016, 02:04 PM

I have no problem with Hogan, but i wouldnt mind Cook either.

Valar Morghulis
03-18-2016, 02:05 PM

Love cook

BroncoJoe
03-18-2016, 02:06 PM
Love ****

gross.

EDIT: Sorry - this is in the main forum.

Northman
03-18-2016, 02:07 PM
Really? He rarely runs, and seems to be pretty accurate. He has a bit of a long throwing motion, but that would be about the only comparison to Tebow I could see.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/02/2016_nfl_draft_kevin_hogan_could_end_up_the_best_q .html

What do I like about Hogan?
Almost everything.

At 6-4, 220, he doesn't have the imposing size of Lynch and Wentz, but he has ideal size for the position. He's the same height and a few pounds lighter than Andrew Luck was when he was at Stanford. And while Hogan is not a "running'' quarterback, he has plenty of mobility to avoid trouble.

He certainly isn't a statue in the pocket.
He's smart, most Stanford quarterbacks are.
He has shown excellent poise in the pocket.
He comes out of a pro style offense, which makes him a little more ready than most.

He put up good numbers last year with 27 touchdown passes to just eight interceptions. And never had a game with multiple interceptions.

Most importantly he not only won, and won big games, he played great in the big games. You can't say that about four of the other five quarterbacks, and Wentz' big games were against schools nobody knows.

Go back and check out what Hogan did against then No. 4 in the country Notre Dame. With the Fighting Irish doing all they could to contain Stanford running back Christian McCaffery (http://www.nj.com/sports/index.ssf/2015/12/why_stanfords_christian_mccaffrey_will_win_the_hei .html) (27 carries, 94 yards) Hogan sliced them apart. He had as many touchdown passes as incompletions (17-for-21, 269 yards, four touchdowns) in an exciting 38-36 win.

Valar Morghulis
03-18-2016, 02:08 PM

I may have to agree. Just been looking at him online.

I think the few times I saw him last season, he must have just been having a poor game

BroncoJoe
03-18-2016, 02:08 PM
I like the kid. I'm just very confused as to why Dave would think he's a Tebow clone.

Northman
03-18-2016, 02:10 PM
I like the kid. I'm just very confused as to why Dave would think he's a Tebow clone.

Not entirely sure myself but did agree about the Dak comparison with Tebow.

BroncoJoe
03-18-2016, 02:11 PM
Not entirely sure myself but did agree about the Dak comparison with Tebow.

That's why I don't want Dak here. He is a bit more talented than Tebow, but in the same mold.

Valar Morghulis
03-18-2016, 02:14 PM
Yeah, I was wrong.

But I would still rather draft hackenberg

CoachChaz
03-18-2016, 02:26 PM
I think what I dont like about Hogan in a Kubiak offense is the opposite of Tebow. Hogan just isnt very mobile. He's not Manning, but he's not mcuh to write home about in that area. On top of the long throwing motion, he seems to have deep ball accuracy issues as well. Just my amateur opinion, but I think his ceiling would be close to what we'd get out of Sanchez.

I'm not a huge fan of Cook...but I'd definitely prefer him to Hogan. But if I'm looking at players in round 3 or later that are going to require 2-3 years of development before they are ready...I would go with Jones over Hogan

Lancane
03-18-2016, 02:39 PM

Cook IMHO reminds me of Dalton but with the swagger of Montana.

Simple Jaded
03-18-2016, 03:25 PM
Hogan throws like Tebow, not Rivers.

DenBronx
03-18-2016, 03:32 PM
Why do threads about free agents or a player always turn into stupid draft debates?

Simple Jaded
03-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Because 3 things make the world go around this time of year; sex, the NFL Draft and boobs.

Lancane
03-18-2016, 03:47 PM
To a degree you're correct but also wrong. Rivers mechanics were cleaner, but he had an atrocious windup and a funky release, he got the windup down but his release stayed. Osweiler had a similar windup and sought help from the same coach who helped Rivers, he also worked with Tebow but most those with that same issue try to be coached out of it.

Simple Jaded
03-18-2016, 03:53 PM
To a degree you're correct but also wrong. Rivers mechanics were cleaner, but he had an atrocious windup and a funky release, he got the windup down but his release stayed. Osweiler had a similar windup and sought help from the same coach who helped Rivers, he also worked with Tebow but most those with that same issue try to be coached out of it.

Osweiler and Rivers are very similar, both are quick too.

Hogan just reminds me of Tebow throwing.

Lancane
03-18-2016, 04:14 PM
Osweiler and Rivers are very similar, both are quick too.

Hogan just reminds me of Tebow throwing.

If you watch, Tebow had almost no elbow bend Hogan does though, it can be fixed...but it will take time and coaching. Not that he is my top choice that is for sure. First Tier: Wentz, Goff, Lynch and Cook. Second Tier: Hackenberg and Jones. Third Tier: Prescott, Hogan and Sudfeld.

Simple Jaded
03-18-2016, 04:16 PM
If you watch, Tebow had almost no elbow bend Hogan does though, it can be fixed...but it will take time and coaching. Not that he is my top choice that is for sure. First Tier: Wentz, Goff, Lynch and Cook. Second Tier: Hackenberg and Jones. Third Tier: Prescott, Hogan and Sudfeld.

Jones?

Edit, Cardale Jones? Pass, I would take any of those QB's but him.

Lancane
03-18-2016, 04:35 PM
Jones?

Edit, Cardale Jones? Pass, I would take any of those QB's but him.

I think Jones can be a sleeper, his mechanics are the only thing making him 2nd Tier, otherwise he'd be in the 3rd.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-18-2016, 10:32 PM
I think what I dont like about Hogan in a Kubiak offense is the opposite of Tebow. Hogan just isnt very mobile. He's not Manning, but he's not mcuh to write home about in that area. On top of the long throwing motion, he seems to have deep ball accuracy issues as well. Just my amateur opinion, but I think his ceiling would be close to what we'd get out of Sanchez.

I'm not a huge fan of Cook...but I'd definitely prefer him to Hogan. But if I'm looking at players in round 3 or later that are going to require 2-3 years of development before they are ready...I would go with Jones over Hogan

Doesn't Cardell's football iq concern you?

Lancane
03-18-2016, 10:40 PM

Actually watching him with Gruden he did well in dispelling the lack of football IQ somewhat. Not completely, but it's his superior mechanics that get's him in the second tier for me. But out of him and Hackenberg, I go Hack or the Top four.

NightTerror218
03-18-2016, 10:42 PM
I think Jones can be a sleeper, his mechanics are the only thing making him 2nd Tier, otherwise he'd be in the 3rd.

Pass on jones. He should go undrafted.

He only got 2 start since 2 QBS above him were lost for season. Got shot as starter this year and lost job. He is a punk who blames others. He is big and ran a lot last year when he was starting. Not a good QB, accuracy is not great, nor toming, nor reading defenses.

Simple Jaded
03-19-2016, 12:04 AM

I've gotten the impression that he wants to be a celebrity QB and the fact that he even considered coming out last season is concerning. His college offense is utter garbage from a QB standpoint and the fact that he got benched in that offense without actually losing a game makes me really question his fit in a real offense. Although, one counder argue that maybe that means he doesn't fit garbage offenses.

Lancane
03-19-2016, 02:35 AM
I've gotten the impression that he wants to be a celebrity QB and the fact that he even considered coming out last season is concerning. His college offense is utter garbage from a QB standpoint and the fact that he got benched in that offense without actually losing a game makes me really question his fit in a real offense. Although, one counder argue that maybe that means he doesn't fit garbage offenses.

Who knows, I've heard he's hot a good head on his shoulders when he uses it. But that could mean little, I still wouldn't draft him till late third on. But there is an immense drop-off after those considered third tier. Not many sleeper picks, possibly Driskel. As for Terror's assessment, 63% completion percentage means he is better then average. He has the arm and tools, better mechanics then most of these kids props him up somewhat.

TXBRONC
03-19-2016, 02:36 AM

He's smarter than Tebow as a quarterback. The elongated throwing motion will more than likely end up being a problem for him.

Lancane
03-19-2016, 03:10 AM
He's smarter Tebow as a quarterback. The elongated throwing motion will more than likely end up being a problem for him.

Agreed, he can overcome it, but some don't and if not for that he'd move up and be a second tier QB. This year we have more then a couple with that elongated throwing motion, which is disconcerting conserdering the future of the position. You could make an argument that Hackenberg may be the only second tier kid in this draft. Some may have him As a first tier or as a third tier, the lack of second tier depth and the drop-off after third tier is what makes this an iffy QB Class. Next years looks worse, actually it looks putrid.

TXBRONC
03-19-2016, 09:29 AM
Agreed, he can overcome it, but some don't and if not for that he'd move up and be a second tier QB. This year we have more then a couple with that elongated throwing motion, which is disconcerting conserdering the future of the position. You could make an argument that Hackenberg may be the only second tier kid in this draft. Some may have him As a first tier or as a third tier, the lack of second tier depth and the drop-off after third tier is what makes this an iffy QB Class. Next years looks worse, actually it looks putrid.

I guess the thing for Elway to do is trade up for Wentz or Goff. :D

Cugel
03-19-2016, 12:21 PM

How many times does it have to be pointed out that this is impossible given the Broncos draft position at #31? Or were you only joking?

BroncoJoe
03-19-2016, 12:53 PM
How many times does it have to be pointed out that this is impossible given the Broncos draft position at #31? Or were you only joking?

It's not impossible.

Poet
03-19-2016, 12:55 PM
It's not impossible.

Trades are more likely to occur with the new rookie cap.

Ravage!!!
03-19-2016, 01:03 PM

The BIG smiley didn't give you a hint?

LTC Pain
03-19-2016, 01:03 PM
It's not impossible.

Exactly. If Wentz falls past 15, I think Elway tries to trade up for him.

Simple Jaded
03-19-2016, 01:57 PM
I actually like Joel Stave as a sleeper, Driskell too.

CoachChaz
03-19-2016, 02:09 PM

He needs a lot of work. That's why I said 2-3 year project drafted after round 3.

TXBRONC
03-19-2016, 04:58 PM

Yes I was joking however, it not impossible.

DenBronx
03-19-2016, 07:14 PM

You are high as a kite if you think it's "impossible".

NightTerror218
03-19-2016, 07:57 PM

It is always possible.

I think Goff will e easier to get since it looks like he will fall out of top 5. Makes move easier then top 3.

Elway could very well trade players and picks to move up.

slim
03-19-2016, 08:25 PM
With John Elway everything is possible

TXBRONC
03-19-2016, 09:38 PM

Exactly, it's not impossible. It's not likely but it's not impossible.

Lancane
03-19-2016, 09:45 PM

Doughtry is rising some and could be a huge sleeper given the small school program, Stave and Driskell are going to either be drafted late or not at all, not sure you can bank on either being more then backups at the next level to be honest.

pipes
03-19-2016, 10:53 PM

I want to like Stave but he seemed to really regress this year. Here in Iowa I get to see Wisconsin play quite often and he seemed to make horrible decisions multiple times every quarter of every game I watched. His Jr year was good though.

Driskell is highly talented. If he can sit on the bench for a few and get coached up, I think he has a chance to have a good career.

Simple Jaded
03-19-2016, 11:25 PM
I want to like Stave but he seemed to really regress this year. Here in Iowa I get to see Wisconsin play quite often and he seemed to make horrible decisions multiple times every quarter of every game I watched. His Jr year was good though.

Driskell is highly talented. If he can sit on the bench for a few and get coached up, I think he has a chance to have a good career.

I'm just a sucker for talent, both are loaded, but especially players that run any semblance of pro shit. Stave took a lot of snaps from center, I'm probably the only who cares about that.

Simple Jaded
03-19-2016, 11:28 PM
Doughtry is rising some and could be a huge sleeper given the small school program, Stave and Driskell are going to either be drafted late or not at all, not sure you can bank on either being more then backups at the next level to be honest.

Yeah, deep sleepers. I don't see a single draftable prediction for Stave. Doughty is thoroughly underwhelming, should go undrafted too.

Lancane
03-20-2016, 01:17 AM
Being realistic, I see Denver having four options; trading up which looking at the draft order the best options are 1st, 6th and 13th overall with Tennessee, Baltimore or Miami. To trade up to any of the three will be costly, the difference is the additional compensation. I know some are hoping Lynch falls, but there are too many needy teams, I don't see him falling that low. Cleveland, Dallas, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Buffalo, Arizona and Denver are all in need of a quarterback, the Cardinals may wait unless Lynch falls to them, same with the Bills. Of those, I believe Tennessee or Miami are the best options, unless Wentz falls which I doubt.

So what would be the cost? 1st and 2nd Round picks this and next year, that is the equivalent of three 1st round picks, but with how often those are lower picks, I'd say they'd have to add more, I would throw in Talib and Clady which both fit a need for them. Miami's pick would likely cost our 1st, 2nd and both those players as well which again fits their needs. Or the Broncos can stand pat, hope for Lynch to fall or take Cook. Which they'll have take him at 31 to be safe.

Personally, I prefer the first. Of those needy, we have the most talent and can sacrifice while staying competitive. Also if you look at history, Denver has truly only found success with a quarterback under center who was taken first overall.

sneakers
03-20-2016, 03:22 AM

Joel Stave is TERRIBLE

Dapper Dan
03-20-2016, 11:19 AM

http://i0.wp.com/gamedayr.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/jeff-driskel-scooter-jorts-florida.png?resize=473%2C550

TXBRONC
03-20-2016, 12:49 PM
It is always possible.

I think Goff will e easier to get since it looks like he will fall out of top 5. Makes move easier then top 3.

Elway could very well trade players and picks to move up.

I've seen mock drafts rescently that have Goff still going in the top five.

Northman
03-20-2016, 01:04 PM
I've seen mock drafts rescently that have Goff still going in the top five.

Yea, i dont see it happening.

TXBRONC
03-20-2016, 05:34 PM
Yea, i dont see it happening.

If Denver is interested in ethier Wentz or Goff but I doubt it happens.

CoachChaz
03-20-2016, 07:32 PM
If Denver wants any of the top 4 QB's, they may have to trade up. IN the assumptive scenario that CLE, SF and LAR take QB's in the first...by the 15th pick...we are still in the daunting position of drafting last. So, if another team with a need at QB now, or a team with an aging veteran (NO, ARI, etc) thinks highly of Cook or whoever wasnt already drafted...they could trade back into the first and snatch him. One of the main reasons being the fact that a 1st round QB has the 5 year deal as opposed to the 4 year deal afterward. So having a player for an extra year to develop him while waiting for a vet contract to expire or the player to retire has some serious value...as we learned with the Osweiler scenario.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-20-2016, 08:39 PM
Colin Kaepernick still appears to be in limbo as the April 1 deadline for his $11.9 million guaranteed salary for 2016 approaches. But it appears the Denver Broncos are the most aggressive in trying to land the athletic quarterback

According to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, the defending champs are in the lead for Kaepernick.

rest - http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/denver-broncos-colin-kaepernick-eager-to-make-a-move-032016

Cugel
03-20-2016, 09:21 PM

OK. "Impracticable." If you assume, as every mock draft I've seen does, that both Goff and Wentz are top 5 picks that means the Broncos would need at least Jacksonville's pick, worth 1700 points. Denver's pick is worth 600 points. The 2017 pick is worth anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 less than their pick this year. The standard thing is to assume the pick is the same as the previous year - i.e. Denver would be #32 - so about 400 points for the #1 pick in 2017.

I know people don't like to do any math, but just add it up. 600 + 400 = 1000. Two years' #1 wouldn't be close. The #1 pick for the next 3 years might do it, but you're surrendering the draft for years to come.

No way Elway would consider doing this.

And the Jaguars would have to want to trade back to #31 too, which normally they don't because they have been scouting top 10 picks and would like to trade down within the top ten rather than all the way back to the end of the round.

We could go on, but you get the point. It's not going to happen. Not remotely a consideration.

TXBRONC
03-20-2016, 09:49 PM
OK. "Impracticable." If you assume, as every mock draft I've seen does, that both Goff and Wentz are top 5 picks that means the Broncos would need at least Jacksonville's pick, worth 1700 points. Denver's pick is worth 600 points. The 2017 pick is worth anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 less than their pick this year. The standard thing is to assume the pick is the same as the previous year - i.e. Denver would be #32 - so about 400 points for the #1 pick in 2017.

I know people don't like to do any math, but just add it up. 600 + 400 = 1000. Two years' #1 wouldn't be close. The #1 pick for the next 3 years might do it, but you're surrendering the draft for years to come.

No way Elway would consider doing this.

And the Jaguars would have to want to trade back to #31 too, which normally they don't because they have been scouting top 10 picks and would like to trade down within the top ten rather than all the way back to the end of the round.

We could go on, but you get the point. It's not going to happen. Not remotely a consideration.

Cugel, not all trades are based off of the points value chart nor would Denver necessarily have to give up three years worth of number one picks to get a trade done.

Cugel
03-20-2016, 09:50 PM
Colin Kaepernick still appears to be in limbo as the April 1 deadline for his $11.9 million guaranteed salary for 2016 approaches. But it appears the Denver Broncos are the most aggressive in trying to land the athletic quarterback

According to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora, the defending champs are in the lead for Kaepernick.

The most recent reporting is that Denver has offered a 4th round pick, while the Browns offered their 3rd round pick. 49ers were OK with Cleveland's pick, but the Browns couldn't reach agreement with K's agent because they want to pay him backup money (makes sense since they have the #2 pick and could take Wentz or Goff and use Kaepernick as a 1 year starter and don't want to overpay him).

It doesn't look to me as though Elway will come off his mid-round tender. Maybe he'll offer a 3rd, but the 49ers don't seem inclined to take it.

Everybody thinks the 49ers are crazy crackpot to keep Kaepernick and pay him $16m this year as a backup. But, who knows what Chip Kelly will do? He has no ties to Blaine Gabbert and could easily put him back on the bench.

Of course, if they do that they lose him as he's a UFA in 2017. But, Kelly could decide he's rolling with Kaepernick.

Or he could use the #7 pick on a QB and just need Kaepernick as a "bridge QB."

I'd be surprised if this deal ultimately gets done. Elway is playing hardball on this and doesn't look like he will blink. I could be wrong of course but that's they way it looks - like the 49ers would have to accept no more than a 3rd round pick from the Broncos.

Cugel
03-20-2016, 09:59 PM
Cugel, not all trades are based off of the points value chart nor would Denver necessarily have to give up three years worth of number one picks to get a trade done.

No. Trades start with the draft chart. And while teams don't exactly adhere to the exact points, they would be wary of going grossly against the standard values. Feel free to point out any trades of a top 10 pick that would trade from #5 down to #31. I don't think it's ever happened.

So, maybe it might not take 3 #1s. They might take 2 #1s and a player or something.

But, Elway would have to totally love and be confident of getting a 10 year franchise player to make a move giving up multiple #1 picks. There's a serious risk you wind up being the Jets moving up to get Mark Sanchez. And the top 5 team would have to agree to move down that far, which normally they wouldn't.

Every time I point out that the points don't match up, people argue "teams don't go off the points." Well, not exactly perhaps, but this trade is so far off that no way in hell could it happen in real life.

Elway isn't going to do it and it would be incredibly hard to accomplish for any reasonable price in picks, even if he wanted to.

Cugel
03-20-2016, 10:05 PM
Being realistic, I see Denver having four options; trading up which looking at the draft order the best options are 1st, 6th and 13th overall with Tennessee, Baltimore or Miami. To trade up to any of the three will be costly,...

Much more likely Elway does what he did in 2012, get a developmental QB in the 2nd or 3rd round and develop him for a couple of years. This team is ready to win another SB right now if they can get an experienced, good QB. So, rookie QB isn't going to start anyway.

If they are going to develop him for a couple of years, then might as well get a developmental QB and work with him as they did with Osweiler. It would cost much less and Elway is stingy with his draft picks.

You don't see him throwing picks around like McMoron did. He values them for salary cap reasons - rookie players are cheap.

TXBRONC
03-21-2016, 07:30 AM
No. Trades start with the draft chart. And while teams don't exactly adhere to the exact points, they would be wary of going grossly against the standard values. Feel free to point out any trades of a top 10 pick that would trade from #5 down to #31. I don't think it's ever happened.

So, maybe it might not take 3 #1s. They might take 2 #1s and a player or something.

But, Elway would have to totally love and be confident of getting a 10 year franchise player to make a move giving up multiple #1 picks. There's a serious risk you wind up being the Jets moving up to get Mark Sanchez. And the top 5 team would have to agree to move down that far, which normally they wouldn't.

Every time I point out that the points don't match up, people argue "teams don't go off the points." Well, not exactly perhaps, but this trade is so far off that no way in hell could it happen in real life.

Elway isn't going to do it and it would be incredibly hard to accomplish for any reasonable price in picks, even if he wanted to.

You don't have to get all the way to the first overall pick in the draft to get either Wentz or Goff. I don't think it has to be first overall pick or bust.

DenBronx
03-21-2016, 09:03 AM

You don't have to get all the way to the first overall pick in the draft to get either Wentz or Goff. I don't think it has to be first overall pick or bust.

Some guys try to over analyze everything that they completely lose all common sense. Reality says we need a QB....common sense says we will target one in the draft. It also says when teams really like someone they trade up. Even if that means trading away multiple 1st, 2nds or whatever it takes....YES whatever.

Northman
03-21-2016, 09:11 AM
I dont see Denver trading a lot of picks even if its possible. There isnt a QB in this draft that is worth doing that anyway.

CoachChaz
03-21-2016, 10:48 AM
I dont see Denver trading a lot of picks even if its possible. There isnt a QB in this draft that is worth doing that anyway.

Agreed. The best QB in the draft by far, starred at an FCS school. That should be quite telling of the overall talent available this year.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-21-2016, 11:03 AM
BOCA RATON, Fla. -- Cleveland Browns director of football operations Sashi Brown shot down the chatter that the Browns were actively pursuing a trade with San Francisco for quarterback Colin Kaepernick on Monday.

Browns coach Hue Jackson also said the interview with Robert Griffin III in Cleveland was part of what will be an exhaustive effort to find a quarterback, but no immediate or fast action should be anticipated.

"I think we're going to continue to investigate it," Jackson said at a meeting with the Cleveland media. "It's what we do. We don't just jump into something just to jump in."

Brown said the Kaepernick trade talks were "way over-reported."

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15032433/cleveland-browns-not-actively-pursuing-colin-kaepernick-trade-san-francisco-49ers

Bronco4ever
03-21-2016, 11:33 AM
I'd rather have Sanchez than Kaep. I don't see the point in trading a pick or two and taking on his salary if he's not the long term guy. Viva la Sanchez!

TXBRONC
03-21-2016, 11:35 AM

It hasn't been Elway's m.o. to trade away a lot of picks, I don't see him doing it here either. That said, Denver has ten picks in the upcoming draft and I'm not sure there is enough room for all of them roster and practice squad. That is assuming he is able to re-sign the rest of our own free agents.

Northman
03-21-2016, 11:50 AM
It hasn't been Elway's m.o. to trade away a lot of picks, I don't see him doing it here either. That said, Denver has ten picks in the upcoming draft and I'm not sure there is enough room for all of them roster and practice squad. That is assuming he is able to re-sign the rest of our own free agents.

Well, its not like all of our picks year in and year out make it on the team or practice squad as it is so the amount of picks really isnt a problem in my opinion. If anything, it just gives Denver more options to try and find gems hidden in the rough and then whoever doesnt make the cut gets cut.

CoachChaz
03-21-2016, 12:18 PM

Trade Clady for a 4th and turn that pick into Kaepernick.

Valar Morghulis
03-21-2016, 12:37 PM

I don't want Kaep, but I think that would be a nice way for the duke to get him man - draft day style, perhaps we could get a long snapper thrown in somehow as well!

TXBRONC
03-21-2016, 01:13 PM

I suppose.

CoachChaz
03-21-2016, 01:19 PM
I don't want Kaep, but I think that would be a nice way for the duke to get him man - draft day style, perhaps we could get a long snapper thrown in somehow as well!

I get it...but if we can all sit around and somehow miraculously convince ourselves that Sanchez can be successful here, then we certainly have to be able to have the same insane rationale to say Kaepernick can be successful here. At the end of the day, it comes down to situations. Kaep has been successful when matched with the right coach and an offense to fit his style...and I think Denver offers an even better opportunity for that. Sanchez, on the other hand has just never been more than mediocre, regardless of the coach. Can Kubiak and Elway change that? Maybe. But if I'm gambling on one of those two to be more successful in a quality coached environment...my money is on the guy with more natural ability. The only sticking point is compensation. But I have nothing but complete faith in Elway to get his guy at the right price. He's been pretty damn successful at that so far.

With Elway and Baalke likely in the same rooms this week at the owners meetings, I'm sure there will be a lot more meat to this situation in the next few days

Dapper Dan
03-21-2016, 07:32 PM
When has Sanchez ever been matched up with the right coach and the right system?

I think both quarterbacks are mediocre. One of them we don't have to lose a 4th for.

Poet
03-21-2016, 08:36 PM
One of them has the potential to win an entire game by himself. The other is a weak armed chump. Sanchez will probably be fine, but there is a potential with Kaepernick that does not exist with Sanchez.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-21-2016, 08:37 PM
Chip Kelly might be new to the San Francisco 49ers but he's apparently going to make one of the biggest decisions for the club next season.

The 49ers new coach will make the ultimate decision whether the team keeps Colin Kaepernick or cuts him, according to Bleacher Report. Owner Jed York wants to keep Kapernick, whose $11.9 million salary for next season will become guaranteed on April 1, but will leave the final decision to Kelly, according to the report.

Multiple teams have been linked to Kaeperinick, regressed badly last season, throwing for 1,615 yards with six touchdowns and five interceptions. The Broncos reportedly have shown the most interest in the fifth-year pro, but if Kelly believes he can turn around Kaepernick then keeping him would make the most sense.

rest - http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/colin-kaepernick-49ers-in-chip-kelly-to-decide-fate-032116

TXBRONC
03-21-2016, 08:51 PM
I am a little surprised Kelly does seem interested in keeping Kaepernick. If I'm not mistaken Kaeperick ran a similar offense in college.

MOtorboat
03-21-2016, 08:59 PM
I am a little surprised Kelly does seem interested in keeping Kaepernick. If I'm not mistaken Kaeperick ran a similar offense in college.

Ran the run-heavy pistol at Nevada. I'll be honest, I'm not sure what offense Kelly wants to run. There are aspects of his Oregon offense, but it resembles more of an air-raid than a spread.

I maintain my stance that Kelly doesn't really know what he's doing, so if the above is true, who knows what'll happen.

Simple Jaded
03-21-2016, 09:52 PM
I'd rather have Sanchez than Kaep. I don't see the point in trading a pick or two and taking on his salary if he's not the long term guy. Viva la Sanchez!

Horale!

Simple Jaded
03-21-2016, 09:55 PM

Both were/are super gay.

Dapper Dan
03-21-2016, 10:14 PM
One of them has the potential to win an entire game by himself. The other is a weak armed chump. Sanchez will probably be fine, but there is a potential with Kaepernick that does not exist with Sanchez.

You could say the same with RG3 and Johnny Football. Potential potential. Blah blah. They used the same reason to pick Kap over Alex Smith. And I still believe it was a terrible choice.

Poet
03-21-2016, 10:16 PM
You could say the same with RG3 and Johnny Football. Potential potential. Blah blah. They used the same reason to pick Kap over Alex Smith. And I still believe it was a terrible choice.

The difference is that Kaep showed more potential for a longer time. Alex Smith did less with the same team, too. Is he a better QB now? Sure. Has he ever been more effective than Kaep was then? Nope. But Smith was also a retread and viewed as a bust as well, but now we know him to be an above average QB.

Dapper Dan
03-21-2016, 10:16 PM
I don't think the Broncos will be in shotgun or pistol very much. We need a guy who can play under center.

Dapper Dan
03-21-2016, 10:17 PM
The difference is that Kaep showed more potential for a longer time. Alex Smith did less with the same team, too. Is he a better QB now? Sure. Has he ever been more effective than Kaep was then? Nope. But Smith was also a retread and viewed as a bust as well, but now we know him to be an above average QB.

Because people judge based on salary or draft position.

Poet
03-21-2016, 10:25 PM
Because people judge based on salary or draft position.

Kaepernick had a period of time that tops anything Smith did. It was based off of that, but yes his draft position has a lot to do with his number one status.

Dapper Dan
03-21-2016, 10:28 PM
Kaepernick had a period of time that tops anything Smith did. It was based off of that, but yes his draft position has a lot to do with his number one status.

And constantly being compared to Aaron Rodgers. Smith seems to play slightly better when he doesn't have a new coach or OC every season.

Joel
03-21-2016, 11:00 PM
Also agreed. The new CBAs rookie cap and 5th year club option for 1st rounders raised all pick values, but none more than late 1st rounders. Giving up THREE of those to move just a couple dozen spots for ONE is crazy. Particularly since any pick's a crap shoot; the odds of winning the lottery are small with three tickets, but three times SMALLER with only one. Trade three 1st rounders to move to #2 overall and odds are you just bought RG III: We could get him for NO picks, right now.

As others have noted, giving away multiple shots at inexpensive, long term elite talent doesn't fit Elways MO. He may well be ahead of the curve there. He returned to Denver at the same time the new CBA took effect, and our GM may have immediately realized what it means for GMs before his counterparts on other teams (e.g. Shanahan) caught on to it and up to him.

It's just not worth giving up MULTIPLE 1st round picks for a reach. Starting Sanchez for a year would hurt far less than losing three 1st round picks, especially when the odds say that rookie QB probably busts anyway, and even if he doesn't he's still a rookie who's liable to play so badly we'd have a good 1st round pick to spend on a franchise QB—except we WOULDN'T because 1) we already traded it away to 2) get a guy we're stuck with even though he'll NEVER be a franchise QB.

Plenty of quality QBs have gone at the end the end of the 1st round; it's pick #31, not #231. Take the Best QB Left and, in the likely event he busts, try again next year: The only way you CAN'T have a better pick is if you win the SB, and if you achieve a repeat championship you clearly don't have many big problems.

Dapper Dan
03-21-2016, 11:03 PM
Hi, Joel.

TXBRONC
03-21-2016, 11:05 PM
Both were/are super gay.

You know this how? :suspicious:

Dapper Dan
03-21-2016, 11:06 PM

Because their dicks tastes like shit. Duh.

Joel
03-21-2016, 11:15 PM
The difference is that Kaep showed more potential for a longer time. Alex Smith did less with the same team, too.
Did he? Maybe I remember it wrong, but I recall Smith doing just fine till he got hurt, but Kaep doing just as well in relief, for far less money, which made Smith expendable. They both lost an NFCCG, and we don't know what Smith would've done in the SB since SF decided to go with the hot and less expensive hand even after Smith was healthy again. All we know is that he had the NFLs 3rd highest passer rating (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Smith#2012_season) when benched due to concussion, and never regained his job.

Smith and Kaep had far better receivers in 2012 than Smith had before or since. Seriously, how many YEARS did KC go without throwing a TD to a WR? Remember Dwayne Bowe shrugging off a chance at a reception to keep the teams season alive? Each time I've watched us play Smiths Chiefs (which is eight times in four seasons) I had the same thought: Thank God their WRs keep dropping precision passes, or we'd be in trouble.

Smith has more accuracy, Kaep has more... tattoos.

Dapper Dan
03-21-2016, 11:18 PM
Did he? Maybe I remember it wrong, but I recall Smith doing just fine till he got hurt, but Kaep doing just as well in relief, for far less money, which made Smith expendable. They both lost an NFCCG, and we don't know what Smith would've done in the SB since SF decided to go with the hot and less expensive hand even after Smith was healthy again. All we know is that he had the NFLs 3rd highest passer rating (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Smith#2012_season) when benched due to concussion, and never regained his job.

Smith and Kaep had far better receivers in 2012 than Smith had before or since. Seriously, how many YEARS did KC go without throwing a TD to a WR? Remember Dwayne Bowe shrugging off a chance at a reception to keep the teams season alive? Each time I've watched us play Smiths Chiefs (which is eight times in four seasons) I had the same thought: Thank God their WRs keep dropping precision passes, or we'd be in trouble.

Smith has more accuracy, Kaep has more... tattoos.

He was 6-2-1 and had a completion percentage of over 70% the season he got replaced. They had just gone 13-3 the previous year. Smith also has 11 Tds and 1 Int in 5 playoff games, with the only Int in a 30-0 blowout of the Texans.

TXBRONC
03-21-2016, 11:21 PM
Because their dicks tastes like shit. Duh.

If you say so.

Dapper Dan
03-21-2016, 11:24 PM
If you say so.

I see you're from Odessa. Did you go to school there? Is there a big rivalry with Midland Lee? Is it like the book/movie?

TXBRONC
03-22-2016, 05:40 PM
I see you're from Odessa. Did you go to school there? Is there a big rivalry with Midland Lee? Is it like the book/movie?

Yes I graduated from Permian High School and yes Midland Lee as well as Odessa High are Permian's biggest rivals. It depends on what you mean by is like the book/movie. High football is huge out here, and Odessa sits in the middle of a desert.

Dapper Dan
03-22-2016, 05:51 PM
Yes I graduated from Permian High School and yes Midland Lee as well as Odessa High are Permian's biggest rivals. It depends on what you mean by is like the book/movie. High football is huge out here, and Odessa sits in the middle of a desert.

I read something about George W. Bush living in Midland at some point. One of the Roy Williams football players were from Odessa too.

TXBRONC
03-22-2016, 08:25 PM
I read something about George W. Bush living in Midland at some point. One of the Roy Williams football players were from Odessa too.

Yes, they lived in Midland before George H.W. Bush got into potiltics. He worked in the oil industry. Laura Bush's mother still lives in Midland. I have met her once. Roy Williams the wide receiver that drafted by the Lions played is from Odessa and went to Permian.

Dapper Dan
03-22-2016, 10:07 PM
Yes, they lived in Midland before George H.W. Bush got into potiltics. He worked in the oil industry. Laura Bush's mother still lives in Midland. I have met her once. Roy Williams the wide receiver that drafted by the Lions played is from Odessa and went to Permian.

That's awesome.

Did that Roy Williams go to Texas or Oklahoma?

Simple Jaded
03-22-2016, 10:12 PM

Because they macromade themselves a pair a jean shorts.

Dapper Dan
03-22-2016, 10:16 PM
Because they macromade themselves a pair a jean shorts.

They're called jorts.

Simple Jaded
03-22-2016, 10:30 PM
They're called jorts.

Apparently they're making a comeback.

Dapper Dan
03-22-2016, 10:39 PM
Apparently they're making a comeback.

In places like Florida, they never left.

Simple Jaded
03-22-2016, 10:42 PM
In places like Florida, they never left.

Jorts, a wife beater and a mullet. Finished off with a pair of flip flops.

Dapper Dan
03-22-2016, 10:44 PM
http://8328-presscdn-0-65.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/jeff-driskel-scooter-jorts-florida.png

Simple Jaded
03-22-2016, 10:54 PM
Jesus, where are his parents?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-22-2016, 11:05 PM
http://8328-presscdn-0-65.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/jeff-driskel-scooter-jorts-florida.png

The good Ole days, huh Dan?

Dapper Dan
03-22-2016, 11:10 PM
The good Ole days, huh Dan?

This is the great Jeff Driskel.

TXBRONC
03-23-2016, 02:26 AM
That's awesome.

Did that Roy Williams go to Texas or Oklahoma?

Texas.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-23-2016, 03:38 AM
this is the great jeff driskel.

"the"

slim
03-23-2016, 08:19 AM
Jesus, where are his parents?

His father sits on a throne in heaven, as I understand it.

Simple Jaded
03-23-2016, 05:19 PM
His father sits on a throne in heaven, as I understand it.

Does he wear jorts too?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-23-2016, 06:05 PM
Troy Renck Retweeted
Daniel Boniface ‏@danielboniface 32m

Chip Kelly says #49ers not wanting to release Colin Kaepernick. "You don't cut talent." http://dpo.st/1RlGRTv
by @troyrenck #Broncos

wayninja
03-23-2016, 06:08 PM
Troy Renck Retweeted
Daniel Boniface ‏@danielboniface 32m

Chip Kelly says #49ers not wanting to release Colin Kaepernick. "You don't cut talent." http://dpo.st/1RlGRTv
by @troyrenck #Broncos

Lol. All chip does is cut talent. Nice poker face.

Simple Jaded
03-23-2016, 06:08 PM
"You don't cut talent"?

No, apparently you trade it for some former Oregon Ducks.

TXBRONC
03-23-2016, 06:12 PM
"You don't cut talent"?

No, apparently you trade it for some former Oregon Ducks.

It's worked out really well for him.

Simple Jaded
03-23-2016, 06:19 PM
It's worked out really well for him.

I think it's his people skills at the source of his success.

TXBRONC
03-23-2016, 06:52 PM
I think it's his people skills at the source of his success.

Absolutely.

Joel
03-24-2016, 12:30 AM
This is a game of chicken SF can't win. If teams bidding on Kaep wait too long they have other options; they can sign RG III, wait for the draft, hope the Jets blink on Fitz like they're hoping SF blinks on Kaep. If SF waits too long Kaep's $12M 2016 salary becomes guaranteed and he just gets that much harder to trade to avoid a big cap hit for a guy they don't even WANT. Since everyone knows all those things, SF has very little leverage—but even that little shrinks each day they delay.

As someone raised to hate that team, this gratifies me deeply. :)

Jsteve01
03-24-2016, 08:35 AM
Chip Kelly's tenure was extremely reminiscent of McDaniels. He had a little more success because there was more talent when he arrived and he does understand x's and O's but when you have no history of success in the league, folks aren't going to buy into the dictator role.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-24-2016, 05:18 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

RGIII joins Browns as Broncos wait out Kaepernick http://www.9news.com/sports/rgiii-joins-browns-as-broncos-wait-out-kaepernick/100151161 …
via @@9NEWS

LTC Pain
03-24-2016, 06:04 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

RGIII joins Browns as Broncos wait out Kaepernick http://www.9news.com/sports/rgiii-joins-browns-as-broncos-wait-out-kaepernick/100151161 …
via @@9NEWS

Broncos interested in McCown.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/24/jets-broncos-rams-among-potential-josh-mccown-suitors/

turftoad
03-24-2016, 06:08 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/24/jets-broncos-rams-among-potential-josh-mccown-suitors/

Oh god I hope not.

spikerman
03-24-2016, 06:38 PM
More and more I'm getting the feeling that the Broncos are prepared to go into the season with Sanchez as the starter and Siemian and (insert draft pick here) as the backups.

Poet
03-24-2016, 06:42 PM
More and more I'm getting the feeling that the Broncos are prepared to go into the season with Sanchez as the starter and Siemian and (insert draft pick here) as the backups.

I honestly think that Denver will trade up in the draft. I really do.

spikerman
03-24-2016, 06:46 PM
I honestly think that Denver will trade up in the draft. I really do.

I'm inclined to agree with you which will probably be the QBOTF.

Poet
03-24-2016, 06:48 PM
I'm inclined to agree with you which will probably be the QBOTF.

We probably just jinxed Denver.

Joel
03-24-2016, 07:02 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

via @@9NEWS
There we go: Before it was us and Cleveland bidding for Kaep, with the Jets sending out feelers; now it's just us and the Jets' feelers, and one of those two is likely to go away depending on whether the Jets re-sign Fitzpatrick or give us a shot at him. If SF doesn't deal Kaep soon they'll be stuck with a white elephant.

I'm glad others feel that way, because I can't tell if I feel the same because the teams genuinely acting that way or simply because that's what I prefer they do.

Worrying about the most important single position so desperately that they stick themselves with a bad QB is a rookie mistake I doubt our HoF QB turned GM will make. We're not the Browns, and even Cleveland seems to finally realize that investing a lot of finite resources in a long shot QB usually dooms a team to continued futility. The important thing is getting THE franchise QB, not just grabbing ANY QB and hoping he doesn't bust.

We're SB Champs despite QB play our own official team site called substandard; we can afford to wait for the right QB to lead the offense for the next decade. What we can't afford is squandering the few good picks and small cap space a SB Champ has just to end up with nothing under center: We can have nothing for free.

spikerman
03-24-2016, 07:20 PM
We probably just jinxed Denver.

Well, shit.

CoachChaz
03-24-2016, 07:26 PM

Actual context of the article says the Broncos "could be interested". I think the author needed something to write after the RGIII signing and just lumped in all the QB needy teams.

Slick
03-25-2016, 07:51 AM
Are any of the QBs even worth trading up for?

Valar Morghulis
03-25-2016, 07:56 AM

I don't think so, take a second tier qb later, pick bpa in the first, second, maybe trade up to the top of the third if hack (or similar) is still there

GEM
03-25-2016, 08:42 AM
Jorts, a wife beater and a mullet. Finished off with a pair of flip flops.

You've seen Claymore? :D

Ravage!!!
03-25-2016, 09:09 AM

I was thinking BtB.

CoachChaz
03-25-2016, 10:12 AM

I would say Yes to Wentz...IF he fell past 15. None of the rest impress me enough to move up past 31. Just my amateur opinion.

turftoad
03-25-2016, 10:34 AM

Where is that sum bich?

Northman
03-25-2016, 11:31 AM
I would say Yes to Wentz...IF he fell past 15. None of the rest impress me enough to move up past 31. Just my amateur opinion.

Interesting, you dont like Goff at all?

CoachChaz
03-25-2016, 11:59 AM
Interesting, you dont like Goff at all?

In this offense? No. He doesnt throw well on the run at all. Remind us of anyone?

Plus...everyone was concerned with RGIII being slight framed and inevitably getting killed...so why not Goff? Kid is really thin and an injury waiting to happen. I would actually take Cook before Goff.

Northman
03-25-2016, 12:04 PM
In this offense? No. He doesnt throw well on the run at all. Remind us of anyone?

Plus...everyone was concerned with RGIII being slight framed and inevitably getting killed...so why not Goff? Kid is really thin and an injury waiting to happen. I would actually take Cook before Goff.

Not saying you are wrong was just curious as most have him rated pretty high.

slim
03-25-2016, 12:13 PM
Where is that sum bich?

Probably at the gay bar.

TXBRONC
03-25-2016, 12:58 PM

He's about the same size as Elway in his playing days.

NightTerror218
03-25-2016, 01:22 PM

I would take goff, wentz, or cook in first.
Lynch in 2nd.
Prescott or heck in 3rd.
Hogan with comp 3rd or 4th round.

Outside of top 3 hogan is prob my next pick for QB but willing to wait. He is probably one of the better product style system QBS so good under center.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-31-2016, 08:20 PM
KUSA - If the Denver Broncos are to get their intended target in Colin Kaepernick, they must hope the quarterback and new San Francisco 49ers head coach Chip Kelly don’t pull a John Fox-Kyle Orton and fall for each other.

Although Kaepernick’s $11.9 million salary became formally guaranteed with the 49ers following the end of the NFL’s business day Thursday, the Broncos remain interested in acquiring the quarterback. Broncos’ general manager John Elway was well aware San Francisco was not going to release Kaepernick by the time his salary was to become fully guaranteed on the start of business Friday.

There were two reasons. One, Elway understood Kaepernick has too much trade value for the 49ers to release him without getting at least a draft pick in return. Two, Kaepernick has injury protection in his contract and is currently rehabbing three surgically-repaired injuries that made his release impractical.

rest - http://www.9news.com/sports/broncos-quest-for-kaepernick-still-alive-despite-salary-guarantee/112799608

wayninja
04-01-2016, 01:13 AM
Kaepernick or Sanchez. Might as well be Fitz and Hoyer. Seriously. Bring back...

Nevermind.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2016, 12:44 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 9m

#NFL source confirms Elway has met with Kaepernick. Key to any trade is kaep agreeing to restructure deal #Broncos

turftoad
04-02-2016, 12:50 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 9m

#NFL source confirms Elway has met with Kaepernick. Key to any trade is kaep agreeing to restructure deal #Broncos

I thought they had done that. Compensation for him with the 9rs was the hold up, no?

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2016, 01:24 PM
As Colin Kaepernick's $11.9 million salary became guaranteed this week, the San Francisco 49ers' quarterback was reportedly meeting with a potential trade partner.

According to Eric Branch of the San Francisco Chronicle, Kaepernick met with Denver Broncos general manager John Elway at Elway's house on Thursday. Per Branch, it's "at least" the second time the two have met since March 15.

AND

As NFL Media Inside Ian Rapoport and Mike Silver previously reported, the Broncos are interested in acquiring Kaepernick, but would need the QB to restructure his contract. Currently, the Broncos can't fit Kaepernick's contract under their salary cap without additional maneuvers.

The quarterback has little incentive to adjust an already team-friendly contract, unless he wants out of San Francisco strongly enough to pay his way out of town.

Even if Elway and Kapernick could agree to an adjusted contract terms, the Niners and Broncos would have to find common ground in compensation. Silver reported that the Broncos value Kap at a fourth-round level. The Niners want a second-round pick.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000650041/article/report-john-elway-met-with-kaepernick-on-thursday

If article is correct, stating that they have met at least two times, I would think that means Kaepernick must be willing to adjust his contract, if the Broncos trade for him.

VonDoom
04-02-2016, 01:39 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h1 hour ago

Confirming SF Chronicle report Broncos GM John Elway met for second time with 49ers QB @Kaepernick7 on Thursday. #9news #9sports

Elway-Kaepernick meetings confirm interest but not that deal is imminent. Contract terms would still be hurdle. #9news #9news

Vic J Lombardi XXI ‏@VicLombardi 1h1 hour ago

Vic J Lombardi XXI Retweeted SFGate

Not if, but when. Gonna happen.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1h1 hour ago

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 48m48 minutes ago

Elway would be allowed to meet w Kaepernick bc it's my understanding granted permission after the QB requested trade in late February

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 32m32 minutes ago

#49ers gave Kaepernick permission to continue exploring his trade request with Elway meeting. Keeps #Broncos as likely potential destination

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 31m31 minutes ago

#Broncos GM John Elway & #49ers QB Colin Kaepernick got to know each other better, talked contract. But obstacles remain, nothing imminent

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2016, 02:31 PM
The Broncos continue to explore a potential trade for quarterback Colin Kaepnerick, who met with general manger John Elway at Elway's Denver home on Thursday, an NFL source confirmed.

The meeting was held on the day Kaepernick's $11.9 million salary for next season became guaranteed, which eliminated the possibility that the 49ers would release him; he carries a $15.9 million cap hit for next season with about $19.3 million in dead money. But the team has given Kaepernick's agents permission to seek a trade, meaning other teams are allowed to speak with him directly.

AND

Acquiring Kaepnernick, however, will take some roster maneuvering by the Broncos. Denver has only $1.62 million in salary cap space. For any deal to go through, Kaepernick would have to agree to a pay cut or restructure his contract, much like DeMarcus Ware did, by converting part of his guaranteed money to a signing bonus and adding incentives to lower his base salary.

But the Broncos would also have to clear cap room to add him. Releasing or trading offensive tackle Ryan Clady, who missed all of last season because of a torn ACL and is due $9.5 million in 2016, remains an option.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29717272/colin-kaepernick-met-john-elway-denver-broncos-still

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2016, 02:48 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 2h

#Broncos Issue wi Kaep is twofold: have to restructure his deal and bridge gap on acquisition price. No interest in moving 2nd rounder

TXBRONC
04-02-2016, 02:48 PM

Confirming SF Chronicle report Broncos GM John Elway met for second time with 49ers QB @Kaepernick7 on Thursday. #9news #9sports

Elway-Kaepernick meetings confirm interest but not that deal is imminent. Contract terms would still be hurdle. #9news #9news

Vic J Lombardi XXI Retweeted SFGate

Not if, but when. Gonna happen.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1h1 hour ago

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 48m48 minutes ago

Elway would be allowed to meet w Kaepernick bc it's my understanding granted permission after the QB requested trade in late February

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 32m32 minutes ago

#49ers gave Kaepernick permission to continue exploring his trade request with Elway meeting. Keeps #Broncos as likely potential destination

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 31m31 minutes ago

#Broncos GM John Elway & #49ers QB Colin Kaepernick got to know each other better, talked contract. But obstacles remain, nothing imminent

So Lombardi thinks a deal will happen sooner or later.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2016, 03:05 PM

Don't disagree. I actually like the Sanchez signing. A lot. But it won't be just him and two rooks. No way.

Mark Sanchez
‏@Austin_Jay49

@VicLombardi you do realize players are capable to revamp their careers given the opportunity and support correct?

Vic J Lombardi XXI ‏@VicLombardi 1h

So when you're $7-8mill starter gets hurt (most likely will), your $4-mill QB can fill in for a few games. Insurance on top of insurance.

Vic J Lombardi XXI ‏@VicLombardi 1h

They're either gonna bring in Kap or some other veteran QB. Ideally, they'd like Kap at $7-8mill. Sanchez at $4mill....

TXBRONC
04-02-2016, 03:11 PM
If Denver brings in Kaepernick I wonder how that impacts the draft stadegy?

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2016, 04:51 PM
Article posted by Adam Schefter just a few minutes ago

San Francisco and Denver have the parameters of an agreement in principle on a trade for Colin Kaepernick, sources said, but before any deal can be completed, the quarterback and the Broncos still have to agree on a restructured contract, and the two sides have not been close.

Kaepernick and the Broncos continue talking, trying to see if they can bridge their contractual differences, sources said.

Kaepernick is due to make $11.9 million in base salary this season and has a $15.9 million salary cap number for 2016. The Broncos want a much friendlier cap number and contract, and need to see whether they can get it.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/15119847/san-francisco-49ers-denver-broncos-progressing-trade-colin-kaepernick

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2016, 05:58 PM
The San Francisco 49ers have agreed to trade quarterback Colin Kaepernick to the Broncos, but the quarterback must first agree to a restructured deal with Denver, ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports.

rest - http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/04/02/colin-kaepernick-49ers-trade-denver-broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2016, 05:59 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 59m

Should Denver and Colin Kaepernick agree to a restructured contract, Broncos then expected to trade mid-round pick to SF to complete deal.

MOtorboat
04-02-2016, 06:00 PM
Well then.

AgentOrange
04-02-2016, 06:19 PM
Well then.

Exactly

DenBronx
04-02-2016, 06:57 PM
Can't stand Kap. This is just as bad as Kyle Orton.

Davii
04-02-2016, 07:04 PM
I think Kaep could be good in this offense. I guess we'll see.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-02-2016, 07:07 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1h

Working out trade comp for Kaepenick was easy part. Tougher part is convincing Kaep to take less guaranteed $. It's why trade not yet close.