PDA

View Full Version : Despite perceptions, Broncos expected this kind of start to free agency

Denver Native (Carol)
03-14-2016, 11:15 AM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Despite fans' thoughts to the contrary, the Denver Broncos got almost exactly what they expected in the opening frenzy of free agency.

They expected defensive end Malik Jackson to get the kind of offer they wouldn't match. He did, six years, $85.5 million worth from the Jacksonville Jaguars.

They expected linebacker Danny Trevathan to venture into the open market -- general manager John Elway said at the scouting combine Trevathan would be headed elsewhere. He signed a four-year deal with Chicago.

The Broncos even expected, if it came down to money, including guaranteed money, quarterback Brock Osweiler would be behind center in somebody else's offense. And he got $7 million more in guaranteed money from the Houston Texans than the Broncos were offering. Both sides, unintentional or not, then said a stony-faced goodbye as they parted ways.

Osweiler -- having just spent four years on a team that won four division titles, made two Super Bowl trips and just won Super Bowl 50 -- said the Texans gave him the “best opportunity to be successful." Elway said the Broncos wanted “players who want to be Denver Broncos and want to be here."

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/19427/broncos-re-worked-deal-with-demarcus-ware-good-news-in-free-agencys-first-week

Denver Native (Carol)
03-14-2016, 11:20 AM
The Denver Broncos were not quite as active during the first week of free agency as their former players were, losing Malik Jackson, Brock Osweiler, Danny Trevathan and possibly even C.J. Anderson during the first wave of free agent frenzy.

They did sign swing tackle Donald Stephenson and traded for quarterback Mark Sanchez. Add that to a contract restructure with DeMarcus Ware and you have quite a few changes in the available salary cap.

The Broncos started last week out with roughly $17 million in cap space, but Stephenson's deal ate up about $3.75 million, while Sanchez another $4 million. Ware's restructure recouped another $3.5 million, giving the Broncos a current cap space of $12,571,446.

Next up, will be Ryan Clady's restructure. The Broncos could use a chunk of his current $10 million deal to help bolster the roster heading into the 2016 season. So far, no significant movement has been made in those negotiations.

Of course, this could all change again today.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3/14/11219068/denver-broncos-salary-cap-update-heading-into-second-week-of-free-agency

Northman
03-14-2016, 11:23 AM
I have zero problems with the offseason so far. None of the players who have left or might leave are non-replaceable.

rjent
03-14-2016, 01:10 PM
Osweiler -- having just spent four years on a team that won four division titles, made two Super Bowl trips and just won Super Bowl 50 -- said the Texans gave him the “best opportunity to be successful." :lol: :confused:

Elway said the Broncos wanted “players who want to be Denver Broncos and want to be here."

Bravo John! :coffee:

NightTerror218
03-14-2016, 05:46 PM
I have zero problems with the offseason so far. None of the players who have left or might leave are non-replaceable.

I see them as role players.

None were leaders. Danny and Cj are great guys. Malik is a PF waiting to happen. CJ just is not a viable RB to pay top dollar. Needs to stay healthy.

olathebroncofan
03-14-2016, 06:11 PM
Malik is a PF waiting to happen.

What is PF?

Nomad
03-14-2016, 06:14 PM
What is PF?

I'm assuming personal foul.

NightTerror218
03-14-2016, 06:55 PM
I'm assuming personal foul.

That it is. Rumor on rule changes is that multiple PF could lead to ejection. Not sure how far that got but there were talks about it.

TXBRONC
03-14-2016, 07:38 PM
That it is. Rumor on rule changes is that multiple PF could lead to ejection. Not sure how far that got but there were talks about it.

I had heard second hand that Goodell was wanting to eject players who get two personal fouls in one game.

Simple Jaded
03-14-2016, 08:52 PM
What is PF?

A queef.

Lancane
03-14-2016, 09:03 PM
I had heard second hand that Goodell was wanting to eject players who get two personal fouls in one game.

True, but it will not be easy to pass. And they have to categorize the infractions by severity, no way will the NFLPA allow ejection for offenses such as holding and facemask.

Joel
03-14-2016, 10:11 PM
Holding's a PF? Won't be easy to pass regardless; unless I'm mistaken, the NFLPA only gets one vote on the Competition Committee, but the owners get 32.

Only one I'll really miss is CJ, and a lot of that's because we could've easily and relatively cheaply kept him (or at least gotten a 2nd round pick, something a team drafting DEAD LAST in all rounds could use even if we weren't in need of a QB when there's few in the draft and hadn't traded away half our natural picks last year.)

Lancane
03-14-2016, 10:44 PM
Holding's a PF? Won't be easy to pass regardless; unless I'm mistaken, the NFLPA only gets one vote on the Competition Committee, but the owners get 32.

Only one I'll really miss is CJ, and a lot of that's because we could've easily and relatively cheaply kept him (or at least gotten a 2nd round pick, something a team drafting DEAD LAST in all rounds could use even if we weren't in need of a QB when there's few in the draft and hadn't traded away half our natural picks last year.)

That may be true Joel, but the owners are not too thrilled at the idea either, not to mention that the NFLPA can be a pain in the neck, owners are going to be ultra conservative with the issue. I expect that it will pass in some form, but only for the more serious infractions.

Ziggy
03-15-2016, 03:34 AM
Elway has been the best GM in the NFL when it comes to free agency. He gets key contributors for mid level contracts every year. Vasquez, Antonio Smith, Vance Walker, Darian Stewart, Emmanuel Sanders, and a few more that I'm probably forgetting were all key contributors to winning the super bowl last season. He'll do it again this year. Stephenson will start and hopefully be this year's version of Emmanuel Sanders or Darian Stewart. There will be another one or two between now and the draft, and I wouldn't be shocked if we didn't sign Arian Foster after the draft for cheap.

I also think he hangs on to Clady until after the draft so teams don't know that he's keying in on offensive tackles. That's purely a hunch.

MOtorboat
03-15-2016, 03:55 AM

You are wrong. As usual.

The committee is made up of nine individuals. The owners do have the opportunity to vote on implementing the suggestions, but they don't have 32 votes on the committee.

Who suggested holding was a personal foul?

DenBronx
03-15-2016, 04:52 AM

Agreed. This offseason isn't sexy by any stretch but at least we are not getting into cap hell or spending wildly on unproven players. Elway knows how to find a bargain so I suspect he will wait late in the FA period.

TXBRONC
03-15-2016, 08:06 AM
Agreed. This offseason isn't sexy by any stretch but at least we are not getting into cap hell or spending wildly on unproven players. Elway knows how to find a bargain so I suspect he will wait late in the FA period.

When I read this the first thought that came to my mind is Elway is the king of the NFL's version of a garage sale.