PDA

View Full Version : Terrance Knighton would ‘more than welcome to reunite’ with Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
03-12-2016, 05:25 PM
For the second time in as many years, Terrance “Pot Roast” Knighton is a free agent and in search of his next home. And after a season away away from Denver, the defensive tackle said he’d welcome a Mile High reunion.

The Broncos have a large hole to fill on the defensive line after Malik Jackson agreed to a six-year, $90 million contract with the Jaguars. But Denver needs a defensive end, not a tackle, and a new deal with Knighton may be unlikely.

Knighton played two seasons in Denver, starting all 32 games and recording five sacks and 61 total tackles in Jack Del Rio’s 4-3. Despite hoping to return when his contract expired last March, a deal never came to fruition and Knighton signed a one-year deal with the Redskins.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2016/03/08/terrance-knighton-return-denver-broncos/38776/

Ravage!!!
03-12-2016, 05:34 PM
For the right price..yeah.

Joel
03-12-2016, 05:42 PM
I bet: That year in Washington not only cost him a Ring, but probably MILLIONS in career cash as a result. But if he means it, great; while I'm not worried about (presumably) Walker starting at DE any more than when he started there during Wolfes month-long 2015 suspension, I always want a steady NT rotation in a 3-4.

It's hard to see Potroast playing DE (even 3-4 DE) at 355 though. He's quick for his size, but in his case that's a big qualifier (no pun intended.)

Poet
03-12-2016, 05:44 PM
I bet: That year in Washington not only cost him a Ring, but probably MILLIONS in career cash as a result. But if he means it, great; while I'm not worried about (presumably) Walker starting at DE any more than when he started there during Wolfes month-long 2015 suspension, I always want a steady NT rotation in a 3-4.

It's hard to see Potroast playing DE (even 3-4 DE) at 355 though. He's quick for his size, but in his case that's a big qualifier (no pun intended.)

If he dropped ten pounds he would be around what Brett Keisel weighed. At times Ngata played 3-4 DE and he's a big boy. It would be interesting to see.

TXBRONC
03-12-2016, 05:53 PM
If he dropped ten pounds he would be around what Brett Keisel weighed. At times Ngata played 3-4 DE and he's a big boy. It would be interesting to see.

You're saying Brett Keisel weighed 345lbs?

Poet
03-12-2016, 06:10 PM
You're saying Brett Keisel weighed 345lbs?

I had him confused with another Pitt DL. I was thinking of Hampton, who was a NT. I done derped.

Jsteve01
03-12-2016, 06:18 PM
Sly could play DE and kilgo and potroast rotate at nose

Joel
03-12-2016, 06:37 PM
Sly could play DE and kilgo and potroast rotate at nose
A viable option, yeah; this time last year I wondered whether Sly was big ENOUGH to be a starting 3-4 NT (wonder no more.) I'd certainly like Sly better than Potroast at DE, but playing a complementary position his whole CAREER except for a SINGLE year anchoring wouldn't be much return for investing a 1st round pick. We've got our club option, but Sly won't stick around long for that any more than Webster will accept backup/ST money/roles the rest of his career.

A big part of me shares Marshalls frustration with Elway delaying extensions till the last minute (just for very different reasons.)

I fear it would mainly be ponderous to see. :tongue: Porkchop's got 20 lbs. on Ngata, who's a much better NT than DE. Maybe it would work if Knighton's open to 3-4 DE money (and I don't mean Watt money.) He IS a quick guy, and was essentially an UT in our 4-3 before NE* dislocated Vickersons hip (the same injury, ironically, that promoted rookie 1st rounder Sylvester Williams to the starting lineup: When Knighton moved over, someone had to take his old starting spot.)

From a purely athletic perspective, I'd still rather have Knighton at NT and Sly at DE: Why worry your NT's too small and DE too big when you can eliminate both worries by swapping them, and be confident both can play their new roles?

NightTerror218
03-12-2016, 06:46 PM
He won't want to be back up Sly and for back up money.

DenBronx
03-12-2016, 07:17 PM
Read a recent report that said he might be signable at less than 2 mill a year. I'd like him back in Denver and think we could get him at a bargain.

Joel
03-12-2016, 07:42 PM
Read a recent report that said he might be signable at less than 2 mill a year. I'd like him back in Denver and think we could get him at a bargain.
If true, we should be all over that: Get him under a multi-year contract for that laughably low number, THEN figure out where to fit him into the starting lineup later.

Cugel
03-12-2016, 08:04 PM
I don't believe they want Pot roast back. According to Alfred Williams he "ate his way out of a contract."

The Wade Phillips defense needs guys who are fast penetrating DL, not a huge space eating guy who occupies blockers. If you can't penetrate and get upfield in this defense you can't play here. Pot roast was more of an immovable object than a pass-rush threat. His weight made him run out of gas in the 4th quarters of games, while Denver's defense prided itself on having the exact same intensity in the last 2 minutes of games that they had in the 1st quarter.

Unless he got a lot slimmer and they were convinced he'd keep off the weight, I don't think Wade Phillips wants him back. It wasn't just a question of money.

TXBRONC
03-12-2016, 08:22 PM
I had him confused with another Pitt DL. I was thinking of Hampton, who was a NT. I done derped.

That makes sense.

TXBRONC
03-12-2016, 08:25 PM
I don't believe they want Pot roast back. According to Alfred Williams he "ate his way out of a contract."

The Wade Phillips defense needs guys who are fast penetrating DL, not a huge space eating guy who occupies blockers. If you can't penetrate and get upfield in this defense you can't play here. Pot roast was more of an immovable object than a pass-rush threat. His weight made him run out of gas in the 4th quarters of games, while Denver's defense prided itself on having the exact same intensity in the last 2 minutes of games that they had in the 1st quarter.

Unless he got a lot slimmer and they were convinced he'd keep off the weight, I don't think Wade Phillips wants him back. It wasn't just a question of money.

Phillips has said he tries fit the defense around the player. Phillips would find a way to make good use of him but I agree with you I don't think they want him back.

Cugel
03-12-2016, 08:41 PM
Phillips has said he tries fit the defense around the player. Phillips would find a way to make good use of him but I agree with you I don't think they want him back.

I don't think they negotiated at all for him or made any offers when he became a FA. Just like with Danny Trevathan this year, they just let him walk with no offers at all (they liked Trevathan but he couldn't stay healthy). I don't think Elway has changed him mind about Pot Roast.

When they don't want you, they don't want you. Pot Roast was always a fan favourite, but when the GM doesn't want you. . . .

TXBRONC
03-12-2016, 08:51 PM
I don't think they negotiated at all for him or made any offers when he became a FA. Just like with Danny Trevathan this year, they just let him walk with no offers at all (they liked Trevathan but he couldn't stay healthy). I don't think Elway has changed him mind about Pot Roast.

When they don't want you, they don't want you. Pot Roast was always a fan favourite, but when the GM doesn't want you. . . .

I remember they let Knighton because he was going to command a huge salary. Trevathan had health issues 2014 but prior to and then this past he was healthy.

Cugel
03-12-2016, 08:53 PM
I remember they let Knighton because he was going to command a huge salary. Trevathan had health issues 2014 but prior to and then this past he was healthy.

He did command a big salary once he became a FA. But, like a lot of other FAs they could have negotiated a new deal before that - they way they did with Chris Harris or Derek Wolfe. Pot Roast wanted to come back too. He wanted to negotiate a new contract, but the team didn't even try.

TXBRONC
03-12-2016, 09:01 PM
He did command a big salary once he became a FA. But, like a lot of other FAs they could have negotiated a new deal before that - they way they did with Chris Harris or Derek Wolfe. Pot Roast wanted to come back too. He wanted to negotiate a new contract, but the team didn't even try.

Knighton knew he was headed for a big payday so I don't Elway would have been able to get a new contract in place before the old expired.

LTC Pain
03-12-2016, 10:33 PM
I'd take Potroast back at a very, very team friendly deal. But, not certain Elway wants him back with the weight control issues. Or if we have the cap to sign him.

Joel
03-12-2016, 11:00 PM

Sly's not a penetrator; Knighton had more sacks as one of a PAIR of DTs than he did as a SOLO DT. But Sly did his job (which wasn't impersonating Watt) well.

EVERY 3-4 needs a space-eater in the middle, collapsing pockets so QB can't step up and away from edge rushers, and forcing RBs to go around him into DEs and LBs instead of OVER him for big gains. We tried that all-penetrator thing on 3rd and 1 against an elite RB this year: 50 yd TD run up the gut. No, thanks.

Hawgdriver
03-13-2016, 01:36 PM
Pot Roast would fit this defense. Wade could use him. He'd be at home. Depends on the price and his willingness to compete.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-13-2016, 01:46 PM
Pot Roast would fit this defense. Wade could use him. He'd be at home. Depends on the price and his willingness to compete.

Agreed

Poet
03-13-2016, 01:47 PM
Agreed

I wish I had a cool nickname like Pot Roast

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-13-2016, 01:48 PM

I dub the chubby bunny.

Poet
03-13-2016, 02:00 PM
I dub the chubby bunny.

If I ever meet you in real life I will beat shit down your leg. :D

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-13-2016, 02:21 PM
If I ever meet you in real life I will beat shit down your leg. :D

Haha :D

NightTerror218
03-13-2016, 02:40 PM
Sly's not a penetrator; Knighton had more sacks as one of a PAIR of DTs than he did as a SOLO DT. But Sly did his job (which wasn't impersonating Watt) well.

EVERY 3-4 needs a space-eater in the middle, collapsing pockets so QB can't step up and away from edge rushers, and forcing RBs to go around him into DEs and LBs instead of OVER him for big gains. We tried that all-penetrator thing on 3rd and 1 against an elite RB this year: 50 yd TD run up the gut. No, thanks.

SB champs #1 defense in NFL and #3 against the run. Sly was awesome.

TXBRONC
03-13-2016, 05:06 PM

Ham Hock.

TXBRONC
03-13-2016, 05:07 PM

Phillips would figure out a way.

DenBronx
03-13-2016, 05:31 PM
Agreed

Maybe you should go by King87 or something like that?

Poet
03-13-2016, 05:41 PM
Maybe you should go by King87 or something like that?

I think I'm going to change my name to 78ginK

Joel
03-14-2016, 01:56 AM
SB champs #1 defense in NFL and #3 against the run. Sly was awesome.
Yup; I'm happy to say my doubts a 315 guy could be a 3-4s immovable object against the run and unstoppable force against the pass were baseless.

He was rarely a "fast penetrating DL" who "[got] upfield" though: That wasn't his job, so doing it would've been NOT doing his job. Maybe he COULD do it as a starting 3-4 DE; he spent two years effectively playing UT to Potroasts NT in Del Rios 4-3. It's kind of a second tier job for a 1st round pick though, and finishing his rookie contract that way after spending the first two years playing second fiddle to Potroast before getting the spotlight... eerily reminiscent of the Manning/Oz dynamic.

I dunno. I know Sly and Knighton are both solid difference makers, and if Knighton's really willing to play for $2M/yr that's a bargain for a difference maker.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-28-2016, 10:29 AM
Troy Renck Retweeted
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2h

#Patriots knew Friday that Nick Fairley was headed to NO, so they secured Terrance Knighton's visit today. But #Redskins want him back, too.

Cugel
03-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Knighton knew he was headed for a big payday so I don't Elway would have been able to get a new contract in place before the old expired.

“Last year obviously my heart was in Denver,” he said. “I wanted to stay there. I got a little emotional about it and you try not to take things personal It’s a business at the end of the day, but you get attached to teams, the town that you’re in, the city that you’re in, the fans. Terence Knighton

This is the classic case of the lover spurned. He wanted to stay. He would have gladly re-negotiated. He still wants to be in Denver, even though he knows it won't happen " “I’d be more than welcome to reunite with John Elway and the Denver Broncos.”

The Broncos didn't want him back because he couldn't keep to what the team felt was an acceptable playing weight. That hasn't changed. He's like the ex-girlfriend who goes on your facebook page and says she'd still like to get back together. She trashed you after you broke up, but now she wants to get back together. That's Knighton all over.

I'd like to see it, as would most fans, but not Elway.

Ziggy
03-28-2016, 11:20 AM
This is the classic case of the lover spurned. He wanted to stay. He would have gladly re-negotiated. He still wants to be in Denver, even though he knows it won't happen " “I’d be more than welcome to reunite with John Elway and the Denver Broncos.”

The Broncos didn't want him back because he couldn't keep to what the team felt was an acceptable playing weight. That hasn't changed. He's like the ex-girlfriend who goes on your facebook page and says she'd still like to get back together. She trashed you after you broke up, but now she wants to get back together. That's Knighton all over.

I'd like to see it, as would most fans, but not Elway.

Or......Elway doesn't see him as a good fit here in Denver. Whether it be in the locker room or in the system, but what would Elway know?

Northman
03-28-2016, 11:23 AM
I might get flamed but i dont want Knighton back personally.

Cugel
03-28-2016, 11:36 AM
Or......Elway doesn't see him as a good fit here in Denver. Whether it be in the locker room or in the system, but what would Elway know?

I'm not attacking Elway for not wanting Pot Roast back. I'd just like to see it. Elway probably doesn't see him as a good fit. I've already stated that I doubt very much he's coming back. The Redskins reportedly want him back and he's got other teams interested as well. He said he's going to let his agent handle all the negotiations, which means he's going to take the best contract offer. And that won't be the Broncos in any case.

When I read that I said "zero chance he comes back here."

Denver Native (Carol)
03-28-2016, 11:40 AM
The Patriots were sniffing around Nick Fairley a bit, and when he signed with the Saints, they moved quickly to line up an option.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the Patriots are bringing in Washington defensive tackle Terrance Knighton for a visit today.

Knighton is a different type of big man than Fairley, lacking the kind of pass-rush pop Fairely has shown at times. He has just 14.0 sacks in seven seasons, including stints with the Jaguars and Broncos.

But he’s a reliable run-stopper, and the Patriots could use some depth in the middle of the line.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/28/patriots-having-pot-roast-for-lunch-visiting-with-terrance-knighton/

He does not have very good stats, so exactly who would he replace on the Broncos?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-28-2016, 11:42 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/28/patriots-having-pot-roast-for-lunch-visiting-with-terrance-knighton/

He does not have very good stats, so exactly who would he replace on the Broncos?

They could move sly to de in the base formation, which would make Pot Roast a 2 down run stuffer.

TXBRONC
03-28-2016, 01:22 PM

Phillips says he can fit his system to any player so I don't think it's the system.

Timmy!
03-28-2016, 01:28 PM
He played less than 50% of defensive plays his last year here. Pass.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-28-2016, 01:45 PM
He played less than 50% of defensive plays his last year here. Pass.
If we could get him for under 2 million per it would be worth it, imo.

Northman
03-28-2016, 01:50 PM
We will be fine at DT, i have no idea why people are freaking out about that position.

Ziggy
03-28-2016, 01:54 PM
Elway got rid of the guys that had locker room issues and didn't go down kicking and screaming. I'm not saying Pot Roast is one of them, but the fact that Elway didn't even attempt to re-sign him last season says a lot.

Ziggy
03-28-2016, 01:56 PM
Phillips says he can fit his system to any player so I don't think it's the system.

I don't either. That's why the Broncos signed Phil Taylor. He's basically a younger version of Pot Roast.

underrated29
03-28-2016, 01:57 PM
Elway got rid of the guys that had locker room issues and didn't go down kicking and screaming. I'm not saying Pot Roast is one of them, but the fact that Elway didn't even attempt to re-sign him last season says a lot.

I dont remember it that way.

I remember pot roast played the same game DRC did and lost. That is, he wanted 5 mil for his contract and Elway offered 1 or 2 iirc. He balked and Elway pulled the offer. He got paid in washington for about what he would have here. I do not believe it has anything to do with system or Locker Room. I just think he thought he could call Elways bluff, john only takes negotiations so far before he pulls the plug and that is the end of it.

Northman
03-28-2016, 02:53 PM

Yea, i think they gave a fair offer and Terrance declined and moved on. But Elway didnt try that hard to resign him and there was a reason for that.

NightTerror218
03-28-2016, 03:05 PM
Lmao. Why people think we should move players from natural starting positions to new positions is funny. Comes up in every thread about a guy who is good/decent released means oh add him and move a starter over because he must be just as good there.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-28-2016, 11:20 PM
Lmao. Why people think we should move players from natural starting positions to new positions is funny. Comes up in every thread about a guy who is good/decent released means oh add him and move a starter over because he must be just as good there.

You don't think Sly could play the 4 tech? I think he'd be better than anyone else on the roster not named Wolfe.

Poet
03-28-2016, 11:25 PM
You don't think Sly could play the 4 tech? I think he'd be better than anyone else on the roster not named Wolfe.

Depending on the cost, having a talent like him would have to be worth it. Just for sake of thought, there were times when the older Ravens defense (mid 2000's) would switch to the 4-3 out of the 3-4; the personnel was so strong on that team that they often could do it without a ton of subs coming in and out, too. I wonder if, and assuming he was cheap enough, that would have value. Ware primarily played 4-3 DE for his career, Von has had decent sacks out of DE, too. I remember the breakdowns of his sacks under Del Rio and how he would line up there from time to time.

DenBronx
03-29-2016, 03:12 AM

Well....all we have to do is move Champ Bailey to safety.

TXBRONC
03-29-2016, 06:57 AM

He probably could play a four technique but why move Williams? If Elway were inclinded to sign him I could see him rotating in at nose tackle and maybe there is package or two that he play in. Williams was fantastic at noe tackle, and if Knighton is only getting in on about 40 snaps per game I don't think we would want him as a starter.

Simple Jaded
03-30-2016, 09:49 PM
Potroast not be much articulate.

TXBRONC
03-30-2016, 10:32 PM
Potroast not be much articulate.

It's hard to talk when you're eating.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-31-2016, 12:00 AM
He probably could play a four technique but why move Williams? If Elway were inclinded to sign him I could see him rotating in at nose tackle and maybe there is package or two that he play in. Williams was fantastic at noe tackle, and if Knighton is only getting in on about 40 snaps per game I don't think we would want him as a starter.

Isn't that what they did when Rio was in town (Sly at 4 tech, Terrance at NG)?
Sly was decent last year, but it's not like he was dominant. I'm only suggesting the depth at NT might not be a bad thing, and right now Sly might be the 2nd best 4 to 5 tech we have on the roster.

Jsteve01
03-31-2016, 08:31 AM
Well....all we have to do is move Champ Bailey to safety.

I'll still say it. He could have extended his career by three years. No you don't do it when he is still solid at corner but there are a ton of former corners who extended their careers by making the switch. The Woodson's come to mind.

TXBRONC
03-31-2016, 09:19 AM
Isn't that what they did when Rio was in town (Sly at 4 tech, Terrance at NG)?
Sly was decent last year, but it's not like he was dominant. I'm only suggesting the depth at NT might not be a bad thing, and right now Sly might be the 2nd best 4 to 5 tech we have on the roster.

I don't remember for sure, but you are probably right as to where he played in Del Taco's defense. As depth sure, if that's what Elway wants. I was under impression that you suggesting Knighton should start at nose tackle while Williams gets moved out to defensive end. If Knighton can only handle 40 snaps per game then he's not going do us much good as starter. I thought was better than just descent. Teams had as much running between the tackles as they did trying to go ourtside and lot of that has be credited to Williams.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-31-2016, 08:40 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 3h

Patriots are giving DT Terrance Knighton a one-year, $4.5 million deal. Some pricey Pot Roast.

DenBronx
03-31-2016, 09:40 PM
He got alot more than I was expecting him to get.

The Glue Factory
04-01-2016, 01:52 PM

Patriots are giving DT Terrance Knighton a one-year, $4.5 million deal. Some pricey Pot Roast.

Maybe they'll convert him to center so Brady doesn't get knocked on his can so much? :confused: :laugh:

TXBRONC
04-01-2016, 01:59 PM
Maybe they'll convert him to center so Brady doesn't get knocked on his can so much? :confused: :laugh:

That's a butt fumble just waiting to happen.

PatriotsGuy
04-06-2016, 08:19 AM

https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/717676729066733569

Valar Morghulis
04-06-2016, 11:33 AM
https://twitter.com/MikeReiss/status/717676729066733569

Nice deal