PDA

View Full Version : Mark Sanchez to Broncos

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

Simple Jaded
03-18-2016, 04:26 PM
**** gimme a break, Cugel never liked Osweiler, he used to enjoy telling his supporters how they were wasting they're time and energy. Now he's bent cause Denver refused to make him a Top 10 highest paid QB after 7 starts?

weazel
03-18-2016, 04:41 PM
I think we'd be better served modifying the filter to blank the offender out.

Davii is a wise man

dogfish
03-18-2016, 04:41 PM
Right. Because my only options are to be a blind homer or support some other team?

Because BroncoJoe, hath spoken?

As he hath said, so let it be written! :rolleyes:

joe is kind of a big deal. . .

Northman
03-18-2016, 04:42 PM
**** gimme a break, Cugel never liked Osweiler, he used to enjoy telling his supporters how they were wasting they're time and energy. Now he's bent cause Denver refused to make him a Top 10 highest paid QB after 7 starts?

Yea i was thinking about that today reading this thread. Three years ago Cugel spent so much time telling everyone how Brock sucked and Elway would let him walk because a team was going to pay him Matt Flynn money. Now, he is changing his tune and thinking Brock is awesome and should of been overpaid. Methinks Cugel just likes to argue for the sake of arguing. lol

ShaneFalco
03-18-2016, 04:48 PM
So, we're down to make excuses for the Butt-fumbler now?

I can't whip up any enthusiasm for Mark Sanchez, but we'll have to wait for the regular season to see for sure.

What I do know for sure is that Broncos fans are going to be sitting in the stadium on Sundays this season watching Sanchez play, and checking their cell-phones ever quarter to get updates from Houston Texans games to see what Brock Osweiler is doing for the Texans.

If Osweiler sucks and his team loses, "and there was much rejoicing."

If plays well and leads the Texans into the playoffs, especially if he beats the Broncos there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

my spam cant save you now. You are own your own

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_78wgd5ujqrc/SpYjyTCYNvI/AAAAAAAAJJY/TJ5MSTo5kQQ/s400/SanchezCARTERSMITH4GQ1.jpg

Simple Jaded
03-18-2016, 11:54 PM
Yea i was thinking about that today reading this thread. Three years ago Cugel spent so much time telling everyone how Brock sucked and Elway would let him walk because a team was going to pay him Matt Flynn money. Now, he is changing his tune and thinking Brock is awesome and should of been overpaid. Methinks Cugel just likes to argue for the sake of arguing. lol

When Osweiler was drafted Cugel was one of those saying that he was drafted because he's Jr's BFF, iirc, I do remember him telling anybody that would like to see him finally play was stupid.

Ravage!!!
03-19-2016, 01:16 PM
When Osweiler was drafted Cugel was one of those saying that he was drafted because he's Jr's BFF, iirc, I do remember him telling anybody that would like to see him finally play was stupid.

Joel was the one saying that the only reason Elway drafted Os was because he was Jr's friend. Elway doesn't know how to separate business from personal, ya know. Joel cried over and over about that.

Cugal said that Elway showed his hand on how bad he thought Brock was by not putting him in the lineup and by not extending his contract.

Cugel
03-19-2016, 01:38 PM

Completely totally wrong! I said back in 2012 said Elway made a mistake using his 2nd round draft pick on Osweiler because Manning was going to play for 4 or 5 years. Everybody mocked me and said "maybe 2 seasons tops." Turns out I was right there because Manning played throughout Osweiler's entire 4 year contract.

As for saying I criticized Elway for not paying Osweiler $72 M that's just plain stupid. That would be crazy. He's NOT worth $72M after 7 starts and no way should Elway have matched the Texans offer. In fact, even if he had offered to match the $18M a year offer, the Texans would just have offered more - as their owner confirmed. So it would have cost MORE than $72 M and who knows how much? $19M a year? $20M? How insanely high would they go when their owner said "we were determined to do whatever it took to get the deal done?"

I criticized Elway for not locking up Osweiler back in July 2015 when he could have re-signed him for a backup QB salary because Osweiler had never started a game in the NFL and would only be worth backup money at that point. Nor was there any reason to believe that he would start in 2015 since Manning had never missed a start in his 17 year NFL career except for 2011 when he had the neck surgeries. And if he hadn't ever started he wouldn't be worth starter money to anybody.

I got criticized endlessly by incredibly stupid and ignorant people who insisted he wouldn't have signed. If he had refused and Manning had NOT got hurt he would have LOST money rather than gained any by becoming a UFA.

$5M in 2015 + $6M in 2016 = $11M guaranteed in 2015 is better than $1M and who knows what? $7 or maybe $8M in 2016, because he had no experience in the NFL.

As an example of what backup QBs get: Chase Daniel: Chase Daniel signed a 3 year, $21,000,000 contract with the Philadelphia Eagles, including a $6,000,000 signing bonus, $12,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $7,000,000. In 2016, Daniel will earn a base salary of $1,000,000, a signing bonus of $3,000,000 and a roster bonus of $3,000,000. Daniel has a cap hit of $5,000,000 while his dead money value is $12,000,000.

$5M in 2016 & $7M in 2016. $12M guaranteed. Almost exactly what I said Brock would have gotten, because that's what NFL experts were saying back in July 2015 he was worth.

Now all the experts like Troy Renk the Broncos Insider are saying the same thing I've been saying and getting pointlessly attacked for - Elway's mistake was in waiting too long to make Osweiler an offer.

They should have locked him up for 2016 for a lower amount so they could evaluate him for a year and see if they really wanted to commit $64M to him and not offered him $30M guaranteed on the basis of 7 games.

They waited until too late to make their offer. By the time they tried to negotiate the season was done and he was almost a FA. TOO LATE!

Cugel
03-19-2016, 01:46 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Jaded View Post

Wrong again. I said, and it's true, that the reason he drafted Osweiler ahead of his favorite QB in that draft, Brandon Weeden, was because Osweiler was only 21 and Weeden was about 26 and by the time Manning retired he'd be too old. (Also too sucky it turned out).

It's been widely reported that Elway became interested in Osweiler after his son became friends with him. But, they would still have looked at all his tape before drafting him of course and would have to be convinced that he would work out.

I got in endless arguments with people who insisted that Peyton Manning was only going to play for 1 or 2 seasons. I said he'd play 4 or 5. In October 2014 he said "of course" he intended to play out his contract - through 2016. Then he got hurt. And hurt again in 2015 and things changed including being forced into the Kubiak system which he didn't like.

Yet he still almost came back for another season despite knowing the Broncos were going to release rather than pay him. If he hadn't been injured so much and struggled in the system he might very well have come back for his last season.

Timmy!
03-19-2016, 01:50 PM
So now we are back to the narrative that Brock would have magically resigned for backup QB money a year ago even though he was going to be a free agent, even though that has been completely shot to hell. Holy shit man. :tsk:

#rapshect

Cugel
03-19-2016, 01:50 PM
Osweiler would simply have been the best option for 2016, while they still have DeMarcus Ware playing in his last NFL season. The defense will never be as good after he retires next year.

That's all. And only if Brock's salary were reasonable - which $18M a year is not. I still think he's not a top 10 QB and never will be. I could be wrong but that's what I think.

Cugel
03-19-2016, 01:54 PM
So now we are back to the narrative that Brock would have magically resigned for backup QB money a year ago even though he was going to be a free agent, even though that has been completely shot to hell. Holy shit man. :tsk:

#rapshect

Exactly right because it's true and has been stated by numerous NFL experts.

Almost NO player wants to wait and play out their entire contract. What if they get hurt and their value declines radically? What if the market isn't as good as they think? What if they just get into a couple of games and don't play well and their market value plummets?

No way in HELL Osweiler or any other player would want to take that risk, when they could LOSE money instead of getting a big signing bonus.

You act like he had a crystal ball and could see "OK, Peyton is going to get hurt and miss 7 games for the first time in 4 years he's missed a game, and I'm going to play well enough so I get a huge pay-day, and I don't want to return to the Broncos so I won't take their perfectly reasonable offer and get $5M right now instead of $1M for 2015. OK."

Osweiler's agent went on 104.3 The Fan and said the Broncos only made an offer when Osweiler was about to become a FA. That was too late. At that point he only had a short time to wait. There was NO offer made in July 2015!

NOBODY predicted the stuff that happened. That's why Elway didn't make the offer in 2015. He thought he could low-ball Osweiler and there was no hurry. He could make an offer in January 2016 and Osweiler would have no better offer. It took a bunch of crazy circumstances to make Osweiler a $72M QB.

But you don't take that risk. That's what Elway did wrong.

You really think Osweiler was predicting he was going to get a huge contract back in July 2015? When nobody in the NFL would have given him starter money? You should listen to yourself. Cause what you said makes no sense at all.

Simple Jaded
03-19-2016, 02:00 PM
Tldr

Timmy!
03-19-2016, 02:17 PM
:lol:

Why would any QB, picked in the 2nd round, after sitting for 3 years, knowing that the QB ahead of you is non his last legs, extend your contract for peanuts when you are going to be a highly sought after FA even if you DONT get any playing time? He was going to get paid "starter money" regardless dipshit, take a look around the league. His agent would have laughed hysterically at a cheap offer from Denver a year ago, and rightfully so. Not to mention money clearly doesn't matter to Oz right? This has been spelled out for you, by many different posters. Earth to numbnuts, just because Denver didn't make an offer doesn't mean in any way shape or form Oz would have accepted it, but feel free to spin spin spin like you always do.

Poet
03-19-2016, 02:35 PM

Why would any QB, picked in the 2nd round, after sitting for 3 years, knowing that the QB ahead of you is non his last legs, extend your contract for peanuts when you are going to be a highly sought after FA even if you DONT get any playing time? He was going to get paid "starter money" regardless dipshit, take a look around the league. His agent would have laughed hysterically at a cheap offer from Denver a year ago, and rightfully so. Not to mention money clearly doesn't matter to Oz right? This has been spelled out for you, by many different posters. Earth to numbnuts, just because Denver didn't make an offer doesn't mean in any way shape or form Oz would have accepted it, but feel free to spin spin spin like you always do.

Even when Kirk Cousins was barely proven, his trade worth was around a first round pick or two second rounders. I'm not sure what that 'worth' would translate into via salary, but it would be a hefty sum. Point being if you have talent, and you haven't tanked, teams will give you a lot of money. FFS, Tyrod Taylor is currently a viable starter in the NFL.

TXBRONC
03-19-2016, 03:09 PM
Wrong again. I said, and it's true, that the reason he drafted Osweiler ahead of his favorite QB in that draft, Brandon Weeden, was because Osweiler was only 21 and Weeden was about 26 and by the time Manning retired he'd be too old. (Also too sucky it turned out).

It's been widely reported that Elway became interested in Osweiler after his son became friends with him. But, they would still have looked at all his tape before drafting him of course and would have to be convinced that he would work out.

I got in endless arguments with people who insisted that Peyton Manning was only going to play for 1 or 2 seasons. I said he'd play 4 or 5. In October 2014 he said "of course" he intended to play out his contract - through 2016. Then he got hurt. And hurt again in 2015 and things changed including being forced into the Kubiak system which he didn't like.

Yet he still almost came back for another season despite knowing the Broncos were going to release rather than pay him. If he hadn't been injured so much and struggled in the system he might very well have come back for his last season.

Where do you get the idea that Elway liked Weedon? I don't recall Elway ever saying anything abou liking Weedon at any time. You also insisted for the four years that Osweiler sat on the bench that Elway didn't really care for Osweiler and couldn't wait to get rid of him One of the reasons you gave for Elway not liking Osweiler was the fact he wasn't playing, and that just doesn't make much sense to me especially when the guy ahead of him was Manning.

I don't remember you getting into endless arguments about how long Manning would play but I do know that most people thought he would play about four more years. As far as the reports about Manning considering a return for 2016 it doesn't matter because I think it would been with Broncos.

Davii
03-19-2016, 03:42 PM
Elway is so dumb. We could've signed Osweiler for $1.25 and a cup of coffee if we locked him up when he was in Junior High. All the experts agree. Dummy John!

Denver Native (Carol)
03-19-2016, 04:00 PM
Here are the 10 highest paid quarterbacks in 2015, all who played many more than 7 games as a starter - I really think the Broncos offered crybaby a more than fair contract.

http://www.ibtimes.com/10-highest-paid-quarterbacks-2015-nfl-season-1951071

Nomad
03-19-2016, 04:08 PM
Elway is so dumb. We could've signed Osweiler for $1.25 and a cup of coffee if we locked him up when he was in Junior High. All the experts agree. Dummy John!

Yep! Can't believe we have a mental midget as a GM.......damn these Championships.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-19-2016, 04:19 PM
KUSA - Those ornate hallways were made for talking.

The Denver Broncos contingent of Joe Ellis, John Elway and Gary Kubiak fly out Saturday for the NFL owners meetings that will be held at the Boca Raton Resort in Boca Raton, Florida.
Reporters hiding behind plants will hope to catch Elway, the Broncos’ general manager, running into San Francisco 49ers’ colleague Trent Baalke.

Elway and Baalke have formed a friendship at these owners meetings in recent years. It’s how the Broncos and 49ers wound up practicing against each other last summer.

This time, Elway and Baalke have more important business to discuss: Colin Kaepernick. The talented if too often inaccurate passing quarterback is coming off two terrific seasons and two disappointing seasons, in that order, with the 49ers.

Kaepernick was spotted by several traveling tipsters Friday night arriving at the Denver International Airport. Don’t get too worked up. Kaepernick has been rehabbing a variety of surgically repaired injuries – a torn left labrum, torn ligaments in his right thumb and a left knee scope – at the Steadman Sports Clinic in Vail. None of those injuries are expected to prevent him from participating in the organized team activities (OTAs) that begin in late-May.

rest - http://www.9news.com/sports/broncos-kaepernick-to-be-hot-topics-at-nfl-meetings-this-week/90786570

Nomad
03-19-2016, 04:22 PM
Carol.....I haven't been following the BRONCOS news lately, but are the BRONCOS still considering Kapernick?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-19-2016, 04:49 PM
Carol.....I haven't been following the BRONCOS news lately, but are the BRONCOS still considering Kapernick?

I have not heard/read that directly from the Broncos, but there are all kinds of articles out there saying they are, or saying the 49ers want a higher pick than the Broncos have offered. Who knows.

Simple Jaded
03-19-2016, 11:37 PM

Folks speculating that Kaepernick is still the end game but Denver is "slow playing" it, they don't wanna go higher than a 4th.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-24-2016, 01:32 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 57m

Josh McCown, who is making $4.38M this yr, is now on speculative list of possible Broncos QBs to compete with Mark Sanchez. #9news #9sports

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

There may have been reports suggesting otherwise but John Elway did not want RGIII. #9news #9sports

NightTerror218
03-24-2016, 01:43 PM
I like how anytime there is a QB signing or release a new QB must be a target of broncos.

BroncoJoe
03-24-2016, 01:45 PM
I like how anytime there is a QB signing or release a new QB must be a target of broncos.

Kind of goes with the territory when you lose both your QB's.

wayninja
03-24-2016, 02:29 PM
Well, it'll be interesting to see how well Siemian is able to lead the team down the stretch.

Ravage!!!
03-24-2016, 04:24 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 57m

Josh McCown, who is making $4.38M this yr, is now on speculative list of possible Broncos QBs to compete with Mark Sanchez. #9news #9sports

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 1h

There may have been reports suggesting otherwise but John Elway did not want RGIII. #9news #9sports

Good to hear John didn't want RGIII, but I think the only people thinking McCown is a possibility are those that are simply trying to figure out if McCown sticks with Cleveland now. I can't see the Broncos making a move for him , at all, as he wouldn't provide anything that we don't already have.

Ravage!!!
03-24-2016, 04:24 PM
Well, it'll be interesting to see how well Siemian is able to lead the team down the stretch.

Siemian? He'll never get on the field.

weazel
03-24-2016, 04:37 PM
Booger Sanchez will lead us to another Lombardi

tomjonesrocks
03-26-2016, 09:52 AM
Saw this this morning.

TJ Ward can't hold back uproarious laughter discussing the Sanchez signing:
https://www.nfl.com/now/10103061-7033-0000-0064-6698c610e842?campaign=social-share

He's...uh...got some experience in this league BAHAHAHA...

silkamilkamonico
03-26-2016, 10:00 AM
Sign Fitzpatrick already. If that clown can win 10 games with the Jets, and we want to think we're a better organization than the Jets, he'd probably win 11-12 with the Broncos.

#buttfumble?

TXBRONC
03-26-2016, 10:10 AM
Sign Fitzpatrick already. If that clown can win 10 games with the Jets, and we want to think we're a better organization than the Jets, he'd probably win 11-12 with the Broncos.

#buttfumble?

Elway knows what he's doing.

#worldchamps

silkamilkamonico
03-26-2016, 10:12 AM
Elway knows what he's doing.

#worldchamps

Yes - we will just see if it takes him another 4 years or another 1 year.

TXBRONC
03-26-2016, 10:22 AM

So if the Broncos don't repeat or at least do win another title in less than four years he doesn't know what he's doing?

Ravage!!!
03-26-2016, 10:23 AM

Four years a lot to you, is it?

wayninja
03-26-2016, 10:24 AM

Even if 4, wouldn't 3 appearances and 2 wins in 8 years make him one of the best GM's of all time?

Honestly, I can't tell if this is a serious knock...

Northman
03-26-2016, 10:25 AM

Would it really matter if it took another 4 years?

Northman
03-26-2016, 10:26 AM
Even if 4, wouldn't 3 appearances and 2 wins in 8 years make him one of the best GM's of all time?

Same here. I mean 4 years is better than 15. *Shrugs*

TXBRONC
03-26-2016, 10:30 AM
Same here. I mean 4 years is better than 15. *Shrugs*

I'll take that over the four plus decades since the Chiefs won the Super Bowl.

TXBRONC
03-26-2016, 10:31 AM

I think Silk is being serious.

silkamilkamonico
03-26-2016, 10:35 AM

As opposed to 1 season? Yea I'd say so.

silkamilkamonico
03-26-2016, 10:36 AM
So if the Broncos don't repeat or at least do win another title in less than four years he doesn't know what he's doing?

Who said anything about him not knowing what he's doing? I think it's pretty easy to see he knows what he's doing if you actually open your eyes any pay attention the last 5 years.

Ravage!!!
03-26-2016, 10:36 AM

Oh...he's serious. It's silk. That's his MO when it comes to Super Bowl appearances. We were complete trash if we didn't make it to a Super Bowl in 10 years.

tomjonesrocks
03-26-2016, 10:37 AM
There's an ESPN Insider article that detailed, statistically, Sanchez is outstanding outside the pocket - ranking 2nd to only Roethlisberger using various metrics (don't recall the whole thing).

Anyway it did make me wonder if maybe they could actually get some Plummer-like seasons out of him rolling him on bootlegs and keeping him on a tight leash.

It's on the Broncos Reddit somewhere.

TXBRONC
Who said anything about him not knowing what he's doing? I think it's pretty easy to see he knows what he's doing if you actually open your eyes any pay attention the last 5 years.

You inferred it.

silkamilkamonico
Oh...he's serious. It's silk. That's his MO when it comes to Super Bowl appearances. We were complete trash if we didn't make it to a Super Bowl in 10 years.

I think trash is really exaggerating. But to someone who still think Mike Shanahan and his 1 playoff win in the NFL since 1998 is somehoe still a top NFL coach, the exaggeration doesn't surprise me.

silkamilkamonico
03-26-2016, 10:38 AM
There's an ESPN Insider article that detailed, statistically, Sanchez is outstanding outside the pocket - ranking 2nd to only Roethlisberger using various metrics (don't recall the whole thing).

Anyway it did make me wonder if maybe they could actually get some Plummer-like seasons out of him rolling him on bootlegs and keeping him on a tight leash.

I'd take Plunger back in a minute. Dude was a real good QB for some pretty inept offensive Bronco teams.

silkamilkamonico
03-26-2016, 10:39 AM
I'll take that over the four plus decades since the Chiefs won the Super Bowl.

The Broncos and the Chiefs. That's just really not a very good organizational comparison.....at all.

TXBRONC
03-26-2016, 10:39 AM
I'd take Plunger back in a minute. Dude was a real good QB for some pretty inept offensive Bronco teams.

Inept offenses? No.

Ravage!!!
03-26-2016, 10:40 AM
I think trash is really exaggerating. But to someone who still think Mike Shanahan and his 1 playoff win in the NFL since 1998 is somehoe still a top NFL coach, the exaggeration doesn't surprise me.

Not really exaggerating. Your expectations have always been on the edge of ridiculous. You just made a statement that it would seem that 4 years goign BACK to the SUper Bowl compared to ONE is a huge difference! You've shown your hand for a long time. Your expectations are unreasonable, they always have been.

silkamilkamonico
03-26-2016, 10:40 AM
Inept offenses? No.

IN comparison to the all world talent we've had the last few years? Yes.

Ravage!!!
03-26-2016, 10:41 AM
Inept offenses? No.

Yeah.. :lol: That's what I was thinking.

Ravage!!!
03-26-2016, 10:43 AM

Wait.. you just said it was a bad comparison to compare the Broncos tot he Chiefs organizations...yet want to say Plummer's offense was 'inept" by comparing it to the "all world" offenses??? :confused: How does this make sense??

silkamilkamonico
03-26-2016, 10:44 AM
Not really exaggerating. Your expectations have always been on the edge of ridiculous. You just made a statement that it would seem that 4 years goign BACK to the SUper Bowl compared to ONE is a huge difference! You've shown your hand for a long time. Your expectations are unreasonable, they always have been.

Right, says the guy who says Mike Shanahan and his 1 playoff win since 1998 is still among the best NFL coaches in the NFL, it would be cool to get 2 SuperBowls in the next 4 years, maybe, instead of waiting 4 years. John Elway has been among the best in the NFL at assembling a great team. I think saying he couldn't get another win before 4 years is kind of selling him short. He might not. But he also might get 2. He's built a pretty dam good defense right now.

tomjonesrocks
03-26-2016, 10:44 AM
Yeah.. :lol: That's what I was thinking.

I guess he was throwing to the likes of Ahley Lelie but there was Mike Anderson there doing some rumbling to gaudy numbers.

silkamilkamonico
03-26-2016, 10:46 AM
Wait.. you just said it was a bad comparison to compare the Broncos tot he Chiefs organizations...yet want to say Plummer's offense was 'inept" by comparing it to the "all world" offenses??? :confused: How does this make sense??

LMAO. Jake PLunger's TE was some clown named Jeb Putzier. His running game consisted of make shift RBs who had great years who probably all equalled CLinton Portis's talent. Since Mike Shanahan came to Denver, the Jake PLunger led teams really didn't have any offensive talent in terms of star skill players.

Ravage!!!
03-26-2016, 10:47 AM

uhmm. we had McCaffrey, Smith, Sharp, Portis and Anderson in 2003

and even the year he was benched we had Rod Smith, Brandon Marshall on the outside. How is that less than all the 'world talent' we have now?

silkamilkamonico
03-26-2016, 10:55 AM
uhmm. we had McCaffrey, Smith, Sharp, Portis and Anderson in 2003

and even the year he was benched we had Rod Smith, Brandon Marshall on the outside. How is that less than all the 'world talent' we have now?

Uhmmm...well, not really.

2003 was his best offense in terms of skill. It was Portis and Sharpe's last year. McCafferey was an absolute shell of himself after his broken leg and caught like 20 passes.
2004 his RB's were the almighty Droiughns and Griffith show. This was the year we had some clown named Jeb Putzier as the starting TE for a handful of years. HIS wr's were Lelie, Smith, and some bust named Darius Watts.
2005......shit. I'm not even going to waste my time. A diminished 35 year old Rod Smith and Mike Anderson were really it.

Brandon Marshall came in with Jay Cutler. WIth the benefit of hindsight, those teams were really void of talent.

silkamilkamonico
03-26-2016, 11:01 AM
So anyways, back to the original argument.

I'm not going to freak out over Mark Sanchez, because like everyone said, Elway knows what he's doing. But Ryan Fitzgerald, or whatever his name is, almost brought the godforsaken Jets to the playoffs with 10 wins, he's old, he can fill a gap for 2 years, and if he can win 10 games with the shitty Jets, he might just win 12 with the Broncos.

Cugel
03-26-2016, 11:19 AM

YOu're absolutely FULL of crap! You're stating as FACT, what you have no idea about!

D-Mack: "Al, what do you think about the off-season?"

Alfred Williams: "I like the [new signings of the] off-season now. I still think we could have done all of these deals [Okung, Stephenson] and still had Brock Osweiler under contract for under $10,000,000 [for 2016]."

D-Mack: "Oh, of course, there's no doubt about it! No doubt about it. They blew that. They waited way too long."

Alfred Williams: "Yeah. So, right now it's a mixed bag off-season. We're really going to have to wait until the draft to judge this off-season."

The Drive, Hour 1, 3-21-16 (http://www.1043thefan.com/the-drive/)

They didn't even feel the need to discuss that at length. It's just stated as an obvious fact that everybody knows.

He wasn't going to get starter money if he never started, because nobody could know until they saw him play in the regular season what he could do.

But, feel free to continue to call me stupid names like "dipshit" to prove your point!

Every expert knows and many have now stated exactly what you deny. That the Broncos could have signed Osweiler to an extended contract in July 2015, but they waited too long. By the time they made him an $11M offer he was nearly a FA and had been benched and was mad at the Broncos. At that point he's only got to wait a month or so to become an UFA and his value had sky rocketed due to the stated interest of the Texans and other teams.

This is COMMON KNOWLEDGE. Period.

Cugel
03-26-2016, 11:26 AM

I'm not going to freak out over Mark Sanchez, because like everyone said, Elway knows what he's doing. But Ryan Fitzgerald, or whatever his name is, almost brought the godforsaken Jets to the playoffs with 10 wins, he's old, he can fill a gap for 2 years, and if he can win 10 games with the shitty Jets, he might just win 12 with the Broncos.

And he wants $18M because he had a better season than Osweiler, even though he's 33 years old. He's in a contract impasse with the Jets because they want to pay him under $12M and the two sides are way apart.

He'll have to come down from his $18M demand, but how far? $15M? $14? That's still too high for the Broncos.

If he came down to $12M he'd just re-sign with the Jets. Ryan Fitzpatrick is not coming here.

Northman
03-26-2016, 11:45 AM

Fitz did a decent job but by using the same logic Sanchez took the Jets further when he was there so basically he did more than Fitz at this point as both guys benefited form a very good defense.

TXBRONC
03-26-2016, 12:06 PM

Come on Silk, you complained about the offense all season long. I don't recall Shanahan ever having offense that ranked at bottom of League.

MOtorboat
03-26-2016, 12:42 PM
YOu're absolutely FULL of crap! You're stating as FACT, what you have no idea about!

That's hilarious.

He wasn't going to get starter money if he never started, because nobody could know until they saw him play in the regular season what he could do.

Then why were you arguing this exact thing a year ago?

Poet
03-26-2016, 01:24 PM
If Oz left because he wanted to get out of Manning and Elway's shadow, why would he have resigned in the first place? I don't think that was the sole reason Brock left, the money is always going to outweigh just about anything else, but it's a hard thing for me to believe that we 'know' Brock would or wouldn't have taken the deal. With that being said, if Elway offered Brock 5-6 million per season in the past, and we know those were tight salary cap seasons, it might have caused Denver to lose out on some of its other players. The fans would be been pissed off, rightfully so, and the only thing that would placate us would be if we knew that Brock was going to be a stud.

We don't even know that now. I think both parties went through separate ways, and that it was defensible.

CoachChaz
03-26-2016, 01:42 PM
Fitz did a decent job but by using the same logic Sanchez took the Jets further when he was there so basically he did more than Fitz at this point as both guys benefited form a very good defense.

Fitz also benefitted from a Chan Gailey offense. There is not one season in his career prior to 2015 where anyone would be content with him as our starter. The stars aligned for a year for Fitz and he'd be an absolute fool not to stick it out.

Poet
03-26-2016, 01:43 PM
Fitz also benefitted from a Chan Gailey offense. There is not one season in his career prior to 2015 where anyone would be content with him as our starter. The stars aligned for a year for Fitz and he'd be an absolute fool not to stick it out.

He also benefited from his WR's more than they did from Fitz.

CoachChaz
03-26-2016, 01:50 PM
He also benefited from his WR's more than they did from Fitz.

Agreed...and a strong running game. Add all the parts into the sum of a Gailey offense and most QB's could have excelled.

Poet
03-26-2016, 01:54 PM
Agreed...and a strong running game. Add all the parts into the sum of a Gailey offense and most QB's could have excelled.

Fitzpatrick is not a good starting QB.

NightTerror218
03-26-2016, 02:27 PM
Kubiak's system should be a dream for a new QB. Run heavy which helps young QB. Simple reads and most passes are deep, check downs or quick hits.

TXBRONC
03-26-2016, 05:21 PM
Kubiak's system should be a dream for a new QB. Run heavy which helps young QB. Simple reads and most passes are deep, check downs or quick hits.

A strong running game is still a quarterback's best friend even this pass happy age.

slim
03-27-2016, 08:34 PM
A strong running game is still a quarterback's best friend even this pass happy age.

Pass to win.

Sincerely,

Mo

MOtorboat
03-27-2016, 08:57 PM
Pass to win.

Sincerely,

Mo

You take Mark Sanchez for five years and I'll take Aaron Rodgers and let's see who makes the playoffs the most in the next five years. Elite quarterbacks give you a chance to get there. Anything can happen in one game.

There's a reason an elite defense like Denver's wins a Super Bowl about once every 15 years.

BroncoWave
03-27-2016, 09:11 PM
You take Mark Sanchez for five years and I'll take Aaron Rodgers and let's see who makes the playoffs the most in the next five years. Elite quarterbacks give you a chance to get there. Anything can happen in one game.

There's a reason an elite defense like Denver's wins a Super Bowl about once every 15 years.

Just in the last 15 years you have the 2000 Ravens, 02 Bucs, 13 Seahawks, and 15 Broncos. Not to mention your two Giants teams that were more defensive oriented and beat offensive juggernaut Pats teams.

But yeah, sure, only happens once every 15 years.

TXBRONC
03-27-2016, 09:13 PM

Two out of the last three have been won by teams with a great defense fwiw.

Even aquarterback like Rodgers benefits from a strong running. Also if the Packers didn't think that have good running was important then drafting Lacey was a waste.

Simple Jaded
03-27-2016, 09:20 PM
I'm with MO, you gotta have the QB.

Right now we're finding out how hard it is to build a great team and THEN find a QB, like so many wanted to do in 2012. Remember that? "Don't sign Manning cause they're not gonna do shit in the 2-3 year window".

The Broncos have everything, Imo, they're looking more balanced on paper than after the (Suck it) WORLD Championship. OL is looking much better, they have receivers, RB and the defense should still be strong.

As much as I like the notion of Sanchez he's probably thoroughly underwhelming without the benefit of Orange colored glasses.

BroncoWave
03-27-2016, 09:28 PM
Just in the last 15 years you have the 2000 Ravens, 02 Bucs, 13 Seahawks, and 15 Broncos. Not to mention your two Giants teams that were more defensive oriented and beat offensive juggernaut Pats teams.

Just to add to this, I'm not saying you don't need a good QB. Obviously that's priority #1. But it's a bit of an exaggeration to say winning with defense is a 1 in 15 year thing. If you count those Giants teams, it's closer to about 1 in 3 years.

TXBRONC
03-27-2016, 09:35 PM
I'm with MO, you gotta have the QB.

Right now we're finding out how hard it is to build a great team and THEN find a QB, like so many wanted to do in 2012. Remember that? "Don't sign Manning cause they're not gonna do shit in the 2-3 year window".

The Broncos have everything, Imo, they're looking more balanced on paper than after the (Suck it) WORLD Championship. OL is looking much better, they have receivers, RB and the defense should still be strong.

As much as I like the notion of Sanchez he's probably thoroughly underwhelming without the benefit of Orange colored glasses.

I would feel better if Denver already had an elite quarterback and I don't think anyone else would mind either. A couple of posts back I said a strong running game is quarterback's best friend even in this pass happy day and age.

Timmy!
03-28-2016, 02:02 PM
Moar shotgun!!!

Sincerely,
MO

TXBRONC
03-28-2016, 02:20 PM
Moar shotgun!!!

Sincerely,
MO

Running the ball from the shotgun mean moar success as well.

slim
03-28-2016, 02:22 PM

So you think Aaron Rodgers is better than Mark Sanchez?

Wow, I don't know what to say.

TXBRONC
03-28-2016, 02:36 PM

He is a little bit better than Sanchez but, I know if you could make a living off of the difference.

Northman
03-28-2016, 02:58 PM

Nah, the Giants teams were not even in the same hemisphere as the other teams you mentioned. The Giants simply got hot at the right time and in one of the SB's if Eli had not made the play of his life they would of lost the first SB against the Pats. The other defenses absolutely shut down the best offenses in those SB's and it wasnt even close. MO is entirely correct here, you need a Elite QB more times than not to get to the SB and win it but on occasion if you have the perfect defense you can steal one which is what Denver did last year. Sanchez will be adequate but wont be the longterm answer at QB until we can find that gem that we are looking for.

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 03:07 PM

You whined the entire year about not having a good quarterback, are you now advocating for going that route every year?

slim
03-28-2016, 03:09 PM
You whined the entire year about not having a good quarterback, are you now advocating for going that route every year?

No. I think you need balance.

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 03:14 PM
No. I think you need balance.

So a quarterback by committee?

slim
03-28-2016, 03:16 PM
So a quarterback by committee?

No.

A running game, a solid defense and a QB that is middle of the pack is OK with me.

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 03:18 PM
No.

A running game, a solid defense and a QB that is middle of the pack is OK with me.

Oh, OK. I'll take the elite quarterback if I have a choice.

slim
03-28-2016, 03:19 PM

Well, you don't really have one.

There are no elite QBs available.

Valar Morghulis
03-28-2016, 03:21 PM
Just as well because there are only about 5 elite qbs out there - so rather than preparing a finesse offense to be ran by a turd, stock up on D, and the O-Line. RBs are a dime a dozen and mediocre wide receivers can produce good numbers.

Mediocre D and O-Line get teams number one draft picks

I love the idea of having an elite QB - but they are a rare bread, so i stand with slim - right now, i am ok with balance as he put it

Tned
03-28-2016, 03:21 PM

Me too, but as I hear it, Elway called and they said no...

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 03:22 PM
Well, you don't really have one.

There are no elite QBs available.

This is true. I'm still making my offense more efficient by passing the football. Y'all can mock me all you want, but there's a reason coaches continue to pass more and more.

Valar Morghulis
03-28-2016, 03:23 PM
No.

My previous post was a reply to this

slim
03-28-2016, 03:28 PM
This is true. I'm still making my offense more efficient by passing the football. Y'all can mock me all you want, but there's a reason coaches continue to pass more and more.

But trying to do this without an elite QB is fools gold.

I will empower my defense by running the ball and not putting the game on the arm of an average QB.

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 03:29 PM
But trying to do this without an elite QB is fools gold.

I will empower my defense by running the ball and not putting the game on the arm of an average QB.

And we're going to find out how that works.

Tned
03-28-2016, 03:32 PM
Just as well because there are only about 5 elite qbs out there - so rather than preparing a finesse offense to be ran by a turd, stock up on D, and the O-Line. RBs are a dime a dozen and mediocre wide receivers can produce good numbers.

Mediocre D and O-Line get teams number one draft picks

I love the idea of having an elite QB - but they are a rare bread, so i stand with slim - right now, i am ok with balance as he put it

Ideally, a team wants/needs a franchise QB to build around, but as you said, there aren't that many that truly reach the elite level. If you are a good team, and getting draft picks routinely in the high teens to high twenties, and when you are really good, picks of 31 or 32, then it really reduces any chance to get an elite QB unless you get lucky on a QB that isn't "elite" coming out of college.

McDaniels provided the Broncos with one top 10 pick, and the Broncos got an elite pass rusher. How many top ten picks have the Broncos had in the last decade (not to mention the entire Bowlen era)?

So, that means you either get lucky on a QB at the end of the first or later in the draft, or you make a trade like Shanahan did in Washington to get RGIII and hope and pray that the guys you mortgaged the franchise for is truly elite. In Washington's case, they only had to move up four spots, and it cost them their 6th round pick (in exchange for the Ram's 2nd), plus their first round picks the next two years, plus another 2nd or so. For the Broncos, almost always drafting towards the end of the first round, it might take another first, or who knows what to move from 31 to 2nd or 4th or first or whatever it takes to get an elite QB, other than going the "pick and pray" route on non top 10 QBs.

It's hard to be a winning team and draft an elite QB. Elite QBs are typically drafted by crappy teams, and if they are lucky, the team builds a solid team around them.

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 03:43 PM
Ideally, a team wants/needs a franchise QB to build around, but as you said, there aren't that many that truly reach the elite level. If you are a good team, and getting draft picks routinely in the high teens to high twenties, and when you are really good, picks of 31 or 32, then it really reduces any chance to get an elite QB unless you get lucky on a QB that isn't "elite" coming out of college.

McDaniels provided the Broncos with one top 10 pick, and the Broncos got an elite pass rusher. How many top ten picks have the Broncos had in the last decade (not to mention the entire Bowlen era)?

So, that means you either get lucky on a QB at the end of the first or later in the draft, or you make a trade like Shanahan did in Washington to get RGIII and hope and pray that the guys you mortgaged the franchise for is truly elite. In Washington's case, they only had to move up four spots, and it cost them their 6th round pick (in exchange for the Ram's 2nd), plus their first round picks the next two years, plus another 2nd or so. For the Broncos, almost always drafting towards the end of the first round, it might take another first, or who knows what to move from 31 to 2nd or 4th or first or whatever it takes to get an elite QB, other than going the "pick and pray" route on non top 10 QBs.

It's hard to be a winning team and draft an elite QB. Elite QBs are typically drafted by crappy teams, and if they are lucky, the team builds a solid team around them.

The Broncos have picked in the Top 10 only five times since 1970.

I understand that reduces the chances of drafting an elite quarterback, but I don't think that means you stop trying to find one.

BroncoJoe
03-28-2016, 03:55 PM

Sanchez (if he's the starter) will have better numbers than our QB's of the past year.

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 04:00 PM
Sanchez (if he's the starter) will have better numbers than our QB's of the past year.

That would be the best year of his career.

BroncoJoe
03-28-2016, 04:02 PM
That would be the best year of his career.

No.

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 04:07 PM
No.

Yeah. It'd be career highs in every statistical category.

:whoknows:

Valar Morghulis
03-28-2016, 04:09 PM
Including interceptions lol

BroncoJoe
03-28-2016, 04:10 PM
Yeah. It'd be career highs in every statistical category.

:whoknows:

Maybe in INTs. Otherwise, no.

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 04:30 PM
Maybe in INTs. Otherwise, no.

Must be the only number you're looking at. He's never even come close to 4,000 yards or 60 percent completion. He had 26 TDs one year, so I guess that?

BroncoJoe
03-28-2016, 04:33 PM
Must be the only number you're looking at. He's never even come close to 4,000 yards or 60 percent completion. He had 26 TDs one year, so I guess that?

His last two years completion average was 64.3%. Granted, they weren't full season stats, but our QB(s) didn't play a full season either.

I'm not saying he's the end-all be-all, but he will be serviceable, and his stats will be better than our QB's stats LAST YEAR. I'm not talking career.

BroncoJoe
03-28-2016, 04:36 PM
He'll also have MUCH better coaching for a QB.

Rex or Kubiak?
Chip or Kubiak?

Child please.

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 04:36 PM
His last two years completion average was 64.3%. Granted, they weren't full season stats, but our QB(s) didn't play a full season either.

I'm not saying he's the end-all be-all, but he will be serviceable, and his stats will be better than our QB's stats LAST YEAR. I'm not talking career.

I know you weren't talking about career. I'm just curious as to why we're so on the bandwagon for a quarterback who's best year was possibly slightly better than the worst quarterbacking year in 20 seasons for the Broncos?

I mean, I like the idea of Sanchez finally finding his spot, like Plummer, but let's not have delusions of grandeur.

BroncoJoe
03-28-2016, 04:38 PM
I know you weren't talking about career. I'm just curious as to why we're so on the bandwagon for a quarterback who's best year was possibly slightly better than the worst quarterbacking year in 20 seasons for the Broncos?

I mean, I like the idea of Sanchez finally finding his spot, like Plummer, but let's not have delusions of grandeur.

I don't. I was merely pointing out the Sanchez will probably (most likely) do better than our QBs did last year. You know, the year we WON THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP?

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 04:40 PM
I don't. I was merely pointing out the Sanchez will probably (most likely) do better than our QBs did last year. You know, the year we WON THE WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP?

I guess back-to-back is a lock, then.

BroncoWave
03-28-2016, 04:41 PM

#hottake

Northman
03-28-2016, 04:43 PM

It really wasnt going to be a lock in any regard. There was no QB out there that was going to be a lock for us so might as well throw support behind Sanchez no?

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 04:49 PM
It really wasnt going to be a lock in any regard. There was no QB out there that was going to be a lock for us so might as well throw support behind Sanchez no?

I will. I'm just trying to figure out why the two people who hated the quarterback play of last year's team the most are reconciling support of a quarterback who's play is likely going to be similar.

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 04:50 PM
#hottake

Yes. That was an intentional hot take. I'm glad you picked up on that.

Northman
03-28-2016, 04:52 PM
I will. I'm just trying to figure out why the two people who hated the quarterback play of last year's team the most are reconciling support of a quarterback who's play is likely going to be similar.

Oh, i guess i missed that part of the conversation. I dont think Sanchez will blow it out of the park but it really cant be much worse than we had last year.

Timmy!
And we're going to find out how that works.

We already did......

slim

I don't think Sanchez will be our starting QB

BroncoWave
03-28-2016, 04:53 PM
Yes. That was an intentional hot take. I'm glad you picked up on that.

You've been getting uppity again lately, Mo. It might be time for you to go back and watch a SB50 replay to cheer yourself up!

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 04:53 PM

Alrighty then.

slim
03-28-2016, 04:58 PM
Alrighty then.

FYI - If you think I was bitching about Peyton Manning last year, then you missed the point. It had nothing to do with 18.

BroncoJoe
03-28-2016, 05:20 PM

Which two are you referring to? No need to be cryptic.

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 05:22 PM
Which two are you referring to? No need to be cryptic.

You and Slim. Not trying to be cryptic.

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 05:23 PM
FYI - If you think I was bitching about Peyton Manning last year, then you missed the point. It had nothing to do with 18.

So when you were complaining about the quarterback play you weren't complaining about the quarterback play?

That's deep Slim.

Am I Woody Harrelson in this metaphor?

BroncoJoe
03-28-2016, 05:28 PM
You and Slim. Not trying to be cryptic.

Dude - Manning sucked ass last year. He was good (better?) when he came back, but he was terrible for the first 7 or so games.

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 05:29 PM
Dude - Manning sucked ass last year. He was good better?) when he came back, but he was terrible for the first 7 or so games.

And I'm not disputing that.

slim
03-28-2016, 05:31 PM
So when you were complaining about the quarterback play you weren't complaining about the quarterback play?

That's deep Slim.

Am I Woody Harrelson in this metaphor?

My complaint was that they brought back a QB that obviously couldn't play any more. So it had more to do with the FO than anything else. It was time to start thinking about the future.

Let me ask you a question...what do you think the odds are that Brock would have been extended at a reasonable price last year if they had cut bait with 18 before the season started?

BroncoJoe
03-28-2016, 05:34 PM
And I'm not disputing that.

So what is your complaint? Just being a sour puss?

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 05:36 PM
My complaint was that they brought back a QB that obviously couldn't play any more. So it had more to do with the FO than anything else. It was time to start thinking about the future.

Let me ask you a question...what do you think the odds are that Brock would have been extended at a reasonable price last year if they had cut bait with 18 before the season started?

Maybe. I think Osweiler was pretty hell bent on going to free agency and getting out of town.

MOtorboat
03-28-2016, 05:37 PM
So what is your complaint? Just being a sour puss?

No. Not at all.

I've stated what I was trying to figure out.

slim
03-28-2016, 05:37 PM
Maybe. I think Osweiler was pretty hell bent on going to free agency and getting out of town.

I guess we'll never know for sure.

I hope the draft is good to us.

Rick
03-28-2016, 05:59 PM
I think Sanchez can at least be as "good" as what we put out last year.

That being said...that is not what I want. I like Sanchez being here as a capable backup vet, but I don't want to settle for scoring a TD and a number of field goals and let the defense win it just by holding on. The defense has to play lights out every game for that to happen.

I am not asking for a top 5 QB but scoring more than 20 per game would be nice.

wayninja
03-28-2016, 06:08 PM
I know we had great defensive play and that contributed to points, but we did average 22.2 points per game in 2015. Which puts us a fraction of a point below league average.

It can be worse.

Scoring wasn't our worst problem. Turning the ball over was.

NightTerror218
03-28-2016, 06:13 PM

NFL rules protect the offense and passing game?

TXBRONC
03-28-2016, 06:33 PM

If Sanchez is starter I don't think he's be anything more than a serviceable place holder. I doubt Elway sees him as anything more than that, if he does he has funny way of going about it.

slim
03-28-2016, 06:35 PM
I know we had great defensive play and that contributed to points, but we did average 22.2 points per game in 2015. Which puts us a fraction of a point below league average.

It can be worse.

Good point.

I remember all the times in the mid 2000s I thought our defense couldn't get worse, then it did.

Poet
03-28-2016, 06:38 PM
Good point.

I remember all the times in the mid 2000s I thought our defense couldn't get worse, then it did.

Is Slowik still a curse word arond here?

TXBRONC
03-28-2016, 06:38 PM

Who will be our starter Slim?

slim
03-28-2016, 07:14 PM
Is Slowik still a curse word arond here?

Yes.

slim
03-28-2016, 07:15 PM
Who will be our starter Slim?

Whoever we draft.

TXBRONC
03-28-2016, 07:19 PM
Whoever we draft.

Unless it's at the top of draft I'm not sure the guy they select will be ready immediately.

Krugan
03-28-2016, 07:24 PM
This still makes me feel a little queasy, place holder or not....

TXBRONC
03-28-2016, 07:37 PM
This still makes me feel a little queasy, place holder or not....

Not that I want it to happen but a place holder potentially cause the team to take step back.

Poet
03-28-2016, 07:44 PM
Sanchez was decent in NY when his defense was good, the running game worked, and the pressure to win a game was not on his shoulders. The defense is there, and the running game should be a little bit better imo. The stopgap of Sanchez isn't as awful as it looks. I would prefer the trading up to grab someone, though.

Shazam!
03-28-2016, 07:44 PM

It can be worse.

Broncos were number 30 in the NFL at 3 and Outs.

Scoring and drives were certainly a problem.

Northman
03-28-2016, 07:51 PM
I think Sanchez can at least be as "good" as what we put out last year.

That being said...that is not what I want. I like Sanchez being here as a capable backup vet, but I don't want to settle for scoring a TD and a number of field goals and let the defense win it just by holding on. The defense has to play lights out every game for that to happen.

I am not asking for a top 5 QB but scoring more than 20 per game would be nice.

There just isnt a QB out there right now that can do that.

TXBRONC
03-28-2016, 07:55 PM
There just isnt a QB out there right now that can do that.

I think with descent quarterbacking and a solid run game Denver can get above twenty points per game.

NightTerror218
03-28-2016, 07:57 PM
Whoever we draft.

And if that is in round 4?

I doubt a QB starts beginning of season

TXBRONC
03-28-2016, 08:06 PM
And if that is in round 4?

I doubt a QB starts beginning of season

Never doubt the Slim.

slim
03-28-2016, 08:26 PM
Unless it's at the top of draft I'm not sure the guy they select will be ready immediately.

Well yeah...I'm assuming they will draft a QB in round 1

TXBRONC
03-28-2016, 09:20 PM
Well yeah...I'm assuming they will draft a QB in round 1

Gotcha. :2thumbs:

Davii
03-28-2016, 09:48 PM
Put me in coach! I'm ready!

Northman
03-29-2016, 05:41 AM
I think with descent quarterbacking and a solid run game Denver can get above twenty points per game.

I wouldnt count on that consistently, not right now.

Rick
03-29-2016, 06:09 AM
Going to be a lot of the same from last year. Hope to hell the defense can hold them and that somehow the offense just manages to score more than the other team...

Northman
03-29-2016, 06:13 AM
Improving the Oline should help immensely with the run and pass blocking, and having a QB who isnt limited to being a statue and more arm strength should be favorable as well.

Rick
03-29-2016, 06:27 AM
Improving the Oline should help immensely with the run and pass blocking, and having a QB who isnt limited to being a statue and more arm strength should be favorable as well.

That is true, baring injuries this OLine should be much better than the one we carted out last year. If Sanchez can make them at least respect the pass so they are not just sticking everyone in the box like they often did with Manning, we may at least have a top notch run game.

It is easy to forget that before Plummer got here his last year in Arizona he threw 18 TDs and 20 ints and 53% completion. Once he got here, while not exactly a top QB, his offense did move the chains so who knows...maybe Mark can be competent once he gets here too.

CoachChaz
03-29-2016, 10:26 AM
Going to be a lot of the same from last year. Hope to hell the defense can hold them and that somehow the offense just manages to score more than the other team...

Well, if it's like last year, then we hope the defense holds them...and then nabs a pick six or a fumble recovery for a TD at the end of the game to compensate for the offense.

TXBRONC
03-29-2016, 04:37 PM
Put me in coach! I'm ready!

As soon as you set your weapons down seargent.

Traveler
03-30-2016, 01:26 PM
While watching this whole QB scenario play out, I'm willing to just roll with Sanchez this season. Kaepernick is damaged goods and can't beat teams from the pocket. All the rest of the available QB's out there are the same guy IMO. We have 10 picks in the draft and not all 10 will make the team. Use what it takes (picks and Clady) to move up and select a guy like Lynch. He's the next best passing QB after Wentz and is athletic enough to run Kubes' system.

I would like to see Denver sporting its own home grown player at the position next season and for the long term.

NightTerror218
03-30-2016, 01:30 PM
While watching this whole QB scenario play out, I'm willing to just roll with Sanchez this season. Kaepernick is damaged goods and can't beat teams from the pocket. All the rest of the available QB's out there are the same guy IMO. We have 10 picks in the draft and not all 10 will make the team. Use what it takes (picks and Clady) to move up and select a guy like Lynch. He's the next best passing QB after Wentz and is athletic enough to run Kubes' system.

I would like to see Denver sporting its own home grown player at the position next season and for the long term.

Lynch scares me, he is Oz 2.0. Exact same size, same arm strength and considered very raw. His footwork and throwing mechanics need work. How are his drop backs and release to get ball out quick.

Northman
03-30-2016, 01:50 PM
Lynch scares me, he is Oz 2.0. Exact same size, same arm strength and considered very raw. His footwork and throwing mechanics need work. How are his drop backs and release to get ball out quick.

I think the thing that concerns me about Lynch is when it came to playing against quality opponents he didnt fair quite as well as the Tigers ended up losing 4 of their last 5 games last year including getting blown up in the bowl game vs Auburn. But, here is a highlight vid of the kid in case you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdm3TayuSUo

BroncoJoe
03-30-2016, 02:54 PM
Their helmets are BA.

Simple Jaded
03-30-2016, 08:51 PM
http://draftbreakdown.com/players/paxton-lynch/

These guys are usually better than just YouTube highlights, they show every play the player is involved in.

Jsteve01
03-31-2016, 08:34 AM
I just keep thinking about the Plummer years and what Kubes did with marginal talent in Houston. This is not scaring me as much as it once did. The huge benefit is that Sanchez understands the terminology. Manning and Oz were starting from scratch.

Cugel
04-02-2016, 11:55 AM
Sanchez was decent in NY when his defense was good, the running game worked, and the pressure to win a game was not on his shoulders. The defense is there, and the running game should be a little bit better imo. The stopgap of Sanchez isn't as awful as it looks. I would prefer the trading up to grab someone, though.

You've just stated Elway's theory in acquiring Mark Sanchez.

They are probably not trading up in the first round though, first because it's hideously expensive and difficult, and also because they are not desperate for a QB to start immediately, so they can take a project like they did with Osweiler.

They can use Sanchez and take a look at Seimian for a year, then decide whether their 2nd or 3rd round rookie is ready to start yet.

Poet
04-02-2016, 11:58 AM
You've just stated Elway's theory in acquiring Mark Sanchez.

They are probably not trading up in the first round though, first because it's hideously expensive and difficult, and also because they are not desperate for a QB to start immediately, so they can take a project like they did with Osweiler.

They can use Sanchez and take a look at Seimian for a year, then decide whether their 2nd or 3rd round rookie is ready to start yet.

I understand the theory, but Sanchez is bad. He might turn it around this year, and he might revamp his career as a journeyman type guy, so there's that. With that being said, the picks might be there to make a move. Depending on who we like, maybe we trade up to land approximately around the top ten. IDK, Cugel, part of it IS wishful thinking. Sanchez is not exciting as a player. Even when he was solid he proved that his mediocre arm was a liability. I''ll give him this: he has had some truly miserable moments on huge stages and rebounded from them, so toughness is something he possesses.

Cugel
04-02-2016, 12:13 PM
I understand the theory, but Sanchez is bad. He might turn it around this year, and he might revamp his career as a journeyman type guy, so there's that. With that being said, the picks might be there to make a move. Depending on who we like, maybe we trade up to land approximately around the top ten. IDK, Cugel, part of it IS wishful thinking. Sanchez is not exciting as a player. Even when he was solid he proved that his mediocre arm was a liability. I''ll give him this: he has had some truly miserable moments on huge stages and rebounded from them, so toughness is something he possesses.

Trading up from #31 pick - worth 600 points, to #10 - 1300 points means giving up TWO #1 picks.

And as former Player Personnel Director Chris Landry explained on air yesterday, normally teams in the top 10 don't want to trade "all the way down from #1 to #15" (let alone #31). What they are really doing is trying to land a player they like in the top 5 or 10, but don't want to pay top 5 or 10 $ to. They think maybe the guy would be there a few spots later, but not 15 or 20 spots later.

So, they want to trade and move down, just not too far. Just look what it took the Jets to move up to #5 from around #17 to draft Mark Sanchez!

From the Times in 2009:

In exchange for the fifth pick, the Jets gave up the 17th pick, their second-round selection and three players: defensive end Kenyon Coleman, safety Abram Elam and quarterback Brett Ratliff.

“Eric and I had a good relationship, and we continue to have a good relationship,” Tannenbaum said. “We talk. I think he did a really good job here. I expect him to do a great job there as well. We’re also really excited to have Rex [Ryan] right here. Eric [Mangini] is going to do what’s best for the Cleveland Browns, and we’re going to do what’s best for the Jets.”

Sanchez is the first quarterback the Jets have taken in the first round since Chad Pennington in 2000, and he will arrive with a reputation for having a better arm. The scouts also saw accuracy and mobility from Sanchez, but he made only 16 starts in his U.S.C. career, 13 of them last season. Trojans Coach Pete Carroll had indicated that Sanchez was not ready for the N.F.L.

Turns out Sanchez still is "not ready" for the N.F.L. And none of the guys in that transaction, Tannenbaum, Mangini or Rex Ryan still have their same jobs 6 years later.

Poet
04-02-2016, 12:16 PM
I don't disagree with your information, but let's also be clear in that with the new salary rules trades are more common. This is also a quarterback we're talking about. If we see Elway pulling the trigger they truly believe in the young guy, and that should be exciting. In that sense we should WANT Denver to trade up and get a QB.

Simple Jaded
04-03-2016, 01:21 AM
I was gonna throw this out there in another thread but it's been closed.

At the number the Broncos want Kap at and Patrick Willis average salary, that comes to about $15MM. Clady is about $10MM.

I'll throw Sanchez in there so this is not off topic, because imo Kap would make Sanchez a luxury, he's making about $5MM.

VonDoom
04-04-2016, 06:37 AM
Sanchez is bringing the receivers out to CA for a QB camp this week:

As the Denver Broncos flirt with another quarterback, Sanchez is reminding his new team it already has a capable leader. Sanchez is holding his annual passing camp Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday in Orange County, this time with Broncos receivers, tight ends, running backs and quarterback mate Trevor Siemian.

“It shows he wants to come in and get to know us before OTAs start,” Broncos receiver Bennie Fowler said Sunday afternoon from California. “I think it’s really good. It’s going to help us get off to a good start.”

Let Broncos general manager John Elway worry about trying to acquire Colin Kaepernick from the San Francisco 49ers. Sanchez will concentrate on what he can control, which is to get acclimated with his new teammates.

Sanchez held similar passing camps during his time with the Jets and Eagles. The passing camp with the Broncos is a bit earlier than usual as the team doesn’t begin its offseason workout program until April 18.

But Sanchez’ enthusiasm about leading the defending Super Bowl champs cannot be contained. The three-day session will include offensive whiteboard sessions followed by route-running and passing.

The Broncos’ administration and coaches have nothing to do with the passing camp. Sanchez will serve as camp organizer and offensive coordinator. He will take all his teammates out to dinner one night.

Peyton Manning held similar sessions in past offseasons with Broncos receivers at Duke University.

“It’ll be nice to get some work in,” Siemian said. “Mark set this whole thing up. He’s a good dude from everything I’ve been hearing.

http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/sanchez-brings-broncos-receivers-out-to-california-this-week-for-passing-camp/118065445

TXBRONC
04-04-2016, 07:06 AM
I don't how much good it will do but it can't hurt.

Northman
04-04-2016, 08:34 AM
Having chemistry with new receivers is important and im glad that Mark is taking it seriously to try and build a repertoire with the wideouts.

Ravage!!!
04-04-2016, 09:14 AM
and rapport

Traveler
04-04-2016, 09:18 AM
and rapport

I see what you did there. ;)

Denver Native (Carol)
04-04-2016, 09:52 AM
I am glad that Mark is doing this, and I would really like to see him be successful here.

pnbronco
04-04-2016, 10:15 AM
Sanchez is bringing the receivers out to CA for a QB camp this week:

http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/sanchez-brings-broncos-receivers-out-to-california-this-week-for-passing-camp/118065445

I just read this and wasn't sure if there was a thread for it. I love it because he did everything to set this up. It's a way to develop chemistry with the receiver. Plus he's taking the tight ends, running backs and quarterback mate Trevor Siemian. With all the talk of bringing Kap in Sanchez is showing leadership and that he is serious about competing for the starting job.

Northman
04-04-2016, 10:42 AM
I am glad that Mark is doing this, and I would really like to see him be successful here.

Exactly. Its not like there is a lot out there for the time being so might as well pull for the guy to maybe change his fortune here.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-04-2016, 11:45 AM
Exactly. Its not like there is a lot out there for the time being so might as well pull for the guy to maybe change his fortune here.

IMO, there is no better organization to be in to be able to change his fortune

TXBRONC
04-04-2016, 06:27 PM
IMO, there is no better organization to be in to be able to change his fortune

Especially with him being a quarterback.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-04-2016, 07:18 PM
Jon Heath ‎@JonHeathNFL

Winning over new teammates? @Mark_Sanchez had dinner with @JHeuerman86 the other night: https://instagram.com/p/BDta54aSWce/
10:32 PM - 3 Apr 2016

TXBRONC
04-04-2016, 08:06 PM
Jon Heath ‎@JonHeathNFL

Winning over new teammates? @Mark_Sanchez had dinner with @JHeuerman86 the other night: https://instagram.com/p/BDta54aSWce/
10:32 PM - 3 Apr 2016

He's at least trying.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-04-2016, 08:45 PM
I may be the only one on here watching DWTS, only because I want to see Von dance. Von just got done, and they showed both Mark Sanchez, with DT next to him in the audience. I had read earlier that there would players out there with Mark in the audience supporting Von.

TXBRONC
04-04-2016, 08:59 PM
I may be the only one on here watching DWTS, only because I want to see Von dance. Von just got done, and they showed both Mark Sanchez, with DT next to him in the audience. I had read earlier that there would players out there with Mark in the audience supporting Von.

I thought someone had mentioned that they were going to going watch Miller dance.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-04-2016, 09:41 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 2h

Among those Broncos in LA for passing camp are Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, Bennie Fowler, Jordan Taylor & Jeff Huermann

Mark Sanchez and team mates at Dancing With The Stars
http://imgur.com/rtdj5GD

Dapper Dan
04-06-2016, 02:56 AM
With what's going on, it really feels like Sanchez is their QB.

The Glue Factory
04-06-2016, 09:49 AM
With what's going on, it really feels like Sanchez is their QB.

Got a while to go. Kaep may still show up in Blue and Orange, or something may happen from left field. We'll just have to wait and see what JFE does.

Northman
04-06-2016, 10:24 AM
Apparently Kap is willing to take a pay cut for this year but not next year. But i dont know if Denver is looking to sign him for more than one year or if Kap is asking for a multi-year deal to begin with.

TXBRONC
04-06-2016, 10:49 AM
Apparently Kap is willing to take a pay cut for this year but not next year. But i dont know if Denver is looking to sign him for more than one year or if Kap is asking for a multi-year deal to begin with.

If he were to come in and light the world on fire then maybe Elway gives him contract. However, I'm not going to hold my breath.

Northman
04-06-2016, 11:01 AM
If he were to come in and light the world on fire then maybe Elway gives him contract. However, I'm going to hold my breath.

Dont hold your breath Tx, we like you too much on this board to watch you pass over a guy like Kap. lol

TXBRONC
04-06-2016, 11:07 AM
Dont hold your breath Tx, we like you too much on this board to watch you pass over a guy like Kap. lol

Hey thanks I was starting to get a little light headed.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-06-2016, 03:20 PM
LAGUNA HILLS, Calif — Mark Sanchez wastes no time worrying about whether the Broncos will trade for San Francisco quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Early Wednesday morning, he was too busy throwing punches, roundhouse kicks and performing tuck jumps while wearing a 40-pound weighted vest near his offseason hometown.

From the moment the Broncos acquired Sanchez — "I still can't believe it," he said — he has watched film and trained relentlessly to put himself in the best position to secure the starting quarterback job.

"Listen, I don't care who is there, what is going on right now. They are going to give me a fair shake, that's all I can ask for, a fair shot. I am good. Let's go. I will bet on myself and compete my butt off," Sanchez said before his workout. "I will be friendly and professional with whoever is there. But I want this bad. Really bad. I want what they experienced last year."

Sanchez, 29, has attempted to microwave his transition by spending time at the Broncos facility, even though he's not allowed to talk with the coaches. With the help of receivers Emmanuel Sanders and Demaryius Thomas, Sanchez put together a passing camp — Broncos Beach — at Mission Viejo High School to gain familiarity with his teammates. He knows nothing is guaranteed, but he wants to maximize his opportunity.

"One, it's just to be around each other. That's important. It sounds like they have that family atmosphere in Denver. They talk about the locker room and it sounds fun. It's because of stuff like this," Sanchez said. "They get together in the offseason, and make sacrifices with their time and their money and travel to do that. Emmanuel and Demaryius were awesome, saying, 'Let me call so and so.' They've been great."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29733648/mark-sanchez-not-worried-about-possible-competition-from

Northman
04-06-2016, 03:23 PM
You mean Sanchez wont want to retire because of a little competition? Thats good news.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-06-2016, 03:30 PM
You mean Sanchez wont want to retire because of a little competition? Thats good news.

I sure hope Mark does not request a trade because he does not want to play in Osweiler's shadow :D

Northman
04-06-2016, 03:34 PM
I sure hope Mark does not request a trade because he does not want to play in Osweiler's shadow :D

Lmao, Nice!

Simple Jaded
04-06-2016, 11:36 PM

Hiyoh!

pnbronco
04-07-2016, 12:14 AM
Reading these articles makes me want him to do well even more. He seems like a nice guy and just wants a chance to compete...

wayninja
04-07-2016, 01:04 AM

Your staunch devotion to posting raw information belies how awesome this (rare) comment is.

BroncoJoe
04-08-2016, 07:07 AM
Sanchez sure seems like he is doing and saying all the right things.

artie_dale
04-08-2016, 11:08 AM
Reading these articles makes me want him to do well even more. He seems like a nice guy and just wants a chance to compete...

I honestly believe the bad rap he had was due to having to play for Rex Ryan. I remember seeing Sanchez in interviews after a loss and he was biting his tongue. Rex Ryan creates more drama than there really is. Rex Ryan's big mouth is what amplified the expectations of Sanchez and the butt fumble happened. He and the Jets had a big ole target on their back leading up to that all because Rex Ryan doesn't know when to shut up.

He's away from that now and I think we all get to see a different side of him.

TXBRONC
04-08-2016, 05:43 PM
I don't see Sanchez as a long term answer but I think it's possible for him to play well enough for Denver to be successful.

Simple Jaded
04-09-2016, 09:22 AM
I don't see Sanchez as a long term answer but I think it's possible for him to play well enough for Denver to be successful.

He's in his contract season so, with all the $18MM contracts flying around in FA, the more success he has the less likely it gets that he's Denver's longterm answer.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-15-2016, 04:56 PM
Troy Renck Retweeted
Denver Post Broncos ‏@PostBroncos 3h3 hours ago

What you need to know about new #Broncos quarterback Mark Sanchez http://dpo.st/1T9GL1Q

by @TroyRenck

video - Troy spoke with Mark a few days ago

TXBRONC
04-18-2016, 07:15 AM
He's in his contract season so, with all the $18MM contracts flying around in FA, the more success he has the less likely it gets that he's Denver's longterm answer.

He's more likely to get it than Fitzpatrick but it still will require him have an eye popping but doubt that will happen.

NightTerror218
04-18-2016, 11:39 AM
Time to see what he can do in OTA. I forgot that in NY he always had a different OC.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-18-2016, 12:45 PM
The Mark Sanchez comeback story has been written over and over in different forms since he was selected with the No. 5 overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.

If nothing else, the veteran quarterback has been forced to become a politician of sorts, though it isn't really his fault. His time in New York flamed out due to a constant shift in offensive theory, a deconstruction of a veteran offense and an executive staff that did not replenish the well with any first-round draft picks. Sanchez might have been a better player if his tenure was handled differently, and if he played for a different head coach.

"Coming to the Denver Broncos, this is a gift-wrapped opportunity. I believe in fate and destiny," Sanchez recently told The Denver Post. "There's no excuse. I need to take full advantage. There's nothing more important in my life than this."

Part of this feels rehearsed. Sanchez was brutally picked apart in New York for just about every aspect of his personality -- again, in no way was this his fault -- and so sound bites like these tend to be the safest and smartest way to go. It's what people want to hear. But Sanchez might be right about one thing: fate could be on his side.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000653670/article/mark-sanchez-nothing-more-important-than-broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
04-18-2016, 12:46 PM
from same article:

Sanchez, for his part, has improved since his time with the Jets. The largest knock on his game, decision making and accuracy, improved in some aspects under a better scheme in Philadelphia. Sanchez's completion percentage alone jumped from 54.3 percent to 64.1.

Kubiak's system also protects quarterbacks and focuses on the run. It can elevate play (clearly) even when the player behind center isn't at his best.

So maybe, after all the time we've spent writing about the Broncos' quarterbacking situation, the answer has been there all along. Maybe it really is a gift-wrapped opportunity.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000653670/article/mark-sanchez-nothing-more-important-than-broncos

tomjonesrocks
04-18-2016, 01:42 PM
It's looking more and more like he's the guy for next season as its making less and less sense for Denver to go QB in round 1 with Lynch long gone and now perhaps even Cook gone.

The chips just did not fall right this year at QB for Denver and I'd rather just go BPA across the board and accept its going to be Sanchez or perhaps Kaep.

BroncoJoe
04-18-2016, 01:49 PM
Mark Sanchez!!!!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/JoeArthur/Fireworks-01-june.gifhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/JoeArthur/Trophy-01-june.gifhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/JoeArthur/Fireworks-02-june.gif

:championship:

TXBRONC
04-18-2016, 01:56 PM
Mark Sanchez!!!!

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/JoeArthur/Fireworks-01-june.gifhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/JoeArthur/Trophy-01-june.gifhttp://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b48/JoeArthur/Fireworks-02-june.gif

:championship:

Thanks for helping me stay positive.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-18-2016, 02:30 PM
I'm hoping that Mark is not only the starting QB, but also hoping he does great.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-18-2016, 03:34 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- First impressions count, and according to wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders, quarterback Mark Sanchez has excelled at them.

"A great impression," Sanders said when asked about the Broncos' newest quarterback Monday following the first day of team-organized offseason conditioning work and meetings with coaches.

For the next two months, the Broncos will go through four phases of the offseason program, culminating with organized team activities in Phases III and IV.

But Sanders, Sanchez and other skill-position players got a head start two weeks ago, working on their own in Orange County, Calif., by invitation from the Broncos' newest quarterback.

Sanchez has been texting the back-to-back 1,000-yard receiver "all the time," Sanders said, building a working relationship and a friendship that can be the building block for on-field chemistry and timing.

"I can tell that he wants to be a leader on this team," Sanders said. "He wants to be the quarterback. He wants to be the guy."

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Emmanuel-Sanders-Mark-Sanchez-made-a-great-first-impression-after-joining-Broncos/20dfcb2f-f3ca-4b22-9ccc-92cc310c428a

slim
04-18-2016, 03:51 PM
The Sanchez train is leaving the station!

Valar Morghulis
04-18-2016, 04:00 PM

I'm on board

Davii
04-18-2016, 04:20 PM

Toot toot!

tomjonesrocks
04-18-2016, 04:39 PM
I'm on board

I want a Sanchez tattoo

MOtorboat
04-18-2016, 04:41 PM
I want a Sanchez tattoo

Do you like feet?

TXBRONC
04-18-2016, 05:21 PM

Scoot over Slim.

slim
04-18-2016, 05:22 PM
Scoot over Slim.

Plenty of room for everyone.

Timmy!
04-18-2016, 05:46 PM

*runs into ass of other train, derails*

In all honesty the kid seems to realize he's got a chance to be the guy here, and I think has the right skill set to run a full Kubes style offense.

slim
04-18-2016, 05:48 PM
*runs into ass of other train, derails*

In all honesty the kid seems to realize he's got a chance to be the guy here, and I think has the right skill set to run a full Kubes style offense.

He seems to have the right attitude.

Timmy!
04-18-2016, 05:51 PM
He seems to have the right attitude.

Indeed. If it translates to success on the field we are in good shape. Imagine if we actually had an offense? :btb'samericaeagleboner:

TXBRONC
04-18-2016, 06:35 PM
Indeed. If it translates to success on the field we are in good shape. Imagine if we actually had an offense? :btb'samericaeagleboner:

If Kubiak can get the line fixed the offense should be better.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-18-2016, 06:47 PM
Plenty of room for everyone.

Count me in.

TXBRONC
04-18-2016, 07:22 PM
Count me in.

There is free seat right next to me. :D

Simple Jaded
04-18-2016, 07:41 PM

It just needs some depth and some good luck with injuries, imo, TX. I wouldn't mind a young LT prospect in the draft, as high as the 1st round even, but I think the OL on paper is vastly improved (not saying much, but still).

NightTerror218
04-18-2016, 10:57 PM
It just needs some depth and some good luck with injuries, imo, TX. I wouldn't mind a young LT prospect in the draft, as high as the 1st round even, but I think the OL on paper is vastly improved (not saying much, but still).

3 new starts next season.....how is that improved from how bad it was. Okung is p4o bowl caliber player.

Simple Jaded
04-19-2016, 12:11 AM
3 new starts next season.....how is that improved from how bad it was. Okung is p4o bowl caliber player.

They were down to their 4th string LT at times last season, I think they're due for some good karma on the OL.

underrated29
04-19-2016, 12:13 AM
They were down to their 4th string LT at times last season, I think they're due for some good karma on the OL.

Technically 5th.
Clady, tysam,Harris,schofield,polumbus.

Simple Jaded
04-19-2016, 12:25 AM
Technically 5th.
Clady, tysam,Harris,schofield,polumbus.

True, forgot about Schofield, so they're OVER-due for some good karma.

artie_dale
04-19-2016, 11:32 AM
I'm pulling for Sanchez to rebound and be successful for us.

I honestly believe that the root of Mark Sanchez's bad rap were due to Rex Ryan (both his mouth and his time invested in his defenses). Rex Ryan made the expectations for the Jets (and Mark Sanchez) extremely high and when they failed to meet those expectations, both Rex Ryan and especially Mark Sanchez got beat up by that fan base and the NY media. Most would crumble in that situation (a big mouth coach and the pressure to appease the fans & media).

I think he already has a great work ethic and is physically capable of being a productive QB. My only concern is whether he can grasp Kubiak's offense (fricken Vernon Davis couldn't as a TE). I'm looking forward to seeing it all unfold.

Cugel
04-19-2016, 12:13 PM
Quote Originally Posted by TXBRONC View Post

How could it not be better without Michael Schofield starting? :laugh:

They dumped Evan Mathis, Ryan Harris, and Louis Vasquez who all started. Backup T Tyler Polumbus just retired after nobody wanted him.

Addition by subtraction would tell you that it will be worlds better. Russell Okung might not be great, but he's not Ryan Harris. Max Garcia is no longer a rookie, and Matt Paradis isn't starting his first NFL season. They really liked Ty Sambrailo before he got hurt, and he might move inside to G. They picked up Donald Stevenson who is a huge upgrade over Michael Scofield.

This is the 2nd year in the offensive system. Things will be better. Even if Sanchez played as badly as Manning did throughout much of the season the offense would still be better. If Sanchez doesn't turn the ball over 19 times it will be a lot better. If the OL can block effectively in the run game they could be a top 15 scoring offense, and that's really all they need.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
04-19-2016, 12:15 PM
Cugel -

Okung is one of the 5 best tackles in football.

BroncoJoe
04-19-2016, 12:16 PM

I honestly believe that the root of Mark Sanchez's bad rap were due to Rex Ryan (both his mouth and his time invested in his defenses). Rex Ryan made the expectations for the Jets (and Mark Sanchez) extremely high and when they failed to meet those expectations, both Rex Ryan and especially Mark Sanchez got beat up by that fan base and the NY media. Most would crumble in that situation (a big mouth coach and the pressure to appease the fans & media).

I think he already has a great work ethic and is physically capable of being a productive QB. My only concern is whether he can grasp Kubiak's offense (fricken Vernon Davis couldn't as a TE). I'm looking forward to seeing it all unfold.

This. 100%.

Simple Jaded
04-19-2016, 01:17 PM
I wonder if Sampro can play C, he's so athletic.

:D

slim
04-19-2016, 01:24 PM
Count me in.

Welcome aboard!

FYI - the bar car is pants optional.

BroncoJoe
04-19-2016, 02:35 PM
Welcome aboard!

FYI - the bar car is pants optional.

Carol is definitely NOT Hillary...

The Glue Factory
04-19-2016, 02:43 PM

I think he already has a great work ethic and is physically capable of being a productive QB. My only concern is whether he can grasp Kubiak's offense (fricken Vernon Davis couldn't as a TE). I'm looking forward to seeing it all unfold .

AND he doesn't fear playing in the shadow of Manning or Elway.

artie_dale
04-19-2016, 02:49 PM

I like a QB who likes a challenge. Brock didn't want that challenge. Oh well.

Simple Jaded
04-19-2016, 04:40 PM

I love this.

By avoiding their shadow he forever tied himself to their shadow. That is part of the legacy he's apparently so worried about, that and the fact that he got butthurt over losing a starting job that was never his.

Buff
04-20-2016, 03:41 PM
I love this.

By avoiding their shadow he forever tied himself to their shadow. That is part of the legacy he's apparently so worried about, that and the fact that he got butthurt over losing a starting job that was never his.

I appreciate this narrative and want to subscribe to it... But it's possible he just wanted the extra $7 mil too.

Davii
04-20-2016, 04:03 PM
I appreciate this narrative and want to subscribe to it... But it's possible he just wanted the extra $7 mil too.

I'm with you Buff, however, if money were the main motivator he would've given Elway the chance to match.

Denver Native (Carol)
04-20-2016, 04:10 PM
Owner: Texans allow Brock Osweiler to get out of Peyton Manning's shadow
By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com
March 22, 2016 8:46 am ET

Brock Osweiler is the man the Texans have identified to save the franchise. That's the implication, anyway. After passing on Blake Bortles two years ago, and stumbling their way through last season with the likes of Brian Hoyer and Brandon Weeden, the organization finally came to the same conclusion as the rest of us: Offensive consistency is impossible without a franchise quarterback.

To that point, the Texans gave Osweiler a four-year, $72 million deal earlier this month, and in the process, left a gaping hole at the position in Denver, where Osweiler was pegged to succeed Peyton Manning. But a confluence of events changed those plans, including an opportunity for Osweiler to blaze his own path in a Peyton-free setting.

"I guess the thing that really helped us is that he does like our offense, and coach O'Brien gives the quarterback a little more leeway at the line of scrimmage and all quarterbacks like that," Texans owner Bob McNair said at the NFL owners meetings in Boca Raton, via ESPN.com. "I think that helped. [B]And then of course he had played behind Peyton [Manning] and with [executive vice president of football operations/general manager] John Elway there [in Denver]. Their shadows were quite large. He was still going to be under that and compared to them. He has a chance to be a real hero in Houston. And we've got a good ball club so I think all those things entered into it."

McNair echoes a report that circulated in the days after Osweiler spurned the Broncos for the Texans: Playing in Manning's shadow, and the opportunity for a fresh start elsewhere, "were factors" in his decision to leave Denver.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25526387/owner-texans-allow-brock-osweiler-to-get-out-of-peytons-shadow - rest

Buff
04-20-2016, 04:28 PM
I'm with you Buff, however, if money were the main motivator he would've given Elway the chance to match.

In fairness to Brock and Jimmy Sexton - we'd already low balled him twice. Our initial offer was low, then Sexton gave us an opportunity to bring it up once it became clear that our offer wasn't competitive. Which we did, but it was still $7 million shy of Houston's offer.

If we take our own bias out of it, it was sort of a no-brainer from a business standpoint. I definitely believe playing in the shadows of Peyton and Elway were factors - but I think $$ was the ultimate deciding factor.

BroncoJoe
04-20-2016, 04:33 PM
He wasn't low balled. The Texans offered him a ridiculous amount of money based on his experience. I'm glad Elway passed.

I don't blame Brock, but he is absolutely DEAD TO ME.

Buff
04-20-2016, 04:38 PM
He wasn't low balled. The Texans offered him a ridiculous amount of money based on his experience. I'm glad Elway passed.

I don't blame Brock, but he is absolutely DEAD TO ME.

Fair - I don't think he is worth what Houston paid for him... But given what his actual market value ended up being, our offer was basically a lowball.

BroncoJoe
04-20-2016, 04:41 PM
Fair - I don't think he is worth what Houston paid for him... But given what his actual market value ended up being, our offer was basically a lowball.

Our offer was what he was worth.

MOtorboat
04-20-2016, 04:53 PM
He was in no way lowballed.

Buff
04-20-2016, 05:16 PM
Our offer was what he was worth.

No, he is worth what the Texans are paying him by definition. That's how free markets work. I wouldn't have given him that contract - but they did, and that makes our offer a lowball.

He was in no way lowballed.

Substantiate your opinion, cugel.

MOtorboat
04-20-2016, 05:19 PM
No, he is worth what the Texans are paying him by definition. That's how free markets work. I wouldn't have given him that contract - but they did, and that makes our offer a lowball.

Remind me of his initial offer, $12 million?

The highest anyone received with his type of experience and situation was $8. He was in no way low balled.

BroncoJoe
04-20-2016, 05:37 PM

Then I agree with you that capitalism sucks. Someone may think he's worth that amount, but he is not. In fact, I think he's going to be a bust.

That's below the belt.

The Glue Factory
04-20-2016, 06:05 PM
Remind me of his initial offer, $12 million?

The highest anyone received with his type of experience and situation was $8. He was in no way low balled.

And something of a bidding war escalated his compensation above the market value; a war that set a new level for the market for QBs in the NFL. That's how 1300 sq ft homes in San Jose, CA ended up costing $600k+ 10 years ago and another 300k since.