PDA

View Full Version : Kiszla: Why the Broncos are better off without Peyton Manning, Brock Osweiler

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2016, 09:40 PM
The biggest hole in Colorado? It used to be the Royal Gorge. Now it's the void the Broncos have at quarterback.

But do not cry for general manager John Elway. Yes, he's going to need a Plan B, because Peyton Manning has retired to the golf course, while Brock Osweiler took the stupid money from Houston and ran.

The Broncos, however, never were going to repeat as Super Bowl champs with either a 40-year-old Manning or the inexperienced Osweiler as their quarterback in 2016.

Let me make this clear: Denver is better off without them.

Give me Colin Kaepernick, Robert Griffin III or Ryan Fitzpatrick under center for the Broncos. Any of them could be a smarter option for the Broncos than a broken-down Manning or an overpriced Osweiler, who will make the Texans regret plunking down a four-year, $72 million contract on a player with seven NFL starts and zero awareness in the pocket.

After saying goodbye to Manning and telling Osweiler to get lost during a 48-hour span that sent tremors throughout Broncos Country, Elway is staring into the abyss. But let me take you back in the hot tub time machine to Cleveland, circa 1987, when the Broncos needed to go 98 yards in the AFC championship game. As guard Keith Bishop said at the time: "We got 'em right where we want 'em."

Yes, Elway has been forced to scramble to find a quarterback worthy of linebacker Von Miller and the league's No. 1 defense. But scramble is precisely what Elway does best.

So who's the next Denver quarterback?

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/kiszla/ci_29619867/kiszla-broncos-better-without-qbs

Northman
03-10-2016, 09:49 PM
Yea, the moves so far this offseason did get me thinking that maybe Kubes wants to scout and bring in his own guys and guys he thinks is a better fit for his system. Maybe thats why we arent pushing so hard to keep some of these gentleman or overpay them for their services.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2016, 10:23 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 9h

Broncos source: "We are in no rush,'' in targeting QB. Team is still "exploring all options." #9news #9sports

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2016, 10:35 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- So, what's next?

On the second day of the new league year, that is the question on the minds of Broncos fans around the globe after Brock Osweiler left to join the Houston Texans on a four-year contract Wednesday.

Trevor Siemian is on the current roster, and will factor into the Broncos' plans. But he's only part of the equation, and he will be surrounded by two or three other quarterbacks once the Broncos begin organized team activities in the spring.

But who might they be? Here are some possibilities:

VIA THE OPEN MARKET:

rest - http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/What-comes-next-at-quarterback/4fceb8a7-209b-4741-8a6a-3f282f890ad8?utm_content=buffer4165b&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

scott.475
03-10-2016, 10:56 PM
I know it's a little rough to watch, but I honestly much prefer this approach to Shanahan's throw money at big names, often head cases, and hope something works. I don't know what kind of analytics Elway is using, but it certainly seems to be much more calculated. I like that he seems to have a set value for players, and won't lose his head going over that to retain them.

Everybody here knows, too, mad money always comes flooding into Superbowl winning players once FA starts, so none of these losses have surprised me.

Shazam!
03-10-2016, 11:00 PM
They may be in a better position at QB.

I'd take Kap before a broken Peyton and a healthy Osweiler in 2016.

Joel
03-11-2016, 09:08 AM
Yea, the moves so far this offseason did get me thinking that maybe Kubes wants to scout and bring in his own guys and guys he thinks is a better fit for his system. Maybe thats why we arent pushing so hard to keep some of these gentleman or overpay them for their services.
That was pretty much expected the moment we hired Kubiak, and began when we showed so many awful offensive linemen the door last offseason. Every incoming coach wants to stand or fall on "his" guys rather than the ones that got his predecessor fired. That's true nowhere more than the all-important QB position, especially for a former QB who's made his name coaching mediocre (or worse) QBs into Pro Bowlers. And it's always a race to find "his" QB before "his" CONTRACT expires.

A year ago I said it was even money that our next franchise QB hadn't even been DRAFTED yet; how are those odds now? It was only close because Oz fit what Kubiak likes to do and was young enough to be molded into the kind of QB Kubiak wants, but Mannings "should I stay or should I go...?" dance had already made Oz' presence dubious even before the QB shuffle at seasons end. Smart money's on a single season placeholder while our HoF QB GM and his backup QB HC draft "their" guy.

If that means trading up/waiting for a good QB draft class, that's what they'll do. Getting the RIGHT QB for the next DECADE is too critical to settle on simply A QB.

MasterShake
03-11-2016, 09:22 AM
I know it's a little rough to watch, but I honestly much prefer this approach to Shanahan's throw money at big names, often head cases, and hope something works. I don't know what kind of analytics Elway is using, but it certainly seems to be much more calculated. I like that he seems to have a set value for players, and won't lose his head going over that to retain them.

Everybody here knows, too, mad money always comes flooding into Superbowl winning players once FA starts, so none of these losses have surprised me.

Great point. Its similar to what the Patriots do (regardless of my hatred for them) in cutting players when they get too pricey and just filling those positions with relative ease. I think you have to be cutthroat and rely on your coaches and organization to get the job done. Year in and year out it seems the Pats keep winning when everyone questions their free agent moves. I think it shows how a good system and not overpaying for talent breeds success. The teams that always seem to make a splash in Free Agency just seem to spin their wheels then get stuck with overpaid baggage. I kind of like this lean approach, but I still think we need a good QB to shore things up. I would hate to waste this defense on some scrub under center.

Hardwired
03-11-2016, 10:00 AM
I've been watching the "talent" going out the door and not really caring. Guys like Jackson and Trevathan did their jobs and got paid for it. Good for them. They may sink without a trace but they were Broncos when it mattered.

CJ maybe leaving is worrying but I've never been that impressed with him. He plays with heart and runs hard, when he's healthy, and our O-line didn't help our RBs any, but none of our RBs gave me a chubby to begin with. Elway may be as disgusted at the offensive chemistry and I was and wants to blow up the heart of it and start over, in an efficient way.

They had Brock for 5 years, and he studied behind MANNING for that time, and they still let him hit the open market. That's telling. I was not that sure he was The One and now we get to pick a QB that might better suit Kubes offense. Same with OL and RB positions.

As others have said, In Elway I Trust. We'll see what we put out on the field come training camp. While basking in the glow of an incredible SB win with no QB, now I'll watch the Master GM work his magic. Should be fun.

BroncoJoe
03-11-2016, 10:10 AM
Studying behind Manning doesn't really mean much because he takes to much control over practices, and the backup doesn't get any time.

See Colts, 2011. Granted, Painter was a disaster, but he did back up Manning for a full year before starting.

Hardwired
03-11-2016, 10:13 AM
Studying behind Manning doesn't really mean much because he takes to much control over practices, and the backup doesn't get any time.

See Colts, 2011. Granted, Painter was a disaster, but he did back up Manning for a full year before starting.

I thought he got more reps this season with the veterans having days off. Manning chafed at it, but Brock got some first team reps.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2016, 10:15 AM

a 6th round draft pick...rated as the 13th best QB in THAT draft.

BroncoJoe
03-11-2016, 10:40 AM
I thought he got more reps this season with the veterans having days off. Manning chafed at it, but Brock got some first team reps.

He did this year, but not the previous three.

BroncoJoe
03-11-2016, 10:41 AM
a 6th round draft pick...rated as the 13th best QB in THAT draft.

My point still stands. Studying behind Manning does not equate to being a great QB. Besides - many felt Brock in the 2nd round was a bit of a reach.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2016, 10:47 AM
My point still stands. Studying behind Manning does not equate to being a great QB. Besides - many felt Brock in the 2nd round was a bit of a reach.

Just those on the board. I read that Brock very well could have been the 1st QB taken in the following draft had he stayed and played his senior year.

BroncoJoe
03-11-2016, 05:14 PM
Just those on the board. I read that Brock very well could have been the 1st QB taken in the following draft had he stayed and played his senior year.

If "ifs" and "buts" were candy and nuts, we'd all have a merry Christmas.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2016, 05:16 PM
yeaaaaaaaaaa h