PDA

View Full Version : Four teams pursue C.J. Anderson early

Pages : [1] 2 3

artie_dale
03-09-2016, 05:25 PM
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Patriots, Dolphins, 49ers, and Bears already have expressed interest in man who currently is the best tailback on the Denver roster.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/09/four-teams-pursue-c-j-anderson-early/

Fascinating. CJ is getting some love.

What do you think, trade CJ for Kaep?

GEM
03-09-2016, 05:25 PM
My head is going to explode today.

TXBRONC
03-09-2016, 05:26 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/09/four-teams-pursue-c-j-anderson-early/

Fascinating. CJ is getting some love.

What do you think, trade CJ for Kaep?

I wouldn't. If they want to trade for a quarterback go get McCarron.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
03-09-2016, 05:27 PM
This off season just keeps getting better and better.

Northman
03-09-2016, 05:27 PM
Artie.. i love you man but you are killing me... Kaep sucks.

artie_dale
03-09-2016, 05:28 PM
My head is going to explode today.

Just watching you on here, GEM, its comical.

Sorry for the bad newses. Like I said in the Osweiller thread, this free agent stuff is like an awesome chess match.

Things we can't control = players chasing money

Things I'm syked about = what moves Elway makes

We're still gonna be fine, I assure you.

artie_dale
03-09-2016, 05:29 PM

LOL. Just looking at ways to fill some voids.

We need a decent QB more than we need CJ to reproduce what he did last season. If Kaep is a target, we'd have to trade for him anyway. I wonder how much he's due ($$$ wise).

TXBRONC
03-09-2016, 05:30 PM

I agree.

Northman
03-09-2016, 05:32 PM
LOL. Just looking at ways to fill some voids.

We need a decent QB more than we need CJ to reproduce what he did last season. If Kaep is a target, we'd have to trade for him anyway. I wonder how much he's due ($$$ wise).

I dont mind the trade of RB for QB but lets at least try and get a QB along the way. :)

GEM
03-09-2016, 05:34 PM
Just watching you on here, GEM, its comical.

Sorry for the bad newses. Like I said in the Osweiller thread, this free agent stuff is like an awesome chess match.

Things we can't control = players chasing money

Things I'm syked about = what moves Elway makes

We're still gonna be fine, I assure you.

I live to entertain. :D It's the Irish Italian blood that runs through me. I show anger pretty outwardly. No holding anything back. :D

artie_dale
03-09-2016, 06:01 PM
I dont mind the trade of RB for QB but lets at least try and get a QB along the way. :)

LOL. Touche'!

NightTerror218
03-09-2016, 06:05 PM
I live to entertain. :D It's the Irish Italian blood that runs through me. I show anger pretty outwardly. No holding anything back. :D

I guess we all like to watch GEM in different ways ;)

CoachChaz
03-09-2016, 06:06 PM

Who should we expect to get for CJ Anderson via trade?

NightTerror218
03-09-2016, 06:07 PM

He is not under contract until he signs tender so can't trade him.

CoachChaz
03-09-2016, 06:14 PM
He is not under contract until he signs tender so can't trade him.

Yeah...I get that. I thought the part that would require us to match an offer and make him available to an interested team was a given when I asked.

Northman
03-09-2016, 06:20 PM

A box of doughnuts?

Joel
03-09-2016, 07:28 PM
Hardly surprising; it's why the REAL surprise was the original round tender for an UDFA who's been to a Pro Bowl and is our projected Opening Day starter. It's not that he's irreplaceable, but he's easily worth the $2M/yr or so a 2nd round tender would've cost.

That means 31 other teams easily force us to pay MORE or get nothing: A 2nd round tender would've guaranteed us either 1) a key starter for a fair price or 2) a 2nd round pick (when we're drafting DEAD LAST) if someone made an offer we wouldn't match.

Now we either get a bidding war or nothing, and Elway's unwillingness to even invest a few million for insurance suggests which option he'll take. Too bad; I'll miss CJ more than Jackson, but it is what it is. Good news: Odds are against Oz and CJ BOTH becoming elite players for other teams. Bad news: If both DO, Elway will look like an idiot for not recognizing and keeping elite homegrown talent even after he'd already found it.

tripp
03-09-2016, 07:37 PM
I thought the sun shined out of CJ's ass in 2014. Wasn't AS impressed this past year. He flashed brilliance at the most opportune times.. but it seemed like he had a nagging injury whether it was his feet, or ribs. Wasn't an every down back. So I wouldn't be too upset if he left.

tomjonesrocks
03-09-2016, 10:32 PM
I'll be bummed to lose CJ. Think keeping him should have been a higher priority.

If he goes to NE that's just intolerable.

He'd be a terrible fit in SF so I wouldn't be worried about that spot.

Miami seems to be in the mix for everyone.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-09-2016, 10:40 PM
I'll be bummed to lose CJ. Think keeping him should have been a higher priority.

If he goes to NE that's just intolerable.

He'd be a terrible fit in SF so I wouldn't be worried about that spot.

Miami seems to be in the mix for everyone.

NE would suck. ..I can't believe they didn't at least put a 4th round tender on him.

I can't see Miami or SD shelling out much for CJ because they already have #1 backs.

NightTerror218
03-10-2016, 01:00 AM
Talk on Twitter is a bidding war may have started for him now.

Ravage!!!
03-10-2016, 01:17 AM
I don't see CJ as a talent that can't be replaced. I can understand why there wasn't a tender put on him. Why pay the RB position much money, especially when they aren't really 'top-o-the-line' talent? CJ is ok, but this wouldn't be a huge loss.

Joel
03-10-2016, 01:39 AM
I don't see CJ as a talent that can't be replaced. I can understand why there wasn't a tender put on him. Why pay the RB position much money, especially when they aren't really 'top-o-the-line' talent? CJ is ok, but this wouldn't be a huge loss.
Because CJ's WAY more talented than his line makes him look (is Manning as bad as they've made HIM look the past two years?) And because blowing off the run game results in a one-dimensional offense where your starting QB can only manage 7 games before he's too hurt to play and your backup can only manage 7 more before HE'S too hurt to play. Also, a 4-man rush chases a QB having the best season in history all over the field while blowing you out of the SB 43-8.

THAT'S why.

ShaneFalco
03-10-2016, 01:42 AM
CJ is not replaceable. The guy has superb vision and agility.

Are you kidding?

You guys act like there is 5 todd gurley running backs just waiting to be picked up in draft.

DenBronx
03-10-2016, 02:16 AM
Everythings a comparison to what the Rams do.

ShaneFalco
03-10-2016, 02:18 AM
Everythings a comparison to what the Rams do.

5 adrian peterson s.

There you can be happy now.

ShaneFalco
03-10-2016, 04:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65jhNNvGfWs

Dapper Dan
03-10-2016, 04:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZIJ2YNT5ME

ShaneFalco
03-10-2016, 04:55 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZIJ2YNT5ME

he runs on his tippy toes

Dreadnought
03-10-2016, 06:19 AM

I really think that is "whistling past the graveyard" Rav. I think he would be every bit of a huge loss. He practically carried the offense over the last third of the season and through the playoffs.

spikerman
03-10-2016, 07:06 AM
I know I'll feel differently during the season, but right now I just don't care about losing these guys. Denver won the SB and I have no problem with selling out for one year to win it all. I'll bet if given the choice before last season most of us would gladly trade just about every player on the roster for a championship. The team caught lightning in a bottle and rode a historic defense to a title, but honestly, offensively most of those guys are expendable.

Dapper Dan
03-10-2016, 07:16 AM
I stand with Spike.

BroncoWave
03-10-2016, 08:17 AM
I know I'll feel differently during the season, but right now I just don't care about losing these guys. Denver won the SB and I have no problem with selling out for one year to win it all. I'll bet if given the choice before last season most of us would gladly trade just about every player on the roster for a championship. The team caught lightning in a bottle and rode a historic defense to a title, but honestly, offensively most of those guys are expendable.

No doubt. Whoever we lose, it was totally worth it. Von Miller is the only FA we absolutely HAD to keep, and I don't think Elway will let him go anywhere for a long time.

BORDERLINE
03-10-2016, 08:22 AM

And that my friends is a comment!!!! Champs mutha suckas!!!!!

Davii
03-10-2016, 08:43 AM
All depends on the numbers. We still have the right to match, but if CJ gets a large contract offer we'll be moving on. It's the unfortunate reality of free agency.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-10-2016, 08:50 AM
All depends on the numbers. We still have the right to match, but if CJ gets a large contract offer we'll be moving on. It's the unfortunate reality of free agency.

I agree, however I don't understand why they didn't tag him with at least a 5th round tender.

MNPatsFan
03-10-2016, 09:18 AM
My head is going to explode today.I'm just glad there hasn't been any further mention of chainsaws.;)

:laugh:

Davii
03-10-2016, 09:39 AM
I agree, however I don't understand why they didn't tag him with at least a 5th round tender.

Nor do I.

CoachChaz
03-10-2016, 09:51 AM

He was undrafted, so it was either a 1st round tender, 2nd round tender or the one he currently has. You can only put a draft round tender on players that were actually drafted.

NightTerror218
03-10-2016, 10:03 AM
Anderson had about 720 yards this season with 2 games over 100 yards.

He does not have the durability to be a cow bell RB.

Hillman had 860 yards with 3 hundred yards games and 4.3 yards per carry.

The 2 seem pretty equal in production.

NightTerror218
03-10-2016, 10:05 AM
He was undrafted, so it was either a 1st round tender, 2nd round tender or the one he currently has. You can only put a draft round tender on players that were actually drafted.

They can only use 1 rounder per round. They could have used a 1st round tender on CJ since 2nd was used on marshall.

CoachChaz
03-10-2016, 10:36 AM
They can only use 1 rounder per round. They could have used a 1st round tender on CJ since 2nd was used on marshall.

Correct

Ravage!!!
03-10-2016, 10:45 AM

I actually did not know this. Very interesting and certainly explains a lot over the years.

The Glue Factory
03-10-2016, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't. If they want to trade for a quarterback go get McCarron.

I would love to see that as well, but the price for McCarron may be too high AND I haven't seen anything indicating Cincy is willing to entertain trading him (but I'm not constantly trolling for football news either.)

CoachChaz
03-10-2016, 10:56 AM
I would love to see that as well, but the price for McCarron may be too high AND I haven't seen anything indicating Cincy is willing to entertain trading him (but I'm not constantly trolling for football news either.)

He's proven to be a good back-up and he's dirt cheap. His price tag will be ridiculous and rightfully so.

VonDoom
03-10-2016, 11:16 AM

I did not know this. Interesting. I still think they should have tendered Marshall at a one and CJ at a two. But given this information, they knew a two would be fine for Marshall and they took a chance on CJ.

I honestly would hate to lose CJ. I get that he's banged up a lot but dude is the definition of kicking and screaming. Remember that playoff game against the Colts where everyone, including the coaches, took the day off? CJ played his ass off that day.

VonDoom
03-10-2016, 11:24 AM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 2m2 minutes ago

Dolphins have more cap space than #Broncos. Expect a front-loaded offer sheet from Miami for C.J. Anderson to test if Denver will match.

LTC Pain
03-10-2016, 11:28 AM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 2m2 minutes ago

Dolphins have more cap space than #Broncos. Expect a front-loaded offer sheet from Miami for C.J. Anderson to test if Denver will match.

Multiple sources on Twitter state CJ is visiting the Dolphins today. CJ possibly visiting Bears and Patriots.

ShaneFalco
03-10-2016, 11:45 AM

I will be pretty upset if they do not match

ShaneFalco
03-10-2016, 11:51 AM
https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/s4pltBb35iBlrpYyfA6PTSXU4bI=/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2924184/cj.0.gif

Cant teach heart

artie_dale
03-10-2016, 12:10 PM

I will be pretty upset if they do not match

For me, it depends on how much. I like CJ, but I'm not loyal to him. I think there are potentially better backs out there (Kapri Bibbs or Juwon?). CJ saved us on occasion, but he wasn't as reliable as I'd like our RB to be.

ShaneFalco
03-10-2016, 12:14 PM
i dont how you guys can say that.

He was the best player on offense in the SB.

Northman
03-10-2016, 12:14 PM
CJ is good but replaceable.

CoachChaz
03-10-2016, 12:18 PM
Interesting stat...while Osweiler was starting, CJ averaged 5.97 yards per carry. Tops in the NFL.

artie_dale
03-10-2016, 12:21 PM
I totally forgot that Adam Gase is the HC in Miami. CJ would be reunited with him.

CoachChaz
03-10-2016, 12:22 PM
I totally forgot that Adam Gase is the HC in Miami. CJ would be reunited with him.

CJ has a lot of love for Gase

artie_dale
03-10-2016, 12:23 PM
i dont how you guys can say that.

He was the best player on offense in the SB.

Uh... do you remember how bad our offense was? Is that really a compliment?

ShaneFalco
03-10-2016, 12:23 PM
CJ has a lot of love for Gase

i do too. I think he could be a success in Miami given time.

ShaneFalco
03-10-2016, 12:24 PM
Uh... do you remember how bad our offense was? Is that really a compliment?

He had 80 yds and a td.

In the SB versus Luke K and a great D. Yes thats a compliment. That D destroyed other teams run games all season long.

artie_dale
03-10-2016, 12:24 PM
i do too. I think he could be a success in Miami given time.

Yeah, he'd be one less starter that has to learn Gase's system. Saves time and moves things along faster (he can help other players).

artie_dale
03-10-2016, 12:26 PM
He had 80 yds and a td.

In the SB versus Luke K and a great D.

Alright, I give you that (the stats do speak for themselves). But, is 80 yds in a single game that spectacular? Our offense, even in the SB, was so bland. Its no wonder those kind of stats stand out.

Against the Panther's D though, I might have to go ahead and concede. I have mixed feelings, obviously.

CoachChaz
03-10-2016, 12:28 PM
Alright, I give you that (the stats do speak for themselves). But, is 80 yds in a single game that spectacular? Our offense, even in the SB, was so bland. Its no wonder those kind of stats stand out.

Against the Panther's D though, I might have to go ahead and concede. I have mixed feelings, obviously.

Hi TD was a thing of pure will. He had to go through both Keuchly and Davis to get in the end zone.

Northman
03-10-2016, 12:31 PM

Panthers D was a bit overrated when it came to run defense to be honest. In the NFCCG Johnson had a great game running despite the Cardinals getting the snot kicked out of them. Its why i knew we would have success running on the them in the SB. Like i said, CJ is a good back but nothing to break the bank for.

artie_dale
03-10-2016, 12:31 PM
Hi TD was a thing of pure will. He had to go through both Keuchly and Davis to get in the end zone.

But, the only reason he had the opportunity was because the Defense caused a turn over inside the 10 yd line (I think it was around there). CJ didn't get us to that point. He just took advantage of the opportunity (it was a grind to get in the EZ though).

tripp
03-10-2016, 12:36 PM
CJ is not replaceable. The guy has superb vision and agility.

Are you kidding?

You guys act like there is 5 todd gurley running backs just waiting to be picked up in draft.

Give us Todd Gurley for a 5th rounder, Britton Colquitt, and a jar full of Brock Osweiler's tears when he got benched vs SD.

GEM
03-10-2016, 12:50 PM
Looks like CJ Anderson is in Miami.

http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/cj-anderson-visit-miami-dolphins/76111659

The expectation is Anderson will sign an offer sheet with the Dolphins later today. The offer sheet will include contract terms. That offer sheet will then be sent to the Broncos – hopefully not via fax! – who will then have five days to match the Dolphins’ offer.

If the Broncos match, Anderson remains Denver’s starting running back. The strategy for the Dolphins is try and structure their contract in a way that will make it difficult for the Broncos to match. As in, put a lot of money up front.

:sigh: This offseason sucks.

BroncoJoe
03-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Honestly, I love CJ and his attitude. But he just isn't worth more than the $1.1 million we tagged him at.

Lancane
03-10-2016, 01:00 PM
We'll sign Arian Foster and draft a back, instant improvement!

ShaneFalco
03-10-2016, 01:02 PM
Panthers D was a bit overrated when it came to run defense to be honest. In the NFCCG Johnson had a great game running despite the Cardinals getting the snot kicked out of them. Its why i knew we would have success running on the them in the SB. Like i said, CJ is a good back but nothing to break the bank for.
how is 2m-3m per year breaking the bank?

TXBRONC
03-10-2016, 01:07 PM
I really think that is "whistling past the graveyard" Rav. I think he would be every bit of a huge loss. He practically carried the offense over the last third of the season and through the playoffs.

More than anything else is that it makes the list laundry list of player to replace longer.

slim
03-10-2016, 01:13 PM
how is 2m-3m per year breaking the bank?

Hillman was the starting RB nearly all year. Think about that for a minute.

I like CJ, but let's not get carried away.

Timmy!
03-10-2016, 01:16 PM
Should have tendered him a little higher. 2 mil would have been OK, but I'm sure Miami is going to offer much more and we won't match. Soooo we need a qb, 2 rbs, and a TE.

slim
03-10-2016, 01:17 PM
Should have tendered him a little higher. 2 mil would have been OK, but I'm sure Miami is going to offer much more and we won't match. Soooo we need a qb, 2 rbs, and a TE.

A DE and a LB.

Timmy!
03-10-2016, 01:20 PM
A DE and a LB.

I was only counting offense, and think we are OK with Davis or Nelson at LB.

slim
03-10-2016, 01:21 PM
I was only counting offense, and think we are OK with Davis or Nelson at LB.

I like Nelson too.

You realize Arian Foster is coming to town, right?

tripp
03-10-2016, 02:01 PM
I'm a little excited to see Ronnie Hillman go

NightTerror218
03-10-2016, 03:02 PM
One need 1 RB and 1 FB.

Bibbs is getting giddy

tripp
03-10-2016, 04:46 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 15s15 seconds ago
Dolphins signed Broncos restricted free-agent running back CJ Anderson to a 4-year offer sheet. Denver has 5 days to match or lose.

tripp
03-10-2016, 04:48 PM
Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 2m2 minutes ago
Lindsay Jones Retweeted Mike Klis
How much that offer is for -- and how it is structured -- will determine if Broncos are willing to match.

Jon Heath ‏@JonHeathNFL 16s16 seconds ago
If C.J. Anderson is out, could Alfred Morris be in?

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2016, 04:57 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 2m

Chances CJ Anderson stays with #Broncos decreased significantly with #Dolphins signing him to offer sheet.

tripp
03-10-2016, 04:58 PM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 4m4 minutes ago
Miami's offer sheet to RFA running back CJ Anderson is worth $18M over 4years. Broncos in a bit of a crunch w/no QB and Von deal looming

ShaneFalco
03-10-2016, 04:58 PM

BroncoJoe
03-10-2016, 04:59 PM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 4m4 minutes ago
Miami's offer sheet to RFA running back CJ Anderson is worth $18M over 4years. Broncos in a bit of a crunch w/no QB and Von deal looming

What??? $4+ million/year for CJ?

They've lost their minds.

ShaneFalco
03-10-2016, 05:00 PM
Team is officially getting gutted by the entire league.

really pissed they did not sign him to a 2.2 tender.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2016, 05:01 PM
It's being reported CJ's deal is worth 18 million

tripp
03-10-2016, 05:02 PM
Jason La Canfora ‏@JasonLaCanfora 2m2 minutes ago
Hearing the CJ Anderson offer sheet is fairly front-loaded as well. Broncos have 5 days to match or the RB is a Dolphin

We're being pillaged by the NFL.

dogfish
03-10-2016, 05:05 PM
A DE and a LB.

and a couple of backup safeties, and hopefully another return specialist. . .

G_Money
03-10-2016, 05:07 PM
4 years and 18 mil, with 10 guaranteed is pretty steep. John should have tendered CJ higher - we might still have lost him but would have gotten better things for him.

I expect CJ to be gone. Welcome to the active roster, Mr. Bibbs. Let's see who else joins you there. Guessing we'll be taking a back in the draft too.

VonDoom
03-10-2016, 05:08 PM
Could have had him for 2 million, now we need 4.5. I doubt we match it.

ShaneFalco
03-10-2016, 05:08 PM
kind of furious right now.

tripp
03-10-2016, 05:09 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 37s38 seconds ago
If #Broncos wanted to keep CJ Anderson they would have placed 2nd round tender on him. Original tender made him vulnerable

Obviously wanted Brandon Marshall more

dogfish
03-10-2016, 05:09 PM
4 years and 18 mil, with 10 guaranteed is pretty steep. John should have tendered CJ higher - we might still have lost him but would have gotten better things for him.

I expect CJ to be gone. Welcome to the active roster, Mr. Bibbs. Let's see who else joins you there. Guessing we'll be taking a back in the draft too.

with only thompson and bibbs left, i'm guessing we might sign a veteran back at some point, as well as drafting one. . . we reportedly were interested in bilal powell, but the jets are re-signing him. . . of course, arian foster is now lurking. . .

artie_dale
03-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Congrats CJ. Thanks for all the hard running. I'm happy for you and Gase. I hope you don't skip a beat in Miami.

I'm pretty sure Elway wanted to unload CJ and the low tender was one way of guaranteeing it (unlike his tender for Brandon Marshall, who is still plenty productive). Glad CJ got the big bucks he wanted.

Ravage!!!
03-10-2016, 05:11 PM

I think we could have ONLY tendered him with a 1st round pick. It was either the first,or the tender he got. So tht wasn't going to happen.

Davii
03-10-2016, 05:13 PM
We weren't taking the chance on paying him 3 mil per year as we would have had to with a first round tender. We're definitely not paying him 4 million/yr. I trust our talent evaluators to know whether he is a high earner or someone whose production can be replaced for much less money.

Congrats on that contract CJ, that's great money man.

Cugel
03-10-2016, 05:16 PM
Well, if Elway anticipated the insane amount C.J. Anderson got he should have given him a 2nd round tender so the Broncos would have picked up a draft pick from Miami. Of course, in that case Miami might not have signed him, so they would be stuck with him. But the 2nd round tender amount wasn't huge.

Arguably the biggest name this year in the RFA class belongs to Broncos running back C.J. Anderson. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/08/nfl-sets-restricted-free-agency-tenders-for-2016/)When the market opens on Wednesday, he’s expected to draw significant interest, given that Denver opted to save roughly $900,000 by not tying a second-round pick to Anderson.

They really didn't save a lot of money by giving him the low-round tender. Unless they really didn't want to keep him they should definitely have given him the 2nd round tender.

I'm just shell shocked at all the FAs leaving Denver. The Seahawks didn't lose this many key starters after their SB win. They managed to lock up a bunch of their own FA ahead of time.

C.J. can be replaced. He's a RB, but still it's just an endless series of blows to the Broncos roster.

Cugel
03-10-2016, 05:17 PM
We weren't taking the chance on paying him 3 mil per year as we would have had to with a first round tender. We're definitely not paying him 4 million/yr. I trust our talent evaluators to know whether he is a high earner or someone whose production can be replaced for much less money.

Congrats on that contract CJ, that's great money man.

They'd have been crazy to give him a 1st round tender. Second round.

dogfish
03-10-2016, 05:18 PM
with virtually all our other FAs jetting, would it be too much to ask for them to find a few million to bring back david bruton?

sheesh. . .

artie_dale
03-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Well, if Elway anticipated the insane amount C.J. Anderson got he should have given him a 2nd round tender so the Broncos would have picked up a draft pick from Miami. Of course, in that case Miami might not have signed him, so they would be stuck with him. But the 2nd round tender amount wasn't huge.

They really didn't save a lot of money by giving him the low-round tender. Unless they really didn't want to keep him they should definitely have given him the 2nd round tender.

I'm just shell shocked at all the FAs leaving Denver. The Seahawks didn't lose this many key starters after their SB win. They managed to lock up a bunch of their own FA ahead of time.

C.J. can be replaced. He's a RB, but still it's just an endless series of blows to the Broncos roster.

Dang Cuugs. You taught me a lot today... about you.

You are arguing that we could have gotten a higher draft pick had Elway placed a higher tender on CJ. Was CJ worth more than Brandon Marshall???? If not, giving Brandon Marshall the 2nd round tender is a no brainer. Marshal is closer to a 1st round tender than CJ by a land slide. But, in order to not over shoot and be stuck over paying B-Marsh, the 2nd rnd tender makes the most sense. CJ is not worth the risk of over paying.

You really do not like Elway, do you?

Ravage!!!
03-10-2016, 05:20 PM

We already used our 2nd round tender on Marshall. So that wasn't available for us to use.

BroncoWave
03-10-2016, 05:23 PM
Team is officially getting gutted by the entire league.

really pissed they did not sign him to a 2.2 tender.

We gave the second round tender to Marshall. You can't give two players the same tender. Would have had to have been a 1st or a 3rd rounder.

BroncoWave
03-10-2016, 05:25 PM
Teams are losing their minds overpaying players in free agency this year. Glad Elway is not doing the same. That is a flat out ridiculous contract for CJ. He's worth half that.

LTC Pain
03-10-2016, 05:29 PM
I fully expect Elway to add to our RB corps through FA, draft or UDFA. Not worried about this in the least.

Timmy!
03-10-2016, 05:35 PM
Bye CJ. This one upsets me way more than Brock. Dropped the ball on the tender. CJ would have been worth 2 mil to Denver, but now he's a dolphin.

Ravage!!!
03-10-2016, 05:38 PM
We gave the second round tender to Marshall. You can't give two players the same tender. Would have had to have been a 1st or a 3rd rounder.

There isn't a 3rd. 1, 2nd, or the one CJ got.

Ravage!!!
03-10-2016, 05:38 PM
Bye CJ. This one upsets me way more than Brock. Dropped the ball on the tender. CJ would have been worth 2 mil to Denver, but now he's a dolphin.

HOW did they drop the ball on the tender???

weazel
03-10-2016, 05:41 PM
why are people upset about this? It's CJ Anderson, not Barry Sanders. RB's are not worth big money anymore, definitely not mediocre ones. I really think people need to stop falling in love with the players.

Timmy!
03-10-2016, 05:46 PM
HOW did they drop the ball on the tender???

By not giving him a 3rd, which would have made his salary something like 2mil a year, which I think CJ is worth. Of course I'm coming from the angle of wanting to keep him at a reasonable price. The FO obviously didn't feel the same. One of the few moves I disagree with Elway about, but its not like CJ isn't replaceable, I will just miss his heart. The fact that we could have kept him for only 2 mil stings, to me at least.

BroncoWave
03-10-2016, 05:47 PM
There isn't a 3rd. 1, 2nd, or the one CJ got.

In that case we DEFINITELY made the right call on his tender. No way he was worth the first round one.

BroncoWave
By not giving him a 3rd, which would have made his salary something like 2mil a year, which I think CJ is worth. Of course I'm coming from the angle of wanting to keep him at a reasonable price. The FO obviously didn't feel the same. One of the few moves I disagree with Elway about, but its not like CJ isn't replaceable, I will just miss his heart. The fact that we could have kept him for only 2 mil stings, to me at least.

If Rav is correct, the 3rd round one is not an option.

BroncoNut
why are people upset about this? It's CJ Anderson, not Barry Sanders. RB's are not worth big money anymore, definitely not mediocre ones. I really think people need to stop falling in love with the players.

me too, it's not healthy. are you a bronco fan or a jon doe fan?

BroncoWave
03-10-2016, 05:49 PM
Yep, Rav was right...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restricted_free_agent

So are we still sticking by the narrative that Elway messed up on CJ's tender?

VonDoom
03-10-2016, 05:49 PM
Again, there is no 3rd round tender. We should have tendered Marshall a first and CJ a second.

In any case, the structure of Miami's offer sheet pays him $6 million in 2016. No way we'll do that

Timmy!
03-10-2016, 05:51 PM
If Rav is correct, the 3rd round one is not an option.

If that's indeed the case i retract my disagreement. A 1st was too much money

Ravage!!!
03-10-2016, 05:52 PM
Again, there is no 3rd round tender. We should have tendered Marshall a first and CJ a second.

In any case, the structure of Miami's offer sheet pays him $6 million in 2016. No way we'll do that

what would have been the guaranteed salary of Marshall had we given him the 1st round tender?

Timmy!
03-10-2016, 05:54 PM
what would have been the guaranteed salary of Marshall had we given him the 1st round tender?

4.4ish i think.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-10-2016, 05:55 PM
I think we can find someone in the mid rounds to match CJ's production. Yes he was very skilled. He also only played half the time.

VonDoom
03-10-2016, 05:57 PM

3.5 or so

Ravage!!!
03-10-2016, 05:59 PM
should have just put the 1st round tender on Brock : )

**before I get corrected, yes, I knwo we couldn't have.

BroncoJoe
03-10-2016, 06:00 PM
why are people upset about this? It's CJ Anderson, not Barry Sanders.

:cool:

Timmy!
03-10-2016, 06:01 PM
3.5 or so

This^

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-10-2016, 06:01 PM
should have just put the 1st round tender on Brock : )

Smart ass.

:D

weazel
03-10-2016, 06:04 PM
Miami throws around more money than a rapper after signing his first record deal

BroncoWave
03-10-2016, 06:06 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that Florida and Texas don't have state income tax. So not only did Brock, Malik, and possibly CJ get more money than Denver could offer, but they are also paying way less taxes on it, which in come cases could be extra millions right there. Hard to pass that up.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2016, 06:24 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 40m

Andrew Mason Retweeted -R€€D-

It's not about cash. It's cap room, a decent amount of which must go to a QB. Miller deal, rookies, will have impact

Andrew Mason added,
-R€€D- @ReedMuellz22
@MaseDenver Chances Broncos match Miami's offer on CJ. Seems like a reasonable contract and do we not have quite a bit of cash? 😒

tomjonesrocks
03-10-2016, 06:32 PM

I guess I'm guilty of this. Really like CJ. Really hate this one. More than Brock. When CJ is healthy he's very good.

And if there's a position that Denver doesn't evaluate well it's RB.

Considering running the ball is what we want to do, huge loss. Bordering on inexcusable.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-10-2016, 06:36 PM
I guess I'm guilty of this. Really like CJ. Really hate this one. More than Brock. When CJ is healthy he's very good.

And if there's a position that Denver doesn't evaluate well it's RB.

Considering running the ball is what we want to do, huge loss. Bordering on inexcusable.

I agree 100% on his talent level, but if I'm going to sacrifice for a RB and pay him well he needs to good to go more than half the time.

Ravage!!!
03-10-2016, 06:36 PM
Not really. He's ok, but he's not 'very good.' I don't think the Broncos felt he was/is a talent that was a 'be sure to keep." Hell, I don't think he's as good as many of the RBs we've had in Denver over the years.

BroncoWave
03-10-2016, 06:38 PM
Not really. He's ok, but he's not 'very good.' I don't think the Broncos felt he was/is a talent that was a 'be sure to keep." Hell, I don't think he's as good as many of the RBs we've had in Denver over the years.

I agree. Had we drafted CJ in the second round, I think half our fanbase would hate him for not living up to that (see: Hillman, Ronnie). With him being an UDFA he became an underdog story that people rooted for, and thus one of our most popular players. That doesn't make him worth a bunch of money though. We can definitely get similar production for cheaper.

OrangeHoof
03-10-2016, 06:48 PM
Look another way. We've lost a 2nd-rounder, 5th-rounder, 6th-rounder and UDFA plus released Vasquez and Daniels. I'd say we've held together fairly well.

tomjonesrocks
03-10-2016, 06:49 PM
I agree. Had we drafted CJ in the second round, I think half our fanbase would hate him for not living up to that (see: Hillman, Ronnie). With him being an UDFA he became an underdog story that people rooted for, and thus one of our most popular players. That doesn't make him worth a bunch of money though. We can definitely get similar production for cheaper.

On the contrary Montee Ball, Hillman, and most of Knowshon's time has shown me the value of CJ.

I don't trust our evaluations on this position in the draft and there's a lot in the draft needed at OL, QB (it might make sense to burn 2 picks there) already.

Tned
03-10-2016, 06:50 PM
Look another way. We've lost a 2nd-rounder, 5th-rounder, 6th-rounder and UDFA plus released Vasquez and Daniels. I'd say we've held together fairly well.

Don't forget another UDFA in Brewer. Not a big loss unless we start having snaps go over punters head or one hopped to the holder on FGs/XPs.

BroncoWave
03-10-2016, 06:52 PM
On the contrary Montee Ball, Hillman, and most of Knowshon's time has shown me the value of CJ.

This kinda proves my point of how our fans view RBs. Knowshon was a way more productive Bronco than CJ and Hillman was about on par, but our fanbase hated both of those guys because they were high picks. CJ being undrafted and producing anything makes him loved, but it doesn't make him worth a big contract.

NightTerror218
03-10-2016, 06:56 PM
People are saying Elway flopped this offseason with Brock and CJ and malik and travathan. This is the talking heads and beat writers.

All could have been signed to deals earlier for cheaper before insane FA money went around. Malik said he would have taken less if offered a contract sooner. CJ should have been given a different tender. Travathan should have received an offer. Off is considered his biggest flop at the most important position. Went in low to start and lost big.

I trust Elway and kubiak. While I did like these guys it's football and happens all the time. We still have 9 of 11 defenders returning. And offense is getting an overhauled like defense did last year.

TXBRONC
03-10-2016, 07:18 PM
I did not know this. Interesting. I still think they should have tendered Marshall at a one and CJ at a two. But given this information, they knew a two would be fine for Marshall and they took a chance on CJ.

I honestly would hate to lose CJ. I get that he's banged up a lot but dude is the definition of kicking and screaming. Remember that playoff game against the Colts where everyone, including the coaches, took the day off? CJ played his ass off that day.

I won't like either but even CJ stays I would not surprised if Denver still brings in running back maybe even two.

turftoad
03-10-2016, 07:21 PM
I was fine with Malik gone and even OZ, but cmon now, we could have kept Danny K and CJ without much a problem or breaking the bank. :tsk:

VonDoom
03-10-2016, 07:49 PM
I was fine with Malik gone and even OZ, but cmon now, we could have kept Danny K and CJ without much a problem or breaking the bank. :tsk:

I got the impression from reading the beat writers on Twitter today that they didn't make much of an effort to keep Trevathan, which I agree is kind of a shame. I'll be more annoyed when CJ walks, especially since it was easily in our power to keep him.

Davii
03-10-2016, 07:51 PM

Can't BMarsh got it, you only have one. Their choices were low round or first.

VonDoom
03-10-2016, 07:56 PM
I'm blessed and grateful for the opportunity whether that's in Miami or back in Denver to continue to play football," Anderson said from the Fort Lauderdale airport following his visit with the Dolphins. "I'm super humbled. All I was asking for was a second-round tender. That's all I was expecting. And now I'm going to make way more than a second-round tender.''

http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/dolphins-make-offer-to-cj-anderson/76556970

Edmonton Bronco Fan
03-10-2016, 07:58 PM
I ******* hate this. When healthy, CJ has the potential to be a top 5 back in the league.

Off season from hell.

VonDoom
03-10-2016, 07:59 PM
We were supposedly interested in Bilal Powell before he re-signed with the Jets. His deal is announced as three years, $11.25 million, $6 million guaranteed. Is Powell better than CJ? Running backs might be disposable, but guys are still getting paid, at least decent money. Mostly I'd just like to have some RB consistency. Our #1 RB has changed every year in the Manning era:

2012 - McGahee
2013 - Moreno
2014 - Ball (at least at first ...)
2015 - Anderson
2016 - ????

dogfish
03-10-2016, 08:00 PM
i have mixed feelings about it, but arian foster would seem like the obvious choice if we want to bring in a veteran back. . .

BroncoWave
03-10-2016, 08:05 PM
I ******* hate this. When healthy, CJ has the potential to be a top 5 back in the league.

Off season from hell.

Ok this is getting into hot take territory. Guy is nowhere near close to top 5.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2016, 08:06 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 2h

Andrew Mason Retweeted Peter

Miller's franchise tag: $14,129,000. Wolfe has 4-year, $36.7M deal with $17.5M guaranteed. They've spent $$.

Andrew Mason added,
Peter @Vanpelt4prez
@MaseDenver I'm not surprised of mass exits except for BO. Broncos have no $$$

Andrew Mason Retweeted Matt Hendricks

$18.5M more under cap to Talib/CHJR/Miller/Sanders/DT/Wolfe than last year. Restructures haven't happened yet.

Andrew Mason added,
Matt Hendricks @MattHendricks21
@MaseDenver @ReedMuellz22 what happened to PM's $20 million coming off and Ware/Clady restructuring ... We can't be that strapped!

Andrew Mason Retweeted -R€€D-

It's not about cash. It's cap room, a decent amount of which must go to a QB. Miller deal, rookies, will have impact

Andrew Mason added,
-R€€D- @ReedMuellz22
@MaseDenver Chances Broncos match Miami's offer on CJ. Seems like a reasonable contract and do we not have quite a bit of cash? 😒

tomjonesrocks
03-10-2016, 10:17 PM
Sounds like we're taking a hard look at Alfred Morris. Would much rather have had the younger CJ with fewer miles.

Davii
03-10-2016, 10:41 PM
Sounds like we're taking a hard look at Alfred Morris. Would much rather have had the younger CJ with fewer miles.

What if Morris comes at half the price?

Mike
03-10-2016, 10:41 PM

We never really got to see him behind a good line. I think he has the potential. But I don't like how often he is injured. I doubt Denver matches this offer based on the injury history.

tomjonesrocks
03-10-2016, 10:42 PM
What if Morris comes at half the price?

3.7 YPC and 1 TD last year for a decent Washington team.

Are we sure he's not done?

CoachChaz
03-10-2016, 10:53 PM
3.7 YPC and 1 TD last year for a decent Washington team.

Are we sure he's not done?

Not a complete excuse, but he is the definition of a system back. Happens to be the system we run and not the one Washington currently does.

Joel
03-11-2016, 07:38 AM
We never really got to see him behind a good line. I think he has the potential. But I don't like how often he is injured. I doubt Denver matches this offer based on the injury history.
I still contend the highlighted points are related. VonDoom listed our starters all the way back to 2012: There's a reason we had a different one EACH year and none could stay even slightly healthy ALL year. McGahee was the last RB we started on consecutive Opening Days—and by mid-2012 he was on IR. That was a year after we led the NFL in rushing because he led the NFL in post-CONTACT yards: It was also two years before he retired at 32.

Still can't believe we didn't 1st round tender Marshall and 2nd round tender CJ. Kubiak and Dennison will get the line right, and I'm confident they can find a Tater to gain 1000 yds for us, but CJ could've really been something special behind a GOOD line, and we'll need that as long as we have TBD starting at QB.

It is what it is, but this bothers me more than losing Oz. It almost looks like our offense is so bad Elway's doing a complete rebuild now that we've won a SB despite it and Manning's retired. I just hope he holds our awful line to the same standards as our productive skill players.

BroncoWave
03-11-2016, 07:50 AM
I just hope he holds our awful line to the same standards as our productive skill players.

Have you been keeping up? Elway already cut Vasquez and gave a big contract to that guy from KC. So he's already starting the rebuild of the line too.

And our two MOST productive skill players, Sanders and DT, aren't going anywhere any time soon.

But don't let any of those fact get in the way of your hot takes.

Northman
03-11-2016, 07:53 AM
It almost looks like our offense is so bad Elway's doing a complete rebuild now that we've won a SB despite it and Manning's retired.

People may hate me saying it but this is exactly the way New England approaches their team year in and year out save a couple of positions. Since the dawn of free agency teams really no longer have the luxury to hold onto every player for years on end like they used to be able to do. So you have to have a load and reload philosophy and hope that it works so as long as you research well and dont overpay guys who can strap the team down. While Denver doesnt have the current luxury of having the backbone of the offense being a HOF QB any longer i really dont mind that Elway isnt overspending or freaking out to keep replaceable talent. Our biggest priority is keeping difference makers (Miller) and good coaching (Phillips) and the reloading with other players to make another run.

Joel
03-11-2016, 08:01 AM
Have you been keeping up? Elway already cut Vasquez and gave a big contract to that guy from KC. So he's already starting the rebuild of the line too.

And our two MOST productive skill players, Sanders and DT, aren't going anywhere any time soon.

But don't let any of those fact get in the way of your hot takes.
I'm aware, yes: He cut our best lineman and brought in another journeyman KC cut. The monkey is not impressed. He didn't cut the #1 WR he gave a big long contract just last year: That just means he didn't want to eat >$30M in dead money. It does NOT guarantee we'll keep Sanders beyond 2016 (his final contract year.)

BroncoWave
03-11-2016, 08:04 AM
I'm aware, yes: He cut our best lineman and brought in another journeyman KC cut. The monkey is not impressed. He didn't cut the #1 WR he gave a big long contract just last year: That just means he didn't want to eat >$30M in dead money. It does NOT guarantee we'll keep Sanders beyond 2016 (his final contract year.)

Well Joel if only we could have someone with your team-building expertise running things instead of a guy who has build a two time Super Bowl participant and NFL champ. The arrogance of guys like you and Cugel who think that everything that Elway does is wrong and you know better is just astounding.

Joel
03-11-2016, 08:53 AM
Hold the phone, Mabel: Believing Elway's not infallible=/=believing him incompetent. He tends to win FA by a wide margin, including UDFAs. However, his draft record's not as good as his FA record. I suspect that's because providing far more experience negotiating than scouting (despite being a coachs son.) The combination of hardball negotiation and dubious draft picks have often justified letting the former draftees get their next contract elsewhere.

HOWEVER, that habit's not nearly as effective when he DOES "develop" draftees or FAs into All Pros: He ends up rushing to sign DeMarcus Ware because Doom goes to Baltimore for LESS than we offered. Sure, I'd rather have Wares leadership and production than Dooms, but ask me again in six months to a year and the answer may change; more importantly, what if Ware hadn't been available? That is, what if our best option had been the OLB equivalent of Kaep or RGIII...?

I'm not going to sit here pretending Elway's a screw up, because 1) I don't believe that and 2) last seasons evidence argue against it. But everyone has their failings, and Elways appear to be in the very maintenance areas critical to his "win from now on" and "develop All Pros, don't draft them" philosophies. There's a reason NONE of our passers NOR runners can last more than two months before injured so badly fans scream for a different starter, and often GET one.

There's also a reason Elway NEEDS to annually win FA: Because our record of "develop[ing] All Pros" is spotty, and our record of KEEPING those few we DO develop little better. Elway's just now reaching the point of his tenure where his original rookies are coming up for renewal; how he handles what they've earned in the interim is a big part of determining how successful he is as a GM. A lone SB win with a lot of expensive All Pro FAs in their final years is NOT how a team "wins from now on."

artie_dale
03-11-2016, 09:23 AM
Hold the phone, Mabel: Believing Elway's not infallible=/=believing him incompetent. He tends to win FA by a wide margin, including UDFAs. However, his draft record's not as good as his FA record. I suspect that's because providing far more experience negotiating than scouting (despite being a coachs son.) The combination of hardball negotiation and dubious draft picks have often justified letting the former draftees get their next contract elsewhere.

HOWEVER, that habit's not nearly as effective when he DOES "develop" draftees or FAs into All Pros: He ends up rushing to sign DeMarcus Ware because Doom goes to Baltimore for LESS than we offered. Sure, I'd rather have Wares leadership and production than Dooms, but ask me again in six months to a year and the answer may change; more importantly, what if Ware hadn't been available? That is, what if our best option had been the OLB equivalent of Kaep or RGIII...?

I'm not going to sit here pretending Elway's a screw up, because 1) I don't believe that and 2) last seasons evidence argue against it. But everyone has their failings, and Elways appear to be in the very maintenance areas critical to his "win from now on" and "develop All Pros, don't draft them" philosophies. There's a reason NONE of our passers NOR runners can last more than two months before injured so badly fans scream for a different starter, and often GET one.

There's also a reason Elway NEEDS to annually win FA: Because our record of "develop[ing] All Pros" is spotty, and our record of KEEPING those few we DO develop little better. Elway's just now reaching the point of his tenure where his original rookies are coming up for renewal; how he handles what they've earned in the interim is a big part of determining how successful he is as a GM. A lone SB win with a lot of expensive All Pro FAs in their final years is NOT how a team "wins from now on."

Here are Elway's notable drafted players:

2011 Von Miller, Rahim Moore, Nate Irving, Quinton Carter, Julius Thomas, Virgil Green
2012 Derek Wolf, Brock Osweiller, Ronnie Hillman, Omar Bolden, Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan
2013 Sylvester Williams, Monte Ball, Kayvon Webster
2014 Bradley Roby, Cody Latimer, Michael Scholfield, Matt Paradis
2015 Shane Ray, Ty Sambrailo, Jeff Heuerman, Max Garcia, Trevor Siemian

Considering how draft picks are a gamble and are hit or miss, I think Elway has a knack for it. I mean, Chris Harris Jr isn't on that list and he's considered one of the best CBs in the league. I think Elway has an eye for young talent.

As far as Dumerville's negotiation fiasco, that wasn't Elway's fault at all. Dumerville fired his agent because his agent was who apparently deliberately stalled the negotiation to its expiration via the fax machine fandango. Dumerville fired his agent right after that. Elway wasn't desperate. Ware happened to be there and Ware's caliber was (and still is), much higher than the likes of Dumerville.

So, if anything, all the good has to outweigh any of the bad as far as I can see. Maybe if you point out any majory hiccups that Elway has made (like complete flops), maybe I can see your point.

Joel
03-11-2016, 10:04 AM
Here are Elway's notable drafted players:

2011 Von Miller, Rahim Moore, Nate Irving, Quinton Carter, Julius Thomas, Virgil Green
It's hard to miss with your choice of anyone but Cam Newton; the rest of that draft's pretty miserable. The 2nd rounder's unemployed, the 3rd rounder's a career backup, the 4th rounder's been out of the NFL since last year, the 5th rounder can only do HALF his job and stay healthy HALF the season. The #2 overall pick hit (because it darned well BETTER) and Green's OK; otherwise, that draft was a bust.

2012 Derek Wolf, Brock Osweiller, Ronnie Hillman, Omar Bolden, Malik Jackson, Danny Trevathan
Definitely Elways best draft, and a good one by any standard: How many of those guys are on the team 4 years later? I count ONE.

Again: We're just now reaching the point of Elways tenure where we see how well he RETAINS what few All Pros he HAS "developed." So far it doesn't look good.

2013 Sylvester Williams, Monte Ball, Kayvon Webster
That's less than HALF the guys we drafted then, but one of even THOSE three is now out of football just 3 years later. Another was relegated to the bench and STs by our first pick of the very next draft: Think Webster will stick around in that role next year, or take big money and a starting job elsewhere? Because "we want guys who want to be here" (on the bench.) Once again, RETAINING talent is just as important as FINDING it, and Elways record with draft picks shows little of either.

2014 Bradley Roby, Cody Latimer, Michael Scholfield, Matt Paradis
Whose point are you trying to make? Roby's legit, but Latimer can barely and rarely get on the field, while Schofield was our worst lineman on it all year. So we got one stud and one sort of adequate player out of an entire draft.

2015 Shane Ray, Ty Sambrailo, Jeff Heuerman, Max Garcia, Trevor Siemian
The jury's still out on all of last years rookies: Garcia's the only one who got much playing time or showed anything. Hell, two were on IR by the end of September; that's not an A nor an F: It's a Q.

Considering how draft picks are a gamble and are hit or miss, I think Elway has a knack for it. I mean, Chris Harris Jr isn't on that list and he's considered one of the best CBs in the league. I think Elway has an eye for young talent.
UDFAs STILL aren't draft picks, no matter how many times anyone tries to make them so. Again, Elway's consistently excelled at winning market negotiations, and walking away from high price tags is at least as big a part of that as finding bargains: His record with EXCLUSIVE negotations isn't nearly as good, and we've reached the point where walking away from high prices often means walking away from UDFA bargains he made stars.

As far as Dumerville's negotiation fiasco, that wasn't Elway's fault at all. Dumerville fired his agent because his agent was who apparently deliberately stalled the negotiation to its expiration via the fax machine fandango. Dumerville fired his agent right after that. Elway wasn't desperate. Ware happened to be there and Ware's caliber was (and still is), much higher than the likes of Dumerville.
Dooms agent didn't fall on a grenade, he was pushed. That was hardly the only time Elway playing hardball alienated a player. Ware HAPPENED to be there, yes, and thank heaven he was: Are there any Ware-calibre QBs on the FA market now...?

So, if anything, all the good has to outweigh any of the bad as far as I can see. Maybe if you point out any majory hiccups that Elway has made (like complete flops), maybe I can see your point.
Moore, Irving and Ball were complete flops, and that's just out of the 24 draft picks YOU listed: Elway's had 36.

2015 (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2015/draft.htm)
Shane Ray (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RayxSh00.htm)

Ty Sambrailo (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SambTy00.htm)

Jeff Heuerman (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HeueJe00.htm)

Max Garcia (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GarcMa00.htm)

Lorenzo Doss (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DossLo00.htm)

Darius Kilgo (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KilgDa01.htm)

Trevor Siemian (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SiemTr00.htm)

Taurean Nixon (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NixoTa00.htm)

Josh Furman (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FurmJo00.htm)

Year
Rnd
Pick

2014 (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2014/draft.htm)
Bradley Roby (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RobyBr00.htm)

Cody Latimer (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LatiCo00.htm)

Michael Schofield (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SchoMi00.htm)

Lamin Barrow (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BarrLa00.htm)

Matt Paradis (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/ParaMa00.htm)

Corey Nelson (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/N/NelsCo00.htm)

Year
Rnd
Pick

2013 (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2013/draft.htm)
Sylvester Williams (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillSy00.htm)

Montee Ball (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BallMo00.htm)

Kayvon Webster (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WebsKa00.htm)

Quanterus Smith (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitQu00.htm)

Tavarres King (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KingTa00.htm)

Vinston Painter (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PainVi00.htm)

Zac Dysert (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/D/DyseZa00.htm)

Year
Rnd
Pick

2012 (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2012/draft.htm)
Derek Wolfe (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WolfDe00.htm)

Brock Osweiler (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OsweBr00.htm)

Ronnie Hillman (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HillRo00.htm)

Omar Bolden (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BoldOm00.htm)

Philip Blake (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BlakPh00.htm)

Malik Jackson (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackMa02.htm)

Danny Trevathan (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TrevDa00.htm)

Year
Rnd
Pick

2011 (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2011/draft.htm)
Von Miller (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MillVo00.htm)

Rahim Moore (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MoorRa00.htm)

Orlando Franklin (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FranOr00.htm)

Nate Irving (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/I/IrviNa00.htm)

Quinton Carter (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CartQu01.htm)

Julius Thomas (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/ThomJu00.htm)

Mike Mohamed (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MohaMi00.htm)

Virgil Green (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GreeVi00.htm)

Jeremy Beal (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BealJe00.htm)

Look at the guys who've already FINISHED their rookie contracts: Only THREE remain on the team, and, of the rest, only Jackson and Trevathan are actually GOOD.

That's neither finding draft talent nor retaining draft OR FA talent. Remember this conversation the next couple offseasons, as we move beyond Elways first couple of drafts to decide whether and how to keep his more recent rookies (don't get too attached to Cody Latimer, who's like to be one of the guys who "doesn't want to be here" VERY soon....)

weazel
03-11-2016, 10:16 AM
People may hate me saying it but this is exactly the way New England approaches their team year in and year out save a couple of positions. Since the dawn of free agency teams really no longer have the luxury to hold onto every player for years on end like they used to be able to do. So you have to have a load and reload philosophy and hope that it works so as long as you research well and dont overpay guys who can strap the team down. While Denver doesnt have the current luxury of having the backbone of the offense being a HOF QB any longer i really dont mind that Elway isnt overspending or freaking out to keep replaceable talent. Our biggest priority is keeping difference makers (Miller) and good coaching (Phillips) and the reloading with other players to make another run.

agreed... people talk about what a mastermind hoodie is but when Elway lets some overpriced players go, they go to panic mode.

turftoad
03-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Back to the thread topic.
I'd like to see CJ come back. If effing Khiry Robinson and Bilal Powell are worth the same ballpark money, so is CJ.

CoachChaz
03-11-2016, 11:51 AM
Back to the thread topic.
I'd like to see CJ come back. If effing Khiry Robinson and Bilal Powell are worth the same ballpark money, so is CJ.

Powell is backloaded and Robinson came cheap.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
03-11-2016, 12:31 PM

Two qualifying factors you seemed to ignore.

When healthy.

Potential to be.

turftoad
03-11-2016, 12:32 PM
Powell is backloaded and Robinson came cheap.

Powell: Updating a previous report, New York Jets RB Bilal Powell’s contract is three years in length and worth $11.25 million, including $6 million fully guaranteed.

Robinson: Updating a previous report, New York Jets RB Khiry Robinson’s deal is one year in length and worth $1.18 million, including $80,000 guaranteed.

For a #2 and #3 behind Forte. That's not that cheap Coach. CJ is basically going to a #1 somewhere. Just sayin.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-11-2016, 12:45 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 3h

Broncos badly misread market on C.J. @cjandersonb22 with low tender. Still, don't be surprised if Broncos match MIA offer. #9news #9sports

BroncoWave
03-11-2016, 12:45 PM
Two qualifying factors you seemed to ignore.

When healthy.

Potential to be.

The "when healthy" part is a pretty big issue though. Guy can never stay on the field. Maybe he does have the potential to be a top 5 back on day, but he also has the potential to be out of the league at a young age due to injuries. Just too many question marks to pay him the kind of money Miami is offering, IMO.

BroncoWave
03-11-2016, 12:46 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 3h

Broncos badly misread market on C.J. @cjandersonb22 with low tender. Still, don't be surprised if Broncos match MIA offer. #9news #9sports

If Denver actually matches then yeah, they screwed up royally by not just giving him the first round tender, because that would still be cheaper than what Miami is offering. I really hope we don't match though. That's just too much money for him.

CoachChaz
03-11-2016, 12:49 PM
Powell: Updating a previous report, New York Jets RB Bilal Powell’s contract is three years in length and worth $11.25 million, including $6 million fully guaranteed.

Robinson: Updating a previous report, New York Jets RB Khiry Robinson’s deal is one year in length and worth $1.18 million, including $80,000 guaranteed.

For a #2 and #3 behind Forte. That's not that cheap Coach. CJ is basically going to a #1 somewhere. Just sayin.

I think that's where the line gets blurred. Forte is 30 years old. We can call him a #1 because of his history, but his days of 250 carries are done. So having decent back-ups is a necessity. That being said...Powell is an overpay and based on Kubiak's ability to find effective RB's, I dont know if I want to base an offer to C.J. on the overpay of a back-up in NY.

Dont get me wrong. I love CJ and I've been an advocate of him since before he was drafted and defended him from the get go. But from a business stance, I would totally understand if Denver chose not to match the offer. After Lynch's retirement and the inevitable pay cut Foster will be taking...CJ will be a top 8 paid RB based on annual average pay...more than Forte. Is he that guy?

NightTerror218
03-11-2016, 12:51 PM
A from the loaded contract makes it hard for Elway to match. Unless he can match and redu the contract immediately to lessen that.

Miami front loaded knowing we are short on cap space this year.

BroncoWave
03-11-2016, 12:53 PM
A from the loaded contract makes it hard for Elway to match. Unless he can match and redu the contract immediately to lessen that.

Teams don't do this. It's seen as a huge slap in the face to a player and does not go over well, at least from what I saw posted by some Broncos beat writers on Twitter yesterday.

NightTerror218
03-11-2016, 12:56 PM
Teams don't do this. It's seen as a huge slap in the face to a player and does not go over well, at least from what I saw posted by some Broncos beat writers on Twitter yesterday.

CJ knows broncos situation. Change front loaded to signing bonus over term of contract.

artie_dale
03-11-2016, 12:57 PM
I think that's where the line gets blurred. Forte is 30 years old. We can call him a #1 because of his history, but his days of 250 carries are done. So having decent back-ups is a necessity. That being said...Powell is an overpay and based on Kubiak's ability to find effective RB's, I dont know if I want to base an offer to C.J. on the overpay of a back-up in NY.

Dont get me wrong. I love CJ and I've been an advocate of him since before he was drafted and defended him from the get go. But from a business stance, I would totally understand if Denver chose not to match the offer. After Lynch's retirement and the inevitable pay cut Foster will be taking...CJ will be a top 8 paid RB based on annual average pay...more than Forte. Is he that guy?

I still think this was Elway's way of unloading CJ in a way that ensures he is attractive to other teams because I highly doubt CJ would be pursued if a team had to give up their 2nd round draft pick AND give him a nice contract. But, that's just me thinking that Elway is being charitable by risking not acquiring a 2nd rnd pick and instead getting a 7th rnder.

CoachChaz
03-11-2016, 12:59 PM
I still think this was Elway's way of unloading CJ in a way that ensures he is attractive to other teams because I highly doubt CJ would be pursued if a team had to give up their 2nd round draft pick AND give him a nice contract. But, that's just me thinking that Elway is being charitable by risking not acquiring a 2nd rnd pick and instead getting a 7th rnder.

I absolutely agree with that. It's a gamble, but one that might have been worth taking.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
03-11-2016, 03:17 PM
The "when healthy" part is a pretty big issue though. Guy can never stay on the field. Maybe he does have the potential to be a top 5 back on day, but he also has the potential to be out of the league at a young age due to injuries. Just too many question marks to pay him the kind of money Miami is offering, IMO.

Fair enough. Certainly don't want him at that salary... just dismayed Elway so badly misjudged the market on him.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2016, 03:55 PM
Fair enough. Certainly don't want him at that salary... just dismayed Elway so badly misjudged the market on him.

Did he though? He couldn't put the second on CJ unless he put the first on Marshall. I don't know if Elway misjudged CJ's talent.

ShaneFalco
03-11-2016, 04:39 PM
i thought we wanted players who wanted to be broncos...

BroncoJoe
03-11-2016, 04:42 PM
I would have thought MIA would have learned from the Knowshon fiasco.

Ravage!!!
03-11-2016, 04:45 PM
i thought we wanted players who wanted to be broncos...

No.. we only want those playesr if they want to be Broncos and want to play cheap.

dogfish
03-11-2016, 06:59 PM
No.. we only want those playesr if they want to be Broncos and want to play cheap.

i hope the duke doesn't think von miller is going to give him a sweetheart deal the way harris and wolfe did. . .

tomjonesrocks
03-11-2016, 07:05 PM
i hope the duke doesn't think von miller is going to give him a sweetheart deal the way harris and wolfe did. . .

I don't understand why this wasn't done before he had to be franchised. Either pay him Suh money or Denver gets nothing for him when he leaves down the road. Doesn't seem complicated.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-13-2016, 02:07 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 25m

To match or not to match: Only two NFL running backs will get more 2016 pay than C.J. Anderson http://www.9news.com/sports/to-match-or-not-to-match-only-two-nfl-running-backs-will-get-more-2016-pay-than-cj-anderson/80770847 …
via @@9NEWS #9news

Valar Morghulis
03-13-2016, 03:42 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 25m To match or not to match: Only two NFL running backs will get more 2016 pay than C.J. Anderson http://www.9news.com/sports/to-match-or-not-to-match-only-two-nfl-running-backs-will-get-more-2016-pay-than-cj-anderson/80770847 … via @@9NEWS #9news

Not to match.

Let him go, wish him all the best.

DenBronx
03-13-2016, 04:04 PM
Let him walk. I like CJ but we can find a bargain at RB.

turftoad
03-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Let him walk. I like CJ but we can find a bargain at RB.

Alfred Morris did great in the zone scheme with Shanahan.

tomjonesrocks
03-13-2016, 07:26 PM
Not to match. Let him go, wish him all the best.

Denver is getting their ass handed to them in FA.

CJ was absolutely save-able. It happens, but this is a complete **** up.

tomjonesrocks
03-13-2016, 07:27 PM
Alfred Morris did great in the zone scheme with Shanahan.

And averaged 3.7 per to go with 1 TD last year. And has ~700 more carries than CJ. He's done, IMO.

And oddly enough, most likely he won't come cheap.

Denver is going to have to find someone in the draft at a position on average they evaluate poorly, with holes suddenly all over the roster.

I don't understand why a team that does most everything well is so bad at keeping the guys they groom. CJ will prove to be the biggest loss of the offseason.

turftoad
03-13-2016, 07:47 PM
And averaged 3.7 per to go with 1 TD last year. And has ~700 more carries than CJ. He's done, IMO.

Denver is going to have to find someone in the draft at a position on average they evaluate poorly, with holes suddenly all over the roster.

I don't understand why a team that does most everything well is so bad at keeping the guys they groom. CJ will prove to be the biggest loss of the offseason.

Don't get me wrong, I like CJ better. The stats you gave on Morris were from last year. That was not a zone scheme. We were talking about a less expensive option. Morris would be a lot less money.

TXBRONC
03-13-2016, 09:31 PM

That wasn't a zone scheme he was in last season.

NightTerror218
03-13-2016, 09:49 PM

Going a little overboard don't you think.

Joel
03-14-2016, 12:02 AM
Not to match.

Let him go, wish him all the best.
I dunno; if I understood that article correctly, Miami's taking his signing bonus' entire cap hit now so they can dump him in as little as TWO years for NO cost, or dump him NEXT year for minimal cost. $18M over 4 years, $7M guaranteed, is neither jaw-dropping nor cap-busting for a quality starting RB, and we ought to be able to match that if we want: We just wouldn't eat the whole signing bonus NOW solely to let us dump him soon after with no penalty.

Say we come back with a $1M, $2M, $3M and $4M salary the next 4 years, plus an $8M signing bonus. That's $18M over 4 years with significantly MORE guaranteed, but this years cap hit would be less than a 1st round tender would've cost, and we wouldn't be back here doing the same dance in a years time: He'd practically be "guaranteed" a JOB through 2018, because even in his contracts 3rd year we'd only save $1M by cutting him, and keeping him for $5M wouldn't break us.

I'm not saying it'll happen; Elway's history is not exactly one of protracted compromise. But it's doable, and worthwhile, IMHO. There's a reason ¼ of the whole LEAGUE is bidding for CJs services: He's the rare every down back, and in that sense he is the Davis-like starter we've so long needed but lacked. Sure, the ZBS can churn 1000 yd seasons out of Tatum Bells, Olandis Garys and Ben Tates—but how many 2000 yd rushers has it produced...?

My bigger concern is that this would prove just the opening salvo of an escalating bidding war. $18M for 4 with $7M guaranteed is matchable, but if we progressively creep up on something like $25 for 4 with $10M guaranteed that approaches marginal returns very fast.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-14-2016, 12:06 AM
Joel, he will earn the 4th most $ amongst rb's this year. That is an awful lot for a player with his track record of production.

Joel
03-14-2016, 12:13 AM
Joel, he will earn the 4th most $ amongst rb's this year. That is an awful lot for a player with his track record of production.
Yes and no. For reasons known but to God, Elway and Fox, we made fumble-prone Hillman and Ball Morenos 2013 backup, so CJ couldn't get on the field, and then tried to run with Ball and Hillman the first half of 2014 before finally admitting how hopeless that was. All that's more an indictment of Fox and Gase than of CJ.

AFTER that, CJ took off for the highest rushing total of ANY NFL RB the last half of 2014, and produced similarly the last half of 2015 and throughout the playoffs. Yes, he was hurt the first half of the season: So was Manning, so badly Oz took over and quickly got hurt, too. The thing is, we can talk about how we don't get the #1 seed if Oz doesn't beat NE* and Cincy or Manning doesn't beat SD, but we ALSO don't get the #1 seed if CJ doesn't beat NE* (he did far more to beat them than Oz.)

It comes down to how much Fox/Gases bad judgement in RBs, and CJs early 2015 injuries, mitigate against his SOLID performance when allowed on the field. Sure, he's replaceable, but let's not pretend we can just plug a generic RB into the ZBS and get the kind of production we would've from CJ. If he did what he did DESPITE our awful blocking, imagine what he'd do with genuinely GOOD blocking. We'd survive letting him walk, but I think we'd regret it sooner than later.

MOtorboat
03-14-2016, 12:57 AM
Yes and no. For reasons known but to God, Elway and Fox, we made fumble-prone Hillman and Ball Morenos 2013 backup, so CJ couldn't get on the field, and then tried to run with Ball and Hillman the first half of 2014 before finally admitting how hopeless that was. All that's more an indictment of Fox and Gase than of CJ.

AFTER that, CJ took off for the highest rushing total of ANY NFL RB the last half of 2014, and produced similarly the last half of 2015 and throughout the playoffs. Yes, he was hurt the first half of the season: So was Manning, so badly Oz took over and quickly got hurt, too. The thing is, we can talk about how we don't get the #1 seed if Oz doesn't beat NE* and Cincy or Manning doesn't beat SD, but we ALSO don't get the #1 seed if CJ doesn't beat NE* (he did far more to beat them than Oz.)

It comes down to how much Fox/Gases bad judgement in RBs, and CJs early 2015 injuries, mitigate against his SOLID performance when allowed on the field. Sure, he's replaceable, but let's not pretend we can just plug a generic RB into the ZBS and get the kind of production we would've from CJ. If he did what he did DESPITE our awful blocking, imagine what he'd do with genuinely GOOD blocking. We'd survive letting him walk, but I think we'd regret it sooner than later.

Anderson is not Terrell Davis. Not even close.

Joel
03-14-2016, 01:24 AM
Anderson is not Terrell Davis. Not even close.
Probably not, but he's MUCH closer than ANYONE we've found in over a DECADE of seeking since trading Portis for Champ. Kubiak can coach mediocre QBs to above average performance, and has; Dennison can coach mediocre linemen to above average performance, and has; Kubiak AND Dennison can coach mediocre RBs to above average performance, and has: NONE of that makes winning a SB with Plummer and Tater or Schaub and Tate realistic hopes.

All comes to down to whether the "not too shabby" 2013 season was good enough we'll settle for that instead of the 2015 season.

TXBRONC
03-14-2016, 11:01 AM
Going a little overboard don't you think.

The sky is falling.

TXBRONC
03-14-2016, 11:11 AM
Probably not, but he's MUCH closer than ANYONE we've found in over a DECADE of seeking since trading Portis for Champ. Kubiak can coach mediocre QBs to above average performance, and has; Dennison can coach mediocre linemen to above average performance, and has; Kubiak AND Dennison can coach mediocre RBs to above average performance, and has: NONE of that makes winning a SB with Plummer and Tater or Schaub and Tate realistic hopes.

All comes to down to whether the "not too shabby" 2013 season was good enough we'll settle for that instead of the 2015 season.

No. I like Anderson and he is a good fit for this offense but close Davis. Their styles running are very different.

Your last comment is silly because Elway doesn't settle. If you mean by that Elway should have fired Fox after the Super Bowl it wasn't going happen.

underrated29
03-14-2016, 11:13 AM
Do not want Alf or Foster.

I bet we draft Tyler Ervin though. I want Procise or Madden.

Northman
03-14-2016, 11:21 AM
Procise please.

Lancane
03-14-2016, 11:30 AM
I like Alex Collins and Jordan Howard.

MOtorboat
03-14-2016, 11:36 AM

This is always so ridiculous. This ultimatum on 2013 as if it somehow wasn't successful because they lost the last game and that somehow this coaching staff in 2015 was worlds better than that one simply for one game. It's a ludicrous notion. And, frankly, I don't know what you're hang up on Fox has to do with whether or not Denver signs C.J. Anderson. This is a you problem, not the Broncos problem.

Davii
03-14-2016, 11:47 AM
This is always so ridiculous. This ultimatum on 2013 as if it somehow wasn't successful because they lost the last game and that somehow this coaching staff in 2015 was worlds better than that one simply for one game. It's a ludicrous notion. And, frankly, I don't know what you're hang up on Fox has to do with whether or not Denver signs C.J. Anderson. This is a you problem, not the Broncos problem.

The amount of people here (2 or 3) that know better than Elway in every single decision is astounding. If Executive pay counted against the salary cap I would say fire John tomorrow, they clearly have it on lock down.

Either that or they're just way to full of themselves and their opinion. One of the two, but just in case John better watch out. I mean, he's only the best GM in football over the last five years without a question... he could be unseated by a message board know-it-all any second.

The Glue Factory
03-14-2016, 01:02 PM
Another thing to keep in mind is that Florida and Texas don't have state income tax. So not only did Brock, Malik, and possibly CJ get more money than Denver could offer, but they are also paying way less taxes on it, which in come cases could be extra millions right there. Hard to pass that up.

Texas has insanely high property taxes. Unless Brock intends on renting, he'll likely pay as much in property taxes in Texas as income tax in Colorado.

CoachChaz
03-14-2016, 01:36 PM
Texas has insanely high property taxes. Unless Brock intends on renting, he'll likely pay as much in property taxes in Texas as income tax in Colorado.

Works both ways though. Texas is probably in the top 10 in property taxes...but also near the bottom in median property cost. So, it balances out.

My $220,000 home in the neighborhood it's in, would comparatively cost about 300k in Colorado. Maybe even more since the property values have been spiking in CO.

underrated29
03-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Works both ways though. Texas is probably in the top 10 in property taxes...but also near the bottom in median property cost. So, it balances out.

My $220,000 home in the neighborhood it's in, would comparatively cost about 300k in Colorado. Maybe even more since the property values have been spiking in CO.

im sure double that. easily.
Houses are on the market here for 2 days and average 10% over list price.

broncohead
03-14-2016, 02:05 PM
Honestly like Booker if CJ is unable to be matched. Booker can catch and run

Davii
03-14-2016, 02:09 PM

Even with all the property taxes Texas still manages to be in the top 10 of states with low total taxes every time, most years top 5.

The Glue Factory
03-14-2016, 02:10 PM

Texas has some unique laws on the books that help with that. But I left the mortgage biz back in 2008 and don't want to return unless it's in a fraud investigation role. But all of this is now horribly off topic.

CoachChaz
03-14-2016, 02:11 PM
im sure double that. easily.
Houses are on the market here for 2 days and average 10% over list price.

It's somewhat the same way here. When I was back in the market last year, I lost 3 bids where I offered the list price and a little higher...until I finally landed a place on my 4th house. Still had to pay over list and each time, the house sold within 2 days of hitting the market.

Got a friend in CO that is about to sell hers because she can get such a sweet deal for it.

CoachChaz
03-14-2016, 02:12 PM
Even with all the property taxes Texas still manages to be in the top 10 of states with low total taxes every time, most years top 5.

Agreed. Definite advantage to living here.

Slick
03-14-2016, 02:15 PM
I'll always be greatful for the run in the snow against NE and the short TD in the Superbowl when he went through Davis and Kuechly. That was a hell of a run.

CoachChaz
03-14-2016, 02:15 PM
Honestly like Booker if CJ is unable to be matched. Booker can catch and run

I'm always surprised to hear people high on Booker. Can't block, no speed, tons of mileage on his legs and recovering from injury.

underrated29
03-14-2016, 02:34 PM
It's somewhat the same way here. When I was back in the market last year, I lost 3 bids where I offered the list price and a little higher...until I finally landed a place on my 4th house. Still had to pay over list and each time, the house sold within 2 days of hitting the market.

Got a friend in CO that is about to sell hers because she can get such a sweet deal for it.

Similar here.

Put in 3 different bids on places. The 3rd one we came in 40k over list and would match up to an additional 5 and beat it by 1500 and we still lost out.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-14-2016, 03:52 PM

Property values in the Dallas-Fort Worth area have made a really tempting for me to move down there.

broncohead
03-14-2016, 05:12 PM
I'm always surprised to hear people high on Booker. Can't block, no speed, tons of mileage on his legs and recovering from injury.

With modern medicine I'm not worried about his knee injury. Also he's a better all around prospect after Zeke and Henry. Patient, good vision, decisive, physical, and can run zone. RBs don't need 4.4 wheels to be productive.

Slick
03-14-2016, 06:05 PM
How many times did CJ fumble in his career in Denver?

Joel
03-14-2016, 06:51 PM
How many times did CJ fumble in his career in Denver?
3. In 3 seasons and 35 games, 13 as starter (http://www.nfl.com/player/c.j.anderson/2540269/profile). Unless you mean how many fumbles he LOST; then it's 2. Meanwhile, totals were... not as good (http://www.nfl.com/player/ronniehillman/2533437/profile) for other players (http://www.nfl.com/player/monteeball/2539341/profile)....

Plus he was good between the 20s AND inside them, on 1st and 10 or 3rd and 1, broke tackles, made guys miss, picked up blitzers and caught passes. Frankly, I think all that's worth $3-4M/yr; again, once we put a solid line in front of him, breaking two backfield tackles to turn 2 yd losses into 2 yd gains becomes breaking open field tackles to turn 2 yd gains into 5 yd gains, or 50 yd TDs (which he has a few of all ready as runner AND receiver.) If the bidding keeps climbing though....

Just last month Kubiak was telling the press his thoughts on Oz and CJ as our starters next year; seems like a distant memory now. Oz is fine; only worth $18M/yr in his own mind, it sounds like he would've taken ANY offer that got him out of Denver. But we could've tendered Marshall for a 1st and CJ for a 2nd and that would've been a bargain for both: Now we either pay CJ a lot more or get NOTHING and seek a replacement for the best RB we've had since (at least) our LAST Anderson.

Is what it is, but what it mainly is is NEEDLESS, and I don't have to like that.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-14-2016, 06:53 PM
There's no doubt CJ was very affective when he was healthy. Unfortunately that was only half the time.

Lancane
03-14-2016, 08:24 PM
Per source (unverified) - Broncos will not match CJ Anderson's offer, he'll become a Dolphin at 2pm eastern.

tomjonesrocks
03-14-2016, 08:28 PM
Per source (unverified) - Broncos will not match CJ Anderson's offer, he'll become a Dolphin at 2pm eastern.

This one really hurts me. Love me some JFE but he's not infallible and I think CJ is needed and this was a huge botch job.

I believe Denver will suffer consequences for this. Felt the same about JT (true) and Pot Roast (false) so we will see.

Lancane
03-14-2016, 08:55 PM
TJR, they simply could not afford it, they have a little over 12 mil. in available cap and have too many needs. His production or lack thereof can easily be replaced by other backs and for less.

Slick
03-14-2016, 08:58 PM
I don't think anyone is glad to see CJ go but that's a lot of money.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-14-2016, 09:43 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 47m

Deadline to match #Dolphins offer sheet to CJ is 2 pm Tuesday. Just talked to person in the know who said no decision has been made yet

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 50m

As of hour ago, #Broncos were deciding whether to match CJ offer sheet. It's front loaded deal but w/o big $$ to QB they could make it work

Lancane
03-14-2016, 09:49 PM

Deadline to match #Dolphins offer sheet to CJ is 2 pm Tuesday. Just talked to person in the know who said no decision has been made yet

As of hour ago, #Broncos were deciding whether to match CJ offer sheet. It's front loaded deal but w/o big $$ to QB they could make it work

That is why I said unverified. Renck is usually pretty good with getting the scoop, but as my source stated, the team is having a hard time justifying paying him as though he was franchise back.

Joel
03-14-2016, 09:50 PM

Are we obligated to frontload though? Or is average value the determining factor?

I'd think it'd ultimately be up to CJ and his agent what they'll accept as a "matching" offer, but there are lots of ways we could do $18M (or more) for 4 years with $7M guaranteed WITHOUT taking the big hit Miami's volunteered for, and most would give CJ more job security. The nice thing about Miamis deal for him is he gets about a third of it upfront; the bad thing is it lets them kick him to the curb after next year with no penalty.

We could spread the pain, ensure him a job, and offer MORE for a SMALLER 2016 cap hit—IF that qualifies as "matching" (and there's not another bid.)

Lancane
03-14-2016, 09:52 PM
Are we obligated to frontload though? Or is average value the determining factor?

I'd think it'd ultimately be up to CJ and his agent what they'll accept as a "matching" offer, but there are lots of ways we could do $18M (or more) for 4 years with $7M guaranteed WITHOUT taking the big hit Miami's volunteered for, and most would give CJ more job security. The nice thing about Miamis deal for him is he gets about a third of it upfront; the bad thing is it lets them kick him to the curb after next year with no penalty.

We could spread the pain, ensure him a job, and offer MORE for a SMALLER 2016 cap hit—IF that qualifies as "matching" (and there's not another bid.)

Matching means identical, teams are not allowed to alter it. That is why Miami did it the way they did, so hard for Denver to match.

dogfish
03-14-2016, 09:58 PM
I don't think anyone is glad to see CJ go but that's a lot of money.

i love me some CJ-- i've been on his bandwagon all the way back to his first pre-season game. . . you could see that he had that pad level and balance. . . when he's right, he can be really good-- unfortunately, he isn't right often enough, and you just can't pay him that much. . . we'll probably end up with a solid vet and a mid-round pick for the same price, which gives us very good odds of replacing his production. . .

eihter way, i wish CJ the best. . . dude rose from UDFA to being the best back on a championship team, so good for him that he earned a pay day. . . i do wish the duke had handled the tenders differently, but it's done now. . . i am looking forward to seeing gary get the chance to pick a couple of backs. . . he's certainly had success at it before, and it's probably going to be a pretty big factor in how strong our title defense is. . .

Joel
03-14-2016, 10:03 PM
Matching means identical, teams are not allowed to alter it. That is why Miami did it the way they did, so hard for Denver to match.
Wondered about that; so it's a poison pill then. In that case, yeah, I hate to see him go and don't think he's THAT replaceable, but that's too much money we don't have. If only we'd tendered Marshall with a 1st and CJ with the 2nd; that's what, about $3M more total? Anyone think THAT'D be overpaying for CJ?

Bring on Juwan? Or is the Bibbs bandwagon still under full steam?

NightTerror218
03-14-2016, 10:09 PM
Wondered about that; so it's a poison pill then. In that case, yeah, I hate to see him go and don't think he's THAT replaceable, but that's too much money we don't have. If only we'd tendered Marshall with a 1st and CJ with the 2nd; that's what, about $3M more total? Anyone think THAT'D be overpaying for CJ?

Bring on Juwan? Or is the Bibbs bandwagon still under full steam?

Juwan is nothing special. Could not carve out anything in limited chances. He had shot when CJ was injured.

Bibbs will most likely get change of pace back shot.

Joel
03-14-2016, 10:19 PM
Juwan is nothing special. Could not carve out anything in limited chances. He had shot when CJ was injured.

Bibbs will most likely get change of pace back shot.
NO ONE'S looked "special" behind this line—EVER. McGahee was the closest we've come to "special," and he lasted all of a year-and-a-half before he couldn't play; then retired completely after one final season. So Juwan doing little with very few opportunities behind THAT means no more than CJs injury "history" looking like the history of ALL our RBs as far back as I can remember. We led the NFL in rushing when McGahee led the NFL in yards after contact: But how sustainable was that...?

The question is what's possible now that Kubiak and Dennison are rebuilding the line in the mold of their consistently excellent ones in Baltimore, Houston and Denver. I was really looking forward to seeing that with CJ, and am still looking forward to it with his successor. But the combo would've truly been "special," IMHO. We wouldn't be hesitating over an expensive match if Elway and Kubiak didn't think that possible, which makes me wonder how it got this far.

It did though, and we're strapped, so I'm gonna stop dwelling on what might have been and never were: Thanks for clinching the win vs. NE* and our first championship in nearly 20 years, CJ, and good luck (against anyone but us) in Miami. :salute:

Lancane
03-14-2016, 10:37 PM
The coaches like Bibbs alot, but when given chances he's never really utilized them as they had hoped. He'll get another shot, but frankly if these backs were capable of being a bell cow back they'd have really challenged Hillman and Anderson.

TXBRONC
03-15-2016, 08:24 AM
The coaches like Bibbs alot, but when given chances he's never really utilized them as they had hoped. He'll get another shot, but frankly if these backs were capable of being a bell cow back they'd have really challenged Hillman and Anderson.

Denver has ten picks so they plenty of draft ammo to go out find replacements who are at least as good if not better than what is leaving the building.

I know Kubiak commented just recently that they like Bibbs yet he hasn't been able stay on the active roster.

NightTerror218
03-15-2016, 09:11 AM
NO ONE'S looked "special" behind this line—EVER. McGahee was the closest we've come to "special," and he lasted all of a year-and-a-half before he couldn't play; then retired completely after one final season. So Juwan doing little with very few opportunities behind THAT means no more than CJs injury "history" looking like the history of ALL our RBs as far back as I can remember. We led the NFL in rushing when McGahee led the NFL in yards after contact: But how sustainable was that...?

The question is what's possible now that Kubiak and Dennison are rebuilding the line in the mold of their consistently excellent ones in Baltimore, Houston and Denver. I was really looking forward to seeing that with CJ, and am still looking forward to it with his successor. But the combo would've truly been "special," IMHO. We wouldn't be hesitating over an expensive match if Elway and Kubiak didn't think that possible, which makes me wonder how it got this far.

It did though, and we're strapped, so I'm gonna stop dwelling on what might have been and never were: Thanks for clinching the win vs. NE* and our first championship in nearly 20 years, CJ, and good luck (against anyone but us) in Miami. :salute:

My point is, he was given a shot and did not turn heads. He did not take advantage of the opportunity. He did not standout. Hillman ran better and stayed on the field.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-15-2016, 10:09 AM
CJ will get the money from either Miami or the Broncos, which will make him the third highest paid RB. I like CJ, but I don't feel he is worth that kind of money.

underrated29
03-15-2016, 10:32 AM
Kapri Bibbs!

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-15-2016, 10:36 AM
Kapri Bibbs!

It was only a matter of time. :laugh:

underrated29
03-15-2016, 11:04 AM
It was only a matter of time. :laugh:

:)

It is my obligation

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-15-2016, 11:22 AM
:)

It is my obligation

I faltered; I should have said 'staahp!'

NightTerror218
03-15-2016, 12:26 PM
I think CJ is gone. This year is so front loaded and pockets are tight. But I think in ZBS system RB are easier to find.

dogfish
03-15-2016, 12:48 PM
I faltered; I should have said 'staahp!'

nah, that's MO's job. . .

underrated29
03-15-2016, 01:25 PM
Cj is gone. We are not matching.

And you will all be talking about bibbs next year how he is way better than hillman.

slim
03-15-2016, 01:28 PM

And you will all be talking about bibbs next year how he is way better than hillman.

I think we will be talking about Arian Foster.

turftoad
03-15-2016, 01:29 PM

Hillman needs to go too.

turftoad
03-15-2016, 01:29 PM
I think we will be talking about Arian Foster.

I think we will be talking about Alfred Morris.

GEM
03-15-2016, 01:31 PM

Except in pay. :laugh:

I love me some CJ, if we weren't going to resign him, we did him a solid. We made sure he got paid.

TXBRONC
03-15-2016, 01:35 PM

I don't know about that Under.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-15-2016, 01:36 PM
Restricted free agent C.J. Anderson's four-year, $18 million offer sheet with the Miami Dolphins wasn't the highest deal on the table for the in-limbo Denver Broncos tailback.

The Bears offered $19 million over four years, Mike Klis of KUSA in Denver reported.

Although coach John Fox recently expressed confidence in Ka'Deem Carey, he wanted to pair Anderson with Jeremy Langford in Chicago's backfield, per Klis.

Anderson chose the Dolphins' offer "in large part" because of his familiarity with new coach Adam Gase's offense. Gase set records as Denver's offensive coordinator in 2013 and 2014, and even once referred to Anderson as a "little chubby sometimes."

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000644103/article/report-bears-made-highest-offer-to-cj-anderson

slim
03-15-2016, 01:42 PM
I thought today was the deadline?

Lancane
03-15-2016, 01:48 PM
I thought today was the deadline?

2pm out time not eastern.

Valar Morghulis
03-15-2016, 01:55 PM
I think we will be talking about Alfred Morris.

Me too

Cugel
03-15-2016, 02:05 PM
Apparently the Broncos are giving some thought to matching, which I would never have believed a week ago. But, they lost Osweiler and Malik to FA and aren't paying those dudes so maybe they feel they can afford it. They should have given C.J. the second round tender so they wouldn't have to pay more than $2.3M a year (2015 2nd round tender amount - it's slightly higher this year) if they wanted to keep him though.

But, remember this is the ZBS that made Olandis Gary a 1000 yard rusher, got Mike Anderson 1400 yards, and made stiffs like Reuben Droughns, Tatum Bell, and Peyton Hillis into starting caliber backs. The minute these guys left town, they disappeared.

Hell, wasn't it Tatum Bell whose career was over, he was out of football and working in a Denver phone kiosk when Shanny called him and said "we've lost 3 starting RBs how about you come in and start for us this Sunday?!" He had 3 practices, wasn't even in the NFL, wasn't in football shape and he comes in and starts and gets about 75 yards.

It's the system. If they have good OL they can take a stiff and turn him into a serviceable back. And they can take a good RB like Clinton Portis and turn him into an 1800 yard rusher - and then trade him to the Redskins for Champ Bailey when he wants to get paid - one of the most lopsided trades in NFL history. :beer:

VonDoom
03-15-2016, 02:07 PM
Per Schefter, we're matching - CJ is staying:

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 13s14 seconds ago

Broncos have informed RB CJ Anderson they are matching Miami's offer sheet, per source. He stays in Denver.

BroncoWave
03-15-2016, 02:09 PM
Wow. Guess Elway does think pretty highly of CJ. I hate to criticize Elway, but this does confirm that he pretty badly misjudged CJ's market value with the tender he gave him.