PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Free Agent Signings

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2016, 09:46 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 3m

Hearing a three-year deal for Donald Stephenson from #Broncos... This wouldn't rule out Clady's return...

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2016, 09:48 PM
Southwestconnection ‏@NFL_Signatures 2m

Report: Donald Stephenson To Sign With Denver: John Elway has began to restock the offensive line. http://foxs.pt/21XTzA5

Lancane
03-08-2016, 09:58 PM
He is purely a depth addition who will get a shot at right tackle.

Joel
03-08-2016, 10:05 PM
EVERY time: Keep seeing "Donald Stephenson," reading "Dwight Stephenson" and getting all excited before I remember Reagan's not president anymore. :redface:

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 10:12 PM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 5m5 minutes ago

Donald Stephenson, 27, started 21 of 60 games in 4 years with KC. Played left & right tackle. Best fit a swing tackle, could compete for RT.

NightTerror218
03-08-2016, 10:19 PM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 5m5 minutes ago

Donald Stephenson, 27, started 21 of 60 games in 4 years with KC. Played left & right tackle. Best fit a swing tackle, could compete for RT.

Could mean trying schofield at RG or cut him

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 10:25 PM
I can't decide if this is a positive or not:

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 5m5 minutes ago

Broncos love Stephenson. Perfect fit for their system.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2016, 10:34 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 52s

OT Donald Stephenson deal with Broncos in $5 million per range. That's starter money. http://www.9news.com/sports/broncos-to-add-starting-offensive-tackle-donald-stephenson/74205262 …
via @@9NEWS #9news #9sports

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 10:39 PM
5 mil a year? Shit, hope this guy is good.

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 11:12 PM
Five million a year for this guy? I don't like the sound of this. Chiefs fans are happy he's signing with us, which isn't a good sign.

Lancane
03-08-2016, 11:22 PM
That's cray-cray as they say, signing a career backup with starter money.

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 11:26 PM
That's cray-cray as they say, signing a career backup with starter money.

Like Klis said, if they're paying him $5 million a year, he's starting. I guess they like what they see, though their taste in o-linemen has been questionable at best. I just wonder if they were bidding against themselves. Did anyone else have this guy on their radar, and for that kind of money?

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 2m2 minutes ago

The #Broncos had an O-lineman as top target to sign among other teams' free agents and it turned out to be Donald Stephenson.

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 30s31 seconds ago

27-year-old Stephenson also fits Elway's preferred profile in FA -- player headed to second contract who is under 28 years old.

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 33s34 seconds ago

Stephenson versatile as well, played both T spots and some G, #Broncos believe Sambrailo could start at either T or G, so they have choices.

Lancane
03-08-2016, 11:35 PM
This kid was owned by Khalil Mack, not as bad as a certain Bronco lineman, but bad enough that I cringe about this sighning.

Tned
03-09-2016, 12:01 AM
This kid was owned by Khalil Mack, not as bad as a certain Bronco lineman, but bad enough that I cringe about this sighning.

The list of people owned by Mack is fairly long.

dogfish
03-09-2016, 12:01 AM
Broncos love Stephenson. Perfect fit for their system.

oh, shit. . . somewhere, jaded is about to set his house on fire. . .

Lancane
03-09-2016, 12:08 AM
The list of people owned by Mack is fairly long.

True T, but check out PFF and the bad showings he's had. I can only hope this is a Tony Jones type signing in which he is better in the system then he was elsewhere!

Simple Jaded
03-09-2016, 02:04 AM
oh, shit. . . somewhere, jaded is about to set his house on fire. . .

Actually, he IS the athlete people keep insisting that Samprolo is. If that flabby, Joe Six-pack "fits the system" Stephenson sure as **** does.

7DnBrnc53
03-09-2016, 04:21 AM
True T, but check out PFF and the bad showings he's had. I can only hope this is a Tony Jones type signing in which he is better in the system then he was elsewhere!

Actually, Jones was good with Cleveland and Baltimore, making an All-Pro team in 94.

With Stephenson, though, that is possible. He didn't rate too high on those rankings, but he already is an upgrade over the terrible Scholfield and Sambrailo for LT (if Clady doesn't stay).

Lancane
03-09-2016, 05:22 AM
Actually, Jones was good with Cleveland and Baltimore, making an All-Pro team in 94.

With Stephenson, though, that is possible. He didn't rate too high on those rankings, but he already is an upgrade over the terrible Scholfield and Sambrailo for LT (if Clady doesn't stay).

True, he did but he was so inconsistent that he seemed borderline, he came to Denver and literally became consistent and was a key cog to the lines' success.

I highly doubt he is being looked at as a left tackle, likely as a right tackle so they can move Sambrailo inside at guard, but not sure he is an upgrade despite the bias hate of a few fans, Ty had some positive grades by PFF when he was able to play. As for Schofield, a rotting carcass is an upgrade in comparison.

Rick
03-09-2016, 07:29 AM
Hopefully at that $$ he is a better fit than the other guys that were a good fit, ie Shelly Smith - Gino Gradkowski..

TXBRONC
03-09-2016, 08:43 AM
Actually, he IS the athlete people keep insisting that Samprolo is. If that flabby, Joe Six-pack "fits the system" Stephenson sure as **** does.

Maybe he'll make a good right tackle in this system.

VonDoom
03-09-2016, 10:35 AM
Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez 52m52 minutes ago

Source tells @NFLonFOX that @Chiefs T Donald Stephenson signing 3-yr, $14M contract w/ @Broncos. $10M guarantee ($4M of that for injury)

Edit: I read this as only $6 million fully guaranteed, with the other $4 million for injury. Which means if he sucks, he could be cut after this year. Silver lining?

Cugel
03-09-2016, 11:19 AM
Could mean trying schofield at RG or cut him

No. Schofield is earning $667k or something. They're not getting rid of him just yet. Fans may hate him (I don't like him) but the coaches haven't given up on developing him after his first season as a starter. He will get some work as a backup RT, but what this move of signing a FA tackle might mean is moving Ty Sambrailo inside to RG.

Then it would be:

LT Clady
LG Max Garcia
C Matt Paradis
RT Ty Sambrailo
RT Donald Stephenson, or another FA or a draft OT.

They will still almost certainly pick up a T or G in the draft. Maybe both.

broncofaninfla
03-09-2016, 12:54 PM
Harris and Polumbus will likely be cut in favor of Stephenson. Stephenson will be a back up swing tackle I'm sure, better fit at LT than Scofield.

pnbronco
03-09-2016, 01:04 PM
Alex Marvez ‏@alexmarvez 52m52 minutes ago

Source tells @NFLonFOX that @Chiefs T Donald Stephenson signing 3-yr, $14M contract w/ @Broncos. $10M guarantee ($4M of that for injury)

Edit: I read this as only $6 million fully guaranteed, with the other $4 million for injury. Which means if he sucks, he could be cut after this year. Silver lining?

Sorry Von....all I can still see if the dark cloud....:lol: This guy better be nice or I'll stay bitter.

LTC Pain
03-09-2016, 01:06 PM
Harris and Polumbus will likely be cut in favor of Stephenson. Stephenson will be a back up swing tackle I'm sure, better fit at LT than Scofield.

Stephenson is getting 3 years/$14M, I don't think that is "swing tackle" money. It seems like we have three starting tackles (Clady, Sambraillo and Stephenson), so the question is - who plays Guard?

VonDoom
03-09-2016, 01:12 PM
Stephenson is getting 3 years/$14M, I don't think that is "swing tackle" money. It seems like we have three starting tackles (Clady, Sambraillo and Stephenson), so the question is - who plays Guard?

I would guess Sambrailo? Unless they can't work it out with Clady and they cut him. The pieces of the puzzle are still coming together.

I agree, though, as I said earlier - if he's getting almost $5 million a year, they want him to start somewhere.

Ravage!!!
03-09-2016, 01:25 PM

Hopefully we sign the guard from Seattle

Ziggy
03-09-2016, 01:27 PM
Clearly this Elway guy is clueless when it come to free agency!

Ziggy
03-09-2016, 01:28 PM
Stephenson will be this year's version of Darian Stewart. Before the season- "Who?" After the season- "That was a great signing."

NightTerror218
03-09-2016, 01:31 PM
Stephenson will be this year's version of Darian Stewart. Before the season- "Who?" After the season- "That was a great signing."

I hope so. He rarely misses on his FA signing.

Also, takes from a division rival.

Lancane
03-09-2016, 03:07 PM
Clearly this Elway guy is clueless when it come to free agency!

Depends, outside Vasquez his additions on the offensive line have been low risk, low reward.

Ravage!!!
03-09-2016, 04:27 PM
Depends, outside Vasquez his additions on the offensive line have been low risk, low reward.

but were they cheap?

LTC Pain
03-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Just my two cents but I think Trevathan/Jackson can be replaced via FA signing or the draft. Who our starting QB will be on opening day is humongous question mark!

Lancane
03-09-2016, 04:56 PM
but were they cheap?

Relatively, he did give Clady a huge deal which backfired...maybe he should hire a Vice General Manager who focuses on offense only...lol (kidding), but his offensive line additions are running at about 1 in 4, not really good.

Simple Jaded
03-10-2016, 01:08 AM
No. Schofield is earning $667k or something. They're not getting rid of him just yet. Fans may hate him (I don't like him) but the coaches haven't given up on developing him after his first season as a starter. He will get some work as a backup RT, but what this move of signing a FA tackle might mean is moving Ty Sambrailo inside to RG.

Then it would be:

LT Clady
LG Max Garcia
C Matt Paradis
RT Ty Sambrailo
RT Donald Stephenson, or another FA or a draft OT.

They will still almost certainly pick up a T or G in the draft. Maybe both.

Sambrailo would be LG, Garcia RG, and hopefully somebody else at C.

Ravage!!!
03-10-2016, 01:12 AM
Sambrailo would be LG, Garcia RG, and hopefully somebody else at C.

Get over this... paradis isn't moving from center.

ShaneFalco
03-10-2016, 05:13 AM
i hope the broncos keep Kasa on the squad for next year to see if he can do anything in camp.

VonDoom
03-10-2016, 11:24 AM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 13m13 minutes ago

New #Broncos T Donald Stephenson is at the L.A. airport now. His flight got delayed, but he's expected to land in Denver a little after 12.

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 12m12 minutes ago

Stephenson will have to take a physical and then a press conference is expected sometime this afternoon at Dove Valley.

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 11m11 minutes ago

Stephenson had interest from "13-14 teams" in free agency, but chose the #Broncos because of the zone scheme fit & staying in AFC West.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-10-2016, 06:44 PM
Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 7m

Stephenson: "It feels like home already ... I love everything about Kansas City, but right now, I'm a Denver Bronco."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 8m

Stephenson said "13 to 15 teams" expressed interest in him.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 8m

Stephenson says he's not worried about the QB. "They're going to find a guy that can play."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 9m

Donald Stephenson thinks he's going to be a "perfect" fit ... "They like athletic linemen. I think I'll fit in perfectly."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 10m

Donald Stephenson is speaking.