PDA

View Full Version : Broncos release Louis Vasquez

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 01:03 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 1m1 minute ago

The #Broncos are releasing guard Louis Vasquez, source said. Clearly some space, as he was to hit at $6.75M.

Ravage!!!
03-08-2016, 01:04 PM
wasn't he basically our best OL man?

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 01:05 PM

He seemed to be hurt a lot last year and didn't look like himself. He was going into the last year of his deal and he saves $5.5 million on the cap. I'm not shocked it came to this.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-08-2016, 01:07 PM

In years past he was. I don't know if he was last year.

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 01:08 PM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 58s58 seconds ago

I can confirm #Broncos have released guard Louis Vasquez.

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 1m1 minute ago

The Broncos have released OG Louis Vasquez, as @RapSheet first reported. He had a $6.75M cap hit for 2016.

Davii
03-08-2016, 01:10 PM

Not last year he wasn't. He struggled quite a bit. I don't know if it was injuries, new offense, or what, but he didn't play as well as he had in years past. I'm sure he'll land on his feet somewhere, thanks for the years Louis!

Also, still possible he comes back? Maybe they couldn't reach agreement before the deadline and he still signs a lower contract here? Doubtful, but still possible I guess.

chazoe60
03-08-2016, 01:12 PM
I like Louis a lot and he is still one helluva football player he just doesn't fit this system. He'll get picked up quick and I wish him the best.

VonDoom
It was nice having Vasquez here. He was rock solid for a couple of years and I'm glad he was a Bronco. Sucks to lose him, but that's the way it goes.

VonDoom
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 3m3 minutes ago

Releasing Vasquez saves the #Broncos $5.5M. The team did not approach him to restructure or take pay cut, according to a source.

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 1m1 minute ago

Vasquez has not ruled out a return to the #Broncos on a new deal. His representatives have already reached out to teams on FA market.

UnderArmour
03-08-2016, 01:14 PM
No way he's back. The days of $5-$6 million guards is over for the Broncos with Kubiak in town. I'd anticipate trying to re-sign Mathis or addressing it in the draft, and rolling with Garcia at the other spot.

DenBronx
03-08-2016, 01:14 PM
Not shocked but we still have an awful OL. Maybe he resigns a new deal and we can spread it out a little more.

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 01:20 PM
Somebody asked Vic why Vasquez and not Clady. He says:

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 3m3 minutes ago

Vic Lombardi Retweeted JohnnyG

Clady restructuring. Vasquez released. This I can confirm.

Traveler
03-08-2016, 01:21 PM
They are purging themselves of the big money contract on the OL.
I'm still assuming JE & company are going for almost complete makeover for the OL, with only Paradis, Garcia, Sambrailo, and possibly Schoefield returning.

dogfish
03-08-2016, 01:22 PM
luis was a good dude, and i appreciate his time here. . . the writing was on the wall, though. . . now if we can just get a big chunk of clady's money back. . .

OrangeHoof
03-08-2016, 01:43 PM
I'm not sure Vasquez has much market value elsewhere. I could see him being re-signed at half the cost if Vasquez doesn't let his pride interfere.

Joel
03-08-2016, 01:45 PM
Yes. Just because he "got outplayed" by young rookie/PS guys who were healthy while he played hurt most of the year doesn't change that. EXCEPT for last year he was an OK run blocker but ELITE pass protector who'll be missed, especially by our TBD QB. Forget re-signing him for $2M: SOMEONE will top that (by a lot.)

underrated29
03-08-2016, 01:45 PM
Hmmmm. I feel like someone suggested we should do this very thing earlier in the year. yes, someone did say it and got flamed for it. Who was that??
Thats right!
it was me
:(

slim
03-08-2016, 01:46 PM

Not in 2015.

TXBRONC
03-08-2016, 01:49 PM
I wonder if they will try to re-sign him at a lower price?

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 01:51 PM
Hmmmm. I feel like someone suggested we should do this very thing earlier in the year. yes, someone did say it and got flamed for it. Who was that??
Thats right!
it was me
:(

Don't pull a muscle pleasuring yourself over it.

slim
03-08-2016, 01:52 PM
I wonder if they will try to re-sign him at a lower price?

I don't think so. It didn't seem like he really fit what they want to do....maybe it was injury related, but it didn't look like a good fit.

underrated29
03-08-2016, 01:57 PM
Don't pull a muscle pleasuring yourself over it.

I havent even begun too. Only when all of my suggestions that got flamed come to pass shall I pull out the lube.
*loosening up up both arms right now*

pnbronco
03-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Well dang.....I pretty much knew it was coming but so bummed that it did.....:(

arapaho2
03-08-2016, 03:22 PM
hes a probowl guard in a PBS....hes below average in a ZBS

NightTerror218
03-08-2016, 03:59 PM
hes a probowl guard in a PBS....hes below average in a ZBS

He couldn't do anything last season. Play fell off bad. He was graded bad a lot. Mathis was our best guard in the playoffs.

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 04:05 PM
He couldn't do anything last season. Play fell off bad. He was graded bad a lot. Mathis was our best guard in the playoffs.

I saw some speculation that Mathis might come back for cheap. I would be okay with that. He seemed to fit in as the year went on. I assume Garcia starts at RG, so Mathis would be a nice veteran presence in his natural position.

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 04:12 PM
"It was a little bit of a shock to me,'' Vasquez said in a interview with 9news. "But at the end of the day it's part of the business and (John) Elway's got to do what he feels is best for the team. That's out of my hands.

"Like I told Mr. Elway, I thank him, the Broncos' organization and their great fans for a great three years. It was a helluva ride and I was just fortunate enough to get a world championship while I was there. I guess now it's on to the next phase of my career.''

"That's what Mr. Elway told me is where they were with the salary cap and all that,'' Vasquez said. "And I understood. Taking a step back now and looking at it, it makes sense. He's going to do what's best for the team and I respect that.''

http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/broncos-release-lou-vasquez-owen-daniels-aaron-brewer/73943322

underrated29
03-08-2016, 04:37 PM
classy guy, like him a lot

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 04:39 PM
classy guy, like him a lot

Joe hates him now. He's probably throwing darts at a picture of his face as we speak.

BroncoJoe
03-08-2016, 04:40 PM
Joe hates him now. He's probably throwing darts at a picture of his face as we speak.

Little bit different than someone leaving on their own, with a descent contract offer from the Broncos...

Are you 12?

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 04:41 PM
Little bit different than someone leaving on their own, with a descent contract offer from the Broncos...

Are you 12?

I'm messing with you buddy, not everything has to be totally serious. :)

dogfish
03-08-2016, 05:13 PM
I'm messing with you buddy, not everything has to be totally serious. :)

i think he's suffering from nic fits. . .

NightTerror218
03-08-2016, 05:25 PM
He was cap casualty. He is a great guy, hard decisions when you have a lot of players to pay at once.

LTC Pain
03-08-2016, 06:03 PM
With Sambraillo on the mend, Clady on the mend and restructuring, Vasquez released and Mathis a UFA, I really do think Elway may take 2 OL guys in this draft or via Free Agency.

Per MHH, Elway will pursue a high profile OL FA if/when Jackson leaves.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3/8/11175922/rumor-broncos-to-pursue-top-tier-fa-ol-if-jackson-leaves

Cugel
03-08-2016, 06:39 PM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 3m3 minutes ago

Releasing Vasquez saves the #Broncos $5.5M. The team did not approach him to restructure or take pay cut, according to a source.

Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 1m1 minute ago

Vasquez has not ruled out a return to the #Broncos on a new deal. His representatives have already reached out to teams on FA market.

"Didn't approach him to restructure or take a pay-cut" means they don't want him any more. Period.

Makes sense. The OL was a total disaster. They are getting rid of Evan Mathis, Louis Vasquez, and although they are probably keeping RT Michael Schofield, but he won't start or play outside of disaster.

So, LT Ryan Clady, LG Max Garcia, C Matt Paradis, RG ???, RT Ty Sambrailo are your starters.

They need a RG, but they can find one in FA or the draft.

dogfish
03-08-2016, 07:04 PM
They need a RG, but they can find one in FA or the draft.

or, we can sign a tackle in free agency, and move schofield or sambrailo inside to compete with a rookie at one of the guard spots. . . it's posted on the mane that we may go after arizona OT bobby massie. . .

NightTerror218
03-08-2016, 07:28 PM
Could see more cuts in the next few hours for cap savings

Lancane
03-08-2016, 08:22 PM
No real surprise, Vasquez's production dropped in the ZBS, and I think most of us expected an overhall of sorts...the only two with absolute security may be Sambrailo and Garcia, not sure about Paradis though the coaches like him.

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 08:36 PM
Could see more cuts in the next few hours for cap savings

Colquitt is still possible, though they might have just done it today with all the others if they were really going to. I think they're counting on a pay cut for Clady and a restructure for Ware, so we'll see what tomorrow brings.

No real surprise, Vasquez's production dropped in the ZBS, and I think most of us expected an overhall of sorts...the only two with absolute security may be Sambrailo and Garcia, not sure about Paradis though the coaches like him.

I think Paradis is safe. They like him, he's cheap and he played every single offensive snap this year (our only player to do so). We have enough turmoil on the o-line right now - no need to mess with him, IMO.

Cugel
03-08-2016, 08:57 PM
or, we can sign a tackle in free agency, and move schofield or sambrailo inside to compete with a rookie at one of the guard spots. . . it's posted on the mane that we may go after arizona OT bobby massie. . .

Jeff Legwold said on the radio today that they might draft a T or find one in FA and move Sambrailo inside to G. No indication that they would do that with Schofield though. They only need 1 G because Max Garcia is your LG.

Lancane
03-08-2016, 09:22 PM
Jeff Legwold said on the radio today that they might draft a T or find one in FA and move Sambrailo inside to G. No indication that they would do that with Schofield though. They only need 1 G because Max Garcia is your LG.

That makes sense; LT: Clady, LG: Garcia, C: Paradis, RG: Sambrailo, RT: Massie, then draft a left tackle prospect and swing guard.

ShaneFalco
03-08-2016, 10:05 PM
Vasquez pushed cj in the end zone in the sb.

People seem so willing to sacrafice everyone for a unproven qb that won a few games.

I hope Brock leaves. So denver can at least try to keep people who won them a sb.

Lancane
03-08-2016, 10:08 PM

People seem so willing to sacrafice everyone for a unproven qb that won a few games.

I hope Brock leaves. So denver can at least try to keep people who won them a sb.

That is a classless statement below you. They were freeing up monies for more then Brock and news flash, without the wins with him at the helm we are the second or third seed and may not make it to the SB!

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 10:17 PM

So we should overpay for a guy who is on the downside of his career and not a great fit in this scheme (Vasquez) because he made a good play in the Super Bowl? Do you just actively try to come up with the dumbest statements possible to make? If you ran this team we would still have Tim Tebow and would never have even SNIFFED a Super Bowl, so maybe it's time for you to just shut up and let the people with at least a shred of common sense talk.

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 10:22 PM

If Brock doesn't beat NE and Cincy in crunch time, we don't win the Super Bowl.

NightTerror218

You realize without a QB your team in crap and won't amount to anything.

BroncoWave

Don't try to use logic and common sense with Shane. He has a tenuous relationship with those things.

ShaneFalco
03-08-2016, 10:24 PM
Overypay? no. But they didnt even try to renegotiate with him.

Yea then come the personal insults, because you cant handle the fact that i am calling out, that this team is getting rid of people who actually won them the SB for a UNPROVEN QB for 15m.

ShaneFalco
03-08-2016, 10:25 PM
Don't try to use logic and common sense with Shane. He has a tenuous relationship with those things.

your're such giant tool, is there anyone on this forum you dont try trolling? or crying about?

ShaneFalco
03-08-2016, 10:26 PM
you mean the game where he threw for 250 yards or so...

and cj had 2 touchdowns and 100+ yards?

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 10:27 PM
Overypay? no. But they didnt even try to renegotiate with him.

Yea then come the personal insults, because you cant handle the fact that i am calling out, that this team is getting rid of people who actually won them the SB for a UNPROVEN QB for 15m.

Arguing that we should have kept Vasquez for no other reason than he pushed CJ into the endzone is just utter nonsense. Even for you.

And how do you know they didn't try to renegotiate? Do you have a source inside the team we don't know about?

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 10:28 PM
your such giant tool, is there anyone on this forum you dont try trolling? or crying about?

Is there anyone on this forum who has any respect for anything you post ever? I've never seen it if so.

ShaneFalco
03-08-2016, 10:29 PM
Is there anyone on this forum who has any respect for anything you post ever? I've never seen it if so.

Wave its okay if you go through PMS on a weekly basis. I forgive you.

ShaneFalco
03-08-2016, 10:30 PM
Arguing that we should have kept Vasquez for no other reason than he pushed CJ into the endzone is just utter nonsense. Even for you.

And how do you know they didn't try to renegotiate? Do you have a source inside the team we don't know about?

No it isnt. Vasquez was one of the better people on the o line. And they didnt even bother approaching him for renegotiation.

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 10:31 PM
No it isnt. Vasquez was one of the better people on the o line. And they didnt even bother approaching him for renegotiation.

Vasquez regressed in a big way this season. And how do you know he wasn't approached to renegotiate?

ShaneFalco
03-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Vasquez regressed in a big way this season. And how do you know he wasn't approached to renegotiate?

it was stated on Denver Radio today.

ShaneFalco
03-08-2016, 10:34 PM
I see Danny T going. Malik Going. Vasquez Going. CJ possibly getting picked up. Maybe even B Marsh. unless Denver matches.

All for a QB.

Its kind of sick to me. Considering these players mattered. Especially Danny T. He is everywhere on Defense. Always involved in the play.

And i am some idiot because this concerns me? Okay then. I would prefer to keep the best D in the league completely intact for a repeat. And all i see on these forums is "oh cj, replaceable, Malik Replaceable, Vasquez , lets just draft a rookie starting guard!"

But when it comes to brock..

"We must not let him go!"

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 10:38 PM
Shane, you should know by now that Elway is not going to overpay to keep guys. It's the same strategy New England uses and it works out pretty well for them. They trust their system and that they can plug guys into it. Denver is using that same model, and with pretty good results so far. Don't worry, it will be ok.

(Now if we lose Brock I might jump more to your side of this, but that is yet to be seen)

pnbronco
03-08-2016, 10:41 PM

So is the what you were thinking???

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 6m
OT Donald Stephenson deal with Broncos in $5 million per range. That's starter money. http://www.9news.com/sports/broncos-to-add-starting-offensive-tackle-donald-stephenson/74205262 … via @@9NEWS #9news #9sports

I get it but I'm just so sad.....

From what I read there was no restructuring offered....

ShaneFalco
03-08-2016, 10:46 PM
Shane, you should know by now that Elway is not going to overpay to keep guys. It's the same strategy New England uses and it works out pretty well for them. They trust their system and that they can plug guys into it. Denver is using that same model, and with pretty good results so far. Don't worry, it will be ok.

(Now if we lose Brock I might jump more to your side of this, but that is yet to be seen)
the thing is, brock could be pissed off at Denver.

So i dont know why we would sacrifice other people for someone like that.

ShaneFalco
03-08-2016, 10:49 PM
the guy was defending pizza in Scottsdale from wild animals, over being at Peyton's retirement.

that says alot.

Jsteve01
03-08-2016, 10:54 PM
Has anyone mention the fact that Brock supposedly prefers O'Brien's offense?

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 11:13 PM

It was mentioned in the Brock thread. Texans reporter John McClain refuted that report, however, and said Brock "loves" Kubiak's system.

Ravage!!!
03-09-2016, 01:33 PM

Yeah.. just not buying this story. Seems so "made up".. that I just can't believe such a silly story coming out as supposed negotiations are going with other teams.

MOtorboat
03-09-2016, 01:36 PM

It's concerning. I'm not sure how it's silly, except if you want to believe it's not true.

ShaneFalco
03-10-2016, 12:07 AM
I see Danny T going. Malik Going. Vasquez Going. CJ possibly getting picked up. Maybe even B Marsh. unless Denver matches.

All for a QB.

Its kind of sick to me. Considering these players mattered. Especially Danny T. He is everywhere on Defense. Always involved in the play.

And i am some idiot because this concerns me? Okay then. I would prefer to keep the best D in the league completely intact for a repeat. And all i see on these forums is "oh cj, replaceable, Malik Replaceable, Vasquez , lets just draft a rookie starting guard!"

But when it comes to brock..

"We must not let him go!"
https://usatbroncoswire.files.wordpress.com/2016/02/vasquez.gif?w=1000

#truth