PDA

View Full Version : Klis: Jaguars to sign Malik Jackson

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 01:02 PM
KUSA—Malik Jackson, a key player on the Denver Broncos’ Super Bowl 50-winning defense, is closing in on becoming a Jacksonville Jaguar, sources told 9News.

The defensive end is finalizing details on a contract that will make him the NFL’s fourth highest-paid defensive lineman, based on annual average over the first three, four and five years of a long-term deal.

The framework of the deal was negotiated late Monday night by Jackson’s agent Jack Scharf and Jacksonville executive John Idzik.

The contract is expected to be executed shortly after the NFL free-agent market officially opens at 2 p.m. Wednesday.

The Broncos, Chicago Bears and Oakland Raiders were also bidding for Jackson during the free-agent tampering period that opened Monday. Kansas City and Washington were among the other teams that also expressed interest.

http://www.9news.com/sports/broncos-defensive-end-malik-jackson-about-to-join-jacksonville-jaguars/73923013

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 01:06 PM
Josina Anderson ‏@JosinaAnderson 51s52 seconds ago

Just got off the phone with #Broncos DE Malik Jackson. I asked if definitively intends to leave Denver for Jacksonville. He said, “yes."

Davii
03-08-2016, 01:08 PM
I hope it works out for you Malik. I hope it works out for the Broncos more, but I wish you the best!

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 01:09 PM
The Jaguars have a ton of cap space and they love them some ex-Broncos. All things considered, I'd rather him go there than the Raiders. Should make the game in Jacksonville next year a little more fun.

GEM
03-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Bye bitch! Sorry, not sorry. If you ain't with us, you're against us.

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 01:13 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago

It's a 6-year deal for the #Jaguars and DT Malik Jackson. He'll sign when the league year opens tomorrow.

Davii
03-08-2016, 01:15 PM
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 2m2 minutes ago

It's a 6-year deal for the #Jaguars and DT Malik Jackson. He'll sign when the league year opens tomorrow.

I'm sure they opened the vault. Good for him, he'll have a longer offseason to spend the extra money...

broncofaninfla
03-08-2016, 01:16 PM
Going to Jacksonville never to be heard of again. Glad to see Elway didn't overspend to keep him.

Ziggy
6 years. I'm guessing 84-90 mill.

VonDoom
Terrance Knighton ‏@MisterRoast98 3m3 minutes ago

Get that money Malik!

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 01:17 PM

Harsh! He was a big part of this Super Bowl winning team. I'm not gonna get on his case for chasing the money.

chazoe60
03-08-2016, 01:17 PM
Can't blame a guy for choosing a huge contract when he can and I'm glad the Broncos didn't overpay. Paying Malik like the 4th best DL in the league is certainly overpaying. Wolfe is a better player and I'm glad John signed him before FA even started.

GEM
03-08-2016, 01:18 PM
I don't blame him, but he's no longer a Bronco. I don't love players from other teams.

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 01:19 PM
And in the long run, the benefit to us ...

Nick Korte ‏@nickkorte 1m1 minute ago

No surprise, but Malik Jackson's deal with JAX will almost certainly put a 2017 3rd round compensatory pick on the board for the Broncos.

GEM
03-08-2016, 01:19 PM
Harsh! He was a big part of this Super Bowl winning team. I'm not gonna get on his case for chasing the money.

I'm with Joe...if you aren't a Bronco, we can't be friends. :laugh:

chazoe60
03-08-2016, 01:20 PM
I don't blame him, but he's no longer a Bronco. I don't love players from other teams.

I still loved Steve Atwater when he played for the Jets, even bought a Jets hat to show my support.

UnderArmour
03-08-2016, 01:20 PM
He's not a top 5 3-4 DE. Really happy for the guy though. He's going to pocket a lot of money with no state income tax, and he's going a division where his team(well, any team) has a chance to compete for a playoff spot. In an ideal world, we re-sign Miller and tag Jackson, but that's just not the way it worked out.

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 01:21 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m1 minute ago

If and when DL Malik Jackson does sign with Jacksonville, deal expected to come in at about $15 million per season, per source.

GEM
03-08-2016, 01:21 PM
I still loved Steve Atwater when he played for the Jets, even bought a Jets hat to show my support.

OK, I fibbed there a little. Lifelong Broncos who go somewhere for a year or two, I make an exception. Atwater and Sharpe I still worship. ;)

GEM
03-08-2016, 01:22 PM
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 1m1 minute ago

If and when DL Malik Jackson does sign with Jacksonville, deal expected to come in at about $15 million per season, per source.

Didn't the Broncos offer that?

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 01:22 PM

You don't have to love him, but it seems a little much to shit on a guy who was just a key cog in a title team. Nothing wrong with being grateful for his efforts in helping bring a Super Bowl to Denver.

GEM
03-08-2016, 01:23 PM
Going to Jacksonville never to be heard of again. Glad to see Elway didn't overspend to keep him.

Him and Julius Thomas can get mani/pedis in January together. :D

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 01:23 PM

No they were offering like 11 or 12.

chazoe60
03-08-2016, 01:24 PM

No, I think what I heard was that we offered in the neighborhood of $11M/yr and we might be willing to go as high as $12M.

Davii
You don't have to love him, but it seems a little much to shit on a guy who was just a key cog in a title team. Nothing wrong with being grateful for his efforts in helping bring a Super Bowl to Denver.

"Shit on"? I didn't see her say he was garbage, a terrible player, a piece of shit, etc.... I guess our definitions of "shitting on" someone differ.

VonDoom

I don't think they ever went that high. The only time that number came up was that would have been his tag number if we had signed Von long term. Plus, the guarantees in that Jags deal are probably super high. We're paying Wolfe less than $10 million a year - I would have been shocked if Elway went to $15 for his counterpart.

GEM

I'm grateful for what he did during his time here, he's not here anymore. He chased the money and he won....congrats to him. Doesn't mean I need to cartwheel for him. He just made MY team a bit worse off. No reason for me to cheer him on.

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 01:26 PM
"Shit on"? I didn't see her say he was garbage, a terrible player, a piece of shit, etc.... I guess our definitions of "shitting on" someone differ.

"Bye bitch" is what I was referring to. I guess I just don't see where taking an extra 24 million over the life of the contract (plus no state income tax) makes one a bitch. What Elvis Dumervil did makes him a bitch. Don't see that with Jackson though.

dogfish
03-08-2016, 01:27 PM
later, dude. . . i'll always appreciate the work you put in here-- you were a valuable cog in the best defense we've ever had, it was a blast to watch. . . best of luck to ya going forward, as long as you aren't playing us. . .

with bortles and the passing game making real strides last year, the jags have a chance to finally become relevant this year. . .

GEM
03-08-2016, 01:28 PM
"Bye bitch" is what I was referring to. I guess I just don't see where taking an extra 24 million over the life of the contract (plus no state income tax) makes one a bitch. What Elvis Dumervil did makes him a bitch. Don't see that with Jackson though.

I was mostly posting that in jest. Instead of ByeFelicia.

I get it, go after the money. But the pitfalls of chasing money to a expansion team with a history of losing will hurt that guys pride.

He's just not a Bronco, he hurt my team in the process, so it's buhbye in my book. :shrugs: I'll always be team first, player second.

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 01:28 PM
later, dude. . . i'll always appreciate the work you put in here-- you were a valuable cog in the best defense we've ever had, it was a blast to watch. . . best of luck to ya going forward, as long as you aren't playing us. . .

with bortles and the passing game making real strides last year, the jags have a chance to finally become relevant this year. . .

Yeah they seem to be going in the right direction. The AFC South could be really tough here soon if Houston gets a QB and Indy rebounds. And you still have Mariota improving in Tennessee. I could see that division surprising people this year.

Davii
03-08-2016, 01:29 PM

That's a term of endearment for GEM. You should hear what she says about people she doesn't like. There's no curse filter in the mod lounge, it gets pretty heated in there when we start talking about members that aren't here to help the forum anymore.

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 01:30 PM
I was mostly posting that in jest. Instead of ByeFelicia.

I get it, go after the money. But the pitfalls of chasing money to a expansion team with a history of losing will hurt that guys pride.

He's just not a Bronco, he hurt my team in the process, so it's buhbye in my book. :shrugs: I'll always be team first, player second.

I'm not as low on the the Jags as others seem to be. Obviously not the same type of franchise as the Broncos, but I think they have a nice young nucleus with Bortles and Bradley. No NFL franchise stays down forever. Unless you're the Browns that is. :lol:

Dreadnought
OK, I fibbed there a little. Lifelong Broncos who go somewhere for a year or two, I make an exception. Atwater and Sharpe I still worship. ;)

I pretty much root for virtually all ex-Broncos on a strict 2nd tier basis, unless they really sucked for us, were goldbricks, turds, or I didn't think they tried all that hard. E.G. Eddie Kennison, Dale Carter, Nate Webster, Jake Plummer

As for the others I remember their best contributions, such as they were. Clinton Portis 5 TD game v. the Chiefs, Decker 4 TD passes v. the Chiefs, Cutler beating the Chargers in the Ed Hochuli game, etc. If we lose CJ (Heaven forbid!) I will forever remember him beating the Pats, ditto Osweiler.

BroncoWave
That's a term of endearment for GEM. You should hear what she says about people she doesn't like. There's no curse filter in the mod lounge, it gets pretty heated in there when we start talking about members that aren't here to help the forum anymore.

I can only imagine what's been said about me in there. :lol:

Davii
Yeah they seem to be going in the right direction. The AFC South could be really tough here soon if Houston gets a QB and Indy rebounds. And you still have Mariota improving in Tennessee. I could see that division surprising people this year.

The jags will still be the jags. I do see the division improving which is why I said he'll have a longer offseason to spend his money as he will be lucky to make the playoffs at all rather than it being the minimum expectation.

GEM
03-08-2016, 01:31 PM
I pretty much root for virtually all ex-Broncos on a strict 2nd tier basis, unless they really sucked for us, were goldbricks, turds, or I didn't think they tried all that hard. E.G. Eddie Kennison, Dale Carter, Nate Webster, Jake Plummer

As for the others I remember their best contributions, such as they were. Clinton Portis 5 TD game v. the Chiefs, Decker 4 TD passes v. the Chiefs, Cutler beating the Chargers in the Ed Hochuli game, etc. If we lose CJ (Heaven forbid!) I will forever remember him beating the Pats, ditto Osweiler.

I just can't do it. Once they're gone, they're gone. I don't even follow Decker anymore and I loved that guy.

Davii
03-08-2016, 01:32 PM

You're still here contributing. It's typically more that we wish you'd step your game up, your age is starting to show. We need more.

GEM

Take your imagination and multiply it by 20. :heh:

chazoe60
As much as I like Malik and appreciate what he helped this franchise achieve this year I will not miss the 15yard penalties. Hopefully we don't lose the edge that he brought but not giving the other team an extra 15 yards can be a bit of a silver lining.

GEM
03-08-2016, 01:33 PM

******* wookie! I kid I kid! :D

Dreadnought
03-08-2016, 01:33 PM
I just can't do it. Once they're gone, they're gone. I don't even follow Decker anymore and I loved that guy.

My daughter is a Jets fan, becoming hardcore too. I still root for him unless its against us, as we root for each others teams as a matter of courtesy

chazoe60
03-08-2016, 01:34 PM
I heard Gem walks around topless in the Mod lounge. Where can I put in an application?

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 01:35 PM
The jags will still be the jags.

Maybe, but with as much turnover as there is year to year in the NFL, and with the young nucleus they have, I could see them becoming relevant soon.

GEM
03-08-2016, 01:35 PM
My daughter is a Jets fan, becoming hardcore too. I still root for him unless its against us, as we root for each others teams as a matter of courtesy

Dread, you need to have a talk with that girl. I stripped 2 of my kids of their sickness finally. Broncos number 1, Green Bay is now a DISTANT number 2. :rockon:

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 01:36 PM
I heard Gem walks around topless in the Mod lounge. Where can I put in an application?

Sounds way better than the HOF lounge where we have to deal with MO walking around topless.

GEM
03-08-2016, 01:36 PM
Sounds way better than the HOF lounge where we have to deal with MO walking around topless.

I laughed out loud! :D

slim
03-08-2016, 01:37 PM

Fairy

Joel

No surprise, but Malik Jackson's deal with JAX will almost certainly put a 2017 3rd round compensatory pick on the board for the Broncos.
Hadn't thought about that but: Yet another bonus. The competition blows a ton of cap space paying a guy TWICE what he's worth, we have one less 8-figure annual salary to fit under our cap AND we get a pick at the end of 3rd in 2017 (when we may desperately need it.) Win-win-win.

Thanks for help with the Lombardi, Malik; have fun on your 5-11 team with Teal Julius and Beadles—oh wait, just Teal Julius now (great eye for talent down there.)

chazoe60
Fairy

I'll keel you.

GEM
03-08-2016, 01:38 PM
i'll keel you.

silence!!!

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 01:39 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1m1 minute ago

Hearing that guarantee to DE Malik Jackson closer to $40 M than $30 M...If that's case, easy decision for him. That's elite money

Davii
03-08-2016, 01:40 PM
Maybe, but with as much turnover as there is year to year in the NFL, and with the young nucleus they have, I could see them becoming relevant soon.

We've heard that same thing how many times?

Still not true.

GEM
03-08-2016, 01:41 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1m1 minute ago

Hearing that guarantee to DE Malik Jackson closer to $40 M than $30 M...If that's case, easy decision for him. That's elite money

Makes a ton of sense for him, I was a bit harsh, but he can still go suck a banana.

DenBronx
There was noway we could of kept him. He's a beast and the Jags just got a damn good player. This is one of the shitty things about free agency and the cap. You lose good players sometimes.

I'd love to see us retain both Danny T and Brandon Marshall. I feel like we can address the loss of Malik in the draft, it is very deep this year and continue to be dominant on defense.

BroncoWave

Still not true.

What isn't true?

Dreadnought
03-08-2016, 01:42 PM
Dread, you need to have a talk with that girl. I stripped 2 of my kids of their sickness finally. Broncos number 1, Green Bay is now a DISTANT number 2. :rockon:

I've tried to tell her that being a Jets fan is a dark road that usually ends in tears. Sure, its all good when Geno Smith gets his jaw busted, clearing the way for Ryan Fitzpatrick and his mighty beard, and maybe the best WR tandem in the NFL, yayda yada...but in the end, they choked against Buffalo. Just like they've always done.

I suspect she became a Jets fan due to a touch of teenage rebellion. And a boy she had a crush on two years ago.

Davii
03-08-2016, 01:43 PM
What isn't true?

That they are or will be relevant. They more than likely will not be if history is any indicator. I hear every year that the Jags are a team to watch out for... never comes to fruition.

GEM
03-08-2016, 01:43 PM
I've tried to tell her that being a Jets fan is a dark road that usually ends in tears. Sure, its all good when Geno Smith gets his jaw busted, clearing the way for Ryan Fitzpatrick and his mighty beard, and maybe the best WR tandem in the NFL, yayda yada...but in the end, they choked against Buffalo. Just like they've always done.

I suspect she became a Jets fan due to a touch of teenage rebellion. And a boy she had a crush on two years ago.

Let's just hope it's a phase that she grows out of. :praying:

slim
03-08-2016, 01:45 PM

Still not true.

They continue to overpay to get players in FA. That is not how you win championships.

Dreadnought
03-08-2016, 01:45 PM
Let's just hope it's a phase that she grows out of. :praying:

I'm afraid its more serious than that. She is saving her allowance and choir pay for a Brandon Marshall jersey. The wrong Brandon Marshall, too!

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2016, 01:47 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 9m

TXBRONC
I wish we could have kept him but this is reality.

GEM
I'm afraid its more serious than that. She is saving her allowance and choir pay for a Brandon Marshall jersey. The wrong Brandon Marshall, too!

Oh goodness, it's more serious than I thought. :tsk: Hey, at least it's not the Raiders.

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 01:48 PM
That they are or will be relevant. They more than likely will not be if history is any indicator. I hear every year that the Jags are a team to watch out for... never comes to fruition.

People were saying that about teams like the Lions and Cardinals at one point too, then they became relevant. I'm not saying they for sure will be, but I've seen enough stories of worst to first (in divisions at least) in the NFL to totally discount it.

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 01:50 PM
A Jets fan? Geez, Dread, are you sure your daughter doesn't hate herself? Who would voluntarily put themselves through that?

Edmonton Bronco Fan
03-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Him and Julius can support each other through all the losses and no chance of making the playoffs year in and year out I suppose. I understand NFL careers are short and money isn't guaranteed but given the choice between forgoing an extra 3 million dollars and playing on a winning team compared to that extra bit of dough and playing on a perennial loser is a no brainer.

slim
03-08-2016, 01:53 PM
Suzy, I want to kiss you.

Poet
03-08-2016, 01:54 PM

She is a cruel mistress.

dogfish
03-08-2016, 01:54 PM
Him and Julius can support each other through all the losses and no chance of making the playoffs year in and year out I suppose. I understand NFL careers are short and money isn't guaranteed but given the choice between forgoing an extra 3 million dollars and playing on a winning team compared to that extra bit of dough and playing on a perennial loser is a no brainer.

what about forgoing an extra fifteen or twenty million?

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 01:56 PM

I feel like once you already have a ring, which Malik now does, taking the money is the no-brainer. NFL careers are short and you have to cash in while you can.

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 01:58 PM

Good point. If he plays out the course of the deal, he will make 24 million more than Denver was offering, and really even more if you consider no state income tax in Florida. No player in the history of football would turn down that big of a pay increase to stay somewhere.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
03-08-2016, 01:59 PM

Fair enough and good point. Don't know what we were offering in guarantees and term, but obviously whatever it was, couldn't compete with Jacksonville there.

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 02:00 PM
We should all be praising him, really, for not going to Oakland. That's another team that looks like they could be pretty good pretty soon with the young core of talent they have.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
03-08-2016, 02:00 PM
I feel like once you already have a ring, which Malik now does, taking the money is the no-brainer. NFL careers are short and you have to cash in while you can.

Also a fair point. Disappointment talking more than anything; was optimistic we could make a strong play to keep him up until the end.

slim
03-08-2016, 02:01 PM
Good point. If he plays out the course of the deal, he will make 24 million more than Denver was offering, and really even more if you consider no state income tax in Florida. No player in the history of football would turn down that big of a pay increase to stay somewhere.

The only thing that matters is the guaranteed portion, everything else is just window dressing.

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 02:01 PM
We should all be praising him, really, for not going to Oakland. That's another team that looks like they could be pretty good pretty soon with the young core of talent they have.

I mentioned that earlier in the thread. That would have stung.

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 02:02 PM
The only thing that matters is the guaranteed portion, everything else is just window dressing.

I'm not sure what Denver was offering guaranteed but it probably didn't come close to the 40 million he is getting guaranteed in Jax.

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 02:02 PM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 2m2 minutes ago

#Broncos had about $8.6 million in cap space coming into today. Have nearly doubled that number with recent cuts.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 2m2 minutes ago

As of now, work still ongoing to restructure contracts of DeMarcus Ware + Ryan Clady, seems likely both will remain on Broncos.

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Cameron Wolfe ‏@CameronWolfe 2m2 minutes ago

#Broncos had about $8.6 million in cap space coming into today. Have nearly doubled that number with recent cuts.

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 2m2 minutes ago

As of now, work still ongoing to restructure contracts of DeMarcus Ware + Ryan Clady, seems likely both will remain on Broncos.

Mase said we have about 17 mil in cap space now, but that will almost all be eaten up by Brock's contract. Makes it pretty clear why we weren't able to afford Malik as well.

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 02:05 PM
Mase said we have about 17 mil in cap space now, but that will almost all be eaten up by Brock's contract. Makes it pretty clear why we weren't able to afford Malik as well.

Yep. If Brock signs, that's most of our space. Ware and Clady as restructures and Colquitt as a cut are still possible/likely. The money has to come from somewhere.

slim
03-08-2016, 02:06 PM
I'm not sure what Denver was offering guaranteed but it probably didn't come close to the 40 million he is getting guaranteed in Jax.

It would seem that way. Either that or he really wanted to live in Jacksonville (who wouldn't?).

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 02:08 PM
It would seem that way. Either that or he really wanted to live in Jacksonville (who wouldn't?).

Did you, by chance, watch Ash vs. Evil Dead? Kind of a random question, but if you've seen it, you'll know what I'm talking about.

slim
03-08-2016, 02:08 PM
Did you, by chance, watch Ash vs. Evil Dead? Kind of a random question, but if you've seen it, you'll know what I'm talking about.

I did not.

artie_dale
03-08-2016, 02:10 PM
Tootles, Malik. Thanks for being the guy Elway thought you were (talent and football wise). Have fun in Jacksonville. They are still growing and could use some experienced players. Give Julius Thomas a hard good-game for me.

Poet
How many great years did Jackson have? I'm not trying to downplay his worth to the team, but I thought he was pretty good and last year had a really strong campaign.

VonDoom
I did not.

Alright, never mind. It was kind of a long shot :D

VonDoom
Someone asked Mason about Anunike:

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 3m3 minutes ago

Andrew Mason Retweeted Craig Gary Phillips

He's definitely going to play a part. Saw him around the building last 2 days. Looks good -- in shape, bulked up.

Tebowtime2011
03-08-2016, 02:11 PM
We should all be praising him, really, for not going to Oakland. That's another team that looks like they could be pretty good pretty soon with the young core of talent they have. Now that would've sucked. Reggie McKenzie is really making them into an AFC west annual contender.

slim
How many great years did Jackson have? I'm not trying to downplay his worth to the team, but I thought he was pretty good and last year had a really strong campaign.

I'm not sure last year qualifies as "great", maybe really good.

So none?

Davii

I hate seeing any of our players go within the division, no matter the player or circumstance.

Joel
03-08-2016, 02:13 PM
People were saying that about teams like the Lions and Cardinals at one point too, then they became relevant. I'm not saying they for sure will be, but I've seen enough stories of worst to first (in divisions at least) in the NFL to totally discount it.
The Lions aren't relevant: They had two good regular season in four years but choked in the playoffs both times, then finished 3rd in the NFCN this year. And all that was WITH Megatron. Arians has turned around Arizona (sure they had the SB run before, but that team's probably not 9-7 nor in the playoffs if the NFCW hadn't been perennial garbage until about three years ago) but their playoff record's sketchy, too.

It's very hard to change a teams culture. Maybe Jax is on the way now that they've broken their franchise-long habit of pinching pennies by dumpster diving for subpar players, but there's little sign of improvement yet: They just went 5-11 and finished 3rd in the AFCs worst division. Enjoy, Malik. :)

Timmy!
03-08-2016, 02:18 PM
40 mil guaranteed? Wow. The Jags love to over pay them some Broncos. Thanks for the comp pick, again. Happy he didn't go to the Raiders.

dogfish
03-08-2016, 02:18 PM

dressing can be the best part, as long as you have enough gravy. . .

****, now i'm hungry. . .

DenBronx
03-08-2016, 02:20 PM
I'll take the 3rd round comp pick and not overpay for $5000.

artie_dale
03-08-2016, 02:21 PM

In four years he did this: 14.5 sacks & 108 total tackles (technically, he did that in 3 of the 4 yrs he's been with the team)

With those stats in those three years, he ranked: 22 in 2015, 24 in 2014, and 26 in 2013.

What do you mean "great"?

slim
03-08-2016, 02:22 PM
dressing can be the best part, as long as you have enough gravy. . .

****, now i'm hungry. . .

Now I am too. Thanks :mad:

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 02:23 PM
https://twitter.com/TheMalikJackson/status/707284115867832320

dogfish
03-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Also a fair point. Disappointment talking more than anything; was optimistic we could make a strong play to keep him up until the end.

i'm disappointed as well, but i'm also proud of mailk. . . the guy came in a fifth round pick, and left as a champion, and the most coveted player on the market. . . he put the work in, handled his business the right way-- i love seeing his effort pay off for himself as well as for us. . . kinda sucks that he won't be here to help us going forward, but we got far more return on that pick than anyone could have hoped for at the time-- not to mention the fact that we'll actually get a higher pick back for him. . .

Poet
03-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Wave's point is that the Lions were relevant when people said they never would be again, as well as the Cardinals have two resurgences in recent years. The same can be said for my Bengals in two different stints. Jacksonville looks like it has a real QB (that remains to be seen) and their offense certainly isn't wanting for talent skill players (their WR corp is astoundingly deep). With Julius Thomas and their backfield stable, they got some players. If Jackson isn't a fluke, and I have no idea how good he is or isn't which is why I asked, that takes away a big need from the team. And let's be honest, that division sucks. The Texans aren't a good team. Their offense is pitiful, and their defense is held up by a handful of players.

The Colts should be a superpower in the South, but that hasn't been the case. If I had to pick any team to have dominance over the next few years, that'd be my bet, but I'm not exactly basking in confidence as I make that declaration. The Titans look promising, but MM is a fragile QB, and overall their roster is horrendous. So while there is good reason to have hope in Tennessee, they got a lot of work to do. If those teams can be optimistic for their future, surely Jacksonville has every right to be also be hopeful.

Buff
03-08-2016, 02:26 PM
You'd think this is the first free agent we've ever dealt with reading through this thread. Everyone who has posted take a lap.

slim
03-08-2016, 02:27 PM
You'd think this is the first free agent we've ever dealt with reading through this thread. Everyone who has posted take a lap.

You just posted.

dogfish
03-08-2016, 02:28 PM
Wave's point is that the Lions were relevant when people said they never would be again, as well as the Cardinals have two resurgences in recent years. The same can be said for my Bengals in two different stints. Jacksonville looks like it has a real QB (that remains to be seen) and their offense certainly isn't wanting for talent skill players (their WR corp is astoundingly deep). With Julius Thomas and their backfield stable, they got some players. If Jackson isn't a fluke, and I have no idea how good he is or isn't which is why I asked, that takes away a big need from the team. And let's be honest, that division sucks. The Texans aren't a good team. Their offense is pitiful, and their defense is held up by a handful of players.

The Colts should be a superpower in the South, but that hasn't been the case. If I had to pick any team to have dominance over the next few years, that'd be my bet, but I'm not exactly basking in confidence as I make that declaration. The Titans look promising, but MM is a fragile QB, and overall their roster is horrendous. So while there is good reason to have hope in Tennessee, they got a lot of work to do. If those teams can be optimistic for their future, surely Jacksonville has every right to be also be hopeful.

jacksonville is also getting dante fowler back. . . i actually think they're going to win the south this year. . . indy and houston both have garbage rosters that are propped up by a couple of superstars, IMO. . .

Poet
03-08-2016, 02:30 PM
In four years he did this: 14.5 sacks & 108 total tackles (technically, he did that in 3 of the 4 yrs he's been with the team)

With those stats in those three years, he ranked: 22 in 2015, 24 in 2014, and 26 in 2013.

What do you mean "great"?

I mean in relation to other players at his position.

Poet
jacksonville is also getting dante fowler back. . . i actually think they're going to win the south this year. . . indy and houston both have garbage rosters that are propped up by a couple of superstars, IMO. . .

If Bortles is real they could.

VonDoom
Klis says 6 years, $90 million, $42 million fully guaranteed. That's big bucks:

The defensive end has reached an agreement on a six-year, $90 contract that will make him the NFL’s fourth highest-paid defensive lineman -- fifth highest defensive player overall -- based on annual average over the first three, four and five years of a long-term deal.

Jackson's deal is for $85.5 million over six years. He can also make an additional $4.5 million in playing time incentives in the last three years of his deal.

The framework of the deal was negotiated late Monday night by Jackson’s agent Jack Scharf and Jacksonville executive John Idzik. The contract is expected to be executed shortly after the NFL free-agent market officially opens at 2 p.m. Wednesday.

The Broncos, Chicago Bears and Oakland Raiders were also bidding for Jackson during the free-agent tampering period that opened Monday. The Kansas City Chiefs and Washington Redskins were among the other teams that also expressed interest.

A big reason why Jacksonville won the Jackson sweepstakes: He is receiving $45 million in the first three years of the deal with $42 million of that fully guaranteed against skill, injury and salary cap. Jackson's three-year average of $15 million surpasses the $14.8 million three-year average Tampa Bay gave defensive lineman Gerald McCoy two years ago

http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/malik-jackson-agreement-with-jaguars-6-years-90-million/73923013

Buff
03-08-2016, 02:31 PM
You just posted.

The rules don't apply to me.

dogfish
03-08-2016, 02:34 PM
The rules don't apply to me.

you don't even work on this floor!

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 02:43 PM

Well said. It's an easy position to take to say "Well the Jags have sucked for a while so clearly they will keep sucking", but if you actually critically examine their roster and the division they are in, it's completely reasonable to see the light at the end of the tunnel for them.

artie_dale
03-08-2016, 02:44 PM
I mean in relation to other players at his position.

He wasn't ranked in the top 50 DTs in 2014 OR 2015, according to Bleacherreport.com.

weazel
03-08-2016, 02:46 PM
boy got paid, good for him

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 02:48 PM
He wasn't ranked in the top 50 DTs in 2014 OR 2015, according to Bleacherreport.com.

Well that would be pretty impressive if a DE was ranked as one of the top 50 DTs.

Jsteve01
03-08-2016, 02:53 PM
We got the better of the two players still on the roster and happen to be able to do it for 6 million less per year

BroncoJoe
03-08-2016, 02:57 PM
:deadtome:

See ya, dipshit.

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 02:59 PM
:deadtome:

See ya, dipshit.

You and GEM should get a room.

BroncoJoe
03-08-2016, 03:00 PM
You and GEM should get a room.

You should support the Broncos better.

chazoe60
03-08-2016, 03:01 PM

My posts have been fair and balanced.

Bronco4ever
03-08-2016, 03:02 PM
I'll miss Malik, but not for this salary. Also, I'm just happy he went to a team other than Oakland.

EastCoastBronco
03-08-2016, 03:04 PM

You're hard core, GEM...and I love it.;-)

artie_dale
03-08-2016, 03:16 PM
Well that would be pretty impressive if a DE was ranked as one of the top 50 DTs.

That would make sense as to why he wasn't top 50. I looked here: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackMa02.htm

Malik Barron Jackson

Position: DT
Height: 6-4 Weight: 284 lbs.

Davii
03-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Well said. It's an easy position to take to say "Well the Jags have sucked for a while so clearly they will keep sucking", but if you actually critically examine their roster and the division they are in, it's completely reasonable to see the light at the end of the tunnel for them.

Sure it is.

artie_dale
03-08-2016, 03:24 PM

According to BR in 2014, he wasn't ranked there either. I don't think a 2015 ranking exists yet. Thanks for ID-ing the flaw.

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 03:32 PM
You should support the Broncos better.

Yes, I should support the Broncos better by hating on a guy who was a key cog on a team that won a title.

BroncoJoe
03-08-2016, 03:33 PM
yes, i should support the broncos better by hating on a guy who was a key cog on a team that won a title.

lol.

NightTerror218
03-08-2016, 03:50 PM
Someone asked Mason about Anunike:

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 3m3 minutes ago

Andrew Mason Retweeted Craig Gary Phillips

He's definitely going to play a part. Saw him around the building last 2 days. Looks good -- in shape, bulked up.

I am hopefully he is a hidden gem.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2016, 03:51 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 14m

Credit agent Jack Scharf for getting $42M guar for Malik. Credit John Elway for getting Derek Wolfe back with $12.5M guar. #9news #9sports

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Troy Renck Retweeted

Chris Harris ‏@ChrisHarrisJr 24m

Y'all know we still got some Dogs on that D line ready

NightTerror218
03-08-2016, 03:54 PM
I think Malik is good not great or elite.

He was a great role player for us. He did not stand out production wise and had a few disruptive plays. I think part of the was that he was a product of the defense. He had a great season but Miller and ware on edges and Wolfe on other side. Those 4 along e would give OL fits. Put ware and Miller on any team and they are difference makers. I think Malik just got paid and will not produce that much on jags who are so depleted talent wise. Malik will now have a lot of attention from OL and disappear.

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 04:14 PM
Hays Carlyon ‏@HaysCarlyon 17m17 minutes ago

After Jackson deal, #Jaguars now only have... the most cap space in the NFL. Still.

GEM
03-08-2016, 04:27 PM
Troy Renck Retweeted

Chris Harris ‏@ChrisHarrisJr 24m

Y'all know we still got some Dogs on that D line ready

Yep. We still got the best that line had to offer. :salute:

Timmy!
03-08-2016, 04:33 PM

If you want drama check the Oz thread, or better yet check it after we give him 30+ mil guaranteed tomorrow.

Speaking of guaranteed money, the fact we got Wolfe for 1/4 of the price Jackson just got shows just how good Elway is at his job.

Northman
03-08-2016, 04:38 PM
Can't blame a guy for choosing a huge contract when he can and I'm glad the Broncos didn't overpay. Paying Malik like the 4th best DL in the league is certainly overpaying. Wolfe is a better player and I'm glad John signed him before FA even started.

All this. ^

Northman
03-08-2016, 04:40 PM

You disgust me.

You can show support without buying gear of another team you fake ass.

Northman
03-08-2016, 04:41 PM

Some people overreact when you dont celebrate a player you like leaving. :lol:

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 04:43 PM
If you want drama check the Oz thread, or better yet check it after we give him 30+ mil guaranteed tomorrow.

Speaking of guaranteed money, the fact we got Wolfe for 1/4 of the price Jackson just got shows just how good Elway is at his job.

I think there will be a way bigger meltdown if we don't sign him than if we overpay him. I think most people have braced for the fact that he's probably getting a pretty hefty contract.

NightTerror218
03-08-2016, 05:11 PM
Miami closing on deal with Super Mario

Suh and mario, nice combo.

Bronco4ever
03-08-2016, 05:12 PM

Malik, Suh and Mario on DL. Wow.

Malik is a little farther north in Jacksonville.

Timmy!
03-08-2016, 05:14 PM

Malik, Suh and Mario on DL. Wow.

Ya. No.

dogfish
03-08-2016, 05:15 PM
what time is it in alaska? NT hasn't had his coffee yet. . . :laugh:

NightTerror218
03-08-2016, 05:21 PM
what time is it in alaska? NT hasn't had his coffee yet. . . :laugh:

1:20 lol. In oregon now.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2016, 05:21 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 5m

Remember w Malik Jackson deal w #Jaguars that #broncos would get a third round compensatory pick And they signed Wolfe too

NightTerror218
03-08-2016, 05:22 PM
Malik is a little farther north in Jacksonville.

I got the state right. Dammit

Timmy!
03-08-2016, 05:24 PM
Well, I guess if you put all 3 Florida teams together you might actually have a good roster.

NightTerror218
03-08-2016, 05:25 PM
Well, I guess if you put all 3 Florida teams together you might actually have a good roster.

And amazing cheerleadering squad.

TXBRONC
03-08-2016, 05:33 PM
I got the state right. Dammit

That's worth something.

Joel
03-08-2016, 05:40 PM
Hays Carlyon ‏@HaysCarlyon 17m17 minutes ago

After Jackson deal, #Jaguars now only have... the most cap space in the NFL. Still.
They're perennially near the top in cap space and bottom in record; probably just coincidence. COULD they become contenders in a weak division? Sure; every NFCW team but L.A. did AT THE SAME TIME. But that demands deep and broad changes: Has Jax made them?

Joel
03-08-2016, 05:41 PM
The Manchester Buccaneers vs. London Jagyuwars rivalry will be the eternally epic Packers-Bears of the NFLs UK division. ;)

Cugel
03-08-2016, 06:23 PM
The defensive end has reached an agreement on a six-year, $90 contract that will make him the NFL’s fourth highest-paid defensive lineman -- fifth highest defensive player overall -- based on annual average over the first three, four and five years of a long-term deal.

Jackson's deal is for $85.5 million over six years. He can also make an additional $4.5 million in playing time incentives in the last three years of his deal.

The framework of the deal was negotiated late Monday night by Jackson’s agent Jack Scharf and Jacksonville executive John Idzik. The contract is expected to be executed shortly after the NFL free-agent market officially opens at 2 p.m. Wednesday.

The Broncos, Chicago Bears and Oakland Raiders were also bidding for Jackson during the free-agent tampering period that opened Monday. The Kansas City Chiefs and Washington Redskins were among the other teams that also expressed interest.

A big reason why Jacksonville won the Jackson sweepstakes: He is receiving $45 million in the first three years of the deal with $42 million of that fully guaranteed against skill, injury and salary cap. Jackson's three-year average of $15 million surpasses the $14.8 million three-year average Tampa Bay gave defensive lineman Gerald McCoy two years ago

:eek: I am so happy the Broncos didn't get into a bidding war for Malik. That's just crazy money.

It is totally out of bounds with the rest of their salary structure. Is Malik $5.5M a year better than Derek Wolfe? NO!

I'm most glad because now they can spend the money on Brock.

Does he deserve more money than Aquib Talib? Chris Harris? T.J. Ward?

Jacksonville had over $70M under the cap they have to spend and Malik is a good player. But, they are paying about $2M for every sack he gets.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2016, 06:52 PM
Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 3h

Gimme re-write....Broncos dead money add on after today's moves -- $3.805M total....$2M for Daniels, $1.25M for Vasquez, $555K for Brewer

tripp
03-08-2016, 07:09 PM
Good luck, cya later.

ShaneFalco
03-08-2016, 08:11 PM
there goes part of the best defense in the nfl

Lancane
03-08-2016, 08:45 PM
there goes part of the best defense in the nfl

Everyone knew this would happen. It's funny that so many wanted to keep the D intact, but even with the losses they'll be Top 5 again, it's the offense that needs overhauled.

Cugel
03-08-2016, 08:55 PM
Everyone knew this would happen. It's funny that so many wanted to keep the D intact, but even with the losses they'll be Top 5 again, it's the offense that needs overhauled.

Not only does the Offense need overhauling, they are starting to do it. They Jeff Legwold was on the radio this afternoon talking about how they are revamping the OL. They get rid of Louis Vasquez and his $6.5M contract. They are re-negotiating with Ryan Clady to get him back under contract. They have not made an offer to Evan Mathis. So, next year they should have LT Ryan Clady, LG Max Garcia, C Matt Paradis, RG ???, RT Ty Sambrailo.

So, the need to pick up a starting G somewhere in FA or the draft. They are keeping Michael Schofield as a backup because he's only earning about $660k. They are remaking the OL. They are expected to find 1 or 2 OL in the draft.

I'm not concerned about losing Malik Jackson, I'm glad he's gone. They can give his money to Brock. It's just ridiculous to pay the 6th best player on your defense $15M a year. Good non-call for Elway.

Dapper Dan
03-08-2016, 09:53 PM
Dude got paaaaaaaid. Good for him. Best part is, I don't have to see him in Silver and Black.

BroncoWave
03-08-2016, 10:10 PM
In terms of the return we got, Jackson might be Elway's best ever draft pick. While on his rookie deal he became a key cog in our historic Super Bowl winning defense, and we will get a 3rd round comp pick for him when we only spend a 5th rounder on him in the first place. Hard to beat that kind of return on a 5th round pick.

GEM
03-08-2016, 11:10 PM
Not only does the Offense need overhauling, they are starting to do it. They Jeff Legwold was on the radio this afternoon talking about how they are revamping the OL. They get rid of Louis Vasquez and his $6.5M contract. They are re-negotiating with Ryan Clady to get him back under contract. They have not made an offer to Evan Mathis. So, next year they should have LT Ryan Clady, LG Max Garcia, C Matt Paradis, RG ???, RT Ty Sambrailo.

So, the need to pick up a starting G somewhere in FA or the draft. They are keeping Michael Schofield as a backup because he's only earning about $660k. They are remaking the OL. They are expected to find 1 or 2 OL in the draft.

I'm not concerned about losing Malik Jackson, I'm glad he's gone. They can give his money to Brock. It's just ridiculous to pay the 6th best player on your defense $15M a year. Good non-call for Elway.

That's better then Big Al. He said Paradis is terrible, though for most of the season he consistently rated one of the better centers in the NFL. He said we need 2 tackles, a new center and a guard. DMac said wait, what? What about Sambraillo? Oh, he might be there, might not...2nd round draft pick and they're just going to get rid of him?

I love Big Al, but he says some of the dumbest shit on the radio.

MNPatsFan
03-09-2016, 09:16 AM

No surprise, but Malik Jackson's deal with JAX will almost certainly put a 2017 3rd round compensatory pick on the board for the Broncos.Now I definitely don't understand how the compensatory picks are determined, but I thought the player's playing time and production during the next season factored in to the calculation. If so, wouldn't Broncos fans want and need Jackson to play well at least next season to maximize the compensatory draft pick awarded? Please correct me if I am wrong and the player's playing time and production the next season don't factor in - I doubt I really needed to add this given how quickly and eagerly a number of posters LOVE to correct me!:laugh:

VonDoom
03-09-2016, 09:44 AM
Now I definitely don't understand how the compensatory picks are determined, but I thought the player's playing time and production during the next season factored in to the calculation. If so, wouldn't Broncos fans want and need Jackson to play well at least next season to maximize the compensatory draft pick awarded? Please correct me if I am wrong and the player's playing time and production the next season don't factor in - I doubt I really needed to add this given how quickly and eagerly a number of posters LOVE to correct me!:laugh:

That is a factor, but it starts with compensation. There's some complicated formula about how a comp pick is calculated for each round, but there is a dollar level cut off. A deal that large should automatically go into the third round box. I suppose something else could effect it, but I trust Nick Korte, who does this for a living and has a pretty good track record of predicting these things.

MNPatsFan
03-09-2016, 09:50 AM
That is a factor, but it starts with compensation. There's some complicated formula about how a comp pick is calculated for each round, but there is a dollar level cut off. A deal that large should automatically go into the third round box. I suppose something else could effect it, but I trust Nick Korte, who does this for a living and has a pretty good track record of predicting these things.Sure sounds like you know a lot more about it than I do. I had no idea that the compensation was even a factor in the formula.

tripp
03-09-2016, 02:12 PM
Dave Adams ‏@gamer_dadams 8m8 minutes ago

best quote "Malik got paid so now he and Julius Thomas can watch the playoffs together on TV at Malik's Florida mansion."

Thought that was pretty funny.... although I can see the Jags being a serious contender if they make one or two more key acquisitions.

Buff
03-10-2016, 01:41 PM
I find the backlash to the "trash a player on the way out" to be infinitely more annoying than the people trashing the players. Why should we be happy for the individual over the team that we support? Makes zero sense.

I don't begrudge Malik for getting paid - I would have done the same - but I certainly don't support him now, and he can go EAD. That's what being a fan is all about. We are not supposed to be rational, "fan" is short for fanatic.

LTC Pain
03-10-2016, 01:46 PM
Malik, Brock and Danny can all go chainsaw themselves, like, you know, GEM would if RG ME came here.

BroncoWave
03-10-2016, 01:50 PM
I find the backlash to the "trash a player on the way out" to be infinitely more annoying than the people trashing the players. Why should we be happy for the individual over the team that we support? Makes zero sense.

I don't begrudge Malik for getting paid - I would have done the same - but I certainly don't support him now, and he can go EAD. That's what being a fan is all about. We are not supposed to be rational, "fan" is short for fanatic.

I find your backlash to the backlash annoying. :)

Buff
03-10-2016, 01:52 PM
I find your backlash to the backlash annoying. :)

Well good, then we are on the same page in our annoyance of one another. I wonder where VonDoom and dapper dan - notorious free agent apologists - fall on this.

VonDoom
03-10-2016, 02:06 PM
Well good, then we are on the same page in our annoyance of one another. I wonder where VonDoom and dapper dan - notorious free agent apologists - fall on this.

What do I have to do with you guys being annoyed at each other?

BroncoJoe
03-10-2016, 02:24 PM

Aren't you curious where I stand on the subject?

Buff
03-10-2016, 02:30 PM
Aren't you curious where I stand on the subject?

No, we stand united in orange on this point. #BroncosFans

ShaneFalco
03-10-2016, 03:18 PM
malik said he would have signed cheaper in Denver. if they worked earlier on in season on his deal .

just on nfl network

NightTerror218
03-10-2016, 03:26 PM
malik said he would have signed cheaper in Denver. if they worked earlier on in season on his deal .

just on nfl network

If so letting players test market may bite in ass for once.

Elway is still a young exec and I think Brock is the first bruise he has taken. Elway normally does not miss on FA. But always acting to do contracts might not be the best way to get good value on players. Wolfe and Harris are great contracts he did.

VonDoom
03-10-2016, 03:31 PM

Elway is still a young exec and I think Brock is the first bruise he has taken. Elway normally does not miss on FA. But always acting to do contracts might not be the best way to get good value on players. Wolfe and Harris are great contracts he did.

I could swear I remember them saying they approached Malik in season and he turned it down. They then approached Wolfe and he took it.

tripp
03-10-2016, 03:37 PM

just on nfl network

To add on that.

https://twitter.com/kanard_williams/status/708025139770695680

Northman
03-10-2016, 04:01 PM
Malik is full of shit. If he, Danny, and Brock wanted to be Broncos they would be Broncos. Simple as that.

Dapper Dan
03-11-2016, 12:07 AM

I dislike the backlash to the backlash. How about that?

Dapper Dan
03-11-2016, 12:08 AM
Malik is full of shit. If he, Danny, and Brock wanted to be Broncos they would be Broncos. Simple as that.

I agree. Malik is full of shit.

Valar Morghulis
03-12-2016, 03:42 AM
I agree. Malik is full of shit.

As are my bowels

Joel
03-12-2016, 04:10 AM

Elway annually wins FA by signing the best we need AWAY from competitors, and getting the best rookies no one drafted: It remains to be seen how good he is at KEEPING talented draftees and UDFAs of his own once their rookie contracts end. As you say, he's a young GM, so his original rookies only last year hit the end of their original contracts, bringing Elway and us to the next stage of his NFL GM career.

We'll see how that goes, but "developing All Pros" then waiting till their final contract year to attempt extensions won't "win from now on:" It'll just make the Broncos a farm team for the other 31. Most of the guys we're losing don't bother me much, but a few I'll miss, and how he salvages the QB situation, then locks up most of next years FAs, could prove the difference between an OK GM who had one epic season with a HoF QB vs. a guy who belongs in Canton for GM skills as much as play.

It's hard to miss with the #2 overall pick opposite ANOTHER HoF pass rusher, with the GoAT under center. Both developing and KEEPING guys like Marshall and Wolfe are much harder, so much greater accomplishments. Again, we'll see how it goes as we move into Elways GM Middle Years.