PDA

View Full Version : Thank you, Peyton Manning

VonDoom
03-06-2016, 09:35 AM
Now that it's been officially confirmed by the Broncos, I wanted to post this.

I became a Bronco fan at a young age because I saw John Elway play, and the rest is history. I remember telling someone probably ten to fifteen years ago that if I had been seven years old when Manning was coming into the league, I probably would have been a Colts fan. That's how much I liked and respected Peyton. I always rooted for him in the battles against Brady, and was so happy for him in 2006 when he finally got over that hump. It was safe to say that he was my favorite non-Bronco player ...

... and then he became a Bronco. It was like a dream come true for me - Elway and Manning together in the same organization. I've loved his four years here, and we as fans have enjoyed tremendous success over that time. I hope we continue to win without him, obviously, but he's been a huge part of this team having the most wins of any team over that time period. I remember 2012, and being amazed at watching him play in orange and blue, only to end in that crushing disappointment. I loved watching the most exciting offense I've ever seen in 2013. And I'm very happy the way things turned out for him this past year, as a role player in a Super Bowl winning team.

So, thanks Peyton, for what you've meant to me personally, what you've meant for the Broncos, and what you've meant for the NFL. :salute:

BroncoJoe
03-06-2016, 09:42 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Thank-You-Peyton/5da7849b-2c0f-486a-bd05-d3e903e6001d

Northman
03-06-2016, 10:01 AM
My growing up was similiar to Von Doom in that i grew up with Elway and he easily became my favorite Bronco even before the SB wins. But as far as Peyton goes i never liked him in college and often rooted against him. Not sure entirely why but at the time i did enjoy watching Spurrier and the Gators put the boots to Manning and the Volunteers time and time again so that probably had a lot to do with it. While i respected Manning as a player there was just something that i couldnt latch onto like other people. Wasnt sure how his pro career was going to turn out but Manning went out and became one of the best modern day players of this generation so when he chose to come to Denver i was pretty excited. I knew if anything he would be able to stablize the team and organization after the trainwreck that was Josh McDaniels. So in the end thank you Peyton for taking on a team that had a lot of youth and inexperience and leading us to 2 SB's, there really isnt much more you can ask for from a future HOF QB. But truthfully the thanks cant just be about Manning himself as it was proven that it takes a team to get the job done so i have to also throw my thanks at John, Wade, Kubes, and the entire team for making the right choices and building a team that had hunger, desire, and attitude to bring back the Lombardi to Denver. Total team effort and a great way to send one of the greatest QB's to ever hit the field into retirement.

Thanks Peyton, but thank you Broncos for being the team that i love and have loved for over 35 years. Class act all the way around.

Davii
03-06-2016, 10:27 AM
Thank you Peyton. I've got great respect for the man and have certainly enjoyed the play of the qb. Except when he was kicking our ass. Thanks for the memories Peyton, next stop Canton. I'm curious to see what he does from here, I'm sure football is still burning a fire in him, maybe tv, coaching, straight to a front office... No matter what it is I'm certain he'll be successful.

MileHighCrew
03-06-2016, 10:47 AM
Peyton is one of the few athletes (maybe the only one) that will be remembered for wearing more than one uniform. He will be remembered as a Colt obviously but he will always be a Bronco. Many of his records were set as a Bronco and he has as many championships as a Bronco as he does as a Colt. What a great and storied career and I am so happy he is going out a Champ and the Broncos made that happen for him.
Congrats to Peyton and I am interested to see where he goes from here.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
03-06-2016, 10:48 AM
Thank you for everything, Peyton. You've inspired a generation & have been a consummate professional in everything you've ever done. Helped my Broncos to our 1st Super Bowl in 18 yrs and the most dominant 4 yr stretch in our franchise's history. Changed the way the game was played and redefined playing QB in the National Football League. Don't think there'll ever be another guy who plays the game quite like you.

MOtorboat
03-06-2016, 10:52 AM
It was a great run. Thanks 18.

Shazam!
03-06-2016, 11:13 AM
Dear Peyton,

Thank you. I used to hate you. Then I loved you. You have given fans who have never seen this team at its peak a look into the past and had a taste of what it is like to have success at its pinnacle. I have been fortunate to have witnessed this team at its highest and lowest moments and win with two different Hall of Fame Quarterbacks. I am truly a blessed fan.

Thanks Peyton, best of luck in all you do going forward.

PS - Please do not go to run a Franchise that will one day hurt my Broncos.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
03-06-2016, 11:26 AM
No Peyton Manning thread would be complete without this.

3civzMe80oc

Pudge
03-06-2016, 12:06 PM
On mobile it says the video is private, not sure if it works on desktop

Tned
03-06-2016, 12:08 PM
On mobile it says the video is private, not sure if it works on desktop

Completely different on the desktop. It was amazing.

There is black and white static, and a notice it's private...

Cugel
03-06-2016, 12:18 PM
My growing up was similiar to Von Doom in that i grew up with Elway and he easily became my favorite Bronco even before the SB wins. But as far as Peyton goes i never liked him in college and often rooted against him. Not sure entirely why but at the time i did enjoy watching Spurrier and the Gators put the boots to Manning and the Volunteers time and time again so that probably had a lot to do with it. While i respected Manning as a player there was just something that i couldnt latch onto like other people. Wasnt sure how his pro career was going to turn out but Manning went out and became one of the best modern day players of this generation so when he chose to come to Denver i was pretty excited. I knew if anything he would be able to stablize the team and organization after the trainwreck that was Josh McDaniels. So in the end thank you Peyton for taking on a team that had a lot of youth and inexperience and leading us to 2 SB's, there really isnt much more you can ask for from a future HOF QB. But truthfully the thanks cant just be about Manning himself as it was proven that it takes a team to get the job done so i have to also throw my thanks at John, Wade, Kubes, and the entire team for making the right choices and building a team that had hunger, desire, and attitude to bring back the Lombardi to Denver. Total team effort and a great way to send one of the greatest QB's to ever hit the field into retirement.

Thanks Peyton, but thank you Broncos for being the team that i love and have loved for over 35 years. Class act all the way around.

You know Northman, when I read this post it made me think. I believe I feel something of the same way.

I respected Manning, I liked Manning, but I was never in love with Manning as a player the way I felt about Elway. Probably it has something to do with Manning beating the Broncos like a gong all those times in the playoffs.

But, I think it is partly due to Manning's somewhat machine-like personality, the way never seems to get emotional, just does a little fist clench and trots off the field with his head down after a TD throw.

He was easy to admire, but hard to love as a player. I can even understand why Pats fans love Tom Brady when I see him sprint down the field after a TD and get emotional. I hate him of course, but I can understand Pats fans, like my sister-in-law, being totally loyal to him.

I can't criticize Manning who was the best regular season QB of all time, but emotionally . . . .

Cugel
03-06-2016, 12:20 PM
Dear Peyton,

Thank you. I used to hate you. Then I loved you. You have given fans who have never seen this team at its peak a look into the past and had a taste of what it is like to have success at its pinnacle. I have been fortunate to have witnessed this team at its highest and lowest moments and win with two different Hall of Fame Quarterbacks. I am truly a blessed fan.

Thanks Peyton, best of luck in all you do going forward.

PS - Please do not go to run a Franchise that will one day hurt my Broncos.

I just hope Manning doesn't go and become a politician as some have suggested he might. I would just lose all my respect for him if he did that!

Shazam!
03-06-2016, 12:31 PM
I would hate for this to become an Elway vs Manning thread. There is no comparison. Let's keep focus please.

LTC Pain
03-06-2016, 01:09 PM
No Peyton Manning thread would be complete without this.

3civzMe80oc

I get "please sign in to view video" :(

Bronco4ever
03-06-2016, 01:50 PM
It was an absolute pleasure to watch Peyton MF Manning QB this team. In 4 short seasons, there were some unbelievably memorable moments. We had some low moments too, but to cap it off with a SB50 win... wow! Mission accomplished. Thank you Peyton. You are one of a kind!

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2016, 02:00 PM

Same thing I am getting

tomjonesrocks
03-06-2016, 02:11 PM
Really liked him as a Colt and loved him as a Bronco. His production was insane - if not for Rahim Moore he likely goes to 3 SBs in 4 years.

So glad Denver could give him one win at the end. Didn't want it to end but very relieved he finishes a Bronco.

MasterShake
03-06-2016, 02:26 PM
Like many here, I always hated playing against him as a Colt but loved his time here. AFC West dominance, multiple playoff berths, 2 Super Bowl appearances and 1 Super Bowl win. You can't ask for much more in a 4 year span. My favorite memories are the day we actually landed him in Denver, his comeback against the Chargers from 24 down, beating the Pats TWICE in the AFCCG, and of course Super Bowl 50.

I will never forget how exciting it was when he decided to come HERE. We may never see another historic run with all the records and wins like that so I feel very lucky.

Thank you Mr. Manning! You could have went anywhere and I hope the fans and organization treated you as well as you have treated us.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2016, 02:42 PM
One of my favorites

https://vine.co/v/M03hFuMiXmj

FanInAZ
03-06-2016, 02:47 PM

You need to sign into Youtube to watch this 1, but I still don't know how to get past the "privacy" issue.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-06-2016, 02:57 PM
The Squeeze: Farewell to Manning

http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/The-Squeeze-Farewell-to-Manning/883fbbbf-9367-42d7-9c07-375205bea799

Definitely worth the time to read all of the congratulations to Peyton from all over

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-06-2016, 03:07 PM
One of my favorites

https://vine.co/v/M03hFuMiXmj

Look at Vik and Knighton laughing in the background. :laugh:

LTC Pain
03-06-2016, 03:19 PM
Thanks Peyton:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/denver-broncos/0ap2000000258606/Peyton-s-55

TXBRONC
03-06-2016, 03:34 PM
Thank you Manning for being the quarterback these past four season. All the best to you and your family. :beer:

BroncoJoe
03-08-2016, 08:09 AM
Nice tribute from Eli:

U1r1ItPID8E

VonDoom
03-08-2016, 10:47 AM
Great piece from Brandon Marshall about Manning:

By the end of 2013, Peyton was telling anyone who would listen about this Brandon Marshall guy. I was told that he made offensive coordinator Adam Gase take notice, and Gase came to me one day and said he would bang the table for me to be on the active roster and get a shot. In training camp the following season, I was working to earn a starting role when I did something I’d been trying desperately to do for an entire year. We were in a nickel formation and I dropped into the flats, and Peyton threw the ball to a wide receiver and I cut hard and came up with the interception. I finally got him.

By my third season, in 2014, I was starting at linebacker. This past season, I finished the second on the team in tackles behind Danny Trevathan. Peyton came to me in the locker room the week the Pro Bowl rosters were announced and said, “Hey man, I thought you got snubbed on that Pro Bowl.”

Think about that. Here’s Peyton Manning, at the beginning of the playoffs, dealing with a foot injury during one of the most difficult seasons of his career, telling me I was a Pro Bowl snub. Treat a man as he could be, and he will become what he should be.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/08/nfl-denver-broncos-peyton-manning-tribute-brandon-marshall-linebacker

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2016, 12:09 PM
GREENWOOD VILLAGE, Colo. -- Peyton Manning announced his retirement from the NFL on Monday. The move has many thinking about the void Manning will leave behind if No. 18 decides to leave the city.

That is the case for Alessandro Carollo, the owner of Venice Restorante near the Denver Tech Center. Carollo said the Mannings were regulars at his Italian eatery. He remembers the first time Manning dined at the restaurant.

“Very exciting. We’ve been having a lot of football players here. So we are used to having people like them but we didn’t expect Manning,” Carollo said.

Manning sat with his family at a table that would become his usual spot in the dining room. What might be surprising for some is that Manning didn’t eat chicken Parmesan.

“He had a veal caprese, our version of veal Parmesan,” Carollo said.

For Carollo, it was a pleasure to get to know a side of the champion most fans don’t get to see.

“For us, we are going to lose a great person and the family. The family was really beautiful,” he said.

Manning’s announcement has Carollo and his staff thinking back to the special moments such as seeing Manning share meals with Broncos coach Gary Kubiak and Broncos Executive Vice President of Football Operations and General Manager John Elway.

“They were like a family, like brothers. The way they were talking to each other. I think John Elway and Gary Kubiak are really going to miss Manning,” Carollo said.

They won’t be the only ones. Other standout memories include the time Manning rented a private room to celebrate his wife's birthday and the time Manning was at the restaurant on a night his “Saturday Night Live” skits aired.

Manning asked if they could watch it from the bar's TVs.

“Everyone was here at the bar, enjoying those moments with Peyton Manning,” Carollo said.

Venice Restorante also has catered events for Manning’s PeyBack Foundation. Carollo said it was through several moments over the past few years that he learned what really makes Manning so great.

“This is not a person that does stuff because he wants his name out,” Carollo said.”This is a person because he feels to do it. It comes from his heart.

“He was telling me a story about visiting children at the hospital and reminded me how fortunate we are to have a family that is healthy.”

About a week ago, Manning drove by the restaurant and dropped off a signed Super Bowl picture. Carollo believes it was Manning’s way of saying thank you, and perhaps also goodbye.

“Those are things that make a difference in a person that makes and you get attached to that person,” Carollo said.

video on link - http://kdvr.com/2016/03/07/denver-restaurant-owner-recalls-great-times-with-peyton-manning-and-his-family/#

NightTrainLayne
03-08-2016, 12:45 PM
My top 3 memories of Manning these past few years.

1. His first game as a Bronco. Opening weekend, vs. the Steelers in a prime-time game. I was just giddy watching Peyton in the red-zone run "his" no-huddle. Changing plays at the line, and essentially playing chess with the Steelers defense. It was so fun to watch him doing to them, what he had done to us so many times over the years.

2. The game against Dallas, in Dallas in 2013. I went to this game, and witnessed one of the most amazing offensive exhibitions in NFL history. Both teams @ 50 points, multiple TD throws, and for Manning, one naked bootleg TD. It was so fun watching that performance, from pre-game warmups through the party like atmosphere of the predominate Denver fans after that win.

3. Beating Brady & Belichick in 2013 to go to the SuperBowl. Peyton played a great game, and made some great audibles at the line in a truly dominating fashion.

Davii
03-08-2016, 01:00 PM
Great piece from Brandon Marshall about Manning:

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/08/nfl-denver-broncos-peyton-manning-tribute-brandon-marshall-linebacker

That's probably my favorite one I've read so far. Thanks for sharing!

MOtorboat
03-08-2016, 01:06 PM
video on link - http://kdvr.com/2016/03/07/denver-restaurant-owner-recalls-great-times-with-peyton-manning-and-his-family/#

I watched so much of this stuff yesterday that I forget where it comes from, but someone mentioned that the Manning's want to stay in Colorado because they like a particular school district.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it might have been Polian or Saturday, because they mentioned Brandon Stokley has been pushing for him to stick around.

TXBRONC
03-08-2016, 01:27 PM
I'm glad he was a Bronco and I am pleased as punch that the goal of winning a championship with him at quarterback were realize.

broncogirl7
03-08-2016, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the memories Peyton! Glad you went out on top! Ready for the new generation!

BroncoJoe
03-08-2016, 05:11 PM
I watched so much of this stuff yesterday that I forget where it comes from, but someone mentioned that the Manning's want to stay in Colorado because they like a particular school district.

Edit: Now that I think about it, it might have been Polian or Saturday, because they mentioned Brandon Stokley has been pushing for him to stick around.

Not that he’s going anywhere. Manning said he and his wife Ashley plan on continuing to make Denver their permanent home. Their adorable twins are in school here. They don’t want to move.

http://www.9news.com/sports/in-the-end-manning-retirement-was-never-a-doubt/72637809

Don't know how true this is, since his kids aren't in "regular" school yet. They're in a Montessori school which is typically infant through Kindergarten.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2016, 11:13 PM
Behind the scenes: Manning thanks Broncos staff

Upon Peyton Manning's arrival for his press conference, the Denver Broncos staff welcomed him with a standing ovation as he entered the building. Manning then took time out to personally thank the staff for the years they shared in Denver.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Behind-the-scenes-Manning-thanks-Broncos-staff/77952f5d-42da-4e79-9f0d-60d2e445d214?utm_content=bufferb8ea8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2016, 10:40 AM
This is a long, and very good article, but the following really got my blood boiling once again.

You remained the consummate team player over the next seven weeks - helping Brock break down defenses as he started in your place, giving him hints about the opponent's weaknesses, even sending in a play while watching from the equipment room.

full article - http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3/15/11222524/a-final-letter-to-manning-thank-you

Instead of Osweiler appreciating how Peyton helped him, rather than taking the attitude - "hey kid you are on your own - I don't care if you fall flat on your face", Osweiler went down the road - how dare you bench me.

BroncoJoe
03-16-2016, 10:42 AM
I'm sick of the whole "benching" mantra. He wasn't benched. The clear starter got healthy enough to play and start again.

It's not the Broncos' fault Brock shit the bed in a very important game and wasn't showing any leadership.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2016, 10:44 AM
Did not want to start a new thread for this

WEST HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) -

Football great Peyton Manning could be heading to Connecticut.

It’s all the buzz around town after reports that he was spotted house hunting in West Hartford.

Eyewitness News first heard about a Peyton Manning sighting from a caller into radio partner Country 92.5. The call was from a realtor named Erin, who claimed the recently-retired NFL star was in town looking for homes.

“I'm a real estate agent. I happen to know that Peyton Manning is coming to West Hartford because he looked at two of my listings in West Hartford last week with his realtor,” Erin said on Broadway’s Electric Barnyard.

“So, Peyton Manning was in the area though last week you're saying and he was looking at listings,” the radio host on Country 92.5 asked.

Erin replied “Yep, his agent called me and said we need to look at these properties ad I had to meet them at one because it was an accompanied showing and he said he got a job at ESPN.”

rest - http://www.wfsb.com/story/31477071/peyton-manning-rumored-to-be-looking-at-west-hartford-homes

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-16-2016, 11:27 AM
That's cool, he'd be a great studio guy, or even doing color commentary during games.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-16-2016, 12:38 PM
I'm sick of the whole "benching" mantra. He wasn't benched. The clear starter got healthy enough to play and start again.

It's not the Broncos' fault Brock shit the bed in a very important game and wasn't showing any leadership.

Cutler is no longer #1 on my "hope you fail list".

Denver Native (Carol)
03-18-2016, 11:22 AM
From Irsay/Peyton press conference, which is on now on ESPN and NFL Network

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 7m

#colts retire Peyton Manning's jersey No. 18

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 9m

#colts will place statue of Peyton Manning outside Lucas oil stadium.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-20-2016, 01:34 PM
Without a doubt, Peyton Manning is one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever don an NFL uniform. Some wondered which uniform would be his last.

Now we know.

According to Indianapolis' WRTV's Dave Furst, Manning "thought hard" and "gave serious consideration" to signing a one-day contract with the Indianapolis Colts ahead of his retirement ceremony in Indianapolis on Friday. He ultimately decided not to. Manning will forego such ceremonies and finish his career a member of the Denver Broncos.

While it's true that this decision doesn't mean as much as it does in other sports like baseball, where you're inducted into the Hall of Fame as a member of a specific team (in the NFL, Manning will be inducted as a member of the Broncos and Colts), it still matters. It still matters to Manning - has he ever "thought hard" or given "serious consideration" to anything that didn't? And it matters to the fans that have a bond with Manning after his four years in Denver.

Count me among them. It adds legitimacy to his stay in Denver for me, confirming that he wasn't just collecting a paycheck and padding his Hall of Fame resume while in Mile High Country. He was a Bronco. He bled orange and blue. We bled with him. It adds an extra feeling of gratitude for me when I see my two Manning jerseys hanging in the closet.

His decision reflects his words from a few weeks ago at his Broncos retirement press conference.

"Grateful is the word that comes to my mind when thinking of the Denver Broncos," Manning said. "To all of my Denver teammates, thank you for what you've done for this old quarterback. And of course my gratitude to the Broncos fans everywhere."

"I couldn't have made a better decision coming out to play these last four years in Denver."

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3/19/11270238/peyton-manning-retire-broncos-colts-one-day-contract

Northman
03-20-2016, 01:41 PM
http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3/19/11270238/peyton-manning-retire-broncos-colts-one-day-contract

Wow! Im surprised he is doing that but can totally understand it too.

Valar Morghulis
03-20-2016, 01:54 PM
Love it.

TXBRONC
03-21-2016, 05:42 PM
Wow! Im surprised he is doing that but can totally understand it too.

After what Irsay said about him after they discarded him and draft Luck I'm not surprised.