PDA

View Full Version : Arian Foster, released by Houston, could fit in Denver

Denver Native (Carol)
03-03-2016, 06:09 PM
The Houston Texans released veteran running back Arian Foster on Thursday, saving $6.6 million in cap space, but giving the Broncos a name to consider.

Foster was limited to only four games last season because of an Achilles' injury, which general manager Rick Smith said was the primary reason for his release.

But when healthy, the four-time Pro Bowler didn't lack for production in Houston and saw his biggest numbers when Gary Kubiak was his head coach.

Foster, who will turn 30 in August, was signed by Houston as an undrafted free agent in 2009 and played the first five seasons of his career under Kubiak (2009-13) and four with current Broncos offensive coordinator Rick Dennison (2010-13). Foster rushed for at least 1,200 yards in three of those seasons with Kubiak and Dennison, including a career-high 1,616 yards (4.9 average) in 2010.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29591856/arian-foster-released-by-houston-could-fit-denver

OrangeHoof
03-03-2016, 06:16 PM
Better put a bunch of incentives in it. Overcoming Achilles injuries are almost as bad as knee injuries from what I hear.

dogfish
03-03-2016, 06:24 PM
could fit, but i really don't see the point. . . too much mileage on those tires. . . we have the resources needed to bring in younger, more durable and reliable options. . . if we're going to spend money for veteran depth, it's better spent on an O-lineman-- or matt forte, if they really want to go RB. . .

LTC Pain
03-03-2016, 10:56 PM
No, no, no!

ShaneFalco
03-03-2016, 11:12 PM
30 years old coming off ACL. I dont know....

NightTerror218
03-03-2016, 11:33 PM
30 years old coming off ACL. I dont know....

Achilles not ACL.

He will get a vigorous physical wherever he goes.

tomjonesrocks
03-03-2016, 11:34 PM
I'd take Foster any day of the week.

Just don't see him playing for the vet minimum.

Dapper Dan
03-03-2016, 11:48 PM
I wouldn't hate it, but I really really really hope we stay away.

Joel
03-04-2016, 01:11 AM
For something like the 2nd round tender everyone seems to expect we'll put on CJ, I could definitely see it (assuming he passes a physical. 30's a magic number, and his recent injury history's not good, but his career production's great: That's worth $2-3M/yr for a couple years to share the load with CJ in a system he knows.

Nothing like the $6M+ Houston cut him to save though.

Lancane
03-04-2016, 01:40 AM
I could see Denver signing him to a 2 year deal based on production to split time with Anderson, but either way I still see the Broncos drafting someone as well.

dogfish
03-04-2016, 03:29 AM
I could see Denver signing him to a 2 year deal based on production to split time with Anderson, but either way I still see the Broncos drafting someone as well.

do you think he'd sign a low-salary, incentive-based type of deal? i mean, i don't think he'll exactly have much choice beyond that. . . but i've always seen foster as a pretty smart, self-aware kind of guy. . . is he really going to expose himself to that type of punishment for a couple million more?

Dapper Dan
03-04-2016, 03:54 AM
do you think he'd sign a low-salary, incentive-based type of deal? i mean, i don't think he'll exactly have much choice beyond that. . . but i've always seen foster as a pretty smart, self-aware kind of guy. . . is he really going to expose himself to that type of punishment for a couple million more?

I'm guessing he's at the point where he is looking for guaranteed money.

Lancane
03-04-2016, 04:05 AM

If you structure the deal correctly, so let's say they sign him to a two year deal, if the contract is latent with production bonuses and injury clauses then it will mainly depend on guaranteed money. Simply, would you rather pay 4.5 mil. a season for a Hillman/Anderson backfield or 5.5 mil. a season for a Foster/Anderson backfield?

Lancane
03-04-2016, 04:09 AM
I'm guessing he's at the point where he is looking for guaranteed money.

Exactly! No one is going to guarantee him much due to his history of injuries.

Joel
03-04-2016, 04:37 AM
If you structure the deal correctly, so let's say they sign him to a two year deal, if the contract is latent with production bonuses and injury clauses then it will mainly depend on guaranteed money. Simply, would you rather pay 4.5 mil. a season for a Hillman/Anderson backfield or 5.5 mil. a season for a Foster/Anderson backfield?
Right: It comes down to what pay and role he'll accept to reunite with Kubiak and Dennison. But the reality is that if he can't reach incentive goals in Denver he'll probably never get much ever again. His age and recent spate of injuries place him squarely on the downside of his career in an era when the RB supply/demand ratio is by far historys highest. $2-3M/yr plus incentives is probably the best deal he can get anywhere, and Kubiak/Dennison his best opportunity.

dogfish
03-04-2016, 04:46 AM
Simply, would you rather pay 4.5 mil. a season for a Hillman/Anderson backfield or 5.5 mil. a season for a Foster/Anderson backfield?

neither, for effin' sure!!

if we're signing a vet, i want matt forte. . . or chris ivory, or lamar miller if the price and scheme fit work. . .

i'm mostly about CJ and a draft pick or two, though. . .

Lancane
03-04-2016, 06:33 AM
neither, for effin' sure!!

if we're signing a vet, i want matt forte. . . or chris ivory, or lamar miller if the price and scheme fit work. . .

i'm mostly about CJ and a draft pick or two, though. . .

While I agree with you, Denver will not have the fiscal leeway to break bank on a veteran who is proven and healthy, but they also know their backfield isn't near good enough as is. Foster presents them with a stopgap rotational back who can be a solid tandem with Anderson while grooming someone to be a feature tailback in a season or two.'

Valar Morghulis
03-04-2016, 07:25 AM
Rookie running back all the way, it's the one position I think they can really plug and play, especially when pass protection is not as important as it was in say, 2013

TXBRONC
03-04-2016, 10:12 AM
could fit, but i really don't see the point. . . too much mileage on those tires. . . we have the resources needed to bring in younger, more durable and reliable options. . . if we're going to spend money for veteran depth, it's better spent on an O-lineman-- or matt forte, if they really want to go RB. . .

For that matter the tires have had major blowout.

weazel
03-04-2016, 10:24 AM
I love the guy but no thank you, guy can't play without getting hurt.

Buff
03-04-2016, 10:43 AM

I don't necessarily agree with this. I view RB as actually a pretty massive gap and need on our roster. With the way the RB position has been devalued in the NFL, it might actually be more cost effective to go after an aging RB when the trend is to do young at the position.

Foster is still an amazing talent IMO, and a Top 5 RB when healthy. I'd take him over Forte, all things being equal, as he's a bit younger and has more familiarity with Kubiak's system.

LTC Pain
03-04-2016, 12:16 PM
I'd prefer the Broncos draft a RB and sign an UDFA RB versus sign Foster. A 30 year old running back on the decline who is oft-injured recovering from an Achilles injury? No way.

NightTerror218
03-04-2016, 01:11 PM
I'd prefer the Broncos draft a RB and sign an UDFA RB versus sign Foster. A 30 year old running back on the decline who is oft-injured recovering from an Achilles injury? No way.

So he is on the decline now?

Before he was injury he was averaging over 4 yards a carry. Is was still producing great when on the field.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-04-2016, 01:25 PM
Rookie running back all the way, it's the one position I think they can really plug and play, especially when pass protection is not as important as it was in say, 2013

I agree Dave, unless we find someone who's willing to play for close to the vet minimum.

LTC Pain
03-04-2016, 02:43 PM
So he is on the decline now?

Before he was injury he was averaging over 4 yards a carry. Is was still producing great when on the field.

Foster's last season where he played 16 games was 2012. In the three seasons since, he's played a total of 25 games out of 48. Given his age, injury history and current injury, I'd say his best days are behind him. I'd rather draft a RB or sign a UDFA. Yes, when he's on the field!

BroncoJoe
03-04-2016, 05:28 PM
How'd a black man get the name Arian?

(yes, I know the actual spelling is Aryan...)

OrangeHoof
03-04-2016, 05:49 PM
I guess you never heard of his fan club, the "Arian Nation"?

weazel
03-04-2016, 06:02 PM

Simeon Rice is asking the same question.

Ravage!!!
03-04-2016, 06:16 PM

My aunt was a nurse in the maternity ward for 20 years... and one of her favorite stories was when the woman said she was going to name her daughter "Clitoris. It was a word I heard one time, and thought it sounded so beautiful." The nurses (after laughing to themselves I'm sure)...had to explain to the woman why she just couldn't name her daughter clitoris.

Dapper Dan
03-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Foster's last season where he played 16 games was 2012. In the three seasons since, he's played a total of 25 games out of 48. Given his age, injury history and current injury, I'd say his best days are behind him. I'd rather draft a RB or sign a UDFA. Yes, when he's on the field!

Hmm. When's the last time we had a RB start 16 games?

Cugel
03-06-2016, 01:02 PM
So, we've got Joel and Lancane in favor - if the price is right, and everybody else pretty much against. . . .

Me, I'm thinking that the Broncos don't need to invest even $1 M in a RB except C.J. They can't have 2 RBs on the roster in the $2M range. And they won't. If they get Foster that means they let C.J. go.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-06-2016, 03:14 PM
So, we've got Joel and Lancane in favor - if the price is right, and everybody else pretty much against. . . .

Me, I'm thinking that the Broncos don't need to invest even $1 M in a RB except C.J. They can't have 2 RBs on the roster in the $2M range. And they won't. If they get Foster that means they let C.J. go.

That sounds about right. I think our brother across the pond nailed it. We should take one in the draft between rounds 3 and 5.

NightTerror218
03-06-2016, 05:56 PM
CJ has never played a full season well. Injury issues too. Hot and cold at times. need a good #2

Joel
03-06-2016, 07:09 PM
Hmm. When's the last time we had a RB start 16 games?
When'd we last have halfway decent run blocking so they didn't have to break 2-3 tackles just to reach the line? Maybe ask Kubiak; pretty sure he was THERE. :rolleyes:

CJ has never played a full season well. Injury issues too. Hot and cold at times. need a good #2
Injuries are WHY he's never played a full season well: When healthy, he's money in the bank every week, but "when healthy's" a big qualifier for RBs generally and the ones running behind our line in particular. I expect it to be much better next year, but $5-6M for a PAIR of proven but injury prone RBs is better than $2-3M for just ONE. I still like Juwan and Bibbs, but liking them doesn't prove they can share CJs load when he's hurt/tired: Foster can, and knows the system.

Ravage!!!
03-06-2016, 07:15 PM
We need to UPGRADE the RB position. Foster is a decent when healthy, and might make a "jackson" type comeback in the NFL. Meaning, he changes team and is the horse for a couple years but isn't extradorinary as before, but servicable.

Right now, our RBs aren't special in the least, and can be replaced pretty easily with anyone. Which is wht you do, as you never know when that "anyone" can turn into SOMEONE. The RBs on the roster are just....... meh.

Joel
03-06-2016, 07:36 PM
We need to UPGRADE the RB position. Foster is a decent when healthy, and might make a "jackson" type comeback in the NFL. Meaning, he changes team and is the horse for a couple years but isn't extradorinary as before, but servicable.

Right now, our RBs aren't special in the least, and can be replaced pretty easily with anyone. Which is wht you do, as you never know when that "anyone" can turn into SOMEONE. The RBs on the roster are just....... meh.
"Meh" RBs would go down in a heap every time hit 1 or 2 yds behind the line (i.e. MOST of the time,) not struggle forward for a 1 or 2 yd GAIN. Either:

1) Manning's the only decent passer OR runner the SB Champs have had since trading Portis over a decade ago or
2) Our offensive line's been going steadily downhill since '05, and hit the nitro when McDumbass arrived.

I mean, "both" is a valid possibility, but I'd bet heavily on 2) if forced to wager.

Ziggy
03-06-2016, 09:10 PM

Count me in as well. When healthy, he's still a top 5 back. For the right price, he and CJ would make a great 1-2 punch.

TXBRONC
03-07-2016, 03:09 PM
Simeon Rice is asking the same question.

Why would he be asking that question? He knows he's Jewish.

Lancane
03-07-2016, 03:13 PM
Broncos expected to make a run at Arian Foster to upgrade their backfield. Whether or not CJ Anderson returns will depend on the market, but Broncos want to seriously upgrade the offensive production, especially the run game.

TXBRONC
03-07-2016, 03:19 PM
Broncos expected to make a run at Arian Foster to upgrade their backfield. Whether or not CJ Anderson returns will depend on the market, but Broncos want to seriously upgrade the offensive production, especially the run game.

I don't how much of upgrade he would be if can't stay healthy. I don't think he could be the lead back anymore.

Timmy!
03-07-2016, 03:26 PM
If it was cheap (vet min with incentives) I'd roll the dice.

Lancane
03-07-2016, 03:26 PM
I don't how much of upgrade he would be if can't stay healthy. I don't think he could be the lead back anymore.

I bet you that they draft a halfback fairly early as well to split time with him.

slim
03-07-2016, 03:27 PM
If it was cheap (vet min with incentives) I'd roll the dice.

Would be interesting.

TXBRONC
03-07-2016, 03:42 PM
I bet you that they draft a halfback fairly early as well to split time with him.

If Anderson is moves on it wouldn't surprise me if Denver drafted a running back.

Lancane
03-07-2016, 04:36 PM
If Anderson is moves on it wouldn't surprise me if Denver drafted a running back.

Anderson is expected to be pursued by several teams, I don't think he'll be returning unless he wants to be here for less.

NightTerror218
03-07-2016, 04:53 PM
When'd we last have halfway decent run blocking so they didn't have to break 2-3 tackles just to reach the line? Maybe ask Kubiak; pretty sure he was THERE. :rolleyes:

Injuries are WHY he's never played a full season well: When healthy, he's money in the bank every week, but "when healthy's" a big qualifier for RBs generally and the ones running behind our line in particular. I expect it to be much better next year, but $5-6M for a PAIR of proven but injury prone RBs is better than $2-3M for just ONE. I still like Juwan and Bibbs, but liking them doesn't prove they can share CJs load when he's hurt/tired: Foster can, and knows the system.

That is BS. CJ is a very hot and colder runner. He was the lone #1 RB to start season and lost that and became Co starter. Hillman beat him in just about all categories last season. CJ just had big runs when they were needed.

If CJ could stay on field and not get gassed, stay healthy then hey he should be starter. Elway and Kubiak have said CJ plays better with chip on shoulder.