PDA

View Full Version : Anyone getting anxious yet (March 2nd)?

artie_dale
03-02-2016, 09:51 AM
Lots of possibilities right now.

a) Von is tagged

b) Danny T. & B. Marsh are testing the market

c) Rumors that Brock may test the market

d) Strong rumors that Malik will test the market because he wants $14-$15M per yr

e) not Lastly, Peyton may want to play more (which is fine by me. his current finale was the worse kind because of a terrible season and the D literally carried him across the finish line and all he was supposed to do is "manage")

Added:
f) Ware & Clady restructures

g) CJ comes back?

Anyone want to take a stab at what will happen to b) thru e)?

b) I expect B. Marsh to land in Oak or Chi. Atl has already advertised interest in Danny T. Would love it if one of them decide to come back after they see their value in the market, but won't be heart broken because we have a Shaq B.

c) If Brock hits the market, I think Elway goes after RGIII right away (because I expect him to be much cheaper than Brock and he fits Kubes' system). I'd rather have RGIII than Collin Kap.

d) Malik will get his big payday. Maybe Jacksonville, but I doubt we pay him what he wants.

e) Denver cuts him right after he passes his physical and the Rams entertain him. Peyton isn't looking for another SB. He's just looking to redeem himself. Everyone wrote him off already, mostly due to his play this past season. I think he is given a chance at a much lower price and whoever gives him a shot (I can see Rams), they will let him play HIS game and he will be productive.

VonDoom
03-02-2016, 09:54 AM
I've said this before about Marshall - he's not going anywhere. He's an RFA, meaning we have as much control over him as we want. He will be tendered, and come back on a team friendly contract for 2016. Trevathan, on the other hand, if likely gone.

Dapper Dan
03-02-2016, 09:59 AM
I just want the off season to be over already.

artie_dale
03-02-2016, 10:00 AM
I've said this before about Marshall - he's not going anywhere. He's an RFA, meaning we have as much control over him as we want. He will be tendered, and come back on a team friendly contract for 2016. Trevathan, on the other hand, if likely gone.

Can't teams make offers for him though? And it'd be up to us to match? Oak & Chi have lots of money to spend. I can see Fox or Del Rio offering a nice paycheck that could make it difficult for us to match. They just have more room to spend money.

Davii
03-02-2016, 10:04 AM
Can't teams make offers for him though? And it'd be up to us to match? Oak & Chi have lots of money to spend. I can see Fox or Del Rio offering a nice paycheck that could make it difficult for us to match. They just have more room to spend money.

Depends on the tender the Broncos use on him. If we place a high tender on him we would get that draft pick in return, might not make signing him to a high offer sheet very enticing having to pay him both the high price and give up a draft pick of whatever round tender is placed on him.

tripp
03-02-2016, 10:05 AM
I'm almost certain Trevathan and Malik are gone. B-Marsh on the other hand - didn't think he drew much interest from teams, plus he's an RFA. I think Oz will be digging himself a hole if he goes to a different team such as Houston.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather Colin Kap over RG3. RG3 cannot stay healthy, mean while Colin Kap has shown flashes of brilliance, just needs to play within his limit instead of trying to do it all himself. He needs to be coached better.

I've read from pretty much every Denver columnist that it's almost certain, if, Peyton decides to come back, it won't be with the Broncos. So I hold a lot of faith in that. Last season was painful enough, it just needs to end now.

artie_dale
03-02-2016, 10:14 AM
Call me crazy, but I'd rather Colin Kap over RG3. RG3 cannot stay healthy, mean while Colin Kap has shown flashes of brilliance, just needs to play within his limit instead of trying to do it all himself. He needs to be coached better.

I think the same thing about RGIII (needs to be coached). RGIII was healthy this past season, he just didn't get the starting job. He got a whole season of pine and humble pie, which is definitely what he needed. Both he and Kap are HEAD CASES, imo. But, I think with RGIII riding the pine and staying out of the spotlight for a season, I have hope that he has become more humble and that his desire to get back to the top makes him more disciplined. Kap on the other hand, he'll be coming off fresh drama and an apparently season ending injury. Also, RGIII should be cheaper because he's a free agent looking for a shot while Kap already has a big contract that whoever he is traded to will have to pickup.

Joel
03-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Yeah, me and Cugel have debated this a few times: If we use a 2nd round tender a playoff team that needs a coverage LB (and Arizona went to the NFCCG with a 220 lb. converted safety starting at ILB) may well make an offer; giving up the 2nd rounds 3rd LOWEST pick for a solid 27-year-old ILB would be worth it, IMHO. They probably wouldn't give up a 1st, but a 1st round tender would cost us another $1M or so, when a 2nd round tender's already about $2½M.

So we may have to match unless we tender for >$3M: Yet another reason I don't want to give our second best player at a complementary spot $10-15M.

Incidentally, CJ's in the same boat, so the same theoretically applies: Would GB give up #57 pick to replace Lacy with CJ, or Houston give up #52 to replace Foster?

artie_dale
03-02-2016, 10:18 AM
Yeah, me and Cugel have debated this a few times: If we use a 2nd round tender a playoff team that needs a coverage LB (and Arizona went to the NFCCG with a 220 lb. converted safety starting at ILB) may well make an offer; giving up the 2nd rounds 3rd LOWEST pick for a solid 27-year-old ILB would be worth it, IMHO. They probably wouldn't give up a 1st, but a 1st round tender would cost us another $1M or so, when a 2nd round tender's already about $2½M.

So we may have to match unless we tender for >$3M: Yet another reason I don't want to give our second best player at a complementary spot $10-15M.

Thanks! I'm not very knowledgeable on the deep financial side of the NFL.

GEM
03-02-2016, 10:19 AM
I've been anxious the last week and a half...ask dogfish. :laugh: I usually love Free Agency period, this year, I despise it. :mad:

underrated29
03-02-2016, 10:20 AM
Marshall is first rd tender
CJ is 2nd rd tender
Both are back

BrOck is back.

Bruton, bolden, trev, Malik are gone.
Peyton retires

Joel
03-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Thanks! I'm not very knowledgeable on the deep financial side of the NFL.
Same here; I only know what I see online from other people here or by googling on the fly ("know." ;))

Joel
03-02-2016, 10:23 AM
Marshall is first rd tender
CJ is 2nd rd tender
Both are back

BrOck is back.

Bruton, bolden, trev, Malik are gone.
Peyton retires
That sounds good (well, not "good," because I hate losing Bruton, Bolden and Trevathan, but the cap forces hard choices on everyone, more on playoff teams and ESPECIALLY SB teams.) What about restructures on Clady, Ware and/or Vasquez?

artie_dale
03-02-2016, 10:26 AM
That sounds good (well, not "good," because I hate losing Bruton, Bolden and Trevathan, but the cap forces hard choices on everyone, more on playoff teams and ESPECIALLY SB teams.) What about restructures on Clady, Ware and/or Vasquez?

Yup... I left CJ, Clady, & Ware out... not intentionally.

Davii
03-02-2016, 10:39 AM
Even if we tender, can some other team still write a "poison pill" contract offer thing?

For instance, could the Raiders write an offer that we would typically match and then have a caveat saying that he will be the highest paid LB on the team?

Can they still do things like that?

Joel
03-02-2016, 10:41 AM
Yup... I left CJ, Clady, & Ware out... not intentionally.
With so many balls in the air, it's hard to keep track of all of them. That's one of the reasons it makes sense to approach at as UR did: Decide who's most expensive/dable, release them, then re-sign as many others as possible. It works in Madden. :tongue:

BroncoNut
03-02-2016, 10:47 AM
I don't understand point e at all. do you think Peyton is capable of improving on the finale as it currently is?

my opinion is that he's done

artie_dale
03-02-2016, 10:47 AM
With so many balls in the air, it's hard to keep track of all of them. That's one of the reasons it makes sense to approach at as UR did: Decide who's most expensive/dable, release them, then re-sign as many others as possible. It works in Madden. :tongue:

LOL. When I play Madden with the salary cap, I breed WRs and sell them for high draft picks to keep my chances high in drafting good talent. This last Madden makes it difficult because it takes super long for players to get better (more realistic).

Joel
03-02-2016, 10:49 AM
Even if we tender, can some other team still write a "poison pill" contract offer thing?

For instance, could the Raiders write an offer that we would typically match and then have a caveat saying that he will be the highest paid LB on the team?

No: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transition_tag#.22Poison_Pills.22
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/14/poison-pill-for-offer-sheets-removed-from-cba/

artie_dale
03-02-2016, 10:52 AM
I don't understand point e at all. do you think Peyton is capable of improving on the finale as it currently is?

my opinion is that he's done

For me there are two possibilities. One is the obvious. Due to his pisspoor play this season, he should be done. The other could be that he, throughout the season, thought he never fit Kubes' system but was a good team player and did what he could. He may think that he can still be effective in a system that is built around his play.

I wouldn't be mad or second guess him if he passes his physical, gets cut, signs with the Rams and has a better season. Gurley would thrive with better QB play. Their defense is legit too, so if Peyton can play better there, they could be instant playoff contenders.

Joel
03-02-2016, 10:53 AM
LOL. When I play Madden with the salary cap, I breed WRs and sell them for high draft picks to keep my chances high in drafting good talent. This last Madden makes it difficult because it takes super long for players to get better (more realistic).
I refuse to buy a computer that ONLY plays games, so my last copy of Madden was the next-to-last before EA stopped doing PC versions: It lets me trade my 1st for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, my 2nd and 7th for a 2nd, 3rd and 4th, and my 3rd, 5th and 6th for a 3rd, 4th and 5th. Then I can just throw enough games by the poor dumb SOBs I trade with to ensure they finish at the bottom. I never worry about draft picks, only the trade deadline. :tongue:

tripp
03-02-2016, 11:01 AM
For me there are two possibilities. One is the obvious. Due to his pisspoor play this season, he should be done. The other could be that he, throughout the season, thought he never fit Kubes' system but was a good team player and did what he could. He may think that he can still be effective in a system that is built around his play.

I wouldn't be mad or second guess him if he passes his physical, gets cut, signs with the Rams and has a better season. Gurley would thrive with better QB play. Their defense is legit too, so if Peyton can play better there, they could be instant playoff contenders.

NFC West is a tough division. He'd have to play Cardinals and Seahawks twice, and play his brother @ home in LA this year. My impression was, he was an AFC guy because he didn't want to get in the way of his brother making it to the SB. I'm not even sure Rams make a wild card spot with Peyton.

Ravage!!!
03-02-2016, 11:08 AM
I refuse to buy a computer that ONLY plays games, so my last copy of Madden was the next-to-last before EA stopped doing PC versions: It lets me trade my 1st for a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, my 2nd and 7th for a 2nd, 3rd and 4th, and my 3rd, 5th and 6th for a 3rd, 4th and 5th. Then I can just throw enough games by the poor dumb SOBs I trade with to ensure they finish at the bottom. I never worry about draft picks, only the trade deadline. :tongue:

What computer ONLY plays games? Any computer that can play games can do anything and everything else that the other computers can.

underrated29
03-02-2016, 11:43 AM

Good point, yes, those too.

Joel got you covered but no, poison pills are not allowed anymore.

DenBronx
03-02-2016, 12:32 PM

Beat me to it. Marshall isn't going anywhere. He's a damn good LB.

OrangeHoof
03-02-2016, 12:52 PM

a) Von is tagged

d) Strong rumors that Malik will test the market because he wants $14-$15M per yr

e) not Lastly, Peyton may want to play more (which is fine by me. his current finale was the worse kind because of a terrible season and the D literally carried him across the finish line and all he was supposed to do is "manage")

Added:

g) CJ comes back?

Anyone want to take a stab at what will happen to b) thru e)?

b) I expect B. Marsh to land in Oak or Chi. Atl has already advertised interest in Danny T. Would love it if one of them decide to come back after they see their value in the market, but won't be heart broken because we have a Shaq B.

c) If Brock hits the market, I think Elway goes after RGIII right away (because I expect him to be much cheaper than Brock and he fits Kubes' system). I'd rather have RGIII than Collin Kap.

d) Malik will get his big payday. Maybe Jacksonville, but I doubt we pay him what he wants.

e) Denver cuts him right after he passes his physical and the Rams entertain him. Peyton isn't looking for another SB. He's just looking to redeem himself. Everyone wrote him off already, mostly due to his play this past season. I think he is given a chance at a much lower price and whoever gives him a shot (I can see Rams), they will let him play HIS game and he will be productive.

I wouldn't say "anxious" but I truly wish Manning would stop the drama and retire. If you thought the "worst possible way" for Peyton to retire was to limp across the line with a Lombardi Trophy, that won't compare with getting cut by Elway if he dawdles too long. Elway should make it clear that it's over in Denver and he'll save the team cap room to continue if he retires. If he wants to unretire and test the market later, that's fine but he's not playing in Denver.

I think Ozzie and Marshall will be back and we can replace Malik and Trev if needed with cheaper guys.

LTC Pain
03-02-2016, 01:04 PM
I wouldn't say "anxious" but I truly wish Manning would stop the drama and retire. If you thought the "worst possible way" for Peyton to retire was to limp across the line with a Lombardi Trophy, that won't compare with getting cut by Elway if he dawdles too long. Elway should make it clear that it's over in Denver and he'll save the team cap room to continue if he retires. If he wants to unretire and test the market later, that's fine but he's not playing in Denver.

I think Ozzie and Marshall will be back and we can replace Malik and Trev if needed with cheaper guys.

Agree 100% And isn't this draft supposedly deep at DE/DT? So a replacement for Malik should be available in rounds 1-3.

Joel
03-02-2016, 01:41 PM
What computer ONLY plays games? Any computer that can play games can do anything and everything else that the other computers can.
If you say so; the original NES was the last console I bought. So they run spreadsheets and word processors now? How do people type TPS reports with a six button controller? :confused: Bet designing webpages with the X and triangle buttons is tricky, too. Makes me wonder if all the initial healthcare.gov problems were just a bunch of people trying to sign up on their Play Station. Anyway, I'll stick with computers that aren't dedicated game platforms, or break out my old 2600 or Colecovision.

MOtorboat
03-04-2016, 04:14 AM
No.

We won a damn Super Bowl a month ago.

In Elway I Trust, and frankly I don't give a damn, who's back.

Cugel
03-04-2016, 11:23 AM

Incidentally, CJ's in the same boat, so the same theoretically applies: Would GB give up #57 pick to replace Lacy with CJ, or Houston give up #52 to replace Foster?

What makes you think that the Cardinals (#28 pick) would give Denver a 2nd round pick to grab an ILB like Marshall when they need a DE pass-rusher to complement Calais Campbell?

Teams normally don't bother making offers to 1st or 2nd round tender RFAs. You just don't see it happen much. The NFL owners are all about collusion, and this is an area where they can all collude to prevent RFAs from becoming UFAs, and the NFLPA can't do anything about it. Why invite retaliation from other owners?

But, if the Broncos were worried about it they could always make a 1st round tender. I don't think they want to let Marshall go on top of probably already losing Osweiler and Malik.

artie_dale
03-04-2016, 11:32 AM
No.

I'm kinda there too, MO. I'm just more curious who our QB will be. I'm confident this team will compete next season (maybe not in 1st place by end of reg season). I don't expect everything to look the same. I'm more wondering how good Kubes' really is and if we can get this offense on track.

Cugel
03-04-2016, 11:44 AM

a) Von is tagged

As noted, Trevathan has had trouble staying healthy and they can't pay everybody. He's gone. Marshall is going nowhere since he's a RFA and the team picking him up would have to give Denver a 1st or 2nd round pick as well as give him a contract the Broncos couldn't match.

According to Troy Renk, the Broncos Insider, the two sides are "far apart" on a new contract and Osweiler will hit FA. I just shake my head at how Elway screwed this up. He could have signed Osweiler a year ago for about $6 M a year, (this has now been confirmed by many sources), and now because of the Sam Bradford and Kirk Cousins signings to $17M + contracts, the market for Osweiler is now MORE than $16M a year.

This was so predictable! Every single year, teams desperate for QBs wildly overpay for them. You just don't let your future franchise QB hit FA. Ever.

So, Elway screwed up royally and now he's toast. Either he doesn't think Osweiler is his franchise QB, in which case he shouldn't make him any offer at all, or he does, in which case he should do everything he needs to to re-sign him. That means they should have re-signed him last year when it would have been cheap because he had no starting experience and would have been offered around $12 M guaranteed contract.

Instead he tried to outsmart Osweiler and gambled no team would make him an offer more than $12 M. And he lost. Which was entirely predictable.

If he doesn't think Osweiler is an average NFL QB then fine.

But, he'd better be right about that!

Malik is almost certainly gone. Elway admitted as much months ago when he said it "would be tough" to re-sign both Wolfe and Malik. They made their choice and chose to retain Wolfe. At this point, I'd say let Malik go and play for Jacksonville at $15 M a year, and use the money to re-sign Osweiler. A QB is more important than a DE, especially when you can probably find another guy in the draft or just promote someone from your backups.

I still say Manning could be very successful in the right offense; one with a great pass blocking OL, and a few weapons to throw to. Whether he can find a team willing to take him on a 1 year rental is another story.

I think he's going to be sitting there come August waiting for some team with QB troubles to call.

Added:

Clady won't get more than $5 M a year from the Broncos, so they're cutting him loose and he'll be an UFA. Whether he re-signs with Denver will depend on what other offers there are. Some have suggested he could get somewhere around $7-8 M a year. I can't believe that. He's been injured and ineffective the last 3 years and he's just turned 30 and coming off serious knee surgery. He's a huge risk not to finish the season at any price and an equal risk to be extremely mediocre even if he's healthy (as he was in 2014).

Maybe some cap-rich team will roll the dice, but I wouldn't.

g) CJ comes back?

RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL and no team wants to pay them $2-3 M any more. Give up a 2nd round pick for a RB when you can probably find a serviceable one in FA or the later rounds of the draft? Not going to happen. If the Broncos tender him a 2nd round RFA contract he's going nowhere.

As for Ware, if the Broncos try and cut his salary he might just retire. He has a bulging disk in his back and was limited to less than 1/2 a season this past year. He was effective in the SB when they needed him, but the tank is getting rather empty and $11 M a season is a bit much. However, he's a leader on the defense and it would be a huge loss if he goes.

People who want to write off Osweiler and say "we'll just get RGIII or Kaepernick and be fine" should remember that RGIII is a coach-killer with bad study habits, and Kaepernick is under contract to the 49ers.

The Broncos would have to TRADE for him, and the 49ers would want a 1st or 2nd round pick. That's outrageous, but they would know that the Broncos were desperate and would try and squeeze them. "You want a starting QB? Fine, but you'll pay! Oh, how you'll pay!"

Buff
03-04-2016, 12:00 PM
No offense Cugel, but you railed for months about what a huge mistake Elway made in passing over Joe Thomas, and now we're world champs. So your authority to speak on these matters is lacking.

Elway has been very transparent about how he views Brock. He doesn't view him in the upper echelon, and isn't willing to pay him franchise QB money yet based on 7 average-to-slightly-above-average starts.

From my perspective, he's playing it exactly as he should, and not over-reacting to market conditions. Patience is a virtue.

artie_dale
03-04-2016, 12:11 PM
According to Troy Renk, the Broncos Insider, the two sides are "far apart" on a new contract and Osweiler will hit FA. I just shake my head at how Elway screwed this up. He could have signed Osweiler a year ago for about $6 M a year, (this has now been confirmed by many sources), and now because of the Sam Bradford and Kirk Cousins signings to $17M + contracts, the market for Osweiler is now MORE than $16M a year.

This was so predictable! Every single year, teams desperate for QBs wildly overpay for them. You just don't let your future franchise QB hit FA. Ever.

So, Elway screwed up royally and now he's toast. Either he doesn't think Osweiler is his franchise QB, in which case he shouldn't make him any offer at all, or he does, in which case he should do everything he needs to to re-sign him. That means they should have re-signed him last year when it would have been cheap because he had no starting experience and would have been offered around $12 M guaranteed contract.

Instead he tried to outsmart Osweiler and gambled no team would make him an offer more than $12 M. And he lost. Which was entirely predictable.

If he doesn't think Osweiler is an average NFL QB then fine.

But, he'd better be right about that!

RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL and no team wants to pay them $2-3 M any more. Give up a 2nd round pick for a RB when you can probably find a serviceable one in FA or the later rounds of the draft? Not going to happen. If the Broncos tender him a 2nd round RFA contract he's going nowhere.

People who want to write off Osweiler and say "we'll just get RGIII or Kaepernick and be fine" should remember that RGIII is a coach-killer with bad study habits, and Kaepernick is under contract to the 49ers.

The Broncos would have to TRADE for him, and the 49ers would want a 1st or 2nd round pick. That's outrageous, but they would know that the Broncos were desperate and would try and squeeze them. "You want a starting QB? Fine, but you'll pay! Oh, how you'll pay!"

Thanks Coogs. A lot has happened since I started this thread.

On Elway screwing up... I don't think this is the case. I'm not loyal to Osweiller the same way I am loyal to Elway. I give Elway the benefit of the doubt that he may very well think Osweiller ISN'T the type of QB worth investing that kind of commitment into. Osweiller wasn't spectacular. Only Andrew Lucks are worth taking that step toward. If we do not retain Brock, I'm okay with it. I'm more hopeful that our team and coaching staff can develop a player to be good. Brock didn't standout, so I'm okay with the team moving in a different direction. So, imo, Elway's approach is more strategic and not a gamble.

On CJ... I don't think of CJ this off season the same way I thought of him last off season. He messed up by coming into camp this last season out of shape. It impacted the team in the beginning of the season and it took him a long time to get going. And his "get going" only consisted of spurts here and there. Zero consistency. I do admit that a valid argument can be made about the offensive line that defends both Brock's & CJ's (can even be made for Manning) production this season. The law of averages always catches up to players... especially RBs. Surely seemed to catch up to DT.

On RGIII (not Kap... screw Kap)... I understand why some may think RGIII is a coach killer. I personally believe there is much more to it. The relationship between RGIII and Mike Shannahan was doomed from the get-go. Their owner is who created the situation in Wash, not Shanny, not RGIII. RGIII was just the young early draft pick that was handed the keys to the owner's limo. Snyder smooched RGIII to the point where RGIII thought he was untouchable (he was best friends with the owner for geez sakes). That handcuffed Mike Shannahan and left him helpless to mold and discipline RGIII the way coaches are supposed to. I blame Snyder the most. Not a handcuffed coach and not a young ignorant football player. SO, with that said, RGIII had nothing to eat but a whole season of humble pie. I have hope that he may have grown up a little.

LTC Pain
03-04-2016, 12:12 PM
No offense Cugel, but you railed for months about what a huge mistake Elway made in passing over Joe Thomas, and now we're world champs. So your authority to speak on these matters is lacking.

Elway has been very transparent about how he views Brock. He doesn't view him in the upper echelon, and isn't willing to pay him franchise QB money yet based on 7 average-to-slightly-above-average starts.

From my perspective, he's playing it exactly as he should, and not over-reacting to market conditions. Patience is a virtue.

Best response to another post so far this year. Good on yah Buff, agree 100%

BroncoJoe
03-04-2016, 05:54 PM
No.

I love you, MOn.

BroncoJoe
03-04-2016, 05:55 PM
Best response to another post so far this year. Good on yah Buff, agree 100%

Buff absolutely killed it with that response.

VonDoom
03-06-2016, 11:08 PM
Trey Wingo is reporting that we gave Marshall a second round tender. I'm on record as saying that's a mistake - they should have gone first rounder. Teams will be sniffing around at that price

Joel
03-07-2016, 02:26 AM
Trey Wingo is reporting that we gave Marshall a second round tender. I'm on record as saying that's a mistake - they should have gone first rounder. Teams will be sniffing around at that price
I'll let YOU have that argument with Cugel this time. :tongue:

Ravage!!!
03-07-2016, 11:21 AM

Will they? Can't the Broncos match any offer, anyway? Yet, putting a 1st round tender GUARANTEES just more salary for Marshall. So we are willing to guarantee the 2nd round tender money, but not guarantee that salary unless another team is wiling to fork over a 2nd round pick in this year's draft.

Doesn't seem like a mistake at all.