PDA

View Full Version : Clock ticking on Peyton Manning decision as Broncos work on Brock Osweiler

Denver Native (Carol)
02-29-2016, 02:06 PM
INDIANAPOLIS -- Until the words come out of Peyton Manning's mouth -- and only his mouth -- what happens with the Denver Broncos' quarterback remains a bit of a question mark even as the deadline for all involved approaches.

While many around Manning believe he is poised to announce his retirement, the Broncos have been quick to say Manning deserves all the time he needs to make a decision. What is known is the clock is ticking on a decision for all involved as the new league year begins -- 4 p.m. ET on March 9 -- when Manning's $19 million base salary is guaranteed.

The Broncos are trying to conduct their free-agency business -- specifically long-term deals with quarterback Brock Osweiler and linebacker Von Miller -- and will need to know Manning's decision before then.

There is also the matter of the timetable to have a conversation. Manning met with Broncos executive vice president of football operations/general manager John Elway last Tuesday, before Elway left for the NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis. Elway and coach Gary Kubiak were still at the combine Monday and weren't scheduled to return to Denver until Monday night.

Kubiak is expected to meet, or at least speak with, Manning on Tuesday. Manning also has two speaking engagements this week -- Wednesday in Jacksonville, Florida, and Friday in Las Vegas. That leaves a limited number of days before free agency opens if Manning were to announce his retirement in a formal setting at the Broncos' complex.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/19128/clock-ticking-on-manning-decision-broncos-continue-to-work-to-sign-brock-osweiler

TXBRONC
02-29-2016, 03:21 PM
rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/19128/clock-ticking-on-manning-decision-broncos-continue-to-work-to-sign-brock-osweiler

Manning deserves some leeway but even that runs out.

Joel
02-29-2016, 03:39 PM
I can't believe he'd force us to cut him, and his own father said weeks ago that he's played his last down in Denver: Let's get this over with so we can part on good terms and the franchise can move forward. Mannings playing days are done, but the rest of the Broncos' are not.

turftoad
02-29-2016, 08:46 PM
I can't believe he'd force us to cut him, and his own father said weeks ago that he's played his last down in Denver: Let's get this over with so we can part on good terms and the franchise can move forward. Mannings playing days are done, but the rest of the Broncos' are not.

The main reason I high 5'd you Joel is because that post was short and to the point. Hell, I even read it.
Plus, I agree with you. He needs to retire and get it done. If he doesn't anounce it, we cut him with the fact of not knowing rather he is or isn't going to retire.

tripp
02-29-2016, 09:07 PM
Just curious, does it really matter if Manning announces his retirement when it comes to signing Brock to a new deal? I could be wrong, but I get the vibe that the Broncos are done with Manning as the QB of the Broncos, they're just letting him do it on his own terms. So why does it matter when it comes to signing Brock to a new contract?

Denver Native (Carol)
02-29-2016, 09:11 PM
The waiting game continues between Peyton Manning and the Denver Broncos.

NFL Media's James Palmer reported Monday on NFL Network's Total Access that no decision is expected this week from Manning about his playing future. Palmer also reported, from a source close to the situation, that the decision will go right up to March 9th, the start of the new league year and when Manning is guaranteed his $19 million salary for 2016.

Palmer's update comes on the heels of Denver Post columnist Woody Paige reporting that Manning would "acknowledge his decision" to retire by the end of this week.

Manning met repeatedly at the NFL Scouting Combine with Broncos general manager John Elway, who also launched talks last week with free-agent-to-be Brock Osweiler, the likely heir apparent at quarterback if Manning steps away after 17 NFL seasons.

Manning is scheduled to speak with both Elway and Broncos coach Gary Kubiak sometime this week, Palmer reported.

The expectation is that Manning will make his final decision next week. NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported that Peyton already told close friends in early February that he expected to retire during the offseason.

It's likely just a matter of the Broncos and their star quarterback hammering out the timing for a proper announcement to honor Manning.

With free agency set to kick off next Tuesday, his fate will become clear sooner than later.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640348/article/peyton-mannings-decision-wont-come-this-week

Joel
02-29-2016, 09:29 PM
The main reason I high 5'd you Joel is because that post was short and to the point. Hell, I even read it.
Plus, I agree with you. He needs to retire and get it done. If he doesn't anounce it, we cut him with the fact of not knowing rather he is or isn't going to retire.
If he announces he's NOT retiring I'm 99.44% sure we cut him anyway: We need a long term QB, not a declining stopgap "just one more year" just one more time. We must commit on Oz the same as Manning must commit on playing. The holding pattern was fine as long as 1) Oz was under contract and 2) we were trying to win a title before Manning ran out of gas. But we're long past where Manning can KEEP winning titles, and Oz is weeks—maybe DAYS—from a new deal with SOMEONE.

We must move on, either with Oz or someone else, but NOT Manning regardless. I don't want him shamed by being cut after winning a SB, but doubt Elway would hesitate if it came to that. I also doubt it WILL, but am less certain each day Manning delays his announcement.

Joel
02-29-2016, 09:38 PM
Just curious, does it really matter if Manning announces his retirement when it comes to signing Brock to a new deal? I could be wrong, but I get the vibe that the Broncos are done with Manning as the QB of the Broncos, they're just letting him do it on his own terms. So why does it matter when it comes to signing Brock to a new contract?
I think it's about appearances: If WE announce a big new deal for Oz we're declaring him our starting QB, and if MANNING hasn't made his announcement by then that forces his hand. Then it's no longer "will Peyton retire a champ or try for more?" but "will Peyton retire a champ or make Denver cut him?"

The reality is the latter's probably the REAL question regardless, but it's better for him and us to part celebrating his tenure and our shared championship with handshakes and misty-eyed smiles, rather than dragging the GoAT out "kicking and screaming" on the heels of the championship we signed him to bring us.

Simple Jaded
02-29-2016, 11:21 PM
I think the Broncos are showing the same patience with this decision as they did with his decision to come to Denver in the first place, it's classy.

Manning saved me from untold levels of brain damage, I am forever grateful.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2016, 12:01 PM
Most difficult part of Manning's decision: He still loves the game

http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/most-difficult-part-of-mannings-decision-he-still-loves-the-game/63084231

tomjonesrocks
03-01-2016, 12:08 PM
Most difficult part of Manning's decision: He still loves the game http://www.9news.com/sports/nfl/denver-broncos/mike-klis/most-difficult-part-of-mannings-decision-he-still-loves-the-game/63084231

Meanwhile Cowherd reporting he will retire. Wonder if anyone really knows anything.

PFT and NFL.com saying decision won't come this week.

pulse
03-01-2016, 12:15 PM
If Brock decides to play the FA market, he may get a better offer than Denver would be willing to pay. I'm not entirely certain that Denver would franchise tag him as others have declared. As for Manning, if he decides not to retire, don't be so quick to know Elway's decision. Manning could likely already have discussed the cost of his final contract year with Elway. Just as likely they have discussed restructuring possibilities or even letting him go with the possibility of bringing him back afterwards, depending on what happens with Brock the next few months. Manning is a very business-minded individual. He knows the numbers. If he retires, this is all moot in point; however, if Manning does not retire, nothing is so certain as so many in the press and media keep reiterating. Adam Shefter discussed this and laid out some possible scenarios on Mike & Mike this morning.
http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=14875715

Ravage!!!
03-01-2016, 12:18 PM

Because Brock is a FA, we have to wait until the FA signing period begins, but other than that, it doesn't matter for us to work on it because Manning wont' be here. As far as the others complaining that Manning hasn't retired yet, again, it doesn't matter if he waits until the 7th of March to do it... because it doesn't matter. So there is no hurry.

Traveler
03-01-2016, 12:30 PM
Although it is Manning's decision about his football future, I'd lose a great deal of respect for him if he decides he wants to continue playing. His body is betraying him and he'll become another in a long of athletes who stayed too long. The question then becomes why is he returning? Only answer I can come up with is he wants to pad his statistics.

Pat Kirwin mentioned yesterday if the team was really moving on from Manning, that could just release him and move forward addressing the team needs. Hopefully Manning doesn't force them to do so, but it may come to that if he indeed does want to continue his playing career.

pulse
03-01-2016, 12:33 PM
Broncos just filed an exclusive franchise tag to keep Von Miller. So that possibility to keep Brock is no more. He will come down to the FA market.

VonDoom
03-01-2016, 12:34 PM
Because Brock is a FA, we have to wait until the FA signing period begins, but other than that, it doesn't matter for us to work on it because Manning wont' be here. As far as the others complaining that Manning hasn't retired yet, again, it doesn't matter if he waits until the 7th of March to do it... because it doesn't matter. So there is no hurry.

I don't think we have to wait until FA begins to negotiate with our own players. The league year starts on 3/9, so until then, Brock and Malik are still Broncos and can be negotiated with.

VonDoom
03-01-2016, 12:36 PM
Pat Kirwin mentioned yesterday if the team was really moving on from Manning, that could just release him and move forward addressing the team needs. Hopefully Manning doesn't force them to do so, but it may come to that if he indeed does want to continue his playing career.

It's looking more likely that we'll have to release him. Schefter also reported this morning that he might want to keep playing, and PFT suggests here that it would be easier (in a clerical sense) for Manning to be a free agent rather than "retire" and try to come back if he decides later:

So why is Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning continuing to delay the announcement of his decision to retire as a member of the Broncos? Possibly because he doesn’t want to retire as a member of the Broncos.

It’s a theory recently raised in connection with Lions receiver Calvin Johnson, who’d be better off retiring as a free agent than as a member of the Lions, since it would then become much easier to unretire and sign with anyone he wants. For Manning, his current delay could be more about securing a release from the Broncos than landing on the team’s reserve/retired list.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/01/peyton-manning-would-like-to-keep-playing-schefter-says/related/

Ravage!!!
03-01-2016, 12:36 PM
I don't think we have to wait until FA begins to negotiate with our own players. The league year starts on 3/9, so until then, Brock and Malik are still Broncos and can be negotiated with.

I'm not sure that's true, because if Brock is UFA...he isn't under contract right now..right?

VonDoom
03-01-2016, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure that's true, because if Brock is UFA...he isn't under contract right now..right?

The league year (2016) doesn't start until March 9. I believe everyone on the 2015 roster is still a Bronco until then, as it's still the 2015 league year. I could be wrong.

Traveler
03-01-2016, 12:47 PM
It's looking more likely that we'll have to release him. Schefter also reported this morning that he might want to keep playing, and PFT suggests here that it would be easier (in a clerical sense) for Manning to be a free agent rather than "retire" and try to come back if he decides later:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/01/peyton-manning-would-like-to-keep-playing-schefter-says/related/

Maybe he wants to retire as a Colt and this is the way for him to do so.

DenBronx
03-01-2016, 12:49 PM
We can negotiate with our own players before the deadline. If they want to talk to other teams after that then they can and will but Denver has this small exclusive window first.

TXBRONC
03-01-2016, 12:54 PM

He needs to just get it done.

tomjonesrocks
03-01-2016, 05:17 PM
Maybe he wants to retire as a Colt and this is the way for him to do so.

That would be stupid.

DenBronx
03-01-2016, 05:23 PM
Manning is ticking me off now. He knows the Broncos want to move on. It's his career not anyone else's but why in the hell wouldn't he retire? Why force us to cut him?

Valar Morghulis
03-01-2016, 05:27 PM
Manning is ticking me off now. He knows the Broncos want to move on. It's his career not anyone else's but why in the hell wouldn't he retire? Why force us to cut him?

Because he will cost less than Brock next year and Elway is thinking about having him return

pulse
03-01-2016, 05:36 PM

He's not Brett Favre. If he is advised he will be physically healthier than the start of last season by his doctors, he will not retire unless he feels like he is done. He clearly still wants to play if his body allows; therefore, he will not retire and then come back. He'll just let the Broncos cut him then take his chances. He could even be an option for Denver later down the road if we can't resign Brock. Elway will weigh all options as th next three months unfold.

As i said in the FA2016 thread:

Manning's ability to throw the ball is vitally dependent on the health of his legs and feet. If he can't plant, he is terrifically limited in medium range throws, much less deep throws. If he is cleared by doctors and they anticipate that his foot will be fully healed, perhaps his physical limitations won't be enough to overcome his ability to run an offense effectively. Though I don't expect him to be playing for Denver, I wouldn't be shocked if Denver asked him to come back for one more season after cutting him *IF* Denver cannot resign Brock. Stranger things have happened. Otherwise, perhaps Manning straps it up for one more year elsewhere.

artie_dale
03-01-2016, 07:25 PM

I thought of this idea today. If he retires a Bronco, it'd be difficult for him to return. There will be loops and hoops he'd have to jump through.

If he is cut, he can retire and unretire at any time.

Here is my thought today... Maybe Peyton thinks he actually has more left in the take. If you consider his abilities leading up to this last season, there is a huge, huge drop off in his abilities and production. The common denominator???? A new system that doesn't cater to his. A Kubiak system. What if Peyton thinks that it was Kubes' system that caused him to have some a terrible season.

What if Peyton thinks that if he can get in an offense that caters to his play-style, he can finish his final season fairly strong. As of right now, his legacy is "Great QB career, but in his final season he was carried by a defense that could have walked any QB to the SB, EVEN with the kind of terrible season he had."

Anyone else think Peyton is completely satisfied finishing his career this way? Super Bowl or not, worst QB all season, worst QB to win a Super Bowl.

I think he wants to finish somewhat strong. Kubes' system just may have crippled him and prevented hm from doing that.

I wouldn't mind if that were the case. Can't be mad at Peyton and I surely do not lose faith in Kubes. So, let him go. Let him finish the way he wants.

Cugel
03-01-2016, 08:21 PM

Because they are not at all sure they CAN sign Brock to a new contract. It all depends on whether Brock wants top $. They are reportedly trying to land him for not more than $10 M a year (according to Alfred Williams who claims he talked to Broncos sources).

I have no idea how good those sources are, he claims they are "solid" but he wouldn't disclose names.

Reportedly Brock wanted an at least an average of $12M a year guaranteed. They are still negotiating, but no word on whether either side will back off their hard line positions.

They seem to believe that Osweiler will give up taking perhaps another $2 or $3 M a year from some other team in order to stay in Denver and possibly get some incentive bonuses, and play for another championship team, rather than going to, say, the Rams and getting maybe $15 M a year.

I have no idea what Brock's market really is. I guess we will find out soon.

But, I can't remember the time when teams didn't go out and pay top FAs more than I thought they were worth. It seems every year the amounts just go up and up.

DenBronx
03-01-2016, 08:30 PM
Chris Harris and Wolfe took less. It's reported that we are in talks with Ware and Clady to take less. Manning deferred last year. So why can't this unproven snot nosed QB take less and stay in on the team that drafted him and play for a competitor?

BroncoWave
03-01-2016, 08:51 PM
Chris Harris and Wolfe took less. It's reported that we are in talks with Ware and Clady to take less. Manning deferred last year. So why can't this unproven snot nosed QB take less and stay in on the team that drafted him and play for a competitor?

What are you basing "snot-nosed" on?

Lancane
03-01-2016, 09:07 PM

VD, that might have made sense had it been another Broncos' player. But Manning's deal is year to year when you break it down and only guaranteed come the start of the league year. Manning could simply ask to be released while he ponders his future more in depth before he decides, Elway would not force the issue and there is little if any fiscal difference whether he retires or is cut, all in all it sounds like grasping at straws.

Northman
03-01-2016, 09:30 PM
http://den.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Texans-are-one-potential-suitor-for-QB-Brock-Osweiler-44007172

At this point, all signs point to Brock Osweiler (http://247sports.com/Player/Brock-Osweiler-28311)returning to the Broncos in 2016 (http://den.247sports.com/Bolt/Broncos-in-contract-negotiations-with-QB-Brock-Osweiler-44002698).

But the quarterback will become a free agent in just nine days, so there's always a chance he ends up elsewhere. Should Osweiler hit the open market, one potential destination outside of Denver would be Houston, Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports (https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/704401044529352705).

The Texans make sense because they are looking for someone to stabilize their quarterback situation. The only quarterbacks the team has under contract for next season are Brian Hoyer (http://247sports.com/Player/Brian-Hoyer-45622), Tom Savage (http://247sports.com/Player/Tom-Savage-23801) and B.J. Daniels (http://247sports.com/Player/B-J-Daniels-15189), a late-season addition

off the Seahawks' practice squad. Of that group, Hoyer is the only one who has ever started an NFL game and he is not the long-term solution. The seven-year veteran started nine games for Houston last year, completing 60.7 percent of his passes for 2,606 yards with 19 touchdowns and seven interceptions.

tripp
03-01-2016, 09:56 PM
http://den.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Texans-are-one-potential-suitor-for-QB-Brock-Osweiler-44007172

If I were a Texans fan, I wouldn't feel any better about my team over paying for Brock Oz, only to create more uncertainty in the QB position. You're paying big money for a wild card QB.

Joel
03-02-2016, 12:14 AM
If Manning just wants us to release him so it's "easier" for him to go elsewhere (though I'm unclear why that would make a difference) he could "easily" SAY so and be quickly obliged. I think he'd be out of his mind to do that, since the chance of immediately winning another title with his disintegrating immobile body would be bad enough even without having to learn a new team and system. But if that's what he truly wants, there's no cause to delay it (just the opposite.)

pulse
03-02-2016, 02:11 AM
Joel, perhaps he just loves playing football. People reiterate that he has nothing else to prove. They aren't him. I seriously doubt it's just to win another championship. Perhaps he wants to prove something to himself. He finished 2014 injured and spent nearly the entirety of the 2015 season injured. Perhaps only he and his doctors know. Perhaps he ends up retiring. Either way, I'm willing to bet that if he is cleared and he doesn't retire, he'll be starting somewhere in September. Probably won't be Denver, but people act like it's insulting he would dare not do what they want him to do. I don't want to see him playing horribly and ending up benched again. But if he wants to prove people wrong that he is done or washed up, so be it. I figure Elway releases him. I just hope he doesn't end up on a Denver rival or division team. If he somehow ends up still in Denver next season, hope he proves successful.

Joel
03-02-2016, 03:43 AM
Perhaps he wants to prove something to himself. He finished 2014 injured and spent nearly the entirety of the 2015 season injured.
He finished up 2013 injured, too, and only left Indy in the first place because of a SPINAL injury that threatened his "ability" to LIVE and required FOUR surgeries. That on top of the same congenital spinal narrowing that ended his big brothers athletic career halfway through HS. Then there's the current feature film about CTE causing SERIOUS and PERMANENT injury to the BRAIN, causing memory loss, lack of self-control, dementia and VIOLENCE AGAINST FAMILY.

Doesn't all that "prove" MORE than enough to a guy who turns 40 in <1 month and STILL hasn't regained feeling in his fingers 4 years after his spinal injury...?

Chasing a championship was the only reason sticking around even kinda made sense when he already owns every record in the book. Sticking around AFTER the LAST championship he can EVER win (because the #1 D CARRIED him there) makes NO sense. Best case scenario, he goes to another team, where he must learn a new offense and ROSTER, and embarrasses himself out of the NFL. The worst case is too horrific to contemplate—yet he's seemingly doing just that and UNSURE. :confused:

During the SB bye, his doctor reportedly told him he'll eventually need a hip replacement: Here's what Mannings future ALREADY looks like in <20 years (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2016/02/04/joe-montana-pain-physical-ailment/79852754/). If he stays another year, I hope he's cut in camp: It'd be humiliating for the GoAT, but at least I (and his family) could stop worrying about him.

Cugel
03-02-2016, 04:16 AM
The possibility becomes more relevant at this point because the signs are increasing that Manning may want to find a way to keep playing (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/01/peyton-manning-would-like-to-keep-playing-schefter-says/). On Monday, agent Tom Condon told SiriusXM NFL Radio that Manning has told Condon, “I really like to play.'” On Tuesday, ESPN’s Adam Schefter said on ESPN Radio’s Mike & Mike in the Morning (via Rotoworld.com) that “in a perfect world” Manning would “like to keep playing.”

It meshes with what PFT reported during the season. After exiting the lineup due to a foot injury that possibly wasn’t going to heal in time for Manning to play again in 2015, he intended to play in 2016. Circumstances have now changed, however.

Before he returned and led (sort of) the Broncos to a Super Bowl win, the bar for overcoming his performance before November 15 was very low, making it easier to find another team where he could reverse the perception that he had become the NFL’s equivalent of Willie Mays. It now becomes harder to Manning to find a “perfect world” to continue to play, since he’d need to find a contending team that is otherwise poised for a serious playoff run.

If he doesn’t retire as a member of the Broncos, it would be easy for him to return at any time. Maybe he finds a team in June. Maybe a spot opens in July or August. Maybe the quarterback of a contender gets injured at some point during the regular season.

Adam Sheffter is "the" semi-official NFL source. He doesn't tweet just his opinion. If he's saying this, that means someone in the Manning camp has talked to him.

This is a calculated ploy from the Manning camp to say: "wait a minute. Peyton can still play and would like to come back and prove what he can do if he's injury free." The point is to try and see if there's some team out there who would be interested.

He's apparently fishing for offers to see whether he would like to play for another team.

I had to ask "what would make Peyton successful in 2016?"

The answer would be:

#1 - a good to great pass blocking OL. Peyton needs time to throw and a clean pocket to throw from. He can't move very well, and he has a weak arm, so he needs to be able to step into his throw. Most of the problems he's had with the Broncos the last 2 years have been due to his horrible OL. He's been beat up and injured, and he hasn't had time to throw because defenders were consistently beating his OL.

#2 - He needs to go to a team willing to let him run HIS offense, and not something like the Kubiak offense. That wasn't a good fit.

#3 - He needs some weapons to throw to like he had with Denver in 2013. In 2014 & 2015 he lost Wes Welker, Julius Thomas, and Knowshon Moreno and nobody replaced their production. The Broncos went from an offensive juggernaut under Peyton to a defensive team with the conservative Kubiak system.

I don't know what teams fit that bill - who would be willing to rent Peyton for 1 year and run his offense, has a good to great OL and some good WRs.

TXBRONC
03-02-2016, 07:46 AM
If I were a Texans fan, I wouldn't feel any better about my team over paying for Brock Oz, only to create more uncertainty in the QB position. You're paying big money for a wild card QB.

Well you know that what you have in Brian Hoyer isn't going to get you very far it might be worth the risk.

NightTerror218
03-02-2016, 09:53 AM
Denver has been in contact with Oz and his agent this last week. A deal could very well be figured out.

I am thinking of it this way. If a deal is figured out Manning is going to be cut by deadline whether he retires or not. Manning way want to be released so he can retire a Colt.

Joel
03-02-2016, 10:07 AM
Denver has been in contact with Oz and his agent this last week. A deal could very well be figured out.

I am thinking of it this way. If a deal is figured out Manning is going to be cut by deadline whether he retires or not. Manning way want to be released so he can retire a Colt.
Then he should TELL ELWAY so we can get that and Oz' deal done without it looking like we're ungratefully kicking Mannings worn out body to the curb after finally getting the championship we brought him here to win. If that's all he wants, all this drama's pointless. It sounds like Elway wants Oz to test the market.

NightTerror218
03-02-2016, 10:16 AM
Then he should TELL ELWAY so we can get that and Oz' deal done without it looking like we're ungratefully kicking Mannings worn out body to the curb after finally getting the championship we brought him here to win. If that's all he wants, all this drama's pointless. It sounds like Elway wants Oz to test the market.

That is on manning, everyone knows he is not worth $19 M

Joel
03-02-2016, 10:37 AM
That is on manning, everyone knows he is not worth $19 M
Right, but if he just wants to be released to sign a one-day contract and retire as a Colt all he has to do is say, "Yeah, John, I'm done, but I want to retire as a Colt, so could ya'll go ahead and release me, please?" And Elways says, "sure, no problem, you're a FA; on your way out, could you please send in Oz before HE'S a FA?"

Nothing about this makes sense to me unless Manning thinks he can and should still play (which REALLY doesn't make sense to me.)

tripp
03-02-2016, 10:40 AM
Well you know that what you have in Brian Hoyer isn't going to get you very far it might be worth the risk.

True... I was getting ready to strangle Brian Hoyer myself during that wild card game against KC.

Ravage!!!
03-02-2016, 11:15 AM
True... I was getting ready to strangle Brian Hoyer myself during that wild card game against KC.

Yeah.. that was horrendous.

Ravage!!!
03-02-2016, 11:23 AM
Right, but if he just wants to be released to sign a one-day contract and retire as a Colt all he has to do is say, "Yeah, John, I'm done, but I want to retire as a Colt, so could ya'll go ahead and release me, please?" And Elways says, "sure, no problem, you're a FA; on your way out, could you please send in Oz before HE'S a FA?"

Nothing about this makes sense to me unless Manning thinks he can and should still play (which REALLY doesn't make sense to me.)

Here's the thing, though. No one is trying to make you understand. Elway gets it, as it was his advice (along with Dungy's) to take a month and make a decision when you aren't emotionally wrapped up in the Super Bowl victory. Elway knows what it's like to be there, and is giving him the time that HE suggested be taken. So it's really not that hard to understand. YOU think that it all comes down to numbers and emotionless decision making based on some numerical data. While the player, has been playing football competivly since he was 6.

So all this "he should just stop and quit and get out and make it easier on US"... is just fan crying. Some fans think they should have all the answers and be in the know at all times, because, they want it.

Tough. You aren't invited to be involved in the decision process, and you aren't on Manning's mind as to what decision he should make, nor when he should make it. "Your" understanding it, means nothing to him..... nor Elway.

Manning isn't doing ANYTHING that is forcing Elway's hand to a place Elway doesn't want to go. So this "hurry up Manning" stuff is just wasted emotions, thought process, and typing ribbon.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-02-2016, 01:28 PM
As every day passes, Broncos, fans and the NFL community await Peyton Manning's decision. Will he retire? Does he want to play? If he returns, where will he play?

Those questions will linger, at least for another day, according to Manning's agent Tom Condon.

Condon went on 104.3 The Fan Wednesday morning with Mark Schlereth and Mike Evans to talk about where Manning's mind is at as we inch closer to deadline day (March 8) for the Broncos and Manning.

"To tell you the truth, I know that Peyton has not decided," Condon said.

Condon emphasized the difficulty of Manning's decision because of his love for the game. Manning's brothers, Cooper and Eli, are the main people helping talk it through.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29585645/peyton-manning-still-mulling-retirement-decision-says-agent

You can hear everything Condon said at
http://www.1043thefan.com/fanpodcast/

Joel
03-02-2016, 01:29 PM
Here's the thing, though. No one is trying to make you understand. Elway gets it, as it was his advice (along with Dungy's) to take a month and make a decision when you aren't emotionally wrapped up in the Super Bowl victory. Elway knows what it's like to be there, and is giving him the time that HE suggested be taken. So it's really not that hard to understand. YOU think that it all comes down to numbers and emotionless decision making based on some numerical data. While the player, has been playing football competivly since he was 6.

So all this "he should just stop and quit and get out and make it easier on US"... is just fan crying. Some fans think they should have all the answers and be in the know at all times, because, they want it.

Tough. You aren't invited to be involved in the decision process, and you aren't on Manning's mind as to what decision he should make, nor when he should make it. "Your" understanding it, means nothing to him..... nor Elway.

Manning isn't doing ANYTHING that is forcing Elway's hand to a place Elway doesn't want to go. So this "hurry up Manning" stuff is just wasted emotions, thought process, and typing ribbon.
I thought it was "a few weeks," not "a month," but whatever. If Manning wants to trot out there and try to avoid getting cut, then avoid getting crippled or killed, that's his business, but I'll be stunned if he's doing it at Dove Valley, because I'll also be surprised if he's on the roster in a weeks time whether he retires or not. Elway's been where he is, but he's in a very different place now, and the Broncos will go on whatever Manning does/n't do.

I'd hate to see Manning go out like that, but it's his call; if he chooses to embarrassingly and pointlessly persevere I'll just pray he eventually walks away in one piece and in full command of his faculties.

Ravage!!!
03-02-2016, 01:34 PM
I thought it was "a few weeks," not "a month," but whatever. If Manning wants to trot out there and try to avoid getting cut, then avoid getting crippled or killed, that's his business, but I'll be stunned if he's doing it at Dove Valley, because I'll also be surprised if he's on the roster in a weeks time whether he retires or not. Elway's been where he is, but he's in a very different place now, and the Broncos will go on whatever Manning does/n't do.

I'd hate to see Manning go out like that, but it's his call; if he chooses to embarrassingly and pointlessly persevere I'll just pray he eventually walks away in one piece and in full command of his faculties.

Not really any differenc between a few weeks and a month. That just depends on your interpretation. But yeah.... it's his decision on how he wants it to go out. He's obviously been in contact with John, so it really just comes down to them doing what they want. Meanwhile, the fans just have to wait and quit with the impatience as if it's keeping Elway and the Broncos from doing their job....because it's not.

Cugel
03-02-2016, 02:40 PM

It's a bit more complicated than that. Manning is sticking a toe in the water to test the market.

There are two possibilities. One - some team like the Rams swoops in and makes Osweiler a $17M a year QB and Denver loses him. Then there's a possibility Elway would try and draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round, and develop him for a year or two before throwing him in there.

In that scenario, it might make sense to bring Peyton back for one year, perhaps for around $10M a year.

Second possibility: some team might need a QB. This might not happen immediately. A team might hope to find their franchise QB in the draft, and not succeed. A team might try and land a FA QB but not succeed in getting one to their liking. A team might suffer an injury during the off-season.

In short, Manning might wind up like a lot of guys who want to play, but are not on anybody's active roster - working out and waiting for the phone to ring. Just because nobody is calling Manning right now, doesn't mean he won't make a roster this season with a chance to be the starter.

It's happened before - most notably with Brett Favre who bounced around quite a bit at the end.

Everybody tells Manning to just ride off into the sunset. But, he doesn't want to. He wants to play. And he'll probably get that chance.

Just imagine that it's week 2 of the pre-season, and your QB just looked like crap in the first pre-season game. You have a sinking premonition of your season going down the drain if it continues like that. Suddenly, the option of Peyton Manning starts to look pretty good.

He might not have much left, but your idiot QB just went out and threw 2 bad picks in a half against the Titans, and you're pretty sure that Manning isn't going to do that. And you know this because you watched him play against the Chargers, in the playoffs and in the SB and he only threw 1 pick in his final 4 games.

And you think "that we can live with. He might not be the Peyton of old, but would he really be worse than the way Ryan Tannehill is playing right now?" Or somebody like that.

Ravage!!!
03-02-2016, 03:38 PM
That's speculation and guess work at the highest degree. Talk about trying to make fiction sound like known fact.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Broncos (for now) quarterback Peyton Manning is thinking about retirement. But he isn’t thinking about what he’ll do after retirement.

Manning, the subject of much “Will he or won’t he?” speculation over the last week, shed no light on whether he will retire when he spoke in Jacksonville on Wednesday night. He did say, however, that he hasn’t a clue what he’ll do next.

“It’s hard to say,” Manning said. “I think the one reason I’ve enjoyed my current job so much is I’ve been all in on it. I have not thought much about anything else beside the job that I was currently employed to do. I understand we’re closer to that point in time now, but I felt like I owed it to the teams that I played for, I owed it to my teammates, my coaches, to the fans, that I was 100 percent all in on this current job. When that stops then I’ll kind of move to plan B.”

rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/03/peyton-manning-says-hes-given-no-thought-to-post-football-life/

Denver Native (Carol)
03-03-2016, 03:16 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 4m

Manning's contract says must be available for physical March 4. But #Broncos don't have to make him take one.Makes March 8 date big deadline

Joel
03-03-2016, 10:00 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 4m

Manning's contract says must be available for physical March 4. But #Broncos don't have to make him take one.Makes March 8 date big deadline
Why wouldn't we require the physical? If we're considering paying him the $19M he's due next week if still on the roster, a physical's practically obligatory for a QB who's played hurt the last half of the last THREE seasons (including ALL of 2015.) And if we don't want him back even if he wants to keep playing, bombing the physical (which, considering the reported recovery time for a torn PF, is likely) would give us a way to cut him without looking like ungrateful d-bags.

What's the argument for NOT requiring the physical? :confused:

NightTerror218
03-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Why wouldn't we require the physical? If we're considering paying him the $19M he's due next week if still on the roster, a physical's practically obligatory for a QB who's played hurt the last half of the last THREE seasons (including ALL of 2015.) And if we don't want him back even if he wants to keep playing, bombing the physical (which, considering the reported recovery time for a torn PF, is likely) would give us a way to cut him without looking like ungrateful d-bags.

In his contract that each year he must pass a physical

Joel
03-03-2016, 10:09 PM
In his contract that each year he must pass a physical
Right, but we've had the right to waive that requirement since... 2014, I think? What possible reason could we have to let it slide tomorrow?

Do the physical; if he passes, maybe playing out his contract's an option for us (which wouldn't be good news for Oz' agent.) If not, well, hey, it's not OUR fault he can't finish his contract, his body just won't take it: The doctor—NOT Elway—said so.

Davii
03-03-2016, 10:10 PM

Because we have no intention of having him under contract next league year?

Joel
03-03-2016, 11:07 PM
Because we have no intention of having him under contract next league year?
So? We're still free to cut him if he passes the physical, but if he doesn't no one would blame us for cutting a guy a doctor says CAN'T play.

VonDoom
03-03-2016, 11:13 PM
So? We're still free to cut him if he passes the physical, but if he doesn't no one would blame us for cutting a guy a doctor says CAN'T play.

It just says we're not REQUIRED to give him the physical. Maybe we're planning on it anyway. Renck wasn't specific

Joel
03-04-2016, 01:04 AM
It just says we're not REQUIRED to give him the physical. Maybe we're planning on it anyway. Renck wasn't specific
Right, I'm saying since it's at our option: There's our out. If we cut him before he announced anything we'd look like MAJOR douches, kicking the GoAT to the curb while still celebrating the SB we brought him here to win. But if a doctor says he physically CAN'T play, the decision's out of our hands.

Given that, and the fact the physical's at our option: What time can you be at the doctors office tomorrow, Peyton?

Lancane
03-04-2016, 01:21 AM
According to most of the talking heads at NFLN it sounds like Manning is not ready to retire, he actually blamed injury and a new scheme for his short comings this year at a dinner in Jacksonville yesterday (no joke).

Joel
03-04-2016, 05:03 AM
According to most of the talking heads at NFLN it sounds like Manning is not ready to retire, he actually blamed injury and a new scheme for his short comings this year at a dinner in Jacksonville yesterday (no joke).
Then I thank him for his service and wish him well in future endeavors. But we no longer have the ability nor CAUSE to play "just one more year" yet another year: We need a QB for the next DECADE, not just next year. We've only got ONE who may have THAT ability, and he'll be starting SOMEWHERE for 8-figures next year. So if Manning keeps trucking I hope he's not hurt and/or embarrassed, and that Von and Ware aren't forced to crush him.

TXBRONC
03-04-2016, 08:47 AM

I had heard that he waffling on retiring but I didn't hear what his reasoning is. Both of those things are true to a degree but he's not even close quarterback he was when he was signed four years ago.

Davii
03-04-2016, 09:32 AM

Nobody will "blame us" either way. Why do we give a damn what someone else thinks? Elway doesn't. Failing his physical and then passing one for another team (if he decides to continue) would raise more questions that Elway deciding he's ready to move on would. FFS Joel, stop making every damn thing some sort of catastrophe. You must be miserable to be around IRL.

Northman
03-04-2016, 09:33 AM
Nobody will "blame us" either way. Why do we give a damn what someone else thinks? Elway doesn't. Failing his physical and then passing one for another team (if he decides to continue) would raise more questions that Elway deciding he's ready to move on would. FFS Joel, stop making every damn thing some sort of catastrophe. You must be miserable to be around IRL.

He over analyzes everything. lol

artie_dale
03-04-2016, 11:09 AM
Yeah, I doubt Elway will catch any flack for cutting Peyton. It is solely a financial decision. Players get cut all the time for financial purposes. Every fan actually wants Peyton to retire. If he doesn't, they will question him, not Elway.

TXBRONC
03-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Yeah, I doubt Elway will catch any flack for cutting Peyton. It is solely a financial decision. Players get cut all the time for financial purposes. Every fan actually wants Peyton to retire. If he doesn't, they will question him, not Elway.

Considering the year Manning had Elway and the organization won't have to worry about taking a huge p.r. hit.

Northman
03-04-2016, 11:32 AM

And to be fair most people that i have asked who are not Bronco fans think Manning should hang it up as well. Its not like many people are saying Manning still has the "it" factor. Most people think he should ride out on top because his play has surely dropped off over a year and handful of games.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-04-2016, 06:44 PM
Peyton Manning isn’t giving interviews, but he is giving speeches. And he keeps sounding like he wants to keep playing.

On Wednesday, Manning gave a speech in Florida and didn’t sound like a man who’s ready to retire. And today, Manning gave a speech in Las Vegas and once again sounded like he thinks he has another season left in him.

Michele Steele of ESPN attended the speech and said Manning gave no indication that he’s done playing. Manning also talked about his playing career in the present tense, not the past tense.

“My vision is to compete against the very best at the highest level,” Manning said.

rest - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/04/peyton-manning-again-sounds-like-he-wants-to-keep-playing/

ShaneFalco
03-04-2016, 07:14 PM
we should keep peyton.

Tned
03-04-2016, 07:20 PM

I think that there is an argument to made for that. If his foot heals up and he plays in a shotgun offense with some decent protection, he can probably still be competitive. Elite? I don't think so, but above average.

NightTerror218
03-04-2016, 07:25 PM
Video on NFL that broncos made significant offer to Oz.

slim
03-04-2016, 07:36 PM
we should keep peyton.

Keep him in our prayers?

Cugel
03-04-2016, 08:11 PM
Video on NFL that broncos made significant offer to Oz.

And the Broncos Insiders like Mike Klis and Troy Renk have reported the two sides are "far apart" on a new contract. That "significant offer" is believed to be around $12 M a year. Osweiler's agent thinks that with Kirk Cousins and Sam Bradford signing BIG $ contracts, that Brock's numbers are more like $16 M a year 2 year guarantee.

So, unless the agent is wrong and nobody steps up to offer Brock $15M or more then he's gone.

That $11-$12 M ceiling that Elway is offering is basically saying "we think you're mediocre kid, and you ain't worth the average price. (about $16 M a year)." Of course, they don't actually say that, but money talks, and $12 M a year is not quality starter in the NFL money.

Cugel
03-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Quote Originally Posted by Lancane View Post

I think Peyton is totally right, and that his struggles were almost entirely due to the following:

#1 - the OL was horrible all year long.

#2 - the Broncos lost 3 out of Manning's 5 weapons from 2013 (J. Thomas, Welker and Knowshon - who caught 60 passes that year) and failed to replace any of their production.

#3 - New Kubiak offense was designed to run the ball. Only because the OL was putrid, they couldn't, putting all the pressure on Peyton to salvage games. Only the offensive system isn't designed to do that.

So, theoretically, if Peyton was able to find a team:

#1 - who would let him run HIS system instead of the Kubiak system.

#2 - had a really great pass-blocking OL to protect him from injury and give him a clean pocket to throw from.

and #3 - gave him some weapons to throw to,

he could be successful. A lot MORE successful than he was last year.

But, is there such a team out there for him willing to bring him in for a season?

His agent Condon seemed to think he might wait around for some QB to fail in the pre-season or for some team to suffer a QB injury and then say "well, we might as well give Peyton a call."

Simple Jaded
03-04-2016, 10:51 PM
we should keep peyton.

No Shane, that's the weed talking.

Lancane
03-05-2016, 07:12 AM
I think that there is an argument to made for that. If his foot heals up and he plays in a shotgun offense with some decent protection, he can probably still be competitive. Elite? I don't think so, but above average.

Maybe, but the year before the team was running his offense and there was a visable diminishing of skill from game to game late October on. So? Is he fooling himself or not? Guess we'll find out.

TXBRONC
03-05-2016, 10:41 AM
Maybe, but the year before the team was running his offense and there was a visable diminishing of skill from game to game late October on. So? Is he fooling himself or not? Guess we'll find out.

He was injured then as well, and if memory serves me right it was quad injury. Healthy or not he doesn't have the zip on his passes that he once did.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-05-2016, 10:55 AM
There were rumors last weekend saying that Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning would retire later this week. Well since then, there has been many comments, public speeches, and rumors swirling that Manning may actually want to play in 2016.

This puts the Broncos in a tough(or rather easy) situation. Manning's salary will be fully guaranteed on March 9th, only four days from today.

Well, Manning's agent Tom Condon appeared told Dan Sileo of The Mighty 1090 in San Diego on Friday that "the Broncos will have to make a move" before the March 9th deadline.

rest - http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/3/5/11164896/peyton-mannings-agent-tom-condon-says-the-broncos-will-have-to-make-a

Cugel
03-05-2016, 12:06 PM

This is common sense.

I keep hearing people like Mike Klis saying that Osweiler's agent won't take the negotiations seriously, "until the Manning situation is clarified." Then I just want Manning to get the hell out of the way.

"Just make your damn decision already!" :mad:

The notion that we could lose Brock Osweiler because Manning is screwing around and can't make a decision, or is just selfishly refusing to acknowledge reality drives me into a rage.

AND THEN REALITY SETS IN! And the voice of reason in my brain says "Wait a minute. Why would anything depend on Manning? Surely Elway can tell Brock's agent what everybody in the known universe already knows - that the Broncos are NOT going to bring back Manning under any circumstances."

Brock's agent knows that. So, what exactly needs to be "clarified" with regard to the Manning situation? That if Manning refuses to retire before his $19M salary becomes fully guaranteed next week the Broncos will release him? That's 100%.

The Broncos couldn't bring back Manning if they wanted to. They desperately need and are counting on that $19 M in cap relief to sign other FAs like Von Miller, Brock and Malik Jackson.

So, what is Brock's agent waiting for? Answer: the Broncos want to sign a deal prior to the start of FA, for the same reason that Brock's agent does NOT want to sign a deal prior to the start of FA.

Once FA starts some team might flip out and offer Brock a $16-$17 M a year contract. The minute FA starts all the negotiating leverage shifts from the Broncos to Osweiler.

So, they are not eager to sign too soon, before they can see what other teams have to offer. Brock would like to return to the Broncos, but not if it means giving up $4 M a year or something.

He has the Broncos best offer, which is reported to be somewhere around $39M for 3 seasons ($13 M a year with some incentives). That's their best offer.

And it's NOT average starter money. Brock believes that he deserves and will get average starter money - in the $15M a year range.

He's probably right.

So, Manning's situation has absolutely ZERO to do with the Broncos re-signing Osweiler. What's holding up the re-signing of Osweiler is Osweiler. He doesn't want to sign a Broncos-friendly deal or give the team a "hometown discount."

Only fans think like that. If the Broncos wanted a "hometown discount" they should have re-signed him last season. Having made him wait until his contract expired and he became a FA he's absolutely NOT going to give them any discount at all.

And the Broncos do NOT have a "right of first refusal" either. Meaning that if some team comes in above the Broncos offer of around $39M a year - Brock will either take it or refuse it. But, he's not going to give the Broncos the right to "match."

As Chad Brown was pointing out on the radio yesterday, during the Elway era - NOT ONE FA has ever re-signed with the Broncos after they became an un-restricted FA. The Broncos do not negotiate with their own players in FA. They will have made their best offer. The player either takes it or becomes a FA.

If he becomes a FA, he's gone.

So, if Osweiler hits FA he's gone.

As of Monday, March 7, "Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2015 Player Contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 9. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 9."

If no deal is done by Monday, Osweiler is gone when FA starts on Wednesday at 2:00 PM Denver time.

In that case, if you look on the internet news at about 2:15 P.M. Denver time on Wednesday, you will see that Osweiler has signed with some other team.

NightTerror218
03-05-2016, 01:52 PM
To me it seems like Manning wants the Broncos to make their move first.

I do think he wants to play but I think he wants to retire a Colt too.

LTC Pain
03-05-2016, 02:01 PM
This is common sense.

I keep hearing people like Mike Klis saying that Osweiler's agent won't take the negotiations seriously, "until the Manning situation is clarified." Then I just want Manning to get the hell out of the way.

"Just make your damn decision already!" :mad:

The notion that we could lose Brock Osweiler because Manning is screwing around and can't make a decision, or is just selfishly refusing to acknowledge reality drives me into a rage.

AND THEN REALITY SETS IN! And the voice of reason in my brain says "Wait a minute. Why would anything depend on Manning? Surely Elway can tell Brock's agent what everybody in the known universe already knows - that the Broncos are NOT going to bring back Manning under any circumstances."

Brock's agent knows that. So, what exactly needs to be "clarified" with regard to the Manning situation? That if Manning refuses to retire before his $19M salary becomes fully guaranteed next week the Broncos will release him? That's 100%.

The Broncos couldn't bring back Manning if they wanted to. They desperately need and are counting on that $19 M in cap relief to sign other FAs like Von Miller, Brock and Malik Jackson.

So, what is Brock's agent waiting for? Answer: the Broncos want to sign a deal prior to the start of FA, for the same reason that Brock's agent does NOT want to sign a deal prior to the start of FA.

Once FA starts some team might flip out and offer Brock a $16-$17 M a year contract. The minute FA starts all the negotiating leverage shifts from the Broncos to Osweiler.

So, they are not eager to sign too soon, before they can see what other teams have to offer. Brock would like to return to the Broncos, but not if it means giving up $4 M a year or something.

He has the Broncos best offer, which is reported to be somewhere around $39M for 3 seasons ($13 M a year with some incentives). That's their best offer.

And it's NOT average starter money. Brock believes that he deserves and will get average starter money - in the $15M a year range.

He's probably right.

So, Manning's situation has absolutely ZERO to do with the Broncos re-signing Osweiler. What's holding up the re-signing of Osweiler is Osweiler. He doesn't want to sign a Broncos-friendly deal or give the team a "hometown discount."

Only fans think like that. If the Broncos wanted a "hometown discount" they should have re-signed him last season. Having made him wait until his contract expired and he became a FA he's absolutely NOT going to give them any discount at all.

And the Broncos do NOT have a "right of first refusal" either. Meaning that if some team comes in above the Broncos offer of around $39M a year - Brock will either take it or refuse it. But, he's not going to give the Broncos the right to "match."

As Chad Brown was pointing out on the radio yesterday, during the Elway era - NOT ONE FA has ever re-signed with the Broncos after they became an un-restricted FA. The Broncos do not negotiate with their own players in FA. They will have made their best offer. The player either takes it or becomes a FA.

If he becomes a FA, he's gone.

So, if Osweiler hits FA he's gone.

As of Monday, March 7, "Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2015 Player Contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 9. However, a contract cannot be executed with a new club until 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 9."

If no deal is done by Monday, Osweiler is gone when FA starts on Wednesday at 2:00 PM Denver time.

In that case, if you look on the internet news at about 2:15 P.M. Denver time on Wednesday, you will see that Osweiler has signed with some other team.

Proven in readability research - The more you type, the more readers tune-out.

http://driftglass.blogspot.com/2013/06/the-more-i-type-more-of-you-tune-out.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Q_UsmvtyxEI

Northman
03-05-2016, 02:06 PM
To me it seems like Manning wants the Broncos to make their move first.

I do think he wants to play but I think he wants to retire a Colt too.

Well, he could retire as a Colt anytime. He could retire and then sign a one day contract with the Colts and do that if that is what his wish is. But it sounds like he actually wants to play and that is putting Denver in a tough position. At this point i wish Denver would just cut him and then let him do what he wants to do afterwards.

TXBRONC
03-05-2016, 02:38 PM
Well, he could retire as a Colt anytime. He could retire and then sign a one day contract with the Colts and do that if that is what his wish is. But it sounds like he actually wants to play and that is putting Denver in a tough position. At this point i wish Denver would just cut him and then let him do what he wants to do afterwards.

I would hate for Denver have to do that but if Manning is going to leave Denver no.choice then Elway has to do what is best for the team.

DenBronx
03-05-2016, 02:48 PM
Do we lose any cap or have to pay a penalty, even if it's a small one if we cut Manning by the 8th?

VonDoom
03-05-2016, 03:04 PM
Do we lose any cap or have to pay a penalty, even if it's a small one if we cut Manning by the 8th?

Nope. Whether Manning is cut or retires, we save $19 million and have 2.5 million in dead money

VonDoom
03-05-2016, 03:05 PM
Klis is reporting that the Broncos offered Os 3 years, over $45 million. Of course, guarantees are what matters, so we won't know the real deal unless it's accepted. He also said it includes incentives. So that's where we are at this point

Northman
03-05-2016, 03:35 PM
Klis is reporting that the Broncos offered Os 3 years, over $45 million. Of course, guarantees are what matters, so we won't know the real deal unless it's accepted. He also said it includes incentives. So that's where we are at this point

If Brock doesnt take that i dont know what to say.

Valar Morghulis
03-05-2016, 03:40 PM

I would say good luck and good bye

DenBronx
03-05-2016, 04:46 PM

Maybe goodbye? I could see the Texans or Browns overpaying for him. If so it only means 1 of the big 3 QBs will drop. Every year a talented QB slides in the draft. Remember, Aaron Rogers was being talked about going #1 overall then slid all the way to the Pack? I don't think that happens to Goff but he could slide into the teens and certainly Lynch will slide into the 20s.

I can see us trading UP in the 1st round to strike if one guy starts to slide if we let Brock go. What's our alternative? Sign RG knee???

Cugel
03-05-2016, 08:36 PM

He suffered a torn muscle in his thigh in the San Diego game. That was the reported reason his play suffered towards the end of the season.

Then this season he was in the Kubiak offense and the OL was horrible and they couldn't run the ball and they only had 2 weapons - Emanuel Sanders and D.T., instead of five (J. Thomas, Welker and Knowshon).

But, assuming that he can still play, which is not a stupid assumption, it's not a surprise that 40 year old Peyton can't stay healthy. It's an open question whether he can play an entire season even if he has a great OL and they let him stand back in the shot-gun and run his offense.

It would have to be the right situation. Who knows if any team is going to want him? Who knows how much they will be willing to pay? Who knows whether Peyton will want to play for that team?

For instance, it would be ideal for the Browns to sign him to a 1 year deal, and then draft Goff or Wenz with the #2 overall pick. But, it doesn't look like they are doing that. Instead they seem to want Brock Osweiler.

Personally I wouldn't go to Cleveland no matter how much money they offered. That's where careers go to die. It's not even that you would never play in the playoffs again in your career, it's that Cleveland is a bottom feeder organization with bad coaches and bad players, a bad owner and bad GM, where talented players go and disappear.

When they are cut by the Browns they find nobody else wants them.

Texans is another story. I could see Osweiler signing with the Texans if they offer him $18 M a year.

I don't know why they would but, all the news organizations keep saying they will make a major play for Osweiler. This is what happens when Brian Hoyer was your starting QB and he threw 50 picks in the playoff game.

The team met with a litany of quarterbacks at the combine, including the five big names that have been on the draft radar for months: North Dakota State's Carson Wentz, Cal's Jared Goff, Memphis' Paxton Lynch, Michigan State's Connor Cook and Penn State's Christian Hackenberg. But it doesn't end there.

Brock Osweiler and Robert Griffin III are expected to get looks on the Texans' free-agent radar. Osweiler in particular might be a far bigger target than anyone anticipates. Even the New England Patriots' Jimmy Garoppolo could come into play with Tom Brady's recent contract extension (though any starting point in a conversation regarding Garoppolo is expected to be a first-round pick). Even Peyton Manning, should he continue his career, is a name that can't be ruled out of the Texans' equation.

[ STACK: See which QB prospect had the strongest arm at the NFL Combine ]

The multiple names and possibilities tied to Houston speaks to why so many are seeking a better grip on what the Texans are doing. The Broncos are trying to get Osweiler under a new deal and are weighing what the Texans would bid if Osweiler hits free agency. The Philadelphia Eagles, before signing Sam Bradford to a two-year deal, were wondering if Houston would make a play for him in the open market. Griffin is eyeing Houston as a potential long-term destination. And almost every agent with a quarterback who is draftable in the first three rounds is looking at the Texans as a possibility.

Any one of the aforementioned players could fit in some scenario. Indeed, the Texans could even pluck two options from a list of targets. Either Manning or Griffin could be signed as bridge quarterbacks, coming in under a one or two-year contract, with Houston also spending a draft pick on another player to groom. In that scenario, if a player like Griffin thrived again, the opportunity to work a new deal would be on the table.

TXBRONC
03-05-2016, 08:44 PM
Maybe goodbye? I could see the Texans or Browns overpaying for him. If so it only means 1 of the big 3 QBs will drop. Every year a talented QB slides in the draft. Remember, Aaron Rogers was being talked about going #1 overall then slid all the way to the Pack? I don't think that happens to Goff but he could slide into the teens and certainly Lynch will slide into the 20s.

I can see us trading UP in the 1st round to strike if one guy starts to slide if we let Brock go. What's our alternative? Sign RG knee???

But isn't this considered a rather weak quarterback class this year?

Lancane
03-05-2016, 08:55 PM
But isn't this considered a rather weak quarterback class this year?

Depends on who you ask TX, it was considered that when you have no clear cut Top 5 quarterbacks, Wentz and Goff have altered it, throw in Lynch and that is three QB's graded out Top 15 which is about average. So while not great it is far from poor. And there is depth to be had when you throw in Cook, Prescott, Hogan and so on.