PDA

View Full Version : All-Time Postseason Records (Head to Head)

OrangeHoof
02-28-2016, 09:21 PM
Through the 2015 season, the Broncos have a fascinating record in the playoffs, particularly against franchises some might consider better than ours.

Denver is 5-3 against the Pittsburgh Steelers, including wins in (NFL seasons) 1977, 1989, 1997, 2011 and 2015.

Denver is 4-1 against the New England Patriots, including wins in 1986, 2005, 2013 and 2015. Their only loss was in 2011.

Denver is 3-0 against the Cleveland Browns but 0-2 against their illegitimate spawn, the Baltimore Ravens.

Against our own division, we are 1-0 against the Chiefs, 1-0 against the Chargers, 1-1 against the Raiders and 0-1 against the Seahawks while they were in the AFC West and 0-1 after they switched conferences.

Want a team to fear in the playoffs? That would be the Indianapolis Colts, who have beaten us three times in three tries by a combined score of 114-47. Overall, the Broncos were 9-2 against the Colts between 1974 through 1993, missed then on the schedule for nine years and then are 3-11 from 2002 through 2015.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/game_query.cgi?tm1=den&tm2=clt&yr=all

DenBronx
02-29-2016, 04:58 AM
Part of the reason we lost to the Colts all of those years was Manning. Part of the reason we lost to the Colts when Manning was a Bronco was also because of Manning, he was terrible in those losses.

But part of the reason we have had so much success these past 4 years has been Manning.

Joel
02-29-2016, 05:58 AM
What I found interesting before the SB is that we tied Pitt, Dallas and NE* for most SB appearances, yet those 32/100 SB berths include only FOUR head-to-heads. Part of that's because Dallas is the only NFC team, but even so it's odd they've only faced us ONCE (and never NE*.) So 4 teams account for over HALF of ALL SBs.

Also, our next SB would give us SOLE possession of the record for most appearances. :) Unless we play Dallas again. :tongue:

VonDoom
02-29-2016, 10:03 AM
What I found interesting before the SB is that we tied Pitt, Dallas and NE* for most SB appearances, yet those 32/100 SB berths include only FOUR head-to-heads. Part of that's because Dallas is the only NFC team, but even so it's odd they've only faced us ONCE (and never NE*.) So 4 teams account for over HALF of ALL SBs.

Also, our next SB would give us SOLE possession of the record for most appearances. :) Unless we play Dallas again. :tongue:

I was actually thinking about something similar before this recent Super Bowl. Three of the four teams who have been there eight times are from the AFC. So between Denver, NE and Pitt, that's 24 out of 50 Super Bowl appearances. Nearly half of the time, the AFC is represented by one of those three teams. That's crazy.

Also, to the OP - I love that record against the Patriots. Good stat! :beer:

OrangeHoof
02-29-2016, 10:52 AM
Yeah, 8 Super Bowl appearances and four Hall of Famers. Go figure.

Joel
02-29-2016, 11:29 AM
Yeah, 8 Super Bowl appearances and four Hall of Famers. Go figure.
Must've had AMAZING coaches then; so they're all in the Hall, right...? ;)

Especially since one of them made 8 SB appearances of his own as a player or coach on those teams, plus a 9th with the Falcons.

TXBRONC
02-29-2016, 03:11 PM
I was actually thinking about something similar before this recent Super Bowl. Three of the four teams who have been there eight times are from the AFC. So between Denver, NE and Pitt, that's 24 out of 50 Super Bowl appearances. Nearly half of the time, the AFC is represented by one of those three teams. That's crazy.

Also, to the OP - I love that record against the Patriots. Good stat! :beer:

We keep hearing how the NFC is the stronger conference yet three of the last four Super Bowls have been taken by the AFC.

Joel
02-29-2016, 04:45 PM
We keep hearing how the NFC is the stronger conference yet three of the last four Super Bowls have been taken by the AFC.
Because last year was the first in a while that I heard many people say the NFC was stronger. Go back more than a couple years and it's mostly NE*, Pitt or Baltimore dominating except two times the Giants absurdly overachieved. The NFCW was garbage, the NFCE flamed out unless the Giants defied EXPECTATIONS of failure, GB was the only decent NFCN team and the Saints were one-year wonders in an NFCS whose only other decent team was the underachieving Falcons.

Come to think, Seattle and GB had the NFCs only "statement" wins of the Millennium: The Giants' wins were huge upsets, the '09 Saints need Bounties and an onside second half kick to make up their 10 pt halftime deficit and Tampa won by shredding an Oakland playbook their coach WROTE. I must give the Giants credit though: After '07, most NE* fans (and more than a few Giants fans) said they win that game 9 times in 10, and demanding a rematch; they got it 4 years later but STILL lost.

The AFC's been fairly dominant recently, unless we go back to our first championship. The NFC's 26-24 all time, but what always staggers me is that the AFL needed THIRTY YEARS to catch up: It not only had the 1-15 run before our win, but even before that 5 of the first 12 "AFC" winners were NFL teams who switched conferences after the merger. The AFL was 9-17 in SBs before we won, even though the AFC was 14-17.

That, incidentally, makes the AFC 10-9 since we ended its drought (and the AFL 7-9, but obviously no one from the pre-merger Colts or Steelers is still playing.)