PDA

View Full Version : Woody Paige: Peyton Manning to retire

VonDoom
02-27-2016, 08:31 PM
His Bronc riding days are over; the last rodeo is done.

Peyton Manning is saying goodbye; it's been lots of fun.

I'm told Manning will acknowledge his decision by the end of this week.

In all probability, Peyton, who will turn 40 on March 24, is leaving the Broncos and retiring from the game he has played competitively for 29 years.

It's implausible that Manning would opt to sign with another team for one season.

Manning's final play for the Broncos was a handoff to C.J. Anderson for 5 yards with 1:22 remaining in Super Bowl 50. Manning's first play with Denver was a handoff to Willis McGahee in the opening moments of a September game in 2012.

In between, Manning threw for 151 touchdowns and 19,062 yards. He ran for one touchdown. He won 76.9 percent of the games he started with the Broncos, compiling an overall 50-15 record. He came off the bench to lead the Broncos to one other victory in his final regular-season game.

With Manning, the Broncos won four consecutive AFC West titles. The Broncos played in two Super Bowls, winning one.

http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_29570921/paige-broncos-peyton-manning-will-ride-off-into

Valar Morghulis
02-27-2016, 08:34 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_29570921/paige-broncos-peyton-manning-will-ride-off-into

Just reading his record and stats in Denver makes me smile

Northman
02-27-2016, 08:52 PM
Makes total sense. He got the great ending.

BroncoWave
02-27-2016, 09:13 PM
Didn't expect anything different.

VonDoom
02-27-2016, 09:35 PM
On the other hand ...

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 45m45 minutes ago

Source says Broncos have not been informed of any decision by Peyton Manning and that the team expects to talk to him again this week.

Patrick Smyth ‏@psmyth12 25m25 minutes ago

Patrick Smyth Retweeted Dan Petty

Peyton has not made a decision on his future. Plan remains for him to continue talks with the team this week.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 21m21 minutes ago

In fairness and credit to @woodypaige the headline was worded much stronger than his column

------------------------

Now either, a) Woody wanted some clicks and page views on a Saturday night, and wrote the column that we all assume is happening anyway or b) he just jumped the gun on his source.

I'm not surprised that the Broncos aren't officially acknowledging anything, though; until Peyton is primed to do a press conference to make an announcement, they're going to stick to their story.

So ultimately ... nothing to see here?

Krugan
02-27-2016, 09:49 PM
His stats here are just great, alot of qbs would be happy to sniff those in 8 years, much less 4.

As tough as this year was to watch with him, its going to be damn hard to get close to that in a replacement.

This franchise has been gifted with great QB play, and i sure hope the future finds someone who can hold up to what was before.

spikerman
02-27-2016, 10:50 PM
On the other hand ...

ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk 45m45 minutes ago

Source says Broncos have not been informed of any decision by Peyton Manning and that the team expects to talk to him again this week.

Patrick Smyth ‏@psmyth12 25m25 minutes ago

Patrick Smyth Retweeted Dan Petty

Peyton has not made a decision on his future. Plan remains for him to continue talks with the team this week.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 21m21 minutes ago

In fairness and credit to @woodypaige the headline was worded much stronger than his column

------------------------

Now either, a) Woody wanted some clicks and page views on a Saturday night, and wrote the column that we all assume is happening anyway or b) he just jumped the gun on his source.

I'm not surprised that the Broncos aren't officially acknowledging anything, though; until Peyton is primed to do a press conference to make an announcement, they're going to stick to their story.

So ultimately ... nothing to see here?

I don't think the reporters write the headlines.

Magnificent Seven
02-28-2016, 12:05 AM

Feeling emotional...

Dapper Dan
02-28-2016, 12:20 AM
Woody Paige is by far my favorite journalist. Besides Mo

BronColt
02-28-2016, 12:26 AM
In a perfect world, you quit while your ahead. In Peytons world, he quit while at the top, and there is no better way to go out!

Even more interesting than him finally calling it a career is what he'll do now. Will he join a sports network as a commentator, coach a team, buy a team? Or will he just take a year off and be with his family?

When you're the champ you can do whatever the hell you want.

Mannings earned it.

Riding off in the sunset was always Peytons destiny wasn't it? He's got himself a nice Bronco and an awesome sunset.

Ride on Peyton Manning and thank you for all the memories!

pulse
02-28-2016, 02:07 AM
If he holds a press conference, I hope the questions from reporters are respectful to his retirement and the Denver Broncos. Please don't make it a TMZ episode.

Joel
02-28-2016, 02:49 AM
In a perfect world, you quit while your ahead. In Peytons world, he quit while at the top, and there is no better way to go out!

Even more interesting than him finally calling it a career is what he'll do now. Will he join a sports network as a commentator, coach a team, buy a team? Or will he just take a year off and be with his family?

When you're the champ you can do whatever the hell you want.

Mannings earned it.

Riding off in the sunset was always Peytons destiny wasn't it? He's got himself a nice Bronco and an awesome sunset.

Ride on Peyton Manning and thank you for all the memories!
If memory serves, Elway took a few years off to rest before jumping back in as arena league and, eventually, NFL executive. And he wasn't recovering from the kind of injury history and media circus that Manning's endured the last few years; it wasn't good, but wasn't THAT bad.

Unless it's the kind of deal Mr. Bowlen offered Elway, Peyton also doesn't have the cash to buy him a football team (at least not an NFL team.) That's a BILLION dollar investment, so the $100 million Manning reportedly saved up prior to 2015 would only be enough for the down payment. Maybe if he, Eli and their dad pooled all their cash for a buy-in, but no one's going to sell Manning >$300,000,000 in annual revenue sharing PLUS stadium revenue for the kind of cash he can offer.

On the other hand, he does have enough in the bank he can generally live however he likes SHORT of collecting NFL teams, and for the rest of his life. That's why I expect him to end up as either a coach or GM, continuing to follow the Elway Plan. A commentators booth just strikes me as too far from the game for anyone as obsessively devoted to it as Manning. He doesn't want to merely watch: He wants his head in the huddle, and as close to the field as his age-worn body allows.

I just hope he DOES retire on top; watching him go out like Montana or, worse, Unitas would just be heartbreaking. He's got nothing left to prove and a great deal to lose by continuing to subject his body to more NFL punishment. And that's if he could even find a team desperate enough to start an immobile injury-prone 40-year-old with diminishing arm strength. Even Jerry Rice and Darrell Green had to call it a career eventually.

Cugel
02-28-2016, 04:02 AM
It's the best option at this point. I still think Manning could be effective if he came back, but only if things were different:

#1 - He'd need to go back to something similar to the kind of offense he ran in 2012-14, not the Kubiak offense.

#2 - He'd need a really good OL to pass block for him.

#3 - He'd need some more weapons, like he had in 2013. That season the Broncos had 5 offensive threats. Besides D.T. and Decker, Julius Thomas was a mismatch in the red zone who commanded double teams. All of the Broncos current TEs can be covered with a LB. Do that with J.T. and it was an almost guaranteed TD. Nobody has replaced Wes Welker's production as the #3 WR, and Knowshon Moreno caught 60 passes coming out of the backfield - more than Denver's RBs combined in 2015.

Take away three out of five weapons and Denver's offensive struggles in the red-zone become a lot more understandable.

But, the Broncos are not going to get anybody to replace that talent any time soon. All the emphasis is on the defense. Thus, the #3 WR will remain an afterthought, and the TEs will again be mediocre at best.

Mediocre OL, mediocre offensive weapons. Even if the salary cap weren't an issue, it's time for Manning to move on.

Joel
02-28-2016, 05:12 AM
I still think Fowler ends up our #3 WR (or #2 with Sanders in the slot, depending how one looks at it.) And I take Elway at his word when he says we're prioritizing the offensive line this offseason, just as I remain convinced Dennison will reproduce the same excellent lines that have been his consistent hallmark from the late '90s Broncos through the '00s Texans and into 2014s Ravens. Our 2015 proves nothing more than that even the best can only do so much with so little in a single season.

All that's why I can see why Manning would be very tempted to stick around with Denver: Our offense can only get better than the one that just WON A SB riding an elite D. The problem is Denver must to make long term QB plans, and the combination of Oz' contract expiring while Manning turns 40 has forced the issue.

The GoAT won't return for $5-10M, which is all we can afford when we NEED to give Oz (or a comparable prospect) 2-3X that so we're not screwed when Manning retires in 2017. Especially when we MUST give Von (and not only Von) a huge contract to preserve the #1 D that won us a SB despite rather than because of Manning, Oz and our Awfense. Manning staying another year only happens in Madden—except even a computer HoFer won't take a 70% paycut after winning a SB.

On top of that are his injury history (and serious enduring effects,) CTE, crap like Al Jazeera/Shaun King and the extreme unlikelihood of a repeat championship at 40. Retiring on top's not just his best option: It's his ONLY realistic one. We're not keeping him, and playing for anyone else would just be risking catastrophic injury for no more return except embarrassing himself nationwide. Thanks for proving yourself the GoAT, Peyton: Please don't kill yourself undercutting your case.

DenBronx
02-28-2016, 07:55 AM
Sanders won't go back to slot. Just stop it.

BroncoJoe
02-28-2016, 08:59 AM
I've changed my mind. RoF for Manning. Not that I was against it, just thought it would be weird.

Thanks for the memories.

BroncoJoe
02-28-2016, 09:40 AM

Look at this picture, Peyton Manning.

Do you honestly think it’s going to get any better than this?

When you talk about leaving a legacy in the NFL, there aren’t many in league history that have been able — or even will be able — to top you.

You have won two World Championships, including the historic Super Bowl 50. Not only have you got two Super Bowl championships, but they are each with a different team. Did you know you’re the only quarterback to ever do that?

Did you know that you have won more games (200) than any other quarterback, regular and post-season combined?

Did you know you’ve thrown more touchdown passes and for more yards than any other quarterback to play the game?

Did you know you have a winning record now against Tom Brady in the playofs? I bet you like that one.

Did you know that your 2013 season with the Denver Broncos is the greatest by a quarterback this league has ever seen?

Peyton, my man — you have done it all. And now you have a chance to ‘ride off into the sunset’…

http://predominantlyorange.com/2016/02/28/peyton-manning-is-this-seriously-happening/

DenBronx
02-28-2016, 09:47 AM
I've changed my mind. RoF for Manning. Not that I was against it, just thought it would be weird.

Thanks for the memories.

Was it the fact that he won us a SB or something else for you?

I always accepted him as a Bronco, even though he crushed us many times in the playoffs. Liked him as a Colt but liked him even more as a Colt. He had a really good run here and career.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-28-2016, 09:59 AM
I'm not convinced he thinks the best thing to do is retire.
Look at how poor his play was at the end of 14', yet he wouldn't turn over the reigns, and cost us a playoff game against the Colts.
He was reportedly resistant to being benched after the Chiefs game, even after throwing 4 interceptions and only 5 completions.
I hope he makes the right choice, but I'm not convinced he's very good at self evaluation.

Joel
02-28-2016, 10:45 AM
Sanders won't go back to slot. Just stop it.
Why not? The matchups are better, and it's not like the slot's a lesser position: In the slot in NE* Welker was probably their BEST WR (and Moss' retirement transformed "probably" to "indisputably.") 6'1" 212 Bennie Fowler matches up better outside than 5'11" 180 Sanders, who's fast enough to blow by most LBs, but can't always outmuscle CBs for balls. Putting Sanders in the slot gives him more chances to make plays in space: It's a feature, not a bug.

Joel
02-28-2016, 10:49 AM
http://predominantlyorange.com/2016/02/28/peyton-manning-is-this-seriously-happening/
That covers it: There's nothing but downside to playing another season, and nothing but upside to retiring with SB Rings on DIFFERENT teams to cap a career full of "only player in history to ever..." stats. Odds are we CUT HIM if he doesn't retire; does he really want to start all over with a THIRD team at FORTY and try to win a THIRD SB before his body completely disintegrates? It's NEVER gonna happen: SB 50 was Mannings FINAL moment in the winners circle—one way or another.

Another season can only end in embarrassment, and possibly serious injury. Go out at the summit of NFL history; don't fall off its cliff.

BroncoJoe
02-28-2016, 10:51 AM
Was it the fact that he won us a SB or something else for you?

I always accepted him as a Bronco, even though he crushed us many times in the playoffs. Liked him as a Colt but liked him even more as a Colt. He had a really good run here and career.

Realizing how absolutely dominating his play was during his time here. His numbers here compare to what some do in an entire career. And yes, winning the SB helps a lot, even though he really wasn't the reason we won it. In fact, you could argue we won it in spite of Manning.

NightTerror218
02-28-2016, 11:19 AM
Why not? The matchups are better, and it's not like the slot's a lesser position: In the slot in NE* Welker was probably their BEST WR (and Moss' retirement transformed "probably" to "indisputably.") 6'1" 212 Bennie Fowler matches up better outside than 5'11" 180 Sanders, who's fast enough to blow by most LBs, but can't always outmuscle CBs for balls. Putting Sanders in the slot gives him more chances to make plays in space: It's a feature, not a bug.

He is the deep vertical threat. And we do more double TE sets in Kubiak's typical scheme.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-28-2016, 12:47 PM
His Bronc riding days are over; the last rodeo is done.

Peyton Manning is saying goodbye; it's been lots of fun.

According to two sources, Manning will acknowledge his decision by the end of this week.

These sources also say that Peyton, who will turn 40 on March 24, is leaving the Broncos and retiring from the game he has played competitively for 29 years.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_29570921/paige-broncos-peyton-manning-will-ride-off-into?source=rss

BroncoWave
02-28-2016, 01:10 PM
Realizing how absolutely dominating his play was during his time here. His numbers here compare to what some do in an entire career. And yes, winning the SB helps a lot, even though he really wasn't the reason we won it. In fact, you could argue we won it in spite of Manning.

By the same token you can argue he was a big part of setting the groundwork for us to even be competing for Super Bowls in the first place.

Joel
02-28-2016, 01:39 PM
He is the deep vertical threat. And we do more double TE sets in Kubiak's typical scheme.
The second point's a good one, largely mooting the "who's our #3 WR?" question. But Sanders can and will remain a deep vertical threat WHEREVER he lines up; even if he doesn't, DTs 40-time is actually listed at 0.03 FASTER, plus he's got about 50 lbs. and 4" on Sanders with which to go up and fight for balls.

If we primarily stay in 3WR, Fowler (or someone comparable) would probably help the run game more in the slot. In terms of passing alone though, Sanders would burn LBs and safeties deep a LOT if he were in the slot while DT and a #2 WR occupied both CBs.

MOtorboat
02-28-2016, 01:59 PM
I'm glad Peyton Manning was a Bronco.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Is Peyton Manning going to ride off into the sunset after winning his second Super Bowl? Woody Paige of the Denver Post writes two sources have told him that Manning will announce his retirement by the end of the week.

Shortly after that report, the Broncos responded directly, with Broncos PR man Patrick Smythe refuting the report on Twitter and saying Manning has made no decision on his future.

"Peyton has not made a decision on his future," Smythe tweeted. "Plan remains for him to continue talks with the team this week."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25498425/broncos-refute-manning-retirement-report-peyton-has-not-made-a-decision

slim
02-28-2016, 03:44 PM
I'm glad Peyton Manning was a Bronco.
Me too

DenBronx
02-28-2016, 06:11 PM
He will forever be a Bronco.

Nomad
02-28-2016, 07:47 PM
For me.....it's a love/dislike for Peyton. He put the BRONCOS back on the map, and I thank him for that. Now, I have to hope the BRONCOS get the same tv time here in AK. I do thank Manning for being a BRONCO, and helping to bring the Lombardi back to Dove Valley.

TXBRONC
02-28-2016, 08:47 PM
I'm glad Manning was a Bronco. I wouldn't say he put Denver back on the map but he did help.

Nomad
02-28-2016, 08:55 PM
I'm glad Manning was a Bronco. I wouldn't say he put Denver back on the map but he did help.

Live up here, and you'd agree.;)

Denver Native (Carol)
02-28-2016, 09:20 PM
If Manning plans to play next season, he must undergo a team physical by Friday, Rapoport added.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000639608/article/report-peyton-manning-to-acknowledge-hes-retiring

sneakers
02-29-2016, 06:57 AM
that's a lot of touchdowns