PDA

View Full Version : Elway hopeful about early talks with Von Miller

Denver Native (Carol)
02-25-2016, 09:41 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — It's unnecessary to say that retaining the Super Bowl MVP is quite high on the Broncos' offseason to-do list. At the very least, the Broncos could give their franchise-tag designation to outside linebacker Von Miller, which would allow him and the team to table negotiations for another year, if necessary.

But the hope is that the two sides will come together to agree on a new long-term deal before discussions even get to franchise-tag deadline of March 1. Speaking with local media on Thursday from the Scouting Combine at Lucas Oil Stadium, Executive Vice President of Football Operations and General Manager John Elway was upbeat about how talks have gone so far.

"I'm excited about it. It has been positive," Elway said. "We'll talk to [Miller's agent] Joby [Branion] tomorrow and see where it is. But so far it's been good. I think we're in the ballpark."

rest - plus video
http://www.denverbroncos.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Elway-hopeful-about-early-talks-with-Von-Miller/b44a7897-36f8-4082-904c-854860761746

BroncoBuckeye73
02-25-2016, 09:52 PM
I have read that too Carol exciting news if it happens before we have to tag him.

Cugel
02-29-2016, 12:08 PM
Well, a deal's not going to happen soon. They are using the franchise tag on Miller, just as I and everybody else predicted.

Optimism remains, but the reality of a deadline has intervened (http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29574029/broncos-prepared-place-exclusive-franchise-tag-von-miller). The Broncos have been encouraged by contract talks with Von Miller, but barring a last-minute agreement, they are expected to place the exclusive franchise tag on their all-pro outside linebacker before Tuesday's deadline arrives.

Negotiations gained momentum last week at the NFL scouting combine, where general manager John Elway met with Miller's agent. The franchise tag represents a tool for the Broncos to buy time to strike a long-term deal before July 15. The tag would guarantee Miller a salary of $14.04 million for the 2016 season if a long-term deal isn't secured.

The Broncos' three previous franchise-tag players all agreed to long-term contracts: offensive tackle Ryan Clady, kicker Matt Prater and wide receiver Demaryius Thomas.

An exclusive tag represents a difference from Thomas last season, and signals in the strongest terms that Miller isn't going anywhere. Under this designation, Miller would not be permitted to negotiate with other teams. His salary would be calculated by the average of the five highest 2016 salary cap numbers at his position.

The nonexclusive tag was applied to Thomas last year. That permitted teams to sign Thomas to an offer sheet that the Broncos could match, and if they refused, they would receive two first-round draft picks.

Justin Houston's six-year, $101 million contract with the Kansas City Chiefs is note- worthy in Miller's situation. Houston, an outside linebacker, received a $20.5 million signing bonus last July in a deal with $52.5 million guaranteed. CBS Sports' Joel Corry, a former agent, predicted last week that a Miller deal would average at least $17 million per season with $55 million guaranteed.

Miller's agent wants him to be the highest paid defensive player in the NFL, so he basically has to go through FA to see what other offers get made to other players, although there are really no comparable players on the market this off-season.

That won't stop the Broncos from getting a new contract, but it will stop them from concluding one before FA starts.

DenBronx
02-29-2016, 12:19 PM
17 mill a year for a LB, wowzer!! :eek:

Good for him, he's our best player.

OrangeHoof
02-29-2016, 12:58 PM
He played his best at the optimal time for a big contract.

Davii
02-29-2016, 01:16 PM
He played his best at the optimal time for a big contract.

And for a Championship.

TXBRONC
02-29-2016, 01:24 PM
I was hoping they could get this done without the franchise tag but it is no surprise that things are going down this way.

Joel
02-29-2016, 01:33 PM
17 mill a year for a LB, wowzer!! :eek:

Good for him, he's our best player.
Worth every penny if we can do that; I expected more like an average of $20M/yr. There really AREN'T any contracts comparable to a SB MVP (I can't find anything on the AFCCG MVP, but he should've won that one, too.) Pity we couldn't have worked out a deal before his contract ended, because this is the risk of waiting.

Tned
02-29-2016, 01:56 PM
In honor of a former member, I'm going to say what none of you are brave enough to say.

Von is a one trick pony and the Broncos are better off spending their money on multiple free agents than giving a one trick pony a mega deal.

Cugel
02-29-2016, 02:06 PM
Worth every penny if we can do that; I expected more like an average of $20M/yr. There really AREN'T any contracts comparable to a SB MVP (I can't find anything on the AFCCG MVP, but he should've won that one, too.) Pity we couldn't have worked out a deal before his contract ended, because this is the risk of waiting.

Basically, you beat me to this Joel. Miller's agent wants MORE than Suh's $114M, 6 year contract with $60 M guaranteed and a $25 M signing bonus. MORE.

He might get it too.

CoachChaz
02-29-2016, 02:13 PM
In honor of a former member, I'm going to say what none of you are brave enough to say.

Von is a one trick pony and the Broncos are better off spending their money on multiple free agents than giving a one trick pony a mega deal.

I would disagree with the "one trick pony" sentiment, evidenced on how well he played in pass coverage when needed and his impact on the run game as well. However, I would agree that I'm not sure any player outside of a QB is worth 17-20 mil.

Tned
02-29-2016, 02:14 PM
I would disagree with the "one trick pony" sentiment, evidenced on how well he played in pass coverage when needed and his impact on the run game as well. However, I would agree that I'm not sure any player outside of a QB is worth 17-20 mil.

Did you see his lame attempt at covering the WR on the sideline in the AFCCG (or was that the SB)?

dogfish
02-29-2016, 02:31 PM

thank you, JR Whiz. . . :lol:

TXBRONC
02-29-2016, 02:53 PM

That former member would have also said offer Von an incentive based deal. Then said poster would have transitioned into a rant about Shanahan.

TXBRONC
02-29-2016, 02:54 PM

It was sarcasm.

TXBRONC
02-29-2016, 02:56 PM
Did you see his lame attempt at covering the WR on the sideline in the AFCCG (or was that the SB)?

It was the Super Bowl.

Joel
02-29-2016, 03:35 PM
Super Bowl: AFCCG was when he came back after a near-sack to pick off Brady in their red zone on the very next play, neatly setting up our 2nd TD. Von's always been a great run stuffer, which, combined with his quickly developed coverage skills, are why I wanted him at MLB when we ran a 4-3: Because he's a master-of-all-trades we'd be lucky to keep for $17M/yr. 3-4 OLB's his natural position though, so he's worth almost any price there.

Too bad his contract ended the year he was MVP of the SB and AFCCG. This is still a no-brainer though; it's just gonna cost a lot more.

Tned
02-29-2016, 04:18 PM
:D Ok, no more trolling for me. And, to think I'm sober.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-29-2016, 08:07 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 59m

#Broncos Von Miller on contract talks. "I want to be there my whole career."

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1h

#Broncos Von Miller on NFL Network on contract talks "I want to be there with my teammates. Whatever takes to do that I am all for it."

Tned
02-29-2016, 08:36 PM
Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 59m

#Broncos Von Miller on contract talks. "I want to be there my whole career."

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 1h

#Broncos Von Miller on NFL Network on contract talks "I want to be there with my teammates. Whatever takes to do that I am all for it."

Whatever it takes as long as it includes being the highest paid defensive player in the NFL?

Denver Native (Carol)
02-29-2016, 08:40 PM
Von Miller wants to be a Bronco for life. The Broncos want him as part of their longterm core.

In the meantime, they need to secure him for the upcoming season. The puzzle begins to take shape Tuesday. The Broncos will place the exclusive franchise tag on the outside linebacker by Tuesday's 2 p.m. deadline, stiff-arming teams away from him. Uncertainty surrounds multiple other positions as the Broncos face the possibility of defensive end Malik Jackson and quarterback Brock Osweiler hitting the market Monday.

Miller, 26, isn't going anywhere. Nor does he want to.

"I have never been franchised before so I can't really say, 'Hey I don't want to be franchised. I don't want to do this.' I can tell you what: I want to be with the Denver Broncos," Miller said Tuesday night on the NFL Network. "I want to be with Derek Wolfe, Chris Harris, all those guys, DT (Demaryius Thomas). I want to be with those guys my whole career, and whatever it takes to get it done I am down for."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29577937/von-miller-headed-franchise-tag-wants-be-broncos

TXBRONC
02-29-2016, 08:44 PM
I hope they can get this done sooner rather than later.

WARHORSE
02-29-2016, 10:37 PM
Von wants to be in Denver and I think he will get it done.......Malik? Hes after the bunny rabbit.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-29-2016, 11:01 PM
Miller: 'Whatever it takes to get it done'
Broncos linebacker Von Miller told the "NFL Total Access" crew he wanted to be with the Denver Broncos.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Miller-Whatever-it-takes-to-get-it-done/a3b187b2-3219-40d6-90c2-34ae29e1cad0

Listen to everything Von said

Joel
02-29-2016, 11:09 PM
rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_29577937/von-miller-headed-franchise-tag-wants-be-broncos
Very tactful: The three guys he named are all under contracts likely to ensure they retire Broncos, too. Not "I wanna be with Oz and Malik" which would've only highlighted the pressure on Elway, but it DOES highlight the kind of big long contract it'll take to keep the SB MVP and former DRoY in Orange and Blue.

Pretty sharp for a dumb Aggie.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-01-2016, 12:04 PM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 3h

Ndamukong Suh is so big, so bad, he stands in way of Broncos and Von Miller from deal. http://www.9news.com/sports/the-case-for-von-miller/61938453 …
via @@9NEWS #9news #9sports

GEM
03-01-2016, 12:36 PM
He's officially been franchise tagged. http://www.thedenverchannel.com/sports/broncos/von-miller-gets-denver-broncos-exclusive-franchise-tag?audiencePageId=1536717044