PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak combine presser

VonDoom
02-24-2016, 10:35 AM
Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 14m14 minutes ago

Kubiak: "We have a young man on our practice squad, Kapri Bibbs, who fits what we do."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 14m14 minutes ago

Kubiak on Peyton: "The bottom line is we made a decision on how we'll go about it. It's about him taking his time. ... Nothing has changed."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 13m13 minutes ago

Kubiak said he will likely talk to Peyton today. John Elway has had conversations with him.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 13m13 minutes ago

Kubiak: Osweiler "has a bright future ... obviously we think the world of him." Wants him to be a part of the team.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 12m12 minutes ago

Kubiak, on the OL: "We're young & we like our future from that standpoint. At the same time I definitely feel like we have to improve."

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 12m12 minutes ago

#Broncos Kubiak said key to RB position is keeping CJ Anderson healthy.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 11m11 minutes ago

Kubiak: "It is more difficult" to evaluate draft OL now compared w/ 10 years ago because of proliferation of spread offenses

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 10m10 minutes ago

Kubiak mentioned @MGarcia_76. Said they knew after talking to him at the combine last year he would be good fit & was very knowledgeable.

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 9m9 minutes ago

#Broncos Kubiak said Ty Sambrailo expected healthy for offseason workouts. Will stay at tackle "He has a bright future."

Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 8m8 minutes ago

Gary Kubiak: "@CodyLatimer14 has starter ability. He's become an excellent special teams player....I think you'll continue to see him grow."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 7m7 minutes ago

Kubiak: In #SB50, Broncos "stayed true to what we did ... the effort that we played with was the difference."

TXBRONC
02-24-2016, 10:46 AM
I like the comment about offensive linemen.

VonDoom
02-24-2016, 11:28 AM
Nicki Jhabvala ‏@NickiJhabvala 29m29 minutes ago

Kubiak said he hasn't spoken with DeMarcus Ware about his future. "Obviously you know I think the world of him."

Patrick Smyth ‏@psmyth12 27m27 minutes ago

Coach Kubiak from Indy: "John has done a great job thru the years, and I'm sure he'll do the same this offseason."

Cecil Lammey ‏@CecilLammey 21m21 minutes ago

as I reported on @1043TheFan there's confidence in the air at #NFLCombine in regards to #Broncos signing Brock Osweiler in the near future

Lindsay Jones ‏@bylindsayhjones 19m19 minutes ago

The Broncos will not delay start of their offseason program, even though they were given the option to by the league.

Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 13m13 minutes ago

John Fox on Elway saying HC switch to Kubiak was justified by AFC title/SB "I don't really pay attention to what is said" #9news #9sports

Joel
02-24-2016, 11:43 AM
Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 13m13 minutes ago

John Fox on Elway saying HC switch to Kubiak was justified by AFC title/SB "I don't really pay attention to what is said" #9news #9sports
"... or done." Enjoy the Great Chicago Dumpster Fire, Foxy; every time I think about the likelihood of Fox motivating Cutler I burst out laughing.

Cheers to Bob McNair down in Houston, too; guess we've established once and for all what the 2013 Texans' problem was (hint: Denver didn't get blown and SHUT out 30-0 at home by a team that hadn't won a playoff game since it had Joe Montana and Marcus Allen.) ;)

Tned
02-24-2016, 02:19 PM
Here's the full set of quotes released by the team:

On his status of the running back position

“Well, Ronnie [Hillman] is a free [agent]. I’ve got to get all of my ducks in a row here. Both those guys (Hillman & C.J. Anderson) did a really good job for us. [RB] Juwan [Thompson] had some injuries for us. I think he’s got a bright future. We’ve got a young man on our practice squad—Kapri Bibbs—who I think fits what we want to do. We’ve got four good young players, and hopefully Ronnie is still part of that. We’ll go from there. I thought we got better as the season went along. Keeping C.J. healthy I think is the key moving forward.”

On his thoughts on former offensive assistant/quarterbacks Brian Callahan

“First off, very happy for him. He did a tremendous job for us. He had been there I think five years before I came in. Obviously with us this past year, but I think Brian has got a bright future. [He’s] able to go to Detroit, work with some familiar people from that standpoint and obviously work with a great quarterback. He’s got a bright future. His dad did a great job with him. He’s a great kid and works really hard. He’s very bright.”

On his sense on what QB Peyton Manning will do

“I think the bottom line is we made a decision of how we’re going to go about it. Once again it’s about him taking his time to work through things and think through things. There is no hurry here. I want him to enjoy what just took place. We’ll go from there. Nothing has changed from that standpoint. That plan continues to be in place. I think he and [Executive Vice President of Football Operations/General Manager] John [Elway] have had some conversations. I had a brief one with him yesterday. We will be talking probably today or I know this week. We want him to take his time and we’ll work from there. Nothing has changed.”

On if there is a specific timeframe when the team expects a decision by Manning

“I wouldn’t say that. I think it’s free agency and all of those things leading up to it. There are obviously time frames in our business, but I think we kind of went through this last year and we’re going to stick to it exactly how we did it last year.”

On QB Brock Osweiler’s growth as a player

“I think he has a bright future, obviously. He did a heck of a job for us. He started seven games for us. He played against some really good people in some tough situations. He played very well. I think he has a bright future. Obviously we think the world of him. We want him to be a part of our football team. We have a lot of guys that free [agents] like that. He’s been real special with the job he’s done this year. I think he’s grown a great deal.”

On why it is difficult to scout college quarterbacks who play in spread offenses

“A lot of it is projecting guys going under center. I know that sounds simple, but that is a little bit more of a conversion then you would think. I think you’re looking at those types of things. I think studying guys sometimes that play in the gun the whole time and trying to project them and what you do, making the conversion, how quick they can make it, it might be a little harder as a coach to make that decision as compared to watching a guy do the type of things that you do for three or four years in college. I think that’s part of the tough part. You’re looking for the ability to things more than anything. It’s your job as a coach once you get that to fit them to the type of system—or what they do best—to what your team does best.

On if offensive line is a priority in the draft

“We went through a great deal—a lot of tough times this year. You guys know that. Worked on tackles four and five through most of the year. I think with the situation we went through, we had to move some guys around. [G] Evan [Mathis] and [G Louis] Lou [Vasquez] were beat up a great deal of time. I would think of it this way. First of all, I think we’re young, and so I like our future from that standpoint. At the same time, we feel like we definitely have to improve. Does that make it a high priority? I don’t know. We’re going prepare for this draft at every position just like we do each and every year. Obviously it’s a position that we feel like we need to improve upon offensively.”

On the coaching staff’s role in the draft

“It’s very important. You can’t sit here as a coach—that’s John’s business dealing with the free agents, taking care of all of those things. You’re trying to keep those things in place. As a coach, our job is to go out and evaluate, which is what we’ve been doing the past couple of weeks. Trying to evaluate real quickly. Our season is very long. Try to suggest to John that we think we can get better. Now we’ve got to go evaluate these young men and come back with a good idea of what they can do and how they can help our football team. I think every draft is big and obviously this one will be very important to us.”

On why it is hard for teams to repeat as Super Bowl champions

“I don’t know. We’re fixing to find out. That’s the biggest thing. This league is just so good. There is such a fine line between winning and losing. Heck, you know that as well as anybody following us the last five or six weeks of the season, the types of games we were in and the close football games. We found a way to get it done each and every week. I think that’s what is so difficult because you go right back to work. Everybody is getting a little bit better. The schedule gets tougher. All of those things. I think our division is becoming a really difficult division. I think it’s going to be really tough. I was just talking to one of the coaches in the hall as I was coming in. I just think it’s the National Football League. Everybody is getting better. That’s why we’re here today for this week to get better as a football team. Each organization will go get better and compete again.”

On evaluating offensive linemen that played in a spread offense

“It is more difficult, I think, because of the types of things they are doing. Especially watching them in the run game. When they are in the spread game it’s a little bit of a different type of run game as far as watching a guy come off the ball and power-type football and those types of things. I think evaluating their football knowledge [is important]. In my history with guys—we had a guy like [G] Max [Garcia] last year that came to play for us from [the University of] Florida. Through this combine and through our time with Max, we knew talking football to him that he could make a quick transition. I think that’s really important—their football knowledge and how quick they can help you.”

On if left and right tackles are equally important in today’s game

“I think what you see in our league is if you have a staple at left tackle—a Pro Bowl player—you can help the other player a lot in certain situations. If you’re not in that [situation], it’s hard to help two guys, especially with great pass rushers and defensive coordinators who move people around. That makes it more difficult. Obviously tackles are extremely important positions. We played with a young one in [T] Michael Schofield this year for I think 13 weeks and then [T] Ryan Harris, who we picked up midway through the [offseason]. They battled for us and did a good job but I think if you’re going to throw the football and protect the quarterback it’s a very important position.”

On the status of T Ty Sambrailo

“He’s doing very well. The expectations are for Ty to be there when we go to OTAs.”

On whether Sambrailo will stay at tackle

“Oh yes, definitely. He has a bright future.”

On what he learned during his season as Baltimore’s offensive coordinator in 2014

“I handle my team differently that I would say I did in the past in Houston. I watched [Head Coach] John [Harbaugh] do it—how he handled his football team. I watched [General Manager & Executive VP] Ozzie [Newsome] and how he went about things. So I took a lot of things with me. I really felt like I learned a lot. I think anytime as a coach you’re trying to grow—just handling some personalities, handling some people, trying to do a little bit better job with that maybe than you felt like you did in the past. I was just very impressed with how John handled his team on a day-to-day basis.”

On WR Cody Latimer

“I think he made a lot of progress this year, especially the last eight weeks of the season. I think Cody has starter ability in this league and that’s what you’re looking for. He’s playing behind two really good players. He’s become an excellent special-teams player, which was a different for our football team. He might have been as good a special-teams player—he and [CB] Kayvon [Webster]—as we had probably the last eight weeks of the season. I think Cody is a confident young man and think you’re going to continue to see him grow.”

On tailoring an offensive with quarterbacks that have different skill sets

“That questions is easy for me to answer because this year we went through a lot of the same type of stuff. I think as a coach you have to adjust. We went through about three different offensive football teams throughout the course of our season. We had a veteran—one of the greatest players this league has ever seen—and then we had a young player for seven weeks. You have to adjust as coaches and do what’s best for your football team in this league and find a way to be successful this week.”

On how Redskins QB Robert Griffin III could fit with another team as a backup

“I can’t answer that. He’s obviously a very talented young man. As guys keep battling and keep working, they find a way to make it work in this league. I’m sure he will too.”

On Bills QB Tyrod Taylor

“I was with Tyrod in Baltimore. I think a great deal of him. It was great to see him get an opportunity there in Buffalo and play extremely well. He’s a talented young man and he works really hard at what he does. He’s a great example of a young player coming up the way they used to back in the day, getting a lot of experience playing behind a really good player and then getting an opportunity. Obviously he did a really good job. He’s a fine young man.”

On being prepared for Carolina’s diversified offense in Super Bowl 50

“I think we just stayed true to what we did. We didn’t change a lot. We didn’t try to go and do something different than what we were throughout the course of the season. I think [Defensive Coordinator] Wade [Phillips’] scheme is very simple but he gets guys in the right position, turns them loose and lets them play. I think the effort that we played with was the difference. I think we played extremely hard. We knew we were going to have to chase the ball and chase [Panthers QB Cam Newton] around the majority of the day. I just felt we did a really good job with that.”

On his thoughts on expanding instant replay

“Whatever gets it right. Whatever we can do to get as close to being exactly right on gameday, I think everybody wants without slowing the game down. Without slowing the pace of the game down and having big delays but trying to get things right, I think we’re all in favor of that.”

Joel
02-25-2016, 01:10 AM
Wow, having so many guys with bright futures practically assures us a dynasty. :tongue: Kidding; I love Kubiak (even on the few occasions I disagree with him) and that's a big step up from hearing about "correctable mistakes" EVERY SINGLE WEEK. So is winning a SB. :)

NightTerror218
02-25-2016, 11:16 AM
Wow, having so many guys with bright futures practically assures us a dynasty. :tongue: Kidding; I love Kubiak (even on the few occasions I disagree with him) and that's a big step up from hearing about "correctable mistakes" EVERY SINGLE WEEK. So is winning a SB. :)

We have a very young team with some old ass vets. Look how many players are in their first 4 years or so.

Tned
02-26-2016, 02:23 PM
I didn't see a separate thread on Elway's presser (Duke gets no love these days???), so here are the quotes from his:

EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT OF FOOTBALL OPERATIONS/GM JOHN ELWAY

On Tampa Bay QB Jameis Winston having a similar background as a former baseball player

“I thought he had a good year. Obviously he had a lot on his plate and was under a lot of pressure being the No. 1 pick in the draft. He came in and did a nice job. I think he had a good start and it was a good year for him. I think it showed that he can play in this league and continues to get better and better. I was happy for Jameis, and he did have a very good year for his first year, especially with the expectation level and where it was.”

On if QB Peyton Manning has indicated to him whether he wants to continue playing

“I met with Peyton a couple of nights ago. We had a good talk. As I said after the game, we’re going to give him as much time as he needs, and he still needs some more time. We’re going to afford him that time. He’s deserved that after 18 years in this league. To be able to afford him that time to figure out what he wants to do, we’ll continue to do that. That’s where we left it. We’ll stay in touch and in the next week or two we’ll get back together. It’s still in his court. We’re still going to give him that time. Let him enjoy the win. It’s only two and a half weeks since we won. We really want him to be able to enjoy that and give him that time. He’s deserved that. We’ll continue to respect that.”

On if the team is in a rush to make a decision on Manning because of QB Brock Osweiler’s status

“We’re really not in a hurry. Everything is still real fluid. We know where Brock is. Brock knows what we have to offer. We still have a great deal of interest in Brock. We’d like to do something with Brock. We’ll start down those tracks and we’ll start talking to Brock about a new contract and see what we can do there. With that in mind, also affording Peyton the time that he deserves, we’re not in any rush. Like you said, there are 12 days. We don’t feel like we’re in a rush there. We’ll continue to give Peyton that time and continue to work with Brock and try to get something done with Brock.”

On contract negotiations with OLB Von Miller

“We’re in discussions with Von. We’ve exchanged some offers. We continue to be able to meet with his representatives. We feel good about it. Obviously with the career that he’s had already and the way that he played this year, we’re very hopeful that we’ll be able to get something done.”

On the possibility of using the franchise tag on Miller

“I don’t know. We’re always hopeful that if we can get together that we’d like to [come to a long-term agreement].”

On if Manning’s decision to return impacts negotiations with the team’s free agents

“I don’t tie those together. Obviously we’ll have to wait and see. But I think with the discussions that we have going right now, we’re not affected by Peyton’s decision. We’ll continue to work with the contracts that we have with the players that we have—[DE] Malik Jackson as well as Von—and continue to work on that. We’re not tying that in. Again, we’re going to let Peyton have his time.”

On WR Cody Latimer’s progress

“Cody made great strides this year. He kept getting better and better. Near the end of the year, [he] made some good catches for us offensively. Really [he] was a great contributor on special teams. He was a guy with great size and speed, can run, he’s tough, and he just gained some confidence. We really have high expectations for Cody. We think he’s going to continue to get better. With a year under his belt now with the system, we feel like he is just going to continue to get better and better. We’re excited about Cody.”

On Osweiler’s development from college and the difficulties young quarterback face

“I think when Brock came out of college, he was a guy that was in shotgun a lot. He spent a little time underneath [center]. I think what we’re seeing is we’re seeing quarterbacks coming out of college that in shotgun a lot more than we were in my day coming out and really even 10 years ago. Guys are not spending much time underneath the center. I think that’s the biggest adjustment for young guys coming out—those kids that have not been underneath the center. To be able to come out and go through the drops, the reads and progression, coming out from underneath the center is the development side that we need that the young kids have to have coming out now because you’re going to be underneath the center in the NFL. Not only the rhythm side of it, but also the vision side of it. As far as what you can see coming out from underneath the center is different from shotgun. You can see better in shotgun and you have to be used to be being able to have some of your vision not be as great coming out from underneath the center. Those are the type things that the young guys are working on coming out.”

On his confidence in Osweiler

“I think that with the sample size that we got from Brock, we were excited about what we saw. I think when you look at the seven games that he started and the way that he played, he made some good strides. You never know what a quarterback can do until he gets in there, gets underneath the gun. I think he proved a lot to us. He’s a guy that is a tough guy. He’s a guy that will stand in there. He can make all the throws. Obviously you always like to have a little bit more consistency, but that’s what young guys continue to get better and better [at] and usually it’s their consistency that gets better. I was really excited with the way Brock played. We wouldn’t have been World Champs without Brock. We needed both quarterbacks to play like they played. It allowed us to be World Champions. I was excited about where Brock is and his process.”

On the potential for Manning to return as the starting quarterback

“Peyton is the same old Peyton that he was. He’s 18 years into it and again it’s going to come down to what Peyton wants to do. If he wants to go through that grind and wants to [do it] again—we’ll have those discussions. Peyton led us to a World Championship and showed you the championship quarterback that he is.”

On the offensive line

“Obviously that’s an area where we need to get better. That’s going to be a focal point for us this year as we go into free agency as well as the draft. [T] Ty [Sambrailo] will come back and we think he’s going to come back and be healthy and he’ll be fine.

On if he would look into restructuring the contracts of veteran players T Ryan Clady and OLB DeMarcus Ware

“Ryan, I’ll sit down and talk to. We haven’t had a chance to really spend any time doing that, and so once we get through this process, get through the combine, then we’ll get back and sit down with him. I’ll talk to all those guys. I’m going to talk to DeMarcus. The time that we haven’t had up until this point, I’ll be able to spend time with them. Ryan will be one of those guys that we’ll sit down and talk to. We have a lot of different plans and a lot of different situations. The closer we get to the deadline and as far as the new league year, we’ll start molding that and see how everything takes shape.”

On if Osweiler wants to know what Manning’s plans are before signing a new contract

“I haven’t talked to Brock yet. I would think that’s probably something Brock would want to know. At this point in time, we’ll talk to Brock, but I’m not going to be able to give him that answer.”

On if he checks out hand size when evaluating quarterbacks

“As a player you never look at that and as a GM you always look at that, right? Actually, I measured my hand probably three months ago to kind of figure out what we were looking at so I could compare. I think it was like 10 1/8 [inches] is what it was. I don’t even know if that’s right but I [just wanted to use that] so I could compare. The only time hand size is important is if you get a bad [weather] day. If you get a wet day or a sloppy day, that’s when hand size really matters because the balls are in such good shape when you get them. To me, when I look at hand size on a quarterback, it’s how well can you throw a wet ball? Usually, the bigger your hand is, the easier it is to throw it in tougher conditions.”

On Head Coach Gary Kubiak continuing to implement his offense

“The key things is we want to score more points this year. I think that’s always the goal. Gary and the staff, they have done a great job of adapting to the people we have. Our goal is to get better on that side, to get better on the offensive line and be able to put some more points on the board. We are always trying to improve on that. Gary has had the same philosophy for a long time. They go through the whole staff during the offseason and look at different things we didn’t do very well and look at things that we did do well and try to improve those things. That’s one thing that makes Gary the great coach that he is because they are always adjusting in the offseasons and trying to get better.”

On Manning’s decision

“We’re going to talk about Peyton, but here’s what I’m going to tell you about Peyton: We’re going to give Peyton the time that Peyton deserves because of 18 years. He deserves that. I don’t mean to leave it out there but Peyton and I have talked and we said, ‘You know what? We’ll get back together in a week to 10 days, see where you are and then we’ll go from there.’ I don’t have anything else to say on Peyton other than we’re going to respect the fact that we’re going to give him some time and let him enjoy it.”

On how Manning’s contract may affect the timing of his decision

“That’s why we’re going to give Peyton the time to think about it and do what he wants to do. Then we’ll go from there. I know we could go back and forth but there is not an answer there yet so I can’t give you one.”

On if there needs to be a better balance between the effectiveness of the offense and defense

“That’s always the goal. Obviously we had the right combination this year because we obtained the ultimate goal. However that combination worked out—scoring more points or stopping people from scoring—we had a great year. The combination that we had worked and that’s what we’re always working for. If we can still play the same type of defense we played last year and get better on offense, that makes us even better. So that’s what our goal is.”

On the running back group

“[RB] C.J. [Anderson] had a good year. [RB] Ronnie Hillman will be a free agent and so we’ll see what happens with Ronnie. [RB] Juwan Thompson had a good year and did a nice job for us on special teams. We’ll continue to try to get better there. We’ll look at that position group in free agency as well as the draft and see if we can get better in that area.”

VonDoom
02-26-2016, 02:35 PM
The Elway quotes are in Carol's general combine thread. But these are much more detailed, so thanks

Ravage!!!
02-26-2016, 04:06 PM
I hope we can find some decent upgrades at RB. I'm just not impressed with any of ours, at the moment.

underrated29
02-26-2016, 04:23 PM
I hope we can find some decent upgrades at RB. I'm just not impressed with any of ours, at the moment.

You will become a bibbsliever.
Oh yes, Rav. You will.

Ravage!!!
02-26-2016, 05:21 PM
You will become a bibbsliever.
Oh yes, Rav. You will.

hah... well.. I guess I hope so.