PDA

View Full Version : Broncos sign DT Phil Taylor

VonDoom
02-22-2016, 05:32 PM
Does this warrant a thread? I don't know, but I figured it couldn't hurt:

The Broncos have signed former Browns first-round defensive tackle Phil Taylor, ESPN’s Field Yates reported Monday.

Taylor was out of football last season due to a knee injury. The Browns cut him in training camp last summer despite his fifth-year option on his rookie contract making his salary guaranteed.

Taylor visited with some other teams following his release, including the Steelers, but never signed a contract.

Tom Heckert, now the director of pro personnel with the Broncos, was general manager of the Browns when they traded down in the first round in 2011 and selected Taylor. The Broncos probably see Taylor as a low-risk/high-reward addition to a talented defensive line that could lose Malik Jackson in free agency.

Though he was never dominant, Taylor was solid when healthy for the Browns. He had seven sacks in his first three seasons but was limited to four games in 2014.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/22/broncos-sign-phil-taylor/

Davii
02-22-2016, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the heads up VonDoom.

BroncoNut
02-22-2016, 05:44 PM
why is this the first ive heard of Tom Heckert

Rick
02-22-2016, 05:52 PM
NFL.com has him listed at 335lbs. Big boy.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-22-2016, 05:57 PM
why is this the first ive heard of Tom Heckert

I think there was a nice write up on him and his drinking exploits a few years back.

dogfish
02-22-2016, 06:00 PM
he was very good when his knees were right. . . probably a vet minimum range signing, so there's no risk. . . i don't know how great he fits into a primarily one-gap scheme, but there's certainly no harm trying. . . could be a steal if his knees are healthy. . .

TXBRONC
02-22-2016, 06:41 PM
I have never heard of him before.

olathebroncofan
02-22-2016, 07:03 PM
And it begins again...the love affair with former browns staff and players. Well at least we won a super bowl before this happened.

I remember seeing him play. I thought he was pretty good.

TXBRONC
02-22-2016, 07:21 PM
And it begins again...the love affair with former browns staff and players. Well at least we won a super bowl before this happened.

This isn't going tp be like the Browncos.

Ziggy
02-22-2016, 10:21 PM

No, it started with TJ Ward and worked out pretty well.

Phil Taylor is worth a flyer. He made his name before the draft at the senior bowl. He was completely unblockable that week and raised his draft status to a first rounder. Injuries have de-railed his career. The Broncos aren't investing a pick or a player. It brings another big body into training camp. If he doesn't pan out, the Broncos have lost nothing. As usual, I like the move by Elway.

broncobryce
02-22-2016, 10:56 PM
he was very good when his knees were right. . . probably a vet minimum range signing, so there's no risk. . . i don't know how great he fits into a primarily one-gap scheme, but there's certainly no harm trying. . . could be a steal if his knees are healthy. . .

I agree. I was hoping Denver would sign him last year (I didn't know how bad his injuries were). Dude was a STUD when healthy

Simple Jaded
02-22-2016, 11:47 PM
This could be a Marvin Austin-esq move if he's healthy, being able to rotate with Syl Wil should help Taylor.

OrangeHoof
02-23-2016, 01:04 PM
The Brownco pipeline continues. Defensive depth can't hurt. He couldn't have been very expensive to sign so "Welcome Aboard."